THE PAST REMEMBERED: Part 10

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Hammond sighed as he heard the knock on his door. Another interruption. "Come."

The door opened and Teal'c walked quickly into the room. "General Hammond."

"Yes, Teal'c?"

"I have come to ask a preference."

"Excuse me?"

"Is that not the correct term when asking for assistance?"

"Do you mean a favor, Teal'c?"

The Jaffa's eyebrows rose. "I believe that is what I said."

"Uh, right. What can I do for you, Teal'c?"

"I wish to inquire as to the whereabouts of Colonel O'Neill, Major Carter, and Daniel Jackson."

Hammond looked puzzled. "Son, I thought you realized they left this morning for Washington."

"I am aware of that, General Hammond. I wish to know their current location."

"Teal'c, are you by any chance asking me if they're there yet?"

"I believe that is what I said."

"Oh. Yes, actually they should be getting to their hotel about now."

"I wish to communicate with Colonel O'Neill."

"Why?"

"O'Neill requested that I communicate anything unusual to him, immediately."

Hammond studied the ever-serious Jaffa. "When was this?"

"Shortly after he viewed Daniel Jackson's tape."

"I see. Well, Teal'c, since the colonel is not here, I recommend that you tell me."

Teal'c looked closely at the general, then tilted his head in acquiescence. "That would be acceptable. Daniel Jackson's laboratory and quarters have been searched."

"What! That's not possible. Security is doing random checks on his quarters and lab, and haven't reported anything out of the ordinary."

"It was very skillfully done, General Hammond. Even I did not at first notice that anything was amiss."

"Damn. I'll have security dust for prints. Was there anything missing?"

"There did not appear to be, but my primary concern is for Daniel Jackson's home."

"I'll have security check it out."

"If you have no objection, General Hammond, I would prefer to observe his apartment myself."

Hammond frowned. "Why, Teal'c?"

"I have been to Daniel Jackson's home on several occasions, General Hammond. I will know if anything has been disturbed, SGC security will not."


To his credit, Jack never flinched. "11,327? Paper records?"

"Yes, Colonel. Some have been scanned onto optical disk, but that project just began this year, so the odds of your key having a match on optical is very low. You obviously have the proper clearances, where would you like to begin?"

Desperately wishing he'd brought Carter with him, Jack managed a smile. "With the optical. I'm assuming it will be faster to check those out."

"Yes indeed, Colonel. Let's see..." Colonel Armstrong picked up the phone. "Lt. Simmons, I have a colonel here who wants to view optical records. Find him somewhere to work." He disconnected, and turned back to Jack. "Lt. Simmons will assist you in locating a cubicle to work in, and will also introduce you to the look-up procedures."

Picking up on the obvious dismissal, Jack forced a smile. "Thank you Colonel, you've been ... helpful."

The other man nodded absently, and Jack couldn't help but notice the lack of an 'anytime' response. Stepping quickly outside the man's cubicle, he almost ran over the pretty lieutenant who'd pointed him to the correct room. "I'm sorry, Lt. ... Simmons. Oh!"

"No problem, sir, we're thinking of putting up stoplights at the busy intersections." Noting his puzzled look, she smiled. "Sorry, sir. Just a bit of Pentagon humor. Colonel Armstrong says you need to view some records?"

"Yes. I'm searching for a key match for this." He passed the key to the young woman.

She frowned as she saw it.

Noting her expression, Jack responded quickly. "What's wrong?"

"I'm not sure, sir. I think ... Sir, would you come with me, please? I'd like to check something."

Jack motioned her to lead the way. She maneuvered her way quickly through the maze of cubicles in the Records room, ending up in a tiny cubicle near a wall. She dropped into the chair and entered her PC password, taking care that Jack did not see it. Placing the key on the desk beside her, she began pulling up what appeared to be log records.

"Lieutenant?"

"Just a minute, sir. This won't take lo... There." She turned the screen so that Jack could see it.

The colonel frowned as he reviewed the display. "If I'm reading this correctly, the new key match to mine was requested two weeks ago."

"Yes, sir. I recognized the number, but couldn't place when it had been ordered up."

"You recognized the number on the key. Why?" Jack was working hard to keep the suspicion out of his voice.

"Well, actually, two reasons, one, I've got a really good head for numbers. I sometimes have trouble forgetting them. And, two, the officer who made the request was a real..." She stopped, suddenly aware that her next comments might not be well-received by a senior officer.

"A real jerk?" Jack asked with a smile.

"Yes sir, jerk will do."

"I see. I see his name on the log, but can you by any chance describe him?"

"Oh, yes sir, that's no problem. I have a really good head..." Her voice trailed off, slightly embarrassed.

"...for faces." Jack finished for her. "Thank you, lieutenant. May I borrow your phone? I need to make a few calls."


Damian Fielding was all smiles as Sam entered the room. "Ah, Major, an emissary from the..." His words died in his throat as he caught sight of Daniel. The welcome in his voice died as he returned his attention to Sam. "Is he with you?"

"Yes."

"Then we have nothing to talk about. Please leave or I will call security."

Daniel stepped forward quickly. "Dr. Fielding, please. I know you don't like me but I'm here for my parents."

"Since when have you ever cared about your parents?"

"W..what?"

"Your absurd theories about the pyramids are a disgrace to your parents' memories. Your parents are probably dizzy from spinning in their graves."

Daniel's face drained of color. "Dr. Fielding, don't you think my theories have cost me enough? I'm not part of the mainstream archaeological community anymore. No one will publish my papers. I..I couldn't get a job with a university if I tried, and I doubt that I could get onto a dig except maybe as a third assistant. I know what my parents would have thought of me. I don't need you to tell me. Come on, Sam, we won't get any help from him."

Sam placed a concerned hand on Daniel's arm. "Just a minute, Daniel." She turned back to Dr. Fielding. "Sir, I really don't give a rat's ass what you think of Dr. Jackson or his theories. I am here to gather information that my superiors have requested. I would rather not report that you have been uncooperative. That could adversely affect your grant for the Utah digs when they come up for review, next month."

Fielding choked. "You wouldn't."

The young major looked grave. "Try me."

"Very well, I'll speak to you. Not him."

Sam's temper peaked. "You will speak to both of us, or..."

"It's okay, Sam. I'll wait downstairs." Daniel glared at the older man. "I could use some air, anyway."


Daniel wandered aimlessly around the museum before finally flopping down on a bench near the dinosaur exhibit. The sheer size of the beasts was a bit overwhelming and almost succeeded in pulling him out of his depression. Damian Fielding was wrong. Daniel knew it. His parents would have backed him and supported him no matter what. Wouldn't they? Of course they would. But, he'd been laughed off the stage for his 'theories'. Would they have been proud of that? No, but... God. There could be no buts. His parents would have thought him a failure, just like the rest of the scientific community. And he wouldn't have been able to tell them he'd been right.

"Dr. Jackson?"

Daniel looked up from his place on the bench. "Yes?"

The security guard smiled. "Major Carter asked that you meet her in the workrooms."

"Oh, yes. Well, thank you. Uh, where are the workrooms?"

"I'll be glad to show you, Dr. Jackson."

"Thanks." Daniel followed the older man to the back of the museum.

"It's in there, son." The guard pointed toward the double doors.

"Thanks." The young archaeologist pushed open the swinging doors and stepped inside. A sickeningly sweet smell assailed his nostrils as a cloth covered his face. His struggle against the strong hands which held him was brief, as darkness took hold.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||