THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 16

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Thor watched the holographic images Tel'nat was transmitting with growing concern. He was uncertain of what had just passed silently between Daniel and O'Neill, but the communication seemed almost telepathic in nature. Thor felt in himself an unfamiliar emotion...anger...upon seeing Daniel's injuries. Such senseless torture was so foreign to the Asgard's nature that he could not entirely fathom the concept.

Many centuries had passed in Asgard history since such barbarism had been an option. Thor knew that such things existed in the history of every world, but it had never been more than a remote theory to him...something that had been, but was no more. Until now. O'Neill had once made an impassioned plea on Thor's homeworld, arguing that the Tau'ri were even now fighting a battle against such barbarism as the Goa'uld were capable of. The Asgard Council had been duly impressed by O'Neill's words, but had not really let it affect their policies. The Tau'ri were a race to be observed, but other than the mediation of the treaty, the Asgard had no real intent to interfere in Earth's plight.

Watching the two men in the projection, Thor couldn't help but notice the lines of pain and wisdom on both faces. Earth's struggle was taking a toll on the humans. Daniel's deep eyes spoke of much loss, and O'Neill's reflected an understanding of that loss that could only come from having experienced it himself. For the first time in many years, Thor questioned the wisdom of the Council.

The sudden growling from the bushes caused Thor to back up involuntarily and he could only watch helplessly as the two humans prepared to do battle with their primitive weapons...


Teal'c's head jerked up suddenly at the distant sound of growling. His sense of hearing, enhanced just as were his other senses by the infant Goa'uld he carried, was far more perceptive than his human companions'. Teal'c continued wrapping the stones to create the 'bola' as Captain Connor had shown him. It appeared to him to be a strange weapon, but Connor assured him that it would be highly effective at long range. The sound increased in pitch, but did not seem to be moving any closer to their encampment..

"Teal'c?" Major Carter had noticed his listening stance.

"A creature, still quite some distance away," he replied quietly, still focusing part of his attention on the possible threat.

"We'll take turns at watch," Major Carter ordered, receiving a nod of agreement from Teal'c and Connor. They had established a fairly defensible encampment, started a fire and scavenged some strange looking fruit; the only physical need of great concern was water....as yet there had been no indication of any.

An impossibly familiar noise in the same general direction as the animal's growl caused Teal'c to stand, the bola dangling from his hand.

"Teal'c? What is...?"

Teal'c raised a hand for silence and listened again.

The distant voice was unmistakable.

"O'Neill!"


Sam and Connor had no hope of keeping up with Teal'c's running form, but they managed to keep the big Jaffa in sight and followed as quickly as they could. They were close enough now to hear the animal's scream...then there was silence. Trading glances as they ran, Sam and Connor increased their pace.

Tearing around the rocks, Sam was shocked to see Daniel kneeling on the ground next to the body of a very large cat-like creature. A spear, much like the ones they had fashioned, protruded from the animal's side. As she came closer, Sam could see the colonel lying on the ground in front of the animal, his arm was scratched but it didn't appear to be deep. Teal'c was assuring himself that the animal was dead. Sam motioned for Connor to check on Daniel while she went to help the colonel.

"You okay, sir?"

The colonel nodded, peeking beneath his fingers to check the damage. "Yeah...looks worse than it is..."

Sam helped him to his feet.

"Daniel?" The colonel was looking over at where Connor was helping the younger man to sit near the fire.

Daniel nodded, still breathing deeply. Sam could see the color draining from Daniel's face even now.

"Daniel, did you...?" She pointed in the direction of the animal.

"Save my ass?" The colonel finished with a grimacing smile. "You bet he did."

Daniel looked up with a bit of a smile, then slid to the ground in a dead faint.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||