THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 9

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Connor watched SG1 as they made their final checks. In less than 24 hours they would be on their way to Pal'noor. Connor had been exceedingly relieved to discover that the tattoo Teal'c had promised would be one of the inked on variety, not the inked in sort. As Teal'c had almost haughtily informed Connor, only the First Primes to a Goa'uld were honored with the gold variety. Connor was beginning to suspect that Teal'c had a definite...albeit subtle...sense of humor beneath that reserved exterior.

Colonel O'Neill was complaining once again, loudly, about his wardrobe...and his status. Dr. Jackson...Daniel, as the young scientist had insisted...made an offhand remark about 'eunuchs' that caused O'Neill to look at him strangely, before breaking into a laugh that seemed to ease the tension in the entire room. Even General Hammond smiled.

After working with SG1 for several days, Connor was amazed at how this seemingly mismatched group of people worked together so seamlessly. Even back in the early days, SG1 had been pretty tight, but now...

They were like extensions of each other, finishing each other's thoughts, eliciting a smile with a word or a glance. When one of them hurt, they all hurt...Connor hadn't missed the concern for Daniel.

From what Connor understood the younger man was the focal point of this mission; they were support for him. Daniel would be doing all of the talking in these negotiations. Watching Daniel check off his list of items for the ornate Goa'uld traveling case, Connor found himself all the more confidant that, once again, Earth was in good hands with SG1.


Teal'c was as certain as possible that they were prepared. For days now, he and Daniel Jackson had been speaking in Goa'uld to one another whenever possible. Teal'c was as impressed as always with Daniel Jackson's acuity in the ancient language. The young man's accent was minimal, barely detectable even to Teal'c who was alert to such nuances. A great deal of pressure rested on Daniel Jackson. General Hammond had informed them at he last briefing that the 'higher ups' had ordered the preparation of a bomb....in the event that they failed. Should they not return within a week, the bomb would be sent through...ostensibly to remove the Pal'noor threat. Teal'c doubted that possibility and had voiced that doubt at the briefing. If the Goa'uld feared the Pal'noor, then they were a very formidable enemy, indeed.

Daniel Jackson now had not only the fate of Earth on his young shoulders, but also the fate of the innocent people who undoubtedly resided on the planet they were going to. It was a heavy responsibility and Teal'c was glad to see that his friend appeared to be bearing up so well under it.

O'Neill was doing everything necessary to alleviate that stress, as well as ensuring that Daniel Jackson was rested and well-fed. The hollowness of Daniel Jackson's eyes had faded somewhat, now replaced by a concerned resolve. Teal'c was sure that resolve was based on more solid ground than it had been a week ago.

None of them knew if this mission would end here or if this was only the beginning. But Teal'c knew in his warrior's heart that his team, his friends, would prevail. There was no other possibility.


Sam was glad that the deadline was growing closer. As she put the finishing touches on her costume, she stuck her tongue out at her reflection in the mirror. She had her own opinions about the function of female 'attendants' based on the costume the Tok'ra had provided. She wished once again that her father or Martouf had been available for this mission; she didn't feel disloyal for the thought, even Daniel had expressed the possibility...but both were on missions of their own. No one wanted to place something this important in the hands of an unknown Tok'ra. Aldwin had done a lot of damage to their faith in the Tok'ra as a whole with his actions above Netu.

Sam knew that Daniel was as capable and prepared as anyone could be. His confidence level was vastly improved from a week ago and Sam was sure that the hesitancy and doubt they'd witnessed then had been as much a result of needing them to believe, once again, something that sounded unbelievable.

Sam knew that the colonel had made every effort to show that his natural disbelief in things not seen, touched, tasted or felt in his experience would always be his first gut reaction; it was in no way reflective of a lack of faith in Daniel's formidable abilities.

Sam wondered if it all hadn't been a matter of exhaustion. None of them had been given much of a respite since Sha'uri's death. And Sam knew from personal experience that grief was a life-long process. Maybe when all of this was over they'd have time to get away...just the four of them...and ease some of the stress they'd all been feeling.


Daniel laughed outright at the spectacle Jack was making of himself in his 'attendant's' garb. The silky material was cut to be open at the chest and very short in length.

"Maybe I should have been a Jaffa," Jack groused again. "Didn't anybody tell the Tok'ra I'd be the one wearing this?"

"I believe Garshaw knew it," Daniel couldn't help chiming in as he studied his friend's outfit. "Look at the bright side, at least the cloak will cover...most of you."

Jack's return glare was withering and Daniel tried, unsuccessfully, to hide another smile as he turned back to finish dressing. His own clothing was of the form-fitting variety the Goa'uld seemed to favor, leggings, boots, and tunic...all in a rich blue material complete with gold and jewels. Daniel would be wearing Sam's ribbon device; he couldn't use it, but if necessary, he could pass it off to Sam. The healing device had been sewn into his cloak and, hopefully, wouldn't be needed.

Staring at his reflection in the mirror, Daniel had to fight down a surge of revulsion. The clothes he wore represented the only thing he had ever truly hated in his life...the Goa'uld, but he forced his mind to focus on the task. Looking up, Daniel caught Jack looking at him in concern and shook his head.

"It's okay, Jack, it's just...."

Jack nodded in understanding. "I know, kinda makes your skin crawl."

Daniel smiled a little, turning away from the mirror. "Something like that..."

Jack gave Daniel an appraising look. "Well, you look...covered."

Jack's grin was infectious and Daniel returned it with a self-deprecating smile.

"The military isn't the only place where rank brings privileges, Jack."

Daniel sidestepped the good-natured slap he knew was coming and headed for the door.


Jack felt something inside of him loosen up at Daniel's teasing. It had been a long time since they'd been able to be this relaxed together. He felt like he could safely say that Daniel was as ready for this mission as he could ever be. Between the four of them...Connor included, the guy was really learning fast how things worked with SG1....they'd managed to force Daniel to rest and eat at fairly regular intervals. Daniel had admitted to Jack that he was still having some bad dreams, but Janet's little pills had made a great difference in the amount of actual sleep he was getting.

Jack was ready to get the show on the cosmic road, and as he entered the gate room, he could see his team was, too. Connor and Teal'c had taken up positions on either side of Daniel as the wormhole engaged...an honor guard in every sense of the word. Jack and Carter picked up the traveling case and, as a unit, they turned back to look up at the control room. Hammond raised a hand in a gesture of luck, smiling that worried smile they'd come to know so well. Even Harriman was looking at them with a hopeful expression.

Looking around at his team, Jack had to resist the instinct that would have put him in the lead.

"After you, Big D."

Daniel shook his head and, taking a deep breath, stepped through the gate.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||