THE PAST REMEMBERED: Part 1

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Of all the rotten luck. A full moon. Next week would have been better. Hell, last week would have been better. But no - the fates were definitely against him. The tall, gaunt man shook his head in disbelief, and smiled grimly as he recalled the number of times he'd cheated fate. He'd win this time too, somehow, even if the proverbial deck was stacked against him. Using the back of his hand, he rubbed the sweat out of his eyes, then tightened his grip on the nondescript brown bag. There! The lock had finally given. Thank God for antiquated technology. As he let himself into the darkened room, his thoughts turned to the recipient of the package he guarded so closely. He'd failed once before to do the right thing, and it had cost the young stranger dearly. He would not make that mistake again. Footsteps running by the door brought his thoughts up short and he froze, listening intently as they faded away. So they were closer than he'd thought. Wasting no more time, he carefully slid his knife around the seal of the package. Removing one of the video tapes, he replaced it with the one he'd guarded for so long. Resealing the package as carefully as possible, he casually tossed the box into the pile of unprocessed mail at the small postal sub-station he'd just broken into.

He slipped stealthily out of the door and hurried away from the building. Four blocks away he relaxed. It was a mistake. The fiery pain that cut through his chest almost took him to his knees. Staring in disbelief at the red stain growing ever larger on his shirt, his only thought was 'damn, it's true, you really don't hear the one that ki...' He tumbled face first into the gutter, his life's blood disappearing down the drain.


"Move it, kids!" O'Neill's voice could barely be heard over the approaching storm. Of all the stupid luck. The telemetry from the MALP had confirmed that the Stargate on PX7-292 was in a desert. Surrounded by pyramids. Seven of them. Enough to send Daniel Jackson into an archaeological feeding frenzy. But it had looked safe enough, until they got there. Tightening his grip on the younger man, Jack continued. "Carter, dial us outta here! Hang on, Danny, we'll be home soon."

Nodding the young major skillfully punched in their home address, watching the approaching sand with dismay. It was moving toward them much faster than she would have thought possible. 'Come on, connect.' The tidal pool of simulated liquid disgorged its flux, stopping just inches from where Colonel Jack O'Neill supported Daniel Jackson's limp form. Sam couldn't suppress a scream as wind suddenly kicked sand into her face, temporarily blinding her.

"Carter! Teal'c, get Carter. Move it people!" Jack moved swiftly toward the 'gate as Teal'c swept a protesting major into his arms. Sheltering her body with his he quickly caught up with the colonel and the four members of SG-1 hit the 'gate simultaneously, along with the sandstorm.


The chaos on the SGC side of the 'gate was inevitable as the four travelers landed in a heap. O'Neill and Teal'c pushed their charges down onto the ramp and covered them with their bodies as a mass of grit flew through the 'gate.

The guards relaxed as the voice of General George Hammond commanded them to stand down, even as O'Neill yelled for a medical team. Teal'c stood quickly upright, and held out a hand to assist Sam to her feet. Tears running down her face, she gratefully took his hand, and climbed to her feet just as a medic reached her. Shaking her head, she quickly waved him away. "Just got grit in my eyes. Check on Daniel."

Dr. Janet Fraiser frowned as she knelt beside the unconscious form held tightly by the colonel. "Martins, take Major Carter to opthamology."

"I'm fine, Janet..."

A withering glance from both the colonel and the doctor silenced the young major's protests as she was led away. Janet took a closer look at the bruise on Daniel's forehead, then looked questioningly at O'Neill. The colonel smiled grimly. "Lost a battle with a loose tile. Knocked him silly."

Janet did a quick check of Daniel's eyes, breathing a sigh of relief as she found his pupils to be responsive. "I don't think he's got a concussion, but we'll do a work-up just to be on the safe side." Motioning to the orderlies, she stood and watched as they quickly moved Daniel's inert form to the gurney, and whisked him out of the 'gate room. Jack and Teal'c started to follow, only to be stopped by Hammond's firm voice.

"Colonel, what happened?"

Jack sighed inwardly. Much as he wanted to follow the medical team, he knew better than to try and stall Hammond unnecessarily. Pulling his vision from the closing doors, he forced himself to look the general in the eye. "Daniel was doing a survey of the nearest pyramid when the wind picked up. A loose tile broke off, hit him in the head and knocked him silly. Teal'c spotted a killer sandstorm just as Carter and I got to Daniel. Figured we'd better high-tail it back here."

"That's it?"

"Yes, sir. But I'd recommend sending another team to look at the pyramids. Daniel got so excited that his voice changed to soprano for a while."

"I'll take that under advisement, Colonel. Dismissed."


"Colonel O'Neill?"

Jack froze in his tracks. "Oh, for crying out loud. Punch the elevator, Teal'c." As the Jaffa moved quickly toward the elevator, Jack turned and eyed the young airman hurrying toward him. "What is it, Airman?"

Saluting smartly, the young man looked very young, and very uncertain. "Sir, this package came for Dr. Jackson, from Washington. Should I take it to his lab?"

"No, I'll take it to him. Thank you, Airman."

"Yes, sir."

Jack quickly tucked the small parcel under an arm then jumped slightly as the elevator alarm announced that Teal'c had been holding the door just a moment too long.


Sam was waiting impatiently outside the infirmary doors when Jack and Teal'c arrived. "Carter?"

Exasperated she responded. "I'm fine, sir. Just got a good dose of sand in my eyes. Dr. Murray flushed them."

"Good. Daniel?"

"I..."

A nurse opened the door, and motioned the SG-1 team members into the infirmary where a now conscious Daniel Jackson was protesting his imprisonment. "Look, Janet, you said I don't have a concussion. I'm fine. All I have is a very bad headache."

"Daniel, you were knocked senseless, and have a very bad bruise on your head. You'll be spending the night in the infirmary just to be on the safe side."

"No one else is staying." The young man said petulantly.

"No one else got knocked unconscious, Daniel." Jack spoke firmly.

"Jack..." Daniel started to argue, then his attention was grabbed by the package with his name on it. "What's that?"

Jack looked down. "Don't know. Came from Washington."

Daniel frowned as he reached to take the package, then his eyes lit up. "Oh, my God. I didn't expect this so soon."

"What?" Jack asked suspiciously.

"More Tutankhamen tapes. Dr. Rivers at the Smithsonian found some old home movies taken by a British film crew. This is great! Janet, I've got to take these home and watch them."

Janet shook her head. "Nope. Sorry. You're spending the night here. You can go home tomorrow if you're okay."

Daniel looked desperately at the package. "Janet, if I promise to stay very still, and not do any kind of moving around, could I watch these in my lab? Please? I'll behave. Honest. Won't do anything but watch the tapes. Truly. Cross my heart."

The doctor was going to say a firm 'no', but the look in Daniel's eyes was too close to Cassandra's when she really wanted something. "You'll only watch the tapes. Not do any research?"

"Honest. Won't pick up a book. Please?"

Janet sighed. "Daniel, if you'll stay quiet for four hours here in the infirmary, then I will let you take the tapes to your quarters, not your lab, and watch them. If I have your word that you will take it easy."

"Four hours!"

"My only offer, Dr. Jackson."

The young scientist frowned in dismay while behind him his teammates grinned broadly. "Oh. All right." He flopped backwards onto the pillow, and glared at his friends. "What?"

"Nothing, Daniel. Nothing at all. Get some rest." Jack eased his way back from the bed, trying not to show his relief, or his amusement. As the SG-1 team walked toward the door, Janet went with them.

As they reached the door, Sam asked curiously. "Janet, why not just let him watch them in here?"

Janet laughed lightly. "I made that mistake once. Daniel talks to himself, and argues with the narrator if there is one. Quite disturbing for the staff."

Grinning broadly now, the three teammates dispersed to complete their reports on the aborted mission.


The night was clear, and the stars wove an intricate collage in the night sky as Jack O'Neill passed the last exterior checkpoint into Cheyenne mountain. He whistled to himself as he took the elevators to the office level. His favorite team had won the hockey game, and he'd been lucky enough to have tickets for center ice. Teal'c had accompanied him, and once the rules of the game were made clear, the Jaffa had had as good a time as Jack, or at least it had appeared that way. The only downside to the entire evening had been the realization that he hadn't actually given the general his report. Experience told him that it needed to be on Hammond's desk before the man arrived at the SGC in the morning. O'Neill's only choices were to go back after the game, or go in early. The latter was not an option as far as Jack was concerned.

The elevator doors opened on level 26 and Jack frowned as he looked at the buttons. What the... Oh, yeah. Daniel's on-base quarters were on this level. Jack managed a crooked grin as he realized his subconscious mind thought he should check on the younger man. Giving into the urge, he moved quickly down the hall, once again whistling a cheerful tune. The tune died on his lips as he saw the lights were on in Daniel's quarters. Jack's irritation took control, and he opened the door quickly. The 'Damn it, Daniel!' lecture died in his throat as he slammed the intercom button. Jack nearly choked on his words as he called, "Medical emergency - L26." Releasing the button, he moved quickly toward the figure huddled in the corner of the room. Kneeling, he reached out and placed a gentle hand on Daniel's shoulder. The blue eyes, so normally full of life, were glazed over. Afraid to move him, Jack kept his hand on Daniel's shoulder, and spoke softly. "Daniel, it's okay, help's on the way."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||