THE EYE OF THE STORM: Part 3

by:  Miss Beth
Feedback to:  missbeth@epix.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.   No infringement intended for "There But For the Grace of God" (written by Robert C. Cooper).


Samantha

Sam curled her hands around a mug of tea and listened as the colonel began the debrief. Since they didn't know Daniel's story yet, she didn't imagine it would take all that long.

"With just the Goa'uld warning I might have taken a few hours to look around, General, but as soon as Teal'c said the planet's surface would be radioactive, I ordered us out. We got back to the Gate and waited for a minute--it just looked like Daniel had gotten his head wrapped around an artifact again and was dragging his feet."

Jack shrugged and ran a hand through his hair, leaving it looking as ragged as he probably felt. As she felt. It had been a long day of worry and uncertainty, and until Daniel woke up, that apparently wasn't going to change.

"I went back to get him, sir," Sam continued, "but he wasn't there. There was no sign of him or his gear, and it looked like several of the artifacts were missing from the table. We did a cursory search, then I came back through to request additional personnel."

"You sent SG8 with her and we executed a standard search pattern, for six hours, with no sign of him at all." Jack pushed himself back from the table and stood to pace. "We were in the Gate room when I heard a cry. We went back to the artifact room, and there he was, like we'd somehow just overlooked him, lying there on the floor."

"Teal'c said Doctor Jackson had been hurt by a staff weapon," the general prodded.

"That's what it looked like," Sam confirmed, "but Teal'c certainly didn't do it, and we didn't even see signs of mice, yet alone the Goa'uld. But then Daniel said they were coming, and--"

"He said what?" The general's gaze swiveled sharply between her and the colonel. "He said the Goa'uld are coming?"

"Yes, sir," the colonel sighed, rubbing his neck and dropping heavily back into his chair. "But he was only conscious for a minute. He mumbled something to me about being home, and passed out. We have no idea what he meant, or how he got hurt, or where the hell he'd been for six hours."

"Or where he got this Stargate address," Sam added, and pulled the much-crumpled piece of paper out of her pocket.

"Stargate address?" General Hammond reached for the yellow paper and stared at the coordinates. "Do we know where this is?"

"No, sir," Sam replied. "I checked a few minutes ago, and it's not in the database."

"Well," the general said heavily, "travel to P3R233 is definitely off limits, and I'm setting a guard back on the Gate room. I guess we'll have to finish your debrief later, when Doctor Jackson's conscious."

They stood to leave then, but a soft knock on the door had them turning as Janet entered.

"Doctor Frazier?"

"It'll be a while before I have the results of the blood tests, General," she cautioned, "but the MRI was clear. Unless the blood tests show something, I think the worst he'll suffer in the morning is a sore shoulder."

Sam took a deep breath, felt a few of the knots in her stomach unwinding. And then realized that Janet was still far too preoccupied for it to be that simple.

"We need to talk to him, Doctor," General Hammond said softly. "Will he be conscious soon?"

"I wish I knew that, sir," Janet shrugged. "We've dressed the burns on his shoulder and we're treating him for shock. But I don't know yet what caused him to go into shock. My guess is he won't be out for more than a few hours, but I won't be able to tell you more until I get the blood work back."

"Is there anything I can do?" Sam really didn't like the frown Janet still wore.

Janet nodded. "Come back to the lab when you're done here, and we'll run a few more tests."

"We're done now, " the general dismissed them.

Sam carefully re-folded the Gate coordinates and tucked the paper into her pocket as they left. But it wasn't as easy, as Janet started discussing the tests, to dismiss the questions that still nagged her--or the certainty that this was somehow far from over.


Back
Back to Stories Page