THE DEVIL TO PAY: Part 11

by:  Jmas and PHO
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net
and phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part Eleven: by PHO

"Are we there yet?" Even the seriousness of the situation could not stifle O'Neill's sarcastic wit.

Aris Boch gave him a sideways glance. "We are approaching the last jump before reaching Kilymar. Why do you ask?"

Jack shrugged. "Tradition." Leaving a confused Aris at the helm, Jack wandered listlessly into the next room. "Ah, Carter, you're looking much more, uhm, military."

Sam had wasted no time in shedding her Goa'uldish attire. She liked finery ... on the right occasions, and in the correct proportions. But dressing for the Goa'uld auction more closely resembled getting ready for a masquerade ball than anything else she could remember. The main difference being, of course, that masquerades were usually fun. Turning, she eyed the Colonel quizzically. "Yes, sir. ... Don't you think you should change?"

"All in good time, Major, all in good time. Anything?"

"Yes, sir. According to tradition, there are two gates on Delmak. One we know is in So..., uh, Apophis' palace. The location of the other is somewhat obscure."

"Sweet. What does that mean?"

"Well, it means that no one is really sure where the gate is hidden. For all we know, we could gate into a desert, a cave, or a frozen wasteland."

"For crying out loud, Major, we've got to know where it will take us. The gate in the palace is guarded. There is no way we can get through it, unless of course we want to go straight to jail without passing 'GO' or collecting two hundred dollars. Where's Teal'c?"

"Meditating."

"Excuse me?"

"He believes that he has identified a passage that may hold the key. Something Bra'tac said a long time ago. He's meditating in hopes that he'll be able to get a handle on it."

"Ya think?"

"Sir, Teal'c's doing his best; the straight translation is no problem, but historical interpretation is not his strong suit. Daniel ..." She froze as she realized what she'd been about to say.

"If Daniel were here, Major, we wouldn't be here, now would we?"

"No, sir."

"Then I suggest..."

"Jack? May I speak with you?" Makepeace spoke calmly from the doorway.

Jack glared at the other Colonel for a moment, before returning his attention to Carter. "Find me something, Major. Soon."

"Yes, sir." Her relieved eyes followed him as he left the room with Makepeace. She knew he was worried about Daniel. Hell, they all were, but this was a side of O'Neill that she'd never seen. Heard about, yes. Seen, no. All business, all military, and cold. As cold as the ice in Antarctica had been when they'd been stranded for several long, lonely days. Startled, she realized that she knew why the Colonel was behaving this way. He wasn't expecting to win this one. He fully expected the Daniel they knew, and loved, to be utterly, irrevocably gone.


Daniel remained steadfastly on the hard bunk as the doors snapped open. Turning his head almost lazily, he glared at Lo'wn, hatred, disgust, and no small amount of fear evident on his handsome face. Still there was that unspoken refusal to surrender. Lo'wn, in turn, was all arrogance. Dark eyes laughed at Daniel's discomfiture, even as he admired the young man's open defiance. That was all right with him. The more the young prisoner struggled against his fate, the more painful it would be, and the more pleasure his master, Apophis, would have in dominating Daniel. "You will rise."

The young scientist turned away, silently ignoring the Jaffa's command. The corners of Lo'wn's lips turned upward, even as he gave a minute twist to a small control on his wrist. Daniel's hands flew upward to the collar that glowed dully on his neck. His breathing shortened as he clawed at the cold metal. Lo'wn held the control in place for a short moment, then released it, allowing it to return to its 'home' location on its own. "You will rise, or the punishment will be increased."

Daniel rose shakily to his feet, his breathing rapidly returning to normal as the memory of the pain faded. Lo'wn stepped quickly forward and snapped chains to his ankles and wrists. Confusion played on Daniel's features as the bracelets were snapped shut. "You don't need these, you have the co..."

His words were choked off by a reapplication of the control, less pain this time, but still... "Another lesson, slave, you have not been given permission to speak." Lo'wn tugged with satisfaction on Daniel's leash. "Come. Your master awaits."


"What is it, Makepeace?" Jack snarled as the Marine walked away from him down the passageway of the ship. "I don't have time for games."

"Then stop playing them, O'Neill." Makepeace stopped by a view port and whirled to face his Air Force counterpart.

"What?"

"You've been in a foul humor since we left Torvahn."

"Excuse me?"

"I said..."

"I heard what you said. What I don't understand is why you think you have the right to comment on my moods, good or bad."

"I have the right, because right now, Colonel, you're a liability." Jack was momentarily robbed of speech so Makepeace continued. "You're jumping down everyone's throat, and I don't think I've ever seen you raise your voice at Carter as much as you have the past couple of days."

"I've got a team member down."

"Not down, O'Neill, missing. Down you could deal with. What you can't deal with is what you'll have to do if Dr. Jackson has been taken as a host."

Jack stared at the other man in amazement. "W..What?"

Makepeace softened his harsh tones. "Jack, I'm not fool. I saw you closeted with Hammond before we left the SGC. I saw your face. As the SG-1 team leader, he gave you first choice. I was probably the second choice."

"Choice for what?" Jack's voice was weak.

"Oh, puh..lease. Can the act, you're not that good. You know as well as I do that Daniel Jackson cannot be allowed to become a host. He simply knows too much about both the SGC and Earth's defenses, such as they are. The fact that Earth defeated Apophis would not have gone unnoticed by the System Lords. I'm quite sure that Apophis never let on that it was SG-1 that took him down. Earth becomes the proverbial sitting duck if Daniel Jackson's knowledge is compromised."

Jack nodded sadly. "When you're right, you're right. God, Robert, do you know?"

"That you're to terminate his life? Yes, it's the only humane thing to do, both for him, and Earth."

"HUMANE? Jesus, he's a man, not a dog."

"No, if you have to carry out that order, he's a Goa'uld."


Daniel barely suppressed a moan as he once again fell to his knees. Lo'wn seemed to be taking a perverse delight in gauging his speed so that Daniel would end up at the limits of his leash. Once there, the First Prime of Apophis would jerk the chains ever so slightly. Not enough to tear sensitive flesh, but enough to bruise his prisoner's wrists and ankles, and occasionally enough to bring him painfully to his knees. And true to form, the young man was allowed very little time to get to his feet again. The palace halls were opulently decorated, as Daniel would have suspected, but he had eyes only for any potential exits. Not that he thought he'd get a chance to escape, but Jack would expect him to know the lay of the land when help arrived.

An unusually strong tug on his leash, caused him to stumble once more, but he managed not to fall. An ornate pair of gold-leafed doors swung slowly open, and he held his breath as he caught sight of the throne room. He released his breath as he came to realize that the chamber was empty. Lo'wn urged him forward and shoved him to his knees, then fastened the chains to a small hook in the center of the floor. Daniel found to his disgust, that he was unable to rise. Lo'wn then backed slowly away from the throne, and disappeared from Daniel's line of sight.

The bruising on his knees caused him to shift his weight in an effort to relieve the pressure. A voice from behind him caused a cold chill to run up his spine. He stiffened involuntarily. "It is a pleasure to see you again, Daniel Jackson."

"Can't say I feel the same way, Apophis."

"That's Master, Daniel Jackson. You do not have the right to speak my name."

"Ah ha." Daniel twisted so that he could get a better view of the Goa'uld Lord. "You'll have to forgive me if I don't get up."

A strong hand twisted Daniel's head cruelly upwards. Apophis knelt to bring his own terribly scarred features in line with Daniel's face. "Amaunet spoke of your sense of humor. Her pathetic little host..."

"Sha're. Her name was Sha're." This open defiance earned the young man a taste of the collar. He was still gasping from the pain, as Apophis continued.

"Her pathetic little host 'told' my queen of your better qualities. We shall enjoy getting to know them, on a personal level."


Back
Back to Stories Page