THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 19

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Connor wasn't entirely sure what was going on with his teammates, but he knew it was serious...and that Daniel was at the center of it. Connor was more than a little impressed that Daniel was plodding steadily onward...despite the increasingly obvious effort on his face. There was a lot more to Doctor Daniel Jackson than Connor would have ever expected. This curiously gentle, intelligent man possessed a core of iron that would not let him give up.

They still had no idea where they were going, but Connor couldn't help joking that they were making good time. The colonel looked up with a sardonic smile, the major actually laughed and even Teal'c raised an eyebrow that made Connor wonder just how lost the Jaffa actually was when it came to Earth humor. Daniel nodded, a smile barely touching his eyes, and kept walking. To Connor it seemed that all of Daniel's energy was focused on the simple task of putting one foot in front of the other. Connor realized suddenly that it probably was.

The terrain had been changing gradually as they walked; the sparse rocky landscape giving way to sandy soil and finally a sloping plain of bluish grass. Connor hoped the comparatively healthier vegetation was a sign that they were nearing a water source. They'd all been too long without water. The moisture-rich fruit helped, but Connor knew that it would soon become a more pressing need...especially for Daniel...


As Teal'c walked slightly behind Daniel Jackson, he couldn't help but notice that the younger man was growing more ashen by the moment. He could not continue much further without rest. Teal'c traded a glance with O'Neill, who nodded and gave a little head shake ... He saw it as well, but they would continue for a while longer.

Teal’c’s thoughts were interrupted by a low sound, a whisper-soft gurgle that seemed to be fairly close. Water. Teal’c was sure of it. He held up a hand to stop the others, asking in the same gesture for silence.

There.

Teal’c moved forward a dozen paces, listened, moved again….

There, amidst the tall grasses…a small spring, barely more than a trickle but it was water.

Motioning for the others to join him, Teal’c bent to touch the surface of the water, sniffing gently, then tasting it. Major Carter started to protest, but he had only to look at her to still her protests. He was the only logical choice to test the water, if something was wrong with it… his symbiote would likely protect him. None of them mentioned the possibility that his infant Goa’uld would not let any potentially harmful substance affect him in the first place. The situation was far too dire, they would have to take the chance.

As they all settled on the grass to wait, Jack looked over at Daniel. His eyes were half-closed, masking the pain Jack knew resided there. Carter had pulled out some of the cloth left over from their servants’ garb. If the water was deemed safe, she intended to clean Daniel’s wounds … and Jack’s own. The possibility that the same bacteria that had infected Daniel might also take hold of him had crossed Jack’s mind more than once.

Jack watched as Daniel’s eyes widened and he rose unsteadily, making for something in the distance. Jack jumped up and started after him.

"Daniel…?"

Daniel raised a hand, motioning Jack forward. "Do you see it?"

Jack strained his eyes in the direction Daniel pointed.

"What…?"

"Don’t you see it, Jack?"

Jack peered at the copse of scrubby trees Daniel indicated. He still didn’t see …

Daniel made a sound of impatience and strode unsteadily toward the trees, Jack following in frustration. As the neared the spot, Jack caught up to Daniel … a protest on his lips that Daniel was fevered and likely seeing things. Then he saw it, too.

Imbedded in a tree trunk, barely visible amidst the tree’s own color … was a small round disk with a symbol on it. Jack looked at Daniel, the question in his eyes.

Daniel took a ragged breath, his fingers outlining the symbol carefully.

"It’s the symbol for the Asgard." Jack heard Daniel’s deep sigh, heard it cut off in the middle, and turned to see Daniel hit his knees.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||