THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 37

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Daniel's voice was strained. "The Hammer?"

Tel'nat shook his head briefly, looking directly at Daniel. "When the Goa'uld System Lords came to Earth, your wife could have been among those chosen to come. Although Apophis had fallen from grace at the time, Amaunet still held his rank and properties. Your good friend Thor was the one who demanded she not be included."

Thor was acutely aware of Daniel's long look of confusion. He did not know if he could fully explain his motivation for his actions. "It seemed the wisest course at the time, the fate of Earth was in the balance ... that goal could not be risked to the uncertainties of your obvious desperation to rescue your wife."

Daniel nodded stiffly, all animation draining from his face. O'Neill jumped to his friend's aid, his outrage at what he was hearing palpable and cutting. "Daniel has always put his duty to Earth before everything else."

Thor knew that was true, now, and said as much. "However, at the time, I based my decision on what we knew of the human species as a whole. I did not know you."

Thor realized that simple statement was even more true than even he would have believed. These humans could *not* be assessed by any factors he had previously accepted ... and used ... to measure the worth of a species. All undeveloped species deserved Asgard consideration, Thor firmly believed that. Thor had vehemently disagreed with the Asgard High Council's decision to leave Earth to settle its own fate, but other concerns had kept him from pursuing the matter.

Thor had regretted learning of the death of Daniel's wife. He realized all too fully that it had been within his means to help the young man. After the past several days, watching Daniel working so hard to rescue him, Thor felt even more regretful that he had been unable to act.

Thor could only look at Daniel with an expression of deep regret. No words could change the fact that Tel'nat was right.


Daniel had always been aware that the Asgard possessed the technology that could have freed Sha'uri, but to learn that the alien race was not only aware of his situation, but had actively forestalled a chance to bring her to Earth...

Daniel was aware of Tel'nat's eyes on him, but could no more control the emotions he knew passed through his eyes than he could save Sha'uri...

With a sudden start, Daniel realized that Jack was looking at him. Jack knew what the missed opportunity meant to Daniel, Jack always knew. Just like Jack knew that Daniel *wouldn't* have done anything to jeopardize Earth's tenuous position at that time. But the knowing didn't help the ache in Daniel's heart, and Jack knew that, too.

Daniel sighed, looking up into Thor's surprisingly expressive, sorrowful eyes. Daniel knew, better than most, how regrets could insinuate themselves into a person's soul and destroy it ... or at least come very close. Daniel also knew, too well, that he had been traveling steadily down that path since he'd seen Amaunet fall under Teal'c's staff blast ... and Sha'uri had looked at him long enough to say goodbye.

Daniel knew he was a long way from letting go of his love for Sha'uri, he doubted he ever would, and an even longer way from releasing the pent up anger and helplessness that her loss had created in him. He also knew that there were a lot of things inside him that were going to drag him even further down a road it might someday prove impossible to return from unless ...

"It's all right, Thor, you couldn't have known."

Thor bowed his head deeply, accepting Daniel's words like a benediction.

Tel'nat had stood up and approached while Daniel had been lost in thought. Now Daniel could clearly read the anger in the Pal'noor's eyes.

"It is not possible," Tel'nat nearly whispered it.

Daniel felt Jack pull him back quickly as Tel'nat raised the gun in his hand.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||