Go to notes and disclaimers


Take Me Away
by Wax Jism


This feels so... good, so funky, to do it like this, in a place where nobody knows his name. To just abandon reason. The notebook is black, as should be, empty so far, but brimming with promise. Alex Krycek turns it over in his hands, his eyes going just a little blank, oh, but for a second, of course. This is a man known not for introspection, but for action. He bases his decisions mostly on the kind of unerring intuition that is so prized by his employers. Sometimes cold calculation plays a part. But to look into his own heart... to analyze. No, that is not a trait Krycek has found reason to nourish through the years. Still, tonight, in this dingy roadside bar, on his way to yet another mission to destroy life and bring new suffering into the world, holding this crisp, new notebook, he feels an unaccustomed need to get to know himself. To pour down a lifetime's worth of hardship and violence onto these shiny blank pages. It is probably not a good idea, considering what he has done, what he is still doing. His justification will probably crumble at any deeper introspection.

He looks at the notebook again and thinks about what it means, this new need. Then his eyes fall on the unassuming manila folder beside the notebook. The casefile for the werewolf boy. Krycek's resolve melts in the space of a heartbeat. In the face of another life on the precipice of destruction there is no place for soulful contemplation. His efficiency lies in his talent for self-deception. He is no so stupid, not so callous that he can't see what he is doing. However, he can justify a lot simply by denying any emotion, by positioning himself clear of humanity. He is both more and less than a man. He needs to keep it that way.

Without looking back at the notebook he leaves on the table, Krycek exits the bar.

Now, the matter at hand. His mission, which he, having no real choice in the matter, already has accepted, is to apprehend and deliver, in one piece and alive, to his superiors, one small town high school boy believed to be, of all things possible and less so, a werewolf. Krycek doesn't know who has found this kid, and doesn't much care either. This isn't the sort of thing he would take an interest in. He has only the vaguest idea of what will happen to the unfortunate lycantrope once delivered. He's done this before, captured fresh-faced teenagers alive. Sometimes he sees them again. Some he has dug shallow desert graves for, some he has worked with after they have become empty-eyed spooks like him.

Sitting in his parked car he opens the manila folder. They boy's face glares accusingly at him from a glossy school photo. Red, spiky hair, sharp grey eyes, a broad mouth with a wry twist. Not an innocent, oblivious face, this. Krycek imagines this boy to be someone who has felt the butt-end of God's sense of humor. Someone who gets the joke. He envies the imaginary boy. He was never so astute that he could accept the world as a joke. As a child, he was wide-eyed, as a teenager corrupt but clueless. As a man... well, he finally sees the world for what it is, but it brings him no solace. He has no time for reveling in that great, cosmic irony. He has a job to do. Wasted time... wasted life.

He shrugs the thought off his shoulders and gets the fuck outta Dodge. The car isn't his, just some generic piece of Japanese crap they've handed him, but he pushes it for everything it's got. Using speeding as a means to forget is pretty juvenile, he supposes, but fuck that. The sight of the blacktop disappearing under the hood as the needle grazes 100 mph is exhilarating in its simplicity. He stops thinking about the boy's knowing face. He even forgets his ever-present employers. Maybe he could just keep going like this. Maybe find a canyon and just do a Thelma and Louise. Fly into infinity. Stop in a freeze-frame. But real life doesn't provide a handy pause-button. There would be an impact sooner or later. Fire... death. He is a bringer of death, but not for himself. He wants to live, even if life is little more than mere survival. He is not a happy man, far fly even from content, but he is alive. Which is more than you can say about a lot of the sad fucks he has collided with in his life.

Empty desert around him. So many unmarked graves out here. So many dirty secrets, big and small, national and personal. Quite a few of Krycek's own secrets lie buried out here, under the blank, indifferent Nevada sky.

He is only a few hours from the California border. He'll be in Sunnydale before dawn.

He parks his car in an alley and settles in to get some sleep. It's five-thirty, Sunday morning, and Sunnydale is a ghost town. He will wake himself around noon and go looking for his prey. He's checked the calendar, and full moon's a safe eight days off. He's got the boy's home address, plus that of his girlfriend, best friend and, for some reason Krycek can't make out, the high school librarian.

The kid doesn't come out of his house until after seven pm, and even then he looks tired and sleep-mussed. Krycek watches the late sleeper from his stakeout point across the street. The boy gets into his ridiculous, zebra-striped van and drives off. Krycek follows, keeping his distance. The emptiness of the streets is starting to get on his frayed nerves. There is something positively ominous about the silence, a note of fear in the curtained windows. No cars around except the boy's van and Krycek's grey non-entity of a Nissan. There is no way the kid won't notice him following if he gets closer than a block. And just where is he going? They are driving in circles around the town's tiny downtown area, up alleys, down alleys, backtracking. It's not an attempt at shaking a tail; the van never goes beyond 30 mph. It's like... patrolling. Looking for something.

Finally, the van pulls up to the curb and stops. And there is life there, a slight, blonde girl approaching. Krycek checks his file. Not the girlfriend, at least. She's a redhead with a sweet, open face. This is something else entirely, a little Valkyrie in black tights. Confidence showing in her step, the cockiness of her posture, that no-bullshit tilt to the head. A face that is both sultry and childlike. Tiny, bird-boned, but powerful in a way that defies clear definition.

Then she glances in his direction and Krycek knows she knows. Oh, she's fast. Cheetah-fast. In the blink of an eye, she's by his door, staring at him through the window. He considers flooring it, but thinks again. Better play this cool, see what she has to say. He rolls down his window. Her eyes are chilly, opaque.

"Hi", she says, smiling a sunny and utterly fake smile.

"Hi", he replies, keeping his face neutral, but allowing the possibility of a smile appear.

"So, who are you?" she goes on. "Another hunter? In with the mayor, maybe? Or just a government spook?"

"Uh... a spook", he says, fairly truthfully. He realises he will have to do it now, right here in the middle of the street. The werewolf boy is right behind the girl, apprehensive but not afraid.

"What do you want?" the boy asks. His hair isn't red as in the picture; it's dyed jet black with patches of electric blue. Ridiculous, like his van. Black nail polish, too. Small town kid with a little bit of attitude, indeed. Krycek stares at him until he turns his eyes down.

"You", Krycek says evenly. He gets out of the car with studied grace. Notices how the girl, despite her apparent frailness, gets in between, her hands up in a fighting stance.

"Uh-huh, Mr G-man", she snarls cockily. He keeps a hand in his coat pocket, not with a gun, but with a small ampulla. It would seem like overkill to down a teenage girl with barbiturates, but he can see the fearless threat in her face. She isn't afraid of him, and the only way a young woman won't be afraid of a strong, obviously threatening man is if she's got one up on him.

And that she has. Her punch is like a snakebite, her follow-up kick even faster. Strong, too. Krycek knows almost immediately that she could, given the opportunity and just a little luck, kill him. He chooses not to give her the chance. The ampulla with its tiny needle is in his hand, and he gets her in the shin when she is aiming for his right kidney. The stuff is strong, hopefully not too strong, and she's down within five seconds.

The werewolf boy understands what just happened and makes a futile rush for his car. He is, as opposed to his friend, no match for Krycek. A quick strike to the back of the head and he crumples to the concrete. Krycek shrugs in mild dismay. Fighting children in broad daylight. Hardly his usual deal.

He carries the girl to the van and stashes her in the back. She'll wake up with a headache sometimes tomorrow. Alas, so will Krycek. In fact, he's got aches a little here and there. She did not fight like a child. Rubbing his side where he'll surely sport bruises, he goes to grab the boy and be gone from this place.


They are well outside town when the young werewolf finally comes to. Krycek has been feeling just a little pinch of concern that he might have clipped the kid too hard. The file helpfully stated that werewolves can't be killed the usual way, but the boy had gone down so completely... well, no worries, here he is again, cuffed and gagged, alive and ready to serve. He doesn't fight his restraints, doesn't try to scream through the gag, only watches Krycek with eerie calm.

Krycek pulls over—they're already in the outskirts of the desert and the road is empty under darkening skies— and goes around to remove the gag. The boy stays silent.

"How are you feeling?" Krycek asks, hoping he hasn't caused any unnecessary brain damage in his prize. The kid shrugs, managing to look cool even in his trussed state.

"What do you want with me", he asks coldly.

"I'm going to turn you over to some people who want you. I haven't been informed of their plans." This is technically true, but of course he knows anyway. There really is only one thing They would want a werewolf for. The very same thing they keep men like Krycek himself on their payroll for—murder and mayhem. The boy's unthreatening size and cute-quirky face make him a perfect plant. If there werewolf thing holds true, of course. If it doesn't, the kid is worthless.

"Are you a werewolf?" Krycek asks, keeping a straight face. "Because if you aren't, it would be a lot better for you if I just killed you on the spot."

The boy turns away, not deigning to answer, but his calm in the face of such a preposterous question is answer enough.

Krycek gets back in the car and hits the road again. There is some Holiday Inn room in Nevada with their names on it.


Maybe an hour of driving through dark, unchanging desert before the boy loses his cool and speaks.

"What did you do to Buffy?" he asks, and is there the tiniest tremble in that mellow voice? Krycek is of the opinion there is.

"Your high-kicking friend? She'll be okay. I had to give her a sedative, or we would have been there all day. Perhaps not what you'd call a fair fight, but then she wasn't exactly what she seemed. Maybe my employers should have apprehended her instead of you."

"She wouldn't be any use to them. She isn't the servile type", the boy snorts, his composure regained.

"And you are?" This is only rewarded with a shrug. "You are a cold fish, boy. Been through a little more than your average high school senior?"

"You could say that."

"Your file says you took a bullet for your girlfriend. Self-sacrificing type, then?"

"There are things worth dying for. I wouldn't expect a man like you to understand." Now, that stings. Krycek knows the boy is right, of course. He has long ago deserted any noble principles he might have harbored. Round about the first time he found himself sucking a stranger's cock for just a few rubles more that he would pay for a loaf of bread, he thinks.

"Where are you taking me?" the kid asks.

"Not sure. I'll be informed in time."

"How can they do this? Who the hell are they? What do they want with me?" For the first time, Krycek hears fear in the boy's voice. He searches for some kind of answer.

"Let's just say they're a small group of megalomaniacal geriatrics who have gotten so used to having power over people that they can't stop even when their little project has become an excercise in futility. I'm pretty close to the core, but I'm still just the busboy. You're nothing; you're an interesting experiment. You have the potential to become something like me, perhaps, possibly more, but most likely is that they'll find you too damn dangerous and lock you in a lab cage with the monkeys for the rest of your natural life. That is if they don't have you put down like a rabid dog." Here Krycek has to stop to draw breath, and he realises that he has delivered a speech. A rant, in fact. And with that epiphany comes another. He has no intention whatsoever of turning this boy over to any Morley-puffing sadist. There is no explanation for this decision as of yet. Krycek lets the car pick up a little speed... and then some, trying perhaps to outrun his own foolishness, this unaccustomed sentimentality that will surely get him killed. The night rushes past, but it refuses to take with it any of this inexplicable resolve. Thelma and Louise, eternally hovering over their canyon, flash before Krycek's eyes again. Oh, no. Not that. That would be quite unnecessary.

"Are we in a hurry?" The boy's voice is calm again, dry. Oh, and is that sarcasm? A cold fish. That fear Krycek caught earlier... it might have been faked. Or just a crack in the armor. Whatever it was, it's gone now, and the boy's eyes are shallow pools of muddy water. Krycek reflects that this kid could be an excellent agent. Just the right blank-faced stare, those tightly shackled emotions. Maybe I could use an apprentice. Maybe I could use a companion.

Now he has to drive just that little bit faster to shake that little nugget of wisdom. It is thankfully swept out of his head, torn loose, out of the window and there it goes, flapping into the night, spinning around the desert in a herd of other likewise righteously abandoned abortive attempts at instilling humanity in the shuttered and bolted heart of that mad bad rat bastard Alex Krycek. Losing it. This is looking grim. But then again, things have been looking pretty much uniformly grim ever since he first hit the Moscow streets age thirteen. He shoots the silent boy a heated glance, suddenly resentful of the kid's chances. This well-fed, all-American boy has never known real hunger. Would he understand Krycek's motivation even if they spat him in the face? Probably not. This desperate need for survival that comes not so much from any particular lust for life, but simply from the fact that one is loath to give up something paid for so dearly.

Well, now this line of thought is giving him the shivers. He slows down a little, and they are no longer in hyperspace. Krycek has other ways of emptying his mind of unwanted guests. Think about something else. The lights of some little shithole wide spot in the road up ahead. A Holiday Inn. Gas Food Lodging. How very convenient. He is suddenly exhausted. His captive is perfectly still, slumped in his seat. His eyes are hooded, distant. No one home.


Krycek pulls into the Holiday Inn lot. He briefly considers leaving the boy in the car while he gets the room, but immediately scraps that. Instead, he cuffs the kid's right hand to his own left, and pulls down their coat sleeves to cover the steel.

"Now you hold my hand. Of course, it goes without saying that I'll kill anyone you try to talk to."

"Of course." The boy, stonefaced, slips his child-sized hand into Krycek's.

Safely in their squalid but relatively clean room, Krycek shackles his impassive prisoner to a chair and indulges in a long, well-deserved shower. He comes out of it refreshed, calm and feeling uncharacteristically magnanimous. He uncuffs the boy.

"You can use the bathroom if you want to. I will take the liberty of watching, though, so for your sake I hope you're not too much of a prude." There was no reply, not even a scathing glance. The boy, the very image of cool, simply marches to the small bathroom and starts shucking his clothes. Krycek sits down on the toilet seat, keeping his eyes carefully on the boy. Not beneath him to take a good look other than for security reasons, either. This is, after all, a fairly strapping lad, in a not-too-obvious way. Not quite as frail as he looks fully clothed, not by half. Pale, translucent skin of the true redhead. Hard, flat muscle. Not an ounce of fat anywhere. Werewolves probably don't get a chance to accumulate any puppy-flab. Smooth, hairless chest, ribs showing like faint striations under the taut skin. Nipples small, dark pink. A truly delightful ass.

Krycek catches himself. This isn't the fucking swimsuit round. And now he feels eyes upon himself, and it's the kid of course, not so impassive now—more clearly calculating, appraising. Working things out. Krycek almost blushes, like a girl caught peeping at the top-shelf magazines in the K-mart. The boy's eyes show just a shadow of contempt, and Krycek suddenly gets it. The kid has started to suspect his intentions. Thinking maybe that conspiracy thing is nothing but a smoke screen for a perv to green to get on with it. Oh, Christ. Sure, the kid is pretty enough. And in the size of jailbait, to boot. No doubt he's heard his share of propositions.

Krycek's mouth curls into a helpless grin. He is this fucking close to giggling. The kid frowns, trying to get this unexpected reaction.

"What?" he finally says, exasperated. Krycek puts a lid on his effervescent mirth.

"You thought I was going to jump your bones right then, didn't you? I found that rather amusing." A brief flash of... something in those storm cloud-colored eyes. Ah, emotion, how rare.

"Well, you were ogling me like the wolf meeting Little Red Riding Hood."

"But you're the only wolf in here. Not saying that I don't appreciate the view, but rape isn't included in my job description." Not this time, anyway, he concedes to himself. But this young stud needen't know that.

The boy looks calculating again.

"Would it help my situation at all if it did?" he asks. Krycek is momentarily stunned. He had figured this kid to be the proud unrelenting kind, and now this. Spoken like a true slut. A survivor. Someone just like Krycek himself. No one you could ever trust, but a kindred spirit nevertheless.

"Of course not. You can't buy me when you don't even know who to bargain with. I am the bow, not the hunter. But thanks graciously for the offer anyway. Maybe there's hope for you in this cold, old world."

Krycek lets his mind wander free as he watches the boy shower, enjoying the view idly, without allowing himself to be aroused by the sight of those thin hands on soapy, slick skin. For a moment, something approaching contentment calms his nerves. One moment. No demands, no desires. Just the steamy room, the calm and collected boy. Hovering over the Grand Canyon. A cocoon of peace, the eye of the storm.

Then his cell phone goes off with its annoying, ill-biding bleat. 'Pierc'd the fearful hollow of thine ear'. Fleeting line. Old man Shakespeare has a quote for every occasion. Get a fucking grip.

Anonymous, robot-emotionless voice. Hang on, we're getting a trace. On their way already. Do or die. End game for the exquisite creature in the shower. A blink of worry in grey eyes.

And Krycek knows fear, knows desperation. Cold urgency. What is wrong with me? The boy... that boy. Ridiculous hair, chipped black nail polish. Steam swirling; soap suds and flawless skin over sleek muscle. Pretty, rounded ass. Face almost oriental in its blank immobility.

Treacherous fingers switch off the phone. Grab the boy, make him move. Flee. And this is truly rebellion. Going AWOL. Betrayal? They have left him dangling so many times the word is empty now. A man like him trusts no one, and with all reason. Helps no one. So what is this man doing, dragging his hapless, half-clothed prisoner soaking wet into the night, to the waiting car? No questions, no protests. Fuck the cuffs, we're gone.

And the desert again, blackness. The phone out the window and still no second thoughts. Just let the night rush in, swallow us whole, kidnapper turned savior, victim turned accomplish, but they don't know that yet, won't acknowledge the preposterous idea. Won't. Can't.

I'll change my mind any minute now, he still thinks. After all, self-deception is his most valuable trait. Faster. Where to go? This country isn't big enough. Nowhere to hide from Their tentacles. Home. Safehouse. Is there anywhere to take this lost boy, uprooted now and forever from his strange Californian backwater home with all the finality of death. To save a life is to be responsible for it. Even this wild-eyed, irrational man knows that. So what is he doing, speeding through gentle night with this stolen life next to him? Stupid, stupid. The end of his life. He doesn't know himself anymore.

"Where are you taking me?" the boy asks. A little chill of deja vu there.

"Shut the fuck up", Krycek growls crudely, not trusting himself to really speak. The boy is silenced. After a while, Krycek relents.

"Do you want to be saved?" Let none of those caleidoscope emotions shine through. The boy raises an elegant, auburn eyebrow.

"Are you selling Jesus?"

"You can't have your life back, that's beyond me. But I can give you a chance to survive. Just a chance."

"What are you doing?" Sharp, this boy. Asks the right questions.

"Committing suicide, from the look of it. And the taste. But the smell, kid. Smells like freedom."

"Why me?"

"Fuck should I know. Call it fate. Call it fucking insanity."

"I'm not calling it anything until I hear some sort of game plan. I'm looking hard at the picture here, but it's a Mondrian. All style and no content."

"Look closer, kid. It's more like a Munch. All emotion and no reason."

"I hear you. So you analyze. I don't have the Cliff's Notes on this one."

"I can drop you off, let you run. But then I might as well put a silver bullet in your brain. They'll come after you; you're a loose end now. So am I, but I've been on the run before. You won't last a day."

"Maybe you're underestimating me."

"Maybe you're underestimating them."

"So it's a Terminator type situation, then?"

"Hmm?"

"'He feels no pain, no pity, no remorse. And he absolutely will not stop until you are dead'..?"

"That's right."

"So, I'm Sarah Connor, you're Reese, and we'll have one night of life-altering passion before you kindly die for me and I go off the walls and join some Nicaraguan terrorists. Sounds good to me. Sounds like bullshit, actually."

"Yes it does. I haven't made a habit out of dying for anyone, especially not smart-mouthed Californian brats with painted nails."

"Gracious. And I thought it was the In thing right now. Don't get me wrong here, but it seems you have abandoned the script pretty late into the shoot. Ad-lib is the word, right? You just did a one-eighty. A Thelma and Louise, even." Jesus, time to put a lid on this nonsense.

"Watch your mouth, kid, or I will run us off a cliff. And let's drop the pop-culture references."

"Right. Just you, me, and the open road, then. You make the call. I'm not really clear on my options."

"Let's see, I might manage a Terminator soundbite of my own. 'Come with me if you want to live'. How's that?"

"Spoken like a true geek. You're full of surprises, Mr Secret Agent Man."

"This is not the place for glib."

"No, but I'm just a little bit petrified, and I buckle under pressure and start sprouting nonsense. No, wait... that's not me. I'm the cool one."

"You are sprouting nonsense."

"I know. It's... alarming."

"This is something of an alarming situation."

"How bad is it?"

"Well, if we keep a low profile, they might give up on us in a few years."

"So the Terminator analogy is just a smoke-screen?"

"No. They'll probably find us. We'll be little piles of dirt under someone's chicken house."

"Oh."

No smart-aleck response. Nothing more to add. Just the road in front of the car, the black, star-studded sky above. The boy curls up in his seat and promptly falls asleep. Krycek is alone with these new fears he is discovering. He finds himself wishing he had gotten this strange new weakness out of his system and into the blackbound notebook. Now it is too late for regrets. So what is he now? A better person for this small mercy, this one life he has attempted to save? What is he giving up? And empty life for one filled with new insecurities? What does he hope will come of this? He can't find his motive for doing this. The boy? Just another victim. Nothing he hasn't witnessed before.

I should find that canyon now. This isn't me, so better to be done with it. Take him with me to hell.

But that is a thought even more alien to him than the notion of selflessness. Alex Krycek doesn't say Uncle. The steel in him is still there, the spiky ball of a mine in oily water.

Is there a chance here? He looks at the still form of the boy, a still-nameless presence in the lonely, bitter existence of the street walker-turned-assassin. A chance, surely.

He reaches out and shakes the boy awake. Sleepy storm cloud eyes. Acceptance.

"...huh..?"

"What's your name?" He has the file, but he never saw a name.

"Oz." Ridiculous. But perfect.

"I'm Alex."

Time for a shot of our heroes rushing off into the rising sun, the desert the only witness.

xx

Part Two

wax_jism@yahoo.com

Rating: NC-17.
Pairing: K/Oz
Summary: A crossover with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Disclaimer: Alex Krycek belongs to Chris Carter (or so they tell me) and Fox. Oz and everything Slayer answer to Joss Whedon. And all that. Don't sue, because as you can see they just popped out for some down and dirty, decidedly unsafe sex.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]