THE DEVIL TO PAY: Part 14

by:  Jmas and PHO
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net
and phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part Fourteen: by Jmas

Apophis was well pleased. He had given Daniel Jackson just enough time in the sarcophagus to assure his restoration to life, but not enough to fully heal him or to allow him the ease of rest. The sight of the young Tau'ri's panicked face as they had opened the device had been most gratifying. Apophis was well acquainted with the shock of returning to life.it was something he had come to expect and even enjoy in some ways.

Watching his rival's discomfort now as he shivered with pain and disorientation, Apophis smiled. A few more 'deaths' and Daniel Jackson would break.he had to.

"It is your own fault, Daniel," Apophis informed the shaking human kneeling before him. "All you need do is submit and your suffering will end."

"Go to hell," Daniel grated out, glaring up at Apophis. "Oh, sorry.you already did that."

Apophis let his hand fly in rage, striking Daniel to the ground then kneeling to pull his head up by the hair. The strength of spirit in the gaze was infuriating. "Laugh now, Daniel Jackson. In the end you will be mine."

Daniel looked up for a moment, seeming to consider something. "I...uh.really don't think so."

The insolent tone ran through Apophis' veins, fiery hot and encompassing.

Apophis drew his knife once again.

Daniel would submit, Apophis vowed.or experience pain such as he had never known..


Makepeace waited until the figures had moved further into the tunnels, disappearing from sight and sound.

"So what do you think that was?" he asked Jack.

Jack shook his head briefly. "I dunno. Those weren't Apophis' usual type of guards. Leftovers from Sokar maybe. I wish."

Jack bit off his comment, but Makepeace was certain of what it was. They all wished Daniel was here.with them and not imprisoned and going through God knew what at the hands of one of their greatest enemies. Makepeace could see the thoughts racing through Jack's eyes and figured it was time to get moving.

"Well, whoever they were they're gone. Just like we need to be."

Jack nodded, pulling himself back to the present with visible effort before moving out.


The hooded figure moved cautiously into the lower throne room. Apophis was nowhere in sight, but the human from the auction was bleeding freely on the floor at the center of the room. The stranger wondered what game Apophis was playing with the human, but realized the end purpose certainly would be to take him as a host.

The figure studied the strong, somewhat pleasant face lying there on the floor. Someday.if they failed.he might need to recognize this face in battle. It was a young human, lids half drawn over deep blue eyes. The face was somewhat concealed by bruises, but still obviously determined. Blood ran freely from numerous slashes and cuts and the human's breath came in short shuddering gasps around the cloth that kept him silent.

It was obvious that Apophis sought to punish the human.but the matter was not worthy of the stranger's continued attention. He had more pressing business..


Sam was getting more than a little ticked off at Aris' arrogant and condescending tone. She was beginning to not care that they needed the tough bounty hunter. She tried to keep in mind that Daniel's life was at stake and that helped.but he had nearly gotten on her last nerve and she didn't know how much longer she could refrain from wiping that superior smile off Aris' face with her field kit.

A look at Teal'c helped to steady her nerves. The Jaffa had been more than usually quiet and contemplative as they'd traveled. As they drew closer to the palace walls, Sam was sure that something was weighing heavily on her friend's mind.

"Teal'c?" She made a question of the name, knowing Teal'c would understand.

Teal'c shook his head briefly. "It is nothing, Major Carter. I am concerned for Daniel Jackson."

Sam nodded, not really believing it but realizing that Teal'c wasn't prepared to talk about it. She was worried about Daniel, too.and the colonel. The look on her commanding officer's face as they'd parted in the tunnels had spoken of more than just concern for Daniel. Something else was at stake here.something her mind refused to put into words and her heart dreaded to contemplate.

They had to find Daniel.

Soon.


Jack didn't know how much longer he could hold on to his rage.much less his sanity. He had agreed to Hammond's directive. Fury burned in his heart as he heard his own voice confirm that if all options failed, he would take his friend's life.

Daniel.

This was Daniel for God's sake.

Jack didn't want to consider the scenario that would place his hand on the trigger of the weapon that would discharge.stilling the beat of his friend's passionate heart. But he couldn't escape the vision.it was there every time he closed his eyes. Daniel's eyes glowing with Apophis' malevolent spirit, the gentle voice cruelly altered for all time.

Assassination was not a foreign concept to Jack. Not too long ago Jack had performed such missions with a detachment that had seemed normal, expected even. But Jack knew he wasn't the same man who had risen through the ranks of Black Ops with such speed and success.

And Daniel was a large part of the reason why.

They'd been through so much.hurt together, laughed together, even died together..

Now the possibility existed that Jack would have to destroy his best friend.and Jack's very soul cried for them both.


Daniel knew he couldn't last much longer.

The pain, the effects of the sarcophagus, the images that wavered through his mind like fever dreams..

He was losing touch with the resolve that had brought him through so much in his life. Nothing he had been through.with the vivid exception of Sha're's death.had ever hurt this much.

Daniel tried to pull the good memories close around his heart, to shore up his flagging spirit.

*Jack laughing at one of Daniel's self-deprecating jokes..

Sam engrossed in his words as he finally hit the key to a day's long mystery..

Teal'c..holding him up with that solid support that had somehow become so natural, so expected.

Sha're dancing in the moonlight.eyes home to a million reflected stars..a mystery of the ages, just like Abydos..*

Daniel felt a sob try to escape around the gag Apophis had tied too tightly around his mouth. Jack had to be close.he'd promised..

A shiver that had nothing to do with coldness or pain rippled through Daniel's tired body. Jack would try.he knew that. But as time wore on Daniel knew that help might not reach him in time.

And his heart grieved that his friends.most likely Jack.might be forced to kill him. Daniel sent a small prayer skyward that Jack would accept the guilt.and the consequences.of that failure and not allow it to destroy him.

Daniel hoped that he would have the opportunity to absolve his friend of that guilt before he died.

And took Apophis with him.


Back
Back to Stories Page