THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 18

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


// Ra appeared through the desert heat, once again holding out the scroll. Some part of Daniel watched as if from far away, aware that it was a dream, but also aware that it was important. Ra smiled that same inscrutable smile and the scroll disappeared in a flash of fire in hands that seemed very far away.... //

Daniel awoke with a sharp cry, becoming aware of the pain in his back in a rush of sensation. Hands helped him roll over, touched his forehead with a coolness that sent a chill through his body.

"It's okay. Go back to sleep."

Jack. It was always Jack. The one remaining certainty in his life. If Daniel hadn't stopped that thing....

Daniel felt another shiver that had nothing to do with cold. He hated himself for feeling this way, hated allowing his emotions to need that anchor, hated knowing that by feeling this way he might also might feel that loss again if something should happen to Jack...

Daniel shivered again, he didn't feel very well...it was hard to think. He opened his eyes to see Jack looking down at him. Daniel tried to speak, but had to lick dry lips before he could manage it.

"Jack? Y'okay?"

Jack shook his head, laughing quietly.

"Fine. And you?" The words were casual, but the tone told Daniel so much more. Jack was okay. Jack was grateful. Jack was worried. Jack could say a lot with a few words. Daniel almost laughed at his own absurd thoughts, but settled on a slight nod.

"Not so hot..." Daniel hadn't meant for that to slip out, but it was true. His back was on fire, his head throbbed unmercifully and sweat was pouring off of him.

"I know it, Danny. Not much we can do about it right now, though. Teal'c and Connor are scouting around for water right now."

Daniel nodded. "How long have we been here?"

Jack shrugged, and looked away. "Not too long...."

Daniel knew Jack was lying and sat up quickly. "Dammit, Jack, I'm not an invalid ..."

Even as he said it, Daniel felt the darkness gathering around him, but fought past it. "We have to get going..."

Jack pushed him back down easily, "Hey, we're not on a time limit here, Danny. We can afford to take a break."

Daniel shook his head. "No, Jack. We can't. Have you forgotten about the bomb?"


Sam had been listening from her place on watch. She could tell from the colonel's face that in all the excitement, he had let it move down his list of priorities. The people of Pal’noor, beings who no doubt were as mistreated by Tel’nat as they had been, did not deserve to die. Of course, Sam reflected, there was also the not insignificant fact that their way home was the Pal’noor Stargate … if they could get back there. Trust Daniel to be thinking ahead of them all... even when he was so sick.

Sam was worried about him, the infection had set in quickly...too quickly. Who knew what sort of alien bacteria could have invaded Daniel's system that he'd have no immunity to. It was a constant concern for the SGC, but rare enough considering how many worlds they visited on a weekly basis. What concerned her in this case was the fact that this was a totally alien environment. They'd been on very few worlds that had not in some way been touched by a human presence and therefore human viruses and bacteria...they'd been lucky so far. But Sam was afraid that in this particular instance, even if they got Daniel home...Earth means might not be sufficient. They had to get that healing device.

Sam watched as the colonel finally gave in to Daniel's irrefutable logic and helped the younger man to stand, wrapping one of the Jaffa cloaks around his shoulders in a gesture both solicitous and defeated. They both knew that Daniel belonged in a hospital, but Sam seriously doubted if there was a hospital on Earth that could help Daniel. Looking up to meet the colonel's gaze, Sam realized he knew it, too. This hunt had taken on an entirely new objective; it wasn't just about saving Earth anymore. That grand and noble purpose was certainly their ultimate duty and priority. But they both knew that saving Daniel's life coincided with that first duty...and Sam didn't even want to consider failing at either of them.


Jack and Carter packed up their spartan camp while Daniel paced around slowly, leaning on one of the spears for balance. Jack could see his friend gathering his energy for the undoubtedly long trek ahead of them. Daniel was moving far more steadily than Jack would have given odds on just a few hours ago, although he remained ghostly pale. In those fever-bright eyes, Jack could see the determination building in Daniel. He'd make it...because he had to.

Jack sighed again as he tied up the last of the bundles and moved to stand beside Carter.

"That's it. As soon as Teal'c and Connor get back, we can move out."

Carter nodded, glancing over to where Daniel was still pacing. "We've got to find Thor, Colonel."

Jack knew what she wasn't saying. "We will, Carter. We have to."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||