THE PAST REMEMBERED: Part 21

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Beautiful little boys. Beautiful little boys. The words performed an endless loop in Jack O'Neill's brain, accompanied by images of a miniature Daniel Jackson being violated by... 'Didn't happen, O'Neill, get a grip.' Jack shook his head to dispel the horrific image, then growled, "Your father did nothing to stop him? To protect other children?"

Nichols drew himself up angrily. "I know what you're thinking. My father should have turned him in. Well, he was caught between a rock and a hard place. From what he told me, Parker had evidence linking him to the murders of the Jacksons while he had none at all to link Parker to child... abuse."

"How," Sam's voice shook with emotion, "how do you know he s..saved Daniel?"

"Dad had evidence showing that Parker knew the Jacksons prior to their deaths, something Parker had not admitted to when he took over the investigation of their deaths. Dad put the kid in the hands of Social Services and faked a next of kin status for him so that Parker couldn't claim him."

"C..Claim him?" O'Neill glanced at his second in command, the fury in her voice promising dire consequences to someone.

"Parker had planned to present someone other than himself as a second cousin and get legal custody of the kid. Dad falsified a paternal grandfather, hoping that would take precedence over a second cousin. Apparently it worked, because Parker wasn't able to get the kid out of hock."

Jack glared at the man. "Why? Why not turn Parker in?"

"I told you. He would have gone down for the murders he didn't commit."

"Not good enough. He could've turned state's evidence. Testified against Parker."

"Not and live."


Daniel wrapped his arms tightly around his chest, trying to keep the warmth in, and the videos out. Forcing himself to focus on a dirty speck of tile in the floor, he failed to notice the door opening.

"Enjoying the movies, Dr. Jackson?" A voice as cold as the refrigerated truck came from the man standing in the doorway.

"ACHOOO!" Daniel jumped as he sneezed. "N..never have been m..much on home movies."

"Why Doctor, you seem to have caught a cold."

"Allergies. ACHOOOO!"

"Ah ha." The videos ceased as Parker leaned against the doorjamb. "Now that you've remembered, we really need to have a chat."

Daniel rubbed his weary, watering eyes, then glared at the other man. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, dear. I was really hoping you wouldn't make this difficult. Gentlemen, Dr. Jackson needs convincing. Bring him."

Daniel groaned inwardly as the two goons from the truck moved quickly into the room. Taking hold of his arms, they forced the young man to his feet, keeping him upright as a series of sneezes emphasized the ache in his joints and jolted his spine.

"That's a nasty cold, Dr. Jackson. You really should take better care of yourself." Parker smiled benignly as he left the cellar accommodations.

Daniel's retort was cut-off by a round of coughing, made worse by the forced motion as the thugs dragged him out of the room.


Teal'c leaned against the wall in General Hammond's office and watched Major Harris with barely disguised displeasure. Daniel Jackson was missing. Lieutenant McIntosh was involved. The Jaffa saw no need for subtlety. The man should be made to speak. Immediately. The former First Prime of Apophis could not entirely understand why the general had refused his offer to obtain the desired information from the maintenance officer. After all, Teal'c had almost guaranteed the lieutenant would survive the experience. Instead he was forced to remain idle while Major Harris conducted the interrogation. Interrogation. Ha! It was painfully obvious to the Jaffa that the NID did not understand how to properly solicit cooperation. Well, General Hammond had requested that he refrain from participating, therefore he would do nothing. For now.


Major Harris smiled inwardly while remaining outwardly emotionless. The Jaffa's presence was having the desired effect, although he doubted the alien was even aware of it. Lieutenant McIntosh squirmed in his seat, unaccustomed to sitting while his superiors stood. Normal procedures would have required the suspect to stand at attention, but Harris had learned through long experience that cooperation could often be gained by throwing the suspect off kilter. Therefore, McIntosh sat while he and the general circled around him like birds of prey. Of course, the solid mass that was Teal'c spoke silent volumes about disapproval and Harris was pleased to note that the lieutenant kept one eye always turned toward the Jaffa. Clearing his throat he asked another question. "So, you had orders to go to Dr. Jackson's?"

"Yes, sir. I was told he was having difficulty with the secure line to the SGC."

"Who ordered you to check the line?"

"Sir?"

"Who told you to go there?"

"Why, no one, sir. The work order was on my assignment list one morning, along with the key to his apartment."

"And you didn't find that to be unusual?"

"Well, no sir. I'd done similar work at Colonel O'Neill's, but he was home at the time."

"So you were alone at Dr. Jackson's?"

"No, sir."

"But you just said..."

"Airman Barkley was with me, sir. He is, uh, was a trainee. Actually he was slated to be my replacement since my promotion came through." McIntosh absently fingered the new gold bar on his uniform as he spoke.

"Was?"

"Yes, sir. A real whiz with a network connection. I was sorry to lose him."

"He's no longer here?" Harris struggled to keep the anxiety out of his voice.

"No, sir. He was transferred to Washington. Left two days ago."


"Ah ha. I'm not buying that, Major. He obviously had enough on Parker to keep the man at bay for thirty years. I'm thinking there was something else. Perhaps the missing artifacts from the Jacksons' excavation?"

The Army major paled. "N..No."

"Exactly how much do ancient Egyptian relics bring on the black market, Major?"

Carter glanced puzzled at her CO, but wisely remained silent as he continued. "The storage vault's empty, isn't it, Nichols? That's why your father decided to return the journals to Daniel, he was out of goods, and was really hoping Daniel would lead him to the tomb."

"No! I'm telling you he--"

"Cut the crap, Major!" Jack pushed past the startled man and yanked an urn from a shelf behind him. "This is a burial urn. Shall we have it tested for age? I'm guessing it's really, really old. Probably held somebody's liver or heart or something at one time."

"I..It's a replica. Not the real thing."

"Carter, contact Gen--"

"Wait." Nichols' pale face was sweating bullets. "You're right. It's real, but I swear, I didn't know where it came from until recently."

"So the vault is empty." Jack managed to conceal his concern that the Goa'uld ribbon device was now in the hands of some private collector of illegal artifacts. But, he reasoned, they wouldn't be able to make it work.

"No, my father didn't sell anything. Hell, until two weeks ago, I thought that urn was a replica of a trip Dad took to Egypt in the seventies."

O'Neill glared at the younger man. "Do you know where the storage vault is?"

"No. Dad was going to tell me, but he was murdered."

Carter interrupted, confusion in her eyes. "I don't understand. Why didn't Parker try to get to your father through you, or your mother?"

Nichols smiled arrogantly. "Mom died when I was a baby. Car wreck, but apparently Dad did all the right things to keep me safe. Parker's never tried to bother me or my family."

Sam's face was glacial as she replied. "So he protected his own child, but other children were fair game."

"What?"

"He left Parker out there, to prey on other kids, possibly even Daniel." Scorn and disgust colored her tones.

"I don't know what you're getting so huffy about. Dad's ruse apparently worked, because Parker wasn't able to get the kid out of hock."

"The kid has a name. Daniel Jackson, age five. Five, dammit to hell, and he wasn't an item in a pawn shop, he was a traumatized, frightened little boy who'd seen his parents crushed to death." Jack motioned a livid Sam out the door, then turned back to the major. "And the paternal grandfather who didn't exist? Well, there was a maternal grandfather that did, but I'm guessing no one even bothered to look for him. Thanks to your father. So Daniel was dumped into foster care. Again, thanks to your father. Remember that when you see your kids. Oh, and by the way, don't bother trying to run. NID will be here soon to take up where we left off." As Jack left the office, he had the small satisfaction of seeing Major Nichols slump into a chair, his head buried in his hands.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||