DAY'S END: Part 16

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 16: Daniel

For all the heaviness in my heart, there's a lesser weight that eases away as Jack looks down at me...reflexively checking my head for fever...

*Janet must've really threatened him.*

I just shake my head at the gesture; as much as it generally bugs me to have Jack playing 'Colonel Mom,' right now it feels pretty good...it feels normal and right and...real.

This is my reality now....

A world without Sha'uri, without that ever-present hope of stepping through that gate back to a life that can never be recaptured...and probably never could have been...

The year I spent on Abydos with Sha'uri was the happiest of my life and that's never going to change. I'll never know what could have been. I'll never know what may have happened if I had been able to save her.

What I do know is that she's gone...

Tears fall from my eyes again and Jack looks at me in concern, his hand open toward me asking the question that he would never have had to ask before...

I nod a little, as I lean into the circle of Jack's arms...a safe place...and finally and completely let go; crying for Sha'uri...my beautiful wife, for Jack...the friend I almost lost, for myself...my own stupidity that almost let it all fall apart, compounding one tragedy with still another....for the loneliness that still aches in my heart and will never find an end....

Jack just holds onto me without a word.

We both know there are no words.

I can feel Jack rocking me gently, hands stroking my back to ease the pain that can never be truly eased, and some distant part of me is aware of tears falling into my hair...

Jack.


Back
Back to Stories Page