Summary: Man, leave Conner and Ellison alone for one night and see what happens. :) Not exactly what you think.


Where Will I Belong ?
Ramblin Rose


"Jim, drive us to the hospital," Dan spat out, "we have to get this baby out soon. Do you hear a heartbeat anymore, Jim?"

"I hear one now," Jim answered, pulling out into traffic. "It's getting a little stronger, Megan. He's getting better."

"Thank God," Megan cried, "Dan, what are the baby's chances of making it born this early?"

"Megan, I'm not going to lie," Dan said, "anytime a baby is born early it is a risk. But they'll do everything possible for him. Try to stay calm." Dan leaned over and kissed her softly and whispered, "I love you so much Megan."

Jim had tears in eyes as he heard these sweet words being said between two people that loved each other as much as he and Blair loved one another. Things had to be all right. He wanted that baby, but he also wanted Megan to be healthy too. Jim sped up, as they got closer to the hospital.

Pulling into the ER, Jim jumped out and went and got a Nurse and a gurney. He told them, "Dr. Dan Wolfe is here with his wife in labor. Problems, the heartbeat stopped for a short time."

They got Megan onto the gurney and rushed her into the ER. Once there they hooked her up to all of the machines to see how the baby was doing. At the same time, Dan asked Jim, "Could you call the doctor and ask him to come down right away? They're going to do an ultrasound soon."

"I already called him," Jim said, "try not to worry, just keep Megan calm."

"I'll try," a very tired Dan said, "and I'll tell her that you and Blair are waiting here to see her. She'll like that too."

The doctor that was doing the ultrasound came into Megan's room and said, "We are going to take some pictures of your baby, Mrs. Wolfe and see how he's doing."

Everyone moved around not really saying too much to Megan and she watched as her sweet husband walked into the room. He went right to her side and bent over and kissed her saying, "Don't worry, we'll all be fine."

She closed her eyes as she tried not to think about anything but how much she loved this dear man.

They were doing the US when the Doctor said, "Well, Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe, I see one thing that might be a small problem."

Both of them looked upset and the doctor said, "I'm sorry, I mean, that it's a little girl, not a little boy as you had all planned for. But things look pretty good. These are her lungs right there; she has a nice set of lungs. Which will come in handy if you have to deliver soon."

Megan and Dan watched the US and smiled as they saw their little girl. Tears were in both their eyes. "Jim, will be thrilled," Dan said, "you know how badly he really wanted a girl. Remember when you first found out?"

Then the alarm went off on the US and the contraction machine that Megan was hooked up to. The doctors all started rushing around and pushing her gurney to the elevator. They told Dan, "Sign the papers, Dr. Wolfe, and then join us in surgery. We have to do an emergency C-section on her right now."

He went to the desk and signed and then went to tell Jim and Blair where they were going, but Jim already was on his way to the elevator to go up to the surgery floor. Blair and Jim both had an arm around Dan in the elevator. They knew that he was scared to death. You could see it on his face. Once they got to the floor, Dan said, "Jim and Blair, thank you for being here and I'll tell you what's going on as soon as I hear the news or see myself."

"Good luck, Dan" Blair called out, "and tell Megan that we'll be here waiting to see her and the baby."

Blair and Jim sat down and began the waiting game. Jim kept listening, but didn't know what exactly what to listen for. The baby's heartbeat would sound a lot different outside of the body than it did inside Megan. First Jim would pace until Blair would ask him to sit down with him. Then Blair would get up and pace until Jim called him over to sit with him. There was an older women waiting in the room with them. She was watching and asked if they were both waiting on their wives to have babies.

"No Ma'am," Jim said, "it's our friend that is having the baby. They are our best friends. We're just here for support."

Blair looked at Jim really strangely and asked in a Sentinel whisper, "What the hell do you mean by that? That is your baby. And I think it would have been nice to hear you talk about her as if she was yours."

"Babe," Jim stated calmly, "we aren't the real parents right now. Dan and Megan are. You know, that my name is going to be on the birth certificate, but for now, it is their moment. It's their baby."

Blair took Jim's hand into his and they just sat and held hands. Once the old woman looked at them with a strange look and Jim tried to pull away from Blair, but Blair held on tighter. Then she smiled and started reading her magazine.

Dan came out of the OR about two hours later beaming. He walked up to Jim and hugged him hard and beat him on the back, saying, "Congratulations, Daddy, it's a little girl. She weighed 5 pounds and is breathing beautifully."

Jim kept hugging Dan, and said, "Congratulations to you too, Dan. I'm so glad they are both all right. Megan is all right, isn't she?"

"She doing fine," Dan said, "she's so happy to see her little girl, you wouldn't believe." Letting go of Jim, he walked over to Blair and gave him just as big a hug and said, "Hey, I didn't forget Pop-pop. Megan was telling her about you in there. I think the people in there think we are a bunch of nut cases, but Megan is thrilled and wait till you see this baby, Blair. She's beautiful."

"Any names picked out for a girl," Blair asked, "I know you were expecting a boy, but looks like there might be a change in plans wouldn't you say?"

"Well, Megan wants to talk to Jim about that," he stated, "and hopefully she and Jim can come to an agreement before this baby is one year old."

They all three started laughing. They went down to the nursery and they wheeled the baby bed over to the window and Jim got his first look at his little girl. She was more than beautiful; she was exquisite.


Where Will I Belong 7?

Patt's Index