THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 33

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Daniel felt the darkness worrying at the edges of his vision and grabbed onto Jack's arm in a mute request to stop a moment. Jack nodded just as silently and held on to Daniel as they sat carefully against the wall. It was almost certain that they were being watched constantly, so Jack hadn't really seen the need for stealth. Daniel thought Jack was probably either angry with him for talking his way into this situation or simply didn't wish to distract Daniel, who admitted to himself at least that most of his concentration was focused on staying upright and moving.

Daniel laid his head in shaking hands for a moment and felt Jack's cool hand at he back of his neck. "I'm okay, Jack, " he murmured, not really believing it, but hoping Jack would.

"Sure, Daniel," Jack's voice was laden with doubt.

Daniel shook his head, resisting the impulse to laugh. "Sorry..."

Jack's hand tightened on the back of Daniel's neck briefly, causing Daniel to look up.

Jack was looking down the hallway, "Ready to go?"

Daniel nodded and accepted Jack's hand to help him up.

They moved forward slowly, Jack insisting on keeping a hand on Daniel at all times, ostensibly in case Tel'nat decided to transport them again. Privately Daniel thought it was more likely Jack's unsubtle way of helping him without ruffling his pride. Daniel admitted to himself that his pride was definitely the last thing on his agenda, and was grateful for the supporting hand.

As they came to a juncture of three corridors, Jack looked at Daniel questioningly. Daniel smiled a little. "Pick a direction?"

Jack grinned, with a surprised quirk to his eyebrow. "Works for me."


Jack had to admit that Daniel was doing better than he would have thought possible. The younger man was obviously tiring easily and Jack could feel the heat and tremors through Daniel's sleeve, but he just kept pushing onward. Jack knew that Daniel would hang on as long as he had to, or until his body just wouldn't let him anymore.

The corridors seemed to go on forever, but Jack got the distinct impression that they were moving steadily downward in a slope so subtle as to be nearly imperceptible. The lighting was sparse, but adequate to make their way without stumbling or walking into each other. So far they hadn't seen anything but stone blocks and dirt. No doors, no windows, no indications that life had existed here at any time in the recent past.

Daniel raised a hand beside him then, indicating a small block of writing on the opposite wall. Jack had no choice but to follow as Daniel knelt down in front of it, lips already moving and brain fully engaged.

" 'The center is the beginning, the only escape'. " Daniel looked up, shaking his head.

Jack looked down with a slight smile, "An 'exit' sign?"

Daniel nodded, hesitantly, "I suppose...as long as you know where the center is."

Jack thought for a moment. "Has it felt like we've been moving down to you?"

Daniel considered the words, "I thought it was just me..."

Jack winced inwardly at the words, Daniel had just admitted to feeling badly enough to be questioning his perceptions. "No, it was me, too. So if we keep bearing to the same direction at every intersection, and make sure we keep moving down, we should wind up at this 'center'?"

Daniel seemed to have trouble following Jack's convoluted logic, but nodded.

"Let's do it then."

They traveled on for a long time in silence. Jack became aware that Daniel was leaning on him more heavily by the moment, and finally Jack put Daniel's arm around his own shoulder firmly. Daniel looked at him strangely but finally nodded, admitting in the gesture that he needed the help; a fact which worried Jack all the more.

The corridors had indeed wound around in ever-tighter circles, bringing them to a steel door. Jack traded a questioning glance with Daniel, receiving a shrug in response. They really didn't have any other choices. Daniel removed his arm from Jack's shoulder, leaning on the opposite side of the door. Jack traded a nod with Daniel, then opened the door.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||