THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 27

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Teal’c had overheard the conversation between O’Neill and Daniel Jackson. He understood O’Neill’s actions, and grieved for the pain his commander was going through as a result. Watching O’Neill rocking the still figure in his arms in an instinctive rhythm of comfort and apology, Teal’c knew in his heart that Daniel Jackson would understand O’Neill’s motives … and most certainly would forgive him.

Just as he’d forgiven Teal’c.

Just as Daniel forgave nearly all trespasses … save those of the Goa’uld.

Teal’c had learned long ago that Daniel Jackson could not be judged by any concepts he had been familiar with in his former life.

In his many years as Apophis’ First Prime, Teal’c had known many people, Jaffa, slave, and Goa’uld alike; but none had possessed the peculiar variety of integrity and honor he found in the young human scholar. Master Bra’tac had taught a system of honor subtly different from that of the other Jaffa teacher’s, but it was nonetheless a system based upon the Jaffa mold. A system grounded in antiquity and fashioned around the military mindset that *was* their life among the false gods.

Daniel Jackson was different. His honor was based on something far more tenuous, but so intrinsically a part of him that he could conceive of no other way to be. Daniel Jackson believed in a universal goodness, that at the heart of nearly every life form lay something that could redeem them. All too often he’d been disappointed, but occasionally, and usually quite surprisingly, he was proven right.

Teal’c himself was proof of that.


// Ra approached across the burning sand. Daniel was too tired to play the game again. He knew how it had to end. Ra looked down at Daniel where he lay, the heat penetrating his body, aching and soothing all at once.

Ra smiled that same secret smile, stooping down to sit beside Daniel.

"You already have the answer, Daniel."

"I do?" Daniel’s exhausted voice was laden with doubt.

Ra nodded kindly. "You need only to remember it."

Daniel closed his eyes, "I guess I should wake up then …" //

Daniel opened his eyes slowly, watching the shadowy forest tilt in his bleary vision before righting itself abruptly. He wanted to laugh at the peculiar sight but couldn’t seem to find the energy, so he settled for a smile. There was something rumbling against his back and he became aware of being very wet.

As his thoughts settled into something approaching order, Daniel realized the rumbling vibration behind him was Jack. Snoring. He smiled again at the image that it brought to his mind. They must look quite the mess indeed. Personally he felt like a drowned rat. A very drained, very weak, but very much alive, drowned rat. Daniel wasn’t quite sure yet how he felt about that…

Glancing around, Daniel could see Carter and Connor sleeping around the fire. He didn’t see Teal’c, but knew the Jaffa was keeping watch or Jack would not be sleeping so soundly … or so loudly. He knew Jack had been holding him like this for a long tome. The few lucid moments he could recall had found him in this same position.

Daniel remembered darkness, but it didn’t pull at him now like it had before. He remembered voices, caring, afraid, gentle… He remembered…an order. Jack wouldn’t let him go.

No. Colonel O’Neill wouldn’t let him go.

Daniel knew, better than most, that his friend Jack and Colonel Jack O’Neill were two different people. Colonel O’Neill was the stranger he’d walked through the Stargate with four years ago. Daniel hadn’t seen much of that cold bastard lately. He remembered being rather surprised that Jack had managed to find him again.

On some deep level of understanding, Daniel realized that he hadn’t given Jack much of a choice. He remembered asking permission…for what he wasn’t even sure himself. He remembered the look of fear in Jack’s eyes. Daniel knew it was the fear that had given birth to the implacable voice that had ordered him to stay. He knew Jack would beat himself up over it and wondered if he could ever make Jack understand that it was the fear that had made him fight to stay … not that other guy.

Daniel tried to raise up a little on trembling arms that didn’t seem to want to support him. The snoring stopped immediately and he felt Jack grip him tighter as if the older man expected another round of nightmares.

"Ow. Easy, Jack…"

"Sorry, Danny."

Jack straightened up against Daniel and the worry-lined face appeared over his shoulder.

"Daniel?" Jack’s voice was incredulous.

Daniel smiled a little, nodding. "Yeah. What’d I miss?"


Connor woke to the sound of Colonel O’Neill laughing. His first thought was that he was hearing things. His second thought was that maybe Daniel had died, and what he was hearing was crying not laughing. He didn’t have time for a third thought as he looked over to see that Daniel’s eyes were open and more than a little teary as the colonel wrapped him up in a dry cloak with a big hug that had nothing to do with restraining him.

Teal’c was looking on with an unfathomable expression, but Connor could definitely see moisture glistening in dark eyes before the big man moved quietly to join his friends. Major Carter woke up at Connor’s touch on her shoulder.

"Daniel …?"

The major rolled to her feet in one fluid motion and rushed to Daniel’s side. Connor was less than a step behind her, but hung back. He understood that SG1 needed this time together. Daniel was alive.

Once again and against all probability, Daniel Jackson was alive.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||