IT DON'T MATTER TO THE SUN

by:  Brenna
Feedback to:  brenna@mtneer.net

Author's Notes:  This is my first (and quite probably my only) post to the SGFic list. This story was inspired by all the wonderful storeis that have been posted to that site. So basically guys, this baby is all your fault. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

A great big "THANKS" goes out to: Bastet, Judy, Sharon and Sarah for their help and encouragement. You girls are the best!

This is only the second fictional story I have ever written (in my entire life) so if you could keep the flames down to match size, I would really appreciate it. I don't mind flames, I expect flames. Let's just make sure we roast marshmallows not burn down a city block.



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jack turned over and glanced at the clock on the nightstand. The green neon display blinked 04:17. Rolling onto his back, Jack stared into the darkness dreading the arrival of another day. In the morning he would be forced to face Daniel and then his world would change forever.

It had been a really long day, week actually. Jack massaged his neck vainly trying to release his headache. It had been building for days but one look from Daniel had caused the pain to rocket from annoying to incapacitating.

Mulling over the events of the past few days Jack discovered, not surprisingly, they parallelled the progression of his headache. It had appeared the moment Thor announced Jack would be Earth's representative at the peace negotiations. *Considering they're as smart as they are, those guys certainly make some lousy decisions. First they crash land in backwater New Mexico instead of taking that left at Albuquerque.* Jack grinned at his own joke. He really had no idea why nobody appreciated his sense of humor. *Then they come up with this "Jack O'Neill intergalactic diplomat" crap. What were they thinking? I can't talk to Carter for more than five minutes without insulting scientists, women, and computer geeks everywhere. Who was their second choice, Maybourne?*

His headache rose to a dull throb when he realised the Goa'uld system lords would arrive to a defenseless SGC. No weapons were allowed on the premises during the negotiations. A very bad idea in Jack's opinion, but Thor had insisted and General Hammond had agreed. The throbbing peaked when those three jerks had walked out of the negotiations just because he had spoken out of turn. *Way to go Jack. Looks like the only way you can keep from insulting someone is to keep your mouth shut. Fortunately, Daniel was able to fix that little screw up.*

When the Secretary of Defense told them the President had decided to surrender the Gate Jack expected the pain in his head to increase. It hadn't. The decision was inevitable.

Jack was more surprised by Daniel's calm reaction. He thought Daniel would throw a tantrum over the injustice of it all. *That kid can go from calm to hyper in a mili-second.* Once again, Jack had misjudged his friend. Daniel, the true diplomat of the group, had known the gates would be forfeit. There was no other way.

Then Daniel had turned towards him, clear blue eyes locking with his own. Jack knew Earth may have given up Gate travel but Daniel Jackson; scientist, explorer, husband had not. He had accepted the decision before it had officially been made and planned his reaction. Daniel wasn't going to stay. He wouldn't abandon the search for Sha're or the fight against the Goa'uld. He would never surrender his hope, his life so easily. Daniel would continue his quest by stepping through Earth's Stargate one final time. For a moment Jack's headache disappeared. *I suppose a headache is a trivial matter when you're heart stops beating.*

"Jack, we have to talk...." Daniel began but was cut off by General Hammond.

Wham, his headache was back. The sudden resurgence of pain caused Jack to catch his breath. *No. No. We do not have to talk. Not now.*

"I'm sorry son, but I think Colonel O'Neill should get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be a very long day for our diplomatic liason." Hammond tried to smile.

"The General's right Daniel. I'm beat. We'll talk in the morning, o'kay." *Liar! Coward!*

Jack was already out of the conference room but Daniel's soft reply followed him down the corridor. "Sure Jack, first thing in the morning...."

It was the look on Daniel's face, not General Hammond's order, that had sent Jack retreating to his room. It haunted him everytime he closed his eyes. Was it possible to sleep without closing your eyes? *Hell, even Teal'c closes his eyes when he does that Kelnoreme meditation thingy.*

Jack rolled off the bed. He had to walk off some of this stress. Opening the door slightly Jack glanced down the hall, no sign of Daniel. He let out a sigh of relief and jogged toward the elevator. He had to avoid Daniel. Jack needed time to think, time to prepare himself for the confrontation that would come. *Jesus, Danny...*

He managed to escape the mountain complex without bumping into Daniel. *He's probably hunched up in a corner of the cafeteria drinking coffee. Or he's in his office packing up his few personal possessions.* Jack kicked a rock in frustration as he hiked to the parking area.

Jumping into his jeep, Jack shoved the key into the ignition, and placed his hand on the gear shift. *Get a hold of yourself Jack.* General Hammond would have his head, and more valuable parts of his body, on a silver platter if he left the base. Swearing softly to himself, Jack released the gear shift and turned the radio on. *I certainly can't be court martialed for listening to some music.*

The peaceful night was broken by the deep monotone of the radio announcer. "...when asked to comment, local officials..." *News? You want news? How's this for a headline? ET and three alien snakes meet in top secret underground facility to discuss the future of Earth. In a related story, Air Force Colonel Jack O'Neill suffered a massive cerebral hemmorage, when...* Jack frowned and hit the scan button. *I didn't think so.*

The soft strumming of a guitar floated out of the speaker. *Man where is that rock station?* The singer began as Jack reached for the scan button....

It don't matter to the sun
if you go or if you stay
You know the sun is gonna rise
shine down on another day

Jack's arm dropped limply to his side. *What the...*

There'll still be a tomomorrow
even if you choose to leave
'Cause it don't matter to the sun
but it matters to me

*You bet it matters! God Danny what am I gonna do without you? You're family. I can't lose anymore family! Hell Daniel, you're probably the only reason I survived the first time. If you hadn't gone on that first mission to Abydos......*

It ain't gonna stop the world
if you walk out that door
This old world will just keep turnin' round - turnin' round
like it did the day before

You see to them it makes no difference
they just keep on keeping time
'Cause it ain't gonna stop the world out there
but it'll be the end of mine

*Hell, shutting down the Stargate may save the world but it will end mine.* Jack hit the steering wheel in frustration. *It will destroy my family. It won't be just you leaving me either Danny. Teal'c will join Bra'tac in the rebellion. Carter will be reassigned, sent back to Washington DC or shipped off to NASA. Can't let that brain of hers go to waste.*

*Me? I'll just retire again. Spend my nights staring at the stars wondering what has happened to my friend, my brother. Hell Daniel, I have a very descriptive imagination and you are a "walking bulls-eye"! You'll probably get yourself killed in a week, without me watching your back! How many lives does a Space Monkey have anyway?*

*Maybe I could have you locked up until the gates are sealed, but then you'd hate me. I'm sure you'd find some way out anyway. Why do you think I don't want to talk to you? Not only are you going to tell me you're going but you're gonna ask for my help convincing the General. Dammit Daniel, you know I'll help you. Why don't you just ask me to cut out my heart while I'm at it?*

It don't matter to the moon
if you're not in my life
No the moon will just keep hangin' round - hangin' round
like it's just another night

*There has to be another way! I didn't ask for this job but I'll be damned if I'll give up my family without a fight.*

It don't matter to the moon
but it matters to me

Jack turned off the engine and jumped out of his jeep. As he headed back into the mountain, the pain in Jack's head ebbed away as stress and fear were replaced with hope. He had to find Daniel, they needed to talk.

The first rays of dawn stained the sky pink as Jack entered the complex.


Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||