THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 38

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jack had never been as proud of his friend as he was in that moment when he saw the darkness flicker away from Daniel's eyes and glimpsed the man he'd come to know and respect...the man who had forgiven so much, felt so much. This was the part of Daniel which had been slowly closing itself off for so long, the part that Jack hadn't realized how much he'd missed until he'd seen him again in Daniel's eyes. Jack reached out a hand to welcome it back even as he registered Tel'nat's deep growl of disbelief...and saw the gun raise toward them again. Toward Daniel.

There was no where for them to go, no opportunity to run. But Jack knew without having to think about it that Tel'nat would have to go through him before he'd allow Daniel to be hurt again. Pulling Daniel back with an internal apology, Jack covered the younger man with his own body, glaring defiance with all the strength his outraged mind and body could muster. On the edge of his vision, Jack could see Thor moving into a similar defensive position. Jack was alternately shocked then pleased that the Asgard had finally taken a personal stand ... at least as far as one particular human was concerned.

Tel'nat glowered at them all. "I do not understand. You would die in defense of this one man?"

Jack wasn't sure who the question was aimed at, but he'd been quiet long enough.

"We would die to protect our friend. No that's not it either. Daniel died to protect me long before we ever got close to being friends. I won't try to tell you that all humans are like that, " Jack glanced down to where Daniel was painfully trying to sit up, meeting the level blue eyes in an instant of perfect clarity and understanding ..."just the best ones."

Daniel smiled sadly at Jack's words. Jack was aware of a multitude of things said and unsaid passing between them at that moment. Daniel reached out a hand to implore assistance, to sit beside them and face Tel'nat ... as they'd faced so many dangers ... together. Jack smiled, returning his courageous friend's smile with one of his own particularly ironic variety. Jack knew he would never ... could never ... deny that his scholarly friend had more than earned the right.


Tel'nat stood there watching the exchange, allowing the three friends to arrange themselves, Jack carefully supporting Daniel at one shoulder, Thor taking the same position on the other.

Thor was more than a little humbled by Daniel's obviously difficult decision. Thor was aware on some level that it had been a close thing. Thor remembered Daniel from their first contact via the living transmission from Cimmeria. Thor had based a lot of his decision to physically return and remove the threat to Cimmeria on Daniel's actions, and his impassioned honesty which had admitted culpability for placing the Cimmerians in danger. Thor remembered Daniel's courage then as well as the young man faced one of his deepest fears in the effort to help another. Thor wondered idly if Daniel still feared heights.

Thor watched Tel'nat processing this new behavior, but could not begin to guess what the Pal'noor was thinking.

Tel'nat took one step backward, but the gun never wavered. "I believe I can understand how you have managed to defeat the Goa'uld. You are stubborn beyond reason, tenacious as the Del'nae, and illogically devoted to one another."

Thor saw the confusion on the two humans' faces, and admitted to himself that he was also at a loss. Tel'nat's words and tone, albeit more than a little exasperated, sounded almost respectful. But the gun hadn't wavered.

Tel'nat breathed a deep sigh. " I truly regret that I must do this. But I cannot allow you to leave..."

The gun raised again and Thor knew suddenly that there would be no reprieve this time. Thor knew, as did the humans, that Tel'nat had acted dishonorably, he could not let them leave...or live...if he were to preserve his place among his people.

Thor breathed deeply, touching an inner part of himself that had heretofore been too damaged to respond, hoping against impossible hope that his plan would work.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||