Go to notes and disclaimers


Moss, Sable and Jade IV
by Raven


Chapter Eight

The next day, after breakfast, Alex found himself standing outside the master's study. Word had been sent requesting his presence, and now, wondering what might be wrong, Alex knocked softly, opening the door at the quiet call to enter.

Inside, he found the master, sitting behind the desk with a smile, but there was a note of tension to the man as well. Seated to his right, was the seneschal. Alex felt the warmth spread across his chest at the man's casual greeting, but he ignored it, only coming into the room and standing in front of the desk.

"You asked for me, Master?" His voice sounded shaky to his own ears, and he cleared his throat slightly, sitting down at the master's gesture toward the chair.

"Yes, Jade. There's something I'd like to discuss with you, little one. But first, because I know you so well, let me reassure you that you've done nothing wrong. You're in no trouble, Jade."

"Thank you, Master."

"Now, that aside, I have a proposition for you. Seneschal de Singni, Alonzo, is going to be doing some work here for the next few days. He will require a helper during this time. He has requested you."

Alex swallowed hard, feeling his heart begin to speed up. His eyes darted up to the seneschal, finding the near black eyes and seeing gentle regard. That mouth gave a twitch, and Alex couldn't help a small smile at the sight. Taking a breath, Alex relaxed again, and turned his attention back to the master.

Fox had been watching carefully, and he was reassured by what he saw. Keeping his voice calm, he continued.

"Jade, I want to make one thing clear, this very moment. It is a very important concept for you, Jade, very important, and I must be certain that you grasp it fully. Are you listening, little one?"

"Yes, Master." Alex was, his whole attention now focused solely on his master's face and words.

"Good. Jade, you have permission to decline. The right to refuse this posting is yours. Sadly, that shall not always be the case, but Alonzo would do nothing by force. If you do not wish to serve him, then you need not. You may still visit with him in your off time, see him at meals, seek his company. We shall address that next. What we are discussing now, is whether or not you shall work for him and with him the next few days. Do you understand that there will be no repercussions, none, should you refuse? Alonzo will bear you no ill will for your choice. Do you understand that, Jade?"

"Yes, Master. He is like you. Did he tell me to do something, I would be expected to obey without question, but if he offers me a choice, then it is offered freely, and I have the say whether it will be done or not."

The master's eyes glowed with a soft pride at the answer, and Alex felt the pleasure of it wash through him.

"Very, very good, little Jade. You have made such progress, and it pleases me greatly."

"Thank you, Master." Alex had started to drop his eyes, the habit having never quite left him, but then he deliberately kept them raised, and let his heart show as well.

"You're welcome. Now, do you need time to think, or have you an answer?"

"I-I should like the chance to serve him, Master." Alex felt a faint blush begin, and now his eyes did drop.

"Are you sure, Jade? He will have the right to scold, and while he may not strike you, he can have you punished."

"I know, Master. I am still a slave, regardless of how much choice you grant me, or how kind the master. It is understood, but I would do it, still."

"Well spoken, Jade." The seneschal spoke for the first time, and there was a wealth of empathy and understanding in the words, understanding that could only come from personal experience. It let Alex feel a kinship to the man, and that did much to ease his nerves. It was one thing to know this man had been a slave, another to hear it in the rich, deep voice.

"That is settled then. Now, despite the potential for embarrassment, we shall move on to the next thing I would have you know. Jade, should you choose to enjoy Alonzo's company in a more romantic manner, that is perfectly fine with me. You do not need my consent to lie with anyone, so long as they are above age and it is consensual. It is not, however, a part of your duties."

Lord Fox paused here, looking intently into the clear green eyes.

"He is asking for someone to run errands, and assist him in his labors, not for a bed slave. Should you seek each other in that manner, it will be a thing separate from your posting to him. Is that clear, Jade? The man has use of you, but only according to the rules of this, my home. Alonzo would have it no other way, but I wish you to know the boundaries. I will tolerate no disrespect from you to him, no slacking in your labors or efforts while working for him. Neither will I tolerate any abuse from him to you. Does he handle you in an inappropriate manner, you have but to say, and I shall see him punished severely. You have my promise, Jade, that he is safe and that you shall come to no harm from him. As has been said to you of Sable, he may break your heart, but he would never deliberately hurt or harm you, Jade."

Alex released a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. On some level, he'd understood that, without needing to hear the words spoken aloud, but now that they had been, Alex was relieved. It was one thing to have instincts, another to be told in plain words. It was an extra measure of security, allowed him a bit more freedom in his words and actions, and Alex was grateful to the master and to Alonzo for being so frank with him. Alonzo, a free man of power, had come to his master and spoken of such things, was sitting now, listening to them discuss the situation as though he were not even present, and doing so gladly. It made it easier for Alex to be more fully honest than he might have been.

"I felt as much, Master. And Sable has said he is a good man, the Captain says he is safe, Leona calls him both good and a passable cook." Here Alex allowed a glint of humor to show. "And you yourself tell me I may trust him. And that is the feeling I have gotten as well, though I am not so used to trusting. I-I have felt, looking at him, that should I allow it, he would seek his pleasure with me. But he doesn't frighten me, Master, because it is simply something he wants. He has no intention of taking anything that is not offered, and possibly not then. If he did take his pleasure, I feel sure he would give mine in return." Alex was blushing hotly now, and his eyes were firmly fixed on the floor, but there was a faintly flirty air to the way his teeth were seeking his bottom lip, a curve to the flesh that spoke of a not unwelcome thought.

The seneschal chuckled, but when he spoke, his voice was utterly sincere. "I thank you, Jade. Your summation and trust mean much to me, especially coming from one that has been so hurt in the past. You judge me true, Jade. I will cheerfully take all you wish to give, but I will ask for nothing, and I will repay you every granting. Desire you? Oh yes, Jade, I find you quite the tasty little morsel." The mouth and eyes grew wicked, but with humor firmly atop the intent. "Still, it is you that intrigues me, Jade. I wish to know you better, whether or not I have you beyond the surface, is irrelevant. Mind, I'd scratch the surface like a hound with fleas, given the chance, but it will only be found treasure, not the sought prize."

"Thank you, Sir."

"Please. Call me Alonzo, does it not bother you overmuch."

"It's a nice name. Alonzo."Alex was aware that he was gently beginning to flirt, and that it felt most pleasant. He chanced a look at the master, and found the man watching them with wistful delight. That he wished to be the one flirting with Alex was plain, but so was his acceptance and support.

"I see I have no need to worry. Still, do either of you need me, I am here for you, both of you."

"You always are, Master." "You always were, Fox." The words were spoken atop each other, and all three men shared a moment's amusement, before Fox stood, gathering his papers.

"Well enough. Jade, I will send word to the kitchens and take it to Sable," here he winked, "explaining that you'll be working with Alonzo for his stay. Not that it's likely to be a surprise to anyone. Alonzo always did have a discerning eye."

"'twas not my eyes you liked me for, Fox, but my nose. It's the only one you'd ever seen as long as your own."

The master swiped at Alonzo with the papers, ignoring Alex's laughter. Alonzo didn't.

"Lovely sound. Simply lovely."

"Thank you, S— Alonzo. I'm glad you find it so." Alex swallowed, a bit unsure of the rules for serious flirtation. But he was slowly learning to trust his instincts, and now they seemed to be serving him well. That and his time spent observing Thomas.

"Out, gentlemen. To work, both of you, and me to mine. Alonzo, I've cleared the workshed by the woolen huts for you. It will give you a view of the paddock you're working with and will be close enough to the smith shop not to exhaust Jade with running back and forth. If you need anything, your bell is hooked to theirs, and I've assigned an extra boy to them for errands and small work. Will that suffice?"

"Sounds perfect, Fox. Thank you."

"No need, 'tis you that does me the favor, Alonzo, can you figure this out for me."

"I shall give it my best. Come, Jade, I've some sketches in my room I'll need help carrying."

"Yes, Sir."

Alex stood, following him out the door, pleased to see that the man seemed to share the master's penchant for sobriety and professionalism while working.

xx

They left, and moments later, Danally came into the room. She leapt onto Fox's desk, and he dutifully fished out a treat for her, watching her thoughtfully as she ate it.

"Am I doing the right thing, Danally? Is he the one you meant for Jade? A good choice, yes, former slave, gentle man, believes in everything I do. He'll give Jade a good time, with minimal risk, it's not Alonzo that worries me. It's Jade. I don't want him afraid, yet I would not see him move too quickly. Is he ready? Really ready?"

Fox, not having meant to speak out loud to the cat, now watched as she moved to the practice sheet lying on the corner of his desk. It had the alphabet written on it carefully, and now she patted three letters, smirked at a dumbstruck Fox, and leapt from the table, strolling out the door.

The letters had been "Y, E and S", and tapped in that order.

"You know, I slept much better at nights when all you did was purr and catch mice!" Frowning, Fox yelled it after her, before heading to the kitchens, grumbling and muttering the whole way.

In the hall behind him, unseen, Alonzo looked confused.

"Was Fox yelling at the cat?"

"Yes, Alonzo."

"I am certain there is a story there. Do you know it?"

"Yes, Alonzo."

"Good. It will make a pleasant conversation our first work break." Burdened down with rolls of parchment, a bag of tools each, and a small collection of what appeared to be wooden toys, the two men made their way downstairs, and outside.

xx

As they stepped outside, Alonzo paused, taking a deep breath.

"Ah, the air here is lovely!" He took another appreciative lungful, eyes closing slightly with pleasure. "My own keep lies near the sea, and I am not used to breathing without the tang of salt. I am very fond of it, but the lightness of the air here makes for a pleasant change. Have you ever seen the sea, Jade?"

"Once, briefly, through a carriage window. I remember I had thought it would be blue, but it was more than blue. The green and grey and even brown of it surprised me." Alex paused, then asked a question softly, daring a real conversation, not simply answering the man's question. "I have been told the water feels different. Is that so, Alonzo?"

"Very true, Jade, and bless you for bravery." A look said Alonzo had understood what Alex risked, and appreciated it. "Sea water is salt water, Jade. It is more dense, thicker, and the salt changes the properties somewhat. 'tis easier to swim, to float things. It's harsher, as well, of course, for the salt dries things."

They were at the door to the extra work hut by the wool barns, and Alonzo entered, setting things down on the floor. The room had not been used in a bit, and though clean, was dusty and cold, as well as slightly musty. Alonzo set Alex to straightening the room, while he went to the doorway, staring intently at the paddock facing him, a sketch in his hand. He seemed to be puzzling over something, but Alex couldn't imagine what.

Ignoring his curiosity, Alex first saw to the hearth. It seemed safe, and he quickly got a small fire going to combat the fall chill. Once that was done, he found the cleaning cloths and buckets in the small cupboard, and fetched some water from the rain barrel at the side of the building.

All the buildings had a rain barrel, and half-pipes ran around the edge of the roof, catching and funneling the water into them. The levels were checked, and full barrels removed to storage, with a new empty one in its place. Alex had never seen the like, and had spent nearly half an hour's free time asking Fitz to explain them to him. Now, having a ready source of water, for any purpose besides drinking, at each place was a luxury Alex nearly didn't notice anymore.

He turned the tap on the small keg pipe, and filled his bucket, then went back inside. He began with the table, using a cloth to wash and another to dry, before putting Alonzo's papers on it. The windows he cleaned next, knowing they would want the light.

Alex might have taken the rain barrels for granted, but never would he get used to the glass. He cleaned it carefully, awed at the presence, even of this, the lowest grade glass, in a work shed. Alex had gotten up the nerve to ask once, why all the work sheds and the barns had glass the same as the keep, and the master had explained that the cost was easily overcome by what he saved in time, labor and materials on candles and oil lamps. It was a brighter light as well, and allowed for better work, and longer work. It was why the sewing room was nearly surrounded by glass, and had mirrors in the walls as well. Alex had understood then, the practicality of it, but he still marveled at the feel of the glass under his hands.

He saw that Alonzo had moved from the doorway to the table now, and Alex quickly did the rest of the small straightening needed. He noticed there was not a chair in the room.

"Alonzo, shall I fetch you a chair?"

"No, thank you, Jade. I prefer to stand or use the floor when working, Fox likely removed the chair on purpose for me, to give me more room. I should like a low bench, though. As I have aged, I find kneeling to be comfortable during my rest periods. Bring a blanket as well, to pad it. Or, if you aren't the holy type, borrow one from the chapel. Should there be a sudden need for the masses to pray, we can return it quickly enough."

Alex grinned, and trotted back up to the keep. He'd been in the chapel a couple of times. Drell had invited him along once, and he and Marita had been tasked with baking the unleavened bread for the services. They'd taken it in and placed it between waxed gauze, then back into the tightly sealed tin. Fitz usually conducted services here, but once every few months, a priest came from the nearby monastery, sort of a practice run before seeking their own postings. They handled the official services, weddings and christenings and such, Fitz and Fox both wishing such things to be legally unassailable.

Now, picking up the bench, Alex paused long enough to look around. It was a pretty little chapel, with the colored light from the tall, narrow windows and the dark wine colored velvets, the gleaming white runners and golden embroideries.

Not wishing to be disrespectful, Alex paused, ducking his head and paying a brief silence, before moving toward the door.

"What manner of thief prays before stealing?" Fitz's voice was unexpected, and Alex jumped as though poked. The older man's laugh was apologetic. "I'm sorry, Jade, I assumed you heard me puttering around in back."

Alex, heart pounding, smiled his forgiveness, and held up the bench. "For Alonzo."

"Fine, Jade. Please, tell him I said hello, and I should like to speak with him when he has a moment."

"Yes, Fitz."

With a smile, Fitz ducked back behind the curtains, and Alex returned to the workshed. He placed the bench along the wall, and gave Alonzo the message from Fitz, before waiting his next instruction.

"See you those wooden pieces? They are rather like a puzzle. I would know if you can put them together correctly, without being told how they fit nor even what they make. You will not displease if you cannot, I merely wish to gather knowledge from your attempt. So, take your time, and see what you can make of so much odd firewood."

"Yes, Alonzo."

Alex sat down on the floor, taking the pieces out of the bag, and looking at them carefully, before beginning. It was a few minutes before he found the first clue, and from there, it was fairly simple to derive the rest, though he had no idea if it was right. Still, it looked right to him, and with a final check, decided it was his best guess.

"Sir?" Working tended to bring out the formal in Alex, but Alonzo paid no mind to the slip, merely looking down from his work on the table. "I'm finished."

"Ah, very good. Let's see how you've done."

Alonzo squatted down beside Alex, looking at the assembled tower of pieces. It was rather like a clock mechanism, only larger in scale. Alonzo looked at it thoughtfully and then turned one spiked wheel by hand. The rest of the gears turned fairly easily, and the man looked pleased.

"Tell me, Jade, have you ever worked with such things? Gears and clocks and such?"

"No, Alonzo. This was my first time to even touch such."

"Then you are quite the smart young man. These are parts for a clock, Jade, a different sort of clock to be sure, but a clock nonetheless. And you have assembled them correctly, in a minimum of time, which tells me that my pattern is complete. If you will carry it for me, I shall take the sketches and measurements to the smith's, and they can begin production."

Alex stood, lifting the assemblage carefully, and followed Alonzo the short walk to the smith's shop. Earlic was there, and after motioning to his assistants to continue on, he approached them. He held out his hand, smiling broadly at Alonzo, before sweeping the smaller man up into a tight hug.

Alonzo had no breath to yell, not that it would have done any good. Instead, he put his forehead to the man's blonde crown and placed a solid kiss.

Laughing, Earlic set him down, as the seneschal panted for his lost air.

"Do you wish to kill me, there are better methods at your disposal."

"I can't kill you, Thomas may end up in your keep after graduation. I'd not cheat you of that torment."

"Oh, Gods preserve us! My keep is nearly half female, being so near the sea. I'd have not a moment's sleep for months, between sailors, widows and orphans!"

"Aye, 'tis why he's considering living there." Earlic laughed aloud, and then sobered. "Now, enough of my young hound. What may I do for you, Alonzo?"

Alonzo motioned Alex forward, still holding the assembled parts. Earlic's eyes filled with delighted curiosity as he looked at the wooden model. Alonzo said nothing, merely waited patiently until the big man had gotten a good first look. When Earlic was done, and Alonzo had his eyes again, he began to speak.

"This is to be a clock, a new kind. It uses a system of weights and pulleys to enforce the movement, and there is a pendulum besides. It is large, as you can see, and the whole will be housed in a large cupboard like affair. I have the plans, if you have a table."

Earlic led them to his work bench inside, and looked at the plans being spread out. When he'd looked them over, Alonzo began to explain things to him, pointing from the plans to the model, now placed on the desk by Alex.

"Thank you, Jade. Tell me, do you write? Numbers, as well?"

"I write well enough, but my numbers are not good yet. They still slant overmuch, but I can make them all readable."

"No more is required. Here." He handed Alex a square of paper and a charred stick. "Take down the conversions for me, as we measure. Write the number Earlic gives, then the number I say beside it, and then move down."

"Yes, Sir." Sitting on the floor, Alex got ready. He listened to them carefully, watching as they measured, looking away only long enough to write down the numbers. When they'd finished, Alex handed the paper to Alonzo. He looked at it carefully, eyebrows together in thought.

"You have lied to me, Jade." The words were spoken quietly, and Alex felt a chill sweep him.

"How so, M—Sir?" Fear made his heart pound but Alonzo was looking at the figures, transferring them onto another paper with ink and quill now.

"You said your numbers were not good, yet I find them better made than my own. It will be no trouble to read your writing these few days, Jade." Looking up with a grin, he noted now the palor, the sense of relief on the features. "I apologize, Jade. I meant only to tease. I find it most difficult to think of you as a slave, you are simply a man to me, and I did not consider the impact of my words. Will you forgive me?"

"Of course. It was a jest only. It is a small price to pay for being thought of as a man, and not property."

Alonzo smiled softly at him, and carefully reached out to put a gentle hand on Alex's shoulder, squeezing lightly, before turning back to the work.

"Take these figures to the woodcrafters, Jade, and let them know I will send the measurements for the rest in a day or so. Also, let them know that I have decided on the fruitwood. Repeat, please."

Alex did so, and used the walk to calm himself. He should have known the man was but making light, would have known it from anyone else. Putting it down to nerves, for it had been quite a while now since he'd served anyone but those that lived at Samstar Fields, Alex sternly reminded himself to treat this man the way he would the master.

Arriving at the woodcrafters, Alex dutifully gave his message and the figures, taking back a list of questions of his own. They weren't written down, the entire keep knowing of his gift for recalling what he'd heard, provided it was not overlong or rushed.

Making his way back, he saw the master and Sable in the yards outside the stables. Sable was bent over, washing up at the deep trough, and as Alex watched, the master grinned, before slapping the muscled backside hard. Sable, not expecting it, lost his footing and fell into the trough. He came up sputtering, and the master's laughter changed to a yelp, as Sable calmly reached out, grabbed a handful of tunic and yanked. Alex laughed aloud as the master landed face first in the trough, atop Sable. They were both completely soaked, Fox's hair plastered to him in streaming strands, but he only spit a graceful arc of water out of his mouth and onto the ground. The sound of their laughter died away, as Sable pulled that mouth down to his own, kissing Fox hungrily. The stabler's big hands cupped Fox's rear, and the master's long arms wrapped around Sable's neck. As Sable stood, Fox wrapped his legs around the man, too, and after carefully getting out of the trough, Sable carried the man, still kissing him, back into the stables.

Alex sighed, a sound that was both wistful and content.

"I cannot blame you much for lagging." Alonzo's voice brought him around, and he flushed at being caught so.

"I'm sorry, Sir. I did lose my purpose."

"You love Sable, this you told me. That you love the master as well, I found out this morning, watching you in his study. And I am told, that you are loved by the two of them, in exchange."

"That is all true, Alonzo."

"Why me, then? Why, if you could have them, would you agree to me? Either of them alone would be a blessing, to have them together? Nearly too much pleasure for any man. So, why would you ignore that for this?"

"I-it is a long story, Alonzo. I would be glad to share it, but it will take a while."

"What say you we share a quiet meal alone? You could tell it to me as we dine tonight."

"I should like that."

"Where would you feel comfortable, Jade? The salon?" The salon was a small, seldom used room off the main dining hall. It was meant for an intimate dinner, a holdover, so Alex had been told, from when the old master had hosted men of great power, and wished to insure privacy. And yet, the main hall was just a door away. Private, without being too personal. It held no bed, only table and chairs, though there were plump pillows scattered about. For a small fee, couples could arrange their meals there, something of a treat.

"That would be very nice. And again, my apologies for dawdling."

"None necessary."

"I have some questions for you from the woodcrafters." They had walked back to the work shed now, and Alonzo picked up his sketches again.

"Put them on the table, I'll look them over later."

"They aren't written, Sir, only remembered."

"Very well. Ask."

Alex began, and soon, Alonzo's brows were drawn together tightly. He answered each question fully, voice showing nothing but attention, and it was only when Alex had asked the last question, that Alonzo voiced his own.

"Jade, you need not answer, but I must ask. Fairy blood?"

"Yes, Alonzo. So I am told. I can remember anything I hear, often for very long periods. I also seem to have a knack for calming horses, and the Captain says I might have some healing gifts."

Alex had never told anyone else, never, and he found it made him feel slightly awkward, as though bragging.

"It is of no mind, Jade. I, too, have my share of fairy blood. My gift is a secret, as it shall be a surprise for later. In the meantime, this talent of yours will prove most useful. Return to the woodcrafters, with my answers, then back again. Promptly this time, if you please." A hint of a smile took the sting from the small scold, and Alex managed to return it, even if he couldn't help the slightly rueful look that accompanied it.

xx

When he'd gone and come back again, he found Alonzo staring at the pasture once more. Unable to help himself this time, Alex dared ask.

"Alonzo? Sir, may I ask a question?"

"You are wondering, no doubt, at my seeming fascination with yon piles of sheep dung."

"I would not have phrased it such, Sir, but yes."

Alonzo turned back to the table, pointing to the sketches there.

"I had two projects for the master. The first, the large clock, which he would like for the main hall of the keep. Second, is a new sheep run."

He drew up a large piece of vellum, and Alex saw that it was a sketch of the pasture and outbuildings surrounding it. Alonzo put a fingertip on the square in the middle that was the pasture.

"Here is my problem. This pasture is fine for holding the sheep for a few hours. However, the master would like a separate pen and run for sheep waiting to be shorn, one that would allow them to be brought into the shearing sheds and a way to release them back into the main pasture beyond this one. Normally this would not be a problem, a simple matter of gates and fencing, but look here."

Now Alonzo pointed to a small square with a separate fencing.

"The dog kennels. They lie between the only gate to the main pasture and the main gate to the shearing sheds. When there were but a few dogs, it made no matter, but with the dogs now being bred for sale, the numbers are an issue. If I drive them past the kennel yards, we are speaking of a tight corner, and sheep, blessed soft creatures that they are, do not square well. If I take them around front, then they pass next to the whelping runs, and nervous mothers make for bad deliveries. I could make the run on the other side of the sheds, but I should need to make a large hole in the wall, and there would still be an issue of them being released out the kennel side, and a corner."

Alonzo looked thoughtfully at the paper, and Alex, too, thought hard, then moved to the doorway, looking out. He saw from the doorway what the paper had shown, that the building where the sheep needed to be, was in a corner of the pasture, no more than ten feet between it and the kennel yard, where even now, at least twenty pups and some dozen older dogs were playing loudly. To the other side lay the main pasture gate, which opened into the next corner, the three things filling one long side of a narrow rectangle.

"I see."

"Aye, but do you see a solution? The problem's plain enough." Alonzo sighed, muttering as he came to join Alex in the doorway. "It's a simple matter of space. There simply isn't ground room for what the master wishes."

Alex let his eyes wander as he thought, just looking out at the fields and the interconnecting gates and fences. There was no fencing on the forest side, of course, the trees making their own barrier to most of the animals. As his eyes found the aviary, Alex had a sudden thought.

Biting his lip, unsure whether or not to offer the suggestion, he looked at Alonzo, frowning at the pens. "Sir?"

"Yes, Jade?"

"I have an idea, though it may not be a good one."

"If it is not, then we are none the worse off. And many a good idea has come from the bad ones that preceded it. We can learn much from our mistakes, Jade, it is often well worth the risk of making them." Alex smiled at this subtle imparting of wisdom.

"You sound like the master. He does that, tells us things to help us, wrapped up in whatever else we're talking about."

"That is quite the compliment, Jade, do you think so. Thank you. And now, what is this idea, for my only thought is to wonder how necessary the sheep really are." Alonzo was teasing him gently, but Alex could see the pleasure in his face at having been compared to the master.

"Yes, Alonzo. If I may?" Here Alex pointed to the sheets, and at Alonzo's nod, used his finger to trace a small line across the kennel outline.

"Through the kennels?" Alonzo was gently doubtful, and Alex appreciated his careful tone.

"No, sir, I do not think it as bad an idea as that. But, well, I was looking at the aviary, the top floor of it, and..."

"Over the kennels!" Alonzo's face was instantly filled with comprehension, and taking up the char stick, his fingers began to fly over the paper. He sketched a small pen connecting to the solid side wall of the kennels, a large curving ramp into the top of the shearing sheds, and an equally large curving ramp back out again, connecting it to the main pasture by adding a new gate to the fencing there. He was talking quietly but excitedly to himself, figures and measures, and Alex found himself staring at the man.

The dark eyes were alive with thought and concentration, the face animated with intensity. The lips were pursed slightly, and quirked even more than normally as Alonzo worked, lean fingers smoothly laying the grey lines onto the vellum, drawing the changes and scribbling numbers and notes within the sketches themselves.

Alex had thought him attractive before, but now, he was truly handsome, and Alex wondered what it would be like to have that mouth pressed to his own, to feel those skillful fingers skimming along his body. A faint pulse of desire pleased him, even as it surprised, and Alex looked up to see that Alonzo had finished his sketching and noticed Alex's stillness.

"Jade?"

"I was just thinking how handsome you were, S—Alonzo." Alex dipped his head as he said it, feeling the now familiar warmth in his face and chest. The seneschal approached him slowly, and used the fingertip of his right pointer to raise Alex's face back up.

"I am glad you find me so, for I think you most beautiful, little Jade." Alex found himself staring again, into those darkly fevered eyes, and without thinking about it, stepped closer, tilting his face up in invitation.

Alonzo accepted, and the kiss was warm, careful without being hesitant, and drew a small breath of pleasure from Alex when it ended.

"I liked that." Alex felt his heart pound as a lightly calloused thumb brushed across his bottom lip.

"As did I. It is my hope you shall allow me to do such again, later this even."

"And more besides." Alex whispered it, and Alonzo reassured and rewarded him with another, very brief touch of his lips.

"I would like nothing more than to continue tasting you, sweet one, but now is not the time nor this the place." With an apologetic look of regret, Alonzo stepped back, but did not look away. "A drink of something cold would be most welcome. What say we go back to the keep and fetch some provisions? You can tell me why the master was yelling at the cat earlier, and I can clear my head."

"The cool air would feel good." With a shy smile, Alex followed Alonzo out the door, and they moved in companionable quiet down the path.

xx

In the keep, Alex got them both a drink of the watered wine, and small plate of cheese to go with the pears already on the table.

"Excellent. I would hear the story now, please." Alonzo sat back in his chair, using a thin bladed knife to carve slivers of the cheese, eating it between bites of the ripe pear.

Alex took a sip, and explained to Alonzo. It was only when he was halfway through his story, that he thought to be concerned for what the other man might think of him. The idea so startled him, that he trailed off, mid-sentence.

"What is it, Jade? What has upset you?" The eyes were full of care, the voice held concern, the tone was solicitous, and Alex relaxed some.

"I just suddenly began to wonder what you might be thinking of me, for worshiping as I do. That perhaps, you would think me very foolish, or that you might laugh at me."

"Jade, I would never mock someone for what they felt so deeply. Do I share your belief in the Goddess? No, but neither do I share Fitz's belief in his God, nor even the Gods of the sea folk at my keep. But I respect those beliefs, respect them deeply. It is what we believe in that maintains us, keeps us human, keeps us focused on a life apart from our own, and that is very important. No, Jade, I do not think you foolish, nor would I laugh at you. You have a sincere belief and you act upon it to the best of your abilities, and that deserves a sober mein and respect." Alonzo saw clearly that the younger man believed him, and added teasingly, "Besides, the list of those waiting to do me grave harm, should I hurt you, is long and grows by the hour I am here. You are clearly under the protection of a force far greater than myself, and so Danally shall have my highest regards, as shall you."

Alex chuckled, and reached out, lightly covering the seneschal's dark hand with his own paler one. "Thank you, Alonzo."

"You are most welcome, Jade. Now, I was quite enjoying listening to you. Perhaps you would continue your tale?"

Alex happily obliged, only smiling when Alonzo shifted his hand enough to hold Alex's own. They were sitting like that, holding hands and talking, when Thomas came in.

"May I join you?" He asked Alonzo, of course, and was oddly relieved when the seneschal motioned to the bench across from them. "Thank you, Sir. Hello, Jade."

"Thomas."

The boy picked up a pear, and bit into it with relish. "My lord, may I ask what you see in Jade that would make you choose him over me? I must admit, my lord, I do not see it."

Alex was startled, until he caught the glint of mischief in his friend's eye. Looking to Alonzo, he found a similar glint, and a wink, unseen by Thomas. He was being urged silently to play along, and with a faint nod, agreed.

"Perhaps if you tried looking at Jade, rather than into the mirror?"

Alex bit his top lip to keep from laughing at the look on Thomas's face, though he knew the boy was amused. Thomas loved insult play, so long as it was meant in jest, as this was.

"Ah, but if I did that, I should have to wonder why I was pining for you, not him."

"But my dear boy, already know the answer to that. You may try for Jade anytime. You have only a few days to work your charms on me."

Thomas laughed, inclining his head in a gesture of defeat. "Well done, my lord. Alas, I am resigned to sighing hopelessly at both of you."

"But since you only do it to earn sympathy from the kitchen girls, you do not mind overmuch." Alex offered it with a flash of bright grin, the most honest smile Alonzo had seen from the boy yet. Thomas, laughing with his friend, didn't miss the look of appreciation on the seneschal's face, but he saw also pleasure, the same pleasure the master showed when one of the new slaves finally learned to laugh. It relieved Thomas much, and with a clap of his hand to Alex's shoulder, he stood, bowing to Alonzo.

"I think I shall see if there is any to be found now. I shall see you this even, Jade. Good day to you, my lord."

"Good day, Thomas."

xx

After a few moments, they stood, too, heading back to the workshed. Alonzo sent Alex to find the master and Drell, asking them both to join him. When Alex returned after delivering the messages, both men assuring him they would be along shortly, Alonzo handed him a knotted length of rope.

"Here," he said, giving one end to Alex. "You will hold this end by this knot. I will play out the line and count the knots, letting me have my measure. If I call them out, will you be able to remember them, in the correct order?"

"Yes, Alonzo, do you tell me which measure it is."

"So, if I say to you, ramp length 10 knots?"

"I shall remember it as ramp length, 10 knots."

"That is a most handy gift, Jade. Most handy. I could use someone with your talent at my keep. We'll start with you here, I think." Alonzo began his measuring, and Alex paid attention, listening carefully, but part of his mind was busy with a strange, new thought.

He could leave.

Alonzo could buy him from the master, and he could go back with him, work toward his freedom price there. And Moss and Sable would be free of him, free to enjoy each other, without the hindrance of him, his presence.

The thought pained him so sharply he gasped, hiding it behind clearing his throat, when Alonzo glanced at him. The thought of leaving Samstar Fields, leaving Fitz and Thomas, Drell and even Leona and Marita was painful enough. The idea of leaving Sable and the master, nearly unbearable. And yet, yet it would solve so many problems. He need never tell the master the truth of his origins. He would not have to worry that they were loving him from a sense of obligation. Alex could give them each other, free and clear, without his presence to mar things.

"Jade?" Alonzo's voice was soft, and very close to him. Looking up, Alex felt his emotions threaten to overwhelm him, but a deep breath held them back.

"Yes, my lord?"

"Did you hear the last measure?"

"Front rampart, four knots."

"Very well. It's just that you looked rather elsewhere for a bit. Do you hurt?"

"I'm fine, my lord."

"Jade, I do not know you well, not yet, but I feel sure that is untrue, and this time I do not tease when I say I feel you have lied to me. Have you, Jade?"

"Yes, sir, in letter, if not in spirit. I am not unwell. I do not hurt in my body."

"Ah. Then it was a thought that pained you?"

"Yes, sir. I had a sudden thought, and it was strong, very strong. Not really unpleasant, but...sharp. A sharp thought. I'm sorry, Alonzo, I can't explain it better than that. And I'm sorry I lied to you. I'll understand, if you wish to punish me." It was hard to think of being punished by Alonzo, when he'd just begun to think of being kissed by him. It was one thing for Sable and the master to both kiss and punish, another for this man. He started to understand some of the struggle Sable and the master must have had early on in their relationship. The thought of them brought an echo of the earlier pain, but it was fading. Alex would think of that later, when he was alone.

"No, of course not. We can none of us predict when our minds will provide us with some small shock. And you knew I was asking about your physical health, so it was not a real lie. As you say, you were true to the spirit, if not the letter. We'll say no more about it, Jade. But know this, if there is any way I can help you, I will."

"Thank you." Alex looked up, feeling better, and shyly pressed a quick kiss to Alonzo's cheek.

"You are most welcome, especially if that is how you show your gratitude." He winked, and Alex grinned, his attention drawn to the sight of Drell making his way over from the kennels, and the master approaching from the keep.

"Ah, they're here. Take the sticks and re-char them, Jade, then bring some cooled ash out with you."

"Yes, Sir."

Alex obeyed, coming out of the room to find the master just approaching. He handed the sticks to Alonzo, and set the ash bucket and shovel down near him.

"Bring the sketch, please, Jade."

Alex did so, arriving with it just as the master took the last step beside Alonzo. The man smiled at Alex brightly, and the thought of never seeing that look again made Alex freeze with the pain. Swearing mentally, but glad he could hide behind the vellum, Alex used the flapping parchment as a cover, until he could meet the man's gaze with nothing but calm pleasure.

Alonzo had caught it, though he said nothing, merely determined to speak with the slave later. He couldn't help but feel he needed to know what was going on in that lovely head. Carefully easing those thoughts aside, he took the parchment from Jade, held it open, then motioned for him to hold it again.

"The solution to your problem, Fox, and an easing of your fears, Drell. Behold, the answer."

Both men drew close, examining the drawing and then exclaiming over it.

"Wonderful! Though I can't wait to see what the dogs will make of sheep tramping overhead. Still, with it just crossing the play yard, there can be no harm, and it shouldn't disturb the bitches at all."

"An ideal solution, Alonzo, perfect!"

"Do not thank me, it was Jade that figured it out. He's quite bright, Fox."

"I know. He learned to read faster than any slave I'd ever seen. He grasps things, ideas, concepts, catches them whole out of the air, nearly. It's wonderful."

Alex, blushing hotly at being praised so, murmured softly, "I thank you, both, and I would remind you I am standing just in front of you."

A laugh, and the master reached out, hugging Alex around the shoulders, then ruffling his hair.

"Yes, you are. Thank you, Jade, your help is much appreciated, as always."

"You're welcome."

Drell interrupted, sensing the boy needed a moment out of the spotlight. "So, where will this lie, exactly?"

Alonzo took the bucket of ashes, and began to sprinkle a line curving from the main gate to the side of the kennels. He spoke as he walked, and Alex quickly moved forward to carry the bucket for him, following as the man traced the patterns on the ground, measuring roughly by strides as he did so.

It made it clear to everyone, combined with the drawing, and when he was done, Alex brought him the bucket of water and a cloth. Alonzo didn't even look at him as he washed, speaking to the master, but he threw a thank you over his shoulder, before going back to his explanations.

"Jade, a stick and the small paper, please."

Alex brought them, and a series of note-taking began. Nearly an hour later it ended, with many trips from the work table to the pasture and back. Alex repeated measurements until his throat was dry, and paced and held rope, ash and paper while the abstract took its first step toward the concrete.

It was only when the noon bell rang that the men stopped.

"If you'll pardon me, Fox, I'd prefer to work here, while things are still fresh."

"Of course. Jade can bring you a basket." Alex waited for the nod, and then started to move off to the kitchens, only to be halted by Alonzo's voice.

"Jade, while you're there, let Leona know we wish to make use of the salon tonight. Tell her I will pay her this even."

"Yes, Alonzo."

"And see that she makes an extra dessert. I understand you are fond of such things." The dark eyes cut with amusement to the master, who delighted Alex by blushing guiltily, and looking studiously at the ground. Alex smiled, nodded, and took his leave.

xx

Inside, he made his way to the kitchens, passing Marita as he did so.

"So? Tell me all about him, but do so quickly, there are platters to place."

"I can't. I have to arrange a basket, we're working through lunch. I, um, I also have to tell Leona that Alonzo wants to reserve the salon for tonight."

"Oh, Jade! Oh, how perfect! And so romantic, you must be excited."

"I am. And now I must hurry, I've gotten into trouble twice today already, I don't wish to add a third. But I will talk with you when I can." He'd grown very fond of her, and now he briefly placed a hand on her shoulder as he moved deeper into the kitchens. He found Leona easily enough, and delivered his message. She beamed at him, happy for the young man. She agreed to provide the salon, and arranged for a basket quickly.

When Alex got back, Alonzo was staring at the wall of the kennels, hands in his pockets. He didn't look like he was figuring something out, looked more like he was drifting mentally, just watching some inner stream meander.

"I have the basket, Alonzo. Where shall I set up?"

"In front of the fire, on the floor, please." The voice sounded far away, but Alex only moved to obey. Soon, he had their food set up, and Alonzo had come inside, closing the door partly behind him.

He took his spot, and pulled out his watch, and they observed the minute of silence. When it was ended, Alex waited for Alonzo to fix his plate.

"Thank you, Jade, but you need not wait for me. Eat, little one."

Alex filled a plate, and then gathered his nerve.

"Alonzo? May I ask you something?"

"Of course, Jade."

"Are you feeling well?"

Alonzo smiled, and turned to Alex, eyes focusing, really seeing him again.

"Yes, I am. You noticed my attention wandering, and perhaps thought me sad or unwell?" At Alex's nod, Alonzo sighed, took a bite of his buttered bread, and chewed thoughtfully. "No, Jade. Not either. Truth be told, I was thinking of the past, my time here as a boy, as a slave. Of Lord William." Here the man's eyes grew icily cold, and seemed to be suddenly without spark. There was hate in that tone, and a deep anger.

"I have never heard anyone say his name without hate or anger, or both."

"There is good reason for that, Jade. He was a cruel, cold man, and treated none of his slaves as badly as he did his own son. Were he not already dead, there are many that would see him so, myself included. The fact that he is without doubt being tormented endlessly in whatever hell to which you ascribe, is little comfort for what he did to Fox."

Now the man stopped, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. His body lost some of the tension, and when he opened his eyes again, he was more himself.

"And I will waste no more thought or time on him now. Instead, perhaps you could tell me a bit about yourself? Nothing too personal, only something you wish to share."

"Very well." Alex paused, thinking a moment of something he could share."I love riding. Sable's been teaching me since my first week here. Jessopa is my lovely lady, and she sulks do I ride another. I am very fond of her, and though I haven't spoken of it to anyone yet, I plan to ask the master for permission to buy her. I think he might grant it, I know Lang has a horse. It will cost me nothing to ask."

"Is that the dark filly I saw you ride to the Captain's hut?"

"Yes."

"Ah, so that is Jessopa. My own horse seemed quite smitten with her."

"The big stallion was yours?"

"That would be Deviant, yes. I named him such because from the moment of his breech birth, he's done nothing according to expectation. He is bigger by a hand and a half than either dam or sire, and still growing, the brute. He is stubborn, willful and sneaky. He is afraid of nothing, not even when he should be, and unlike any horse I've ever seen, loves to swim."

"Swim?"

"Aye. My keep is next to the ocean, and when we are home, the horse flings himself into the sea and frolics for hours while my groomsmen fume and swear." Alonzo grinned, taking another bite of his meat. "They do not understand why I would allow such an expensive beast to risk drowning, but the truth is, I have not the heart to deny him. Deviant is so obviously at peace in the water, it brings him great joy, and harms no one else. How could I refuse?"

Alex, looking at the austere face, was suddenly moved to impulse. Reaching out, he placed a light, brief kiss on one high cheekbone.

"I do not mind in the least, but I am curious. How did I earn such tribute?" Alonzo's voice reflected the warmth and curiosity of his eyes, and Alex smiled.

"I'm not sure. I think it was for being the kind of man that could be cruel, knows cruelty well, and chooses not to be, without thinking anything of the choice."

Alonzo reached out, cupping Alex's face in one lean hand. "May I?"

Shyly, but with pleasure, Alex nodded. Alonzo kissed him, really kissed him, the mouth covering his with a definite intent. As Alonzo's tongue made a thorough exploration of Alex's mouth, his arms wrapped around Alex, drawing him closer. When Alonzo used his hold to ease Alex onto his back, covering the younger man with his body, Alex gave a small moan of pleasure.

"Remember, Jade, you may stop me at any time."

"I do not wish to." Alex breathed it against Alonzo's neck, offering his own to the sharp teeth so very lightly nipping. Alonzo shifted as he again moved to claim Alex's mouth, and the seneschal's hardness brushed against Alex's own.

Alex gasped, the sensations taking him unaware.

"Oh, Goddess, that feels so good, Alonzo." It was an intense whisper, and when one of Alonzo's hands stroked across the stiffened peak of a nipple, Alex couldn't help a tiny buck.

"Little one, Jade..." Alonzo, to Alex's frustration and confusion, had gone still above him. The man was panting lightly against the side of Alex's neck, but made no move to kiss him there again.

"Alonzo? Have I done something wrong?"

"No, little one, nothing wrong at all." Alonzo rolled slightly to the side, easing back enough for Alex to see his face. "You are lovely and wonderfully receptive, Jade. I ache for you, and you will have felt the proof of that, I know."

"Then why did you stop? I liked it, I wasn't frightened, honest."

"I am very glad to hear it, Jade. No, I sensed you weren't frightened. I stopped because it is the middle of the day and we are at work. I stopped because the door is not even closed, and we are in a public place. I stopped because I have no ointment nor lambskins. I stopped, little one, because I care about you and because I respect you. I will not use you like this, no matter how much we might both wish it. It would be wrong, and I will not hurt you, nor will I treat you shabbily. Should you grant me the honor of loving you this way, it will be done properly, or not at all."

Alex was stunned. Never had his feelings been given a thought during a coupling, much less his dignity and pride. That this man knew him for a slave, made it all the more astonishing. A master denying his own pleasure out of regard for the slave? Unheard of. Alex had known Alonzo was a gentle man, like the master, but now he saw further. Lord Fox was not the only man that could own a slave and yet wish him free, and treat him so. This was no show of mercy on Alonzo's part, but a true and genuine part of the man's nature, a deeply held morality that was no mimicry of the master's, but a twin of it, fully formed and independent.

"I had not thought to find one good man that called himself master. Now, I know there are two, and suddenly the world seems less hopeless than it once did. But your refusal to treat me as a slave makes me the more devotedly your servant, Alonzo. Do you know this, having been a slave? Is it why you say Lord Fox will always be the master to you?"

"Yes." The word was soft, bundled in meanings. "He will never call me slave again, yet my soul knows that it belongs to him. The man could make use of me as a footstool, and I should only be glad for the chance to serve him."

A faint smile appeared, and Alonzo sat up, drawing Alex up to sit next to him. Facing the younger man, Alonzo gently took hold of his shoulders, and spoke with a great earnestness, the very mildest of shakes emphasizing his words.

"Jade, that feeling, that depth of devotion is what makes what we do so dangerous. It is why the master has waited years before claiming Sable, why I court you with such caution. It is, perhaps, why your Goddess urges you to seek companionship elsewhere, before returning to the master and Sable. It would be very easy for me to take advantage of you, Jade. Very easy. Even more so for the master. He has given you a new life, a new world to live within, you feel your gratitude with every breath. You owe him everything, in your heart it is how you feel, and so you would give him everything, and gladly so."

Now, the hands slid down and off gently, Alonzo looking into the fire.

"And that would be cheating him, Jade. He deserves to be loved aside from who he is as the master. He needs more than devotion and gratitude, though he deserves them both. Fox had to know that Sable loved him for who he was, not just what he was. He needed to know that what was given, was given from a selfish need to take pleasure, not just a devoted and grateful slave offering repayment for kindness shown. There is a crude phrase among the King's soldiers, perhaps you have heard it? A mercy fuck."

Alex nodded, he'd serviced enough guardsmen to know the words.

"It is wrong to show another pity with pleasure. It cheapens, makes what happens between lovers a lie. It is no different from the other side. It makes of lovers nothing but whores, using the flesh as coin, as fair trade for sparing that flesh. Wrong, utterly wrong, both in the giving and the accepting as due. That is what would happen did you sleep with the master out of your slave's love for him."

Alex's brows were drawn together sharply, as he tried to take in what he was being told, words that flew in the face of all he'd ever known before, and yet took it farther than the master had shown him, either. He could hear the pain in Alonzo's voice, and knew the man was speaking from experience, whether as the master or the slave, he wasn't sure. Possibly both, but the next words leant themselves to the suggestion of a master.

"And how is he to know, whether you sigh with genuine satisfaction, or from relief the task is over? How is he to know, that your hands tremble from passion, and not with effort? How does a man who knows that he may kill the slave at his whim, believe that his slave acts out of anything except self-preservation? It is hard for you to trust the master, Jade. It is harder still for him to trust you."

"And you, Alonzo? Do you trust me? Do you feel I act from my station?"Alex asked it with the gravity it deserved, needing to know.

Some of the harsher lines left the sharp face, replaced by an easy slanting of lip and lid.

"No, little one. I know you do not. Had you been pretending, you would have been smart enough to keep your love for Sable and the master a secret. Instead, it was nearly the first thing you offered, as well as the information that you sought another only at the direction of your Goddess. No, Jade, I am fortunate in knowing you seek me for pleasure's sake. You are curious, as I am, and I am more than willing to satisfy that curiosity for both of us. But I know you do not love me, nor will you, not as you do Fox and Sable. And because you offer yourself as a freeman would, I can accept your gifts as freely as one that does not hold the whip."

Alex waited only a moment, then followed his instincts. Kneeling up, he slowly moved in front of Alonzo, and then settled himself in the man's lap, curling into the embrace as he'd done with Sable. The arms around him were not as thick, but they were still strong, still sure, and the heart under his ear just as steady, if a bit quick.

Alonzo said nothing for a long moment, merely allowed them both the chance to recoup. He pressed a kiss to the gleaming chestnut of Alex's crown, and allowed himself a tiny pat to the well-shaped rear.

"Up you get. Fox will have us both across his desk, does he catch us slacking so." It wasn't true, of course, but a good enough way of saying that they would have to wait until the even to do or say more.

Alex stood, holding out his hand to Alonzo. The seneschal took it, allowing the slave to pull him to his feet.

"Thank you. And now, if you will take the basket back to the kitchens, I shall begin sketching the plans in earnest. On your way back, stop by the smith's, see if Earlic has any questions."

"Yes, Alonzo."

Alex packed their dishes up, and headed for the keep, grateful for the moment alone. He had much to think about, not the least of which was his earlier plan to leave Samstar Fields.

xx

Chapter Nine

The afternoon was busy. Alonzo kept not only Alex, but also Joseph running errands back and forth between the blacksmith's, the wool sheds and the kennels. Joseph was charged with basic messages, returning items and the like, while Alex was given entire dialogues to send back and forth. His gift had never been more useful, and now, as he gave the last of what would have been an entire sheaf of questions and commentary from the wood-wright, Alonzo graced him with a broad smile. Joseph had been sent along, the work for the day now finished.

"Jade, little one," Alonzo stood, stretching the muscles of his back, "you are a wonder. That gift is one of the more useful I've yet to see, healing skills aside. I shall have to see if I can find an assistant similarly gifted, upon my return. It would be even more valuable to me, living so far from anyone. A boat trip is required for nearly anything, and days are often lost for want of some trivial bit of information that was discussed, but not recorded. It would be most helpful, indeed."

Alonzo trailed off, noticing again that shadow passing over the handsome face of the young slave. Thinking on what in his last words could have caused such, Alonzo cast back further, finding the pattern for each time he'd seen that look.

"I would not buy you, Jade."

The words made Alex start visibly, and for a brief moment, he panicked. Alonzo saw this, and put a gentling hand on one shoulder, steadying Alex with the touch.

"Easy, little one, no need for fear. You are safe. Easy." Alonzo murmured it, until he saw the color return to the features, and the green eyes raised to meet his own.

"I am fine now, sir." The last word belied this, but Alonzo let it go.

"We will talk about this later, Jade. And make no mistake, it will be a most serious discussion. I will further warn you that if I should be unsatisfied with the result, then I will go to Fox with it and you. Am I understood, Jade?" The voice, while careful and calm, was pure steel, and Alex swallowed hard, recognizing that Alonzo was speaking as the master, and not his would be suitor.

"Yes, Alonzo. Y-you will have me punished, if you feel I lie to you in this matter." A finger of dread snaked along Alex's spine, and he shuddered, was unable to suppress it, as he realized he would have to tell Alonzo what he was thinking, or risk disappointing the master. Lord Fox would not be pleased to hear his slave had lied to one of his oldest friends. There were no lies at Samstar Fields, that had been his rule even when Alonzo was still a slave. The spanking would be nothing, the master's hurt would be awful.

Seeing the boy's face, Alonzo relaxed a bit. The green eyes were troubled but resigned, and Alonzo knew enough of this fascinating creature to know that he'd hear the truth tonight. With that settled between them, Alonzo let the hand on Alex's shoulder turn into a light embrace. Unsure if his touch would be welcome after putting each of them so firmly back into their stations, Alonzo gave a small sigh of relief when the young man shyly not only stepped more into the hold, but wrapped his own arms around Alonzo's waist.

"You thought I would not want your touch, having shown your hand?" To show one's hand was to reveal one's status. The master's hand held a whip, the slave's had a cuff around the wrist. It didn't refer to a literal image, of course, merely an attitude. It was slave short speak, and Alonzo recognized it from his own past.

"I thought you might wish some time between being threatened and being comforted. I do not think you so shallow as to hold a grudge when I am what I must be. Still, there is a shift in our perceptions, each time we move from role to role, and that may sometimes require a moment for adjustment."

Alonzo said this into the top of Alex's hair, holding the slender form in an affectionate hug. He was content to remain that way, simply holding the slave close, for easily a week, but a glance at the sky outside showed it darkening, and Alonzo knew that it would soon be time for the even meal. He gave himself a moment longer, and then began to ease back. The arms around him tightened just a fraction, and Alex opened his mouth to say something, then closed it.

Without releasing him, Alonzo asked softly, "What is it you fear to say, little one?"

"Don't. Don't let go, not just yet, please? I-I am not ready to be out of your arms." Alex held his breath. He'd learned to ask for things, since coming to this paradise, but Alex had never before dared to ask a master for more of a touch, more attention. He was rewarded by the seneschal's hold tightening again, and with a small sound of pleasure, Alex pressed himself more closely to Alonzo's chest.

"Oh, Jade, I am grateful for your honest heart, and your brave soul. And so I will be honest in return. My arms are not yet ready to let you go, either. You feel good to hold, Jade. Very good."

"You, as well, Alonzo." The murmur of his name from those full lips was more than Alonzo could stand, and he tilted the handsome face up. Alex gave his consent for the kiss by initiating it, lifting his mouth to Alonzo's. It was slow and it was tender, but there was nothing subtle about it. It was a kiss that made Alex feel a flush of warmth through his whole being, and without thought, he opened his mouth to Alonzo, inviting the careful touch of tongue to his own.

They kissed for a long time, neither man trying to do any more, despite the desire they both felt. Alonzo ignored his own passion, focusing instead on learning this much more of Jade. He made note of the young man's breathing, his slight tremble, his shy movements; and while a part of Alonzo wanted nothing more than to take what was being so sweetly offered, the larger part was more than satisfied with simply bringing this slow flood of pleasure to a slave that had scarce known any.

It was only when the warning bell rang for even meal, that Alonzo took a few more, smaller kisses, and then slowly let go.

"Until later, my sweet one." Kissing the back of the hand he still held, Alonzo gave a small bow, and left.

Alex watched him leave, feeling such a mix of emotions that he could barely breathe. It had been so simple, while being held in Alonzo's arms, to think of nothing but the feelings, all so good, all so wondrous. Now, watching the man walk back to the keep, Alex was suddenly overwhelmed by thoughts of Sable and Moss, of duty and honor and love and lust and obedience and...and it was too much. He needed help, needed to talk, and with even meal scarcely an hour away, needed it quickly.

He headed for the keep, not sure where he was actually going, until he arrived in Fitz's rooms. The priest was wiping down a set of glass jars, and smiled when he saw Alex. The smile faded as he took in the confusion, the anxiety in the dark green eyes.

Fitz had ever trusted his heart in such matters, and now, he made no move toward Alex, simply put down his things, and motioned to his personal chambers.

"Come, child. I will listen." It was a priest's promise and a priest's tone, and Alex responded to it gratefully, nodding, even as he moved to the door. He entered, sitting in one of the chairs, and Fitz followed, closing the door. The man paused, then grinned as he held it open again, and Danally darted in.

The cat ran to Alex, leaping at once into his lap, and Alex lowered his forehead to hers, closing his eyes. After a moment, Danally reached up and batted Alex's mouth. When he nodded, she settled into his lap, curling with her head against his stomach. Alex didn't stroke her, merely let his hands rest on either side of her, as though keeping her safe within his lap.

"Jade, your goddess is with you. Do you wish me to leave?" Fitz offered it sincerely, but wasn't surprised when Alex shook his head. The young man's voice was husky with emotion, but sincere when he spoke.

"No, Fitz. She has bid me speak, but she means me to confess to you, not to her. I-I have things I must speak of, things that I feel. You have said that I do not offend with my belief. I hope you will find no offense in doing the will of my goddess, as well."

"Jade," Fitz chose his words with great deliberation, "you do not offend, and if I may help you in any way, I will do so to the best of my ability. If you feel your goddess means me to act as priest to you, then so long as her requirements do not conflict with my own, I shall be happy to act on her behalf. I have married couples of a differing faith, baptized children in both oil and water. Acting as the servant of the Lord, whatever form he should take, is not new to me, nor offensive. I am happy to serve."

"Thank you, Fitz." Alex spared a quick glance up at the kind face waiting so patiently, and then closed his eyes again, before taking a deep breath. "I am lost, Fitz. I am lost." The words were a whispered sound of confusion, and Fitz moved to sit beside him, careful to sit beside and not across.

"Tell me, Jade. Tell me all of it." Taking out his rosary, Fitz began to caress the beads, one at a time, solemnly, while the young slave beside him began to speak.

xx

Alex had little practice with confession, had only begun to share his thoughts and feelings with another after arriving here, and so it was hard, knowing how to begin and where. Only the presence of Danally in his lap and the thought of meeting Alonzo in the salon, gave him courage to start.

"I was kissing Alonzo." It seemed the right place, and soon Alex was telling Fitz everything, all of his feelings of conflict, of guilt. His desire for Alonzo seemed at odds with his love for Sable and the master, and yet, he knew it was right that he do this. He felt in within his heart, believed it the will of his goddess. The master, Sable and Thomas had agreed. But he was still afraid. Not of Alonzo, but of seeking his companionship. What should he do? How much of himself should he give? It was all so new, and while Alex yearned for more, he was frightened of what more might mean. He wanted Alonzo to touch him, thought he might even be willing for the man to make use of him, but dreaded it, as well. And if he did give himself to Alonzo, and liked it, he worried that Sable and the master would think he'd given too much. Was he expected to keep himself for them or was he expected to gain experience in this, as well? Would loving Alonzo, not in the way he loved Sable or the master, but a type of love, nonetheless, be a betrayal?

For while he knew he could never feel for Alonzo what he felt for them, Alex had to admit that he did love Alonzo, after a fashion. He knew that it was nothing more than what the kitchen girl had felt for him, a false love, a sort of practice love, so Marita had said, that all young people felt. It was a way of growing into real love, of being ready for it when it was ready for you. Alex was no adolescent physically, but he'd never been allowed to mature in the normal fashion, and now it seemed his soul was attempting to make up those lost years. And like any other adolescent, it was leaving him thrilled, delighted, confused and unsure of himself.

Fitz listened in silence, only the slight click of his beads and the faint rumbling of Danally competing with the sound of Alex's voice. It was stronger with every thought, and now the words tumbled so easily, that Fitz knew the young man was only thinking aloud.

"Fitz, I am lost." Alex ended where he'd begun with this pronouncement, and now his hands did begin to stroke Danally. Fitz stood, poured Alex a measure of wine, and waited until it was gone, before returning to his seat, this time moving the chair so that he sat facing Alex.

"Jade, do you think Moss and Sable should wait their passion on you?" The question took Alex completely off guard, and he looked up at Fitz, startled.

"No, of course not! It is against the very purpose of why I must wait to join them. They need this time, time alone, just for themselves. After so many years of denial, they must have this time to indulge. They need it, Fitz."

"Exactly. Little Jade, you have seen from the beginning that not only were you not ready to share in what they have, but neither are they ready to share it. It is too much, too soon for you, and they must learn to be a couple before they can learn to be a third. Yet, you do not doubt their love for you, do you?"

"No, Fitz."

"And you do not wish them to wait their lovemaking until you join them. You feel no betrayal that they are loving without you, do you? How do you feel, Jade, watching them kiss?"

"It make me glad to see them with each other, touching each other. When I see them kiss, it makes me nearly cry, but with happiness for them. I want to join them, of course. I miss Sable's touch, the master's, too, but I do not begrudge them their pleasure. I want them to know each other this way."

"And it is no different for them, Jade. When they see you with Alonzo, there is a pang of wishing you could be with them, but it is tempered by the knowledge that, for now, he is what you need. What you must have, the end of your many years of denial, the indulgence of your pleasures. You know where your heart lies, Jade, but the heart grows ever more full with love, never lessened by it. There is no shame in feeling for Alonzo, he is a wonderful man, and handsome, and doubtless hand picked by your goddess for his soul."

Danally's tail twitched widely here, and Alex and Fitz both spared the creature a gentle smile.

"It is good that you care for him, Jade. Though I do not judge, I do not care for sharing one's body unless there is some sharing of feeling, as well. It is fine to be a bit in love with Alonzo, indeed, it would be hard not to be so. You do not betray Sable or Moss, they will know that you are but sharing a part of your heart that they have no need of. To see you mooning about will make them happy for you, just as you delight in seeing them stare at one another from across the hall."

Fitz paused, fetching them both a drink of water now, allowing Alex time to ponder, to let these words seek purchase within his heart. After a long moment of quiet, Alex raised his head, eyes much less troubled than before.

"I understand that part now, Fitz. You are right, it is as you say. And so, it must follow that I am not being unfaithful, do I express these other feelings as well. It is my body, and my choice to use it. Alonzo will force nothing, I have no fear of that. I could share his bed naked and bound, and he would not force me."

"True. Though he would surely need some form of relief after a night of such torment." Fitz offered it lightly, and while Alex felt himself blush, he chuckled slightly at the tease.

"Fitz!"

"My apologies, Jade." There was warm affection in the light blue eyes, and Alex was glad to feel he was again with Fitz, his friend, and no longer with Fitz, the priest. Alex took another deep breath releasing it on a sigh.

"So, I should do what my heart bids, follow where it leads, tempered with what I know of myself and my soul."

"Always the best advice, Jade, you will seldom go wrong, do you follow that path. Though it is often not the easiest path." There was a hint of concern in Fitz's voice now, and Alex nodded, biting slightly at his bottom lip.

"Fitz, I meant it earlier when I said I thought I might even be ready to give myself to Alonzo. In my mind and in my heart, I can see it happening, if not tonight, and I think I would not regret it. And yet, I am afraid of the act itself. Will it hurt badly? And he mentioned ointment and lambskins, I do not know what he means by that. And what lies between kissing him and being taken? I am no virgin, to be sure, and yet I know nothing of what a couple does. Please, Fitz, I would not bring up painful memories for you, but you said I could come to you with questions like these."

"I meant it, Jade. You will cause me no pain with your questions, my word. Not that I would dare lie, the master would have my hide, the Lord my soul." Again, a twinkle of humor, and Alex relaxed, knowing he honestly wasn't going to hurt Fitz by speaking of such.

"Then, please, will you tell me? Teach me what to do, what to know? Not as a pleasure slave," Alex said the words softly, believing Fitz, but seeing no reason to not take care, "but as a man, lying with another man for the sake of the pleasure it may bring us both."

Fitz, eyes sparkling with his affection for this being, couldn't speak for the lump in his throat. He was so very proud. Clearing his throat, Fitz reached out a hand, placing it atop Alex's head, in a move that spoke of blessing. "It will be an honor, little Jade." With a smile, Fitz removed his hand, and moved to the door, pulling the bell rope there.

Moments later, Thomas appeared, it being part of his duties to be on call to Fitz.

"Thomas, take a message to Seneschal de Singni and to the master. Tell the seneschal that Jade is fine, but will be occupied with me a bit longer, and will be late to supper, with his grace, an hour, at least, perhaps more. Take the same message to the master, and then let me know their reply, if any. And let the kitchens know so the salon meal is not spoiled. Repeat, please."

Thomas did so, eyeing Jade, until his friend noticed and smiled at him, the green eyes showing clearly that all was well.

Reassured, Thomas left to take the message. Fitz moved to his shelves, taking down a book, a small vial and a small wooden box. Moving with it to the floor, he patted the space beside him. Danally had left when Thomas did, giving Alex a head nudge and then leaping down and away. Thus unencumbered, Alex moved to sit beside Fitz.

"I am going to start simply, Jade, by telling you the correct name for things and their true purpose. After that, we will discuss what other use may be made of such interesting parts." Fitz grinned, deliberately keeping things light. Jade would not be the first young man to receive this lecture, nor would he be the last. Years of practice ensured that Fitz was easy with the talk, and could thus put the recipient at ease. Opening the book to a place well-thumbed, Fitz revealed a full set of drawings of a man's groin on one page, a woman's on the other. There were different views of each, and some of the drawings made no sense to Alex, but he assumed they were the view from within the body.

Alex quickly averted his eyes from the female form, and Fitz reached for a sheet of vellum, intending to cover it.

"No." It was the sound of someone being brave, not for effect, but because they were tired of being frightened. "Leave it, please, Fitz, and if it will not add to the lesson overmuch, well, I would know the basics of a woman, as well."

"As you wish, Jade." Fitz offered it casually, but only began with the woman's side, wishing to end things on a pleasant note.

Fitz had shown Jade little more than the vagina, when Thomas knocked.

"The master says to take what time you need, he will keep Alonzo company until Jade arrives. The seneschal says that if you wish, Jade, you may make it another night completely, or he will await you later. You may ring for him anytime this even, or he will see you in the morn. He also says that your talk with him will wait. You are to take what time you need, though he will miss you." Thomas said the last with the sound and look of teasing to Alex.

"Thomas." Fitz wasn't truly scolding, simply reminding the boy that his personal inflection had no place in a recitation. The sound of his name in the sober tone was enough, and Thomas lowered his eyes for a moment.

"I'm sorry, Fitz. The kitchens say that you are not to worry, everything will hold for a long time yet, as they don't finish cooking the salon meal until both persons arrive. You may have it at midnight, should you wish, though Leona informs you that you will be cooking it yourself at that hour. That is all, Fitz. Is there a return message?"

"No, thank you, Thomas. That's all."

The boy started to leave, then hesitated. "I'm sorry, Jade, for playing with your message. I won't do it again."

"You did no harm, Thomas. I'll talk with you later." Alex reached up, clasping his friend's hand for a moment, feeling an answering squeeze, before Thomas was gone.

"Jade," Fitz said thoughtfully, "with your consent, since no one seems to mind, we will take this slowly, and in a bit more detail. I know you will remember everything I say, and if there are questions later, you may come back, and ask them. For now, I will tell you all you wish to know, and some I feel you should know. This is important, Jade, or I would not risk ruining your evening plans."

"I know that, Fitz, and I agree. Alonzo would want me to do this instead, just as the master would. I do not mind." With that said, Fitz began.

xx

The pictures were explained, in some detail. After many questions and answers, the vial was opened. Fitz had Alex try to push his finger along the floor, letting Alex sense the resistance and the force necessary. He then used a clean bit of cloth to put a small amount of ointment on Alex's fingertip, then had him try pushing again. The least effort, and the finger slid at once, encountering virtually no resistance. The lesson was easily understood, and Alex felt a great deal of his fear of being taken evaporate. He'd had no idea they made an ointment to encourage the passage, the only slickening he'd ever known was spit and blood, or another man's leavings, none of which had been either pleasant or effective.

The wooden box held something even more bizarre to Alex's eyes. Thin columns of an odd material, a sewn rim around the edge, along with a small lacing. Fitz held it out to him, and Alex saw that it was from an animal of some sort.

"This is a lambskin, Jade. Actually, a sheath made from a membrane of lamb. I am guessing by your face that you have never seen one before."

"Never. What is it for?" Alex was still examining it with no little puzzlement. In answer, Fitz took one of them.

"Hold up two fingers, Jade, and keep them straight." Alex did so, and Fitz slid the open end of one of the tubes down onto his fingers. He said nothing, but then noted the surprise on Alex's face.

"It goes over the organ?"

"Yes, it does."

"To what purpose?"

"There are many reasons for sheathing. Between a man and a woman, it can sometimes prevent a babe. If it is a woman's time, and they still desire intercourse, this will often make her feel less uncomfortable. For men or women, it helps prevent disease. That is doubtless why Alonzo mentioned them. I have always taught the master that if he is going to bed someone, he must be sheathed, and Alonzo would have gotten the same lecture. For a man bedding a slave, it is even more crucial, for no one can be sure what ravages the past has wrought."

"You said I carried no disease."

"True. And you do not, that I can see as yet. But do you know the same of Alonzo? Does he know the same of you? What if he bedded a slave a week ago, and the illness is too new to be found? Does he take you and pass it along, and do you then bed Sable, and he beds the master, do you see how these things go on?"

Alex nodded, eyes wide at the thought. And then he thought of all those who'd used him, all those that had been used alongside him, and often before or after him, and his face paled.

"Please, Fitz, when will you know, for sure, if I am tainted or not? Before I came here...there were many...guards and other slaves... He would send me to the brothels, when he had need of money, they paid more for fairy blood... There were so many..." Alex struggled, his shame and fear robbing him of his ability to speak more coherently.

"Shhh, Jade, shhh." Fitz didn't hesitate, but pulled the younger man into a tight hug, rubbing his hands up and down the trembling back. "Easy, my friend, I did not mean to frighten you so, I'm sorry, Jade. Relax, shhh, hush now, listen, listen to me, little one."

Alex quieted, Fitz's soothing voice and touch able to calm him.

"Good. Now, Jade, you have been here some time now, long enough that I could tell with a single exam whether or not you carried some disease. I do not think you do, if only because you were so roughly used, that you nearly always bled, did you not?"

"Yes, sir." It was testimony to how frightened Alex was, and Fitz cursed himself mentally, even as he kept his voice at the same calm monotone.

"The flow of the blood had a cleansing effect, Jade. Wounds clean themselves, a bit at least, with the flow of blood. Also, you do have some fairy blood, and as such, are immune to most diseases of that sort. Combine those factors and the chances are virtually nil."

Alex gave a deep breath of relief, but he was not completely at ease. "Please, Fitz, would you examine me now? I would know, beyond chance. Please?"

"Of course, Jade. It is a simple exam, and takes only a few moments. But it may be frightening for you. I shall need to examine you in the manner of the slavers, though I will be as gentle as possible, and take every precaution against causing you pain."

Alex bit his lip, thinking hard as he pressed into the flesh with his teeth. Finally, he nodded. "It will be worth it, to know. Besides, I know you would not hurt me on purpose. And...and you do it for my sake, not for your own gain."

"That is most true, Jade. Still, would you like someone to be with you? To help you through it?"

Alex hesitated only a moment, before nodding. "Would you call Thomas? I-I would rather it not be the master or Sable."

"I understand. Of course, Jade. If you'll go into the healing room, I shall be along in a moment."

The healing room was on the other side of Fitz's display room. It was a large room, with nearly as much glass as the sewing room, and large padded tables covered in white linen. Fitz did most of his physician's work there, and while Alex had been there with messages and the like, he'd never been in it as a patient.

Still, it was a cheerful room in the day time, with sunlight streaming through very thin curtains of finely woven fabric, allowing the light, but ensuring privacy. Going in now, Alex saw that the curtains shielded the night, softening it somewhat. There was a single candle lit, and the fire was banked, but Fitz soon came in, lighting easily a dozen candles set around the walls, and bringing an oil lamp close to the table. Thomas arrived, and Fitz called to let him know where they were.

"Yes, Fitz?"

"Thomas, Jade needs to be examined. It's a check for intimate disease, Thomas, and Jade is understandably concerned. Would you mind staying with him, to help him ease his fears?"

"Of course not." Thomas moved to stand in front of Alex, and took both of his hands, squeezing tightly, before raising them to just in front of Alex's lacings, careful not to actually touch the older man. "The first thing we must do is get you undressed, while Fitz prepares. May I help you with that, Jade?"

Alex felt the hot color in his face, but nodded. His hands were shaking too badly to undo his laces, something Thomas had doubtless noticed and he was grateful that Thomas merely began undoing his ties, and slipping out the knots. He folded each item of clothing as he removed it, and Alex took comfort from the small gesture of respect.

"You will need to be naked, Jade, but you need not be exposed, nor suffer the chill in here." Thomas moved to a stack of clean linen, and picked up a sheet, draping it around Alex's shoulders. It was better, the dignity of cover, and warmer as well, and Alex was able to let Thomas remove his under garments without much more discomfort. He knew it wasn't Fitz and the examination that was frightening him, but the past. Memories of other hands, other touches, other times when he had been naked, in a room with men - or worse, women - and about to be breached. Alex tried to relax, to keep himself in the present, and focused on the healer. Fitz had been gathering items, and now was washing his hands, the water steaming, using lots of the soft soap curds.

"Lie on the table, please, Jade." Fitz turned, and showed Alex what he held in his hand. It was a glove of sorts, made from the same lamb membranes they'd just been looking at. Fitz also held a vial of the ointment, and he made a point of putting the glove on, and then anointing the fingers of the gloved hand with plenty of the salve. Alex was lying on the table, urged onto his side by Thomas. The young man moved a stool, and now took a seat, putting himself on eye level with Alex, and reaching out to hold both of his hands again.

Fitz moved behind Alex, humming softly, more to let Alex know where he was, and to prepare him, than for want of a tune. He adjusted the sheet, touching it in front of Alex, before letting his hand, in Alex's sight, move lightly to Alex's leg. Bending the top one up, Fitz spoke quietly.

"Jade, I'm going to touch you now. I will try to keep my touch as brief as possible, and I will do my best to see that you do not hurt, though I cannot promise, for I have never examined you inside, and do not know what damage may lie within. There may be discomfort, that cannot be helped, but there should be no serious pain. If there is a sharpness, a stabbing feeling, you must say so at once, do you understand?"

"Yes, Master." It came out without Alex even noticing, and Fitz was heartbroken for him, knowing just how many fears the slave was fighting. Still, dragging things along would make it worse, so he ignored the word, and simply reached to move the sheet from where it covered Alex's backside.

Just as he did so, Danally was suddenly there.

Fitz's first reaction was to pitch the feline out as soon as possible, but then he bit his lip, saying nothing. The room could be cleaned again, Alex might need Danally. Indeed, she had jumped up on the table, and now sat in front of his groin, putting one light paw up onto his newly revealed hip.

As soon as she touched him, Alex relaxed, focusing on the feel of her paw on his flank, taking comfort from her presence, as much as from Thomas' hands holding his own. The goddess was with him, she would watch and protect. It gave him what he needed, and the worst of his fears ebbed. Alex could do this, he would do it, for himself as well as the men he wanted to be with. That thought gave him some succor, and Fitz felt the lean form lose the horrible tension, and simply go passive.

He would lie still, too, for the duration, Fitz knew this, and with a mental yank, brought himself back to the task at hand. Fitz worked swiftly, but was careful to make no sudden moves. Alex did everything Fitz asked, breathing in, bearing down, breathing out. He made no sound as he was very gently breached, only swallowed hard, keeping his breathing perfectly normal, as Fitz talked him through it.

It was a bit uncomfortable, that much was true, but it was nothing to Alex. This was the easiest, most painless intrusion he'd ever known. It had been true, what Fitz had said about the ointment, and about how care could alleviate most of the discomfort. As embarrassed as he was that Fitz was exploring his inner passage, he was also relieved, knowing that yet more of his fears were being crushed under the weight of a new truth.

With a prayer of thanks, Fitz felt that there was no sign of damage internally, nor of disease either. Withdrawing slowly enough not to startle or irritate, Fitz allowed his fingers to slip from Alex's body. He used a warm, wet cloth to lightly wipe the excess ointment, but decided that it would be better to leave him slightly messy than to continue touching him in that area.

"There is no sign of anything wrong within, Jade. I will check your penis and we shall be finished. Are you still well? Do you wish me to wait?"

"I am fine. Finish, please." It sounded slightly strained, but not as bad as Fitz had feared. Quickly he removed the glove, throwing it into the refuse pile, before washing his hands and pulling on another membrane glove.

"Roll onto your back, please, Jade." He did so, and Thomas shifted, so that his back was more fully to Alex's middle. Alex knew Thomas would be unable to see his organ this way, and his relief at the results and the ease of the examination thus far made Alex bold to tease.

"You aren't even going to pretend to be curious? See if I ever kiss you again." It was an old line between them, and after Thomas' initial startle, the boy laughed.

"Jade, I promise, do you offer me a look anywhere or time but here and now, I shall be only too happy to show you how my curiosity can become aroused."

Alex chuckled, as did Fitz, pleased that he was not adding trauma to Alex's only just healed soul. But he also took the opportunity afforded by the line.

"Jade, sometimes being touched, however innocently, can result in an erection. It is a natural reaction, and if you should show signs of arousal, it is nothing to be ashamed or concerned about."

"And if I show none?" It was another brave tease, and Fitz tapped Alex's nose with the hand not wearing the glove.

"Then see if I ever sleep with you again."

It brought a smile, and Fitz put a hand on the edge of the sheet, his eyes meeting Alex's, asking permission. It was given with a nod, and the hands on Thomas' tightened slightly as Fitz bared Alex's penis. He examined the flesh, the resilience, the color, finding them all normal. The sack was examined, and the testicles, even the span of skin between Alex's front and back. Then Fitz was taking a small, very slender reed, and using the ointment on it. Holding Alex's penis carefully, he slid the reed down into the small opening, feeding it in with care. He saw the slight wince, and froze.

"Discomfort or hurt?"

"Discomfort. As though I need to piss, but cannot." Alex colored again, but Fitz only nodded.

"That is normal, Jade. It will pass as soon as I am done, which will be in another moment only." So saying, Fitz slowly withdrew the reed, and checked the tip. It was covered in a tiny bit of clear fluid, and as he moved to dispose of it, Fitz quickly sniffed, checking for strong or unusual odor. There was none, and Fitz came back with a small glass chamber pot. "If you can, I would like you to fill this, as much as you are able. Then you may dress."

Alex sat up, with Thomas' help, and both Thomas and Fitz turned their back, each man finding something to clean or straighten, the small noises making it possible for Alex to relax and release his urine.

Danally, sitting on the foot of the table now, came over, checked the contents of the glass while Alex dressed. She sniffed, looked thoughtful, then dismissed it completely, rubbing her side along Alex's stomach as she stepped across his thighs, and jumped down, leaving.

Taking that as a good sign, Alex quickly finished dressing, and called to Fitz. The healer looked at the contents, took them over to a shelf and added a few drops from a tiny bottle to it. The color remained unchanged, and there was no clouding. Setting it down and washing his hands again, Fitz came back over.

"Congratulations, Jade. You have no diseases, and everything appears normal, inside and out."

Sighing his relief, Alex couldn't resist. He reached out, taking Fitz into a tight hug of friendship and thanks. Fitz returned it eagerly, patting the young slave on the back.

"Thank you, Fitz. Thank you so much, for everything."

"You're welcome, little one. Now, you've been through a great deal this evening. I want you to eat and to rest. You need not do this alone, but Jade, your body will need a bit of time to recover from my exam. I would ask that you do not engage in anything more than kissing and holding this even. Tomorrow, you may do as you will."

"Yes, Fitz. I will explain to Alonzo, he will understand."

"Would you like me to tell the kitchens you'll be down soon?" Thomas offered this with a tone that showed he was back at work, mentally at least.

"Yes, please. And if you would, tell Alonzo I'll join him in the salon in a few minutes. Then let the master know all is well, please."

Alex was taken off guard when Thomas dutifully repeated his instructions, then caught the hint of a rueful smile. Thomas was trying to make up for earlier.

"And would you tell Thomas that his friend Jade is most grateful and would be happy to repay his kindness anytime, he has but to ask. Jade owes him much."

Alex then reached out, and hugged the slender form, kissing Thomas on both cheeks.

"I thought you weren't going to kiss me again." It was full Thomas tease, and Alex threw back his head, laughing, even as he teased back as boldly as he'd ever dared. Alex was feeling such a profound relief and gratitude that he allowed himself to take a risk.

Reaching out with both hands, he took a hold of Thomas' face, and kissed his friend firmly on the mouth, if platonically. The shocked look was also delighted, and Alex further turned Thomas by the shoulders and lightly swatted his rear, the way Sable and the master often teased. It was his first time to ever do such, and he hoped it wouldn't offend Thomas.

On the contrary, the boy looked thrilled, and actually batted his lashes, before dissolving into laughter, and heading off to deliver his messages. Turning to the healer, where Fitz stood, also laughing, Alex was compelled to share his thoughts, yet again.

"Fitz?"

"Yes, Jade?"

"It is not only to Thomas that I owe a debt of gratitude. I owe you one, as well. That should have been terrifying, but it wasn't. I expected it to hurt so badly, and I barely felt it. There should have been humiliation, but there was no shame. You have given me every reassurance you could, have done all that you may to see to it that I go to Alonzo with confidence and knowledge and joy, though your church does not approve."

Alex paused, green eyes full of a peace that had been missing earlier. More demons gone, more fear eased, more hope and belief in its place.

"You told me once that when I saw a man of god, not to forget which came first in that viewing. But with you, Fitz, I tell you, I see your god first, then you, and I mean that in the best sense of the words. If ever Danally should release me, I will seek your will and counsel, as I do hers now. That may be wrong, but it is the truth, and I mean only to show you my heart, and my conviction that you are, indeed, a holy man. From what you've told me of him, I know your father would be most proud."

Fitz, first shocked by the suddenly serious words and tone, was then moved by the words themselves, and he could not help a tear as it fell from his face. Alex reached up, pressed a brief kiss to the trailing drop, and then left.

xx

Alex went to his room, gathering his soap and some clean clothing. He was still covered with ash and traces of sheep and kennel scent from his work earlier, and while Fitz had been generous with the ointment for good reason, it was now making his clothes stick in awkward places. He needed a bath, however quick. Alex used the washroom, knowing it would be empty at this time, and soon was clean and changed, his hair gathered loosely in a tie, and already drying as he made his way down the stairs. He paused by the door of the salon, knocking softly.

"Enter." Alonzo's deep voice was a pleasure, and with only a bit of hesitancy, Alex opened the door.

The seneschal was reclining on the floor, making use of some of the many cushions, propped on one elbow, reading. He'd obviously bathed and changed as well, for now his hair was hanging loosely around his face, and his work clothes had been replaced with another dinner outfit. Tonight the pants and shirt were a deep brilliant blue with black embroidery around the collar and cuffs, and down the sides of the legs and sleeves. It suited him, and Alex thought again that the man wore the bold colors well.

"Ah, Jade. Please, come in." Alonzo waited until Alex was seated on the floor near him, and then sat up, looking carefully into the slave's face. "Jade, I must ask. Are you well? In mind and spirit, as well as in body?" The dark eyes allowed a hint of twinkle, but Alex knew the man was serious. Alonzo was concerned for him, and that was easy enough to see.

"Yes, Alonzo. I am well. But Fitz says that tonight I must eat and rest. I may kiss and hold, but nothing more until the morrow. He, um, he had to examine me, and he says my body needs time to recover."

"Were you suddenly taken ill, Jade? You seemed fine when I left you. More than fine." This was said with a gentle stroke of Alonzo's thumb across Alex's bottom lip. Alex, fears still flown in the aftermath of his experience upstairs, captured the hand in both of his own and pressed a kiss to the pad of the thumb, and then to the palm, before placing it against his cheek.

Alonzo's eyes darkened, but remained worried.

"Well, you seem more than fine again. But you have not answered my question, Jade. You need not, if you prefer."

"I do not mind, Alonzo, though you may not care for my answer."

"That is a risk I take willingly when I ask. But our meal should be here soon. Let us have our moment of silence, and then we shall be ready when the food is."

Alonzo used his watch, and they'd scarcely finished the minute, when there was a discreet tap at the side door. It was a half door, with only the top opening, and a wide shelf on the bottom door. It led to a passway in the holding area, and allowed the salon meals to be taken straight in by the occupants, with no need for interruption or for the rest of the keep to know what they were eating.

Alex started to rise and bring it, but Alonzo put a light hand on his shoulder, very mildly restraining him.

"No, little one. Fitz is to be obeyed. He said rest, and rest you shall. You will recline gracefully in the manner of a wealthy princeling, and I shall attend you."

Alex started to protest, then realized something important. Alonzo wanted to do this for him. There was a faint plea in the near black eyes, a vulnerability that implied need, and so Alex lay back, sprawling on the many cushions that littered the floor. There were mats under the cushions, and even woolen throws scattered about, and the rug was thick. It was luxurious, and Alex sank back, realizing that he was tired.

"As you wish, Alonzo. I will obey gladly." Alex smiled to take any sting from his words, and Alonzo pursed his lips in amusement, before going to the door and opening the top, revealing a large tray covered with items. The curtains at the end of the short alcove were closed, ensuring their privacy, but a bell was on the shelf as well, and so they would not go unattended.

Smiling at the thoughtfulness, Alonzo carried the tray over to Alex, setting it on one of the many low tables scattered about. It smelled delicious, and Alex realized just how long it had been since he'd eaten.

"Hungry?"

"Very."

"As am I. Let us see what magic Leona has provided."

Taking the lids off, Alonzo revealed a meal that looked simple on the surface, but both men knew that was deceptive. The fowl turned out to be a roasted duck, the rich color speaking of the care with which it had been cooked. There was a large dish filled with rice and pieces of still crisp vegetables and nuts, like small jewels amongst the gleaming white. There was a platter of the yams that Alex was so fond of, and a small dish of roasted mushrooms. Hot bread, a small loaf for each man, rounded it out, and there were fresh cherries soaking in brandy. Dessert was a large triangle of the honey sheets, and Alonzo smiled in fond remembrance as he saw it.

"This was the first dessert I ever had. Ever. I will never forget the taste of it, that first time, a burst of warm butter and honey, the flake of the pastry, the crunch of the nuts, the tang of the spices, all of it filling my mouth. Never had I tasted anything like it, never known such sweetness. Leona must have wondered why this little boy was suddenly standing in her kitchen, crying as though whipped, when all she had done was give him a treat. But she only pressed a glass of milk on me as well, and wiped my face when I was done."

"How old were you?" Alex asked it softly, but Alonzo had already begun serving the plates, the memory a good one, and thus easily gone to and from.

"Oh, I think I was three when the old master, Lord William, bought me. I had been a slave before then, of course. I was born a slave, my mother and father were slaves, bred specifically to have more slaves. If they knew each other's name before they were first mated, I would be surprised. I never really knew either of them, I was raised with the other slave children, we were kept in a separate pen, closer to the house."

Alex took his now filled plate from Alonzo, trying hard to imagine this man as the child he was describing. Alonzo must have caught the look, because he gave a small sound of amusement.

"Which gives you the most pause, the thought of me as a slave or as a child?"

Alex chuckled, but then honestly thought about it. "I suppose thinking of you as a slave. I look at you, and I see a free man, strong and commanding, despite his gentle nature. There is steel in you, Alonzo, master steel. I cannot picture you submitting."

"It was not something I ever did well." There was a pain there, and Alex caught his bottom lip between his teeth, feeling he'd said something wrong. A moment later, Alonzo grinned again. "Well, until Leona had charge of me. I seldom caused her trouble. And then, of course, Lord Fox owned me. He was my friend, I would have done his bidding whether he owned me or not, had the scars to prove it. I obeyed him easily enough, for the most part. He seldom had to punish me, and only a few of those times did I earn a spanking, so he has no cause for complaint."

Alonzo grinned, taking a bite of his duck. Alex, too, turned his attention to his food, despite his curiosity. When he'd eaten a fair amount, Alonzo asked softly, "Can you tell me now, why you sought the healer?"

"I didn't. I sought my friend, Fitz, and then the priest, and last, the healer."

"Dear Fitz, the Master will never find another like him. So, did I upset you, somehow? Did my kiss frighten you, make you think of something unpleasant?"

"No, not like that. To be honest, I wasn't thinking anything while you were kissing me, except that I wanted you to keep kissing me." Alex blushed faintly, but Alonzo's look of relieved pleasure was worth it. "No, Alonzo, it was just that when you stopped kissing me, I suddenly began to think, and to worry. I was afraid that by wanting you, letting you touch me, being with you that way, I might be betraying the master and Sable."

"Ah. I see. That is an understandable fear. And naturally, you would seek a friend to talk about it. But why the priest?"

"Because I had to make a confession. I have told them very little of my past, very, very little, Alonzo. It is fear that holds my tongue, but I know that one day, I shall have to tell them the truth. That is, if I remain here."

"Which is a topic for later, though I begin to see I might have your worries somewhat in reverse. Tell me, what did you need to confess?"

"My fears. My doubts and worries. My ignorance. It was discussing that, which led to my needing the healer. I wanted, no, I needed to be sure that I was healthy, that I bore no taint of disease. I know you will use the lambskins, but I would take no chances."

"I see Fitz has given his blessing then. Or, at least, his best wishes for us."

"Yes. He approves of you, for me. And he has told me that what I feel for you, is not only natural, but a good thing, that in no way harms the master or Sable."

They had finished eating the meal now, and Alonzo cleared their plates back onto the tray, before asking with only the faintest tinge of uncertainty, "And what do you feel for me, Jade?"

"There is a part of me, Alonzo, that is in love with you. I do not love you as I do Sable or the master, but I do love you, in a way."

"That is good to know, Jade. For I find that I am entranced by you, little one. It is not real love, I know, only fascination and desire, joined with a great deal of like." Alonzo winked, and Alex ducked his head a bit, his pleasure obvious behind the shy gesture. "But as you say, I do love you, in a way. It is temporary, but no less real for its transience. And Fitz says this is acceptable for you?"

"He says it is good that I feel for you. Especially since I plan on giving myself to you."

Alex watched in horrified fascination as Alonzo's wine made a broad stain as it exited his nose, and the seneschal began coughing. He quickly passed over the cloths from the tray, and moved to the door, ringing the bell. One of the older kitchen girls was there immediately, and Alex requested pans of water and towels, along with a small amount of the dish soap.

She moved at once, but Alex didn't miss the look in her eyes that clearly said she thought they were crazy for using the time to wash dishes. She had the things to him in a heartbeat, and he took them, closing the door behind him with a word of thanks.

Alex handed a cloth to Alonzo, and began work on the rug stain, rubbing and blotting the way he'd been taught by Marita. He didn't stop working, but spared a glance for Alonzo.

"I am so sorry, Alonzo, I did not mean to say something wrong."

"Nonsense. You said nothing wrong, little Jade, merely caught me unawares with the image of having you, and I choked." Alex, grateful for the forgiveness, couldn't help but point with a nod of his head.

"Your shirt is ruined, though. The wine will not come out of that fabric, not without ruining it."

"It is only a shirt, however expensive."

Alex held out his hand, having finished the rug. The stain was gone, and now he reached to Alonzo's chest, beginning to dab. "Maybe if you took it off..." Alonzo's mouth quirked, and he reached for the laces and buttons at his cuffs.

"I will obey gladly." He took off his shirt, but made no move to hand it to Alex. Alex stared at the man's chest, seeing the lean, but well shaped chest, the hair, coarse and springy that provided suitable coverage, without being excessive or too sparse. The arms were lean, but tautly muscled, and the skin gleamed the same dusky shade all over.

Alex said nothing, but his hands moved to his own laces, all thoughts of wine and stain fled. He began taking off his shirt, then paused. "I am heavily scarred, Alonzo. I may not please you."

"Little one, you can do nothing else." It was said with great gentleness, and Alex found the courage to finish removing his clothing, eyes on Alonzo's as the scarring was revealed.

Alonzo looked, made no pretense of not looking, and then he smiled, carefully reaching out to place his hand in the center of Alex's chest.

"You are scarred, Jade. But you are still most pleasing to the eye. Besides, I can hardly speak of scarring." Having said that, Alonzo turned around, showing his back to Alex. It was nearly as heavily scarred as his own, and Alex did not doubt that they went all the way down. "Do they disturb you?"

"No, Alonzo."

"And do you find me pleasing, despite them?"

"Yes, Alonzo." Alex was smiling, the point of the questions easily seen. "And I have learned the lesson, master. Could you hold me now?"

"I would be delighted." So saying, Alonzo made a place on the pillows and gathered a throw. He lay back, and Alex moved into his arms.

xx

It was a shock, the warmth and sensation of skin against skin, and the hair on Alonzo's chest threatened to tickle, until he was settled. But then he was lying in Alonzo's arms, and it was simply good. Alonzo seemed to think so as well, for he gave a contented sound, as he cuddled Alex closer, one hand idly trailing up and down the lean back.

They lay quietly for some time, before Alonzo asked, "Jade, you have been through much today, especially this even. But if you feel well enough, if you are not too tired, I would talk with you."

"You wish to have the talk you promised me earlier, do you not?"

"I do, little one. It should not be put off over long. Still, it will wait for the daylight."

"No, Alonzo, I would have us past it, though I wish it were not necessary."

"It will not be so bad, Jade. We will hold each other as we speak, and should you become frightened, you may steal a kiss for courage."

Alex smiled into the warm skin of Alonzo's shoulder. "Maybe I am in need of courage to begin." So saying, Alex leaned up, his mouth finding Alonzo's in a light, hungry kiss. "Mmmm. I like your kisses, Alonzo."

"And I like kissing you, Jade. But you have your courage. Speak, little one." Alonzo's voice was firm, and Alex sank back into the embrace, clearing his throat, and beginning.

He told Alonzo of his sudden realization that he could be bought, and taken away, leaving the master and Sable to each other, and their love. And that he need never risk hurting or disappointing the master with his past, because he need never tell it. That he wondered if it would not be best for all of them, did he leave, and earn his freedom price at Bluewoods Keep.

"You are like the master, I feel sure your keep would be like Samstar Fields. The rules are the same, are they not? There would be no beatings, no rapes. Everyone works toward a skill, there would be food and shelter given, I should be safe, even should I share a room."

"You would not share a room, you would have your own. But yes, the rules are the same, Jade. All of the rules."

Saying this, Alonzo shifted them so that they were lying face to face, his arm still under Alex's neck, but with a bit more space between them. Alex bit at his lip, knowing something was about to be said that he would find unpleasant.

"Just as there are no lies here, there are none there. And do I buy a slave, then eventually, in the slave's own time, I expect to know that slave's history. Did I buy you, Jade, and take you to my keep, then there would come a day when you would be expected to tell me your past, all of it, however painful."

Alex lowered his lashes. He hadn't thought of that. He would still have to reveal the truth. And while he knew for sure that the master wouldn't send him back, love and trust in Alonzo notwithstanding, Alex did not have that same guarantee elsewhere. The thought of going back to his old master was unthinkable. It simply could not happen. Alex would die before he'd go back to that life, did they not kill him outright as an escaped slave. No, best he remain here, with the master and Sable, and risk everything.

"As for leaving the master and Sable for their own good, that is well intentioned, but a bad mistake. Leaving them would cause them pain, Jade, not spare them. They love you, you love them, and the three of you are meant to be together, for whatever purpose whatever gods have in mind. But do not doubt that you belong with them. Your place is here, with them."

Alonzo paused, and stroked a hand over Jade's shoulder and arm.

"Do you still wish me to buy you, Jade?"

"No, Alonzo." It was a husky whisper, and Alonzo could sense tears not far away. He did not blame Jade for them, it was a hard thing to reconcile, and came after a difficult day. Reaching out, he drew the slender form to him, embracing fully.

Alex let himself be comforted, let his tears fall onto the pale brown skin, let himself cling to the solid reality of Alonzo's body, let it fight the phantoms of the past.

When he'd calmed, Alonzo reached out, finding a dry cloth from earlier and using it to wipe Alex's face, pressing kisses to the forehead, the eyelids, the cheeks, and even the tip of the nose.

Alex frowned slightly at that, and Alonzo tapped the snub protrusion. "My apologies. As one whose own nose has suffered a similar indignity, I should know better. But, are you recovered? Can you listen now?"

"Yes, Alonzo."

"Then sit up, for there is something I wish to discuss with you."

Alex obeyed, not sure he could handle another lessoning just yet.

"Relax, Jade, I do not scold. I am going to need some supplies, things that are not available here. I had thought to go to the village, but if they do not have them either, it will be a wasted trip, so I will be going to the nearest town of size, Crystal Springs. It will be an overnight trip, and I would like company for both the journey and the stay. I had thought, if you liked the idea, that I might ask the master for consent to take you with me. You would be collared, his initials over mine, so that should something happen, they would seek me first, then the master. We would sleep at the inn there, and you would share my bed. We need only sleep, but I should like the chance to hold you through the night. And the chance to spoil you in town, as well. What say you, Jade? It will be a trip for business, but there is pleasure to be had, as well."

"I would like that, Alonzo. But you should know, I sometimes become frightened by so many people."

"As do I. I think it's the same for any who has been a slave. It just doesn't feel safe. But I have learned how to handle that, Jade, and I will share my secrets. So, should I ask the master to take you with me?"

"Yes, please."

"Excellent. We shall leave the day after tomorrow. Your gifts will prove most useful, little one. But tell me, Jade, do you think you will be able to sleep beside me the night through? Will you become frightened?"

"Not frightened. I told Fitz earlier that I could sleep beside you naked and bound, and not be afraid you would force me."

Alonzo closed his eyes, groaning slightly at the image. "Jade, little one, you are going to kill me with such pronouncements. Still, I am glad you feel so. Rest assured, you will not be bound."

"What of naked?" Alex asked it without meaning to, the words simply leaving his mouth. He blushed, but Alonzo only knelt up, and drew Alex up as well, and then they were kissing again. It was as before, Alex lost himself in the kissing, the dreamy, lovely feel of Alonzo's mouth covering his own. But Alex was not so afraid now, and lightly drew on Alonzo's bottom lip, before letting his tongue dare to venture within the sternly formed mouth.

Alex felt Alonzo's hands drifting lightly over his body, down his back, around his flanks, and then up, to cup his backside. Alonzo left Alex's mouth, seeking out the young slave's neck and throat, before dipping his head and kissing one of Alex's nipples. The body in his arms gave a tiny jerk of reaction, and the hands at Alonzo's shoulders clenched slightly.

It was a good sign, Alonzo knew it had been pleasure not fear, and so he let his lips and tongue drift to its twin, only this time he laved the little nub. The movement this provoked was a thrust, instinctual, and Alonzo whispered for Alex to lie down.

"Fitz said kiss and hold, did he not?"

"Yes, Alonzo." Alex panted it out, his body aware that it wanted more of Alonzo's touch.

"I am going to take a liberty with that instruction, Jade, with your consent. I feel he was cautioning us against the full act. I do not think he would object, were I to show you a gentle pleasure. But you must give me consent, for I would not make you disobey."

"I trust your judgement, Alonzo. And I would have your touch." It was honest, and the hunger was easy to hear. Alonzo took a calming breath, and then reached for the fasten of Alex's pants.

"Jade, I would like to see you and touch you. You must tell me should you feel frightened, or if there is pain or discomfort. I command that, Jade."

"Yes, Alonzo. I understand. Now, please, will you touch me?"

"Little one, how could I refuse?" Alonzo leaned across, kissing Alex to calm and reassure him, even as those sure fingers quickly unfastened the lacings and began to slide the pants down.

Alex felt his heart pounding, but the look in Alonzo's eyes was one of admiration, of care and appreciation as for a gift. There was passion in the heated dark gaze, to be sure, but it was lying beneath the gentle regard, and Alex knew that there would be no hurt from this baring of his flesh.

Alonzo eased the clothing off, keeping his own pants on. When Alex lay before him naked, the older man simply spent a good few moments just looking. "You are well-made, little one. Lovely, simply lovely. Your clothes hide much." Alonzo kissed Alex again, stilling his word of thanks, and lay himself against the smaller man.

Alonzo was careful to keep his weight off of Alex, not wanting him to feel pinned or restrained. He lifted one hand, making sure Alex saw it, and then settled it at Alex's shoulder, before beginning a long stroke down to mid-thigh, and then back up again on the other side. His lips and tongue weren't idle, trailing slowly down Alex's neck, and then beginning to explore the nearly hairless chest. The nipples seemed especially sensitive, and Alonzo kept the touch light, the gentlest of suckles on the hardened flesh, drawing gasps and quiet moans from his quivering partner.

"Alonzo!" The name carried a sense of urgency, and Alonzo was glad to know that all of the slave's responses hadn't been eliminated. Indeed, a quick check showed an erection that was standing on its own. Pleased, Alonzo let his hand drift slowly, a clear statement of intent, but he paused to look in Alex's eyes as well.

"Jade, may I touch you?"

"Yes!" It was nearly annoyed in tone, and Alonzo's mouth quirked as he held back a grin. Kissing Alex deeply, he moved his hand down, just sliding the palm across the rigid length. Alex bucked into the touch, and immediately bucked again. With a soft cry, Alex spilled into the loose grip, shaking violently as the pleasure rocked him with near violence.

Alonzo, delighted by the responsiveness, held Alex tenderly as the trembling eased, hearing the breathing return to near normal. He used one of the dry cloths to carefully clean the still quivering stomach and his own hand, then simply held Alex close. Alex cuddled closely to him, awed by the way the seneschal had wrung the pleasure from his body. It was better by far than even the one time in his room, and that had been the most intense positive sensation of Alex's life. This had been beyond any reckoning, and Alex was a long time returning to himself.

When he did, he realized two things. One, they had not used a lambskin, and two, Alonzo was still half-dressed, and had not released yet.

"Alonzo, I have no words for what you have given me. But I must ask, is it safe, that I spilled on you?"

It took a moment for Alonzo to realize what was being asked, but then he hastened to reassure the young man that it was. The look of relief was easy to see, but then the brows drew together again, and the green eyes seemed sad.

"What troubles you now, little one?"

"You did not seek your release."

"No. I did not, and you are not to feel guilty about that, Jade. It was my choice, made long before I touched you. I assure you, later tonight, alone in my room, I shall indeed find a measure of satisfaction." Alonzo looked a bit embarrassed, just a touch, but his smile was purely tender, and he brushed a lock of hair back from Alex's forehead. "But I mean to take this slowly, Jade. Very slowly. I would have you know pleasure, before asking you to share it directly. I know what may be achieved with two men and an open mind, you are only just learning. In fact, I would wager you a month's pay that this was the first time you have been touched so by another, for your own gain."

"You would win." Alex admitted it somewhat shyly, and Alonzo kissed him for the honesty.

"Exactly. So, you will learn to take some pleasure, little Jade, before you are allowed to give it. Though that is not quite true. I had a great deal of pleasure from you already. Touching you, hearing and seeing you react to that touch, to me, it was most satisfying, Jade. I am not slighted in the least. Now, you will lose that worried look, that I took such pains to erase," here Alonzo began to tease, tickling slightly, "and you will savor what has happened, or else."

"Or else what?" Alex, his worries gone, offered it back as a tease, grinning up at this man that was being so very good to him, looping his arms around Alonzo's neck.

"Or I shall forget my place and beat you soundly." The words were said with great soberness, but the mouth was quirking and the dark eyes sparkled. Alex didn't even have to think, he knew it was an idle threat only, and he made a small sound of amusement, lifting his mouth enough to find Alonzo's.

"Yes, my lord. As you say, my lord. I will obey, gladly, my lord."

"Brat." Alonzo whispered it against the slightly salty skin of Alex's collarbone, reaching down to playfully tap a hind muscle. But Alex noticed that the eyes judged his reaction carefully to the touch, and knew Alonzo was making sure Alex wasn't frightened by it.

It was typical, and Alex boldly pushed on Alonzo's shoulders, urging him to lie back now.

"Jade..." Alonzo started to caution him, but Alex dared to interrupt, following his heart, as Fitz had directed.

"Please, I only want to look at you, to touch you where you have already given leave. I will try nothing else, I promise, Alonzo. But I would see you, tonight, please?"

"It is well that you are good natured, Jade, else with those green eyes you would be horribly indulged. Alright, little one, but then you will rest, is that clear?" Alonzo was serious now, and Alex bowed his head slightly, showing his submission.

"Yes, Alonzo. I'll be good." The seneschal made a chuff of amusement, and cupped Alex's face in his hand.

"You are always good, little one. It is, I think, that you sometimes fail to behave." Alex, feeling the need to be completely himself so soon after their intimacy, risked impudence. He rolled his eyes, sighing as though put upon.

"Yes, my lord. Now, will you lie back and let me look?" Alonzo's laugh thrilled him, even as the seneschal gave in, lying back with his arms spread.

"Look your fill, Jade, and do so with my promise of quiet for your exploration."

"Thank you."

Alonzo inclined his head, and Alex let his eyes wander over the sprawling form. The man was lean, despite the width of his chest and shoulders, a handsome image. Alex let his hand stroke lightly across a collarbone, then trailed his fingertips across Alonzo's chest, feeling the soft curls of the hair there, finding the hidden nubs, and palming them lightly. The seneschal's body remained slack, but the eyes, already hooded with sensual abandonment, closed more fully, until only a slit remained. A rich rumbling sound of appreciation gave Alex even more encouragement, and so he explored the stomach, feeling the muscles tighten under his faint caress.

A ghosting over the ribs, and Alonzo chuckled, drawing away.

"Damn. I usually like to have made love at least once before my partner finds that spot."

"You are ticklish?"

"Extremely. And you will not take advantage of that, Jade, or I shall tickle back without mercy."

A kiss, to seal the pact, and Alex settled back into Alonzo's embrace, not daring to do more tonight. Besides, the events of the day and the physical release were catching up with him. He yawned widely, apologizing immediately.

"No, little one, no need to apologize. I knew you would be tired. I should have sent you to bed long ago, but I fell victim to your charms. Still, it is high time you were in bed, sweet. Come." Alonzo stood, and held out his hand to Alex, helping him up.

Alex obediently put on his shirt, but then said softly, "I want to thank you, Alonzo, for tonight. For everything really. It was one of the best nights of my life, and that is no exaggeration. Thank you." Alonzo, pausing in the process of putting his own shirt back on, having had to search for it a bit under the towels, accepted another hug.

"You are most welcome, Jade. I, too, found it a very special evening." A kiss, and Alonzo stepped back.

"Alonzo? May I ask something?" Alex sounded hesitant, and suddenly shy.

"Always, Jade. What would you know?"

"You will tell me, do I overstep myself?"

Pulling his shirt over his head, Alonzo sought Alex's face, looking into green eyes that were again troubled. "Of course."

"Then I will ask, and risk your wrath. Alonzo, may I sleep with you tonight?"

The seneschal waited until he had Alex wrapped up in his arms to answer. "No, little one. Not tonight. I would love your company, you would be most welcome. It is no lack of wanting you there that makes me deny you. It is care for you that bids me say no. I told you, Jade, we will take this slowly. You need time between such moments as we've shared, time to think, to determine how you feel, to discover if there are after effects or not. Sometimes, a thing may seem pleasant, only to make you uncomfortable with the light of morn. I would spare you that, Jade. No, sweet. Tonight we shall go to our own beds, and have our own sleep, our own dreams, and time to think without fear of the dawn. And you should think, Jade. I would have you know if tonight was too much, or too soon, have you determine it without the heat of passion to sway your thoughts. I'm sorry, Jade, but the responsibility is mine, and I take it and you very seriously."

Alex looked up at the seneschal through thick lashes, grateful for the man's care, despite his disappointment. He reached up, boldly pulling Alonzo's head down, and kissing him.

"I take it I am forgiven?" Alonzo's hands were at Alex's waist, and he chuckled as Alex again reached to tickle him. He clasped Alex's hands gently, but firmly, speaking with a mock scold. "Oh no, you don't! If you tickle me, I shall tickle back, and then we shall kiss and then I shall be sorely tempted to drag you back down onto the floor again."

Alex chuckled, knowing Alonzo was right, but not yet willing to stop teasing. "I do not see your problem, my lord." Alex grinned and reached half-heartedly again.

Alonzo growled, turned Alex and marched him toward the door. Keeping one hand on Alex's shoulder, Alonzo opened it and then stepped very closely behind Alex, who was nearly giggling, knowing what was about to happen. A quick glance assured him there was no one in the main hall to see, and so Alonzo leaned forward, placing his lips just along the outside of Alex's ear.

"My problem is that I'm in love with a brat that is becoming hopelessly addicted to teasing his lover. You will march yourself straight to bed, little one, and let me do the same. Now, say goodnight."

"Yes, my lord. Goodnight, Alonzo."

"Goodnight, Jade. I will see you in the morning." A kiss to the side of Alex's neck, and a mild swat to his rear, and then Alonzo had stepped away and shut the door between them.

Alex was still smiling about it when he got to his room. In fact, he fell asleep with that same, soft smile firmly in place.

xx

The next morning, Alex came down to breakfast eagerly. He found Alonzo waiting for him near the foot of the stairs, and the smile his presence prompted was as bright as the dawn. Fitz, watching from across the hallway, gave a small prayer of thanks, and then sought the main table. Sable and the master, too, had seen the look that passed between Alex and Alonzo, and Fitz was relieved to see that both men seemed happy for Alex.

"Good morning, Alonzo."

"Good morning, Jade. I had thought, with your permission, that I could share your bench at breakfast. I grow tired of the company spot beside Lord Fox."

"I would like that." Alex shyly held out his hand, and Alonzo took it without hesitation, allowing himself to be led to the bench were Drell was already sitting. Alonzo made his greetings to those there, and Alex made the introductions to the few people that had yet to meet the seneschal.

It was nice, sitting with Alonzo there in the main hall, holding the man's hand under the table. It was nicer still seeing and hearing Alonzo interact with his friends. Alex felt an odd pride, a strange sense of himself and of Alonzo. It puzzled him, until Alex figured it out. He was part of a couple now. He was seeing himself with another, not just by himself. He was sharing his identity, for the first time. Alonzo's lover, that was how some of the people in the hall were now thinking of him, and this new facet to his personality gave him a faint thrill.

The moment of silence followed on the heels of this self- revelation, and Alex sent a quick prayer of thanks to Danally, in addition to asking her for guidance in this new role. When the moment was over, Alex looked up, finding the master's eyes on him. There was a warmth in the hazel eyes that spoke of acceptance and support, and Alex had further proof that Fitz had been right. Sable, too, gave him a broad wink, and with some relief, Alex returned it.

"Here, now. You may flirt with them when I am gone." Alonzo was but kidding, yet Alex felt the warm blush as it moved over his face.

"I was not flirting. I was saying thank you."

"Ah. I see. My apologies, sweet. When a handsome young thing such as yourself winks at me in the future, I shall wonder what I am being thanked for."

Alex chuckled, even as he swiped at Alonzo's shoulder with a mock blow. It was only after he did it, and heard Alonzo's laugh, that Alex realized he'd just raised his hand to a master. Awed by how very much his life had changed, and how quickly, Alex felt himself humbled by the love that had been granted him.

"What is it, Jade?" There was concern in the discreet whisper, and Alex turned to Alonzo, looking up into the worried brown eyes, seeing part of his salvation.

"I was just thinking that if the years of my slavery were the price I had to pay, to be allowed to come here and live as I do now, then it was well worth the cost."

Alonzo, knowing what Alex meant, having lived it, too, said nothing in reply, but pressed his lips to Alex's temple, squeezing the young man's hand under the table top, before turning back to his breakfast.

Alex, too, applied himself to his food, and soon they were finished, and walking toward the workshed. Alex wasn't surprised that once they left the main hall, Alonzo turned purely professional, the slight emotional distance necessary. For a bit, he was not the man's lover, merely the man's assistant. A well worked one, at that. Alonzo kept both Alex and Joseph scurrying, with so many trips to the different sheds and work buildings Alex grew dizzy. Still, it was good work, and the progress significant. Alonzo called a break at mid-morn, but they were soon back at it, taking measurements, revising them, and overseeing the building of a small scale model of the proposed changes to the shearing shed, the prototype of the clock facing, the first mold works of the inner parts and the proposed finishes for the wood on the clock. Then there was the materials list for the smith's, the work list for the ground works and carpentry that would be necessary for the ramps and new pens, and the tentative schedule.

By lunch, they had accomplished much, and Alex was left to eat alone, as Alonzo met with Earlic, a working lunch to discuss the projects. Fitz, seeing that Alex was free, called him aside into an empty alcove. Sitting on the bench there, Alex sensed that Fitz was unhappy.

"Yes, Fitz?"

"I have two purposes this morning, Jade. First, I thought to check on you, see if you were well this morning."

"I am fine, thank you. Better for your help yesterday even. It made a great deal of difference, Fitz, in ways I didn't even imagine. I thank you, again."

"I was happy to have helped, Jade. But, I am here secondly, and more importantly because I owe you a scolding, at the very least."

"I will take it. I assume you refer to what we did last night. It is true, Alonzo cheated your instructions somewhat, but he did so with my consent. It was my choice, Fitz, if you are angry, it should be with me."

Fitz shook his head. "I am not angry, Jade. It is true that I meant for you to do nothing else, save kissing, not just forbid the act, but from what Alonzo tells me, it was scarcely more than that, and you were more than ready for such. Indeed, that is not why I am upset with you."

"Then I am at a loss, Fitz, for I know of nothing else I have done wrong."

"Were you not supposed to tell me that the Captain suggested you be tested for healing skills? Did she not mention it days ago?"

Alex bit at his lip, remembering that she had, in fact, said that very thing. "She did. I am sorry, Fitz. That was the night...well, so much happened that night, and then there was Alonzo, and I simply forgot her words."

Alex paused, and Fitz looked carefully into the green eyes, a look reserved for those he loved most dearly. It was a look of gentle accusation, a silent urging for the person to think again, and be sure this was the real truth.

Alex flushed, and spoke again. "And, if I am being honest, I made no effort to remember them. I-I was frightened that if I told you, I might have to study with the sisters, since it was crystals she felt I had some talent for. I remember anything I hear, you know this. She pointed to the stones as she said it, I did not forget, Fitz. I allowed myself to put it out of my mind."

"Yes." It was a quiet word, spoken softly, but it caused Alex to duck his head.

"You feel I lied to you."

"Yes." The same quiet word, only this time it sent a stab of guilt and remorse through Alex. "Do you feel you lied?"

"It was a lie of omission." Alex whispered it, and Fitz saw the young man's distress. He put a hand on Alex's neck, squeezing lightly, but nodded, letting Alex think it through. "And it was deliberate, not accidental. I did get very busy and caught up in other things, as I said, but that is no excuse. I thought of it, more than once, and could have brought it up at any of those times. You have my apologies, Fitz. I have earned more than a scolding, I know. I will take any punishment you set me."

Though it seldom was an issue, it was true that Fitz had some authority to punish, just as Sable did, without needing to check with the master first.

"Jade, I am sorry to make this an issue. But I am concerned, if only because it was a deliberate act of deception on your part. This is very serious, Jade. Too serious for me to handle. I am taking you to the master."

"Yes, sir." Tears welled in the green eyes, and the sight tore at Fitz's heart, yet he remained firm, saying nothing, only standing, holding out his hand for Alex.

Fitz led them upstairs, knowing that the master was keeping to his office for the day, as he usually did mid- week. A knock, and the call to enter, and Alex felt the first tear fall, as he saw the master's smile of greeting turn to a premonitory look of regret.

"Are you alright?"

Alex nodded, sniffling, and then he forced himself to raise his chin, meeting the hazel eyes with remorse, but a lack of fear. "Master, I am here to be punished. I-I lied to Fitz, Master. A deliberate lie of omission. I'm sorry." Alex's voice was rough, and held a distinct quaver, but was clear enough. The master motioned them to chairs, and leaned against his desk, folding his arms across his chest.

"Tell me."

Alex did, explaining what had happened and why. Fitz clarified a few points, and then there was silence, as Fox thought, chewing on his bottom lip. Finally, his face cleared, and he moved to squat down in front of Alex, meeting the slave's eyes with his own, solid gaze.

"Jade, your words and genuine regret tell me that you understand the severity of your actions. And I believe that there were extenuating circumstances. First, your fear of the Captain, and women in general. Second, the fact that you had much to process of a personal nature both before and after her instruction to you. Third, the fact that you are somewhat newly in love. Those reasons would be excuse enough for most people to be granted leniency. However, you are a somewhat different case, because you do not have the luxury of forgetting. Still, you are only human, fairy blood aside, and you have proven yourself honest, in all but your past."

The words made Alex pale, and Fox hastened to reassure him.

"Easy, easy, Jade. Be calm, there is no reason to fear. I allow you those secrets until such time as you are ready to share them. It is different, when one is speaking of a slave's past. I do not doubt that one day you will tell me the truth, and that is good enough. I do not hold that against you. My point was that you do not lie, Jade, have never lied, aside from that allowable exception. Therefore, I am going to be lenient with you, as well. Normally, I would have no choice but to punish you severely. Lying is something I take most seriously. However, this time I will offer you a choice."

He stood, reaching out to his desk and holding up a small diamond of hammered copper.

"This is your tag, for tomorrow, your trip with Alonzo. Had this been a lie under the usual circumstances, I would reclaim it and withdraw my consent, in addition to taking you over my knee. However, it was not, and so I will give you a choice. You may miss your trip with Alonzo, or you may take a spanking, you need not do both. It is not much of a choice, but it is the best offer I can make you, Jade."

Alex nodded, swallowing hard as he thought, weighing the two options. At last, he knew which choice he had to make. "I will take the spanking, Master."

"I somehow thought you might." Fox said it gently, with the barest hint of a smile, and Alex returned it, even as he stood, reaching for the laces of his pants. Fitz stood to leave, but Alex reached out, taking his arm.

"Stay. It may be the master punishing me, but he acts on your behalf. This spanking comes from you, Fitz, it is you I wronged, and I feel that deeply. You should witness."

"Very well." Fitz would rather have stuck his hands into flame, but understood what Alex meant, what the slave was trying to do for him, and respected it. He took his seat again, as Alex lowered his own clothing, taking his place over the master's leg. This would be much more than a couple of slaps, though still not brutal.

"Are you ready, little one?"

"Yes, Master."

A dozen times the master's hand rose and fell, each slap harder than the one before it. The last few had been hard enough to draw notice from Alex; the first time he'd ever really gotten a sense of genuine pain, not simply discomfort from a punishment. His backside was smarting strongly but as always, it was Alex's heart that suffered the most.

Tears were streaming down Alex's face, when Fox stopped. The master drew up Alex's clothing, then raised the trembling slave into a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry, Master." It was a thick whisper, nothing more, but it was enough.

"Shh, I know, Jade. I know. Forgiven, my sweet." The endearment caused Alex to clutch at the master even more tightly, and he felt the arms around him respond in kind. At last, back in control, Alex relaxed his hold, stepping back a bit.

Fox drew a small flannel square from his pocket, and tenderly wiped the tear-streaked face with it. Fitz was there with a glass of water, and Alex drank it dutifully.

"Better?"

"Yes, Master."

"Good. Now, you have missed part of the noon meal, and you need to rest, so I want you to go to your room, Jade, and lie down. Fitz will bring you up a tray, and I will send word to Alonzo explaining that you will be somewhat delayed returning this afternoon. You will eat, you will rest, for at least an hour, after which you are free to return to work."

"I understand, Master."

"Good. Jade, with your consent, I would tell Alonzo that you were punished. I would not tell him why nor how, but he will need to understand that your mood may be somewhat affected this afternoon. Also, I wish him to know it is nothing to do with him, that you are fine, merely chastened. Will you permit that?"

"Please." Alex was relieved. He'd wondered how to explain his tardiness, and the master was right, Alonzo needed to know.

"Very well. Is there anything else?"

"No, Master. Except that with your consent, I will have Fitz test me for healing gifts."

"Given. Now, as it is just us and the door closed, will you let Moss kiss you?" The master's face lost its firmness, and showed the man underneath.

"I would like that, Moss." There was the heaven of those arms around him, the balm of Fox's kiss, however chaste. And it was chaste, Fox had too much respect for Alonzo to make it otherwise.

"I'm sorry, Jade. I know I was harsh." The whisper was grieved, and Alex shook his head, stopping the words with a kiss.

"No, Moss. The master did what was necessary. And it was fair, more than fair. No guilt, please."

Fox nodded, placing a hand on the side of that handsome, so very earnest face. "Very well. And now, Jade, you must rest and eat and I must get back to work. Go in peace, little one."

A final brush of lips across Alex's forehead, and he was dismissed.

xx

Moss, Sable and Jade continued...

raven@aeneas.net

Title: Moss, Sable and Jade – Chapters Eight & Nine
Author: Raven
Email: raven@aeneas.net
Pairing: As far as pairings go, there will be Sk/K, Sk/M, K/O, K/M, K/M/Sk and maybe some other assorted variations.
Rating: NC-17
Author's Notes: While vaguely medieval in nature and setting, this does not take place in any known time or place. It is full of anachronisms at every turn from material things and manners of speech to philosophies that simply were not present in the real Middle Ages.
Also, while this is a slave fic and carries some dire warnings, there are very few graphic scenes in this fic. This is not a typical slave fic in that it is ultimately about goodness, healing, hope and love. There may be more dark scenes before the work is completed, but right now, you will find very little of that sort of thing here. It is not a dark piece, nor a harsh story, so don't let the category "slave fic" mislead you. There is nothing wrong with that kind of story at all, I'm simply warning you that this isn't one of them.
Additional Author's Notes: This is a work-in-progress. Please be aware that I do not work on this story very often. It has taken over a year to get it to this point, it may take another year before it is complete. It is my pet project and I am writing it solely to please myself, therefore I only work on it when the mood, timing and setting are just right. That doesn't happen very often, I can promise. It's not a matter of inspiration or feedback, it's a question of loving a private world in my own head and playing there selectively, to keep it special. So, if you really, really, really need to know what happens next and just can't wait...please, do us both a favor and don't read it until it's done. [g]
Warnings: Slave fic. Angst. References to non-consensual behaviors. Violence. References to Torture. Oh, yeah, and Angst.
Summary: Alex is a slave, but his new home and master are unlike anything he's ever known.
Disclaimer: The characters within these stories belong to Fox, 1013, et al. There is no profit made or intended from these stories, and they should be considered as being for entertainment purposes only.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]