THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 10

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jack's first impression as he exited the wormhole was that Pal'noor, or wherever this was, was depressing. Everything around the Stargate, not that there was much to see beyond the high stone wall surrounding the gate on all sides, was a dull, dirty gray. The air itself, under the swirling clouds, was thick with despair.

A chiming noise caught their attention as footsteps approached from behind the stone wall. A group of...people...came forward slowly.

They were vaguely humanoid, slightly shorter than any of them on average, but solidly built and well muscled under a layer of coarse fur that seemed to cover their entire bodies. Slitted eyes looked out from furred faces that revealed nothing but haughty distrust. One of them stepped forward to greet Daniel in Goa'uld.

Jack recognized a few words, but was more caught up in the change in Daniel's aspect. Goodness knew, Daniel had more up close and personal experience with the head Goa'uld than any of them...Ra, Apophis, Heru'ur, Hathor, Amaunet. In a very real way, Daniel had done more than his share of homework when it came to the capital-A attitude that was the Goa'uld. He had the look, the mannerisms, down to a fine art.

The head Pal'noor was obviously following the pleasantries that universally attended such occasions as this. Daniel was looking around and nodding in a perpetually bored and unimpressed way. He waved a hand negligently back in their direction and the Pal'noor nodded, indicating that they should follow.

Beyond the wall was a city much like many of the others they had encountered in their travels. Except for some subtle differences in architecture, even Jack could see that this city could have belonged to any Earth city, circa 1700. The stonework, the heavy timbers all spoke of a somewhat simplistic society. Of course they knew better than to accept things on face value. The main street they were being led down directly faced what could only be called a castle; high stone parapets overshadowed even the tallest buildings of the city. Jack had a distinctly uneasy feeling that everything on this planet was built for function, not aesthetics. There were no decorative touches, nothing to indicate character or individuality...and in Jack's experience that could mean big trouble.

They were escorted to the second floor of the castle and shown to a suite of rooms on the second level. The Pal'noor who had done all the talking so far indicated the bedrooms and facilities, as well as an assortment of odd-looking food. He bowed slightly to Daniel and left them alone.

Jack started to speak, remaining silent for so long had stressed his natural proclivity to lead with his mouth, but Teal'c raised a hand in warning and began to search the room. Connor found the first device, obviously some sort of listening device, and a more thorough search turned up four more. Daniel opened the bottle of amber liquid on the table and dropped them all into it, replacing the bottle on the table.

Teal'c nodded approval. "It is an expected component of such negotiations."

Jack smiled, tightly, "You mean we just got one up on them?"

Teal'c looked confused, but Daniel nodded. "Something like that. They may look rather primitive, but they are definitely technologically advanced."

"What makes you think that? " Connor asked curiously.

Carter waved a hand toward the windows, the gray skies over the dirty city. "Pollution."

Daniel moved to sit on the low, leather-covered sofa. "The one who brought us here is Tel'nat, He's the leader of this faction of the Pal'noor. It's what we thought; they're very feudal...only coming together against greater common enemies. I don't trust him."

It was quite a statement for Daniel, who tended to come down on the too-trusting side of any encounter. Jack looked more carefully at Daniel and noted the tight-lips and the tense way he was holding his hands. This Tel'nat had made Daniel extremely uncomfortable...without knowing what had been said, Jack couldn't know why...but if this guy made Daniel nervous, Jack knew they'd have to be all the more wary around him.


Teal'c hadn't missed the things Daniel Jackson had chosen not to reveal about Tel'nat. If forced to make an assessment based on the overheard conversation, Teal'c would characterize the Pal'noor as calculating, probably cruel, and possibly possessed of what passed for honor among his people. Tel'nat had spoken of Ra only briefly, but with no real interest. Several poorly concealed attempts had been made to elicit information, all neatly evaded by Daniel Jackson. Teal'c had been unexpectedly disturbed by the young man's too-perfect imitation of his hated enemies...as well as the way that the younger man had tricked the Pal'noor. Deceit was not a characteristic Teal'c was comfortable associating with Daniel Jackson. From Daniel Jackson's ill expression when Tel'nat had finally left them alone, Teal'c was sure that it did not sit well with his young friend either.

Several comments on the long walk toward the castle had given Teal'c the impression that the Pal'noor operated under some variety of a code of honor, but those same comments made Teal'c doubt the likelihood that it resembled any form akin to his own, or that of the Tau'ri.

Teal'c had noted O'Neill's observation of Daniel Jackson's reactions to the initial meetings with the Pal'noor leader. O'Neill was well aware that something was not quite right about the conversations that had taken place between Daniel Jackson and Tel'nat. Teal'c expected to be questioned later on the subject. He was not disappointed.


The actual negotiations were not expected to start until the next morning and Sam was glad they'd have this chance to settle into their assumed roles. She'd seen how uptight Daniel had been after the first encounter with Tel'nat. Maybe the extra time would help him to process those first impressions.

Teal'c had reported to the three of them after Daniel had retired for the night, complaining of a headache after spending the evening in a particularly gloomy mood. The colonel had ordered their friend to bed and the rest of them had gathered to talk to Teal'c.

Teal'c told them about his perceptions concerning the alien leader and affirmed that Daniel had done an excellent job...which they all had fairly well suspected. They'd also been equally aware of Daniel's discomfort with the part he had to play, but as the colonel said...it was too late now to do anything about it. Sam knew Daniel would continue to perform as expected, but she was equally aware that they owed Daniel a big one when they got back.

Sam had been heartened to see the deep concern in Connor's eyes. The colonel had been right about Connor. The young captain fit into their tightly knit group almost seamlessly, what he lacked in experience with them...he more than made up for with his competence and big heart. Sam had held a special liking for Connor since the mess with Hanson, although she'd had to fight down an occasional case of the tremors immediately following the creepiness surrounding Tonane's spirits. If they had to be stuck in this mess with anyone other that themselves, she was glad it was Connor.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||