THE PAST REMEMBERED: Part 5

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


"Dr. Jackson, when were you released from the infirmary?" General Hammond kept his voice level, in keeping with his rank.

"I wasn't. Now someone please answer my question. Why would an Army colonel be carrying around a tape that had my parents' accident on it?"

"We don't know yet, Daniel," Jack replied softly. "The Major had just started his spiel when you got here."

"Fine. I'll just join you, if no one minds." Daniel crossed to the table and flopped tiredly into the chair beside O'Neill. Noting the expressions surrounding him, he added an irritable, "What?"

Sam gulped. "Daniel, I really think it might be better if you-"

"Do what? Hide in my lab, pretend this never happened? That's no good and you know it, Sam."

"Son, considering your reaction to the tape last night, I'd really like to have Dr. Fr-"

"Meaning no disrespect, General, but everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that these were my parents, and the tape was sent to me. That tape is my property, to do with as I like, and right now what I'd like is for all of you to stop trying to protect me. I'm a big boy. I can take care of myself."

"Ya think?"

Daniel glared for a moment at Jack, then relaxed. "I'm sorry. I'm a little on edge. I'd still like to know what's going on, though."

Hammond looked thoughtfully at the young man. "Agreed. Major, you were saying..."

"Uh, yes, sir." He nodded a greeting to the young scientist. "Well, to answer Dr. Jackson's question, Colonel Nichols was a major at the time of the accident."

Carter sat up startled. "The one on the tape?"

"Yes."

Daniel looked confused. "Excuse me, what 'one on the tape'?"

Jack turned to his friend. "Daniel, the one in the third section of tape."

"There was a third section?" Daniel was obviously surprised.

"Yes, why?" Jack was watching his young teammate closely.

"I, uh, I guess I was more freaked out than I thought. I don't remember a third section." He closed his eyes for a moment while all eyes in the room stared at him. Opening them, he smiled wanly at the group. "Could I see it, please?"

"Daniel, I'm not sure that's a good idea."

"Please, Jack. I really need to see it. General?"

Hammond nodded for Major Harris to show the tape, hoping that the man would have the sense to fast forward past the second part.


Shady Hills Retirement Home was his last hope for information. The archives had proven to be a bust. The year 1970 was missing and no one knew exactly how, or worse, when, that had happened. He'd been incredibly lucky to find someone who recalled that the old man he was now looking for had been in charge of the museum in 1970. Praying that this was not just a fool's errand, he stepped out onto the porch. Just as the director had said, Dr. Philip Marshall was resting on the porch, dozing slightly in the sun.

Captain Arthur Benjamin slowly approached the fragile old man in the rocking chair. "Dr. Marshall?"

Dark brown eyes studied him for a moment. Benjamin found himself growing slightly unnerved by the intelligence behind those eyes. The old man stared at the uniform for a long moment before speaking. "So, you've finally come. I knew someone would, eventually." He laughed bitterly. "Just didn't think it would take thirty years."

"Sir?"

"You've come about that formal protest I filed haven't you?"

Benjamin's mind raced frantically. What the hell was the old man talking about? Okay, go along with him for now. Maybe you can steer him into talking about the accident. "Yes, I have."

"Liar." The bitterness in the old man's voice was obvious. "You don't really expect me to believe that after three decades you're gonna turn over the Jacksons' things to the museum, now do you? Not to mention it's a little late for my daughter to adopt the child."


Harris nervously fumbled with the remote as he searched for the right spot to start the tape. He'd been told of Dr. Jackson's collapse, and had no wish to antagonize the group in the room by being the cause, however indirect, of a similar event. Fortunately he'd noted the starting locations of the three separate sections. Entering the number into the machine, Harris watched in anxious anticipation as the VCR fast-forwarded. He'd never known one of the machines to start on the wrong number, but there was always a first time. Or worse, he could've copied the numbers wrong. The tape started to roll and he suppressed a sigh of relief as it began in exactly the right spot.

No one except for Harris, and Daniel, was watching the tape. All eyes were on Daniel, watching for any sign of distress. The young scientist, in turn, was oblivious to their scrutiny. He watched with morbid fascination as the child-Daniel was delivered into the hands of the New York Department of Social Services. The video paused suddenly with the major's face becoming larger than life. Before anyone could protest, Harris spoke up quickly. "Do you recognize him, Dr. Jackson?"

Daniel nodded reluctantly as the memories surfaced. "That's Colonel Nichols?"

Harris responded. "Yes, but he was Major Nichols in those days."

Daniel refused to meet anyone's eyes. "I remember him. Sort of. He was always in a hurry."

Jack frowned. "Well, he certainly was in a hurry to get you into the hands of Social Services. Any idea why?"

"None. Is there more?"

"Not much." Harris replied as he hit play.


"I'm sorry, sir. Maybe I misunderstood you. Did you say release the Jackson's things to the museum?"

"I don't recall stuttering, young man. Now, since we both know that's not why you've come, and since I now know you're a liar, how about telling me why you're really here and I'll see if I want to believe you."

Benjamin sighed. "I apologize for lying, sir. It is not normally my method of operation, but the request I have is so unusual that I wasn't sure how to deal with you."

"Just spit it out and hurry, I'm due for a nap in ten."

"Yes, sir. I am here about the Jacksons." He held up his hand to forestall a sarcastic comment. "But not about your request. Sir, I need to know everything you can remember about the accident."

A derisive snort of laughter was the response. "Accident! Accident! God, that's good."

"Sir?"

"Hell, son, those folks were murdered."

Benjamin's eyes widened in disbelief.

"And, your people should know that, if anyone does."

"Why do you say that, sir?"

"'Cause your people killed them."


All eyes were on the monitor as the tape was restarted. A strangled cry, accompanied by a falling chair, caused everyone's attention to turn back to Daniel. The young man was practically glued to the wall behind him, his face ghost pale. "Oh God. That's him. He did exist. Oh God. I thought he was a dream."

Jack moved quickly to stand beside his friend. Sam righted the fallen chair, and the colonel steered the stunned young man toward it, even as Harris killed the tape. "Easy, Daniel. Sit. Take deep breaths." Jack pushed Daniel gently back into the chair and dropped into his own chair, never taking his eyes from Daniel's face. As the younger man's color returned, Jack smiled. "That's better. Now, what are you talking about? Who?"

"The Colonel in the film. He..he was in my nightmares for years. I thought I made him up."

Carter asked softly. "Nightmares, Daniel?"

"Yeah, he was my own personal bogeyman. Popped up at all the wrong moments. I thought I made him up. God! Then I guess the rest of it must be true too."

"What rest?" Jack was becoming annoyed.

"He and his men took everything that my parents had away in a truck. Even the rubble from the museum. All their research, everything."

"How do you know that, Dr. Jackson?" General Hammond spoke softly, not wishing to upset the young man any more than necessary.

"I..I watched them. I..I must have..." He sounded very confused. Suddenly he shook his head to clear his thoughts and continued quickly. "I tried to find their stuff after I grew up, thinking the nightmare was just my imagination working overtime, but no one at the museum knew what I was talking about."

"Daniel Jackson. Why would the military want your parents' belongings?"

"I don't know, Teal'c, I just don't know."

Sam watched Daniel closely for a moment, then ventured a question. "Daniel, what aren't you telling us? Why was this guy your bogeyman?"

He laughed nervously. "Old habits die hard. Like I said, I thought I made him up but..."

"But?" Jack prompted.

"The g..game." Daniel's voice quivered with emotion even as he wrapped his arms tightly around his chest. "The memory's kinda vague. He..he showed up at the museum really fast after ... the accident. And he was so mad, all the time. But he was really mad when the major interrupted us." Daniel seemed to shrink in on himself as his words faded away.

Silence ruled momentarily as worst case scenarios raced through the minds of everyone at the table. Sam's face paled dramatically, and Jack looked ready to chew nails, while Hammond and the visiting major looked grave. Teal'c, however, remained outwardly impassive. Inwardly he was seething. His alien perspective, gleaned from years in the service of Apophis, allowed him an insight into the worst kinds of human behavior. "What manner of game, Daniel Jackson?"

Daniel looked at his friend across the table. "I..I'm not real sure. I mean, I know I didn't like it, but..." His words stopped as he struggled to remember.

Sam's sympathetic eyes watched him closely. "Take your time, Daniel."

He frowned deeply. "Pictures, there were lots and lots of pictures."

"He took pictures?" The fury in Jack's voice promised dire consequences to someone.

"Huh? Oh. No, he showed me pictures. Said it was a game. Wanted me to tell him about them..."

"Daniel..." Jack tried to interrupt but his friend didn't seem to hear him.

Now that the gates were opened, information flowed forth virtually unchecked as Daniel's memories returned. "So many pictures. 'Look at this, Danny. I'm sure you know where your mommy and daddy found this. How about this, Danny? Don't tell me you don't know. I'll give you a prize if you tell me.'" The young man's eyes were glazed over, almost dull in appearance. "He got mad when I didn't know, or got tired. I don't remember which. Then he started to shake me, and his hands were hurting my arms. I..I remember screaming for..for Momma, but she..she didn't come and neither did my Dad."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||