Go to notes and disclaimers


Learning to Love the Hawk I

Through The Red Doors
by The Spike



Stockade,
16th Spetsnaz Brigade, Chuchkovo
Moscow Military District, U.S.S.R
October 12, 1983

The ratchet clang of a baton over steel bars woke him. Dragged him up through the cold, gray sludge of a toxic waste hangover and flung him down on a familiar, comfortless cot.

[[Hey, Hollywood...]] a guard boomed. Clang, clang.

Alex groaned, grabbed his head before the sound shattered it. Fragmentes of the night before bubbled up like swamp gas. Drinking? Oh yes, definitely drinking. Ural urine—the moldy potato-skin squeezings that passed for moonshine here. Nothing like the smoky, shimmering liquid dynamite he'd snuck back home. Russian moonshine was brain-cell Raid—tastes like roach piss and it kills those pesky neurons dead, dead, DEAD...

Clang. [[Come on, Marilyn Monroe. Beauty sleep's over. Get your lazy American ass out of bed...]]

[[Fuck off!]] Alex thought and then heard the echo of the words in English in his head. Almost meaningless these days. And it hurt. He pulled the thin blanket up over his face. It cut the razor shear of the light but left his naked feet cold and exposed.

Fuck. Naked. He was naked. A sharp rush of fear washed through him, icing his nerve endings. Bad news memory nuzzled at the edge of his conscious grasp.

Last night.

Dark. Cold. Black sky and stars. There'd been music and dancing—a piss-up, an end-of-mission wild night. And the boys of Spetznas Unit Spider were ready to party hearty. Bare feet cold on the crisp grass. Dusky poisonous tang of the homemade vodka in his mouth and, God, he'd been drunk. Falling against them, hard bodies under green fatigues. Laughing. The smell of men; of sweat and alcohol, dark tobacco and testosterone...and something else. Chemical tang. That thing with the tape—those Chechen boys had brought it. Fat rolls of gray industrial adhesive tape. They'd pulled it off in strips.

[[Come on, American pussy, try it. This is how real Russians get off. You want to be a real Russian soldier, neh? Real hard core?]]

Yeah. Real. God he wanted to be real. So, yes...yes...and Alex remembered strong arms holding him, the acid sting of a sharp knife sliding across his scalp, blood dribbling in his eyes and tape slapped on the cut. And...

Clang. Clang. [[Whoo-hoo. Give us a peep show, Marilyn...]]

Christ, whatever the hell it was, the rush had hit him like a swarm of bees. A buzzing, golden riptide that poured through his scalp, prickling and stinging and lifting him off his feet...He remembered turning, spinning, round and round, his eyes clicking open and shut like camera lenses; burning still frames of the night into his brain: dancing, singing, tearing off his kit.... Grabbing Danylo. [[Dance with me, Dany... Pajalista... please.]] And Dany had. Taken him up in strong arms, whirled round and round the fire and he'd... Christ... he had, hadn't he? Forgotten where he was, who he was with, what he was supposed to be... What he was supposed to not be.

Alex groaned helplessly, clutched himself, shivering under the thin blanket, remembering—he'd pressed his lips into the soft curve of Dany's neck, tasted the salt of Dany's flesh. Dany hard against his hip. But Dany had pushed him off...

No, it had to be a dream. He couldn't have. He couldn't...

Oh, but he had. Memory relentless now, flowing into fill the etched, corroded chamber of his skull: Himself naked, hard, wanton [[Dany, please...]] he'd begged through teeth clenched in desperation. And all around him laughing, hooting, clapping. A circle of naked cocks around the fire and he'd... he'd...

Hangover sludge shifted in his gut—a long, slow, gray wave of nausea that heeled him over, dragged him down to the floor. The blanket fell away and naked, on his hands and knees, he vomited—copiously and violently—to a flat and distant chorus of cheers and boos that could have come from nearby cells or from the memories he couldn't shake.

It must have stopped. He must have fallen back into sleep, because banging woke him again. This time he was curled up on the icy, stinking floor, blanket clutched between his knotted fists.

Clang. Clang. Clank. The scream of parched hinges as the cage door swung open.

[[On your feet, soldier.]] The voice was a hammer. Sgt. Kolya's hammer. Jesus. Kolya. Alex had already made the acquaintance of the Sergeant's fists and boots.

Get the fuck up! his inner coward shrieked. He pulled the blanket up, tried again to rise. Made it to his knees again. Two pairs of polished black boots under his chin and the whole fucking universe still spinning, spiraling, coring his braincase like a drill-bit through clay.

[[Unghh....]] he managed but nothing more and was grateful enough that he wasn't spewing on the Sergeant's boots.

[[Dog,]] said the Sergeant. The booted foot pulled back and Alex cringed.

[[Leave him,]] said a calm and quiet voice. Another officer's voice, but this one was cultured, educated. Smooth as real Stoli in a lead crystal tumbler. The booted foot hesitated in mid-arc; returned reluctantly to the concrete floor. Alex forced his thousand pound head up, raised his lead-weighted eyes to see the man who had saved him.

He saw—rank and power. Crisply ironed khakis, heavy wool coat, peaked cap. The face under the cap was bland, pleasant—the skin smooth but not young; the hair light but not gray. Everything bland and calm. Only the man's eyes held any intensity—dark blue and glittering, like sapphires in cream. The eyes gazed down on him from a hundred miles up. The effort of returning the look was suddenly too much. A sick shiver ran through Alex from heels to crown and he dropped his head.

[[Disgusting piece of filth,]] spat Kolya. [[If the army weren't so much in need of chaff to toss at the mujahadin...]]

[[Yes, Sergeant,]] said the calm voice. [[Every man can be made useful.]] A gloved hand came down, lifted Alex's chin. Alex squeezed his eyes shut, whimpered at the touch, but no blow came. Then the hand released him.

[[Let him sleep this off,]] the calm voice went on. [[When he's sober, get him cleaned up and ready for my order.]] There was a moment's hesitation, then:

[[Sir,]] said Kolya. [[His punishment...]]

[[Will be attended to,]] the calm voice said, with finality. And then with a clanking and clinking that rattled through his brittle bones, they left him alone and Alex sank back into the dizzy misery of his dreams.

xx

He dreamed he was back in America. His old house, his mother's kitchen. Sunny summer day outside and a breeze billowing the curtains. In his dream he was sitting at the kitchen table, waiting, for what he didn't know. Not impatient, not excited, not scared. Just waiting, in the warm, bright kitchen that smelled faintly of stale tobacco, knowing there was nothing he could do.

xx

Seven hours of sleep, a tin cup of cabbage soup and a cold shower later, Alex found himself standing in front of a closed oak door, deep inside officer country. His fatigues were clean and he'd shaved. A little bruised; a little battered, still shaky as hell, but he was more or less on his feet, which was better than he had any right to expect.

What he was doing here, he wasn't entirely sure. Sergeant Kolya hadn't said why he was to report to this man, Peskow. Kolya hadn't said much of anything besides who, where and when, but the strained formality with which he'd said it put a leaden chill into Alex's bones.

Fucked. Really fucked. If Kolya didn't care enough to kick his ass, it meant he was out of here. Out of Spetznas altogether, probably, and on his way to Afghanistan or to gulag duty in fucking Siberia. Jesus. He pressed the heel of his hand into the ache just above the bridge of his nose. Let his fingers trace the hot swell of the knife cut through his buzzed hair, unable to stave off the images that rose up in his memory. Idiot. Idiot. Bloody fucking idiot. Faggot whore to the bone and the Colonel had been right...had been...

Tears welled, hot under his lids and, suddenly stone-cold furious with himself, he blinked them back, scrubbed mercilessly at his traitorous eyes and knocked, with more force than he really needed, on the unprepossessing door.

It opened. The man on the other side was... not a hundred feet tall. Alex wasn't sure why that surprised him, but it did. He was expecting to be met by a giant. Instead he found himself facing a man maybe an inch shorter than himself; a man of indeterminate middle age, with reddish-blonde hair and dark blue eyes set in a bland and pleasant face. He looked fit and relaxed in khaki fatigues, standing with an open book in one hand, eyebrows slightly raised as if in question.

[[Private Arntzen, reporting as ordered...Sir.]] Alex stumbled a little over the 'sir'. Kolya had called the man Peskow, but had given no rank, and there were no pips or insignia on his kit. Still, Alex knew rank when he saw it. And he saw it here.

[[Comrade Arntzen,]] the man—Peskow—said, pleasantly. [[Come in. I've been expecting you.]] The mildness took him aback—he'd expected a sterner welcome.

The room into which Alex stepped was the usual modestly appointed barrack office. It contained a desk, a couple of chairs, a file cabinet, a well-stocked bookshelf. Everything neat and tidy and well-worn with use. There was a yellow personnel folder on the desk and next to it, a tray on which sat a steaming teapot and two china cups.

Peskow motioned Alex towards the visitor's chair, and then seated himself behind the desk.

[[I trust you're feeling better?]] Peskow asked, not unkindly. Alex felt embarrassment flush his cheeks and his stomach roiled a little.

[[Yes, sir,]] he lied.

[[Good,]] said Peskow. [[Will you pour us tea?]]

[[Yes, sir.]] Alex poured, shaky handed, but instead of taking the tea, Peskow opened the personnel file in front of him and began to peruse it. The silence stretched. Alex sipped at his own tea. It was hot and felt surprisingly good on his raw throat. Still Peskow didn't look up from his reading. The file was thick and Alex's uneasiness grew. His eyes felt grainy and heavy; his mouth was sour. His gut fluttered and rolled.

///Christ, get on with it!// he thought fiercely at the man behind the desk. //Ream me. Cut me loose. Something...// He didn't even know if he cared what, anymore. A half a dozen times he opened his mouth to say so, but the words never managed to come. There was something intimidating about the quiet, pleasant calm. Still, tension wound him like a string and just at the point where he thought he would have to speak or die, Peskow closed the file and looked up at him.

[[Do you know who I am?]] Alex hesitated before answering. He knew the man's name, suspected his rank; even thought his face, with its neutral expression and sharp eyes, was vaguely familiar. But...

[[No, sir,]] he said, finally. Peskow pursed his lips, nodded, but didn't enlighten him. Instead he said:

[[Well, I've learned a lot about you, Comrade Arntzen. Or do you prefer Krycek?]]

[[I—]] said Alex. [[No, Sir.]]

[['Krycek' is your father's name?]]

[[Yes, Sir.]]

[['No, Sir.' 'Yes, Sir',]] Peskow mocked, gently. [[You sound like a soldier.]]

[[I am a soldier, Sir,]] said Alex. Peskow quirked an eyebrow at him.

[[Soldiers follow orders.]] Alex stared down at his lap, then back up to meet the cool, blue gaze. Peskow nodded.

[[I've had a good, long look at your file,]] he went on. [[Excellent performance records. Marksmanship. Close combat skills. Tactical abilities all of the highest caliber. You certainly have the makings of a soldier. But the rest of it...]] He clucked, shook his head. [[Drunkenness. Illegal drug use. Fighting. Immoral behavior. You're a disgrace to the unit. To the uniform.]]

[[Yes, sir.]]

[[How do you explain that?]]

[[I—-]] he stopped. [[I have no explanation, Sir.]] Again that considering nod. Peskow tapped the edge of the file idly with his thumb.

"You're an American," he said, in English.

"I—" Alex began automatically, then forced himself back into Russian. [[No, Sir. I'm a loyal Soviet citizen.]]

"Yes, yes. Of course you are," said Peskow, impatiently. "But you were born in America. You grew up there. Speak English, Mr. Krycek." Sudden iron in the pleasant voice and real fear coursed through Alex's flesh.

"Sir...?" he asked. Peskow continued to watch him, coolly. His eyes were very dark, Alex thought, for such a fair-skinned man. They were difficult eyes to look into, more difficult to look away from. Alex felt a shiver roll up the muscles of his back.

"I was born in America," Alex said. "I grew up there."

"At a military base, yes? In Albuquerque, New Mexico?"

"I—yes."

"Your father was a ranking officer there. A Colonel. The Colonel."

"How do you kno—?"

"Ah ah ah..." said Peskow, warningly. He opened the file again, frowned into it, looked up.

"So your father was an American Air Force Colonel," Peskow went on. "But his youngest son is a now a Soviet citizen and a private in the Russian army. Remarkable world we live in." And, oh Christ, he wasn't even going to ask, was he. The silence stretched.

And Alex felt cold. So cold. If he unclenched his jaw, his teeth would chatter because he knew now who Peskow was and why he wasn't asking how Alex's life had taken such an impossible jag. He wasn't asking because he already knew. Because he was one of them. One of the shadow people like his mother's nameless, smoking friend—the one who took care of 'problems' like Alex—men who showed one face to the world and saved their real faces for the real master in the darkness. Or masters. How many shadows did it take to run a conspiracy that encompassed the world's superpowers? Christ, he didn't want to know. Had never wanted to know. It was only his own—weakness, his own stupidity that had led to his even knowing as much as he did. And now...

"Please," he said, softly. Voice gone nearly voiceless with fear.

"Please what?" Peskow asked, mildly.

"Please give me another chance, sir," Alex said. "I don't want...." He didn't dare put words to it, but he knew now exactly what was at stake.

//"Be very careful, Alex," the smoking man had said to him as he stood, miserable, ticket in hand, to board the plane to Moscow. "We will only tolerate so many mistakes before we cut our losses."//

[[I could be a good soldier, sir,]] he said.

But Peskow was shaking his head.

[[Be that as it may,]] he said. [[I cannot reassign you to this unit. Or any other Spetznas unit in the GRU for that matter. The Soviet Army will turn a blind eye to almost any naughty behavior among its special forces—including a little discreet cocksucking, I might add— but some things even they consider...]] he paused, then finished, in English: "...beyond the pale."

Alex felt the scarlet flush blossom and die in his face. Embarrassment turned to sudden fury at his own helplessness:

[[What, then?]] he asked. [[Krasnoyarsk? Novokuznetsk? Tajikistan?]] Peskow chuckled, although the laugh didn't quite reach his eyes.

[[I admire your patriotism, Comrade Arntzen, but I'm afraid the regular army is out of the question for a young man with your training. As are the Internal Ministries. We don't share our toys with just anyone.]]

//Then why did you bring me here, you cold-eyed son of a bitch? Why, if it's so goddamned hopeless...// He closed his eyes, then opened them abruptly. Peskow was watching him, eyes distant. Cool, like the night sky. //...our toys...// A cold thought snaked up Alex's spine to curl around his brain like smoke.

[[Your...]] he began—saw a flicker move across the blandness of Peskow's face, and felt cold again. Burning cold. He was right, wasn't he? This was the marker being called; the shadow reaching out to claim its own. It slipped around him easily as fog.

"What...will I be doing for you?" he asked. Peskow smiled approvingly.

"You are a bright boy," he said. "And talented. And the possibility of alternative...employment does exist. But the work—our work — requires also a certain temperament. A certain ruthless self-discipline. The ability to follow orders.

"Not exactly your strong suit, Alex." Anger flared at the jibe. At the contempt Alex felt behind the words. If he'd been drunk he might have stood to defend his pride.

//Staying alive is my strong suit, you son of a bitch...// But all he said was: "I'll do whatever it takes."

Peskow said nothing. He sat back in his chair for a moment, and then, abruptly got to his feet. Walked around the desk so that he stood behind Alex's chair. He was close enough that Alex could feel his heat, feel the weight of his presence exerting itself like gravity, rocking him back in the chair.

"It might take a lot." Peskow's voice at his ear was soft, a mockery of kindness: "Hard work. Courage." Alex shifted uncomfortably at the man's nearness, but did not dare turn his head.

"Sacrifice." A strong, long-fingered hand wrapped around the back of his neck, making him start. Stroke of a thumb at the nape and Alex shivered.

"Self control..." He felt dizzy, breathless. Was this a trick? A trap? Did Peskow want him to resist? Or respond? He did neither, held himself to stillness, until he felt Peskow watching him again. He looked up expecting to meet the cool, blue gaze.

It wasn't there. Instead what he saw made him inhale sharply with sudden, visceral fear. Peskow's eyes were focused on him with the coldly passionate intensity of a hawk stalking prey. For a moment Alex was paralyzed, utterly frozen—unable to look away from the terrifying stare. A strange hot shiver moved through him, winding down around his spine to settle heavily in his groin. To Alex's horror, he heard himself whimper softly.

Then Peskow blinked—once, twice—and the cold fire was gone. With a gentle shake, Peskow released his neck.

//What happened?// Alex's mind shrieked. //What did he do?// But Peskow was already seating himself behind the desk again, his face as bland and pleasant as before, his tone so banal that, when he spoke, it took a moment for Alex to pick the sense from the sound.

[[...quarters, Comrade Arntzen,]] Peskow was saying. [[Pack your things. I will call for you.]]

And then there was nothing left for Alex to do but mumble, awkwardly:

[[Yes, sir. Thank you, sir...]] and back himself out the door, and out into the night to scramble through the empty parade grounds with the shadows between the light poles reaching out for him as he ran.

xx

The quarter of the compound usually occupied by Unit Spider was deserted when Alex finally got there. The MP who let him in told him the whole unit was off on a disciplinary mission and he didn't know when they'd be back. Alex was still cold, still aching from the night before. He knew he should pack up and make himself scarce, but it seemed a strange, shivery exhaustion had descended upon him.

He decided he could risk a shower, ended up lingering long under the hot water, wishing the thunderous spray could wipe his mind of the cold hunger in Peskow's eyes. It didn't, and though he shaved in the hot steam and toweled dry, by the time he returned to his billet he was shivering again.

Back in his room, Alex nervously packed and repacked his kit, listening for footsteps to come echoing in the hall. He heard none, and so Dany's distinctive Balkan drawl from the doorway caught him off guard.

[[They sending you back to the range, Cowboy?]]

Alex's breath snagged on something in his chest and he turned with the shirt he was folding still in his arms.

Tall and rangy, Corporal Danylo Neverov lounged in the doorway— loose sprawl of limbs; long nose, full mouth turned up in a cynical half-smile that showed too many crooked teeth.

xx

spike21@home.com
Learning to Love the Hawk II: Gone One Knows Not Where

1/99
Disclaimer: None of these X-files characters belong to me, my intentions are entirely gormless.
Rating: NC-17 for mature themes, sexual situations and violence.
Spoilers: None
Summary: The year is 1983; the place is Soviet Russia.
Author's notes: This is the first part of my origin story for Krycek.
It's also a kind of a prequel for "The End of Pain". It's not necessary to have read that story to get this one.
WARNING: This is a WIP. The sequel is in the works. Please bear with me, I'm dancing as fast as I can.
Technical note: [[Dialogue in double square brackets is being spoken in
Russian,]] and: "Dialogue in double quotes is being spoken in English."
Translation note: I've thrown a word or two of Russian in for flavor, so here is a wee glossary:
pajalista = 'please'
goluboy='blue' (slang equivalent of english 'gay' or 'homosexual'
golubaya lenta='blue ribbon' (a man who willingly takes a passive sexual role with other men, specifically in the gulags) petuh='whore' (or more specifically, the equivalent of a man who 'punks up' in prison or in the army.)
moi='my'
lublyushka='little loved one'.
Acknowledgements: To Ladonna for encouragement and fine first beta and to Nonie for kindness, tolerance and beta thru delta well above and beyond the call of duty.
Feedback: uh-huh, public or private, to spike21@home.com
Okay, enough with the massive preamble. Story ahoy...

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]