Walking The Razor's Edge
Part 2



Saturday Night
Barter's Grove

The multi-coloured lights and strobes brought back memories of Oxford where he and some of the other undergraduates would charge into one of the small discotheque-pubs every Saturday night, spending the evening doing the inane things prevalent to most young males on the prowl. He had met Phoebe Green on one of those outings; had fallen for her dark, patrician looks and her sharp intellect, ignoring the advice of friends who said she was a class-A bitch. For two years she had used and abused him until he finally decided to start defending himself... then she had dropped him in favour of another 'sap'. It was years later that he was able to take a step back and analyse their doomed relationship and her need to control every situation. He grimaced. Shame he had not turned that psychoanalyst 'shit' upon himself. Maybe then he might have avoided falling into the clutches of yet another dark-haired, manipulating, class-A bitch; Diana Fowley. His introspection ended with a sharp dig of an elbow into his side. He looked down to find Scully glaring at him.

"Why are we here?"

Scully mouthed the words, not even attempting to shout above the sound of the Juke box which was playing a recent Cher hit... very loudly.

"Because..."

Mulder gave up, forced to resort to sign language. He pointed across the interior to an empty table at the far end of the bar. He and Scully gently pushed their way across the dance floor through the sweaty, gyrating bodies. They flopped into the chairs in relief. Back here it was a little quieter. They gave the waitress their order and scanned the crowd until the drinks arrived.

Scully took a sip of her tequila sunrise as she waited to see what her partner was going to do next. Mulder picked up his own drink and began to take a gulp of the cold Bud; smacking his lips in appreciation.

"That hits the spot, Scully."

That well-sculptured eyebrow rose again in disdainful resignation. She rolled her eyes away, wondering for the nth time why she was sitting in a noisy bar on a Saturday night in a dead-end town while the rest of that raunchy Jackie Collins novel was waiting for her at home.

"Hey, Scully. Was that a Jackie Collins novel in your bathroom?"

Her startled eyes turned back to him, suddenly pleased about the lack of decent lighting which would conceal the blush that heated her cheeks.

Damn!! How does he do that?

She remembered him asking to use the bathroom when he picked her up early this morning and knew his photographic memory had probably taken a snapshot of what he seen... but how did he time it so well? How did he manage to pick the exact thought from her brain?

"Deduction, Scully. You looked like you had something far better to do on a Saturday night... and having a half-read novel by the bath tub after your previous comment about going home for a bath and tequila..."

"Okay. Okay. I'll admit that I enjoy your company, Mulder, but there are times and places. As I said before... Why are we here?"

Mulder gave her that all-knowing grin, gulped down the remainder of the beer and beckoned to the waitress. When she arrived he held out a twenty dollar bill, holding on tight as she tried to take it, bringing her head down close to his.

"I'm looking for Paul Bright."

The waitress straightened and then pointed to a flamboyant looking man dressed in a red suede jacket, pale silk shirt and pale slacks.

"Keep the change."

She smiled her thanks for the huge tip and walked away. Mulder motioned for Scully to stay seated as he unfolded his long frame from the chair and made his way across the room to the Pimp.

"Hey, there! I'm looking for a man..."

The Pimp eyed Mulder, noting the expensive watch.

"Well, you've come to the right place. There's plenty around here to choose from..."

"No. Not just any man. This one was about my height. Dark hair, green eyes. Went by the name of Michael. He... provided a service last time I was in town. Thought I'd look him up again."

The Pimp's expression went from suspicious to lewd as he took in the ring on Mulder's left hand. He was well acquainted with married men who used business trips to indulge in their passion for other men, leaving the little wife at home and oblivious.

"So who's the broad?"

"Work colleague."

The man eyed Scully suspiciously but he smiled, acknowledging the boredom in her expression. Only a work colleague would be brought to a dump like this... never a wife.

"Well, I can't help you. Michael found himself a sugar daddy. Left me high and dry—except for my other studs. Hey, Leon! Come on over and say hello to..."

Mulder held up a hand.

"No... I was kinda only interested in Michael. My type. You know what I mean?"

Mulder gave a sly wink and felt sickened by the man's counter expression of camaraderie. Leon approached seductively. Mulder wanted to shrug off the arm that draped around his waist but this Leon was quite a big guy... not someone to mess with.

"Who was this 'sugar daddy'?"

"You're mighty interested in Michael... Are you a Cop?"

"No... it's just... Michael looks a lot like someone I knew... and..."

The man smirked.

"Substitute meat, hey! Well, have no idea who the man was. Older guy, greying. Smoked a lot. Now, unless you're interested in finding another substitute soul mate..." The man's eyes trailed over Mulder's athletic body lewdly. "... or joining my stable?" The man leered. "Guy as good looking as you could make a lot of money..."

"No. Thanks."

Mulder turned away and walked back passed the table, surreptitiously motioning for Scully to follow. She grabbed his arm and steered him off in a more circuitous route to the exit. They didn't stop moving until Mulder was safely behind the wheel of his car with Dana beside him.

"We made it out of there in good time. I saw Agents Harris and Davidson from Skinner's department on the far side of the bar."

Mulder pursed his lips feeling, suddenly, a little perturbed. He thought he had made a grave mistake going to Skinner; thought the man would ignore his theory connecting the seven missing men but, instead, Skinner had kept his word and assigned some agents to the case.

"Did they see us?"

"No... I don't believe so. Anyway, what did you find out?"

"It appears Michael was last seen in the company of someone older, greyer... who smoked a lot. Ring any bells, Scully?"

xx

Same Time
An Alleyway behind a bar Detroit

Alex shoved the man up against the wall, forcing the gun under the ribs into the soft abdomen as his forearm pressed hard against the man's windpipe.

"The only blow job you're gonna get is from this gun... when I blow you away. You know, I don't care for your kind. You're trash... lower than trash. So... Are you gonna tell me what I want to know? Or are you gonna die?"

The loan shark shook, terrified by the ferocity of the assault, by the feral gleam in the narrowed green eyes.

"Yes... Okay, I'll talk. Please."

The man croaked pleadingly and then sagged when Krycek removed his arm but not the gun.

"Davey owed some people some money. He liked to gamble; borrowed some off me to pay his debts. Believe me, I'm not such an ogre... not like some of the big boys."

"Stop snivelling."

"Yes. Sure. Okay. Last I saw of him he said he'd figured out a way to pay me off."

"How?"

The man licked his lips and gave a pathetic leer.

"You know... by doing that. Personal services."

"Personal services to whom?"

"Look. I don't know any more. Jeez, it was years ago... Okay. Okay." The man cried out as Krycek's dug the gun in hard. "I only saw the go-between; the driver. A man who would be in his mid-thirties now; a blondie."

"What about the man he was chauffeuring?"

"I didn't see him. He kept to the shadows in the car. Chain smoker though."

Krycek released the man abruptly, pushing him aside.

"Get out of here."

He watched as the man scurried away down the alleyway, constantly looking back over his shoulder as if certain a bullet would be winging its way the moment his back was turned. When the man had disappeared around the corner, Alex took off in the other direction, heading back to the nondescript hotel room. On the way he saw something very, very useful.

Krycek was grateful for the rise in the internet café market. He slipped into a seat near the back where he could keep an eye on all the patrons and on the door. He logged on under a little known username; the one he had asked Mulder to contact if anything happened. It took a few minutes but he spent the time sipping the strong black coffee brought over by the young waitress. Eventually, he located the message board. Krycek pursed his lips. Mulder wanted to meet; had given a location. He checked his watch and calculated how long it would take him to reach the rendezvous. There was still time but staying here any longer was not a great idea. He had no idea if the Smoker knew of this particular internet ID but was not willing to take the chance.

He took a last gulp of coffee, replaced the cup and slipped a few dollars under the saucer. Moments later he was putting as much distance between himself and the café as he could... just in case. He paid his hotel bill in cash, not wanting to use any of his various credit cards in case they were being monitored.

Krycek shoved his meagre belongings under the pillion of the bike and set off back towards DC. As he rode, he thought... and the more he thought, the more he became convinced that there was more to these disappearances that met the eye. He had a theory and Mulder was not gonna like it one bit.

xx

Saturday Night
Barter's Grove

Agent Harris shoved his FBI ID card at the barman, motioning towards the similar wallet being displayed by his partner, Davidson. The barman snarled in annoyance and jerked an arm out towards the back of the bar where Paul Bright still held court amongst a small group of people.

The man eyed the approaching agents suspiciously. He recognised 'law enforcement'; prided himself on being able to smell a cop a mile away. He pushed the pretty young man hanging onto his arm aside brusquely as FBI identities were held in front of his face.

"And to what do I owe the pleasure..."

"Don't worry, sir. We're not here to arrest you. Agent Harris and myself are investigating the disappearance of a Michael Anacek..."

"You and everyone else."

"I'm sorry, Sir? Have there been other enquiries?"

"Yeah... in fact you just missed someone asking the whereabouts of Mikey. You know what, I'll tell you the same thing I told him. Mikey ran out on me. Got himself a Sugar Daddy; Older guy, chain smoker from what I could see."

"What about the other guy?"

"What other guy?"

"The one who was just asking about..."

"Oh him. Look, he was just some out-of-towner looking for a rematch..."

"Humour me. Give me a description."

"Tall, good-looking white boy. Wouldn't expect him to have to pay for sex. He had a broad with him. A lovely petite red-head. Looked pretty pissed off being dragged to a dump like this."

Harris gave a nod to Davidson and the other agent went off, checking through the bar for a couple who fitted that description.

"Could you identify this older man..."

"No. Only ever saw his hand and a brief flash when he lit up the next cigarette. Now, unless you plan on charging me with something..."

Harris closed his notepad with a terse smile. He was surprised to have gained this much information out of the man and decided not to push his luck any further.

"Thank you, Sir. You've been very helpful."

He circled through the bar, meeting his fellow agent on the other side. A shake of the head and the grim set mouth showed a lack of success. They checked with the doorman, discovered a couple matching that description had left several minutes earlier. Harris wrote down the details in his notebook and they headed back to their car.

xx

Another Seedy Bar
Washington DC

Although he could see Mulder seated at a table near the back of the bar, Krycek waited and watched from the shadows. He saw Mulder check his watch for the third time, recognised the worry that tightened the full lips but some sixth sense was screaming at him to stay back. He felt uneasy but, apart from a few well-soused customers and the bar staff there was no-one else around. Years on the run had taught him to take the tingle that raised the hairs on the back of his neck seriously but, eventually, the need to gaze into those beautiful blue-gold eyes overpowered his survival instincts. He sauntered forward and, with another surreptitious look around the near-empty bar, he slid into the seat opposite his lover.

"About time!" The relief on Mulder's face was just as evident in the soft voice.

"Miss me?"

"Always."

Krycek lowered his eyes away in embarrassment. He was not used to having people admit they worried for him and he'd spent too many years making sure no-one got close enough to care; pushing away anyone who tried. So how did Mulder manage to squeeze passed the barriers he had erected? How had this man managed to succeed where all the others had failed? And there had been others, enticed by a pretty face and a good body. Krycek gave an inward sneer. Oh yes, he knew he was good looking; had used it to his advantage many a time. Thoughts of Marita Covarrubias crossed his mind as he remembered using sex as a means of gaining her co-operation and assistance in escaping Russia with the boy. She had been good between the sheets; a she-cat whose nails left scratch marks down his back... and she had not been repelled by his prosthesis. If anything, he believed it might have turned her on all the more; giving her the controlling edge in their encounter.

Bitch!

"Alex?"

Krycek looked up into the worried face.

"It's okay. Just a trip down memory lane... and talking of trips, how did yours turn out?"

Mulder eyed him suspiciously; recognising an attempt to move away from whatever thoughts had occupied his lover's mind for that brief moment in time. The temptation to dig in his heels and force Alex to expose those thoughts was strong. He wanted to know everything about this man; every thought; every memory. He wanted to soothe every hurt; laugh with him at every good time; give comfort for every bad time. He wanted to possess this man, body and soul. Alex was like a drug; a growing addiction and some of that obsession must have shown in his eyes but, instead of being frightened, an equal measure of ferocity and obsession darkened the green eyes. Eventually, Mulder broke the hold they had on each other as he described his encounter with Paul Bright; Anacek's pimp.

"Older man, greying... heavy smoker. If I was a betting man then my money would be placed on a certain cancerous bastard." Mulder sat back in his seat. "What did you find out?"

"Same thing. Last seen with an older man... chain smoker."

"I don't understand it. All those men disappeared without a trace. Even Cancer Man's goons couldn't have mistaken all of them for you..." Mulder paused as a strange look came over his lover's face. "What is it?"

"It is me."

Krycek looked away at the puzzled expression. It was time to shake another skeleton from his closet, to expose the theory that would make or break their relationship.

"When I was first recruited, I was a little green. I had this idea that I was going to save the world and I... I kinda idolised the man who recruited me."

Mulder noticed the blush that swept across the averted features, tingeing even the tips of the slightly pointed ears but the thinned lips showed it was due to more than just embarrassment... and then it hit. He remembered Alex telling him that he had been recruited by the Smoking Man so...

"You had a crush on Cancer Man?"

The incredulous tone brought Krycek's head spinning back until their eyes met. The chagrined expression told the rest of the story and Mulder felt his heart stop cold.

"You slept with him?" No answer except a slight pursing of lips. "You fucked that cancer-ridden bastard?"

Krycek's eyes slid away from the accusing glare, darting around to check no-one had heard the slightly raised voice. His thoughts were a whirl. Should he tell Mulder that it had been more than a one-night stand? That he had been at the Smoking Man's beck and call for years before his assignment to work with FBI Special Agent Fox William Mulder had opened his eyes to the truth. The look on Fox Mulder's face told him that this was one subject that needed to be brought out into the open or any future they might have together would be lost.

"I think this is one of those times when you need to stop and listen before passing judgement."

He paused and sighed at the implacable posture Mulder had taken with arms folded, lips a thin line and eyes glaring in anger. Was it even worth trying? Something inside told him to start talking knowing that Mulder would hear even if he wasn't prepared to deal with it right now.

"I was young... impressionable. I believed him. Believed in what he said we were doing... that it was for our country." Krycek looked imploringly at the man who meant more to him than life itself, pleading with Mulder to understand how naive he had been. "It wasn't lust and it certainly wasn't love. I can't explain. Hell, you're the psychologist." He paused but Mulder made no effort to relent. "The first time... I let him seduce me. It was a power thing. This... this... powerful man being at my mercy. Then, as time went by, it became a force of habit, climbing into his bed whenever he commanded like a good little soldier, afraid of the consequences if I said 'No'."

Krycek looked deep into the cold eyes, hoping to see some sign of a thaw.

"That night on Skyland Mountain, when Duane Barry handed Scully over to... them. That's when the last embers of my innocence flickered and died. Watching you climb out of the cable car, terrified you would fall. The next time he requested my... personal services I said 'no'. After that events just seemed to spiral out of control and I wasn't surprised when I found myself siting on top of a car bomb."

Mulder unfolded his arms and placed his hands flat on the table. Now the initial shock had worn off he could understand how someone... how Alex... could get suckered into a relationship with that man but he wasn't ready to deal with it. He needed time to think. He closed his eyes to shut out the pleading green eyes but opened them again quickly. Mulder leant forward.

"Okay. This is something we're gonna have to talk about... another time... but you still haven't explained why these look alikes have disappeared."

Krycek's eyes dropped to the table top, finding his hands far too interesting. He licked suddenly dry lips and cleared his throat before looking back up. His voice was so soft Mulder had to strain to hear the words above the sound of the juke box.

"He wants me back."

"He... what?" His eyes opened wide in confusion, capturing his lover's. Krycek swallowed hard, cleared his throat again and then repeated the words more firmly.

"He wants me back. He wants me to go back to him."

Mulder frowned, wondering how Alex could make such a connection, suddenly aware that there was something else Alex had not told him. He was about to ask when that final scene at BioTechnics with Cancer Man took on a whole new light...


"Oh, I think you know, Alex. Don't tell me you haven't told Mr Mulder about our 'relationship'"

"We have no relationship."

"Don't we?"

Mulder remembered being confused by the interplay between his new lover and his old enemy. At the time he had wondered what game Cancer Man was playing, wondered whether Alex was more than just a subordinate. The Consortium had seemed so... incestuous. He had considered the possibility that Alex was related to the Smoking Man, biologically, and had intended to ask later but events had spiralled out of control. At the time he had tried to defuse the situation by addressing the clones whose weapons were trained on him and Alex but it was Cancer Man who had replied...

"So which one of you is the real Martha Hudson?"

"Neither. She outlived her usefulness... just as you have outlived yours... unless Alex can persuade me otherwise."

He closed his eyes, sick to the stomach as the thought of Alex in that bastard's arms filled him with disgust. Disgust at Alex for ever having been so naive; disgust at Cancer Man for taking advantage of an idealistic young man... and disgust at himself for having something else in common with that man. As much as he needed to deny it, they both wanted Alex Krycek and, if Alex was right, then Cancer Man was involved in these disappearances... but would the older man be willing to kill for what he wanted? A thought flashed through his head like lightning, stunning him. Would he be willing to kill for Alex? The iciness that stabbed at his heart at the start of this revelation thawed. Yes. He'd kill for Alex; he would die for Alex.

With his mind no longer clouded by anger the answer to his original question became apparent. These men had paid the price for looking like Alexei Krycek but as substitutes rather than as the result of mistaken identity. Only one question remained. Why did these men disappear? Perhaps they became the Smoker's companion... until he grew bored with them or until he resented the fact that they were not his Alex. Mulder had no illusion as to what had become of them once the Smoker had grown tired of them. He was not the type of person to leave himself open to personal attack or blackmail. It seemed Cancer Man might have a lot more blood on his hands than Mulder had previously assumed but there was only one way to find out. Somehow, he had to find enough evidence so he could confront the man.

Another thought occurred. Michael Anacek disappeared just over a week ago; maybe he was still alive. But where should they start looking for him? Only one man of Mulder's acquaintance seemed to have an inside track on Cancer Man but Mulder was still uncertain whether he could place his trust in AD Walter Skinner.

Mulder glanced at his watch. It was well after midnight and he was expected back in the office in less than six hours. He reached out and placed his hand on top of Alex's. His body burned at the sight of that angelic face but the image of Cancer Man and Alex writhing together in sexual abandonment dampened the flame.

"I have to go. We will work it out, Alex. I'm positive. I just need time to think things through." After taking a quick glance around the bar to ensure no-one was watching, Mulder leant forward and placed a chaste kiss on the bowed lips. "Sit tight for a couple of days while I figure things out. I'll be in touch."

Mulder pulled on his coat and walked away, glancing back only once as he closed the door behind him. Krycek sighed and took another sip from the glass placed in front of him. He let his forehead drop onto his raised palms.

"At least he didn't shoot me on the spot."

His head came up fast as a bulky figure slid into the seat recently vacated by Mulder. Green eyes widened as they took in the square-jawed features of the alien morph. Trigger fast reactions took over as he swept the remainder of the beer into the creature's face, using the momentary blindness to make his escape. The morph came hurtling after him but Krycek grabbed one of the bar's customers and threw the man into the alien's path, hearing the curses and thump of a heavy body landing awkwardly behind him. His action bought him enough time to reach and start the bike. Moments later he was racing away at top speed. As soon as he had put some distance between them Alex pulled up. Abandoning the bike, he broke into the nearest car, jimmied the starter and was moving off at the fastest possible speed that would not draw unwelcome attention. Eventually, he turned onto the interstate heading northwards towards New York where he would lie low for a few days.

xx

The Bounty Hunter brushed dirt from his suit as he watched the red tail lights receding for the second time but, this time, he had come prepared, not willing to take any chances with this particular human. He climbed into the dark sedan and activated the tracker. A small red blip highlighted Krycek's position through the tracking bug placed under the pillion on the bike.

He frowned when he noticed the bike had remained stationary for several minutes. Moments later he turned a corner and found the abandoned bike. A smile broke across the normally bland face as the Hunter offered his silent respects to his cunning prey. As he walked back to his car the morph decided it was time to change the game plan. He had tried to keep clear of Fox Mulder, being under orders not to kill the son of William Mulder but that did not mean he could not hurt him a little.

xx

Monday Morning
FBI Headquarters, Washington DC

Mulder spent most of Monday morning expecting to be hauled into either Kersh or Skinner's office; had spent the whole of the previous day preparing a speech just for the occasion but, now, he was starting to relax.

Relax? If I read any more of these reports I'll be so damn relaxed they'll have to call the Paramedics to check I'm still breathing.

He started to make a paper aeroplane out of one of the many staff circulars that kept appearing on his desk having previously tossed the sheet aside in contempt.

"Scully? Do I look like the kind of guy who needs 'Assertiveness' training?"

Scully unfolded the paper airplane that landed on her desk and speed-read the article. She raised both eyebrows, scrunched up the paper and dropped it into her 'dead' file. A small sign of activity brought her head back up and she began to hum a few bars from her favourite sitcom 'Friends' as AD Kersh sauntered into the bullpen. Mulder took notice of their prearranged signal. He piled a few files over the top of the papers on his desk to hide the list of names and addresses that he had printed out earlier and picked up one of those boring reports, pretending that he had been engrossed in the latest acquisition request from some Tennessee farmer. His eyes widened in pleasure as he read the address, hardly believing his luck as his eidetic memory tagged the town name as being the same as that of the first victim.

"Hey, Scully. Check it out." He passed over the file. "I think we should pay Mr Markham a visit."

Scully frowned, wondering whether Mulder actually meant what he was saying—or whether it was just a show for their new boss who had just come into earshot. She handed back the file noncommittally.

"Something, Agents?"

Mulder looked up, almost in surprise as the smooth, chocolatey voice drifted over his shoulder. He knew AD Kersh was in the room but he hadn't expected the man to come so close. He certainly hadn't meant for his remark to be overheard. He looked up into dark, uncompromising eyes.

"Uh... yes. Mr Markham has made several purchases over the past..." He flicked through the report. "...seven months. More than I would deem necessary for the size of the farm. It might be worth a visit."

Kersh took the file from Mulder and scanned the top sheet. His lips pursed and he nodded his head slowly. It wasn't an exceptional amount but...

"Okay. Get onto it. I'll expect a full report this time tomorrow."

Mulder barely restrained himself from showing his surprise but, not being one to look a gift-horse in the mouth, he picked up the phone and started placing some calls.

xx

Markham Farm
Near Jackson, Tennessee

The slight breeze ruffled his hair as he stepped from the rental. Dana Scully looked across at her partner noticing the way his eyes were drawn to the fields of Timothy grass surrounding them. Thoughts of a similar field standing tall with ripening corn filled her mind but the farmhouse behind them bore no resemblance to the domed structures at the centre of that particular field. She pushed a stray lock of auburn hair back behind her ear.

"Mulder?"

He turned to face her, gradually losing that faraway look as hazel eyes locked with blue. The screech of a screen door opening caught their attention and they made their way towards the large-framed man dressed in faded blue jeans, white cotton T-shirt and red/brown checked shirt who stood waiting for them on the porch.

"Can I help you folks?"

"FBI Special Agent Fox Mulder... and this is my partner, Agent Dana Scully."

They both flashed their ID's waiting until the man had taken a good look before snapping the small leather wallets closed and restoring them to inside pockets. The man looked from one agent to the other in surprise.

"What can I do for you?"

Mulder put on his official smile.

"Just routine..."

One hour and several cups of coffee later they had learnt all there was to know about the usage the chemicals were being put to and yet Mulder felt strangely disturbed about... something. Something was not quite right; some answers delivered too smoothly as if quoted from a script.

"Do you keep bees?"

"Pardon?"

Scully turned surprise-widened eyes to her tall partner. Her own confusion matching that of the farmer.

"Bees. I noticed the jars on the side." Mulder indicated the row of neatly labelled jars filled with a golden syrup.

"Sure, but if your wondering about those killer bees then don't. They haven't been spotted this way... and I keep a close check on my queens, make sure no foreigners get into the hive."

Scully raised an eyebrow, understanding Mulder's line of questioning but amazed that he thought this small farm in the middle of nowhere could be linked to the Colonists. She knew the farmer was referring to the aggressive African strain that was gradually making its way north from South America where an accident had set them free but could not prevent a shiver as she remembered the bees in the white dome flying up through from the floor in a dense swarm... and her dash to reach safety. She also remembered that it was a bee sting that had introduced the Colonist DNA into her system. The memories following that incident were decidedly hazy but... she looked up at her partner's profile in tenderness... Mulder had not deserted her.

"If that's everything..."

Another official smile raised the corners of Mulder's lips.

"Sure." He turned away, heading for the door and then turned. "By the way, Mr Markham. Have you heard of a Martin Leighton?"

"The Leighton boy? Yes. That boy was bad news. Got mixed up with the wrong people. There was talk of drugs... of other unsavoury things. Then the boy just upped and disappeared."

"Were there any rumours about where he could have gone?"

The man's face froze; mouth thinned, eyes hardened.

"Jeff Leighton's a good friend of mine. His boy and mine used to play together. What that boy did broke his mother's heart."

"He's still listed as missing."

The Farmer paused as if debating something. Mulder watched the small war being played behind the man's sky-blue eyes. A decision was made, the features relaxing and Mulder knew he was about to learn something new.

"The night he disappeared old Frank Burrows spotted a fancy motor at the Griffin Motel down the roads away. Said he spotted the Leighton boy at the motel about the same time. Both motor and boy were gone by morning. Some round these parts say it was some rich man enticing the Leighton boy back to the city with him."

Mulder's breath came faster. There was no mention of a Frank Burrows in the Missing Person report.

"I'd like to talk to this Frank Burrows..."

"Can't. He died a few days later in the dangdest accident. Fell under the wheels of a combine. Chewed him up and spat him out."

Mulder nodded his head, eyes closing in frustration. If what he suspected was true then it had been no accident. Cancer Man had tried to be as thorough as ever, leaving no witnesses behind.

"Did he say anything else? Description of the car? The occupants?"

"He didn't see the man except from a distance. Older guy. Heavy smoker. That's all."

Mulder's eyes narrowed slightly. He could tell from the way Markham's eyes shifted that there was more.

"Sir, is there anything else you want to tell me?"

Markham opened his mouth then shut it quickly. He debated whether it would be wise to mention the strange activity occurring barely ten miles north of the farm; the unusual choice of Corn as a main crop; the black helicopters that sometimes flew over the farmhouse in the middle of the night. The official stance was it was some kind of research facility working on GM methods. Manipulating the genetics of foodstuff seemed all the rage these days and he'd heard strange tales of introducing fish DNA into tomatoes to preserve firmness. The Leighton boy had disappeared a few months after the strangers started to appear at the local motel. It was common knowledge that the owner of that fancy car had stayed at the motel several times... and the Leighton boy had been there every time... but no-one dared say that out loud. Even the Leighton's had become close-mouthed on the subject after someone had approached the Bank regarding Leighton's sizeable debt. Life around here was tough enough without having to worry about the Bank foreclosing on you.

"Nope. There's nothing more I can tell you."

"Thank you, Mr Markham."

"Sure thing."

Mulder drove several miles before pulling off the road. Ahead of them was the small town where Martin Leighton had gone to school, taken his first hit; where he had probably found his first client to help pay for his drug habit. The small motel where he had last been seen was several miles beyond. Mulder wondered whether they had any vacancies this night.

xx

Griffin Motel
Near Jackson, Tennessee

For the second night Mulder found himself alone in bed and he hated it... and then he hated himself for being so needful. How had Alexei Krycek become so important to him so fast? It was not that long ago that he thought he hated the man's guts... had sworn he would find something to ensure Krycek was put away for life. During those long weeks when he had remained uncertain as to Alex's fate at the hands of the Rebel Aliens he had spent many a night staring up at the ceiling trying to pinpoint the exact moment when hate had turned to love only to realise that it had always been love. He'd fallen for the geeky, green rookie with his slicked back hair and cheap suits. He had basked in the adoration he had found in those stormy-green eyes, letting down his guard in face of the innocence he thought was in front of him and Krycek had seeped through his lowered defences gradually entwining himself around his heart, invading his thoughts and his dreams. It was the seeming betrayal that had smothered that fledgling love with hate and it was the truth, finally offered... finally believed, that had banished the hatred revealing the emotions buried so deeply, offering those emotions up to the light. Yet still this did not explain the depth of emotion he felt for the other man. It did not explain why he missed Alex with every fibre of his being.

His hand reached out to stroke the mattress beside him. Fingers met cold sheets and he sighed as he visualised the strong, warm body that had lain beside him these past few weeks. His photographic mind provided images; thick, sable hair framing a face softened in sleep, sweet lips parted showing a hint of perfect, white teeth... dark eyelashes flickering as the quicksilver mind was captured by a dream. Sometimes he would lie there wondering where those dreams had taken his lover, more so when those dreams turned to nightmares. On those occasions he would pull Alex into his arms, stroking the fear-soaked skin, soothing his lover with a litany of softly spoken words until Alex slept peacefully once more.

Eventually he slept but his own dreams mirrored the fears of his waking life. Twisting, dark corridors... hazy shapes squirming inside long dead corpses... bony, clawed fingers reaching out to grab at his clothes as he scrabbled past. He was searching, frantically. Faces he knew floated out of the darkness and he hesitated. Some were enemies, others friends but none were the face he was seeking. He saw Scully, her eyes frozen open in disbelief and he paused, torn between his love for her and his need to find another. A sensation brought his head around and, for a moment he thought he could make out the fine-boned features.

Alex?... Alex?... "Alex... Alex... Alex!"

His voice became louder as the fear grew. He began to thrash as unseen hands grabbed at him, smothering him and then...

"Ssshh... sshhh. It's okay. I'm here. I'm here."

Mulder's heavy eyelids opened. He blinked several times until he was certain the face barely a few inches above his own was the face he needed to see.

"Alex?"

A glint of white teeth in the semi-darkness and the caress of warm fingers carding through his sweat-soaked hair.

"That was a doozy of a nightmare, Mulder. Wanna tell me about it?"

Mulder ignored the husky voice whispering close by, concentrating instead upon the warm breath upon his face. He sat up quickly, nearly head-butting Alex in his haste, the sheet falling to his lap.

"What are you doing here?"

"I-I needed to see you."

"Alex, we agreed it wasn't safe for you. Meeting earlier was enough of a risk. What if I'm being watched?"

The dark-haired, ex-assassin smiled, his eyes crinkling as he gazed at the semi-nude man before him. His fingers reached out to brush lightly across one exposed nipple, the smile broadening as a soft moan tumbled from Mulder's succulent lips. He closed the distance between them, his own lips caressing Mulder's, his tongue sneaking out to stripe across the warm flesh before plundering the dark depths of Mulder's mouth. Mulder pulled back, surprised at the almost feral assault.

"I missed you."

Widened hazel eyes began to soften and glow with pleasure as Mulder gazed upon the man he could finally admit he loved beyond reason. He had spent most of the previous night mulling over Alex's confession of his past indiscretions. At first he had been angry, not wanting to admit to the jealousy that inflamed him as he imagined his beautiful lover lying wantonly beneath his nemesis. Thoughts of those nicotine-stained fingers caressing the silky skin; carding through the dark strands of sable hair; stroking along the muscular torso sent his stomach churning. With morbid fascination he had visualised those seamed lips wrapped around his lover's engorged flesh; sucking and licking. The thought repelled him even as the image of Alex writhing in passionate abandonment beneath Cancer Man drew him back. Finally, after hours of inner turmoil, a moment of clarity came. He realised that it didn't matter what Alex had done before... and with whom. All of that was a past that could never be changed or even forgotten but it was the past. It was the present and the future that truly mattered and as long as he would be the only one from this time onwards, Mulder knew he could allow the past to fade behind them.

Soft, nibbling kisses along his jaw line drew him back to the present... and to the fingers that danced along his flesh, teasing his nipples and raising goose bumps as they trailed across his rib cage and over the flat of his stomach. He moaned in appreciation of the attention he was receiving from those expert fingers and the hot mouth that nuzzled against his throat, allowing the other to push him to the bed until his body was covered by hot naked flesh.

"So good. So beautiful." Alex whispered softly as his tongue rimmed the shell of his lover's ear.

Mulder smiled to himself. It was so rare for Alex to feel safe and secure enough to break the silence of the night but he loved it when Alex became verbal; hearing that husky voice whispering sweet sentiments and endearments as they slowly thrust against each other. He groaned as a welcome warmth radiated from the pit of his belly, his semen spurting between their close-pressed abdomens as the world seemed to fall from under his feet. A fresh flood of warmth across his belly accompanied the loud gasp as Alex came against him.

Mulder allowed himself to drift away to the sultry tones floating in the air around him; a heavy lassitude pulling at his limbs and senses.

"Mmmmhhh?"

"I said we need to make arrangements to meet up. I've got something for you but it wasn't safe to bring it here."

Mulder opened one eye and fixed it on the beautiful green ones poised only inches above his own. He smiled in complete satisfaction.

"Where d'you suggest?"

"You know where I am. Come to me there, tomorrow at 05:00."

"You mean today."

Mulder motioned towards the luminescent digital clock sitting alone on the bedside cabinet. It was just a little after midnight. He frowned slightly when he didn't get the expected response to his teasing.

"This is serious, Mulder. You do know where I am, don't you?"

"Yes... at that poor excuse for a bar on Fifth."

Alex pulled back slightly, suddenly lost in thought. He smiled... a strange smile that reminded Mulder of the early years. It was the smirk he had detested from the first time it had been aimed at him; the smirk he had taken great delight over the years in trying to wipe off Krycek's face.

"Yes. The bar on Fifth with the pathetic neon sign of two males kissing."

"I do know the..." Mulder's peeved retort paused mid-sentence, his brows pulling together in a frown of confusion and apprehension. Somewhere, at the back of his mind, a warning flag was waving frantically.

"Alex?"

The face above him rippled, the body broadening in all directions until Mulder found himself pinned beneath the muscular bulk of the alien Bounty Hunter.

"You've been very helpful... in more ways than one."

Mulder's hazel eyes widened in horror and he pushed ineffectively against the greater mass. His last thought as a powerful fist smashed into the side of his head was that he had betrayed Alex... in all ways.

xx

3 a.m.
Manhattan, New York City

The light from the neon sign flickered through the curtainless window, illuminating the pale walls and ceiling in alternating crimson and azure. Alex Krycek lay sprawled naked across the top of a small, lumpy bed staring up at the light display upon the ceiling as his thoughts drifted back to his last meeting with Mulder. It was a mistake telling him where he was staying but Mulder seemed so desperate to know. Tomorrow he would move on. He should never have returned in the first place but that would have seemed like a kind of betrayal... and he had betrayed Mulder too many times already. He had sworn, on his mother's grave, that he would never betray Fox again but it wasn't safe here anymore.

He thought about the old war films his father enjoyed watching. There was always some comment about it being darkest just before dawn. Over the past few years he had come to understand that it was more than just the eerie silence of pre-dawn; there was a heaviness in the night air that pulled at your very soul.

A creak upon the floorboards outside his dingy room pulled him back and he reached for the ever present Glock tucked under the pillow behind his head, feeling reassured by the weight in his hand.

Nothing. No other sound reached him. Probably just the normal noises of a building settling in the quietness; a noise that only seemed noticeable in the dead of night. He sighed deeply and released his hold on the gun.

The sharp crack of splintering wood stopped his heart momentarily but before he could strengthen his grip around the handle and swing the barrel around, a large, dark shape had sprung forward, landing on him, forcing the air from his lungs. Strong, thick fingers prised the gun from his hand and he heard the sound of metal thumping against the wall beneath the window as the gun was hurled aside.

For a moment the only sound was the harsh panting as Krycek struggled to regain his breath but by the time he had managed to drag some air into his lungs, the bulky frame had pinned him down completely. The Bounty Hunter's eyes closed, an unfamiliar smile curling his lips as the heady scent of this human filled his senses. His triumphant voice whispered seductively into Krycek's ear.

"Tonight I discovered Human pleasure."

He traced a path down the side of Krycek's face with his tongue, lapping at the corner of the tight-lipped mouth. Beneath him, Alex began to thrash, hoping to lever off the more massive body but to no avail. The Bounty Hunter laughed quietly, feeling his human form respond to the stimulating gyrations of the body beneath him. He felt his human sex organ lengthen and harden, relishing briefly the discomfort of close-fitting pants before thinking away the clumsy garments to leave his bare flesh rubbing against his captive. Sensitive nerve endings flared in response to the feel of his heated skin sliding over the warm body. He pulled Krycek's arms together above the dark head until he could hold both wrists within one large hand, freeing the other to explore the muscular contours of a human whose body was prized by two other males; one old, one young. He moved one massive thigh, forcing it between the young human's legs, pushing the human's thighs apart until he could settle groin to groin. His hand swept down the length of Krycek's body from shoulder to mid-thigh before sweeping up the inner thigh. Fingers trailed through the outer edge of the patch of crisp dark curls. He lowered his head to plunder the beautiful mouth, hissing in annoyance as Krycek turned his head away.

A large hand came up, grasping Alex by the chin, forcing his head back and holding him in place as a mouth, almost drooling with lust-borne saliva, clamped over his own. A thick tongue forced its way between his closed lips, pushing against his tightly clenched teeth. The hand on his chin tightened until he was forced to open his jaw, allowing the invader to fill his mouth. Alex gagged as the tongue forced its way to the back of his throat, the hand on his jaw preventing him from biting down hard on that unwanted organ. The 'kiss' ended abruptly.

"Yes. So sweet. So beautiful."

With horror, Alex felt his legs being prised further apart; the bulk of the alien settling between them. He renewed his efforts to free himself as his hands were released, battering the large frame with his fists as his legs were pushed back, exposing him to the Bounty Hunter.

"No. No."

"Yes. So very beautiful."

Alex prepared himself for the worst, knowing he could not prevent what was about to happen. He frowned as something small pushed inside him then gasped as the 'something' gradually expanded, stretching the small muscle slowly until he felt his innards would explode from the pressure of the huge bulk filling him.

The Bounty Hunter began to rock slowly, savouring each sensation as sensitive nerve endings rubbed against the walls of the hot, tight channel. The sensations grew stronger, harder... more intense than he had experienced with Mulder and he screamed out as they overtook him, igniting his whole body and mind. He collapsed upon the still resisting body, feeling his weight crush Krycek into the overly soft mattress. Feeble struggling alerted him to the predicament of the smaller human and he pushed off to the side. A flicker of energy passed from his hand into his captive and he felt Krycek's body go limp. He climbed off the bed and reconfigured human clothing around his massive frame. With more gentleness than seemed appropriate, he leant down to stroke the pretty face.

"Yes. So very, very beautiful. If my orders were otherwise..."

With only a flicker of remorse, the Bounty Hunter wrapped Alex in the coverlet and carried him out of the room to a waiting car.

xx

8 a.m.
Griffin Motel
Near Jackson, Tennessee

Mulder moaned as a cool flannel was placed over his forehead. His eyes opened slowly, trying to make sense of the blurred figure above him. The flame of light catching in the red hair stirred a memory.

"Scully?" He croaked, eyes widening as he cleared his throat to try again.

"What happened, Mulder?"

Mulder pushed her away gently as he slowly raised himself to a sitting position. He swung his legs over the side of the bed, hands clamped either side of his throbbing skull.

"I was hoping you could tell me."

"I knocked at your door fifteen minutes ago. Didn't get an answer so I came in and found you unconscious on the bed. It looks like someone hit you."

"It feels like it." Mulder groaned anew and then the memories came crashing back. "Alex!" He tried to stand and fell back to the bed. Scully was by his side in an instant, holding onto his elbow to steady him.

"Whoa. Take it easy, Mulder. You've taken quite a blow to the head." She stepped in front of him and examined his eyes with a small torch from her medical bag. "Slight difference in dilation. You've got a light concussion..."

"Scully, I told him where to find Alex. I thought he was Alex."

Bewilderment shone in the cerulean blue eyes and Mulder could tell by her expression that she was consigning his ranting to the result of a head injury.

"The Bounty Hunter. He was here in Alex's form. Tricked me into giving up Alex's location. We've gotta get to New York. Gotta warn Alex."

Dana Scully took a step back as she put all the facts together. The telltale signs of sex filled the room; the musky smell, the mussed up sheets and sticky patches on both them and Mulder's lower body. The Bounty Hunter had taken more than information from Fox Mulder and she realised the fallout from this would not hit until later... and when it did she would have her hands full dealing with a guilt-ridden partner. She took a deep breath. The Bounty Hunter had several hours head start and she wondered whether she ought to mention this now or let Mulder rush to New York in the belief that he would be in time to save Alex. Her hands trembled as she took another deep breath, reaching out to bring Mulder's attention back on herself.

"We won't get there in time."

Mulder glared at her, his mouth opening to deny her softly spoken words but he turned away without a sound, his eyes closing in dismay. She was right. He could only hope Alex had been on his guard, that he managed to evade the relentless pursuit until Mulder could bring him, somehow, to safety. With jerky movements he started to pull on his clothes.

"We'd best head back..."

"You'd better shower first, Mulder."

Fox Mulder glanced down at the sticky semen coating his lower body.

"Oh God. What have I done?"

Dana bowed her head, It seemed like later had become now.

xx

9 a.m.
Washington DC

The Bounty Hunter entered the darkened hotel room, ignoring all of its occupants, and placed the large bundle he carried effortlessly over his shoulder onto the bed. Spender took one final drag of his cigarette and then ground it out in the nearby ashtray before slowly standing and moving to the other side. He reached out and pulled back the fraying coverlet to reveal a shock of dark hair. Pausing, he looked up into the Bounty Hunter's impassive features and smiled before returning his attention to the coverlet. Another small tug revealed the face that invaded almost every waking thought and most of his dreams; the sleep-softened features as beautiful as he remembered. He trailed one nicotine-stained finger along the darkly stubbled jaw.

"How long will he remain unconscious?"

"Until I awaken him."

"Excellent. Davis, make the arrangements." Spender looked back up at the alien morph. "I assume you will be accompanying us."

"Yes."

xx

11 a.m
New York

They had been very lucky to find seats on an early internal flight to JFK but the trip to New York passed by in a strained silence despite Scully's best attempts to draw Mulder into a conversation. Even after they landed, her taciturn partner had rebuffed every effort choosing instead to concentrate on the road ahead as if he could will the other vehicles out of the way so they could make better time. His frustration was worsened by the fact that Scully refused to allow him to drive in his current condition. With every slow vehicle in their path, every traffic snarl up and every set of traffic lights set to red she could see his knuckles whitening as he gripped the dashboard. Eventually they reached their destination. Mulder was out of the car and taking the front steps leading up into the seedy bar hotel before Scully could bring the car to a halt. She placed the vehicle in park and flew after him.

When she caught up with him she found him standing just inside the room, the lack of expression on his face it's own testament to what he had found. Scully brushed passed him. On first impression the room just seemed empty but then she noticed all the little things that spoke of a former occupant and she knew Alex had been taken from there during the night by force while Mulder lay unconscious. Her analytical mind summed up all the salient details in moments; the Glock lying abandoned on the floor by the window, a chunk of plaster and torn wallpaper showing where it had impacted with the wall. Clothes lay neatly folded on a chair; dark jeans, dark T-shirt, dark leather jacket... so common, so nondescript unless you knew the man who wore them like a uniform. The top cover was missing but signs of a struggle were evident in the remaining sheets that lay in complete disarray.

"He's gone. He took him."

Mulder reached out and gathered up the T-shirt, holding it tight against his face, inhaling the unique scent of Alex still clinging to the recently worn material.

"We'll find him, Mulder."

Fox Mulder turned to his partner and she took a backward step when she met eyes filled with an unhealthy cold rage. In all her years as his partner she thought she had seen every emotion cross his face; anger, fear, frustration, determination, happiness... love... but never had she witnessed this. The very air around her seemed to have dropped several degrees and she was thankful this emotion was not directed towards her.

"I know who has him. All we have to do is find that cancerous bastard... and I know just where to start."

Scully nodded, suddenly feeling very afraid for AD Walter Skinner even though she knew the man was on the level... and more importantly, on their side. Whatever happened she knew she needed to stay with Mulder, to try and anchor him... contain his anger... while they began the search.

"We should collect Alex's things together; take them with us. He won't be coming back here."

Scully nodded and reached out for the remaining clothes and the leather jacket while Mulder checked out the cupboards and cleared the bathroom of the few possessions lying there. He bundled everything into the small holdall he had found in the top drawer of the bureau and then headed for the door with Scully right behind him. He stopped, suddenly, on the threshold, hardly noticing when Scully bumped into him. She watched as he turned back, walking straight to the bed; her eyes misting as his fingers brushed over the sheet where Krycek must have lain.

Mulder sank to his knees and reached under the bed, dragging out a pair of shoes. The heat of his anger drained away when he realised they were his own favourite pair of Doc Marten's. His eyes crinkling momentarily with a smile before the full force of his loss hit him. He barely held back a sob, his eyes damp with unshed tears as he gazed back at his diminutive partner, suddenly feeling like he owed her some explanation.

"He always leaves his shoes under the bed... force of habit, I suppose, from the years on the run."

Scully nodded.

"Come on, Mulder. We'd best head back to DC. Start the search from there."

xx

11 a.m.
Washington DC

The tremor of distaste flowing through him was not an unusual occurrence but the reason for it was. The alien morph watched as the young, dark-haired human was placed carefully into a coffin-sized crate, soft padding supporting the unconscious frame, and the lid then firmly sealed. The crate was carried out of the hotel and to a waiting van under the watchful gaze of those rheumy blue eyes, smoke from the ever-present cigarette curling away in the slight breeze. His thoughts turned to the beings around him.

Normally, humans repulsed him, all humans, and yet there was something about the young male and, to a much lesser degree, his chosen partner that had attracted him; something that had inflamed his mind and body; a sense of... otherness.

He cocked his head to one side as he considered this 'otherness'. It was a scent. The scent of his own race upon them. He knew Mulder had been subjected to the DNA tests from a young age and could understand this allurement although he had always been careful not to get too close, not wanting to taint himself by association. He felt this allurement for all of the specimens of those tests but there was something different about this other human... an almost compulsive attraction to Alexei Krycek. At first he wondered whether it was subliminal residue from when Krycek had been taken over by one of his brethren... and then everything fell into place.

Spender had been marvelling at the 'completeness' of the young human; his yellowed-fingers trailing down the baby-soft skin from biceps to wrist before raising the hand to his lips. No explanation had been given as to how Krycek had come to have his left arm severed from his body and the Bounty Hunter had no interest in knowing. However, the Morph knew this world did not yet possess the technology to grow back a limb to the level of perfection obtained... but his own people did.

He considered this as he sat in the back of the limo for the short journey to Dulles where a Consortium owned Lear jet waited, primed ready for take-off as soon as it's passengers... and important cargo, were loaded. The human seated by his side made no attempt at conversation and he offered none in return. His thoughts turned to his travelling companion. Everything about this human repulsed him; the smell of the toxic drug he inhaled, the scent of his humanity and the treacherous nature hidden behind those cold eyes.

As he ascended the steep stairs leading into the aircraft the Morph saw, momentarily, the crate being loaded into the far end. A ripple of satisfaction flowed through him, causing even more bemusement. Why should he care that the young male was being placed in the main body of the craft rather than the cargo hold? But he did care. He took his seat on the primitive craft, his thoughts still swirling around.

After take-off the Bounty Hunter left his seat and made his way to the back of the aircraft. He watched as the lid was removed from the crate and the unconscious body lifted from its prison. The scent was there; a strong intoxicating scent. The pheromone filling the re-circulated air. Yes. Now he understood. The male was no longer fully human; he was a hybrid. The Morph knew the Consortium scientists had been working on producing a viable hybrid, the completion of that task necessary before Colonisation could begin. As he drew closer, he quickly realised that Alex Krycek was not the answer. He was still too human. The blood running through his veins was red, not green and yet he felt more kinship for this hybrid than for any of the subjects currently being experimented upon. It did not take much more reasoning to understand how and, more importantly, why Krycek had been changed. The deceased Englishman had chosen Alexei Krycek as his protégé but what good was an one-armed apprentice who carried Colonist implants.

A quick wave of a device taken surreptitiously from his pouch proved his assertions were correct. The young male had no implants although he would have been 'tagged' by his 'brother' while in the Silo... but Krycek did have altered DNA, presumably to counteract the destruction trigger which occurred on removal of the implants.

He watched as the dark-haired male that he had taken such pleasure in was washed before being placed back into the man-sized container. His thoughts once again dwelling on the perfection of the ivory skin, the softness of the shapely mouth with its deep Cupid's bow. His body remembered the overwhelming sensations as he thrust into the hot, tight channel, holding the thrashing body effortlessly beneath him. He thought of the other male that he had seduced to obtain the location of Alex Krycek. The feel of wanton abandonment as the other rubbed against him, not realising the deception until far too late. How much more pleasurable would it have been if Alexei Krycek had come to him as willingly.

A puzzled expression crossed his face momentarily before the lines smoothed out to leave the usual impassivity. No matter what he thought or felt, these two were still human... and humans were good only for slave labour and gestating his brethren. He turned away, moving back to his seat, viciously trying to subdue his body's reaction to the strong pheromones that assailed his senses.

At the far end of the plane a man flicked a glance between the Consortium leader and the alien morph. Silently, he made a decision that might cost him his life. He flicked open an ultra-modern device and sent a message... nothing too obvious but enough to give Mulder the lead he needed to begin his search for his missing lover.
6 hours later 2630
Hegal Place Apartment 42
Alexandria

When he reached his apartment Mulder's first action was to switch on his PC. He quickly entered his email account and scanned through the many messages hoping that, somehow, Alex had managed to escape and had tried to contact him. For once he resented the number of messages from the various UFO and paranormal lists he belonged to. Their presence made it all the harder to spot anything of far greater importance and, worst still, one of those hundreds of emails might actually contain the message he was looking for. He scanned quickly through the incoming mail taking note of the senders, looking for anything unusual. One sender stood out amongst the rest, something about the name firing the synapses in his brain. He opened it and found a single line; a set of four numbers.
Lone Gunmen's
Headquarters
Washington DC

Sometime later Mulder stood with Scully by his side in the cramped office of the Lone Gunmen. The three computer... and conspiracy theory experts passed the printout from one to the other, each offering up ideas.

"A set of co-ordinates." Langly began to type frantically, his nimble fingers dancing over the keyboard like a prima donna, graceful and precise as he hacked into an overhead satellite.

"No... there are not enough digits in each set... this is something else... a code. Lets try replacing the numbers with an alphabetic sequence of characters. I've got several algorithmic programs designed to..."

Frohike snatched the paper and turned a contemptuous look upon his fellow Gunmen, often amazed that they would look for complicated answers when it was really so simple.

"It's an IP address... Internet Protocol Address to the uninitiated. It's the designation for a website..."

Mulder frowned and took a step forward.

"On the Web?"

"Not necessarily, a lot of company's have their own nets... but that's where we should look first."

The group gathered around Frohike as he input the co-ordinates to the unknown website.

"If this turns out to be 'Paranormals are Us' I'm gonna spam them."

As one, the others turned on hearing the venom in Mulder's voice, knowing he was not kidding and knowing why it was so important to him that this was a lead to the man he loved.

"Believe me, Mulder, if it is then I'll spam them myself." They watched as a site began to load. He was tapping furiously on the keyboard, composing weird sequences of keys. "This site is secured tighter than my spinster aunt's chastity belt.... Aaahhh... Well, what have we here."

"It's a database... looks like an inventory of some sort. See... there are sets of dates probably orders taken, orders filled. There's a report feature..."

Byers leaned across, tapping the screen. Langly supplanted Frohike as soon as it became obvious what they were looking at but Frohike made no comment. They each knew where their strengths and weaknesses lay... and Langly's strength lay here. The report scrolled across the screen but Mulder had a sudden insight into what they were looking at.

"These are not customers; they're merchandise." He quickly scrawled a couple of names onto a piece of paper and handed it to Langly. "Check for these."

Only one name came up; Martin Leighton. Two dates were attached to the name. Two dates that were six days apart. Working on a hunch Mulder wrote down another name. Langly looked up in surprise, glancing across at the diminutive redhead before starting the search on the new name; Dana K Scully. When an entry appeared on the screen everyone except Mulder was stunned.

"What would I be doing in this database."

"Look at the date, Scully."

She leaned over Langly's shoulder and peered at the single date entry. Her audible gasp was the result of memories crashing through her. Once again she was in the corridor outside Mulder's apartment, still reeling from the stressful flight from the bees and through the strange cornfield; remembering the thunderous sound of the black helicopters overhead. They had held each others eyes in relief that they were still alive and Mulder had taken her in his arms, moving to place a soft kiss upon her lips. That's when she had felt the bee sting her. Anaphylactic shock came quickly... and so did the paramedic unit. Too quickly... but they had both been too busy fighting for her life to notice. Yes. She remembered that date.

"That's the day you were infected by the retrovirus through the mutant bee sting."

Mulder's eyes narrowed as his attention focussed on the code placed by Scully's name. At first he had thought the field contained a key index but his eidetic memory gave him another description. It was the position on the Antarctic mothership where he had found Scully.

"Go back to Leighton's entry." Mulder pursed his lips as he read the details and then started scrawling several more names on a sheet of paper. "Try these names."

"What is it, Mulder?"

He turned his head to meet his partner's inquiring blue eyes.

"All the missing men, bar one, are on this database. All have two dates against them... six days apart..."

"Except for me."

"It's the gestation period. The Englishman said I had 96 hours in which to find you or it would be too late to save you. My bet is, after 96 hours the parasite they placed in you, or that the retrovirus developed into, would have grown large enough to start eating its host from the inside out. The second date is probably the date the parasite hatched from its host."

"And I thought our theories were way outta left field..."

Mulder ignored Frohike, his mind churning through all the information he had been given over the past few months and then it struck; the reason why Michael Anacek's name was missing from the database. The Antarctic mothership had left before his disappearance.

"That's it. That's what the sender is trying to tell me. There's another mothership. Langly, search for a second database."

Several minutes later they were staring at the name Michael Anacek on the screen. A single date had been placed by his name.

"Damn."

Mulder's soft exclamation seemed loud in the silent room. He knew that it was too late to save Michael Anacek. Another twenty minutes of searching gave Mulder what he wanted; the location of the second mothership.

xx

Consortium Research Station
Sahara Desert, Tunisia

The tall, green and yellow stems of ripening corn looked distinctly out of place amid the undulating sand dunes of the Sahara Desert. Conrad Strughold watched impatiently as CGB Spender stepped out of the newly arrived transport helicopter, hunched over slightly as he half-walked, half-ran towards him. He pulled a cloth over his face to shield it from the stinging sand driven into the air by the downdraft from the helicopter's double set of rotating blades. Once cleared the helicopter took off, its desert-camouflaged shape quickly disappearing into the distance leaving the man-made oasis in an eerie silence.

Strughold watched with curiosity as one of the off-loaded man-sized crates was taken towards the administration area instead of into the mothership. He waited until Spender had paused beside him before indicating towards the anomaly.

"Personal business."

"As long as your personal business does not affect our work..."

Strughold trailed off pointedly, reminding Spender of the previous occasion when he had brought Dana Scully to the Antarctic ship. That event had ended in near-catastrophe as the alien ship was forced to flee Earth to ensure the safety of the new Colonists recently hatched from their hosts. He did not wish to see a repetition of that event here at the second 'nest'. It had taken a lot of persuasion to convince the Colonists that neither they nor the Plan had been compromised.

"In that case I will leave you to attend to your... personal business. Do not forget to check in with Dr Marron. Your pheromone patch must be applied."

Spender shook a cigarette out of the packet and placed it between his seamed lips. He cocked his head slightly as he flicked the lighter, inhaling deeply as the flame caught the tip, taking a moment to stare out across the vast desert and then he turned and walked away from Strughold towards the administration building. His eyes narrowed as one of his people came running towards him.

"Sir! Security has been compromised on the mainframe. Someone is hacking into the databases."

"How?" Anger heated the cold eyes. "The information is supposed to have the highest security possible. The Firewall was developed by the best communications experts."

"I don't understand... they could only get in if they had the exact address. There is no other way without the correct codes..."

"Then we have a traitor in our midst."

"Not necessarily... anyone could write a program to make up and connect to IP..."

"If anyone could do it then why wasn't this considered in the security arrangements?"

"We needed global access... the chances of this happening were..." The man broke off, held the mobile to his ear and listened to another report. "They've located the hacker and are moving in as we speak."

Spender glared at the man. There was nothing more they could do but this was the second time their computer systems had been compromised. The Thinker, the man who had hacked into the Consortium files, had been killed for his actions but the loss and the subsequent messy recovery of the MJ-12 tape had almost cost Spender his prestigious position in the Consortium, and it had almost cost him his life.

"Keep me informed."

The man nodded and moved away briskly leaving Spender to brood darkly on this latest turn of events.

xx

Lone Gunmen Headquarters
Washington DC

The flashing red light caught their attention.

"Uh oh... trouble."

Mulder intense gaze stabbed into Langly, waiting for the scruffy man to confirm what he already knew. Their hack into the database had been noticed and the owners of that information had, somehow, tracked them down. If Langly's chagrined expression was not enough then the frantic actions of the other two gunmen was the final confirmation.

"Let's make like sheep... get the flock outta here."

"How?"

"Just follow us, G-man... and lady." Frohike turned to the others. "Escape plan Delta-2."

Frohike stood on a chair and pressed the exposed left nipple on the full-size framed poster of Barbarella. The entire poster, frame and all, swung away from the wall on hidden hinges to reveal a slightly smaller hatch with an even smaller hole placed centrally. Mulder watched as first Byers and then Langly hauled themselves into the hatchway dragging various technical paraphernalia with them.

"Your turn, Mulder. I'll follow behind Miss Scully."

Scully gave the little man a glare, noting the lecherous gleam in his eye. She pushed Mulder aside and clambered up.

"In your dreams, Frohike", floated softly behind her.

"Is that a date?" Frohike mumbled hopefully but Scully disdained to answer.

Once inside the small tunnel, Mulder twisted his upper body so he could glance back and realised the purpose of the hole in the inner doorway. Frohike pulled the hatch shut and, extending his hand through the hole, reached out to grip a small handle carefully positioned on the back of the Barbarella poster. A soft snick as the frame settled tightly back in place would leave no trace of their escape route. Mulder turned back and began to crawl along the narrow vent, quickly catching up with Scully and realising, from that interesting view of her pert bottom, the reason why Frohike had wanted to be behind her. He sniggered to himself as he remembered Frohike's disgruntled expression. A fantasy gripped him momentarily, the thought of crawling through this vent behind the delectable, muscular ass of his lover lifted more than his spirits and then plunged him deeper into despair when he remembered his loss. He had to find Alex.

xx

One day later
Consortium Research Station
Sahara Desert, Tunisia

The heavy damask filtered the worst of the glare from the overhead sun reflecting off the pale yellow sand. A modern air-conditioning unit struggled against the ferocity of the midday heat but did little to lower the temperature beyond the barely tolerable. Spender sighed in relief nonetheless, the room was a good 15 degrees lower than the temperature outside.

Davis checked the bonds holding the unconscious man to the bed, testing each in turn before nodding his satisfaction to his employer. A glance towards the door was his command to leave so Davis headed out, closing the door behind him.

Spender moved towards the bed and glanced down at the familiar naked body stretched out upon it; a body he had spent many a night fantasising about. He sat down beside the unconscious younger man and reached out to trail his fingers along the smooth flesh, his memory racing back through the years to the younger versions of them both.

Alexei Krycek had seemed to be one of those lucky finds; a brilliant, strongly patriotic boy full of life and enthusiasm... determined that he would be the one to change the world. The intensity of his beliefs had made him easy prey and the fact that he was also very beautiful made him a temptation that could not be ignored. Spender sighed as he remembered those early years when he had used the boy's exuberance to entice him into his bed. It was never love... unless love could be defined as the insatiable need to slake his lust within that beautiful frame. No... it was obsession, addiction. The heat in those piercing green eyes would stoke the inferno; the total abandonment as Alex submitted to his caresses would fire his soul.

He brushed an errant lock of sable hair from the tall forehead. Those eyes were closed, the heavy curtain of black lashes concealing their jewel-like brilliance.

Obsession.

He should have known he could not keep an intelligent creature like Krycek tethered to him by lust alone. The boy had come to him to glory in Spender's god-like power over the lives of millions and when he had started to reveal himself, piece by piece, as just another human pushing to stay not just alive but on top in the face of the imminent annihilation of the Human race he had seen Alex gradually turn from him in revulsion. Where Alex had hung on every utterance, suddenly he was questioning. The small inconsistencies becoming glaring holes in the fabric of lies he had woven around the youth. Teaming Alex up with Fox Mulder had been a make-or-break decision. Either Alex would do the Consortium's bidding or he would be drawn into Mulder's search for the truth. His eyebrows drew together as a thought occurred to him. Who was it who said hindsight is always 20-20? With hindsight he understand why the Englishman had insisted that Alex was the right person for the job. That well-manicured man had seen what he had refused to see, that Alex was a patriot first and foremost... that he would divert all of that energy, all of that aggression into saving Humanity. It was obvious now who had protected Alex through those years of exile. How many times had he come close to capturing his former lover only to find Alex had been forewarned... and had escaped?

Spender remembered the one time Alex had come to him. He sneered... but then, it wasn't really Alex, it was the Oilien that had taken over his body that had brought Alex to his door. He shuddered, being so close to that delicious body and yet Alex may well have been on another planet. He couldn't touch him. All he could do was take the Oilien to his ship as requested and then leave Alex to die. The sound of Alex's screams as he walked away leaving the boy in his dark crypt haunted him for months. He knew that by the time it was safe to return, Alex would be long dead... and so he stayed away, trying to regain the lost lover through many a lookalike but they never fired his soul and he tired of them quickly; their bodies ending up as hosts to the Colonists.

His fingers caressed the soft lips; lips that had blazed a path across his own skin; lips that had wrapped around his engorged flesh bringing him to mindless ecstasy. Spender smiled. He would know that ecstasy again whether Alex was willing or not.

A slight click as the door opened drew his attention to the Bounty Hunter. Spender stood up and moved aside as the alien morph approached the bed. The big hands reached down and a soft glow haloed the body momentarily. Keeping his newly found desire firmly under control, the alien morph gave Spender one last dispassionate glance and then left the room.

Spender listened as Krycek groaned softly, the dark lashes flickering as he slowly surfaced from the unnatural sleep. With a sudden irrational concern for the boy's dignity, he flicked a light covering over the lower half of the naked form.

xx

The long, gruelling flight to Tunisia went by so slowly that Mulder felt he was going insane. He had tried to sleep... desperate to recuperate his strength after that blow to the head and the traumatic escape from the Lone Gunmen's headquarters. Beside him, Dana Scully lay back as if she had not a care in the world. Her eyes were hidden behind the complimentary night shades, her breathing slow and easy. He spent a moment staring at her tiny hands, momentarily awed that such a small frame could house such inner strength... and she was his tower of strength. She had held him together when Alex was taken from BioTechnics by the Rebel Aliens and she was still by his side now as they raced across half the world hoping those four numbers were leading them to where Cancer Man had taken Alex.

He closed his eyes and dwelt on their recent escape. The vent behind the Barbarella poster had led to a Janitor's closet further along the hallway. Unlike most closets this one had an inbuilt laundry chute from the days when the apartments had been a high class hotel. Mulder had smiled, realising why he had always liked the Gunmen's home. He had spent so many of the last few years on the road as part of his job that it had reminded him of all the hotel rooms he had stayed in. In counterpoint, his own apartment had only felt like a real home over the past few weeks... because Alex was there.

The laundry chute had been a tight fit for his bulkier frame and he was grateful he had kept himself in trim over the years. The exhilarating slide had led down to the basement room adjoining an underground parking lot. Within minutes they were on the road heading in three different directions with instructions on where and when to meet. Several hours later, grouped around one of the largest pizzas Scully had ever seen, they had finished pouring over all the data and were making their plans. Later that same evening, he and Scully had caught the Tunisian flight with only minutes to spare.

The in-flight movie claimed his attention for a while; some lightweight comedy but his interest faded quickly. To pass the time his mind made a mental checklist of events garnered from the many other international flights he had taken. Only one more hour and the flight attendants would serve another bland meal... then there would be the obligatory attempt to sell duty free goods and then they would be completing landing cards, sorting out passports.

He sighed and closed his eyes, hoping this time he might be successful and fall into a restorative sleep but Alex waited for him behind his eyelids, his pleasure-sated face demanding one more caress... one more kiss. With nothing better to occupy his mind and a determination not to dwell on what might be happening to his lover at this very moment, Mulder kept his eyes closed and allowed the memories to flow through him......

Pale morning light had illuminated the motel room. The heat of another body alongside his own had drawn him from a dreamless sleep and for a while the perfection of the face tucked against his shoulder held its own dreamlike quality. His fantasies surrounding this particular man had become a nightly occurrence from very early on, gradually invading his daytime dreams but on that morning the fantasy had returned more vivid, more alluring than ever before. His sleep-softened mind had focused on the glints of red shining in the short, mahogany hair before his eyes had moved to travel over that oh so familiar face. Fingers had replaced his dreamy gaze, trailing along the stubbled jaw... and they had kissed....

Mulder smiled as the memory of their first kiss stole through his nerve endings, igniting a slow-burning fire, his lips tingling in remembrance of the soft ones he had captured and held. His smile faded and he pinched the bridge of his nose to stop the tears prickling at the back of his eyes. They had been given so little time together, just a few short weeks; time he had spent chasing the elusive truth, digging through shredded reports, when he should have been at home loving Alex, creating a huge store of memories to live on should the worst happen... should he never find Alex.

Common sense told him that he could not have done anything to prevent what happened... except steal Alex away to some remote place where they could hide away together forever. Cancer Man had wanted Alex... had taken Alex using the insidious Bounty Hunter as his tool. That thought prompted another that he did not want to dwell on. Strange how, with hindsight, it was so obvious that it was not his Alex who came to him that night but his mind had explained away all the inconsistencies; the ferocity of that first kiss on the fear of losing each other, the uncharacteristic murmuring of endearments on a need to reassure that they were both together again. Only the return of that hated smirk had broken the spell, revealing the full deception too late to prevent this disaster.

Another thought tore at him. How was he going to explain all this to Alex? How could he look him in the eye and say... 'I thought it was you?' He should have known from the very first touch that it was not his lover. He should have seen the differences between...

"It's not your fault, Mulder. He's a master of disguise."

He twisted his neck round so fast he heard it crack. Next to him, Dana Scully was removing the nightshades and turning serious cerulean blue eyes in his direction. She flicked a strand of red hair back from her face with those incredibly delicate fingers.

"How did you know...?"

"What you were thinking? Easy one, Mulder. You're obsessed with taking the blame for everything that goes wrong... or not quite right. Think this through logically. You've just woken up. The room's quite dark. A familiar shape and voice above you... Alex's shape. Alex's voice. Before you have time to question why he's put himself at risk to come to you, you've got this warm, familiar body in your arms. By the time the lethargy of sleep and sex have started to wane... it's too late. You've said too much."

"That's uncanny, Scully. You weren't hiding in the closet were you?"

Scully smiled; a bittersweet smile considering the circumstances. There was a time when she thought their partnership would deepen into something far more personal but she had given up on that fantasy, content, now, to be the best of friends, although the thought of being in that closet had come to her several times over the past few weeks. There was something strangely alluring about these two men... together. She wasn't quite sure what it was. Perhaps it was the love that shone from two different sets of eyes whenever they stared at each other; perhaps it was the way their bodies performed that subliminal mating dance whenever they were in close proximity. Whatever the case, it was potent and alluring. Her mind snapped back to the joking response. Mulder often used smart replies to cover up his emotions.

"It doesn't take much intelligence to figure it out. Surveying the scene of a... crime... is what we do for a living."

Mulder thought back to the motel room. Yes. It was pretty obvious and he was suddenly ashamed that he had not expected her to notice. Did he really think so little of her?

"If that expression of remorse is aimed at me then forget it. You were the Psychologist, Mulder. Denial can be a strong emotion." She touched his arm gently, bringing his tear glistened eyes to hers. "Alex will understand."

"Have I told you recently how much I value you?"

"Don't go all mushy on me, Mulder. I hate mush."

The crackling of the flight intercom drew their attention as the Captain announced some turbulence up ahead. Scully faced back front and began to fasten her seat belt, her thoughts tumbling from her pretty lips.

"I hope the Gunmen have made all the necessary arrangements. We've got a lot of distance to cover. Those co-ordinates are way down south, into the Sahara."

"Hope you packed your sandals, Scully."

"There's one more thing I've got to say to you, Mulder. If you start doing Lawrence of Arabia impressions... I am going to shoot you."

xx

Consortium Research Station
Sahara Desert, Tunisia

The Alien Morph looked at his human disguise in a full length mirror. He had chosen this particular form decades ago having been drawn to its broad shoulders, massive chest and strong, square jaw... so different from his own natural form. It was an imposing figure that sent humans scurrying out of his path. He raised the corners of the mouth, watching with interest how the action brought life to the normally expressionless features. The smile turned into a sneer of contempt. More than five decades had passed and yet this was the first time he had truly interacted with Humans. With two humans to be exact.

His thoughts returned to one other of his own species who had lost objectivity and consorted with the livestock. Baseball. His colleague had become impassioned by a stupid human game... hitting a ball with a stick. He had not understood why execution was more preferable than returning to the people... to the Agenda. He could not fathom the depth of passion that had consumed his shipmate... until now.

"But they are livestock. Their only use to provide suitable hosts for gestating the remainder of my shipmates..." ...bringing them out of their centuries long sleep.

Centuries. That was how long it had taken to cross the vast expanses of space and return to reclaim the world that had given birth to their race. Finding it inhabited by a new dominant species was a... shock. One that was quickly hushed up so nothing bled back to the Council. If it should then there would be an outcry and their plans to re-colonise the World would lie in tatters.

The Bounty Hunter thought about the Rebels. He wondered if any of the human's realised that these were not, as they thought, another alien race but members of the Colonists who had revolted against what they were about to do. They wanted the Humans to be left alone; wanted to study them, nurture them, watch them grow as a species until they were ready to join the Great Council. Over the years he had kept his distance even though he had been forced to walk among the denizens of this planet. He paused on that thought. The humans were not denizens of the planet; they were not foreigners enjoying the benefits of this World. They were the Earth's children, just as his people were. He quashed the insurrection within his mind before it could take a hold. He was a Soldier not a Worker or a Scientist. He could not afford to have doubts about his place in the scheme of things... could he?

"So very beautiful..."

The young human was so beautiful. Strange how he had never noticed beauty in these creatures until now and yet, as his mind catalogued the physical attributes of the species he began to recognise all the details that made this particular human more captivating than most. It was not just the intoxicating scent, although the Morph had to admit that was a major part of his attraction, it was the softness of his ivory skin, the brilliance of his forest-green eyes... the inviting shape of those pink, bowed lips.

"Beauty is transient."

The ravages of time would strip that perfect form of those features but did he not read somewhere that Beauty comes from within? He had to admit that it was more than just the pretty face that called to him. The other, the one who sucked his life away on that toxic, aromatic drug called nicotine. By definition, he had been handsome when first they met but the coldness inside, the willingness to betray his own people... even his own flesh and blood had made him a creature worthy only of his contempt. The one redeeming moment, when he had requested help to save the life of a dying female; the mother of Fox Mulder. In contrast, both Alexei Krycek and Fox Mulder had an inner brilliance that radiated outwards from the depths of their being.

All three of these humans were fighting for what they believed in... the right to exist but, whereas it was Spender's personal existence that fuelled his determination, for Krycek and Mulder the continued existence of Humanity was their goal. Self-serving and self-sacrificing. That was the true difference... and the source of beauty within.

An inner calling put a halt to his introspection. He allowed the human image to fall from his frame leaving behind the Grey alien, his true form, and he swiftly moved out of his chambers towards the main control of the ship. For once, as he travelled the darkened corridors, his eyes fell with pity upon the human hosts, many of whom were still barely alive. He knew their gutted bodies would be removed from the gestation chambers and placed into the recycling unit once his brethren had clawed their way out of the empty shell. Nothing went to waste.

But what of their small lives? This concept of a spirit and soul? Were not these wasted?

He viciously pushed these thoughts aside as he reached the main control room where several of the Grey scientists and Leader-Soldiers were arguing details of the Plan.

xx

Krycek groaned softly. Despite the heavy damask, the light from the overhead sun stabbed into his eyes as soon as he tried to open them. He scrunched them closed then opened them a mere sliver. Someone was sitting beside him on the... his fingers pushed against the soft surface and then fluttered across crisp sheets. A bed. He'd already figured out that he was secured, wrist and ankle, to each end and was relieved that he had been given a little play, enough that he was not tied spread-eagled, affording him some small amount of dignity. The light covering that lay from waist to knees gave him a little more.

Gradually, the figure sitting beside him gained greater substance and a sneer crossed the still dazed features on recognition. If his brain had been a little less muzzy then he would have recognised this man from the cloying scent of cigarette smoke that clung to his clothing and, worst still, to his breath. He wondered if the man had ever realised that was why he had rarely kissed him during those early years.

"I should..." Krycek cleared his throat and tried again. "I should have known it would be you."

Yellow-stained fingertips reached out to touch his face and Alex jerked his head away, trying to avoid contact. A vice-like grip on his face turned him back.

"There was a time when you..."

"Yeah... and there was a time I believed in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy."

The pale blue eyes hardened. A knock on the door brought a welcome reprieve. Spender's face distorted in anger, a look Alex had seen a hundred times. Whoever had intruded had better have a good excuse.

"Who is it?"

"Davis. Strughold has requested your presence. We've had a report back on the security breach."

Spender glanced back down at his restrained captive. As always, business had to come before pleasure but... He leant forward and pressed his mouth against the luscious pink, bowed lips. Alex struggled and, once released he spat into Spender's face. Spender smiled, using a handkerchief to wipe the spittle from his cheek. He stood, taking his time to light another cigarette, his eyes mapping the long legs and exposed chest before reaching the eyes; aflame with anger.

"Perhaps it's time you grew up a little more, Alex. I seem to recall giving you an ultimatum... return to me or watch your..." His face creased up in distaste "... lover... die."

The green eyes narrowed to slits as Alex recalled the one-sided conversation he had held with this man only a few short months ago. If the rebel Aliens had not decided to make an entrance into BioTechnics when they did then Alex would have been forced to make his decision at that time. Instead, the decision had merely been delayed. He had no doubt that Spender could arrange for a fatal accident to befall Fox Mulder if he refused Spender's demands but he was also unconvinced that this accident would not occur anyway. The man could not be trusted even if there was a shadow of possibility that Mulder was, in fact, Spender's biological son. Cancer Man had already proved he would sell his own family down the river to save his own skin. Cassandra Spender, and the decades of tests she had suffered, was ample proof of that.

"We'll carry on with this 'discussion' later."

Alex watched as the man left the room without a backward glance. He tugged at the ropes to no avail and cried out angrily in frustration.

xx

Tunis airport
Tunisia

They moved swiftly through the airport entry system with only the smallest delay as their bags were searched by the Tunisian Customs authority. Eventually they made their way to the car rental desk.

"Is there a car rented in the name of Hale?"

"Yes. We have an international request for a 'George Hale'."

Mulder reached into his wallet and pulled out the fake driver's ID and passport, silently thanking the Gunmen for getting the transport sorted out for them. Within a few more minutes he had completed all the paperwork and was striding out to the collection zone with Dana Scully by his side. As they left the cool confines of the airport concourse Mulder felt the heat begin to rise. He mumbled softly when the heat smacked into them as the door opened.

"I hope this car has air conditioning."

By the time they reached the car they were covered in sweat.

"I don't sweat, Mulder. I perspire."

"If we don't get out of this heat, I'll expire."

xx

FBI Headquarters
Washington DC

Skinner sighed as he read the report from Agents Harris and Davidson. His men had spent the entire weekend in Barters Grove trying to follow-up on the disappearance of Michael Anacek and had little to show for their effort judging by the fact that this report was so thin. He paused at the description of a man and his female companion who had also been looking for the missing man; his mouth tightening into a thin line of disapproval.

A tall, good-looking man and his petite red-haired partner... ring any bells, Walter?

Still fuming, Skinner reached forward and buzzed his secretary.

"Kimberley. Get me Agents Mulder and Scully... now."

While he waited for the errant agents to be hauled in front of him, Skinner read the rest of the report. With such a sketchy description it should not have been possible to identify any of the people mentioned and, if he had not been handed the case by Fox Mulder then he might of overlooked the obvious suspect; the Smoker. Eventually, his patience ran out and he buzzed his secretary once again.

"I'm sorry, Sir. It appears Agents Mulder and Scully are unavailable. I get the impression they've gone missing."

"Get me Kersh, please."

After a short conversation, Walter Skinner replaced the phone in its cradle and rubbed both hands over his head, sensing the beginning of one of those special headaches that only Mulder and Scully could produce. He pushed away from the desk, stood and went to retrieve his coat. On the way through his secretary's office, Skinner spoke quickly.

"Cancel all my afternoon calls and meetings. I'll reschedule them later... and ask Agents Harris and Davidson to meet me outside Agent Mulder's apartment. The address is on file."

"Yes, Sir. Sir? Will you be returning later?"

"No. Tomorrow."

xx
Lone Gunmen Headquarters
Washington DC

John Byers turned his head back. Through one swollen eye he could just make out the bound forms of his fellow gunmen. They had been foolish to return so soon; should have been a little more paranoid. The men who had captured them had been lying in wait; watching for any suspicious movement around the apartment. He watched one of the men wipe away the droplets of sweat beading on the man's forehead. This man had worked all of them over pretty good. Byers felt the trickle of blood running through the hairs of his beard from the split in his lip. So far none of them had given too much away, concentrating on telling a highly edited version of the truth... the version that left out the fact that there had been two more members of their little hacking party.

"Once more. Where did you get the address?"

The sound of metal hitting living flesh was only partially dampened by the low groan as Frohike's head snapped sideways from the blow. The assailant eased his fingers within the knuckle-dusters and reached out to grab Frohike by the hair in preparation for the next blow. Byers felt tears prickle at the back of his eyes; his friend was barely conscious and he wondered how many more blows any of them could take. A glance sideways showed that Langly was still out cold and Byers felt those tears spill over as he took in the mottled black and blue bruising on pale skin turned grey.

"Where did you get the address?"

The same question had been repeated over and over. At first none of them had made any form of answer but gradually the truth was trickling from their mouths.

Melvin Frohike coughed hard, splaying blood over his once clean white shirt. His mouth felt like it was on fire; the nerves in his teeth screaming at the abuse. His eyes slid over to capture the black and purple-rimmed blues of his fellow gunman. Byers could see the defeat written in Frohike's eyes and knew he had to act now or all the punishment they had withstood would have been for nothing.

"Don't hurt him anymore. It was me. I got the address."

The thugs let go of Frohike and turned towards the slightly built bearded man. The coldness in their eyes brought renewed fear and he swallowed noisily. It was hard to believe that less than Forty-eight hours ago they had been sitting in front of their beloved computers hacking away to merry hell with hardly a care in the world. Earlier, while the Goons had been occupied with Langly, Byers had calculated the time differentials and decided Mulder and Scully would have reached the mothership's co-ordinates by now. All he had to do was buy them a little more time... enough time for Mulder to search the ship for Alex.

"It's a program. I created it. It-it manufactures possible IP addresses... and-and then tries to connect up. If," he cleared his throat, "if the address points to... to a server then it stores the details. We..." Byers head indicated the other two Gunmen, "we check out those addresses manually to see if there's anything interesting..."

He trailed off as the man approached him, reaching out a hand to lightly slap his cheek in an almost friendly gesture.

"There. That wasn't so bad now, was it?"

It took a painful amount of control to keep the relief from showing in his eyes. The man believed him. He really believed him. Byers felt his face go slack with realisation as the man withdrew a handgun and carefully began to screw a silencer to the end of the barrel. He swallowed and pulled a wan smile to his lips. It appeared he had believed him all too well. The smile deepened. It seemed they had bought Mulder time... with their lives.

xx

Part 3

TarlanX@aol.com



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]