THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 4

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


As SG1 waited for General Hammond's arrival in the briefing room, Jack found himself growing more concerned by the moment. Teal'c had taken on a much more restrained version of Daniel's disturbed expression, an expression that had gotten worse rather than better since their return. It was bad enough that Daniel was acting so nervous, but if this thing was bad enough to also upset Teal'c, then Jack knew they were in serious trouble.

None of them had gotten any sleep; Daniel had seemed to need their company, a rare enough occurrence in itself, and had made an effort to put aside the worried distraction that had plagued him since Egypt. Daniel had seemed to simply enjoy their company and that, more than anything else, had caused Jack to worry. He hadn't missed Daniel's tenseness, and the way the younger man had merely picked at the food they'd brought. Jack knew beyond question that Daniel had been putting on a front for them... trying to deny the problem they were about to discover for as long as possible.

Jack noted that Daniel had fallen back into that studious avoidance of direct eye contact and realized the young linguist was trying to steady himself before the revelation of what he and Teal'c had learned. Jack could see that Daniel either expected an argument...or he expected not to be believed.

General Hammond arrived and moved quickly to his seat, looking expectantly at Daniel, "Doctor Jackson?"

Daniel took a deep breath and stole a steadying glance at Teal'c before starting into a brief history of Ra; outlining the timeline of Ra's history on Earth and the approximate time he was believed to have been 'cut off' by the ancient Egyptians when they buried the Stargate.

Jack tried to restrain his impatience, he knew that Daniel had to get to his point in his own unique, roundabout way, but Jack's strongest suit...and possibly his greatest failing...was his strong desire to get to the bottom line, to find out the problem so he could start working on a solution. Sometimes though, in his haste to get to that bottom line, Jack knew he missed the finer points, the often important details, that later proved to be key to a resolution. He really was trying to work on that...

In this case, Jack's answer came more quickly than he expected...


Daniel took a deep breath, sensing Jack's impatience and concern. Daniel knew he was right...he just hoped his friends and commander would see this as the very real threat that it was.

Daniel licked dry lips before continuing, " Millennia ago Ra made a bargain with the Pal'noor," he began, "a race of very aggressive aliens who live in another galaxy...we have the 'gate coordinates and astrophysics is working on the exact location. They're feudal, from what I've been able to gather, even more so than the Goa'uld."

Teal'c was nodding, " I have heard them spoken of many times. It is very important to the System Lords to remain on good terms with the Pal'noor, although I am unsure of the reason why this is so."

Daniel nodded in agreement, "Anyway, Ra made some sort of 'deal' with them...I don't know the details, it wasn't explained in the writing...but payment is due...within three weeks or...."

"Or there'll be blood, death, and other general mayhem?" Jack interrupted, irreverently summing up what they all had heard so many times before.

Daniel nodded, with a shrugging half-smile, "Something like that." Daniel was subconsciously waiting for a reaction that never came. They believed him. Hammond looked concerned, Jack guardedly alarmed, Sam fascinated, but none of them looked at the young linguist in disbelief.

Jack was the first to speak; "Do you think they know that Ra...um...kicked it?"

Daniel shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know, considering the distance factor...it's possible, but...."

"We can't count on it, " Sam completed the thought.

Hammond was holding up a hand, "Was there any other information given in the writing?"

Daniel nodded, looking once again at Teal'c, "Teal'c and I both are sure there is a reference to a message to be sent through the Stargate...outlining terms.....And it should come through in...um, two days. I need to get back to work on the rest of the translation, try to get more details."

"Alright then, Dr. Jackson." Hammond hesitated before continuing, "I know that you and Teal'c have been working on this non-stop since your return; I want you to take twelve hours and rest...."

Daniel started to protest, but Jack cut him off. "Daniel. Rest, then get back on it. When this message comes through, we're all going to have to be at our best to figure out a plan."

Daniel started to open his mouth to protest once more, but found himself looking at Jack's raised hand. Argument over.

Jack smiled suddenly, "And while you're at it, shave off that beard...it really isn't you."

As Daniel got up to leave, his friends directly behind him, he realized that Jack had said when...not if...the message came through....

Daniel smiled; ducking his head quickly to hide the gratitude he knew was showing in his eyes.


General George Hammond was concerned. He'd learned the hard way to trust his lead linguist/archaeologist/anthropologist. Too many times they'd all dismissed Jackson's theories out of hand, only to have that lack of trust thrown back in their faces...often at a very large price. Hammond hadn't gotten as far as he had in the military by repeating mistakes too often.

They were quite likely in very deep trouble here...

Hammond hadn't over-looked the frown on the young man's face...Jackson hadn't really expected to be believed. But somewhere under the reticence that Jackson had developed in the past couple of years there was still something of the idealistic maverick...a shadow of the passionate sureness that had always seemed so much a part of Jackson. A part it had taken Hammond a long time to get used to, but he would admit, if only to himself, that it was a part he sometimes missed seeing more often.

Hammond dreaded what he had to do now. As dedicated as he was to his work with the SGC, it just seemed sometimes that he was always picking up the red phone on his desk to deliver more bad news....


Jack knew where he'd find Daniel.

Ever since Sha'uri had died, Daniel had gotten into the habit of disappearing up to the mountaintop. Long stretches when they were confined to base, or sometimes when things just got too real, Jack would find him up there. Sometimes Daniel would welcome his friend's solid presence and sometimes he'd wave Jack away, asking to be left alone. Tonight, he didn't wave so Jack moved forward to join Daniel under the trees.

Daniel looked over, nodding to Jack...a welcome, an acknowledgement ...something deep and unspoken...

Jack didn't need to ask whether Daniel had gotten any sleep; Jack had never been one to waste words on questions with obvious answers. At least Daniel had showered and shaved that damnable beard off.

Daniel was looking at him with a mix of curiosity and dread. Jack knew his friend expected Jack to yell at him for being up here when he should be asleep, but Jack couldn't find it in him to yell at Daniel right now. The curiosity, though, that Jack couldn't quite fathom.

"What?"

Daniel shook his head, "Nothing...."

Jack just looked at him.

Daniel smiled that same slight smile Jack had seen as they left the briefing room earlier. "Just...thanks..."

Jack wasn't entirely sure just what Daniel was thanking him for, but...

"Anytime."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||