Go to notes and disclaimers

Cover art by Gayle


Walking The Razor's Edge
by Tarlan



There is so much a man can tell you
So much he can say
You remain my Power, my Pleasure, my Pain
To me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny
Won't you tell me is that healthy, baby.
—"Kiss from a Rose" by Seal

22:30 hours
New York

The lights in the underground parking lot barely kept the shadows at bay but, at this time of night, there was little reason to want light. Even the most conscientious had long since left for their homes after a long day's work in the City. This left the lot deserted except for one dark-coloured sedan. It was parked in the middle of the row, opposite the bank of elevators which led from the building above. The headlights were off and the engine silent except for an occasional tick as warm metal gradually cooled. At first sight the car seemed empty but the small red-light that flared sporadically attested to the presence of at least one occupant.

The Cigarette-Smoking Man sat in the back seat and waited patiently, eyes focussed on the elevator doors ahead. He lit another cigarette, his ever present trademark and took a deep drag, filling his lungs with the carcinogenic yet, for him, life enhancing nicotine and tar. He stifled the urge to cough although that became more difficult with each passing week. Already he spent far too many precious minutes hacking up his lungs in the mornings as he fumbled for that first exquisite drag of the day.

Someone once told him he ought to quit—for the sake of his health—but he had been a young man then and had not expected to live as long as he had. An occupational hazard. His cruel, seamed mouth lifted sardonically in one corner. He'd expected a bullet, a knife, something... anything... and had not been disappointed except that he had survived; survived to fall victim to the invisible killer that was eating his lungs: Cancer. Even the alien's could do little for him despite their incredible powers.

An expression of regret crossed his face. He should have heeded that warning but before he could sink deeper into those dark, self-pitying thoughts the elevator door opened casting a dim light across the lot that almost reached the silent car. A tall, thin figure approached cautiously, the man's head swivelling first one way then the other as he checked out the lot for any sign of impending danger. Once certain, he reached down and pulled open the car door. The Smoker glanced sideways as a man in his mid forties flopped into the seat next to him, light reflecting off the gold lucky charm hanging from a bracelet around his thin, hairy wrist. He took another drag from the half-smoked cigarette, flicking an imaginary piece of ash from the sleeve of his expensive suit while he waited for the man to settle but his patience quickly wore thin when the man remained silent beside him.

"Well?"

Dark eyes, gleaming in the dim interior, turned towards him and the Smoker could easily read the barely restrained insanity firing within their depths. The reedy voice seemed shrill and discordant, jarring the fuzzy atmosphere formed by the soft glow of lights from the parking lot and from the comforting silence that had descended during the short wait. A smile of animal pleasure was pasted to the pock-marked face; an inner glee bubbling through the seemingly mundane words he uttered.

"We located the laboratory."

"And?"

"He'd been there."

The Cigarette-Smoking Man leant forward and savagely ground out the remainder of the Morley in the metal base of the ashtray. 'Been there' meant he was there no longer. The gleeful smile dropped from the thin, weasel face and the man flicked lank, greasy hair back from his forehead nervously as he registered the barely concealed frustration and anger in the other. This was not the news his employer wanted to hear. He continued a little more subdued.

"We interrogated a few of the remaining technicians. I think you'll be pleased to know that he is both alive... and whole."

His employer looked up sharply, staring straight ahead through the windscreen into the semi-darkness beyond. He reached inside his suit jacket and removed the pack of Morley's, shook a fresh stick from the packet and placed it between his seamed lips. Light flared within the car illuminating the Smoker, casting deep shadows across his ageing flesh. A smile curved upwards with the first drag which could easily be mistaken for the hedonistic pleasure of a nicotine hit. A single thought churned around his mind.

Alive and... whole. "Excellent news. Have you a location?"

The man hesitated before deciding that his Boss would not be interested in the pile of rubble that had been the secret laboratory of the recently deceased Englishman. He wanted the location of a certain ex-Consortium Agent.

"No. No-one knew what happened to him after he was removed from the tank."

He laughed in uncertainty, the sort of giggling cackle that would not have been out of place within an asylum, wondering if he should tell his Employer what they had said and deciding it couldn't hurt and might even bring back a little levity into that dour expression.

"They said 'Aliens took him'... whatever that's supposed to mean."

Silence descended. The Smoking Man smiled and gently stubbed out the cigarette that had quickly burned down to the filter, aided by the long drags he had made as he listened to his employee. He knew exactly what that meant and he knew who they meant; The Rebel Aliens.

The weasel-faced man slipped back into his memory of the frightened laboratory assistant and the pretty way she had begged as he sliced her flesh with a scalpel. His smile grew as he relived the sight of those bright ribbons of red flowing down her creamy skin, soaking into the dainty little bra and panties before a flick of his wrist sliced them from her plump body. Oh, he had such fun with her. Her soft, frightened whimpers still thrilled him....

"Is Agent Mulder still under surveillance?"

The man frowned, dragged out of his wonderful dream world back to the darkened parking lot. Puzzlement showed plainly on his face as he struggled to understand the significance behind the sudden change of topic.

"The First Elder withdrew surveillance several weeks ago. Without the Englishman he's no longer considered the threat that..."

"Renew the surveillance."

The older man turned his head away and after a few minutes of silence the man realised their meeting was over. He opened the door and started to clamber out before a gravely voice arrested the motion.

"Good work, Mr Roberts."

The pock-marked man smiled at the unaccustomed praise, continued out of the car, shutting the door gently but firmly behind him before walking off into the deepening shadows. Moments later another shadow detached itself from behind a nearby pillar and swiftly moved into the Driver's seat. The Driver looked up into the rear-view mirror and caught sight of the feral smile that almost reached his employer's rheumy blue eyes. He dropped his gaze before the internal shudder manifested itself physically and busied himself with gunning the engine. The sedan started smoothly, purring like a big, well-fed cat and the car pulled away slowly, heading towards the exit. He offered no words in conversation, knowing this man was too dangerous to engage even in small talk, awaiting instructions instead.

The Cigarette-Smoking Man let his head fall back against the seat and closed his eyes. Visions danced behind his eyelids... past, present and, with careful planning, future. A young man with dark, mahogany hair and beautiful green eyes, alive and whole, lying naked beneath him; impaled by him, crying out softly with each powerful thrust of his hips, sinking into that sweet, firm flesh, kneading those perfect white asscheeks.

A single word escaped from him on a quiet sigh of deep longing and intense pleasure.

"Alex."

When the Rebel aliens had attacked BioTechnics he thought he had lost his Alex forever. He, himself, had barely escaped with his life, eternally grateful for the sense of self-preservation that had kept his driver and car close at hand. They had pulled over not far from the entrance, just in time to see Dana Scully supporting her partner out of the burning building and forcing him into their car. Of Alex there had been no sign... and no attempt by either agent to return for him. Fire engines had descended upon the scene, and he had waited the three hours it took to douse the flames, watching for signs of any bodies being removed from the burnt-out remains of the laboratory. But the paramedics had gone away empty-handed leaving the Smoker with only two possibilities floating through his head, either Alex was dead, incinerated beyond all recognition of being human... or the Rebels had taken him.

Over two months had passed but now he had the answer.

"Alive and whole."

This was so much more than he ever expected. Seeing the physical perfection destroyed had angered him greatly as he remembered the way those agile fingers would caress his skin, bringing him to such exquisite heights of passion and pain. He had vowed to take revenge on the Russian peasants who had mutilated his 'lover' but gained no satisfaction when he discovered the task had already been performed by another. Comrade Arntzen had decided the presence of these one-armed rebellious peasants was a security risk. He had set up a ten mile exclusion zone killing everyone within its perimeter that could not be used for the tests.

The Smoker's thoughts travelled back to the younger man. He remembered the way that pretty mouth with its deep cupid's bow would smile just before the lips stretched wide to take inside his considerable erection; remembered the way the forest-green eyes used to dance as he watched the control slip from his 'master'. His expression hardened as he recalled the later years when those eyes would stay closed; the sucking hard and ferocious as Alex tried to bring him off as quickly as possible; the surreptitious wiping of swollen lips with the back of his hand when kissed. He had lost his Alex somewhere along the way but that didn't mean Alex had to stay lost. He grimaced as he took another drag from the ever present cigarette. If Alex would not come back to him willingly then he would take him... and there were plenty of drugs on the black market that would ensure he forgot all about Fox William Mulder.

The Smoker opened his eyes and raised his head to stare straight forward through the windshield. Thoughts of Alexei Krycek's delicious body had sent tingling sensations thrumming through his ageing body and, with a feral grin, he remembered the photo that had been handed to him earlier. He pulled a manila folder from the door pocket, removed the photo and studied the face. It was closer than some; the eyes were green although not the right shade; the hair dark but without the hints of red. Not his Alex but... A plume of blue-tinged smoke drifted from the back seat. He raised his voice, his soft yet gravely tone seeming to float across with the smoke.

"Have you made the necessary arrangements?"

The Driver turned his head slightly to acknowledge his employer. "Yes, sir."

Another feral smile followed and the Driver grimaced. John Davis did not need explicit instructions to determine where his employer wanted to go. Exiting the underground parking lot, he turned the wheel to take the shortest route to the nearby Interstate. Within minutes the sleek, black car was heading North towards the small town of Barter's Grove where a young man waited in a seedy motel for a patron who had promised twice the usual fee for his services.

xx

Three Days Later
2630 Hegal Place
Apartment 42 Alexandria

Mulder paused on the threshold to the bedroom and gazed in pure, unadulterated pleasure at the beautiful sight laid out before him on the bed. Alex was lying on his stomach, half-raised on his elbows with a book in his hands. Mulder couldn't prevent his eyes from travelling along the length of that perfect, naked body. The broad shoulders tapering down to a trim waist; honeyed skin paling to white as his eyes fixed onto the exposed ass, with its soft round contours, then down the long, firm legs covered in a light spattering of dark hair, eventually resting on the soles of the high-arched feet. His eyes drifted back to his favourite spot... those pale globes of firm, muscular flesh. His hands itched to reach out and cup each one, pulling them apart to reveal the tightly puckered muscle that was the gateway to his own private heaven on Earth. Gradually he became aware of being watched and looked up to find a pair of teasing green eyes glancing over his lover's shoulder.

Mulder couldn't stop the blush creeping up his face from reaching the tips of his ears but Alex merely chuckled, a deep, sexy sound, pleased at the reaction his body caused in his lover. Mulder cleared his throat.

"I spoke to Skinner today."

A slight dip of the head and rise of the eyebrows was the only response. A beaming smile lit Mulder's often pensive features. Alex Krycek abandoned his book and turned over, reaching for his lover's hand. He didn't really need to hear the outcome of that talk. He already knew what Mulder intended to do that day. They had talked about it long into the night. Obviously, from Mulder's expression, his own positive stance on what would happen had borne out. Skinner had not accepted Mulder's resignation but had accepted Mulder's lover, albeit reluctantly.

Mulder was mesmerised momentarily by the sight of his lover's semi-rigid shaft arching gracefully across his thigh. He swallowed audibly, pulled out of his frozen state by the heat flaring in those forest-green eyes. He reached the bed in two strides and pulled Alex into a strong embrace, nuzzling the dark hair before whispering into one slightly pointed ear.

"It's not all good news. We're on probation... both of us... and Skinner didn't mention anything about taking you back into the Bureau."

"That's not up to him." Krycek pulled back and gazed into the large hazel eyes, seeing his own reflection in the dilated pupil. "Anyway, it makes more sense for me to remain on the outside as I expect the Rebels will want something in return for their investment."

Alex flexed his left arm, a perfect match to the other, as a reminder to Fox Mulder of what he had regained through his involvement with the Resistance. Even now, Alex could barely believe what he saw when he gazed down, terrified this was all a dream, that the tingling of nerve endings was just more of the phantom pain that had plagued him since losing the limb. His attention focused onto his left hand, fascination and awe vying for supremacy as he wiggled the fingers. He looked up when the hand was captured and brought to soft lips, watching as each finger in turn was taken into that luscious mouth and sucked. He licked suddenly dry lips as energy danced from those stimulated finger tips through the length of his arm and down into the pit of his stomach where it radiated outwards to set his whole being aflame with desire.

Mulder frowned, releasing the fingers from his mouth but still clasping the hand.

"That reminds me. Scully says the bloodwork results are due back from the lab today. She said she'd collect them and drop by on her way home..."

His words were halted when Alex, tiring of conversation, pulled Mulder down onto the bed, tugging him on top of his naked body. Strong hands ranged along Mulder's flanks then around his back as his mouth was drawn to the firm, willing lips below him. A tongue, soft as velvet lapped against his full bottom lip sending a frisson of delight through sensitive nerve endings and his mouth opened in offering to the teasing, probing insistence. Moments later he found himself crushed against the other's mouth as his own tongue battled furiously with the invader, sucking, licking, pushing the other back and following its retreat into another taste of heaven... the taste of Alex. The battle ended abruptly as Alex submitted to his lover and Mulder flaunted his victory with strong strokes across the palate, along the smooth ridge of teeth and into the softness of inner cheek exploring the now familiar territory with the thoroughness of a perfectionist.

He felt a tug on his jacket and slowly they began a familiar dance as bodies writhed and flexed until every article of clothing had slipped from Mulder's body to lie pooled on the floor beside the bed. Alex smiled into the almost bruising kiss that had remained unbroken throughout their dance. He raised both hands to grasp either side of Mulder's face and gently pushed his lover away.

Fox Mulder stared down into eyes darkened in desire, his tongue teasing along his own kiss-swollen lips, unconsciously mirroring the man beneath him. Coherent thought returned and with it came the wonder of this moment. What had he done to deserve this? What Gods had he so pleased that they saw fit to reward him with this beautiful, sensuous creature?

Alex frowned slightly as Mulder's expression darkened in fear. He was acutely aware of his lover's mood swings... the optimistic highs followed so closely by the lows of near paranoia. One corner of his mouth rose. Mulder was a regular roller-coaster of emotions, one moment impassioned by his quest for the truth, the next despondent by the weight of past failures. He didn't need to be a mind-reader to know what thoughts were racing through his lover's brain. He had seen the selfless awe and wonder as he gazed down at his one-time enemy but new-found love and knew the darkness was the flip-side... the fear of losing what he had found. Alex Krycek took the one course of action that was guaranteed to drive those thoughts away. He pulled the face back down to his own and possessed the delectable mouth, hands flowing back through the thick chestnut hair, gliding down the nape of Mulder's neck to slide across the strong shoulders, then down further, until he was caressing the bulging biceps that supported the weight of Mulder's body above him. In response, Mulder moaned softly into the demanding mouth and felt his elbows give way until he was supported by his forearms either side of the broad shoulders, his chest resting against the almost hairless skin of his lover's torso. Long legs parted beneath him and Mulder felt his own slip between them until he could feel the silken steel of his lover's erection sliding against his own.

He moaned anew as Alex rocked his hips gently from side to side producing an exquisite friction as his swollen shaft rubbed against the soft yet muscular belly, trapped by his own weight. He lost himself in the sensation for several minutes and then, before he could fall over the edge, pulled back until he was kneeling between the wantonly spread thighs. As wonderful as this felt, Mulder knew he wanted something far tighter, far more intimate. His gold flecked eyes widened as a small tube was dangled before him and his smile grew into a stunning grin as he allowed Alex to squeeze the cool gel onto his fingers. A single thought broke through the haze of lust as he wondered how Alex could so easily understand what he needed.

He gently prepared his lover, watching the green eyes glaze over as his fingers plunged into the hot channel, stroking and rubbing the soft interior until he felt the tight muscles relax. He pulled away once more and sat back on his heels, waiting until Alex opened his eyes, needing to see the consent written across that expressive face before he continued. His memory of abusing Alex, still too close to the surface. Mulder smiled as the hungry eyes devoured his own, kiss-softened lips quivering with expectation, then positioned himself at the prepared entrance and thrust firmly but gently forward.

A sharp intake of breath was the only sound, the fluttering descent of those long dark lashes, concealing the bright eyes, the only movement. Mulder held still and waited until the curtain of lashes raised before pushing forward once more. Once he was fully sheathed he paused again... this time to savour the tightness around his swollen flesh and the warmth of the firm asscheeks against his thighs and balls. Below him, Alex writhed, small pants of pleasure and need drifting up to caress his ears and ignite his body. Too soon the need to seek completion pulled him almost fully out of the delicious body before he plunged back into the restrictive heat, his mind soaring as guttural moans of welcome possession increased audibly.

Mulder pushed himself back up until his elbows locked and gazed down between their bodies, his own excitement increasing as he watched his shaft drive deep into the willing body. A hand snaked between them, grabbing Mulder's attention and he became mesmerised by the fingers that wrapped around his lover's tumescent flesh, gliding up and down the thick shaft until...

Mulder felt the beginning of his lover's orgasm as internal muscles clenched tightly around him. He forced his eyes to remain open as Alex cried out softly, watching the spurts of white semen splatter across the muscular abdomen and chest before giving in to his own impending destruction and rebirth as he pumped once... twice... three times into the beautiful sweat-sheened body.

He collapsed on top of his lover and revelled in the strong arms that enfolded him. They remained that way for a few moments until it became obvious that his weight was too uncomfortable for Alex to support. Mulder slipped to one side and pulled Alex against him, covering the still gasping mouth with a slow, affectionate kiss. He pulled back and grinned at the satiated expression on the angelic face knowing his own mirrored that of his lover's.

"You're good for me."

Alex smiled then laid his head upon Mulder's shoulder and, with no more words passing between them, they drifted into a deep, restful sleep.

xx

East 46th Street
New York City

CBG Spender stubbed out one cigarette and, moments later, with the flick of his thumb he lit another. He glanced around the conference table seemingly oblivious to the baleful glares his actions evoked. The First Elder grimaced. He abhorred the habit and the man but could not deny Spender's usefulness to the Project.

"I am told you have renewed surveillance on Agent Mulder."

"Yes. I have reason to believe he will be contacted by the rebel aliens."

"I see."

"If you wish me to remove..."

The First Elder's mouth tightened as the honeyed words flowed smoothly from Spender's almost sneering mouth; the faked subservience grating on already over-strung nerves.

"No... but I wish to be kept informed."

"Of course. Is that all?"

It was easy to see that there was no love lost between the two men but then, Spender seemed to hold most of the powerful men present in barely held contempt, his condescending attitude doing little to hide his disdain.

"Strughold has confirmed his requirements. You will arrange for more... merchandise to be shipped. I expect you to take a personal interest in the latest batch of acquisitions."

Spender nodded his head, lips pursed with a small show of distaste. He was reluctant to leave the States knowing that Alex might be in hiding nearby. As to reporting the results of any surveillance on Fox Mulder... well, he would ensure a highly edited version reached the First Elder should his theory pan out. He did not want anyone to interfere with his plans to regain Alexei Krycek. Spender half-listened as the First Elder continued, the other half of his attention caught in planning what he would do if he should locate Alex.

"In the meantime, to eliminate any possibility of Mr Mulder interfering with our work I suggest you make arrangements for him and his partner to be permanently reassigned away from the X-Files... and more amenable agents put in place."

"I have already set the wheels in motion."

"Excellent."

xx

2630 Hegal
Place Apartment
42 Alexandria

A knock on the door brought both men out of a light sleep. Mulder glanced blearily at the beside clock, his blue-gold eyes widening in shock.

"Jesus, Alex! Look at the time!"

He leapt out of bed, throwing sweats and a T-shirt at the recumbent man even as he struggled into his own sweats.

"What the..." was all Mulder heard as Alex found himself muffled by the sweat pants that landed on his face.

"Scully!"

"Oh shit!"

Alex clambered out from under the well mussed sheet, hair in disarray and started pulling on the clothes. Beyond the bedroom door they heard the sound of the apartment door opening as Scully let herself in.

"Mulder?"

Her soft, inquiring voice filtered along the short corridor. Krycek ran a hand quickly through his short hair and turned to inspect his lover. He smiled at the strands of hair that had taken a life of their own, reaching out as if trying to escape from his head. Dunking his fingers in the glass of water by the bed, he ran his fingers through Mulder's hair, taming the errant locks. A quick peck on the cheek was his thanks as Mulder hurried out of the bedroom to meet Scully in the lounge.

She smiled as she noticed his flushed face and flustered manner.

I know what you've been doing... the sing-song words floated into her head as they had when she was a child taunting her elder siblings. Her smile raised a notch when he ran his hand through the thick chestnut hair, undoing all of Alex's work. Moments later Krycek entered the lounge looking equally dishevelled... and bearing a mischievous grin.

"Before you say it... No, I hadn't forgotten you were coming over. I just forgot the time."

"Got a little bit distracted, hmmm?"

The twinkle in her crystal blue eyes was at total odds with the seriousness of her expression but she couldn't hold the 'severe' face for more than a few seconds. Mulder blushed in embarrassment as her pretty mouth broke into an impish grin. She turned her gaze, automatically, to take in Alex Krycek. Much of the bad blood between them had faded away during those days in Florida. Still, she had not completely resolved all her feelings towards him but had made the effort for Mulder's sake. Seeing him now looking so young, innocent and carefree made her smile. This was the Alexei Krycek that she wanted to know, not the duplicitous rat that had entered their lives all those years ago. She had come to care for this Alex Krycek.

The mood was broken as Mulder collapsed into his favourite spot on the old leather couch.

"Coffee?"

Scully looked back at Krycek, almost off-hand in her reply.

"Yeah, sure."

She sank onto the easy chair opposite, engaging Mulder in small-talk until Alex reappeared carrying three mugs. Once he settled himself on the couch next to her partner she reached down and drew a folder from her briefcase. It was the report from the laboratory.

"It's bad news, I'm afraid. The sample must have been contaminated as the blood showed elements that couldn't possibly be present under normal circumstances."

"What sort of elements?"

"Oh, a higher percentage of copper than would be deemed safe in a human blood sample... and strange aberrations of the DNA strands. I thought I could take another sample, send it through the labs again."

"No."

Both Mulder and Scully looked to Alex in surprise, not understanding why he would suddenly refuse to undergo the tests.

"I don't think it's necessary." He glanced from one to the other. "I mean... look at me! I'm fine... just got one more hand than I had a few months ago."

Scully raised an eyebrow, her partner was more vocal in his opinion.

"Alex, that sample could be exactly what we need to prove there is extra-terrestrial life not only 'out there' but walking around among us. You might be the irrefutable proof the sceptics have demanded..."

Dana Scully watched as Alex averted his face from his lover's bright eyes, seeming afraid of the obsessive light gleaming from them. She watched his lips thin, realising how close Alex was to saying something he might later regret. She interrupted Mulder before the explosion occurred.

"Mulder? Were the samples taken for Alex's benefit... or for yours?"

Mulder halted midstream, a stunned and wounded look crossing his face as he began to deny putting his own search for the truth ahead of his lover's well-being. The words tailed off as realisation came. Parading Alex Krycek around as a human/alien hybrid might bolster his own ego, proving to the world that he was right, that there was intelligent life out there but the effects on Alex would be devastating and might even cost Alex his life.

"You're right. Perhaps it's for the best."

He glanced up and produced a small smile for the man seated by his side then reached over and pulled Alex into his arms, hugging him tightly. After a moment's hesitation, Alex hugged him back.

"Well, if that's everything then I'm off. I have a date with hot bath, a bottle of tequila and a Hershey bar."

"Life in the fast lane, Scully."

As she walked to the door, trailed by her partner, Scully smiled secretly to herself. What she hadn't mentioned was the Jackie Collins novel she had treated herself to... and word on the grapevine was that it was raunchy in all the right places.

xx

One Week Later
FBI Headquarters
Washington DC

Mulder could still not believe the way events had unfolded over the past week. The day after speaking with Skinner he had found himself back in the AD's office with Scully and what followed still filled him with both disgust and anger.

Skinner had seemed almost apologetic as he informed them of the decision to remove them from the X-Files. Apparently, someone in the higher echelons of the Bureau had decided that, following the Antarctic incident, Mulder was too obsessed and therefore no longer subjective in his current work. He and Scully were to be replaced by Special Agents Jeffrey Spender and Diana Fowley.

There were plenty of reasons why the news of his successors jarred. Despite the fact that he and Diana had originally set up the X-Files together, Mulder was less than willing to see her take them back. Her decision to take up another assignment had followed hard on the footsteps of their ill-conceived marriage and subsequent divorce. He knew that, at the time, she had not been happy with the decision but it was that or carrying on as if nothing had happened between them; pretending they had never shared anything more than an obsession with the paranormal. He had been grateful then... now he was livid. As to Jeffrey Spender...

The scene with AD Skinner replayed in his mind...

"That's a load of Bull and you know it. They thought they had destroyed my work when they burnt the files. You know and I know that Spender is a Consortium lackey... this is just another excuse to remove me from..."

"Agent Mulder, I am not here to argue with you. You and Agent Scully will report to AD Kersh for reassignment at 11:00. Dismissed."

"Sir, isn't there..."

Skinner held up a hand as Dana Scully uttered her first words since entering his office. She closed her mouth and watched as the hand travelled across the strong face and over the balding head.

"You're good agents.... both of you... and I'm sorry this has happened but I have no say in this matter. And neither do you. Dismissed."

Mulder had stormed out of the AD's office and, two hours later, he and Scully had found themselves clearing their desks and moving into AD Kersh's realm.

A week had passed since then and the only work that appeared on their desks seemed so inconsequential as to be laughable; checking references was the sort of task reserved for junior agents, fresh out of Quantico. He had reconsidered resigning but Alex was right. Someone was trying to force him out by demoralising him. This knowledge merely served to fire him up; his stubborn, obsessive streak standing him in good stead for once as he decided that, if the X-Files couldn't come to him then he would go to them.

By day he was the pencil pushing bureaucrat as ordered, seeming to work late into the evening but, as soon as the last person left he returned to his own agenda, hacking into the FBI database looking for anomalies... and raiding Spender's waste basket. It looked as though Spender shredded everything that came across his desk.

Mulder frowned, aware that the true casualty of his latest plan had been his lover. Although only a week had passed he could sense the restlessness in the other. Until his reassignment they had filled the evenings with sex... fantastic sex... but over this past week he had not returned until the early hours. Mulder felt the smile that lifted his lips falter. Alex had waited up, choosing to sleep during the day but the strain was starting to tell as they collapsed together on the bed with Mulder too tired to raise an eyebrow let alone... He sniffed softly. Such a turnaround. Two weeks ago Alex had been returned to him, miraculously alive and whole but filled with a debilitating fatigue. During those first few days it was Mulder who made most of the effort, teasing and caressing, bringing Alex to the edge slowly and gently. He smiled in remembrance of those times when Alex would pass out from the shock waves riding his body.

Since then the man had started to recover and it had not been unusual for Mulder to return to his apartment to find his lover doing a series of strenuous sit-ups and press-ups, rebuilding his strength. Over the passed few nights, however, he had noticed the almost imperceptible twitch of the curtain as he made his way up the front steps and into the tenement building. Usually, by the time he had reached the apartment Alex had come away from the window having found some other task to occupy him but the fact that he took such a risk in the first place was a sure sign of his increasing restlessness.

Mulder glanced at the clock. It was time to start the last of his night duties. He crept down to the basement office where he and Scully had so recently spent most of their time when not on assignment. A quick check showed that no-one was around and so he snuck in using a spare key he had cut several years ago, in case of emergency, but had deliberately failed to hand over to Skinner. With deft movements he emptied the trash can into one plastic bag and emptied another bag of shredded paper into the trash bin in replacement. He didn't want to make the Cleaner suspicious. A bang from along the corridor caught his attention. He waited silently. Looked like the Cleaner was doing his rounds slightly earlier.

Mulder took a quick gaze through the single folder in the desk drawer, memorising the details, flicked off the desk lamp and left the office. The clatter of the trash cart proved he had cut it a little too fine but he sighed in relief as he made the corner just before the Cleaner turned the far one.

Four hours later Mulder had pieced together most of the latest shredded document. He grimaced. It was a report of strange lights over Barter's Grove. Nothing special there. The small town was close to a military research station.

Mulder ran a hand through his short brown hair, sending strands spiking in all directions. It was almost two a.m. Time to leave. He turned off the PC and hauled on his jacket and coat.

When he finally pulled up outside the apartment he saw the curtain twitch and grimaced once more. He was being so unfair on Alex but what choice was there? As he moved into the quiet lounge he expected to find Alex curled up on the sofa reading... or pottering around the kitchen making a sandwich but both rooms were empty. Eventually he found Alex in the bedroom, standing in the dark, still gazing almost longingly around the edge of the drawn curtains at the world beyond. Mulder walked up behind him, wrapping one arm around his broad chest as the other closed the curtain. He nuzzled the fine dark hairs at the nape of his lover's neck and whispered a soft 'hi' into one elfin ear.

Pulling his lover away from the window, Mulder placed his finger across the bow-shaped lips when it looked as though Alex was about to say something. With deft fingers he stripped both of them and turned to study Alex. Only the barest glimmer of light bled into the bedroom from the lounge but it was enough to throw shadows across the well-formed chest, emphasising the strong pectorals, the peak of an erect nipple and the ripple of muscle across his abdomen. Mulder gazed at his own reflection in the dressing mirror. Many described it as athletic, lithe... a runner's body with long thigh muscles and strong calves. Alex... well, he was built more like a fighter; a boxer. So apt, really, considering their life styles.

Strange. When he first entered the room he had all the intention of falling into bed but not for sex, just to sleep. Seeing that lost and forlorn figure sent a shard of ice ripping into his heart and he could think of only one way to bring the warmth back.

Alex had remained motionless as if in shock when Mulder lay face down on the bed, head pillowed on his arms, offering his body. The concern on his face proved he had seen the fatigue that dulled the chameleon eyes and he was expecting nothing more than to hold Mulder while he slept. Alex sank down on the bed, trailing one hand along the soft, exposed skin and then sighed deeply, removing his hand.

"We have to talk."

Mulder mumbled a reply but knew Alex would not be satisfied until he heard something more intelligible so he turned his head to look up into Alex's pensive face.

"I know... but not tonight."

They held each other's eyes a moment longer before Alex nodded his assent.

"Okay. Not tonight... but soon." His voice becoming even softer, more husky. "Cummon, you're tired. Let's just lie here. Sleep."

Mulder reached out and grabbed the hand that drew the bedsheet over his body.

"I do love you, Alex. You know that. You mean..."

Alex placed one finger over his trembling lips.

"I know."

Alex finished pulling the sheet over them and then snuggled down, pulling Mulder into his arms. After a few minutes he heard the sound of Mulder's breathing change, growing softer and deeper but, for him, sleep was elusive and, many hours later, he was still staring up at the ceiling watching the light of a new day creep across the room.

xx

The Next Morning
FBI Headquarters
Washington DC

AD Skinner dropped his briefcase onto his desk and sighed. He sniffed the air, his nose wrinkling up in distaste and he turned on his heel. Holding the 'No Smoking' sign up like a cross to a vampire, Skinner approached the seated man.

"I won't even bother asking how you got into my locked office uninvited but you can at least show a little courtesy."

The Smoker merely smiled and took another long drag at the cigarette held nonchalantly in his hand, blowing the smoke out in one long stream directed towards the AD's face. With the other hand he flipped a folder to Skinner. The AD caught it deftly and glanced at the cover. The name 'Barry, Duane' written in bold type across the title. He recognised it as the report Mulder had written following Duane Barry's suspicious death. The report in which the Special Agent had made allegations against Alexei Krycek.

"It appears Mr Mulder has recently rescinded certain allegations made against his... former partner, Agent Krycek. Any particular reason why he should do so at this time?"

"How the hell would I know. The man's no longer under my control."

"Oh come now, Mr Skinner. I am not a fool and I did not take you for one either. Where is Alexei Krycek?"

Skinner kept the small smile that threatened to break across his face from showing. Despite his own personal dislike of Krycek... for obvious reasons; the beating he had taken on the hospital stairwell being one of them, the thought of holding out on CBG Spender was far more pleasurable than what he would gain in handing over information on Krycek's whereabouts. He turned his deadpan expression back on the Smoker, his voice low and gruff.

"I have no idea... and even if I did, what makes you think I would tell you?"

"Professional courtesy?"

This time the smile did make it's way onto Skinner's face as he tossed the 'No Smoking' sign at the Smoker.

"Perhaps if I ever saw some then I might be willing to reciprocate. You found your way in so I assume you know your way out."

The Smoker rose and moved to the door. He paused on the threshold.

"One day you'll need me..."

"When hell freezes over."

A malicious smile curled the corner of the Smoker's mouth. He nodded his head once and left leaving Skinner alone with his thoughts, wondering if he should mention this 'visitation' to Special Agent Mulder. With a shake of his head he decided it would be better to forget the whole thing. He grimaced as a nasty taste reached his mouth. The day had barely begun and already he had heartburn.

Skinner popped two tablets into his mouth and chewed thoughtfully as he pulled the first of many reports open in front of him.

xx

A Few Hours Later
AD Kersh's Department
FBI Headquarters, Washington DC

Scully watched her partner from her desk. She knew what he was doing late at night after everyone else had left but it did not sit well with her on more than one front.

Firstly, she hated the subterfuge, her sense of duty vying uncomfortably with her loyalty—and love—for her partner. They both knew what would happen to him if he was caught and, although he would do his damndest to ensure she was not hit by the fallout, she knew she would be 'tainted by association'. Normally this would not bother her. She had made the decision to stick by her partner through thick and thin and nothing, not even his relationship with Alex Krycek, could alter that. However, a black mark on her FBI record would close many doors of opportunity... and for what? Mulder had no proof that Spender and Fowley were deliberately concealing evidence, just his intuition. In the past that would have been enough but she wondered how much of this 'intuition' was actually fuelled by baser emotions; jealousy, bitterness, anger.

Secondly, she was fully aware of the strain this was putting on Mulder. He was more than just her partner... he was her best friend and she was appalled by the way he had been treated. She could understand his anger and felt it almost as keenly. Over the past few years she had devoted a lot of energy to the X-Files, or rather, she had devoted the energy to Fox Mulder and his strange quests. She knew her inability to accept much of what was thrust in front of her face was a constant source of dismay to her partner but, equally, she knew how much he relied upon her disbelief to keep him grounded. However, working with Fox Mulder was a double-edged sword. It had provided her with some unique opportunities to broaden her pathology skills but it had also brought her closer to death on more than one occasion. Memories of Donald Pfaster and Duane Barry brought on a shudder of remembered fear before being swiftly pushed back where they belonged.

Now, as she watched him scrub at tired eyes she felt more than just compassion rise; she felt her own anger and with it, her determination to give him whatever support he needed be it physical or psychological. With that thought in mind she rose from her desk.

xx

Mulder rubbed his hands across eyes dulled by fatigue, gulping down black coffee in the hope of pushing away the tiredness. He grimaced in distaste, suddenly aware of the amount of time that had passed. The coffee was cold... stone cold. He must have dozed off reading the latest boring report that had crossed his desk. He flipped the report shut with a heavy sigh. Eventually he would get used to the lack of sleep but, until then, he would have to take it easy. He didn't want Kersh to order him out of the building... and he didn't want to face any more disapproving looks from his partner.

Another cup of coffee was placed before him, the aroma curling up with the steam. He inhaled appreciatively and swivelled in his seat. Ignoring the concern in the bright blue eyes, he smiled his appreciation.

"You must be a mind-reader, Scully."

"And you should be more careful. They've been sniggering at you for the past ten minutes. Fortunately they can't tell the difference between one of your 'introspections' and a man fast asleep at his desk so they gave you the benefit of the doubt." Her eyes narrowed in thought and she added softly, "I think."

Mulder smiled wryly, well aware of the way he was viewed by many of the agents present. He mumbled something under his breath and then found himself smiling at the knowing look on her pretty face. Despite all they had been through, all their differences, she still knew him better than anyone else on the planet. The only exception being Alex.

He sighed. What was he going to do about Alex? He loved him... had been prepared to give up everything to stay with his lover but they both knew time was running out for the Human Race so their own personal choices would have to take a back seat. Mulder realised that the time to talk about the future... their future... had come. He couldn't expect Alex to wait around in his apartment, like a dutiful spouse, and Alex would not expect him to give up his cause. Too much was at stake. Tonight he would leave early and they would do what Alex had asked last night; they would talk.

Decision made, Mulder turned his attention back to the hot coffee... and his desk.

His in-tray was filled to the brim with the usual detritus of office paperwork; forms for car rental, forms for expenses claims, briefing reports, social reports. The list was endless and most were barely glanced at before being filed away... in the circular waste basket by the side of his desk. An irritating squeak heralded the arrival of yet another load of mail and Mulder sighed, expecting more of the same boring paperwork to be offloaded. Around him the other agents grimaced in annoyance. They had offered to bring in some grease to oil the wheels of the cart but, despite the irritation, Mulder preferred to be forewarned of someone coming up behind him.

When they had been sent back to the Bullpen, they had been forced to accept the only available desks; desks that nobody else felt comfortable sitting in. He realised pretty quickly how lucky he had been when the powers that be had given him the basement office. It might not have been the most glamorous of locations... and the view sucked but it had afforded him not just privacy but also peace. Here, the inane chatter and the clatter of fingers on keyboards were almost enough to drive him insane. Fortunately he did not need to 'think' about the work he was given. However, sharing an office with umpteen other agents had another down-side. Although having his back to the rest of the office gave him a slight sense of privacy, it also meant that he couldn't see anyone approaching... and there were a few items on his PC and on his desk that he would prefer not to reveal to the others.

Another small sigh. Agent Sanders would be leaving next week to have a baby and, as Senior Agent, he had already put in a claim for her desk once vacated. It moved him a little further away from Scully but, with a little persuasion, he hoped he might be able to convince Sander's ex-partner to swap desks with her.

The cart stopped by his side and Mulder watched the messenger reach for a stack of papers, files and envelopes. Mulder eyed the latest additions to his in-tray with disgust. Hauling them out and placing them in a pile in front of him, he started separating the post; some were added to the pile on his desk, the rest dropped the short distance into the trash bin. Automatic pilot was suddenly disengaged as the removal of a staff memo revealed a small manila envelope. Mulder's eyes narrowed in curiosity. He picked it up and turned it over in his hands but, other than his name, there were no other markings or writing to indicate an origin. With extreme care, he slit open the end and tipped the contents onto the desk in front of him; a single piece of paper, with a name written on it, fluttered to the desktop. A quick check revealed nothing left behind in the envelope. With his curiosity level raised another notch, Mulder read the name out, loudly enough to attract the attention of the agent seated nearby.

"You say something?"

"No, just talking out loud."

As he turned back to the single sheet of paper held in his hand, a relieved look on Markson's face was caught in his peripheral vision. He grimaced, his mouth a tight line of annoyance. No-one spoke to him unless they had to and all seemed to dread the occasions when 'Spooky Mulder' deigned to talk to them. His thoughts drifted back to the two people who did not treat him like some Pariah; Alex and Scully. A small smile lifted the sensuous lips at the incongruity of his thoughts... and their names.

Dana was his best friend... and he called her Scully out of affection. Alex was his lover and the love of his life yet he rarely ever thought of him as Krycek anymore. He had used that name as a curse for a hated enemy and now only employed it when he was annoyed or wanted Alex's full attention.

The smile broadened but the sound of feet shuffling behind him brought him back from those distracting thoughts. He waited but the feet moved passed his desk towards another and he turned his attention to the name on the piece of paper held in his hand. With his eidetic memory he knew that it was not a name he had come across before so he accessed the FBI database using the name in the search parameters. A minute, that felt like ten, passed before the information began to feed across the screen; Michael Anacek, age 31, dark hair, green eyes, height 1.8m, weight... Mulder frowned. The description fitted Alex. The rest of the information detailed Anacek's criminal record; 23 arrests for prostitution spanning 15 years; possession of narcotics leading to a short jail term. Passing across this information, Mulder noticed a recent entry; a missing person report entered the previous week. With some trepidation he clicked on the image button and was strangely relieved to find a photo of a man who, despite bearing a striking likeness to his Alex, was obviously not his lover. His fear of finding a clone abated.

Mulder frowned again, pursing his lips in annoyance. Why would someone send him this information? If they were hoping to drive a wedge between him and Alex then they needed to do better than this but... another thought crossed his mind. The man was a prostitute who had been reported missing well over a week ago; a prostitute with a resemblance to his lover. What was the connection?

Surreptitiously, he checked around to ensure no-one was paying any attention to him before pulling up the Missing Persons report. His eyes widened, mouth falling open as a name jumped from the screen: Barter's Grove. His memory whizzed back to the shredded paper he had pieced together last night and discarded so casually afterwards.

"Mulder? What are you doing?"

Mulder looked up from his frantic search of his desk and the wastepaper basket into Scully's concerned gaze noting the way her eyes flitted from side to side. He glanced around to see several agents staring at him in morbid fascination, only then becoming aware of the papers scattered over the floor in his search. He opened his mouth to say something flippant when he saw it, the office light glinting off the strips of tape used to reconstruct it. All thoughts of the people around him vanished as he reached for the report.

"Eureka."

Mulder waved the sheet of paper in Scully's direction and then turned to glare at a few of the spectators. None rose to the challenge, all preferring to back off and leave 'Spooky' to his own devices; all except Dana Scully.

Scully cleared a space on the seemingly ransacked desk top and perched casually on the edge.

"Care to tell me what this is all about?"

Mulder pointed to the screen. Scully twisted to view the data, unwilling to give up her self-made seat. She skimmed the report on Michael Anacek, her brow furrowing as she read the description and saw the photo.

"O-Kaayyy. So..." She halted as the repaired sheet was thrust into her tiny hands. The rising of one well-sculptured eyebrow said 'I know where this came from' and he had the good sense to looked chagrined but she read on anyway. "So you think there's some connection?"

"Don't you? Here we have a missing person who just happens to have disappeared the same night strange lights were seen over the town. This has all the hallmarks of a classic UFO abduction..."

"Mulder, we're not on the X-Files anymore." She reached down and picked up the small piece of paper with the name written on it, not recognising the writing. "What's this?"

"Arrived in my in-tray this morning." Mulder stared deep into the blue eyes. "Scully, someone sent me this name on purpose. Someone wants me to look into this... but why? At first I thought it might be someone who knows about my relationship with Alex; someone who wants to freak me out but the guy has only a fleeting resemblance..." Mulder sighed. "...Okay, has quite a good resemblance to..."

"They're so alike they could be brothers."

He paused as Scully's remark went careering through his head. He decided to flow with the unbidden thought that flashed into his mind... just a hunch but... He brought up the Missing Persons database and keyed in some relative details that matched the description of his Alex; male, dark hair, green eyes etc then sat back as the search engine trundled through the numerous files. He spent the interminable wait picking up the wads of paper that had been discarded in all directions during his search... and listening to Scully's fingernails click on the surface of his desk, until a warble indicated that the search was complete.

Mulder leaned back in surprise at the list of 32 names that was presented to him. He printed the names and then clicked on each in turn to bring up the details and photos, with Scully watching over his shoulder. By the time they had worked their way through all the names Mulder knew his hunch had paid off. Of the 32 names there were seven men, including Michael Anacek, who bore a remarkable resemblance to Alexei Krycek. Many were the kind of low-life that nobody really cared about; prostitutes and drug addicts, the denizens of the red light districts and bars that filled many of America's cities. Anonymous figures who were only missed by their Pimps and Dealers for financial reasons and yet no-one seemed to have made too much of a fuss when they disappeared. Mulder took the 'last seen' details of these men and plotted them on a map. They were spread across the country from Los Angeles to Chicago.

His first thought was that these unfortunate men had paid the price for having such a close resemblance to his own lover. The Consortium had searched high and low for Alexei Krycek following his theft of the MJ-12 tape. It still amazed him that Alex had managed to evade their grasp for so long... unless someone had been protecting him. His thoughts churned on. The latest missing person had disappeared just over a week ago and if he had been mistaken for Alex Krycek then it was a fair bet that the 'wrong people' knew Alex was back in the US. Sudden concern for his lover showed plainly on his face. He printed off a copy of the Missing Person report for each of the seven.

"I need to take this to Skinner. The latest victim disappeared over a week ago and if we don't move soon then the trail will have gone cold. Besides, we'll need to correlate these reports with UFO sightings."

"I'll go through the personal files and see if I can find any other connection... apart from the obvious one that they all resemble Alex in some way."

Scully smiled at the grateful grin that lit up her partner's face. She watched as he gathered all the data together and head out of the bullpen towards Skinner's office with renewed purpose, the adrenaline kick of a new case putting the spring back into his step.

xx

AD Skinner's Office
FBI Headquarters, Washington DC

"Sir, Special Agent Mulder would like to see you."

Skinner sighed. He was up to his neck in reports and knew he'd be taking at least a third of them home with him tonight if he didn't manage to get a few uninterrupted hours in the office. He rubbed a hand over his bald head. To be honest, he missed Mulder's bizarre theories and reports. Despite the dubious content they were a lot more interesting than the normal run-of-the-mill surveillance reports that crossed his desk and had made life a little more exciting. That thought startled him. At the time he had suffered a constant headache trying to follow the convoluted scientific explanations that Dana Scully had put forward against Mulder's outlandish theories while performing a ritual danse macabre with the shadowy Morley Man. Yet now, he missed the challenge. Until today, it had been far too quiet since Mulder had been reassigned to Kersh. In fact, the number of X-File reports that had crossed his desk since Spender and Fowley had taken over could be counted on the fingers of one hand... and none of these had been followed up. He made a mental note to look into this.

"Send him in."

Mulder bounded into the office like a man on a crusade. Skinner knew that look well and pointed to the seat opposite.

"What is it, Agent Mulder?"

"I have a list of names... all Missing Persons..."

Skinner held up a hand to halt the flow.

"If this is another 'Alien Abduction' theory then I have to remind you that you are no longer assigned to the X-Files..."

Mulder paused, his teeth, momentarily, worrying his lower lip as he considered his options before finally deciding to tell the truth.

"Okay, Sir. I do believe these men have been 'abducted' by aliens but, if you let me show you some photos, you might understand why it's important I follow this up."

Walter Skinner leant back in his chair, hands raised in an expansive gesture. His eyes narrowed with each photo laid in front of him, his forehead creasing in realisation. As the last photo was displayed, Skinner looked up into the serious face opposite. He held up a hand as Mulder opened his mouth.

"You think they're all dead... killed because of their likeness to Krycek."

"Yes, Sir. All the disappearances have taken place over the past 5 years, since he went on the run with the DAT tape. I know the Consortium is in collusion with the Aliens. The Consortium may have mistaken these men for Alex."

Skinner grimaced. He really didn't know what to believe. There was no proof that Aliens existed but he had the utmost respect for Mulder and knew something must be going on otherwise why waste all the time, money and effort trying to discredit the man albeit on a small scale. It occurred to him then that discrediting Mulder on a global scale would have a detrimental effect, pouring unwanted attention on those very theories they were trying to suppress. He sighed. No matter what the truth of the matter, he had been ordered to have no professional contact with Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

"Missing Persons is not your area of responsibility. Where did you get this information?"

Mulder glanced up, his hazel eyes holding the dark ones of the AD in defiance.

"The name Michael Anacek was sent to me in an unmarked envelope. I put the rest of it together by accessing the Missing Persons database." Mulder paused, pursing his lips in mild agitation. "His disappearance was reported just over a week ago. I'd like to check it out before the trail goes cold."

Skinner nodded his head. It was these intuitive leaps that made Mulder one of the FBI's best agents—if not the most infuriating but now came the hard part. Mulder and Scully had been reassigned to AD Kersh's Domestic Terrorism department checking out requests for chemicals that could be used to make explosives. Missing Persons and Homicide did not come under that remit.

"I appreciate you bringing this to my attention but I'll have to assign people from this department to investigate. It's the best I can do."

Mulder pushed back the chair as he sprang to his feet. He leant forward on Skinner's desk; the aggressiveness of his stance was not lost on the AD.

"With all due respect... sir, that's not good enough..."

"Agent Mulder. You are about to cross the line. I would think very carefully before you utter another word."

They held each others eyes momentarily; unrelenting hardness in one set, anger in the other until Mulder backed down, the sulleness of his expression a true indicator that he had no intention of letting the subject drop.

Skinner flinched slightly as a coldness crept into the usually warm, hazel eyes. He raised a hand to forestall Mulder's explosion.

"I'm sorry, Agent Mulder, but you no longer report to me, it's not within my power to assign you to the case."

Mulder stared hard into the deep brown eyes as if trying to decipher some hidden meaning in the dark depths but Skinner was giving nothing away. Recognising the dismissal, Mulder turned away without another word.

Walter Skinner swallowed visibly. The whole thing had left a sour taste in his mouth but he had his orders to make no special dispensations for his former agents and approaching Kersh to reassign the pair, even temporarily, would be tantamount to disobeying that order. However, he could ensure that this connection between the missing men was investigated, recognising that it was fear for his lover that had driven Mulder to his door. His meeting with 'Morley Man' proved the Consortium knew Krycek had resurfaced in the US and he realised it would only be a matter of time before they found him.

Skinner dropped his head into his hands, fingers massaging his temples where the tell-tale signs of a massive headache were beginning to make themselves known. Despite his own continuing anger at the ex-FBI Agent, Skinner felt he owed it to Mulder to try and protect his lover. He looked up, pressed the intercom button and spoke to his secretary.

"Kimberley. Please send for Agents Harris and Davidson."

xx

Mulder stormed back to his desk and dropped into his seat, cursing himself for believing Skinner would help him. If he'd kept his mouth shut then he could have done a little more investigating himself but he had put his faith in Skinner.

"Dammit."

He dropped his fist to the desk, wincing slightly at the pain that jarred along his arm. The soft, familiar sound of his partner's voice floated over his shoulder in inquiry and he swivelled in his chair to face Scully.

"I just blew it with Skinner. I thought I could trust the man but..." He slouched over and put his forehead on the desk.

"What is it, Mulder?"

Dana Scully perched herself on the edge of his desk and waited, knowing Mulder would tell her in his own time. She watched as he raised his head from the desk, an embittered smile toying about his mouth. He stared at his own reflection in the darkened computer screen for a moment and then turned anxious eyes to his partner.

"Alex's life is in danger and there's not a damn thing I can do to about it. I think that Cancer ridden bastard knows Alex is here... and now it's only a matter of time..."

Mulder straightened up suddenly and grabbed his cellphone. How could he have been so stupid? There had to be a good reason why this name should arrive on his desk today. It was a warning. He punched the speed dial and mumbled to himself as the answer phone message cut in. His listened impatiently to the sound of his own voice.

"Pick up the phone, Alex. Cummon, take a chance and pick up the phone..." As the brief answer-message ended Mulder spoke louder. "He knows you're here."

xx

The journey back to his apartment seemed to take forever and Mulder found himself leaning on the horn on more than one occasion as he impatiently negotiated the early evening commuter rush. Eventually he pulled up outside his apartment block and jumped out of the car. Fingers fumbled with the key and he decided against waiting for the ancient elevator and took the stairs three at a time. The hallway leading to his door was empty and, as he walked along the narrow corridor he could barely make out the sound of the other inhabitants except for the occasional muted hum of a television set. He slid the key into the lock on his door and turned it slowly, keeping his tall frame to the side just in case he had unwelcome visitors though why he expected them today was pure paranoia. The arrival of the plain manila envelope had given him the jitters—not for his own sake but for his lover's.

The door swung open on newly greased hinges... one of the differences between him and Alex. He preferred the grating sound that would pre-warn him of some intrusion, Alex preferred the well-oiled silence so he could slip in and out of the apartment unheard, thereby reducing the chances of him being seen. The silence within the apartment was unnerving. Had Alex heeded his warning and gone to ground... or was there a more sinister reason for the heaviness of the dead air? He moved from room to room, watching for signs of an unwanted third party and, simultaneously, dreading finding something or someone. He pushed open the kitchen door, concerned that it was shut... something that neither of them ever did, his breath hitching as the unmistakable smell of blood assailed his senses.

"Alex!"

He knew, the moment he stepped into the room, that a body had lain in the pool of dark red, viscous liquid that was spread out across the kitchen floor and that left too many thoughts crowding around his head. Whose body? Was it Alex or someone injured or killed by Alex? Where was Alex? Did he escape? Was he now a hostage... or was he dead, his body taken away by his murderers?

Mulder sank into the seat at the kitchen table and stared at the pool of blood. Fear coiled heavily in his stomach. He should have contacted Alex earlier... before going to Skinner.

xx

Two Hours Earlier
2630 Hegal Place
Apartment 42
Alexandria

The sound of Mulder's answer machine kicking in had brought his head around. He never picked up the phone, not wanting to advertise his presence but he always listened in on the call just in case. He moved closer to the phone the moment he recognised Mulder's voice, his hand hesitating as he reached for the handset. The message was brief and to the point... and Krycek went instantly on his guard, senses reaching out to encompass his surroundings. With silent, graceful movements he gathered up a few necessary possessions, pulled on Mulder's leather jacket and stepped into the kitchen. He took the spare gun from the drawer where it had been left for safe-keeping.

Cradling the Glock 9mm with silencer in his hand, he sat at the small table in a position that gave him a clear view of the only entrances yet afforded him some protection. Mulder's message had insinuated that the Consortium knew he was back in the States but whether or not they knew of his current location was another matter entirely. So he sat silently, gun resting on the table, fingers curled around the handle and trigger and waited for someone to show; hoping it would be only Mulder who came through the doorway.

Time passed slowly until the quiet click of a door being opened and then closed brought his head snapping up, his ears straining to hear soft footsteps. He smiled malevolently. There were three sets of footsteps so, unless Mulder had brought home some very quiet company, he knew to expect the worst.

The barrel of a gun came through the doorway first, the hand following was definitely male and, to Alex, easily identifiable by the coarse dark hairs and the single lucky charm hanging from the thick gold chain that dangled from the wrist. He recognised Roberts, one of Cancer Man's goons; a nasty sadistic piece of work who loved to torture his victims before carrying out a death sentence. Alex gave the man no time to take a bead on his position and shot where he knew the heart would be. The man tumbled forward into the kitchen, the single shot finding its target.

Wasting no time in admiring his handiwork, he jumped up and climbed through the kitchen window onto the fire escape. The street below was empty so he leapt down the metal stairway using the hand bars to control his flight, reaching the final landing in moments. Foregoing the retractable ladder, he leapt over the side, dangling for a moment before allowing his body to drop the remaining distance to the ground. He ran on, pausing at the entrance to the alley, head whipping around the corner to check for any other goons but the clatter of feet from the fire escape forced his hand and he stepped out of the alley, moving swiftly along the street.

The sound of a car pulling up close behind him sent him running hard, angling down another garbage strewn alleyway. He could hear the sound of pursuit as the car knocked aside trash cans and cardboard boxes. Krycek cursed when he saw the tall mesh fence ahead, shoved the Glock into his inside pocket and leapt, his fingers grasping the wire. He scrambled up, thankful he had spent so much time rebuilding the strength in both of his arms. Behind him he could hear the sound of a car door opening and running feet. A hand grabbed at his ankle, scraping against his booted foot and he kicked clear, making the top and swinging his body over, hoping the pursuers were too involved in their attempt to grab him to have weapons drawn. He dropped the 8 feet to the floor, landing awkwardly as a bullet zinged passed his side sending a sharp, burning through his body. Ignoring the pain, he gained his feet and ran. Behind him he could hear a deep male voice cussing.

"Put those fucking guns away! He said 'alive', you fools."

The booming voice was still audible as Alex high-tailed it down the alleyway. He heard the man order the others back to the car but knew at least one of CSM's goons had breached the fence and was on his tail.

Racing around the corner he encountered his first piece of luck. The street was crowded with people watching an altercation between the owners of two vehicles that had collided. Krycek dove into the small crowd of about 20 people and gradually made his way to the other side. Glancing back he could see Goon number 2 jumping up onto the base of a street lamp so he could see above the heads, narrowed eyes searching the crowd for his prey. Krycek pulled a baseball cap out of his pocket before slipping off his jacket, revealing a pale, green T-shirt, hoping he may have altered his appearance enough to fool the other man but there was something else he had been practising, something he had not yet shown Mulder... and now seemed the appropriate time to use this new found skill. It took a lot of concentration but, somehow, he managed to remould his features and shape, changing the colour of his hair and compacting his body to a slightly different configuration. CSM's man brushed right passed him, barely registering the stout, auburn-haired man with the startling green eyes. The man slapped his gun against his thigh and moved off, pushing his way through the crowd to a waiting dark sedan.

Krycek concentrated hard on maintaining his disguise as he watched the occupants exchange heated words before the other man clambered inside. A puff of blue smoke curling out through the slightly opened window told it's own story. The sedan took off slowly, the eyes of the three men inside glued to the outside scene, still searching for sign of their prey. Once the car drifted out of sight Krycek released the hold he had on his body and felt it ripple back into its true configuration. Ignoring the confused expression on the man closest to him, he headed back through the crowd the way he had come and ran quickly for the bus just pulling up to a stop. It didn't matter where it was going as long as it took him well away from the search area. He slumped into a seat by the exit, keeping his head lowered and breathed a sigh of relief as the bus picked up speed.
Lone Gunmen Headquarters
Washington DC

John Byers turned his head back. Through one swollen eye he could just make out the bound forms of his fellow gunmen. They had been foolish to return so soon; should have been a little more paranoid. The men who had captured them had been lying in wait; watching for any suspicious movement around the apartment. He watched one of the men wipe away the droplets of sweat beading on the man's forehead. This man had worked all of them over pretty good. Byers felt the trickle of blood running through the hairs of his beard from the split in his lip. So far none of them had given too much away, concentrating on telling a highly edited version of the truth... the version that left out the fact that there had been two more members of their little hacking party.

"Once more. Where did you get the address?"

The sound of metal hitting living flesh was only partially dampened by the low groan as Frohike's head snapped sideways from the blow. The assailant eased his fingers within the knuckle-dusters and reached out to grab Frohike by the hair in preparation for the next blow. Byers felt tears prickle at the back of his eyes; his friend was barely conscious and he wondered how many more blows any of them could take. A glance sideways showed that Langly was still out cold and Byers felt those tears spill over as he took in the mottled black and blue bruising on pale skin turned grey.

"Where did you get the address?"

The same question had been repeated over and over. At first none of them had made any form of answer but gradually the truth was trickling from their mouths.

Melvin Frohike coughed hard, splaying blood over his once clean white shirt. His mouth felt like it was on fire; the nerves in his teeth screaming at the abuse. His eyes slid over to capture the black and purple-rimmed blues of his fellow gunman. Byers could see the defeat written in Frohike's eyes and knew he had to act now or all the punishment they had withstood would have been for nothing.

"Don't hurt him anymore. It was me. I got the address."

The thugs let go of Frohike and turned towards the slightly built bearded man. The coldness in their eyes brought renewed fear and he swallowed noisily. It was hard to believe that less than Forty-eight hours ago they had been sitting in front of their beloved computers hacking away to merry hell with hardly a care in the world. Earlier, while the Goons had been occupied with Langly, Byers had calculated the time differentials and decided Mulder and Scully would have reached the mothership's co-ordinates by now. All he had to do was buy them a little more time... enough time for Mulder to search the ship for Alex.

"It's a program. I created it. It-it manufactures possible IP addresses... and-and then tries to connect up. If," he cleared his throat, "if the address points to... to a server then it stores the details. We..." Byers head indicated the other two Gunmen, "we check out those addresses manually to see if there's anything interesting..."

He trailed off as the man approached him, reaching out a hand to lightly slap his cheek in an almost friendly gesture.

"There. That wasn't so bad now, was it?"

It took a painful amount of control to keep the relief from showing in his eyes. The man believed him. He really believed him. Byers felt his face go slack with realisation as the man withdrew a handgun and carefully began to screw a silencer to the end of the barrel. He swallowed and pulled a wan smile to his lips. It appeared he had believed him all too well. The smile deepened. It seemed they had bought Mulder time... with their lives.

xx

2630 Hegal Place
Apartment 42
Alexandria

Waiting.... how he hated waiting. He could be a patient man when necessary but fear for Alex set him pacing through the apartment. Mulder threw himself onto the ancient leather couch, his head bouncing back as it hit the upright. The sun had begun to set behind the tall buildings opposite and Mulder watched the shadows lengthen across the floor until the room was lit only by the light from the fish tank.

Silence... the apartment seemed so silent to him now. He could still hear the muted sounds of life beyond his four walls, the whispers of television sets, the soft footfalls of people moving through the corridors but these were not the sounds he had become accustomed to. He strained to hear the sound of Alex pottering in the kitchen making coffee, the rustle of paper as Alex turned the pages in a book, magazine or newspaper. That made him smile. He'd never thought of Alex being a bookworm but the man seemed to soak up the written word and never seemed more relaxed than when he had his nose deeply buried in a book. The latest title lay discarded upon the low coffee table. Mulder reached for it, turning the battered paperback over in his hands before placing it back onto the table. He glanced towards the door... nothing... no-one.

Other remembered sounds filled his mind and he cocked his head as if the memory alone could bring them back. He missed the soft grunting breaths as Alex pushed himself to complete the punishing fitness regime... and the gentle humming that seemed to follow Alex around the apartment. It was hard to believe a man who had spent so many years on the run could make so much noise and, many a time, Mulder had stood outside the bathroom door listening to the surprisingly good tenor voice that floated above the spray of the shower while the vision of an angel in Krycek's form danced through his mind.

Mulder flicked on the reading lamp and watched as the encroaching darkness was pushed back into the corners of the room. In only a few short weeks Alex Krycek had brought his own form of light into Mulder's life. He had quickly grown used to the ready smile that greeted him each morning; the arms that reeled him in, soothing away the tension of another wasted day; the soft lips that would claim his own, sucking gently, tongue probing delicately... and those clever fingers... ten clever fingers... that would ease the constricting tie and push the jacket from his shoulders when he came home.

It was hard to believe the gentleness, the sensuality of the man when all he had seen before was a hardened assassin. Hard to believe those pure notes that filled the air in song could deepen to a husky, sexy voice full of lust and need. His eidetic memory mapped the strong body; the wide shoulders, the smooth almost hairless chest; the silky softness of inner thigh beneath his fingertips.

"Alex... where the hell are you?"

The darkness seemed to encroach once more, filling his mind as well as his sight until....

A soft voice was crooning nearby and he could hear the rustle of paper, of pages being turned in a book. Mulder smiled.

"Alex?"

He rolled over and sat up, glancing across to the easy chair where Alex liked to sit with his legs tucked up beneath him. Sunlight streamed across the room, reflecting off the radiant smile and dancing green eyes. He couldn't remember crossing the room but didn't care. Everything he wanted was here. His fingers carded through the long strands of mahogany, mesmerised by the red-gold shimmering in the brightness. His fingers were captured and brought to a kiss-ripened mouth. A glint of white between those pink lips held him motionless as first one finger and then another was drawn into that velvet cavern. Soft vibrations against the sensitive tips as Alex moaned in delight. His fingers were released and a husky voice breathed his name over and over. Mulder closed his eyes as licks of energy traversed the length of his body.

I'm in heaven...

The thought was reinforced by the soft notes of a harp...

His eyes opened suddenly and he gasped into a darkened room. A quick check on the illuminated display of the VCR showed that several hours had passed; he had fallen asleep on the couch. Mulder cocked his head to one side, trying to capture any sense of what had awoken him and then it registered. He moved quickly to the PC set up on his desk and checked. He had mail; the soft harp music announcing the arrival of a single message.

Shaking off the remnants of his dream, Mulder opened the message... 'Dusk 'til dawn'. He frowned at the cryptic words and then it clicked. Moments later he had grabbed his coat, keys and gun and was striding to the door.

xx

Somewhere on the Waterfront
Washington DC

When Mulder was certain he had not been followed he turned towards a seamier part of the city near the waterfront. Eventually he found himself standing beside a small booth at the back of a seedy bar, his eyes raking the slightly bedraggled figure of his lover. Mulder reached forward and grabbed the collar of the leather jacket, pulling Krycek out of his seat. A sharp incline of his head towards the back of the bar indicated his intent.

Alex followed him into the surprisingly clean washroom, his eyes widening in surprise when Mulder turned suddenly and grabbed him once more; forcing him into one of the private compartments. He was pushed onto the closed toilet seat as Mulder twisted round to close the door and bolt it.

Mulder dropped to his knees in front of his lover, simultaneously parting the muscular thighs so he could wrap his arms under the leather and around the strong torso. He sighed against Krycek's chest, oblivious to the slight wince as he listened to the steady beat of his lover's heart thrumming beneath him. Slowly, he matched his own erratic breathing to the rise and fall of the chest. Fingers dragged through his hair and he felt the whisper touch of a kiss on the top of his head.

"I missed you too."

Krycek felt the chuckle that shook the body pressed against his own. Gradually, Mulder pulled back, tilting his head so he could gaze into his love's stormy-green eyes. Those eyes fluttered closed as Alex leaned forward taking his mouth in a gentle kiss of reassurance. Mulder tightened his grip as Krycek moved to pull away, the gentleness fading as all the fear of the last few hours possessed him. He crushed his lips against their counterpart, forcing them to open and welcome the blunt invader that licked and probed the heated interior. A tremor reverberated through their joining as Alex moaned in desire.

Alex's eyes opened to slivers as a hand insinuated its way between their close pressed bodies. He felt the fingers deftly pop the button and then slide down the zip of his jeans. Mulder released his mouth, his hands urging the younger man to wriggle slightly so he could free the burgeoning erection.

A wicked smile dashed across the agent's face, the tip of his tongue teasing beneath the foreskin before he bent to deep-throat the rigid shaft. Above him he heard Krycek gasp as Mulder took up a strong sucking rhythm. One hand on his hip preventing him from bucking into the hot mouth. He threw back his head and bit down hard into the side of his own hand to stop the whimpers turning into screams as the intense pleasure peaked, short-circuiting his brain.

Mulder swallowed greedily, trying to capture every last drop of the bitter ejaculate before he released the softening organ, his lust-filled gaze drinking in the exposed column of throat. After an eternity had passed, Alex tipped his head back down, eyes still tightly closed, breathing still heavy and erratic but slowly coming back under control. When the heavy lids finally opened, there was barely a glimmer of green around the dilated pupils and Mulder believed he had never seen anything more beautiful than that sweat-sheened, satiated, angelic face.

Gentle fingers caressed his cheek, stopping at the corner of his mouth to pick up a spilt droplet. Mulder watched as Alex licked the droplet from his own finger. He grinned up at the still stunned expression and rose to his feet. With quick movements he dropped his pants. Alex leaned forward and pressed his mouth against the cotton covered bulge, the pressure eliciting a stronger response as the tumescent flesh grew harder still. Alex pulled down the briefs to release the circumcised head, his tongue darting out to flick across the sensitive glans, his teeth softly grazing the sensitive skin before he opened his mouth to take in the engorged flesh.

Mulder sighed in frustration as the gentleness continued. He rocked his hips, hoping to coax Alex into a stronger rhythm but the teasing went on. Ever so gradually, a slow, burning sensation curled in his belly, slowly radiating outwards. His limbs felt heavy, soft and languorous as the heat spread to the very tips of his fingers and toes. When annihilation came he felt as if he had been momentarily suspended in time and space before a wave of passion rolled over him, crashing him back down to Earth in a torrent of ecstasy.

His knees buckled and he was grateful for the strong arms that supported him until he could regain control. Alex stood up, closely pressed against him in the restrictive compartment as they shared the taste of each other in a deep but gentle kiss.

They froze at the sound of someone stumbling into the washroom, waited, motionless as statues until the man finished relieving himself and stumbled back out into the bar, both breathing a sigh of relief that the man had been too drunk to notice two pairs of feet beneath the compartment door.

"We oughta go back out."

"Yeah."

Mulder unbolted the door and headed for the urinal. He followed Alex out a few minutes later and slid into the seat opposite his lover. They stared at each other for a moment, suddenly at a loss for words. Mulder cleared his throat.

"So. How did you know I'd remember this place?"

Krycek smiled. They had come here once while partners following up a lead on a drugs case. He had relied on Mulder's eidetic memory to make the connection when reading the cryptic email he had sent. Mulder frowned when he realised Alex was not going to answer that particular question, instead, Alex hailed the barman.

"What happened, Alex?"

Krycek waited until they had a drink in front of them before he related what had happened at the apartment after Mulder's warning. His eyes were guarded as he mentioned killing one of the uninvited guests, watching the play of emotions across the all too expressive face.

"Did you recognise any of them?"

Krycek exhaled sharply. "Of course. They were the Smoker's men. The one I killed worked with me on a couple of assignments. Name of Roberts." He looked deeply into the hazel eyes. "I don't regret killing him. He was a nasty piece of work. Got better than he deserved... certainly better than he dished out."

Mulder looked away. It was one of the few things he had yet to reconcile with Alexei Krycek. Alex had killed although, once more, it may have been in self-defence. However, there was still one part of Krycek's story that did not ring true.

"I don't understand how they could have walked right past you."

It was time to explain the extra gift the Englishman had bestowed upon him. He gazed deep into the worried, quizzical eyes and took a deep breath.

"A new arm wasn't the only thing I got."

Krycek willed his features to change, the concentration needed making him miss the incredulous look that spread across his lover's features. Alex looked back from a new visage into the wide-eyed, astonished look, held the new configuration for a moment longer and then let go until it was the dark-haired, angelic face that Mulder knew so well staring back.

"Anything else you haven't told me?"

Krycek shook his head slowly. "Not that I know of." He took a sip of the cool beer, licked his lips and replaced the glass on the table top. "Now it's your turn. Why the warning?"

Mulder related the sequence of events that started with the arrival of the manila envelope. He pulled copies of the seven Missing Persons reports from his coat pocket and spread them out on the table. Picking up the first, he handed it to Alex, waiting for a reaction.

A frown deepened the crease over the bridge of Krycek's nose as he stared at a face so similar to his own.

"Scully did some digging... found some personal information on each of the victims... and I got the Gunmen to correlate any unusual paranormal activity occurring at the time of the disappearances."

The frown turned to puzzlement until Mulder held up the pieced together document from Spender's trash bin and placed it alongside Michael Anacek's report.

"Colonists?"

"Who else. What I can't understand is why... and that's why I want you to lie low. Skinner may have refused me official permission to investigate but he doesn't control my own time. Scully's agreed to spend the weekend in Barter's Grove."

"The woman needs a life of her own," Krycek muttered under his breath, eyes downcast so he missed the beaming smile generated by his statement.

"Are you jealous?"

"No! No... envious. I would rather you were spending the weekend with me."

"I know. Me too."

Alex looked away in embarrassment. This was still all too new to him. He was still expecting to wake up and find it was all just an elaborate dream... a beautiful dream, admittedly, but still just a dream. He covered his embarrassment by picking up one of the other reports.

"I'll take this one."

When Mulder made no sound, Alex glanced backup to find warring emotions flitting across those expressive eyes. Mulder began to shake his head.

"No. It's too dangerous. What if this is a trap? A way of getting you out into the open."

Green eyes softened as Mulder's concern for his well-being washed over him. It had been a long time since someone cared enough to want him safe. Most of those who had helped him over the years had not done it out of the kindness of their hearts; they were fulfilling their own hidden agendas, expecting a return for the favour.

"I can't just sit around twiddling my thumbs..." He smiled, his eyes darting down to the new hand, "... no matter how enjoyable the sensation. I can help here, Mulder. I can go places you can't; talk to people who would kill you before you could ask the first question."

Mulder relented.

"Okay. But keep in touch... somehow."

"Perhaps that's what we need to talk about next."

They spent the remainder of time at the seedy bar setting up a communications system that would enable Mulder to get messages to Alex and vice versa. It was not perfect but it was the best they could do under the circumstances. The method was not secure. Using the internet never was but a series of passwords would, hopefully, ensure no-one could send a message that could lead either into a trap.

The parting was painful. Had it only been two weeks since Alex had become such a major part of his life? It seemed as if they had spent years together and Mulder knew he would miss those strong arms wrapped around him as they drifted into sleep. He would miss the beautiful smile that greeted him first thing in the morning.

With one last look Mulder climbed into the cab he had called from the bar.

xx

A large shadow detached itself from the darkened side of the building. He had backed off when he saw Fox Mulder walking towards the exit having previously maintained a good view of the interior through the grimy window. His square jaw set into a close-mouthed smile as he watched the unsuspecting human climb into the back of a cab and head off into the distance.

Following the son of William Mulder to this place had been so easy. Mulder had taken no notice of the man who followed him to the bus-stop; had walked pass the mature woman who had taken a seat two rows in front. He had barely even glanced at the series of men and women who followed him from bus to subway to bus to taxi as he took a circuitous route to this bar.

The Bounty Hunter was used to following a trail as convoluted as this one and Fox Mulder had not disappointed him as he shadowed the human to this seamier part of the city. He had gambled that the FBI agent would eventually lead him to his true quarry. He had waited patiently outside the seedy bar watching the two figures through the dirtied window pane, pleased that his gamble had paid off. The Smoker wanted this other human, had already tried to retrieve him without success.

Want. A strange human word with various shades of meaning. Want. To wish to acquire. Want... to desire sexually.

Yes. The Smoker desired this young human but it wasn't a healthy kind of 'want'. Not that he cared. He had been given a task and, soon, he would fulfil it. The Bounty Hunter felt a momentary stab of annoyance. He resented having to do these pathetic little tasks for these pathetic little humans but his orders were quite clear. His service was part of the 'deal' made between the Consortium and his own people, the Colonists.

After the cab had disappeared from view he returned to his previous watching place. He smiled when he saw the dark-haired human rise from his seat near the back of the bar. Following Mulder had not been a challenge despite the Agent's wariness but this human seemed to have an acute sixth sense. Somehow, he was able to see through all the disguises. The Bounty Hunter wondered if this was a throwback to the time when the human had been taken over by one of his immature brethren or whether the years on the run had heightened his senses in the name of self-preservation. Whichever, he knew he would have to be quick to capture the human, using the element of surprise. He watched as Alexei Krycek shrugged on the leather jacket and made his way towards the back of the bar. The Bounty Hunter frowned. He had checked out the building and there was only one other exit but the human was not moving towards it. His mouth quirked up in one corner as he realised the human's destination. He waited, expecting to see Krycek walk back out of the washroom anytime.

The sound of a motor bike engine being gunned brought another frown and he raced around the side of the building in time to see the familiar figure speed off. With an almost human sigh he turned back, spotting the partially opened window at the back of the building. This time Krycek had gotten away but there would be another time.

xx

TarlanX@aol.com

Part 2

7th April 2000
TarlanX@aol.com
http://chaelyndra.com/nicklea/fiction
SPOILER WARNING: Anything up to and including aspects of Biogenesis.
RATING: NC-17
CONTENT WARNING: m/m sex and some swearing. If this isn't your scene then don't bother reading on—you know where the DELETE key is. You have been warned. By the way, in my universe Mulder is not colour-blind in the slightest... I believe he made that up! Also, this story diverges from the series after FTF so should be considered AU from that point forward.
CLASSIFICATION: X SERIES: Sequel to 'Waiting For The Axe To Fall'.
COMMENTS: Thanks, as always, to Aqualegia for all the encouragement, advice and beta reading... and for being such a good friend. Thanks also to Sue (aka Dr Ruthless) who stepped into the breach and provided additional beta comments. Also, thank you to Ayanna K, Erika and Rowanne who kindly offered to help. I may call upon you next time Any and all comments gratefully received—as long as they're constructive.
PLEASE FEED ME!! Even a 'YEP, I READ IT' is gratefully received! Proves I didn't release the story into a vacuum! Note: Flames will be circulated around and posted to several lists so we can all have a good laugh at your expense... I mean, why should I have all the fun!
SUMMARY: CSM's obsession leads Alex into mortal danger.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: The final m/m scene was greatly inspired by the beautiful artwork of The Theban Band'Bath' in particular. Thank you Ned and Leny. You will find their wonderful artwork on 'The Red and the Black' site (RatB). See url above.
DEDICATION: To Karen-Leigh... and Tiptoe the RAT (no matter what Ty says!) Thank you for giving me the incentive to finish writing this sequel. I do hope you think it was worth the wait and the effort!

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]