THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 37

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net

Author's Notes: Yes, this fic is, almost, officially done. I want to take this opportunity to apologize to those who have had to wait...so patiently... for me while I worked on this. And, yes, Pat...I'm pulling out You Know What, even now! Anna, I wait impatiently for That Other Thing. And Jill...nice part...I'll see what I can do to it...er, with it. Thanks so much for your patience, guys! -- Jmas



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Daniel slowly became aware of distant voices and tried to sort them in his mind. Thor's soft, melodious tones were closest. A little further away was an exhausted question that could only have come from Jack.

"So what now?"

Daniel felt a chill run through his body that had no connection at all with the fever he felt returning in full force. Tel'nat's voice. Saying something about forgiveness in a tone that neither asked nor offered it. Despite the simple fact that Tel'nat had no right to be using them this way; despite the basic qualities of honor by which they had so wrongly assumed that Tel'nat would keep his word ... Tel'nat was not going to let them go.

Daniel opened his eyes slowly. He wasn't particularly ready to face whatever Tel'nat had in mind, but figured he'd be no more prepared later. And waiting only brought him closer to ... things he preferred not to dwell on. Daniel was quite well aware of how close his body was to giving up on him. The last hour or so in the maze had been accomplished through sheer stubbornness on his part. He'd gotten Jack into this, and Daniel was determined not to give up and leave his friend to finish this alone.

By the time they'd found Thor, Daniel had almost managed to convince himself that the searing heat of his body was as normal as the tremors and the tunnel-vision that had become his world. Until Thor had climbed on his back. It had seemed like a good idea at the time, but it had renewed the agony of the original wounding ... stealing away the resolve that he had managed to fold around himself. The blast of heat from the exploding trap had barely registered to him before he'd felt himself ripped from Jack's supporting arm and thrown into darkness.

But now the numbing darkness was fleeing just as swiftly as his strength and he knew that the time to act was now. While he still could.


Jack wasn't sure whether to be comforted by the fact that Daniel was regaining consciousness or not. Part of him wanted to protect Daniel from this new test that Tel'nat seemed intent on subjecting them to. Jack was sure, without really knowing why, that whatever Tel'nat had in mind ... Daniel was the one who would suffer because of it.

Looking down as Daniel opened his eyes, Jack knew that the younger man had been aware long enough to know that they were in another bad situation. A quirk of Daniel's eyebrow spoke volumes about the singular monotony of that particular state. Jack returned the smile and lent a hand to help Daniel sit up and face Tel'nat.

The Pal'noor was watching them, the alien-ness of his features making it nearly impossible to read what lay beneath that steady regard. Somehow Jack got the impression of a curiosity that bordered ... almost ... on respect.

Tel'nat waited until Daniel was upright and looking at him levelly before speaking.

"As you have likely surmised, the Hunting Fields have been more a test of your...humanity than your physical qualities. Although, I will admit to being somewhat surprised by your tenacity and determination when faced with a common goal. " Tel'nat sat one of the fallen stones almost casually, the gun in his hand never wavering. "We have tested humans before, I had no need to observe your physical abilities. I wanted to see what it was about you, in particular, that has defeated such overwhelming odds." Tel'nat's glance took in both Jack and Daniel.

Daniel sighed deeply, but Jack could see his mind churning over Tel'nat's admission. "So what did you learn?"

Tel'nat regarded Daniel thoughtfully. "An excellent question, Daniel Jackson. I learned that humans are not weakened by their emotions, but are instead strengthened. The weakness I'd perceived this 'feeling' to be can also, with sufficient motivation, drive you to rather impressive feats of honor and courage."

Jack felt more than a little confused. Tel'nat seemed almost amiable. "So what did you mean about 'the limits of forgiveness'?"

Tel'nat smiled, his expression changing, but still unreadable. Before he could speak again Thor interrupted. "What is it that you think you know, Tel'nat?"

"I know that you had the means to save Daniel Jackson's wife and did nothing."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||