THE PAST REMEMBERED: Part 15

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


The elevator doors had barely parted before Jack O'Neill stormed down the corridor, Sam on his heels. A small party of Italian tourists flattened themselves to the hallway walls, startled, and frightened by the dour expression on the older man's face. Sam slowed slightly, taking a moment to smile reassuringly at the tourists, then hurried after the colonel who remained blissfully unaware of the subdued conversation behind him. 'Not,' thought Sam, 'that he would understand it any better than I do. Now Daniel ... dammit, Daniel, why didn't you just stay with me?' Mentally kicking herself, she picked up speed once more to catch up with her CO.

Jack was already inserting the electronic key in the lock when Sam drew up beside him. Frowning as the light stayed red, he tried it again. "What the hell?"

"Maybe your key's gone bad, sir. Why don't I try mine?" Sam pulled her key from her pocket as she spoke.

Too irritated for words, Jack motioned her toward the lock, glaring at his card as he did so. Before Sam could insert her key, however, the door swung open, and both SG-1 members found themselves on the business end of a Chief's Special. The man behind the gun studied the officers for a short moment. "Colonel O'Neill? Major Carter?"

"Yes." Jack was rigid with tension and anger as he spoke.

"May I see some sort of identification?"

"Oh, for crying out loud." Jack moved quickly for his wallet, slowing as the man in his room tensed behind the gun. Holding up his hands, Jack responded quickly. "Sorry, just going for my wallet." Seeing a nod of approval, the colonel pulled out his wallet and allowed the stranger to see his military id, but not to take it. Sam did likewise.

The man with the gun visibly relaxed and smiled apologetically at the officers as he retrieved his own id. "Apologies, Colonel, Major. I'm David Camden, I work security here at the hotel. The head of security, Robert Littlefield, told me to stay here until you arrived. I'm to stay until you've had a chance to check for missing items."

"In that case, seeing as it is our room, can we come in?" Jack's voice positively dripped with sarcasm.

The younger man's grin broadened, but no trace of embarrassment showed on his features as he stepped aside. "Of course, Colonel, sorry."

Sam's eyes lit up as a thought occurred to her. "You had the codes for our door changed. That's why the colonel's key wouldn't work."

"Yes, ma'am. I've got three keys to replace the ones you, the colonel, and Dr. Jackson have."

"Thanks." Sam watched, concerned, as Jack's spine stiffened at the mention of their missing friend, but the colonel never broke stride as he headed straight for the room he shared with Daniel. "If, you'll, uh, excuse me, I'll go do a quick inventory of my room."

"Of course, ma'am." Camden watched admiringly as the pretty woman walked away.

Within fifteen minutes both officers reappeared in the living room. Sam shook her head at the colonel who replied for both. "Nothing's missing. You can go now."

Sam took the new keys from the guard as she walked him to the door. "Thank you for your concern, and we appreciate the hotel's prompt response."

"You're welcome, ma'am, and may I suggest the use of the hotel's vault for any valuables you may have with you?"

She smiled. "We'll keep that in mind. Thanks again." Before the guard even knew what had happened, the door was closed. Sam turned around and leaned heavily against the door.

"Why do you do that?"

"What?"

"Make nice with the locals."

"Sir, we're not off world. We are the locals."

"Not really. We're from Colorado and we're in Washington. He's local, we're not."

"Okay?"

"So why make nice? I told him everything he needed to know ... that nothing was missing and he could leave."

"Well, we might need his help."

"And he might not have helped us with my dismissal?"

"Well, sir, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as my mother used to say."

"I'll remember that next time I need to catch flies. ... The journals were still in his suitcase."

Sam looked relieved. "I was really hoping you weren't lying to the guard, sir."

"If that's who he is."

"Sir?"

"Sorry, Carter, but until we find Daniel, and figure out just what the hell's going on, I'm not prepared to trust anyone in this town, except you, and Daniel."

"Yes, sir. ... What now?"

"We let Hammond know that Daniel's gone." Jack flopped down onto the sofa, pulling the phone into his lap as he did so.


Several thousand miles away, George Hammond watched the Betta fish on his desk swim lazily around its bowl. A gift from his granddaughters, the little fish served to relax him when he was tense, and cheer him up when he was down. Right now, he was a little of both. Daniel Jackson was a valued member of the SGC community, but Hammond counted the young man as more than a coworker, he was a friend. The phone rang suddenly and Hammond practically leaped across his desk for the handset. "Hammond. ... Yes, Colonel, I'm glad you replied to my message so promptly. ... You didn't? Then why? ... WHAT! Has this been reported to NID? ... Have them keep me informed as well as yourself, Colonel. ... Yes, I did leave a message. Daniel Jackson's quarters, lab and home have been searched. ... Language, Colonel. Teal'c assures me that nothing is missing from any location. ... Yes, Colonel, he is very thorough. But he does believe that whoever did it was looking for Dr. Jackson's father's journals. ... WHAT! Are they...? ... Good. Keep them safe, and keep in touch."

The Betta was still swimming lazily around its bowl as he hung up the phone, but, somehow, its calming effect was gone.


Sam was frowning as Jack hung up. "Someone has searched Daniel's apartment?"

"And his lab and his on base quarters."

"Damn!"

"My sentiments exactly."

"What do we do now, sir?"

"We read the journals."

"SIR!"

"Major, I don't like it either, but they're the key to this fiasco. I don't think we've got a choice."

"All of them? I mean, do we have to read all of them?"

"Daniel said the mysterious colonel was mentioned in the last one. We'll start with the last one. If we're lucky, the answer's in it."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||