THE PAST REMEMBERED: Part 20

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


"Actually," Jack replied coldly, "You can do quite a bit, Major. Or should I say, Colonel. Colonel John Black?"

The color leached rapidly from the major's face as his hand froze on the door handle in front of him. "I...I don..." The man paused, took a deep breath, then continued. "I can explain, Colonel."

O'Neill said nothing, his icy glare pulling the younger man to attention. Carter smiled inwardly, then spoke up. "Major, I assume you understand that you can be court-martialled for impersonating a superior officer."

"Yes, Major."

"Is this your office?" Sam nodded toward the pale yellow door behind the man.

"Yes, Major."

"Inside would probably be a better place for a discussion, don't you think?"

Her smile was almost feral in nature, leaving the man wondering who he should fear more ... the colonel with ice in his eyes, or the major with ice in her voice. Gulping, he stammered. "R..right this way, ma'am, sir."


The knock was so soft Hammond almost missed it entirely. "Come!"

A very nervous airman entered quickly, and froze at attention, his body language spelling 'terrified' in big bold letters. "The first part of the lab results just came in, sir. Captain Hargrave thought you'd want to see them first."

"He thought correctly, Airman. Where is the captain?"

"He's still reviewing the other half, sir. Shall I get him?"

"No, that's quite all right. Let the man work."

"Yes, sir. Will, uh, that be all, sir?"

"Hmmm," Hammond's nose was already buried in the technical jargon of the reports. "Uh, yes. That will be all."

The relieved young man fled the office. Fortunately the general was much too engrossed in the report to notice the less than proper departure.

Hammond's face furrowed into a frown as he read. Hargrave was nothing if not efficient, and the fingerprints lifted from Doctor Jackson's home had quickly become the property of the Air Force. The young captain had wasted no time in doing a standard fingerprint check. And, to his credit, a non-standard one. When the prints had revealed nothing in the FBI files, Hargrave had initiated a search of the CIA and NSA systems. Hammond's frown deepened as he saw the Interpol connections maintained by one of the men who had searched Daniel Jackson's apartment. 'What the hell was going on?'

His thoughts were interrupted by a heavy rap on the door. Growling in irritation, Hammond called out, "Come!"

Captain Walter Hargrave entered the office with a very somber expression on his face. Hammond kept his own expression neutral as the younger officer began to speak. "We've got him, sir!"

"Got who, Captain?"

"Oh, sorry, sir. Some of the prints were consistent across Dr. Jackson's onbase quarters, office, and apartment. They belong to Lieutenant Harry McIntosh."

"Captain, Lt. McIntosh is in maintenance. Of course you'd find his prints in Dr. Jackson's onbase abode as well as his off... You said at his apartment?"

"Yes, sir."

"I didn't authorize any maintenance work be done at Dr. Jackson's home."

"No, sir."

"Has Major Harris seen the reports?"

"No, sir."

Hammond flipped his intercom switch. "Lt. Murphy, have Major Harris report to my office immediately." Without waiting for a reply, he disconnected, returning his focus to the captain. "Is McIntosh on base?"

"Yes, sir. He's working on a repair to the network wiring on level 23."

The general templed his fingers for a moment. "Captain, make sure he stays on base, but don't let him suspect anything is wrong. I don't know how Major Harris will want to play this."

"Yes, sir."

"Good work, Captain. Dismissed."


Jack remained ominously silent as he followed the majors into the small office off the garage. Shutting the door, he leaned against its wooden surface, arms crossed in front of his chest. "Well, Major..."

Nichols turned to face the colonel, not quite at attention, but not at ease either. He'd obviously used the few moments it had taken to enter the office to regain at least some of his composure. "Who are you?"

Jack's eyes narrowed. "I'll ask the questions, Major-"

"Respectfully, no, sir, you won't." Before a stunned O'Neill could respond, Nichols continued. "This is my home. I don't know either one of you from Adam's Housecat, but the Colonel John Black reference tells me you've been to the Pentagon. It also tells me you were looking for something. Care to tell me what?"

Sam lit into the man. "You impersonate a Colonel, and you have the gall to interrogate us!"

Before he could respond, Jack spoke up. "Where's Daniel Jackson?"

The major's face instantly took on a look of pure arrogance. On closer study, however, the more experienced officer realized the younger man was hiding his fear. Jack repeated the question. "Where's Daniel Jackson?"

"What?"

"Let's see if I can make this simple. Our friend, Daniel Jackson, is missing. We know you are involved. Where is he? Simple enough, or should I try for words of only one syllable?"

"How do I know...Jack O'Neill?"

"That's right."

"ID. Do you have id?"

"It says so on my jacket." O'Neill was trying to rein in his temper.

"So did Colonel Black's."

"Valid point. As did his ID." Jack thought for a moment, then pulled out the envelope Daniel's journals had come in. "Recognize this?"

The SG-1 pair watched in astonishment as Nichols' skin became almost transparent. "Where?"

"Daniel got this in the mail. It had several, uh, items in it."

Nichols' voice faded to a whisper. "His father's journals." The younger man studied his feet for a few moments, then sighed. "Colonel, I've seen your picture, my father had it. Don't know the major here, but if you'll vouch for her..."

"Vouch for me! Of all the..."

"No offense intended, Major. My father was murdered a few days ago attempting to make right something he's brooded over for nearly thirty years."

"The accident in New York?" Jack asked quietly.

"The murders in New York." Seeing their faces grow cold, he hastily added. "My father wasn't involved. He really didn't know Parker was going to kill them. He thought they were to be frightened out of New York only."

"But they were killed."

"Yes, he told me a few weeks ago that he wasn't in time to save them. But he did manage to save the child."

Sam and Jack exchanged looks, then Jack responded. "You call being forced into an orphanage at the age of five being saved."

Nichols turned a little green. "Yes. Parker apparently had plans for the boy. He knew the child had been with his parents to the original dig and could probably get him there..."

Jack finished his sentence for him. "Then he would have killed Daniel." Sam looked sickened by the thought.

"Uh, no. According to Dad, Colonel Parker's interests included such things as beautiful little boys. I'm told Daniel Jackson fit the bill quite nicely."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||