THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 21

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jack jumped involuntarily when Daniel awakened with a start, looking around blearily then finally met Jack's eyes accusingly.

"Jack, we don't have time ..."

"It's only a few hours, Daniel. We all needed the break." Jack nodded to indicate Carter and Connor dozing nearby. Jack had tried to sleep, but found himself unable to relax. He was starting to get that itchy feeling again. So far the hunting fields had proved relatively tame and that worried Jack.

Even taking into consideration the attack of the alien animal, this place had proved unexpectedly calm. Jack doubted that Tel'nat was going to continue to be so easy on them. And Jack had no doubt that everything that happened was somehow orchestrated by Tel'nat. If they were being left alone, it was only because Tel'nat wanted it that way, perhaps to foster a feeling of misplaced security? To study them for weaknesses?

Jack moved to Daniel, re-bandaging his back...noting that the soaking had neither helped nor hurt the inflammation ... and helped him ease back into his coverall. Jack laid the cloak gingerly across Daniel's shoulders and received a grateful nod.

"Connor and Teal'c found another one of those markers on the other side of those trees..." Jack explained as he handed over another cup of water.

Daniel looked at Jack strangely, "That's ... convenient ..."

Jack nodded agreeing with Daniel's tone as much as his sarcastic words. Daniel had more personal experience with Tel'nat; if he sensed a certain contrivance in this whole situation, then Jack was more than a little inclined to agree.

"We'll give them a few more minutes then move out."

Daniel took one of Carter's rags and washed his face with it, eyes closed as the cool water ran them.

"Daniel?"

Daniel shook his head, "It's okay, Jack. I'll be ..."

"Fine?" Jack let the doubt hang heavy in his voice, but let the subject drop.


Thor watched the two friends once again exchange wordless communication. He wondered again if these two particular Tau'ri were not telepathic. The communication between them was extremely subtle, yet expressed much.

A high-pitched whine behind him warned Thor as Tel'nat appeared in a burst of energy.

"Interesting, are they not?"

Thor inclined his head slightly, but did not deign to answer further.

Tel'nat moved to the holographic projection, studying the two men intently. "I can see how their determination would help them prevail against the Goa'uld but this ... emotion...."

Thor noted that Tel'nat spoke the word as if it were as foreign a concept to him as the torture he had inflicted upon Daniel was to Thor. The irony was not lost on Thor.

"They see their emotions as a strength, not a weakness, " Thor observed.

Tel'nat looked at the smaller alien in contempt, then back at the two humans. "Perhaps we should put that belief to the test?"

Tel'nat disappeared as swiftly as he'd come. Thor looked again at the tired, pale face of Daniel, the concerned, deeply lined face of O'Neill. Thor feared greatly for his human friends. Whatever Tel'nat had planned, it was almost certain to be directed at these two.


As they walked toward the place Teal'c and Connor had found, Daniel tried to keep his mind focused on the here and now. There was a definite feeling of imminent danger. Jack was right, Tel'nat had been giving them too easy a time so far. Daniel guessed that they'd been observed all along, studied for weaknesses. If that were so, then Daniel himself had given away the most crucial piece of information ... the bomb. He was sure that the Pal'noor would have some way of blocking the Stargate, unless they were so totally confident in their own superiority that they'd never considered the possibility. Daniel doubted it.

Daniel noticed the others eyeing the low trees warily; they felt it, too. Jack met Daniel's glance with a somber smile, then went back to scanning the trees. Daniel hadn't missed the way the group had moved to surround and support him. He appreciated the gesture for what it was, but worried that his increasingly poor condition was placing them all in even greater danger. A tap on the shoulder from Sam pulled him out of those dark thoughts and he gave her a slight smile.

"I'm okay, Sam."

She nodded in response, accepting his answer with a distinct lack of conviction in her eyes.

Daniel smiled again and returned his attention to the trail, just in time to see a flash of color and sound. There on the trail less than ten yards ahead of them was his cloak. The one they'd last seen wrapped around Thor.

Jack moved forward one step, indicating that the rest of them should not follow. Daniel knew what his team leader ... his friend … was thinking.

"Jack, no ... " Daniel's voice was low, but insistent.

Jack looked back at Daniel in frustration, with a definite edge of irritation.

"It's too easy, Jack," Daniel reasoned. "Tel'nat's not just going to hand it over to us."

Jack nodded once, his eyes on the pile of fabric lying so near.

"But what if he did...?" Jack looked deeply into Daniel's eyes. Daniel knew how bad he looked, they all knew he needed help, but only he knew how soon it would have to come. Already he could feel the stress on his system, the pull on his lungs and heart as they worked ever harder to keep up with the demands he was placing on them.

"It's not worth it, Jack," he whispered.

Jack met Daniel's eyes in that same, level, soul-searching gaze they'd shared over the campfire just before the animal had attacked.

"Yes, it is."

Daniel could only watch helplessly as Jack moved forward into what was most certainly a trap.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||