THE DEVIL TO PAY: Part 15

by:  Jmas and PHO
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net
and phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part Fifteen: by PHO

"My Lord Apophis?" Lo'wn approached his master timorously, uncertain how the Goa'uld Lord would take his news.

"What?" Apophis' gaze never wavered from the window.

"My Lord, the caverns have been breached."

"Indeed. ... When?"

The reaction was not what the First Prime had anticipated. He caught himself frowning, albeit briefly, and quickly schooled his features into the emotionless display his master preferred. "Just now, my Lord. The second alarm just sounded."

This brought a reaction. The Goa'uld's eyes narrowed as he whirled to face his Jaffa. "Second alarm. The first has not yet been reported."

"It did not go off, my Lord." Lo'wn braced for the reaction he knew would come.

It was not long in coming. A heavy ornamental vase flew savagely across the room, shattering into a million shards of color. "Imbeciles! Is it the Tau'ri?"

"I..I do not know, my Lord."

"Then make the determination quickly. Do not fail me in this."

"I will return with the answer shortly, my Lord." Lo'wn bowed repeatedly as he backed away.

Apophis turned to stare out the window again. "And, Lo'wn. The guard that set the first alarm. Have him killed. ... Slowly."


"Dammit to hell! Shit!" Jack O'Neill hit the wall of the narrow corridor in frustration.

Makepeace moved quickly around the other man. "Well, isn't this special?"

The rock fall blocking what used to be the left hand passageway appeared to be recent. Oddly, the right hand passageway remained clear. Makepeace growled angrily. "Well, doesn't that beat all. Right's clear, and it's the wrong damn way. ... What are you doing?"

Jack was kneeling, staring at the rocks. He reached forward, and pulled a small scrap of material from a jagged edge farthest to the left. "What does this look like?"

Makepeace took the scrap from him. "Like the robes from those dudes we saw earlier. And that means..." Running his fingers down the walls nearest the fallen rocks, he suddenly paused and smiled. "Breeze."

"Sweet." Jack rose swiftly. "Let's see if we can get this open."

"Switches?"

"Levers, buttons, could be anything. AH HA! What have we here?" Jack slipped a finger into a narrow opening. "I suppose I should say 'Open Sesame'?"

"Just push it or pull it or bite it, O'Neill!" Makepeace's hands were talking as rapidly as he was.

"Patience, Makepeace." Jack pulled the oddly shape rock toward him. The cavern wall slid silently into itself and the men found themselves staring at the smooth, textured walls of what could only be ... the palace. Or to be precise... the dungeon. Jack felt his spirits rise. They were close to Daniel. They just had to be.


"I am not wearing that." Sam eyed the outfit Aris had produced with disgust. Actually, there was not enough material present, in Sam's opinion, to even qualify as an outfit. She wasn't even sure it would count as a bikini.

"Oh, really, Major, I'm told the Tau'ri women enjoy the attention such clothing inspi.." Aris's reply was choked off by Teal'c's large hands positioned strategically around his throat.

"Major Carter does not wish to wear what you have presented." The Jaffa tightened his hold, lifting the alien mere inches off of the floor and remaining expressionless as Aris attempted to nod his understanding, all the while pinned against the wall of the abandoned house in which they'd taken refuge.

"It's okay, Teal'c, put him down. We still may need him."

"As you wish, Major Carter."

Aris rubbed his sore throat, and eyed the Jaffa closely as he pulled yet another dress from his travel bag.

Sam positively growled. "BOCH!"

The alien raised his hands and backed away from the SG-1 pair. "Honest, Major, I'm not trying anything funny. This really is what the women in the city will be wearing. You'll draw too much attention dressed like you are."

She glared at the flimsy material for a moment, before snatching it from his hands and disappearing into another room of the small house. "Boch, if you're lying, you will not have to worry about Teal'c."


They'd gone left, hoping that Teal'c's memories had applied to the palace as well as the caverns. The hall turned into more of a ramp as it circled upward, the angle of the slope growing more steep the farther they traveled. Makepeace kept a close eye on his counterpart. With every step, Jack was once again sinking into an unnatural despair. The Marine was certain it was due to the lack of guards, or anything else for that matter. A rhythmic thud attracted their attention, and they slid to a halt, senses on the alert for trouble. It was soon apparent that the thudding was actually the footsteps of at least two people. Moving as one, the two Colonels ran quietly back toward a narrow passageway further down the hall. Motioning Makepeace into the dead-end corridor, Jack pointed quickly to himself, then the Marine's weapon. Makepeace returned the nod, smiling grimly, as he easily picked up on the other man's intention.


He awakened with a start, wondering just how long he'd been unconscious this time. For a brief, glorious moment, he thought he'd smelled the Abydonian fragrance that Sha're had loved so much. A smile played across his torn lips as he recalled trading two useless credit cards for the formula. He'd later seen the old Abydonian woman with the Mastercard and Visa dangling from her ears.

His road to full awareness was paved with pain, both mental and physical. Tears filled Daniel's eyes as he recalled the hateful images of his beloved wife's actions as the Goa'uld, Amaunet. He grieved for the sorrow he knew she felt as she helplessly ordered the death of an entire town on another desert planet, and other, even more unspeakable acts.

Daniel sensed he didn't have long. That soon the Goa'uld games would begin anew, and he'd once more succumb to Apophis' sadistic attentions. Something in him knew the end was near; that the monster inside the poor old Egyptian host was growing weary of the cycle of pain he was inflicting.

God, he was so tired, so very tired. Tired of fighting, tired of living, and very, very tired of dying.


"I feel ridiculous." Makepeace muttered as he clanked noisily up the hall. Both guards were now unconscious, bound and gagged in the dead end corridor. And Jack was pretending to be a prisoner. So far. So good. The Marine continued his diatribe. "This thing weighs a ton. And it's hot as hell." There was no reaction from his comrade. Makepeace placed a gloved hand on Jack's shoulder, pulling him to a stop. "O'Neill?"

"I'm fine."

"I don't think so. Should I go on alone?"

Jack shook his head. "No. I can do what's necessary."

"Are you certain?"

The pain in the Air Force Colonel's eyes caused the Marine to visibly wince as the other man replied quietly. "Yes. I owe it to Daniel. If ... if anyone's going to take his life, it'll be me."


The heat in the chamber was almost unbearable. Sweat flowed freely from every pour, and the pain, he'd never felt such pain. For the first time in his memory, he wanted to die, to surrender forever the life that was so very precious to him. But he'd see him in hell first ... what a laugh, this had to be hell, or at least the closest thing he'd ever seen to it. An incredibly strong hand jerked his head backwards, and he watched with horror as the brand neared his face. No, please no! Wasn't it enough that he died? He could feel the heat from the brand as it grew ever closer...

"NOOOOOOOO!" His scream echoed through the chamber as the brand ... and full consciousness, hit home. Apophis sat bolt upright in his bed, his hand drawn unconsciously to the dreadfully misshapen and scarred portion of his face. Gasping, he waited a moment for his composure to return. "LO'WN!"

The First Prime was there instantly. Apophis wondered briefly if the Jaffa ever slept, then discounted the thought as unimportant. "Yes, my Lord?"

"I grow tired of the games. Have him brought to the holy place, and notify my priests that the ceremony of transfer is to begin... immediately.


Back
Back to Stories Page