THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 43

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net

Author's Notes: No more TBC...This is it!

Thanks to all who have been so kind and supportive. Special thanks, ever and always, to Brenda...beta, friend and all round great person. Thanks to Dee, you don't know how much you've helped! Thanks to Sanna for the French lesson...good luck with finals! I know there must be better words to tell you how much I appreciate you, but at the moment they fail me. Just know that I do!

Happy Holidays to All.

-- Jmas



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jack stretched lazily, his toes hitting the end of his bunk with a comforting familiarity. Military bunks were never built long enough for his lanky frame, but today it was a welcome taste of reality.

Jack lay there for a moment, savoring the memory of the look on Hammond's face when the team he had almost written off as MIA suddenly materialized in the middle of the gateroom. Hammond had taken one look at them and called for a medical team. Countless tests and one huge debriefing later, they'd finally gotten Janet's report on Daniel's condition.

Daniel was mentally and physically exhausted, the wounds on his back were little more than half-healed scars now, and Janet expressed concern at the extreme weight loss and dehydration, but he was alive...and would fully recover.

Jack knew it wasn't that simple.

In his few conscious and coherent moments, it had become apparent that Daniel's memory of the ordeal was full of blank spaces. Janet assured them that it was normal after such extreme and prolonged illness and stress. Jack knew, even without Janet's reassurance, that Daniel would remember everything eventually ... and would need a lot of help and support in dealing with those memories.

Jack's thoughts turned dark at the memory of his callous order the night Daniel had been so close to giving up. Daniel had told Jack it was all right, but Jack couldn't help feeling guilty for pulling rank on his friend. Daniel understood and forgave, but Jack wondered if he would ever be able to forgive himself.

Jack shook off the dark thoughts. Daniel was better, they were home...everything else would come in its own good time. As long as his team was together, they could deal with it. Hell, they could deal with anything.


Connor had dropped by to see Daniel in the infirmary, figuring that the late hour would find the young man alone. He realized he should have known how unlikely that possibility was.

Teal'c was at Daniel's side, solid and immovable as always. The tech from the control room, Harriman, was just leaving. Hammond was in the corner, laughing at some comment from Feretti. Daniel was lying there, drinking it all in with a slightly dazed expression.

Connor thought Daniel was looking much better. He was quiet, but the doc had said that it would be a long time until his energy returned to anything near normal. Connor stepped over to Daniel's side, depositing his gift of chocolate-walnut cookies on the bed beside him. Daniel laughed softly, placing the bag beside the dozen or so others on his bedside table.

Connor laughed with his new friend, just happy to be there. Daniel thanked him in that soft voice that still didn't have much strength behind it.

"Guess this means I'm getting predictable," Daniel offered.

Feretti looked up at the comment. "Predictable? You? Ain't gonna happen, Daniel."

A voice behind them chimed in. "God, I hope not."

Colonel O'Neill stepped in with a broad smile. "The day Daniel becomes predictable, I really will retire."

Daniel looked up at Jack curiously. "Retire, Jack? Why?"

Jack looked down at Daniel with a smile, but Connor could see the edge of utter sincerity in his eyes.

"Because, Danny...my life just wouldn't be as much fun with a predictable Daniel."

As the others laughed, even Teal'c venturing a smile, Connor could see something wordlessly pass from one man's eyes to the others. Connor didn't entirely fathom all the subtleties, but he knew it spoke of friendship, understanding and forgiveness. Daniel smiled then, a slight tentative thing, that Connor knew meant that Daniel was touched and trying not to show it.

Connor resolved not to lose the friendships he had found with the members of SG1. They were a special bunch of people and he hoped they'd work together again someday. Connor remembered his feelings on Thor's ship, watching the team gather around their ailing friend. The strength of will they'd focused solely on Daniel had been something to see, and cherish. SG1 was a team in a million, each of its members...one of a kind. Connor had seen them walk through a living hell together and back out the other side...a little ragged around the edges, but still...as always...friends.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||