THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 35

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jack gave a deep sigh before tightening one arm around Thor and the other around Daniel. Win or lose, Jack determined, they were going to do this together. He looked at Daniel, swaying on his feet but returning his gaze levelly. Daniel might be hanging on by his fingernails, but Jack knew his friend wasn't ready to let go.

Jack nodded and began a slow three-count. As the last word left his lips, Jack launched himself and Daniel toward the door at a breaking run. They'd gone three strides when the flash came, followed by an explosion of sound and searing heat that propelled them into the corridor. Jack lost his grip on Daniel as he rolled to keep Thor from bearing the brunt of the impact.

Jack lay still for a moment, reassuring himself that he was still in one relatively whole piece. As his senses caught up with him, Jack felt Thor rise slowly.

"O'Neill?" Something in Thor's tone made Jack sit up quickly.

Daniel was lying less than two feet from them...very still. Jack moved to his friend's side, reaching for a pulse. Daniel was alive and , outside of some definite singeing around the edges, seemed to have no new injuries.

Thor laid a long-fingered hand on Daniel's forehead. "His strength is failing, O'Neill."

"No," Jack stated firmly. "He'll make it. He's got to..."

Thor looked up at Jack with a level, sympathetic gaze.

"The hunt is complete, Tel'nat," Thor spoke aloud to the empty air. "You must keep your word."

Jack waited, expecting....something. There was only silence.

"Come on, Tel'nat," Jack snapped. "We beat your game. Let us go."

Tel'nat appeared. Not a hologram this time, Jack was sure of it.

"But O'Neill, why would I want to do that?"

Jack started jump up and ring Tel'nat's neck. All the rage and frustration of the past few days, the final straw atop all the liberties too many power-mad aliens seemed to be taking with all of their lives lately, surged to the surface in a rush of blind fury that just wanted some sort of justice for his team.

Tel'nat took a step back involuntarily, raising a weapon just as Jack started to move toward him.

"I think that may be unwise, O'Neill."

Jack sank back on his heels, feeling the emotions churning within him all the more strongly as they were denied release.

"So what now?" Jack asked, tiredly.

Tel'nat looked from Jack to Thor to Daniel, lying so still between them.

"Now we see the limits of Tau'ri forgiveness...."


Thor could see that O'Neill was more than a little confused by Tel'nat's words ... as was Thor himself.

The few conversations they had shared as the humans had endured their trials had made it apparent to Thor that Tel'nat was intrigued by the humans, especially by the emotions the Pal'noor claimed to view as such a hindrance.

Thor could sense that Daniel Jackson was slowly returning to consciousness, and feared for the young human. For some reason Thor could not yet fathom, Daniel had become Tel'nat's focus. Thor could only speculate as to the reasons. Daniel Jackson was so clearly the driving spirit of this group of humans, even Thor hadn't realized how true that statement was until he'd observed the distress the team had suffered throughout Daniel's ordeal. Tel'nat had obviously centered his study upon the intelligent and passionate human...but why?

As Daniel Jackson moaned softly and opened his eyes, Thor saw Tel'nat's expression change. Thor felt a sudden chill as he realized that this human's capacity to care and forgive, to remain steadfastly human and humane was about to be tested as never before.

Thor was afraid. A gripping fear shuddered through him that he had not experienced in many years. But it was not for himself, it was for the two humans who were his friends.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||