THE DEVIL TO PAY: Part 16

by:  Jmas and PHO
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net
and phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part Sixteen: by Jmas

The hooded stranger watched from the shadows as two Jaffa unlocked the chains that bound the barely conscious human to the floor. The manacles at his feet were removed before he was roughly dragged toward the entrance of the chamber reserved for Goa'uld ceremonies. The stranger smiled with anticipation as he realized Apophis had reached the end of his game. Apophis intended to take this young human as a host this very day.

The stranger considered his next move. He knew there were hidden passages that would take him into the ceremonial chamber. Once the ritual began, Apophis would be vulnerable, attended only by his first prime. Yes, that would be the best opportunity to exact his revenge on Apophis.

The stranger signaled his attendants to follow him into the shadows. He wanted to reach the chamber before the transfer occurred. He preferred to have Apophis remain in his current host. It pleased him to see the once-haughty System Lord so horribly disfigured, to see the self-revulsion it caused.

The stranger smiled again.

If his plan worked, Apophis' discomfiture had only begun..


Aris smiled at the major's obvious and tantalizing attributes. The clothing he had provided was more than a little flattering.

*Who knew there was actually a figure under all that olive drab.. *

As Carter turned toward him, Aris tried to school his face into an expression less leering. He was more than convinced that the good major would follow through on her previous threat.

They had made their way into the palace with relative ease. Aris' cover story that he had pressing business with Apophis had gotten them through the inner and outer gates fairly quickly. To Aris that fact alone spoke of the tenuousness of Apophis' control. The palace troops were just a few steps short of incompetent.a fact he hoped would work to their advantage.

As they attempted to blend into the shadows of the empty corridor, Carter took possession of her weapon with a satisfied smile. Aris couldn't help musing that she looked like some sort of warrior princess from a bad holo-fic.

"So where do we go from here?" she asked.

Aris shrugged his shoulders. "My guess would be the throne room."

Carter nodded, motioning for him to lead the way. Aris wondered if it was because she knew he had been here before.or the fact that she knew following her was more than a little.distracting. Suppressing that particular speculation, Aris nodded and moved out.


Jack knew they were in trouble.or, more importantly, Daniel was.

They had found the throne room..and the chains.and the blood..

Jack knew right down to his bones that it was Daniel's blood.

So much.

Jack had known intellectually that Apophis hadn't brought Daniel here for tea and conversation, but this.

If Daniel were still alive, it would be a miracle. Or a sarcophagus.which in a lot of ways would be worse. The thought of Daniel locked into a cycle of life, death, and life was almost as painful to contemplate as the possibility that Daniel could even now be Apophis.

*This whole damn situation is too much to handle, * Jack despaired. *How am I gonna look into those eyes.those eyes that trusted me from the very first to make everything okay.and kill my friend. God, I can't do this anymore. *

"Jack!" Makepeace's voice was a little panicky and Jack realized the marine must have been calling to him for quite awhile.

"Yeah, I'm here. I'm okay."

Makepeace gave Jack a patented glare. "Like hell you are. Jack, there's a blood trail. We need to go now."

Jack's eyes followed Makepeace's gesture. There were drops and smears of blood leading out of the room into a dark corridor. He took a deep breath, trying to pull himself together, and nodded. Makepeace led off but waited for Jack to come alongside him. Jack jumped a little as a hand touched his shoulder and squeezed it.

Jack looked into the big marine's eyes with a grateful nod. "Thanks, Robert."

Makepeace smiled grimly. "Let's not borrow trouble, Jack. We need to find the kid."

Jack sighed again. "Right. Let's go."


Daniel awoke to a red haze of pain.

He vaguely remembered the guards dragging.wherever he was now.and tying him down to the stone altar. The gag was still there and painfully tight, nearly choking him with its dryness. Peering through the haze, Daniel realized where he was, the symbols above him were frighteningly familiar.

This was a place of ritual, a place where the Goa'uld performed that most gruesome of ceremonies.the taking of a host.

God.

Daniel tried to fight the rush of revulsion and panic that swept over him, but realized that it really didn't matter anymore.

Jack wasn't going to make it.

Apophis was going to win.

Daniel was aware of someone.Lo'wn.cleaning his wounds. Daniel entertained the absurd thought that Apophis must want a clean body to take over. Some vague region of Daniel's brain wondered why Apophis hadn't put him back in the sarcophagus before going through the ritual.

*He wants me weak, * Daniel realized. *He thinks he's nearly broken my spirit and I won't put up much resistance when he tries to take over. God, don't let this happen.

Jack.please.

I don't want to live like that.

Like Sha're did..

Kill me if you need to, but don't let me live that way. *

Daniel felt a protesting scream build at the back of his throat, but could not release it around the dry cloth in his mouth.

Lo'wn hesitated in his work, looking into Daniel's eyes. "You are afraid?"

Daniel nodded, beyond caring what this man thought of him.

Lo'wn smiled in unexpected sympathy. "I do not blame you for that. To be a Jaffa is a difficult life, but I would not wish to become a host. I will remember you, you fought well."

The statement was so surreal that all Daniel could do was blink at the big Jaffa.

A scraping noise accompanied the opening of the door.

Apophis had arrived.


Back
Back to Stories Page