Summary: Man, leave Conner and Ellison alone for one night and see what happens. :) Not exactly what you think.


Where Will I Belong ?
Ramblin Rose


Things were moving along nicely for Megan and Dan Wolfe. They made a great couple and Megan found herself more in love with him each month. As she started into her seventh month, she thought maybe she would scare Dan off. Between being bitchy and huge, she didn't think he would stick around. But he didn't seem to mind.

Work was going well, but Dan had asked her to go on desk duty or the likes until after the baby was born. He was worried about her and didn't want anything happening to her. She wasn't really happy on desk duty, but at least now her ankles didn't seem to swell so much. She was really getting so damn fat. But she forgot about that because at that moment Dan walked into the bullpen and smiled at her with that smile and she melted. She realized that she wasn't any fatter than any other pregnant woman.

There was no need for Megan to move into their loft, because she and Dan rented the loft next door to them. Right across the hall. They did it so they'd always have someone to watch this baby. They didn't want to be too close, but at the same time wanted to be close enough in case of an emergency. Between the four of them, they might be able to handle one baby.

Things were going so well for all of them. Every week, Jim and Blair stopped over to their apartment and dropped off more new things. Megan said, "Jim, this baby is going to be so damned spoiled when he finally gets here. He has enough clothing for ten years."

Blair started laughing and said, "I told him that, Megan, but would he listen? No."

Megan laughed and said, "Blair, you don't have any room to talk, I swear this baby has more books than any child could ever need, want or desire."

Dan laughed at all of them and said, "Well, thank god, I was the sane one that went for silly things like baby furniture and things like that."

They had all become great friends, knowing that things had to be very close and friendly to raise a child between them. Things were going to work out just fine.

Lying in bed one night, Jim said to Blair, "Do you think we should have a say in naming the baby? Or do you think that is out of out control? I just don't want her naming that baby something dumb."

Blair smiled and said, "Why don't you ask her tomorrow and we'll see where it goes. I'm sure she might let us help with at least the middle name. Don't worry about it."

The phone rang and Jim picked it up, saying, "Ellison."

Dan was on the line saying, "Jim, could you come over, Megan thinks that something is wrong with the baby and for some reason she says that you'd know for sure if he was okay."

Jim said, "We'll be there in a second." Jumping up from bed, he said, something might be wrong, Megan is asking for us. Seems to think there might be problems with the baby."

They both dressed in record time and flew down the stairs and out the door and across the hall and knocked on the door. They both could hear Megan crying as they walked into their loft. Jim walked over and said, "Megan, what's going on? What is happening that's scaring you so badly?"

She grabbed Jim's hands and said, "Feel, something is wrong, I can tell. Tell me what you feel and hear. Please."

Jim put his hands on her belly and they he concentrated with his senses and he heard the baby's heartbeat and he could feel it moving around. He rubbed her stomach and the baby seemed to be calming down. Just as quickly as she panicked, she calmed down and started falling asleep.

Dan motioned for them to follow him to the living room and he said to Jim, "Okay, what the hell is that all about? And why did she calm down so easily after you touched her belly? She kept saying that this baby must need his daddy and kept crying saying that he knew you weren't here."

Jim said, "Dan I need you to sit down and listen to me for awhile. I'm going to tell you all about the Sentinel legends that Blair did his studies on. I'm one of them. And perhaps the baby is too. As soon as I rubbed her belly and talked to her stomach, the baby stopped flipping around and causing the pain to Megan. So she must think it has something to do with that too."

Dan said, "So Blair, you didn't fake your research at all. Jim really is one?"

Blair answered, "Dan, I hope you know that we can't tell anyone about this."

Dan smiled when he said, "I feel better now. I thought she didn't want me to be the step daddy. She kept saying don't touch him, he's confused."

Jim said, "How far along is she, Dan?"

"Seven months." Dan answered.

"Well, Dan, I think you should check on her," Jim said, "She seemed like she was having contractions. I don't think she knows what they are. But it seemed like contractions to me." Just then, they heard Megan calling out for Jim.

They all went running and Dan checked her and said, "Yes, she is in active labor and unless we want to deliver this baby ourselves. We had better get her to the hospital."

Megan said, "Dan, will you drive so Jim can talk to him. That might slow him down a little bit. He knows his daddy's voice."

So Dan and Blair climbed into the front seat and Jim was in the back with Megan. He was rubbing her stomach and talking to the baby. "Megan," he said, "do you have a name chosen for him yet? I think it would help if we didn't just call him baby, or the baby."

Megan said, "We were thinking about Grant or Jude. Jim said, "I really like Grant. Is he going to have my last name?" And Megan said, "Well of course he is, Jim. Grant Ellison, what do you think of that."

Blair looked over at Dan with a very worried look on his face. And Dan met that look with tears in his eyes. Blair new it was too soon for the baby to come. But they let Megan and Jim have this time with Grant.

As Jim was rubbing her belly, he could hear the baby's heartbeat slowing down and he had tears rolling down his cheeks. Megan watched him and said, "Oh please Jim, don't tell me that he's dying. Please don't let him."

Then Jim leaned down and put his face on her belly and cried hard. She knew that the heartbeat was gone. There would be no other reason for him to cry like that.

Dan said, "Jim get her on her left side and see if you can get the baby to move a little bit. The cord could be wrapped around his neck." Dan pulled the car over and got out and ran to the back seat and got in and Jim moved so that Dan had room. He stuck his hand into Megan to try to feel if the baby needed to move or if the cord was stuck.


Where Will I Belong 6?

Patt's Index