THE DEVIL TO PAY: Part 17

by:  Jmas and PHO
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net
and phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part Seventeen: by PHO

'So much blood. He's too weak. He won't be able to fight it.' Jack flashed back to the horrific moment when Hathor's little buddy had taken up residence in his head. The pain had been monstrous, and the thoughts ... The sheer venom that the little creature had for mankind in general, and him in particular, had been almost overwhelming in itself. It had only taken a few minutes for the Tok'ra agent to lower him into the cryogenic chamber, but it had seemed to be hours. The intensity of the pain as the Goa'uld fought for control of his mind and body, while the beast inside his head assailed his thoughts with promises of more pain to come, had ended with the freezing process. The creature's death scream had given him migraines for weeks, and memories for eternity. Now his young friend was faced with the same horror, and there would be no cryogenic chamber to offer him sweet release. 'I wouldn't want to live like that. I'd rather die. Daniel would rather die.' A nightmare vision of vivid blue eyes begging for release only to be submerged by the glowing orbs of the symbiont almost took him to his knees. A strong hand on his arm saved him from a fall.

"Jack?"

"Please let this be a dream. Just a very bad dream." Jack's voice was quiet ... too quiet.

Makepeace almost didn't hear the tormented whisper as the pair slipped quietly along the halls, following an increasingly large trail of blood. He knew instinctively that no reply was needed, or expected. Feeling quickly under his Jaffa attire for his hidden Zat gun, he only now wondered why the guards they'd taken out were not armed with the device. The thought breezed through almost unnoticed as he watched his Air Force counterpart. The other man wore an expression more closely aligned with the walking dead, than anything else Makepeace could think of. Daniel's death at Jack's hands would destroy two members of SG-1. Makepeace could not, would not allow that to happen. The Marine tightened his grip on the Zat gun as he came to a decision. If Daniel was Goa'uld, Makepeace would strike the fatal blow.


"Holy Hannah!" Sam stared in horror at the manacles on the floor of the throne room. The floor beneath them was slick with the red stuff, already turning brownish-red as it dried. "D..Daniel?"

The Jaffa was frowning. "I fear it is, Major Carter."

"But where is he now?"

Aris spoke up, his expression unreadable, as he knelt to probe the manacles, and test the consistency of the reddish liquid. "With this much blood-loss, either the sarcophagus, or..."

"Or what, Boch?"

"Or the Hie'la Kai'." Teal'c added softly, more than a touch of anger in his voice.

"The what?" Sam waited on the answer, knowing instinctively that she was not going to like it.

Aris replied for the glowering Jaffa. "Hie'la Kai' ... the place of beginnings. The Goa'uld holy of holies, where ceremonies are performed."

"Transference?" Sam gulped as she spoke the word.

"Among others."

Sam thought for a brief moment. "Aris, do you know where this chamber is?"

"I do."

"Then we go there. If Daniel's in the sarcophagus, then he's safe, at least for the time being. The same can't be said of the other choice."

Teal'c nodded his agreement as Aris stood upright again. The alien sighed heavily. "There's something else. There are booted footprints in the blood, not just Jaffa tread. Either O'Neill or Makepeace has been here ... recently, but I do not know which one."

"Not both?" Sam's horrified question echoed in the chamber.

Aris looked truly sad, all trace of his arrogance gone. "I'm sorry, Major, really I am, but only one of them made it this far. At least, that's the story that the footprints tell."

The young Major nodded her understanding. Losses could be dealt with later. "Okay. Take us to the chamber."


Apophis had arrived. The scraping of the door on the marble floor alone would have given it away. But the expression in the eyes of the First Prime only served to increase the panic in Daniel's. 'Please God. Please.'

Lo'wn stepped to one side and bowed low before his god. A dark hand, roughened with labor in the mines of Netu, none-too-gently took hold of Daniel's face. "I am pleased, Lo'wn. His appearance is no longer displeasing to me."

'Wish I could say the same thing, you sorry son-of-a-bitch.' Daniel's thoughts translated into a repulsed glare as he bit down hard on the gag in frustration.

Apophis smiled benignly and stroked the young prisoner's cheek, then brutally seized Daniel's chin and held it fast. "Look Lo'wn, weak, and frightened, he still resists. It will be a pleasure subjugating him. ... It is time."

Daniel shuddered involuntarily as the words struck home. 'Jack? Now would be a good time.'

"Oh, I do not think so... slave!"

Held fast by his bonds, Daniel could not see the latest arrival, but Apophis and Lo'wn certainly could. From the corner of his eye, Daniel saw the First Prime pale, and collapse, disappearing from his line of sight. And Apophis himself ... Daniel was surprised to note that Goa'ulds could turn that particular shade of green.

Apophis' mouth opened and closed, but for a moment, no words would come. Finally, a strangled, "My Lord Sokar" squeaked past almost paralyzed vocal chords.

"ON ...YOUR ... KNEES!"

The malevolence in the voice chilled Daniel to the bone, and the name. Dear God. Not two of them. Already weakened by blood loss, and fear, he was unable to contain the single tear that streaked down his cheek. Dark shadows played with his vision as angry words filled the air. Finally succumbing to his exhaustion, the young man welcomed the darkness.


The blood trail led to a solitary door. O'Neill and Makepeace listened carefully, but no sound was forthcoming. Makepeace kicked the door in, and O'Neill burst through, followed by the Marine, both men with weapons at the ready.

The room was deserted, except for a solitary figure on an altar in the center of the room. Multi-colored lights from the ceiling cast an eerie glow on the motionless form of Daniel Jackson.

"Daniel!" Jack started toward his friend, only to be held back by Makepeace. "What the... That's Daniel, and he's hurt!"

Makepeace frowned, and carefully aimed his Zat gun at the prostrate form. "I can see that, Jack, but he's also ... unrestrained."


Back
Back to Stories Page