THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 28

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Thor felt his own heart lighten as he watched the Earth people gather around Daniel with an almost hesitant hopefulness. He was beginning to see just how vital this one terribly young, terribly ill man was to his friends. If Daniel Jackson was lost, Thor feared that this team would be as well. With a certainty that had no logical basis, Thor understood that, for this one moment in time, the lives of these four humans were completely and irrevocably intertwined around the spirit of Daniel Jackson.

Thor had watched through the hours of struggle, the tense moments when it seemed that Daniel’s fight was nearly lost. He’d felt himself drawn into O’Neill’s pained refusal to allow Daniel to surrender to the sickness that sought to claim him. He’d seen the memories return to Daniel’s too-wise eyes and seen the forgiveness take easy root there.

Thor felt in his heart that his own people could learn much from the example of these particular humans and vowed to at least attempt to make them listen. Assuming, of course, that any of them survived to leave this place. Daniel had defeated one aspect of the Hunting Fields, but Thor knew that many more dangers lay between him and the humans. He was not at all sure that Daniel could survive to find him.

Thor started to go to sleep, he had feared to do so while Daniel had been so ill, but a flicker behind Samantha Carter caught his eye.

It was Tel’nat.

He was standing there at the edge of the shadows watching the humans with an expression that spoke of deep bemusement. With a sudden nod, Tel’nat set down the box he was carrying and disappeared. Thor saw the human called Connor discover the box and take it over to the others.

It was food.


Jack was suspicious.

Tel’nat hadn’t shown any sign of compassion up until now and Jack wasn’t inclined to believe the Pal’noor had suddenly turned over a new leaf. There had to be a catch. And yet..

They all needed to eat…especially Daniel.

The fever, the lack of fluids and the fact that he hadn’t had a decent meal in days had left the younger man with a trembling weakness…a dangerous weakness according to Carter. Jack was in a definite confusion. For Daniel’s sake, they needed to take the risk, but what if the stuff was drugged…or worse, poisoned?

Teal’c had offered himself up as guinea pig again, but, as before, they couldn’t really be sure if the Jaffa would be affected if there were anything in the food. Without waiting to ask permission, Connor had taken a few bites as well, stating what they all knew too well…they had to eat, soon. Jack didn’t know whether to be angry or proud of the young captain, so he settled on a light cuff to the jaw, blunted by a quiet thanks. They could only hope…and wait.

Daniel lay there quietly on his side, dressed in warm, dry clothes that had been included in the box of food. Jack had finally gotten up, but didn’t stray far. Daniel was watching them all with an almost fearful expression, as if they would disappear if he took his eyes off of them. Jack had tried to be as reassuring as possible, but he felt awkward and hugely guilty for the means he had undertaken to make Daniel keep fighting. He wanted to say something, but didn’t quite know how or what. He didn’t even know if Daniel remembered what had happened. He hoped not. Jack had come a long way from the days when that tone and attitude had been an everyday part of his military life. He hadn’t liked calling up that part of himself any more than Daniel had likely enjoyed being a target for it. Jack found himself watching Daniel for signs that he remembered and hated him for it. But all Jack had seen so far was the tentative gaze that watched them so quietly.

"Y’okay?" Jack asked him.

Daniel nodded briefly. "Better…"

Jack couldn’t stop himself, he had to know. "Daniel, do you remember… ?"

Daniel looked up and met Jack’s eyes with a levelness and depth that said more than his words. "Jack, all I remember is that you were there when I needed you to be…" Daniel ducked his head a little and Jack knew that he remembered everything, but that it didn’t matter. Nothing Jack had done had affected their friendship. Jack wondered if there was anything that would.

He hoped he’d never have to find out.


Sam watched and waited with the rest of her team. Neither Teal’c nor Connor had shown any sign that the food was in any way tainted and she hoped it wasn’t just her own awareness of the desperate need in them all that pronounced that it was probably safe for them to eat it. They were a little hesitant at first, but finally hunger won out over caution and they ate their fill. Daniel picked at his portion, and Sam understood that his stomach was probably less that cooperative, but he did manage a little. There had been a bottle of water in the box and she made him take as much as he could of that.

Sam realized the colonel was suspicious of Tel’nat’s gift. She was too, but she found her mind lingering on Tel’nat’s motives. Was something changing the Pal’noor’s mind about them, or was aid and comfort a standard component of the hunting fields? Somehow Sam doubted either possibility, but she had no idea what else to think….

The colonel proposed to build a stretcher out of poles and one of the cloaks so they could carry Daniel … while he regained his strength. She knew the colonel had added the condition for Daniel’s sake, but she knew as well as the colonel did … as well as Daniel did … that if they didn’t find Thor soon, Daniel would likely never regain his strength. Daniel had survived this round, Sam didn’t delude herself into thinking that he’d survive another.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||