THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 30

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jack felt a moment of panic when he heard Daniel’s raspy voice call his name. Motioning for Teal’c and Connor to lower the stretcher, Jack knelt down beside an obviously agitated Daniel.

"Easy, Danny…"

Daniel was shaking his head and trying to sit up. Teal’c bent to provide the needed support, earning a grateful smile from Daniel.

"No, Jack. I remember. Ra’s bargain … "

Jack was growing more concerned by the second. The blue eyes were flashing with that familiar light of discovery and insight, but Daniel was beyond pale and every word seemed to rob him of precious energy.

"Daniel, it can wait."

Daniel shook his head emphatically, leaning back against Teal’c for a moment. "No, no, no. Jack, please listen …"

Jack sighed in resignation. He knew this was one argument that he couldn’t win. Daniel on a mission was a Daniel that Jack found difficult to counter on a good day. Now, with Daniel struggling to force out every word, pleading for Jack to just shut up and pay attention … Jack knew the batle was lost before it had ever begun. He sat back and waved a hand, letting Daniel know that he was ready to listen.

Daniel sighed, taking a deep breath and visibly gathering his scant energy, before continuing.

"The original deal … "

"Ra’s deal?" Jack asked, to spare Daniel the necessity of repeating it.

Daniel nodded, "Exactly. Ra’s deal."

The quiet, drained tone managed to reveal much in those few words as Daniel looked expectantly at Jack. Jack thought hard, but the words meant nothing and he shook his head as if to concede defeat.

Daniel’s exhaustion couldn’t quite suppress the impatient edge in his voice, "C’mon, Jack. Don’t you see? It *was* Ra’s deal. Thousands of years ago, when Ra pretty much ruled the Earth, humans were property." Daniel had to stop to catch his breath, leaning even heavier upon Teal’c.

Jack still hadn’t caught up to Daniel’s train of thought. Jack wondered privately if his train had even begun to leave the station. Jack could see that the others were as much in the dark as he was, which served to make him feel a little better about being so dense, but gave him no clue as to where Daniel was going with this.

Daniel drew a ragged breath and continued. "Ra ruled then. He had a certain kind of right to speak for Earth and to promise things on its behalf."

Carter seemed to catch on a little. "But Ra was shut off from Earth…"

Daniel nodded, closing his eyes in concentration, his brow furrowing as his thoughts visibly sought to untangle themselves. "Ra was kicked out, the humans living on Earth were free. Humans on Earth have lived free of Goa’uld influence or control for thousands of years now.:

Teal’c seemed to be catching on to something. "The original bargain spoke of Ra as supreme ruler of the First World, possessing all that fell within that domain …" A light seemed to dawn in Teal’c’s dark eyes and the big man actually smiled. He spoke the words at the same moment as Daniel, "For as long as he ruled there."

Daniel smiled, tiredly. "And Ra hasn’t ruled on Earth for a very long time…"

Jack smiled, tentatively at first, absorbing what he’d just heard. "A loophole, a damn big loophole." He grinned hugely. "Way to go, Daniel."

Daniel made no response. His message delivered, Daniel had let go and returned to the sleep he needed so badly. Teal’c laid the young man down gently, reaching to lay a hand on his forehead at the same moment Jack did. Jack won by default of his rank, feeling the scorching heat rising off of Daniel in waves. It wasn’t as bad as it had been the night before, but it was still far too hot.

Tucking the cloak back around his friend Jack wondered just what they could do with this newfound knowledge, and whether it mattered to Tel’nat in the least if he was holding them here illegally.


Thor could hardly believe what he was hearing. In that horribly weak voice, with an urgency that had to be forced by aching degrees from a body and soul stretched to its limits, Daniel had just revealed that Tel’nat had no right to detain, much less test, the humans. The Pal’noor did not generally take notice of the law which governed this sector of the galaxy … or any other for that matter. Thor took small comfort in the fact that Tel’nat was well-known to be honorable among his people, but the extent and capacity under which that honor was exercised could definitely be called into question.

Thor tried to rise and found his strength returning but still uncertain. He could actually manage a few steps, but could not travel far. The machine Tel’nat had used on him had drained him seriously, but not irreparably. If Thor could return to his ship, he could heal himself quickly…along with Daniel Jackson. If the Goa’uld healing device he could feel through the lining of the cloak he held wrapped around himself failed, Thor knew that his ship would indeed be the final hope for Daniel.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||