THE DEVIL TO PAY: Part 12

by:  Jmas and PHO
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net
and phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part Twelve: by Jmas

Jack knew that Makepeace was right. They didn't have much time and his own attitude wasn't helping matters any. Daniel, if he was still Daniel, didn't have time for Jack to wallow in self-pity or nightmare images of what might come. He had to deal with now and let the rest of it come as it would.

Teal'c had roused from his meditation to announce that he had remembered Bra'tac's words. The second Stargate on Delmak was located just outside the city, underneath an old temple. Bra'tac had believed that there were tunnels leading from the temple into Sokar's.now Apophis'.throne room, a kind of escape route. Jack recalled something Daniel had once said about the ancient Egyptians having a thing for secret passages and tunnels.maybe they'd gotten it from the Goa'uld.or the Goa'uld had gotten it from them.or whatever.

At least now they had a way in.

Aris announced that they were coming into Kilymar's orbit, warning them to prepare for landing. Teal'c moved forward to assist Aris while the rest of them finished their packing and moved to their seats. Jack watched Aris and Teal'c working together smoothly as they guided the Teltac through the atmosphere into Kilymar's indigo skies.

Jack had been rather surprised by Aris' words to his cousin. Jack hadn't trusted Aris, working on the assumption that Aris was in this for the money.like always. Aris' statement that everything wasn't about money was.in Jack's estimation.totally out of character for the bounty hunter. Maybe Carter was right, maybe Aris had changed. Jack hoped so. He was more than a little surprised that Aris was still with them, he'd only agreed to get them in and out of the auction.

Aris seemed to realize that he was under Jack's scrutiny, looking back over his shoulder with his trademark grin.

"What's the matter, Jack? Waiting for me to up the ante?"

Jack was a little flustered that his thoughts were so obvious. "Well, sorta, yeah. Why are you still here, Boch?"

Aris turned back to the control panel, checking that Teal'c still had the landing well in hand.

"Some things are worth more than money," Aris stated softly. "Things have been bad for us since Sokar took his nose-dive.not that they were that great before, but hey." Aris smiled wryly. "When everything starts to fall apart you find out who your friends are.and aren't."

Carter smiled. "And Apophis?"

"Aren't." Aris grinned again, looking back at Carter. " The Tok'ra are. You were right about them. I've helped them out on a few things." Aris' eyes turned cold. "And they've helped me out when."

"The Roshna?" Carter asked gently.

Aris nodded. "Yeah. They really came through for me when it counted."

Jack tried to wrap his mind around this new, improved version of Aris Boch. "That still doesn't explain why you're helping us."

Aris shook his head, giving a half shrug. "What can I say, Jack? I hate the Goa'uld.that's no secret. Things were bad enough for my people under Sokar.it was hell. But it was a hell we understood. Apophis turned his back on them. Nothing. Zip. If it weren't for the few of us who get the Roshna to them, what's left of my race would be dead in a week." Aris turned to look at Jack levelly, his entire aspect growing serious. "Not too long ago that wouldn't have bothered me that much..those were the breaks. Now it matters." Aris grinned again. "Maybe all that excess Earth-style nobility is rubbing off on me. I like your pal. He's got spunk. I don't know what all this stuff is with Apophis, but I do know he deserves better than what old snake eye will give him.."

Jack looked long and hard at Aris, reading the man's direct gaze and finally nodding. "You got that right.Daniel does deserve better."


Apophis stretched lazily, watching Daniel Jackson strain against the chains to get away once again. Apophis had indulged himself for hours, but had yet to complete the stubborn Tau'ri's humiliation. Apophis had applied the hand device repeatedly, taking the young human to the brink of unconsciousness as well as supplying a myriad of interesting images for him to dwell upon. Apophis was a master of the many techniques of human subjugation. Daniel huddled before him, shaking with pain and clearly unable to focus his vision, swaying even as he tried to retreat..and yet, that proud head would not bow to him.

By now Daniel should have been cowering before Apophis, pleading for his life and ready to perform any service to protect himself from more pain. But Daniel Jackson would not. The human had made it abundantly clear.before the pain had robbed him of the ability to speak quite so freely.that he would rather die than call Apophis 'master'.

Apophis reached out a hand to force Daniel to meet his gaze. The pain-hazed blue eyes still shone with hatred and bitter defiance.

Apophis smiled. "You will call me your master, Daniel. Now or when you cease to amuse me.when I embed myself in your mind and rip from you everything you have ever known or treasured. Your memories, your friends, the child you hid from me, your world will all be mine."

Apophis was not entirely surprised when Daniel jerked his head away. He was not even particularly angry. Apophis had time. The vengeance he had longed for was within his grasp. He intended to savor it.


Daniel wasn't sure how much longer he could hold on to his resolve. His head felt disjointed. Every inch of his body ached, the myriad pains and bruises fusing into one complete hurt. Daniel hurt and it wasn't solely a physical manifestation..his soul was hurting.

Apophis had used the hand device to implant visions of Sha're, screaming in terror as her body and mind were invaded.fighting Apophis as her own bright spirit emerged, only to flee willingly at the touch of the Goa'uld..sad, so sad, at the loss of her child.

Daniel could barely control the rage he felt for the sake of his dead wife.the suffering she had endured as a prisoner inside her own mind.

Despite Apophis' purpose in showing him those images, Daniel let them fuel the already strong rage he felt toward Apophis. Daniel fought for Sha're as well as himself, his friends.all the things that Apophis would destroy if he took Daniel as a host. Daniel resolved that he would die before allowing it to happen. If there were the slightest chance to kill himself.or push Apophis into going too far.Daniel would take it.


Makepeace was worried. The temple on Delmak was little more than a ruin, the tunnels that would take them to Apophis' palace were dangerously unstable.

Almost as unstable as Jack was becoming. After their little talk on the Teltak, Jack had rallied.forcing a measure of what passed for normalcy with him. But Makepeace could see that the façade was crumbling by slow degrees. The reality of what he might be called upon to do to Daniel was eroding Jack's fragile control.

Makepeace pushed his luck a little more with Jack, suggesting that the two of them should continue through the tunnels alone while Teal'c, Boch and Carter looked for a safer route above ground. Jack had looked at Makepeace for a long minute..clearly understanding what Makepeace was offering.

If they should find Daniel, Makepeace was certain O'Neill could not follow through with what had to be done.he wasn't sure that he could anyway. But at least they wouldn't have an audience for their sin.

Makepeace wasn't a very religious man, but he sent up a quick word to whoever might be listening that Daniel was still okay.and still Daniel.


Back
Back to Stories Page