There are four basic animated web ads available on Realm, all of which may be downloaded and used at your discretion. I only ask that you do not modify them in any way. (Contact me if you need alterations.)

Each of the four versions has its own page (view all versions), but you can get to all of the files from the master list below.

Need a link for your ad? Try one of the ad pages.

Flyers are here, finally! Please see the section near the end of this page about printing the flyers.

 
The four ads

Hero for a new millennium

view all versions

hero_static.jpg 44kb
hero_anime_small.gif 50kb
hero_anime_large.gif 231kb

This montage ad tries to capture the feel of The Sentinel, coupling it with the slogan 'a hero for a new millennium.' Somewhat corny, I know, but it works.

The larege animated gif has spiffy fades, but the filesize is so large it probably isn't worth putting on your site unless you know you have a fast web server and you don't mind slowing down your visitors. I created a simpler animated gif as well, though the static jpg has the smallest filesize. These are the biggest web files.

100% SciFi

view all versions

100_static.gif 16kb
100_anime.gif 6.5kb

My favorite ad. It attempts to link The Sentinel with its new home, the SciFi Channel. I don't know where the slogan came from—it came out during one of my brainstorming attempts, but I have this nagging suspicion that the "100% SciFi" phrase is a legit SciFi Channel creation. If so, great minds think alike.

Because it is a less complicated image, the static ad is much smaller than "Hero," and the animated ad is smaller yet!

There is no flyer version for this ad either, for the same reason as "Hero," above. However, I am working with some people to get permission to use an image of Jim, so a flyer is possible in the future. Keep your fingers crossed.

5 Senses

view all versions

5senses_anime.gif 7.3kb
5_senses.pdf 93kb

No series of ads for The Sentinel would be complete without mentioning his heightened senses, and this ad slickly pairs icons for the five senes with the slogan "5 heightened senses and a badge." This derives from the UPN television teasers that used "5 heightened senses, one super cop"—I think mine is better. More hard-edged, I suppose, but "super cop" sounds stupid. (Apologies to Jackie Chan.)

The ad follows the futuristic techno feel of the SciFi Channel's self-promotions. It may not be suitable for all audiences. That sounds like a V-chip warning; what I mean is, if you're looking for a flyer to drop ar your local aromatherapy purveyor, this might not be the best choice.

Superheroes

view all versions

super_anime.gif 9.7kb

super_full.pdf 55kb
super_half.pdf 378kb


A humorous ad, and thus a bit more obscure—this ad is for a targeted audience who will understand and appreciate the references. Again, probably not suitable for the local aromatherapy shoppe. But it would do well in comic stores, bookstores with a scifi bent, and certainly at cons.

This ad also began as a flyer, though I think the animated gif is a good choice as well. Lettersize and half-lettersize versions are available in separate files.

How to use the ads
Web ads

You can download any of the web ads and place them on your website. You don't have to ask permission, or even let me know. But if you want to be notified of any changes to the ads, you should send me your email address and the URL where the ad is placed (if you are using a Realm ad). I will only use these email addresses for Realm business; they will not be made available to anyone without your permission. You can email me at sentinel@squidge.org, and make sure you put 'Realm' somewhere in the subject line.

Grabbing copies off the web is simple; most browsers allow you to move your mouse over the file/graphic, hold down the mouse button, and select 'save as' from the pop-up menu. You don't have to be viewing the graphic to do this: holding the mouse button down over a link to a file will also allow you to 'save as.'

You can link the web ads to a site, or you can simply display them. Some suggestions for linking are the SOS site, a nice-looking fan page with high quality information, or an "ad" page. One ad page is the opening of Realm. I designed six others.

Ad pages:

100% Hero
static (www.squidge.org/sentinel/100_s.html)
animated (www.squidge.org/sentinel/100_a.html)

Hero for a new millennium
static (www.squidge.org/sentinel/hero_s.html)
animated (www.squidge.org/sentinel/hero_a.html)

5 Senses
animated (www.squidge.org/sentinel/5senses.html)

Superheroes
animated (www.squidge.org/sentinel/superheroes.html)

 

PDF files for flyers

Flyers are here!

It's been a long wait for some of you, but I finally decided to cut loose from the people who asked me to do them. Yahoo!

If you want to print flyers, you must download the pdf (portable document format/file) version. Do not try to print gifs that appear on the website—the gif file format was not designed for printing and it will look terrible.

The pdf format was designed for true, reliable cross-platform viewing and printing. You don't have to worry about having the right fonts installed, and you don't have to worry that you're prining from a PC and the file was created on a PC. And pdf files are often smaller than their word-processing cousins.

To view and print the pdf files, you must have Adobe's Acrobat Reader. Reader is free, and comes with every Adobe product (and sometimes others), so check your program CDs. Or, you can download Reader from Adobe's website:

www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html

The Acrobat Reader has been around for many years and is extremely stable, so don't worry about it screwing up your system. It is available in all three flavors (Mac, Windoze, unix) and is extremely cool. There's also a (free) plugin that allows you to view pdf files directly from your browser.

And it's free!

All of the flyers are scaled to US lettersize, 8.5 in x 11 in. If you need another size (legal, UK, Australian, etc.) please contact me (sentinel@squidge.org) and we'll work something out.

 

Who am I?

I don't like websites with unknown authors/maintainers, so I had better 'fess up. I'm Maeg, known on some Sentinel mailing lists and the 852 Prospect archive under chaomath. You can contact me at (sentinel@squidge.org). I do web design and general graphical design professionally; thus these ads.

My fandom site is www.mcs.net/~chaomath/fandom and contains some of my Sentinel art and floorplans of the loft. I also run Focus, a Sentinel fanfiction review (which I must admit is currently dead in the water). Nolly Publishing is my fandom 'dead trees' publishing (as opposed to electronic publishing).

A plaintext version of the "how to" section is available.

hero | 100% | 5 senses | superheroes | Realm

 

SEE IT ALL FROM THE BEGINNING.
AFTERNOONS ON THE SCIFI CHANNEL.