THE DEVIL TO PAY: Part 18

by:  Jmas and PHO
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net
and phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part Eighteen: by Jmas

Unrestrained.

Jack felt his heart sink at Makepeace's words. They wouldn't have left Daniel here alone and unbound.unless..

No! It couldn't be true. Jack wouldn't allow it.

Jack looked at Makepeace, unable to find the words but knowing that Makepeace understood what he was thinking.

Makepeace turned to Jack sadly, still keeping the Zat trained on Daniel's still form. "Jack." Makepeace seemed to be struggling for the words. "I know how you feel, believe me. But you have to face facts.that's not Daniel anymore."

Jack could only shake his head mutely, every fiber of his being protesting the cold reality.

Makepeace put his free hand to Jack's shoulder, shaking gently. "Jack, please. We have to do it while he's vulnerable. You know it's the only way. We have to do it for Daniel."

For Daniel. The words sunk into Jack's stunned brain with numbing clarity. They had to help Daniel.even if it meant..

For a moment, Jack's world centered on the quiet face before him. The pain Daniel had suffered was etched clearly on his still features, all too evident even in sleep. Apophis had been merciless, that much was clear. Bruises and welts stood starkly against the pale skin, blood flowed sluggishly from numerous wounds over the arms and torso before pooling beneath the body and dripping to the floor in a deadly rhythm. It was a miracle Daniel had even survived.a miracle that Jack couldn't help but curse.

Daniel. His friend.the friend of his heart.the steady voice of reason and fairness.the conscience who had grown to become so much more. It couldn't be ending this way.

It wasn't fair, but no power that was supposedly in control of such things seemed very concerned with granting Daniel fairness. From the very beginning Daniel's life had been one blow after another, barely allowing the young man time to recover before stripping him of still another facet of his life that Daniel had allowed to become important. It was a constant source of amazement to Jack that Daniel had turned out as gentle and trusting as he still was.had been.

Jack swallowed hard against the burning lump in his throat, nodding to Makepeace as he said a quiet goodbye to his friend and turned away.

At the first blast of the Zat gun, Jack felt his knees give and he hit the ground, bracing himself for the sound of the second.killing.shot.


Makepeace felt his heart leap into his throat as he pulled the trigger the first time. Daniel barely reacted to the energy blast, but Makepeace could feel the expected pain echoing throughout his own body. He was committed to doing this, to sparing Jack this particular guilty memory, but he hadn't expected it to be so hard.

He kept flashing on the image of the kid as he limped down the Tok'ra tunnels underneath Hathor's stronghold. As hurt as he was Daniel had tried to help one of Makepeace's fallen men. He'd had to drag Daniel away, force him to leave the injured man behind. Daniel was one of the last of the good guys, and a source of constant amazement to Makepeace.though he would never have admitted it. He liked the stubborn scientist more than he'd ever admit.

Makepeace felt his hand shake in a way it hadn't since boot camp. As many times as he'd had to pull the trigger in battle this.execution.was just plain not right.

But it had to be done.

Makepeace raised the weapon again, fighting the tremors to take careful aim.

"Stop!"


Sam couldn't believe what she was seeing.

They had come through the heavy door in time to see Colonel O'Neill fall to his knees and Colonel Makepeace discharge the Zat gun. Shock had almost kept her from shouting in time to stop the second shot.

"It's Daniel."

Makepeace wheeled toward her in obvious anger. "We know that, Major Carter. But he's also been compromised."

Sam jumped to Daniel's side. "No, sir. I mean it is Daniel. There is no Goa'uld here."

Makepeace looked down at Daniel for a long moment, finally releasing a deep sigh. "You're sure?"

Sam touched Daniel's head a moment, reaching for that part of Jolinar that allowed her to sense the presence of Goa'ulds. "Only Daniel, sir. He hasn't been taken as a host."

Makepeace looked down at the weapon in his hand, his face noticeably growing paler. "Oh, God." Makepeace threw the gun against the wall, shattering it, before stalking away and turning his back on them.

Colonel O'Neill sank down further, sitting down on the ground and rubbing his head as if trying to push something away. Sam stooped to check on him while Teal'c and Aris moved to Daniel's side. Sam had finally put together all the small clues she'd noticed on the trip here.the colonel had been under orders to kill Daniel if he'd become a host.

"Sir, it's okay. Daniel wasn't taken over."

"He is gravely injured, but should recover with medical attention." Teal'c's quiet voice informed them.

The colonel nodded and slowly the color seemed to return to his face. He looked up finally, reaching out a hand for Sam to help him rise. Sam watched the colonel walk over to Daniel and place a hand on their friend's forehead. Many expressions flowed over the colonel's features, not the least of which was guilt.

"Too close, major.." The voice was barely a whisper.

Sam nodded. "Too damn close, sir."


Daniel felt a light touch on his forehead as the darkness refused to let him hide any longer. He opened his eyes slowly, dreading what he would see. The last thing he remembered was Apophis standing over him and somebody entering the room.

As the mists cleared from his vision, Daniel thought he saw..

"Jack.?" The dry grating whisper sounded weak even to himself. Daniel blinked hard, trying to convince himself that what he was seeing was real.

Jack smiled, eyes misting over in something Daniel couldn't quite understand.

" 'S okay?"

Jack laughed softly, his hand stroking Daniel's forehead. Daniel wondered what was wrong with Jack, but couldn't muster the energy to ask. Jack would tell him.sooner or later.

"Jack?"

"Yeah, Danny?"

"Can we go now?"


Back
Back to Stories Page