THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 39

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net

Author's Notes:  Do you believe in cosmic good timing? *evil grin*



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Daniel was aware of the sensation of time slowing down, caught in an all too familiar loop of enhanced awareness that allowed him to be conscious of several things at once...

Daniel could see Tel'nat's finger tightening on the trigger of his weapon.

He could feel Jack's grip closing protectively over his shoulder.

He could feel Thor move closer, gray fingers patting his shoulder slightly as if in reassurance...

Caught in that strangely elongated space of time, Daniel thought to himself that he was glad to have found some small measure of peace with himself. He hoped ..if there was any sort of justice out there on those higher planes ... that he would see Sha'uri again. As much as he yearned for that possibility, Daniel knew he no longer sought it ... actively or otherwise.

Daniel closed his eyes, feeling very few regrets. Deep within himself he knew he'd done more in his life than he could ever have dreamed. With very few exceptions, he'd met every challenge to the best of his ability. He had failed to save Sha'uri, but at least he'd seen her at peace...as herself...before she died.

Daniel realized with a sudden burst of sarcasm, that the 'moment' seemed to be lingering somewhat longer than usual. Was this just another of Tel'nat's games?

Daniel opened his eyes to see Tel'nat staring past them. Daniel turned carefully to see a glowing presence coalescing behind them. The sparkling shape resolved itself into a form seeming to consist of little more than sculptured light. Hard planes of golden crystal formed a generally recognizable face, but Daniel couldn't make his eyes focus on any discernible features, making him doubt his unaided vision ... and perhaps his sanity. One look at Jack, his jaw dropping by slow degrees, reassured Daniel on that front.

Daniel could see that whoever ... or whatever ... the newcomer was, Tel'nat was afraid. The weapon had fallen from the Pal'noor's nerveless fingers, but Daniel didn't think Tel'nat had even registered the loss.

Daniel traded glances with Jack, admitting with a raised eyebrow that he was as clueless as his friend was. A look at Thor brought a glint of ... something ... in the large eyes. Something that made Daniel relax, if only slightly.

"The Ancients." Thor said quietly.

Something connected in Daniel's mind. "The witnesses?"

Thor nodded once. "It would appear so."

The crystalline form shifted slightly, its body seeming to ebb and flow in rhythm with its speech. "The Pal'noor have broken faith with their contract."

The statement seemed to register in Daniel's brain on several levels, in several languages.

Tel'nat lapsed into his own language, an outward sign of his fear. The Pal'noor was all too obviously lying through his pointed teeth.

Daniel tried to pay attention to the exchange between Tel'nat and the newcomer, but felt his strength fading quickly, felt his body leaning into Jack's swift embrace as the darkness overtook him with an almost tangible finality.


Jack was aware of Daniel's struggle to remain upright even as he watched Tel'nat squirming under the imperious gaze of the Ancient. Jack couldn't help the surge of vindication, the sweeping sense of cosmic-level justice, that rippled through him. He wondered if perhaps they hadn't just been rescued by the intergalactic equivalent of a contract lawyer. Even as that incongruous thought crossed his mind Jack felt Daniel slump and reached out quickly to ease his friend into his arms. Daniel was dangerously hot again...and far too still.

Thor looked up briefly in concern. "His time grows short, O'Neill."

Jack felt a resurgence of the outraged helplessness that had been his constant companion for too long now. Daniel had to hang on just a little longer...

Tel'nat seemed to be losing his argument with the pulsating Ancient. Jack took no small amount of pleasure in watching the Pal'noor get back a little of what he'd subjected Daniel and the rest of his team to. The figure waved an encompassing arm toward Jack and the precious friend he held so close, raising a golden gaze to Tel'nat.

Tel'nat looked physically ill, his eyes moving rapidly from Jack to the Ancient and back again. "I am to tell you that you are free to go." Tel'nat looked back at the Ancient, who nodded forcefully. " I am also to make apologies to you, Daniel Jackson, Thor and the rest of your team." Tel'nat glanced once again at the Ancient who said something that sounded suspiciously like 'And...'

Tel'nat looked decidedly uncomfortable. "And I am also to give my word that the Pal'noor will make no aggressive moves on Earth, now or at any future time." Tel'nat smiled a little, his expression shifting as if he'd come to some sort of realization. "Truthfully O'Neill ...I'm not sure it would be a battle I would care to fight. You are a remarkably unpredictable, inventive and tenacious race. I regret that my actions have made us enemies."

Jack felt as if Tel'nat actually meant what he was saying ... but that didn't change the facts. Jack stood up slowly, easing Daniel into Thor's care, one hand lingering on the burning forehead.

"You regret?" Jack asked in disbelief. "You've kept us here for days, you tortured Thor, you nearly killed Daniel...and you regret?" Jack had to stop a moment and breathe deeply, to still his raging emotions before he could speak again. "Why, Tel'nat? That's what I want to know. Why Daniel?"

Tel'nat returned Jack's look levelly, then glanced down at Daniel, something flickered in his eyes for just a moment before he looked back at Jack. "I knew before you ever arrived that he was the focal point for your team. You lead, the Jaffa guards, the female thinks ... but he feels. I wanted to test the limits of human emotions. Daniel Jackson embodies them, without fear or reservation. I saw him as your weakness, never realizing that he was your strength."

Jack could hardly believe what he was hearing. Tel'nat sounded genuinely regretful. Jack thought about Tel'nat's words, coming to an understanding of his own.

"He is all of that," Jack agreed, looking down at the still form in Thor's grasp, "and more. He feels everything, he cares, and forgives .. a lot. Someday, he'll probably even forgive you." As remote as the possibility seemed to Jack from a personal standpoint, Jack knew that it was probably true. Even Tel'nat looked shocked at the concept. Jack advanced one step, placing himself directly in front of Tel'nat.

"You remember what I said about Daniel being one of the best as humans go?"

Tel'nat nodded, his eyes confused.

Jack looked down at Daniel once again, the flood of hot emotion returning in full force at the sight of his too pale, too thin friend. "He is the best. The best I've ever known. If he were awake right now, he'd probably be figuring out a way to create a relationship between the Pal'noor and Earth." Jack smiled a little. "And if you took the time to talk culture and languages with him, he'd probably forget what you put him through and, eventually, he might even try to be your friend." Jack's words were spilling over themselves to get out, to release themselves after being held back for so long. "The thing is Tel'nat...I'm not ne of the best. I'm working on it, but, hey, that's how it is. I don't forgive something like this. I don't want to be your friend. And damn it all..." Jack brought up in a hand in frustration, before pulling the same hand back and launching a fist into Tel'nat's furry chin. "I'm not Daniel."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||