Go to notes and disclaimers


Moss, Sable and Jade V
by Raven


Chapter Ten

Alex made his way up the stairs slowly, head bowed. He knew the master had forgiven him, and he'd begun to forgive himself. But Alex would rather have taken the harshest whipping of his past than know he'd let the master down. Not just the master, but Fitz as well, and after the man had been so kind to him. No, he'd deserved that spanking, had needed it to cleanse the guilt that had been swelling within him.

Reaching his room, Alex dutifully lay down on his pallet, sighing slightly. Enough. Alex would not give a precious moment more over to brooding or regrets. No, he would do as he had learned, and think of an amends for both men. After a moment, Alex realized the perfect thing. It would be difficult, and he dreaded it, but it was right. Feeling much better, Alex heard footsteps approaching. He'd left the door open, knowing Fitz would soon be up, and sure enough, the healer stood in the doorway, a tray in his hand and loving rue in his eyes.

"May I enter, Jade?" Despite the obvious invitation and the master's order, Fitz would never cross the threshold without express permission. He was like the master and Sable in that respect, and Alex smiled into the concerned face, gesturing.

"Please."

Fitz nodded, and placed the tray on Alex's table. It held a simple bowl of soup and some bread and cheese, with grapes in a cluster on the side. Alex sat up, propping himself against the wall. He'd bought two small pillows with his money, the luxury appealing to him. Besides, truth be known, he'd begun to hold one pillow in his sleep, winding his arms about it as he would a lover. It gave him great comfort.

Fitz waited until Alex was settled, then placed the tray on the young slave's lap. Fitz moved to the chair, and there was the moment of silence, then Alex began to eat.

"Jade? Am I forgiven?"

The green eyes shot up, peering at the healer with pure confusion. "Forgiven? What have you done, Fitz?" Alex had no idea what the older man was talking about, and seeing this, the priest gave a small smile of thanks.

"I have my answer. I meant, had you forgiven me for getting you into trouble? It could be said that I made too much over nothing..."

"No." Alex dared interrupt, it was too important that Fitz know how serious he was. "Fitz, you were right. I am grateful. In truth, my deceit was never far from my heart. It...it bothered me, that I was able to take your help and turn to you, and yet, keep this from you as well. I know it is only because of how I once lived, but that is ill excuse. I am made clean, once again. And now, I shall have my day with Alonzo, and need not hear the voice of my conscience at every turn. How is it, Fitz, that such a small voice may be so loud?"

Fitz chuckled then, reaching out and cupping Alex's face. "Ah, child, that is but one of the miracles of our Lord." Alex smiled, a real smile, and both men knew the subject was at a close. After a moment of quiet, Alex bit at his lip, having something else he wished to discuss with Fitz.

"Um, I am to stay overnight with Alonzo, in his bed. He says that we will but sleep, and I believe him. He would do nothing more. Unless I asked. And, well, I am giving thought to asking, Fitz. I am not promising myself more than to consider it, but I should like to be prepared. Fitz, do you sell the ointment? And the membranes? I should like to take both with me tomorrow."

"I do indeed, Jade. And I shall be happy to provide you with them. A caution, the membranes are only safe for a single use, as I have said, and even without use, will only keep in the oils for two months. After that, they begin to soften and tear. To that purpose, I will only sell you three at a time, that you may be reassured of their effectiveness. I shall fetch them for you after even meal."

"How much are they?"

"I warn you, they are somewhat dear. They are difficult to make correctly and hard to maintain. The ointment is cheap enough, I sell it to stables and kennels, to help with exams and such. Only a pewter for a small tin such as you'd need. But I charge a full copper for three of the membranes."

A copper was twenty pewters, and the membranes were easily the most expensive thing Alex had ever bought. Still, he had the money, the master refused to save more than half his wages. Alex had thought this cruel at first, but Sable explained it was to keep too many slaves from being freed soon after their original purchase. They couldn't arouse suspicion, didn't dare encourage talk. And so the master saved only half, the most he dared.

The result was that Alex had a fair amount of spending money. He used it wisely, had only purchased a very few things, and only a couple that were not necessary. Pulling out his coin pouch from within his shirt, Alex found a copper and a pewter, and handed them over.

"I thank you. Sixteen of the pewters go to the cost of the membranes. Three I give to the alms box and these two, I keep for myself. My vow of poverty, you know." Fitz's eyes twinkled merrily at this, for he had far too many possessions to worry about such. There were benefits to not being a frocked priest.

"Of course." Alex smiled back, and then yawned. Fitz was immediately back to business. He took the tray and then went so far as to actually tuck Alex in. The young slave didn't mind, in fact, he was warmed by the gesture, wishing again that his friend could find his own love. He trusted the Goddess, she would make a solution somehow.

"Rest, Jade. I shall send Thomas to wake you in an hour."

"Yes, Fitz." The priest hesitated only a moment before pressing his lips to Alex's forehead, and then he was standing at the door.

"Open or closed, Jade?"

"Mostly closed. I leave a space for the Goddess. She always joins me when I nap."

As if he'd called her, the cat strolled in, climbing up onto the second pillow, snuggling close to Alex. Once she'd gotten completely comfortable, she looked up, giving Fitz a clear look of dismissal.

Amused, Fitz gave a small bow. "Pleasant rest to you, Danally." The cat graciously inclined her head, and then promptly turned her attention to sleeping. Fitz left, shaking his head slightly.

Alex, chest tucked securely to Danally, closed his eyes, feeling her gentle purrs against his skin. It lulled him, and combined with the stresses and limited sleep of the night before, easily put him to sleep.

xx

Alex stirred slightly, a gentle stroking sensation on the back of one hand rousing him gradually. He blinked in the afternoon light coming through his window, and then turned finding Thomas kneeling by his bed. He'd been trailing his fingers lightly over Alex's hand to wake him, having learned painfully not to awaken Alex abruptly. In fact, after the first time, and a painful encounter with Alex's elbow, he usually just stood in the doorway and called.

"Thomas? Is something wrong?" Alex looked down at their hands as he asked it, and Thomas only smiled, shaking his head.

"There's nought wrong, Jade. It was my thought that you could use some comfort. Are you well, my friend? So much has been happening of late, both around you and to you. I fear you may become overwhelmed."

Alex squeezed the hand now holding his own. "I thank you, Thomas. I am well. More than well. But your concern is always appreciated. As is your comfort. In fact, if you are so inclined, I will make use of it again, later."

"Certainly. How so?" Noticing that the boy had agreed first, then asked, Alex squeezed the hand again.

"I have an amends to make. I will be going to the Captain, and speaking with her openly. It will be a-a blunt conversation, but one that must occur, for many reasons. I will do all the talking, but I could use a hand to hold as I do so."

"Anytime, Jade. Now, it is time you were awake, and back to work. You are grown fat and lazy since capturing Alonzo."

Alex laughed at the obvious tease, standing up and brushing out his hair before tying it back. "Aye, and still he is with me and not with you."

Thomas managed to look outraged for a full three seconds, before bursting out with laughter. He took one of Alex's pillows, smacked him upside his just brushed head, and stuck out his tongue, before taking his leave.

Alex re-brushed his hair, and headed down himself.

He made his way to the workshed. He was, admittedly, a bit nervous, unsure exactly what Alonzo's reaction to him would be. Alex was fairly certain the man would be gracious about it, but still, Alex had cost him an hour's service. The time could be made up, the inconvenience could not.

Approaching the open doorway, Alex saw the seneschal kneeling on the ground, plans spread out before him. He'd confessed to Alex that although he used the excuse of his back, the truth was much simpler. As a slave, Alonzo had been denied furniture for too long to ever be comfortable working anywhere but on the floor. It was a firm reminder that this man, too, had known the struggle to become whole, and it let Alex relax.

Alonzo looked up as the young slave entered. The near black eyes swept over him intently, but the man's face showed only care.

"Are you recovered, little one?" The voice asked it gently, and Alex approached, sitting on the floor beside the seneschal.

"I am, Alonzo. I apologize for the hour's loss."

"No, there is no need. If I must punish a slave, I, too, order that slave to rest. I am not concerned about the hour, Jade. I am concerned that perhaps I am to blame in part for your failing. I have been overmuch in your mind, perhaps, distracting you with many new thoughts and concerns. If you need me to limit my attentions and my time, I will do so, Jade."

"No!" Alex, treasuring the words for the care behind them, shook his head, reaching out a hand to take Alonzo's arm. "Please, Alonzo, it was not you, nor your attention. The failing was mine and mine alone, in truth, I say this. Please, I have been punished already, do not punish me more by withdrawing your affections."

The slender arms were around him at once, and Alex rested his head on a stout shoulder.

"Shhhh, hush, little one. I did not mean for that to seem the case. No, Jade, I merely meant that should you find it overwhelming, you can but say. That is all."

"That is twice someone has worried I am becoming overwhelmed." Alex, reassured, eased back, but didn't leave the warmth of those arms. "It is true you have overwhelmed my body with pleasure. It is true you are ever much on my mind, and it is true that my soul quickens in your presence. And, aye, you have given me many new things to think through, but I am not overwhelmed by them, beyond the moment. In truth, Alonzo, I feel encouraged by it all. At times, it seems that I can sense myself growing, becoming more, nearing the goal for myself that I have set. I was very much a child when I arrived here, Alonzo, despite my years and experience. Then I entered into my adolescence, and now, I can see that time dwindling. Soon, I will be a man within, as well as without. I will know myself to be so, hold myself accountable to the same rights and responsibilities as Sable or Fitz. You are part of that growing, my lord, and I would not have it otherwise, by your leave."

Alonzo had been silent, looking at the ground, brow furrowed and lips pursed in deep thought as he listened. But one hand had continued stroking lightly up and down Alex's back, and now that same hand cupped the back of his neck, as Alonzo looked up.

"You are right, Jade. I had not thought of it in those terms, and yet, they fit with what you and the master have told me. Recalling my own, somewhat turbulent adolescence, I see that this is, indeed, part of what is going on. You are maturing, and that requires more experience, not less. It will not be easy for you, but then, that is what makes it last, the struggle to achieve is part of the process, part of the result itself. Well thought, Jade, very well thought." Alonzo looked up, relieved, and smiled at this young man that was coming to be so very dear to him.

"Thank you, Alonzo. And now, I have cost you enough work. What would you bid me do, my lord?" The switch to business was abrupt, but Alonzo sensed that Alex needed to simply work for a bit. Reaching out, he drew up several rolled parchments.

"I need some notes written on these, and am trusting that wonderful memory of yours to speed things along. I am going to need the measures for all the new buildings, that they may be compared by both the woodwright and ferrier. In addition, the final construction lists are being made, and I shall need all the dimensions checked thrice. So, shall we begin?"

"Yes, Alonzo."

They worked steadily, with Alonzo asking for numbers and angles, and Alex recalling. The seneschal scribbled furiously, then paused, handed Alex one of the sticks and a scroll and instructed him to write where he did. Alex would recall the measure, make the same symbol as Alonzo by the same portion of sketch or text, and then they would move on. It wasn't as fast as earlier, but it was on two at once, saving time eventually. Alex was pleased to see that his writing was at least as good as Alonzo's, better in some areas, as Alonzo seemed to write for speed, while Alex had always concentrated on form.

It was pleasant, if precise work, and interrupted only by Alex tending the fire, as Alonzo transferred some of their notes to the third scroll. As soon as it was burning strongly again, Alex returned to Alonzo's side, lying on his stomach beside the man. Alonzo was stretched out as well, and together they finished the notes on the third scroll.

"And done! Excellent, that's easily the quickest I've ever managed all three copies, and without the usual fear of error. Now, run one of these to Earlic, one to the woodshop, and I'll keep the third for reference. When you're finished, I want you to see if they've messages. If they have, and you remember the answer from another conversation or such, then go ahead and give it, with my blessing. Also, stop by the stables and ask Sable if we may take along Jessopa tomorrow. I am going to be hitching Deviant to the back of the wagon, and you'll need a ride as well. I had thought we might do some exploring, and it will be easier if we aren't burdened with a wagon. Besides, Deviant will kick the stables down, do I leave without him. Oh, and remind the kitchens that I'll need a small basket in addition to the large one tomorrow, though they may send it empty and we can fill it from the big one, they needn't pack twice. Find Frokey and ask for another bottle of the same vintage he gave me yesterday, packed to travel. Ah, and go by the sewing room, and see if Edith has my cloak finished. I managed a rip yesterday and wanted to wear it tomorrow. When you've done all that, if there be daylight left," Alonzo grinned, knowing he'd set a lengthy list, "return here and we'll do some fit work on the clock tower. Repeat, please."

Alex did so, and Alonzo nodded in satisfaction, reaching for some smaller sketches.

"Good. Now, off with you, I'm feeling the strong urge to kiss you, and I've too much work for such yet." The dark eyes twinkled, but the face was serious, and Alex smiled his pleasure before dutifully leaving.

xx

Having completed all of his tasks save one, Alex paused in the main hall, pouring himself a glass of watered wine. Thomas walked through, and Alex hailed him.

"Are you ready to go to the Captain?"

"I am working still to make up for earlier. No, I simply have need of you."

"Oh, Jade! At last!" So saying, Thomas flung himself back on the table, legs spread wide, one hand dramatically over his eyes. "Be gentle, it's been at least an hour for me."

Alex stared at him, shocked, for a long moment, then lost his composure completely. He laughed until he was a helpless puddle on the floor, tears rolling down his cheeks. When he finally managed to pull himself together, it was to find the master and Leona looking down at him with delight.

"I don't think I've ever heard you laugh so hard, Jade." The master was eyeing him happily, and Alex felt the glow of it mixing with the remains of his amusement.

"I've never seen anything so ridiculous before, Master." Alex was still chuckling, and now he made his way back to his feet, reaching out to hug Thomas tightly. "Idiot."

He cuffed the boy lightly on the back of the head, but Thomas merely winked at him. "I've been called worse. Now, what did you really need from me?"

"I've a message for Frokey, but I've never had to find him before. Can you tell me where to look for him?"

"Aye, Jade, but I'm headed near there myself. I'll walk with you, if you like."

"Thank you." Nodding at the master and Leona, the two of them took their leave.

Frokey's workshed was at the far end of one of the gates, and Alex could see the grapevines in the distance, row upon row. It was a corner that Alex had never had cause to visit, and Thomas pointed out as they passed.

"These are dyeing sheds. It was thought since they both needed lots of space for drying and large vats and such, it made sense to put the distillery next to the dyeing vats. In fact, once he's pressed them fully, Frokey sends the skins over to be used for dye. You've seen the sort of pale red the girls favor for head scarves and such? That's the grape dyes. For a stronger red, they use onion skins and beets and such, but for that pale shade, the grape skins work best. He also sends the hops and such, for a gold coloring. They make all colors, we've some of the best dyed wool thread about, thanks to Fitz. Wait until you see Lord Fox in his court clothes, the man looks a peacock. A handsome one, but a peacock."

They were outside a moderately sized building now, and Thomas pointed to the middle door.

"That's the main door. Frokey should be there, if not, there's a bell pull by the door, pull it twice and he'll be up shortly."

"Thank you, Thomas."

"A pleasure, Jade."

Alex entered, looking around. He saw a few casks, some larger barrels and a desk. There were shelves along a back wall, containing bottles, and a small table with rows of small glasses and spoons and such on a tray. But there was no one about. Finding the bell pull, Alex gave two small tugs, and waited. After a few moments, a trap door in the floor opened, and Frokey climbed out, clutching a bottle in one hand, a sheaf of papers under his arm. He was dusty, and his hands, seen without gloves, were covered in wine stains, but he smiled brightly at Alex.

"Ah, little Jade! And welcome to the distillery, lad. How be you?"

"I am fine, Frokey, thank you. And you?"

"Could be taller, boy, could be taller." It was his standard answer, and Alex smiled, knowing the smaller man was as strong as a bear, despite his short stature. "What brings you to me?"

"Alonzo asks for a bottle of the same vintage as yesterday, packed for travel." A pleased look came upon the grizzled face, and there was some pride as Frokey set down his bottle, then moved to the shelves, drawing another.

"He does, eh? Well, seems the lad has acquired some taste along with his new keep. You wouldn't believe the rot he used to drink." Frokey shuddered, and as Alex watched, drew some wool batting from a box, wrapping the bottle in it, then in some old vellum, and finally, into a small wooden box. "There, lad, one bottle of the good season, wrapped and ready for a fine romantic meal." He said the last with a wink, and Alex felt himself blush slightly.

Frokey chuckled, then looked thoughtful. "Jade, has anyone spoken with you about...well, about...intimacies?"

"I'm not sure I know what you mean, Frokey."

"Doubtless because I am not much for speaking of such things. I'll try to be plain, Jade. If you have not, you should go and have a good talk with Fitz. I mean no insult or implication, lad, only wish you to have a care." Suddenly, the words made sense for Alex, and he nodded.

"I understand now, Frokey. I've already had a talk about things carnal with Fitz, I am educated, if not fully prepared. I thank you, for your concerns."

To his surprise, the older man blushed strongly. "Yes, yes, well. Is there anything else?"

"No, Frokey, except my apologies if I have said something amiss."

"Nay, lad. I'm just not good at speaking of such things. The first time I had chance to witness Fitz's little talk and demonstration, I couldn't raise my face for a week." He chuckled, clapped Alex on the shoulder, and turned back to the trap door, before stopping and calling out for Alex to wait. "Here, lad, have you time to run me an errand?"

"If it does not take overlong, yes." Frokey picked up the original bottle he'd brought up with him, and handed it out, carefully.

"Would you be able to take this to Sable for me?"

"Easily."

"Ah, thank you, there's a good lad. Now, try to hold it upright, like this, and do not jar it overmuch. Walk normal, but do not trot with it."

"Yes, Frokey." With the bottle secure in his grasp, Alex made his way to the stables. He had to pass them to get back to the workshed anyway, so it was honestly no trouble. Besides, it let him see Sable again.

The man had been at his desk earlier, buried in papers when Alex had asked about Jessopa. He'd received a smile, a quick response, then an apologetic dismissal. Now, as Alex looked in the door, he found the stabler just putting aside the last scroll.

"Jade! Back so soon?"

"Frokey sent you the bottle of wine you asked for." He held it out, and Sable took it, placing it on the desk, then surprised Alex by simply wrapping him up in a tight hug.

Alex eagerly returned it, and Sable said quietly, "I have missed you, Jade. I had no time earlier to tell you so, but it is true."

"And I you. But I am glad to see you and the master enjoying each other's company."

"Just as I am pleased to see you having fun with Alonzo. But still, I miss you."

Alex shifted just enough to be able to press a soft kiss to Sable's mouth. It was mostly chaste, and Sable made no attempt to turn it otherwise.

"I am making myself ready for you, Sable, for you and the master. That gives some comfort."

"It does. And we are making ready for a green-eyed brat in our midst." The tease was accompanied by a squeeze of the strong arms, and Alex grinned. He looked around but they were alone, and so he softly dared.

"Moss is easily twice the brat I am." Sable, delighted by the pronouncement, gave Alex another quick kiss on the forehead.

"He is, at that. May I tell him you said so?"

Alex nodded, not even needing to think about it. Moss would be only amused. "Please do so. And now, I must take my leave. I am still working, and I must get back to Alonzo."

"I'm sorry, Jade, I assumed you free for the evening."

"No harm. Alonzo understands a slight delay in my dealings with you and the master. Still, I should go."

"Have a good time tomorrow, my sweet Jade. And tomorrow night, as well."

Alex reached out, stole a quick, not quite so chaste kiss, and all but ran from the stables, relishing the small taste of Sable's desire, present even in the brief touch of their mouths.

xx

He arrived at the workshop, and Alonzo cast one look at him, before arching a brow.

"Saved the stables for last, did you?" It was a tease, the man wasn't the least annoyed, and Alex blushed, even as he explained about the wine.

"He told me to have fun tomorrow. And tomorrow night." Alonzo drew near, and wrapped arms around Alex. It was different than having Sable's large arms around him, but no less pleasant.

"That sounds a plan. What say you?"

"I am not very good at such yet, but I would like to try, my lord."

"That is all I ever ask." Alonzo placed a kiss on Alex's mouth, still reddened from Sable, and Alex opened to him, seeking the seneschal's tongue. He felt Alonzo's hand sliding down his body, was aware of the sparks of pleasure being left in the wake. His backside was cupped, and Alonzo pressed Alex closer, their groins now touching. There was a groan, but Alex wasn't sure which of them had made it.

"Oh, Jade, you are sweet." Alonzo said it while nuzzling Alex's neck, and the young man sighed his pleasure as a slight nip graced his collarbone.

A small knock and a discreet throat clearing brought them apart. Fitz stood in the doorway, a look of careful neutrality on his face, but there was humor in his eyes.

"Yes, Fitz?"

At the hint of frustration in the rich voice, Alex couldn't help but grin.

"Forgive the interruption, my lord, but I have business with Jade. It should only take a moment."

"Of course. Do you need privacy?"

"Not as much as you do." The comment brought a dark head up, and Alex tensed for a moment, but the lips were quirking slightly.

"You are a very shameless priest. And too damn right. Now, I ask again, do you need privacy?"

Fitz shook his head, chuckling at the mock scold. Satisfied, Alonzo turned back to his scrolls, while Alex approached the healer.

"Jade, I do apologize, but I've been called to the village, and shall likely be there all night. I wanted to bring you your purchase, before I left. Under the circumstances, I thought it best not to merely leave it outside your door."

"I appreciate your consideration, Fitz. Thank you."

"Most welcome. Here." From the large deep pockets of his robes, Fitz pulled a small cloth bag. Alex opened it, peering inside. He found a small round tin with the ointment, and a skin, the top tightly secured, which contained the oil and the membranes. The whole package, cloth bag and all, would easily fit in the palm of one hand.

"I must go now. I fear to lose a beloved soul tonight, however expected his passing, and I would not see him go without companionship. Have a pleasant journey, Jade, and my blessings on you both."

"Thank you, Fitz." The words were echoed by Alonzo, and with a nod, the healer left.

"He's a fine man." Alonzo said this with surety, and Alex nodded.

"I've seen few better. Have you a healer, at your keep?" Alex slipped the bag into his pocket, a bit shy.

"We have. She is most excellent, despite being hampered by her lack of speech."

"She cannot talk?"

"Her former master had her tongue cut out and her voice destroyed when she was but ten. He liked his bed partners to be absolutely silent." Alonzo said this with the casualness that only another slave could manage, but the anger was under the surface, Alex could see it in the dark eyes.

"Is her hair very black, nearly a blue in the light? And is she about so tall?" Alex's brow was wrinkled, but the story was too familiar, as was the master. "And her owner, a very thin man, and scarcely taller than her?"

"Yes, you know our Hwailyth?" The name, a soft blend of softer sounds, wasn't familiar to Alex.

"Not by name. I served with her once, a long time ago. M- my former master..." Alex trailed off, an icy sweep of fear and revulsion overtaking him, as he remembered just what use had been made of the girl, and his forced part in it. A hesitant touch at his shoulder sought permission to hold him, and Alex turned into it eagerly.

Alonzo held him close, hoping the boy had been too lost in thought to notice his gasp. If Jade had served with Hwailyth, then the boy could only have been owned by one man. Hwailyth's master had sold her days after that shared servitude, complaining loudly that the one time he'd let another master have her, the man had ruined her, and had then cursed the other master by name. If what Alonzo knew was most likely true, then it was God's own wonder that the boy he held had any humanity left, much less could be the wondrous creature he cared so deeply for.

And now, it was only left for Alonzo to decide whether he should share this information with Lord Fox or treat it as a confidence. Carefully putting those thoughts aside for a while, Alonzo concentrated on soothing Alex, who was trembling strongly.

"Shhh, easy, Jade, easy. It's alright, you're safe now, you're safe."

When the shudders tapered off, Alonzo backed them up to a stool. Seating himself, he simply drew Alex into his lap, holding him more completely, if more loosely. Alonzo lifted the weight of Alex's hair from his face, over his shoulder, so that he could see the young man better.

"Now, let me speak to you of our Hwailyth. And that is how she is almost always referred to, as our Hwailyth. It is her own name, chosen by her, though it took six other slaves to teach me the correct manner of speaking it." Alonzo grinned, and was rewarded by a flicker of light in Alex's eyes.

"She is a free woman now, Jade. She is a well-respected healer of the sick, and tends not only my keep, but the surrounding villages. My keep is on an island, Jade, I will speak more of that later, but the point remains that she travels by boat from place to place. I insisted she travel with a companion, a man well skilled in reading and writing, since she cannot speak to ask questions of the ill. He also rows her boat , for she has scarce grown since you saw her last, and is still only just so tall. They worked well together, well enough they are now wed, and go about as a couple. She has adopted no less than four children, and they are among the happiest of families in my keep."

Alex, eyes closed in thankfulness that the child had found not only an end to misery, but true happiness, gave a sigh.

"I would be happy to carry a message to her from you, Jade, should you so desire. It will be in confidence, as well, no fears."

"I-I am not sure. I thank you, Alonzo, but it is...complicated."

"The past of a slave always is." Alonzo said it gently, and kissed Alex on the cheek, before simply holding him again.

"I'm fine, now, Alonzo."

"So I see. But since it is nearly time for even meal, and we need do nothing more this even, I believe I shall simply hold you until we hear the bell. Now, hush, you're spoiling my moment."

Alex smiled into the seneschal's chest, snuggling with a sigh. "Yes, my Lord." It was nice, very nice, and soothing to his still slightly twanging nerves. The day had been very emotional for him, and the morrow had a chance to be equally upsetting. But more rewarding, Alex thought, as he felt the slight weight of the bag in his pocket.

The iron rang, and with a sigh, Alonzo pressed a kiss to Alex's head, then patted his behind.

"Up you get."

Alex obeyed, and together they began walking toward the main keep. They were having dinner in the main hall with everyone else, knowing they'd have privacy at the inn the next night. Settled on the bench, they made their greetings to Drell and the others. Sable was unaccountably standing near the back, and the master looked at him strangely as he came down, but merely took his place and conducted the moment of silence. When he asked if there were any announcements, a solemn little boy handed him a piece of paper.

Unfolding it, the master began to read. "I regret that I will not be able to join you at even meal tonight. I am dining in the salon, with Sable."

At this, the master's eyes raised to his stabler. The man was still simply leaning against the back wall, standing beside the salon door, arms casually crossed, one eyebrow raised. Imperiously, he motioned to the note in the master's hand, and with a mock glare of suspicion that couldn't hide the delighted light in the hazel eyes, the master obeyed.

"As Fitz is also away in the village, Leona will be handling all medical needs. Should an urgent matter arise, I will, of course, be immediately available. Should the matter not be urgent, please recall the relative size and temperament of my dining companion, and consider carefully the possible repercussions of disturbing us."

The eyes peered over the top of the note with a decidedly chastising look this time, but the corners were crinkled, and the whorls of color sparkled. Sable grinned unrepentantly as the laughter bubbled softly around him, and with a shake of his head, the master turned back to his note.

"I will be available in my office at the regular time tomorrow morning, and not a moment before. I am sure you will all indulge me in this, as it is...the anniversary of the second time I purchased Sable, and something of a special date for us." The eyes were misted now, and the master looked over, a mix of emotions on his noble face.

"I'd forgotten." The words were tinged with apology, but Sable only shook his head, and smiled at him gently. Slowly, as though reluctant to look away, the master continued.

"Thomas has the keep until the morrow, all non-essential tasks and questions may be directed to him, as the little busy body knows nearly more about running the place than I do, and his many flirtations makes him a source of certain information."

This brought the smile back to the man's face, especially when Thomas stood, bowing theatrically.

"Marita will be conducting the evening reading in my absence, so you need not wonder who killed the Captain at the end of the last chapter." Another ripple of amusement, and Fox rolled his eyes, before finishing in a heartfelt tone. "I thank you for this time and your graciousness. Until the morrow, I bid you all good even."

They chorused it back at him, but he didn't hear that, or the applause, as Sable opened the door and held it for his master, a look of pure love on his face. The master returned it, pausing in the open doorway only long enough to kiss Sable briefly, if thoroughly. The door shut behind them, but not before they'd all seen Sable wrap the master up in his arms, lifting him to carry him to the furs.

It was an excellent start to the evening, and Alex could not have been happier for the two of them. The room was soundproofed, so they would have complete privacy. Only if the kitchen door top was opened, would they hear anything, and Alex knew Leona herself would be seeing to the meal for them.

"I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to see them so." Alonzo was looking after them with a wistful yearning to his features, despite the fact that Alex knew his words to be true.

"What is it, Alonzo? Something hurts you."

"Yes, little one. It is a memory only, and carries no real harm, only a slight melancholy. I am fine, Jade. So, with a kiss for your care," Alonzo did no more than peck him on the cheek, mindful of their public setting, and not wanting to embarrass the slave, "I would discuss something else with you. Namely, our trip tomorrow. I had thought to tell you some of what I have in mind, that you may consider what you wish to bring, or look for. I also wanted to warn you, for Crystal Springs is a larger city. It would be a good time for us to talk. Besides, your friends are all anxious to know my plans for you." He said this, having never taken his eyes from Alex, but a quick glance by Alex showed that several of their dining companions were indeed listening.

"No insult is intended, my Lord, to either of you. It is only that Jade is still learning, and we worry about him." Drell said this plainly, and Alonzo inclined his head slightly.

"Which pleases me much, as it tells me that Jade has friends both good and true. So, shall I tell you what the morrow shall bring?"

He ran down the itinerary, giving them the list of businesses and such where they would be shopping, as well as the places he had planned on them visiting, for pleasure.

"There are a couple more, but they are a surprise, and so I shall keep them secret. Rest assured, I seek only his pleasure. Besides, do I hurt him, I have not only you lot, but the two gentlemen in the salon to face. Think you any man would dare trifle, knowing all of that?" A chorus of assent went up at that, and his friends turned to their own conversations.

"So, now that I have been granted leave, is there anything you should like to do in particular tomorrow?"

Alex thought, then nodded. "Yes, Alonzo. I should like to go to a crystal shop, and to a temple of the Sisters." Alex swallowed hard as he asked this, and he didn't miss the complex look that crossed Alonzo's face.

"Does this have something to do with earlier, Jade? Is it part of an amends, perhaps?"

"Yes, Alonzo. After the meal, I'm going to the Captain and seek her audience for a few moments, as part of the rest."

"Very well, if this is what your heart says is needful, I shall be glad to take you. But remember, Jade, the master will not want you to harm yourself in the process. Be mindful of your fears, and should they be too strong, then amends be damned, you walk away, is that plain?"

"Yes, my Lord." It was a command, and Alex lowered both his head and lashes, needing Alonzo to know he took it as such, and would obey.

A curled finger raised his chin, and a light kiss was deposited on Alex's mouth.

"Now, tell me what you mean to pack, and I shall help you know if it is too much or too little."

They finished their talk of the trip, and turned to other subjects, Alex's friends joining in from time to time. It was most pleasant, and they lingered, just a bit, until Alex saw Thomas clearing his things.

"I will go to the Captain now, Alonzo, with your leave."

"You need it not, you are off duty and I am but your companion. We leave early in the morning, Jade, it might be best did you retire to your room after concluding your business."

"That sounds good. I am tired, it has been quite the day."

Alonzo nodded, and they cleared their things, then Alonzo walked Alex over to the doorway, where Thomas was waiting.

"Until morn, sweet Jade."

"Until morn, Alonzo." The seneschal kissed him for several long moments, and Alex was reluctant to let go when it was ended.

"Now, now, greedy. Off with you, I've packing to see to." Alonzo winked as he said it, turning Alex and sending him off with a teasing spank. Alex had to laugh when he saw Thomas standing, looking coyly over his shoulder, rear pointed at the seneschal in a deliberate fashion. Alonzo sighed, then placed a smart slap on the proffered flesh, causing Thomas to pout and rub the offended spot.

"Hmph. Come, Jade. Let us take our leave." Putting his nose in the air, Thomas strode out of the room, ignoring chortles of his companion.

Once out of the room, he relaxed into himself again, and Alex reached out, taking his hand.

"I am going to miss you sorely, when you are gone. You bring such laughter and life to this keep, Thomas, it will be the darker for your leaving."

Thomas stopped, ducking his head as the words affected him. He raised Alex's hand to his lips, kissing the back of it, before giving it a gentle squeeze and letting go.

"Thank you, Jade. I shall miss this place greatly, I admit. But I am looking forward to University. And then, if all goes well, it'll be the new keep for me..."

"What new keep?" Alex wrinkled his brow, and Thomas turned to him, stopping them as they walked.

"It is the custom of each of the master's keeps to find a boy that shows a talent for seneschal duties. I was fortunate to be picked among the candidates here at an early age. I do know the running of the keep, I've a head for such, and enjoy it. I've also made it a point to study all of those who come here, that I may learn how to approach the slaves."

He paused, looking slightly regretful.

"The last genuine error I made was in my work with you, and though the master assured me it was for the best, and instinctual on my behalf, I still feel badly about that. At any rate, I have been taught all the master knows. I will complete my studies at the University in two years time. After that, I will be given a small holding, at the farthest border of the master's lands. It will be my solemn duty to not only shepherd it, but increase the flock, so to speak. I will start with those already living there, and I will gradually begin...buying slaves."

It was hard for Thomas to say this, and Alex's painful gasp obviously hurt him as well.

"No, Jade, not like that! Please, think, it is the master that is arranging this. What is his purpose, and my own?"

Alex thought, and the truth presented itself at once. Shamed slightly, Alex ducked his head. "You seek to make another Samstar Fields. To save others. You will be buying them, to set them free."

"Yes."

"I'm sorry, Thomas, I should have known better. It was only the shock, I think."

"Forgiven, Jade. It was a shock, one I can well imagine. I remember the first time I went with the master, to purchase slaves. The first time he had me look through the pens, and choose which woman to spare, which child to grant with a new life, knowing I condemned the rest." Thomas' face was stark with remembered pain, and suddenly the reason for his near constant clowning was made apparent. It was a release for the boy, whose labors were far heavier than he had ever let on.

Alex looked at him, trying to see him as he would be, a seneschal, a master. "You will be a good seneschal, Thomas. And, I think, a good master. And our master is right, your instincts will serve you well. If ever you doubt it, remember, you were the first man I ever trusted inside a closed room. The first man I ever felt comfortable around without the cover of my shirt. The first person I ever kissed. You were the first man I ever called friend, Thomas. Yes. You can do it, do what the master does. Not as easily, perhaps, nor as well, at first. But you can do it."

The very young man beside him gave a choked sob, and Alex found himself on the other side of a hug, giving much needed comfort and reassurance.

"Hush, shhh. It's okay, Thomas. It's okay, you're safe." The words were the only comfort words he knew, but the quiet repetition of his voice was more important than the actual words, Alex knew this from his own experiences. The muscles under his stroking palm relaxed eventually, and with a sniffle, Thomas leaned up, kissing Alex with deep gratitude. It was a friend's kiss, nothing more, the love platonic, if deep.

"Thank you, Jade. Your words...I cannot tell you what they have meant to me. I don't sleep, sometimes for days, too terrified of being unworthy of this task. I have never been able to ask anyone, could not think how to approach someone here and ask them. How could I? I was born a slave, but have only ever been free, been loved, known kindness and gentleness and mercy as a granted. I see the children brought here, and not a one of them deserves what has happened to them in the past, not a one of them should have suffered so. It is a wrong, a great wrong, Jade, and if I do not name it outright, I have never, ever forgotten that it would have been my fate, as well, if not for the kindness of Lord Fox. I will give my life repaying that debt, Jade. And I will not count the cost, not for a moment. Not if I can spare one child, let one old man die in peace, keep a cripple from the dark brothels."

It was nearly dark outside now, but the torches had been lit around the perimeters, and in the reflected fire light, Thomas' young face seemed full of a matching fire, his eyes glowing with pure, holy purpose. His face looked older, more mature, and Alex knew this was how the future would wear on his friend.

Suddenly, the fire dimmed, and with a somewhat embarrassed look, Thomas was again a shy seventeen year old.

"My apologies, Jade. I simply needed you to know how much your words are valued by me."

"No need to apologize. I am glad if I can help, Thomas. You have but to ask, remember?"

The boy nodded, and they made their way in a companionable silence the rest of the way, each lost in their own thought.

xx

They approached the Captain's hut, the lamps from within casting a spill of yellow on the ground by the door, illuminating all who stood there. She was expecting him, he'd sent word ahead, requesting permission to speak with her, had granted it.

Now, as she opened the door to his determined knock, she graced him with a smile.

"Well met, Jade, and Thomas, as always. Enter, please."

"Thank you, Mis— Captain."

The slip told Thomas all he needed to know about his friend's nerves, and once they were in the room and seated, Thomas took Alex's hand in his own. The Captain noticed, but made no comment, only taking a seat herself.

"What may I do for you, Little Jade?"

"Captain, I neglected to tell either the master or Fitz that you felt I should be tested for healing gifts."

"You do not say you forgot." She'd caught this, and besides, she knew of his gifting.

"No, Ma'am. I didn't forget. I wish to explain my actions to you, and to make an offer that, should it meet with your approval, I shall offer as an amends."

"I see. I will listen, Jade, as do all with power here. If it helps, you may close your eyes as you speak, and pretend you confess to a man."

"That is most kind, and I thank you, but though I am frightened of many things, I do not quite think myself a coward."

"That is good, for you are not a coward, not by any means used to judge. Your bravery has impressed me many times over, Little Jade, as it does again this even. Now, speak, and I will listen."

Alex, somewhat taken aback by her words, knowing them to be the truth, had to swallow hard twice to make his voice work.

"I was afraid. I was afraid that if I was tested, I would have an affinity for the crystals, and if I do, that means I must study under a woman, for only the Sisters have charge of the sacred crystals. They may be shared, and used by men, but the teaching, beyond the basic, and the testing and rating of skills, belongs strictly to women. You know my fears of women, and perhaps, even why."

"I have been told only that you fear them, it is up to you to tell me the rest or not. I have my theories."

"I will tell you, but not tonight. That is my explanation, but there is still more I should tell you. I feel I do have an affinity for the crystals. When I held my hand over them, I felt...I cannot describe it, really, beyond a sensation. A warm tickle, perhaps."

"Yes. I felt it, too, when you held your hand over them. Do not forget, my hand lay under them."

Alex swallowed hard, knowing that if she had felt it, too, it was likely quite real. "Very well. Then, with your consent, I will ask a few questions, that I may have my fears lessened, and may face the healing lessons with some measure of control."

"Ask anything. My vows may prevent me from speaking the answers, but you have my full leave to ask, without insult or repercussion. I vow it."

Much relieved, Alex sighed, releasing his hold on Thomas' hand somewhat. That, he could handle. "Thank you, Captain. You are very kind."

"Nonsense. Your honor requires honor in kind. Your questions, please."

"I have heard it said that the Sisters require the blood of those that they test and instruct, that they bind them with it. Is this so?"

"Yes, and no. A tiny drop of your blood will be required, simply to test against the Stone of Truth. But no more than a drop, Jade. And the only binding is your promise to keep what we require secret, secret. You swear on your own blood, but a man that lies would find his guilt creating all sorts of dire consequences. Of course, we seldom are fooled, and the crystals never are, so it's more speculation."

"I have fairy blood. Will I be judged for this?"

"Yes. But it will be in your favor, not against you, and ultimately, your actions and attempts are what count, not your blood."

"When I am being instructed, should I make a mistake, will there be punishment? And if so, what kind? For I tell you honestly, my lady, I fear I will not deal well with being struck by a woman."

"No, Jade. None shall strike you. You might be scolded, set to extra reading, extra chores. But none will be mean, none harmful. It is rare even for such light punishments as those, seeing as how we only train those willing to learn. We cannot work against the will, Jade, and so even should you hold more promise for healing than Fitz, do you not wish to study and learn, you shall not be forced. It will be your choice, and yours alone. We only wish to know those with talent, as sometimes consent is granted later for learning."

"I did not know that." Alex felt the relief pour through him. He could say no. It was a wonderful thing, this choice, this gift from every benevolent god and goddess empowering him with the right to refuse. "That is all I need know then. I can endure the testing. I even want to, for I feel I could be of some help to Fitz, and I am most grateful to him. Besides, he is in need of an assistant." Much as Alex loved the stables, he'd been feeling drawn to Fitz, and to the apothecary especially, knowing how useful his gift would be there. Should he have a gift, he could offer to apprentice to the man, without crystals training, and still be of help.

"He is, indeed. And now, with your questions answered, what is your proposal?"

"I would like to go to the crystal shops tomorrow and purchase three stones. One for the master, one for Fitz and one for you, the three people I have wronged. I will let myself be guided by the feel and try to choose the stone that is best for each of you. I will then go to the temple, meet with the Sister of Commons, and seek her opinion."

The Sister of Commons was a Sister chosen to handle random requests off the main road of the city, or, the commons. It was her duty to offer surface advice and readings to all who asked, without judgement. The temple rotated the Sisters, ensuring that each woman could handle any and all questions from anyone. The meanest beggar or the richest king, it made no matter, they stood in line and asked their questions and received the truth. All that was required was a small donation, to be used to help the poor and needy.

"That is an excellent plan, Little Jade. Most excellent. It will be a worthy amends, in that it shows the true change in your heart and behavior, and that it benefits the three of us, and yourself as well, for you will learn much from the experience, Little Jade. More than you can imagine." The cryptic comment was offered with a complete neutrality that forbade questioning.

"That is all. I thank you, Captain, for your forbearance, and your answers. I am ready now, to face what I must."

"You are most welcome, Little Jade. Pleasant journey on the morrow. Go in peace."

"Again, thank you. Abide in peace." With a small bow, Alex took his leave, Thomas beside him.

xx

Alex gave a deep sigh, his relief and his fatigue joining to make him slightly giddy, and very much at peace.

"And thank you, Thomas, for being with me for that."

"Anytime, Jade. And now I shall take my leave of you, for I have another appointment soon, and must make ready. Good even, and have a wonderful time tomorrow."

"Thank you, my friend." They hugged tightly, and then Thomas trotted off, leaving Alex to wander back slowly. He wasn't quite ready to be inside yet, and though the night was cold, it was beautiful as well, a pitch black sky softened by a near full moon, and countless stars. He decided to sit a moment and headed for the floral gardens. They were tended by everyone. A large irregular patch of earth not needed for anything in particular, lay against one side of the keep, the part that would be the back wall of the Master's bedroom. It was too awkwardly shaped for vegetables, and while it held some herbs, it was used purely for flowers, attracting bees and birds, increasing the yields of the true gardens.

It was nearing late fall now, and there were few scented flowers about, but some had remained, those hardy varieties that thrived on the cold. It was a peaceful place, the neatly tended beds imbuing a sense of calm, of order.

He was in the garden, sitting on the bench, enjoying the moonlight, when the kitchen door opened and a pair of quiet figures was revealed. Alex could see them easily, but knew he was hidden by the shelter of the tree he was sitting under.

A turn brought the man's face into moonlight, and showed it to be Alonzo, accompanied by Leona.. He stretched widely, and then turned to her.

"I should sleep soon. Tomorrow will be busy and begin early."

"And the night shall as well, no doubt." Leona's tease brought a flush to Alex's face, and a low rumble of amusement from Alonzo.

"I am not thinking past the chance to hold the boy through the night. That will be more than enough for me."

"But will it be enough for him?"

"That is not for me to say, nor you either, madam." There was a faintly censorious tone in the deep voice, and yet, Alex knew Alonzo wasn't serious. "I will confess, I long to touch him. He is beautiful, Leona, so very beautiful. And I cannot imagine what he could see in someone like me."

Startled, Alex felt his brow wrinkle.

"Alonzo, you cannot be serious!"

"I am. How can I compare to the master or Sable? I cannot. Not that I would even try. He loves them, truly loves them, and they love him as well. They're meant to be as one, Leona, though I understand it ill. I am but a stepping stone, a way for him to reach from one shore to the next safely. And that is purpose enough, do not mistake me. I am beyond honored to have been chosen by Jade, and by the goddess, to respect his beliefs, to fill this role. But I think she might have chosen better for him."

"How much better can she choose than one who would question his worth for Jade? Than one that would stand in the moonlight and lay no claim to him, seeing the boy belonged elsewhere? Than one that gives him freedom and yet the security of control as well? No, Alonzo, aside from the master and Sable, there is no one better suited for our Jade. He is well loved by us all, and we are very grateful that he has you to ease him through this transition."

Our Jade. The words sent his head spinning, and then when Leona spoke of their love for him, Alex could not help but weep. The soft sob was quiet, but Alonzo had not survived long years as a slave without being alert. His gaze was instantly focused on the shadows under the trees.

"Show yourself. At once, please." The words weren't spoken harshly, but they were a pure command from a man that was suddenly all master, and Alex responded instinctively, standing up and moving into the light.

"Jade!"

Alex stood in front of them now, and Alonzo eyed him curiously, seeing the tears.

"Did we intrude on your solitude, little one?"

"No, Alonzo, not really. I was only looking at the night, at the beauty. I did not mean to eavesdrop, Alonzo."

"Don't be silly, sweet, your intent was not to spy, and we took no pains to be sure we were alone. There is no fault, little one. I do not mind what you heard, for it was my heart only. But what caused your tears?"

"Leona. I-I never had a woman claim affection for me. And...and she called me 'our Jade'. It moved me."

"I do love you, Jade. You are one of my children now, surely you knew this?" Leona was looking at him tenderly, and Alex shook his head.

"No, Ma'am. But I believe you." She smiled and reached out to him. He took a step back, instinctively. Her kind face fell, and Alex forced himself to step back up again. "Leona, would you hug me?"

"Are you sure, Jade?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

She smiled and slowly, carefully, wrapped her arms around him, holding him loosely.

Alex should have been terrified, but wasn't. Instead, he felt something shift within him, and soon, he was holding tightly to her thin frame. In all his years, no woman had ever done this, simply hugged him, and now Alex was reminded suddenly and sharply of his mother and his sister, and he drew a shuddering breath. They had been women, though he had never connected the facts in his head, simple as they were. A woman had loved him, two women had loved him, had sacrificed all for him, had touched him with love. These arms, too, though less familiar, held nothing but care and safety and comfort.

She released him, and he smiled down at her, really smiled down at her, before slowly lowering his face, and kissing her cheek.

"Thank you, Ma'am. Good even."

"Good even, Jade." She was fighting tears, but her smile was brighter than the moonlight.

"I will walk you to your door, Jade, do you allow." Alonzo, also pleased, knowing what it must have cost for Alex to come this far, especially if his theory was correct, determined to spoil the boy silly tomorrow.

"I should like that." Turning, holding out his hand, Alex waited as Alonzo said goodnight to Leona, too, and then they were walking in together. They didn't speak, merely walked hand in hand. At the stairwell, Alonzo merely shifted his hand behind his back, and they continued up. At his door, Alex stopped them.

"This is my room."

Alonzo grinned, touching the wood fondly. "As it was once mine."

Alex opened the door, and motioned with a sweep of his hand. "Would you like to come inside then, for a moment? For memory's sake?"

"I should like that, Jade, thank you." Alonzo followed him in, and Alex shut the door behind them. Alonzo shook his head slightly, and then opened it again, half-way. Understanding, Alex moved to his fireplace, stoking the few embers he'd left, and building a small fire to take the chill from the room.

"It looks much like it did when I lived here, though some things are different. I always liked this room, it was cheery somehow, even in the darker days of winter."

"It is my first room, ever." Alex checked the water in his pitcher, and saw that there was enough to wash with before he retired. He'd take a full bath in the morning.

"Not mine. My first room was a kennel space. I had to enter it crawling, but since I was small, it was little hardship. Lord William felt that small slaves needed small space, and so we all slept in the kennels. It wasn't so terrible, the straw was warm and the small boxes held the heat in winter. Of course, Drell and Lord Fox have redone the kennels completely now, so you don't know of which I speak exactly, but doubtless, you have seen them on other keeps. A wooden box with a small door, a post for the collar chain to attach."

Alex nodded, the thought of this man having lived such nearly impossible for him to imagine.

"I still cannot see you as a slave, Alonzo. You are too proud, too dignified for such. And it is plain you are a master, everything in your speech and manner says you were meant to command, not serve."

"Is it so different for Sable? What a man is within has no bearing on whether he serves or not. I was born a slave, that meant I was a slave, regardless of what my heart said. I learned to play the part, Jade, just as you doubtless have played parts in your servitude." Alonzo waited a moment, then grinned slightly. "Would you care to see me, as I was then? The slave lessons never leave you, Jade. I can easily project the image I gave then. It does me no hurt, if you are curious."

"I am, but only if you are sure there will be no pain from the acting. I would not hurt you, Alonzo." Alex's face was earnest, the green eyes bright with care, and Alonzo warmed to it, cupping the boy's face in one hand.

"You are sweet, Jade. But I assure you, it has no power over me now, and so it can do me no harm. You need not worry."

"Then yes, I should like to see, if only to know you more fully."

Alonzo looked around, and then motioned to the chair. Alex dutifully took a seat, and Alonzo retreated behind the half opened door. His voice carried easily from the doorway, even though he spoke softly.

"When I come back inside, Jade, it will be as though you are the master, and I shall be your slave. If you are uncomfortable at any time, you must say, and we will stop. Give me but a moment to prepare and I shall begin. Bear in mind, this will be the type of slave required by Lord William, not by Lord Fox."

A few moments more, and then Alonzo appeared in the doorway, on his hands and knees. The man had taken off his shirt, and untied his hair, leaving it loose. The shoulders were slumped, the back bent, the head down, the eyes nearly closed. The arms were clasped behind his back, and Alonzo's head nearly touched the floor.

"Master?" The voice was soft, little more than a loud whisper, and the tone very subdued. Alex was stunned, the man did look like a slave, and it was only as Alonzo continued to hold the difficult position, that it occurred to him that he needed to respond.

"Come." It was the only thing he felt right saying, and Alonzo dipped his head lower, and then began to crawl across the floor, kneeling at Alex's feet and, again, lowering his head.

Alex looked at the scars on the man's back, prominently displayed, and the bent neck, and suddenly, he could not stand it.

"No! No, Alonzo, please, do not..." Alonzo was instantly standing beside him, holding the shaken form close.

"Hush, little one, it's okay, you're safe now, and so am I." Alex, startled only, was already back in control, and now he looked up at Alonzo.

"I am recovered, Alonzo. It was simply that it was so wrong, seeing you that way. I can't think of another word for it, other than wrong. It was an atrocity, simply seeing you subject your essence so. Does it seem so to you, when you look at a slave? When you see me, command me, does that same feeling occur to you?"

"Yes and no. When I see slaves, in the market place, or at the home of another seneschal, yes, it usually affects me the same way. When I see you or command you, there is a flicker of that, but it is tempered by the knowledge that I am acting the master for a higher purpose, and that is to make you ready to be a free man. But I will never think it right, not even then, for I am but correcting what mistake should never have been made. No souled being should ever have to be taught how to be free, for no souled being should ever be anything but free."

Alex's brow furrowed, as he considered something that had been said to him tonight.

"Alonzo, may I ask something? It may be beyond my bounds."

"Ask."

"The master is slowly setting all the slaves free, isn't he? He began here, and then he found other men, like minded, and he set them up with keeps. They all found a boy, trained him like the master is training Thomas, and sent them out to the next farthest keep. And then he took you, and sent you to the next farthest keep beyond those. And now Thomas will be going out farther still, and he shall find a boy and train him to be seneschal and send him yet further still. The master is amassing land and keeps and slaves, under all these names, and seeing that they are run his way, and in so doing, he is gradually freeing all the slaves. And the seneschals, they have input into the courts and vote on the laws, so the more seneschals he has, the more laws he may amend, or even abol-"

Alonzo's hand came over his mouth, blocking the rest of that word.

"Do not ever say that word, Jade. Not even to me, not even to Lord Fox. There is nothing we can do, no leniency in the law for a slave that utters such, no loopholes, no spirit to be followed, only the strictest letter of the law for such. I forbid you, for the length of your slavery, to ever say that word, am I understood to your very depths, Jade?"

The black eyes were hard as sunbaked rock, but there was a coating of pure terror over them as well, and the hand over his mouth, pressing firmly still, was trembling. Alex, himself stunned at what he'd nearly said, only nodded, his own eyes huge at the enormity of his near lapse.

A slave that was heard by a master, his own or another, to speak of abolition or abolishment, was guilty of an offense punishable by death by dismemberment. They would begin with the slave's arms, then the legs, and finally the head. It was a horrific death, and there was no case for leniency allowed. Only the flat cold words on a piece of vellum, signed by the King himself.

Seeing now that the young slave realized what had nearly happened, Alonzo removed his hand. Alex, needing to show his heart and still limited in knowing how to do so under distress, slipped to his knees in front of Alonzo, bowing his head to the tops of the man's boots.

"Forgive me, my lord. I am so very sorry."

Alonzo placed one hand on the bent head, a master's benevolence, knowing his Jade sought the comfort he was most familiar with. "Forgiven, slave."

He then dropped to his knees, lifting Alex up and crushing him to him.

"Oh, my sweet Jade, you must not ever do such again. I could not stand to lose you to such. You frightened me so, little one." Alonzo, heart still pounding, said this with his lips pressed firmly to the top of Alex's head.

"I know, I'm sorry, Alonzo. I knew better, it just..."

"Shhh. Enough, it's over, no harm done, except to my nerves." After a long moment, Alonzo eased back, stroking a fingertip over the arched eyebrows, the cheekbones, even the nose of the man in front of him.

"Lord Fox would never beat his slaves, but as a freeman, did I allow you to say such, he would have whipped me near to death. And never would he have forgiven me, never."

"You would have had no choice. It would have been my loose tongue that led me to the chopping blocks."

"Not that. No, I would not turn you over to that, nor would Lord Fox. But your escape would have needed to be planned most carefully, and you would never have been able to safely return. The risk would have been tremendous, to us all."

Standing now, Alonzo sighed deeply, stretching his back and turning his head this way and that. A popping noise came from his neck, and he gave a sound of relief.

"Come, Jade. We could both use a drink before we sleep."

The seneschal led him downstairs, to the main hall. There were still people about, their presence a reassurance. Alonzo moved to the pitcher of nearly full strength wine, and poured them each a cup, before taking a seat at one of the benches. They sat close to one another, Alonzo's arm around Alex's waist, and simply listened to the soft conversation and music around them. For nearly half of an hour, they rested so, nerves and mind eased by the normality, by the laughter and contentment about them. Another cup of wine each, and Alex was yawning.

Thomas was in the room, and Alonzo signaled to him.

"Yes, my lord?"

"It has been a long day and longer night for our Jade, and for me as well. I must retire, and so must he, but I would that he not do so alone. I know you to be his friend, and I thought you would not mind overmuch putting him to bed for me?"

"May I kiss him goodnight, as well?" There was mischief in the boy's face, and Alonzo played along.

"You may indeed, Thomas, and then present yourself to me promptly for punishment." Thomas seemed to think it over, then reached back, rubbing at his backside.

"I think perhaps not. As I recall, you have a sharp hand, my lord." With a grin and a wink, Thomas held out his hand to Alex, nearly asleep on his feet.

Alonzo kissed Alex briefly on the forehead.

"Sleep, Jade. I will see you on the morrow." Alex murmured a good night to Alonzo, and let Thomas lead him up the stairs.

Seeing that his friend was nearly asleep already, Thomas only helped him strip to his undergarments and lie down, before tucking him in securely. By the time Thomas had the blanket pulled over him, Alex was snoring faintly. Thomas smiled, then tended Alex's fire, and closed the door nearly all the way, leaving a gap for Danally. He made his way downstairs, only to see Alonzo still sitting where he'd left him, lost in what appeared to be unpleasant thoughts.

"My lord, by your leave?" Thomas held out his hand, and Alonzo looked at it oddly for a moment, before comprehension dawned.

"You need not."

"Perhaps I should like to, as a favor to Jade." The words were said softly, and Alonzo gave in graciously, standing and letting himself be led from the room. In his quarters, Thomas tended the long cold fire while Alonzo changed, then moved to the bedside, blowing out all the candles save one. The door was open, the light from the hallway illuminating the bed and its occupant.

"I am his friend. I would be yours as well, have you need of one."

"I have need of naught but sleep, though I thank you, Thomas."

"Most welcome. Then I will take my leave, my lord. Sleep well." Blowing out the last candle, Thomas set it down on the bedside table.

The man was already drifting as Thomas left the room, closing the door behind him.

xx

The next morning, Alex was awakened by a tapping at his door. Confused and not fully awake, Alex stood, opening it. Alonzo stood there, a gentle smile in place on his lean features.

"Good morn, Alonzo." Alex smiled back, the excitement of his upcoming journey rising to the fore.

"Good morn, little one. It is early, but we have a long journey. If you wish to bathe, you must do so quickly, and then downstairs, please. We shall take our morning meal on the road."

"Yes, my lord."

The seneschal's eyes roamed appreciatively up and down Alex's body, and the young man realized that he was standing in nothing but his underclothing. He knew Alonzo had seen him nude, but still, a slow flush spread across his face.

"Alonzo!" There was a faint sound of reproof, and the seneschal chuckled, even as he dipped his head slightly.

"I will offer no comment. Give me a kiss and I shall leave you in peace."

Hiding most of himself behind the door, Alex leaned out, only to give a small yip of surprise, as Alonzo moved the door aside, reached out and picked Alex completely off his feet. The sound was ended as Alonzo kissed Alex with a completeness that soon had the boy forgetting everything else. When at last Alonzo broke the kiss and set Alex to his feet, he was rewarded by the sight of him, hair sleep tousled, eyes wide and dreamy, mouth flushed, and thin undergarments not hiding the proof of his arousal.

Chuckling, Alonzo stole another quick kiss, then reached behind Alex, swatting him pertly on his rear, before turning and heading back downstairs. Alex simply stood there, staring out the open doorway in a daze, body racing with newfound awareness.

A low whistle broke his thoughts, and he saw Thomas in the hallway.

"You might wish to close your door, Jade, if you think you can get all of yourself behind it."

Alex was puzzled, until he followed Thomas' eyes downward, where his erection was tenting his clothing sharply.

"Oh, Goddess!" Alex leapt backwards, closing the door with a near slam, hearing Thomas' chuckle as the boy went downstairs. After a moment, when the flame in his face had died down somewhat, Alex, too, began to laugh. He moved to his chest, picking up the clothing he had there, but then paused, looking down at himself. There was no way he was going to walk down the hall in this state. He knew that he could think of something unpleasant, but he was loathe to spoil this moment.

Stripping off his clothing, Alex gave in to his body's urging, bringing himself to pleasure with just a few simple strokes. Cleaning up hurriedly, Alex wrapped his towel around himself, and ducked to the bathing chambers. Taking a very fast bath, Alex then all but ran back to his room, dressing quickly, but with care. The hair he fastened back in a single braid, not wanting to be bothered with it while they rode, knowing the wind would loosen the strands.

Taking his cloak and his gloves, Alex double checked the ties of his money pouch. He then took the bundle with his clothes for the morrow and one of his pillows, and headed down the stairs.

He found Alonzo waiting in the main hall. On the table in front of him was Alex's collar and tag.

Alex glared at the man slightly, but the black eyes simply met his with a dare, and Alex chuckled, even as he scolded. "You tricked me."

"I did no such thing. I said I would leave without comment, and I did so. I made no other promises."

Alex, his mood still exceptional, stuck out his tongue.

"Not now, Jade, I must fix your collar." The words brought a strong blush to Alex's face, and he ducked it into his hands with a groan. Gentle fingers urged his face back up, and Alonzo looked into his green eyes carefully. "You know I but tease, as it is a lover's day for us?"

"Yes."

"And you will tell me, do I overstep your comfort? I mean this to be fun, true embarrassment I would not cause you."

Alex, smiling shyly, reached up, kissing the stern mouth. "This, too, I know. To be truthful, I like it, only I am unused to such. But it is pleasant, despite my blushing. I would not have you stop."

Reassured, Alonzo winked at him, then reached out for the collar. "The wagon is loaded. Let me fasten this, and we can take our leave."

Alex held still, and Alonzo fastened it with care, checking the fit twice before locking it, and once after. The tag settled easily against the notch in his collarbone, and Alex dutifully turned his head this way and that, showing that it was well fit.

"Excellent. Let us take our leave. If you will carry that bag, I shall take this one." Two large cloth bags were on the floor, and Alex easily took the one Alonzo had pointed to. They headed for the stables, where Gibson waited, their wagon hitched and the horses tied behind.

Alex said hello to Jessopa, while Alonzo stowed the bags and his bundle, and then he was climbing up into seat beside Alonzo. They were just about to leave when Alex noticed that Danally was sitting in the middle of the small path that would take them to the main road, and had no intention of moving.

"Goddess?" Alex asked, but the cat ignored him, eyes seemingly glued to Alonzo.

"What is the problem, Jade?"

"I think she wishes to speak with you, before we leave." To his credit, Alonzo only gave Alex a long, steady look, one eyebrow arching ever so slightly, before standing and jumping from the wagon. He approached the cat, gave a small bow, then sank down on his haunches.

"You wished to have words with me?" Alonzo could have sworn the cat nodded, and the eyes cut to the young man sitting in the wagon. "I think I see. With your grace, I have been warned somewhat of this by Sable. So, let me say simply that it is not my purpose to hurt him, nor will I take advantage of him. I know that he belongs with the master and Sable, and seek only to fulfill the role of temporary companion, a role you yourself created, my lady."

The creamy red fur at the nape of the cat's neck bristled slightly, and Alonzo ducked his head.

"Your pardon, I did not mean to be belligerent. I simply point out that I feel sure I have your consent already, and wonder what more you wish of me."

To his surprise the cat angled her body, stretched, and reached completely into his cloak pocket, patting a small slip of paper he carried there. It had the name of the man Alonzo believed to be Alex's former master on it. Alonzo had intended to enquire whether or not a slave was missing from the estate, and under what circumstances. Overcoming his shock, Alonzo tried to figure out the implications of such an act.

"You do not wish me to make enquiries."

The cat dipped her head in a clear indication that this was indeed, the case.

"I see. Is there danger for Jade, do I seek such information?"

A small affirmative "mayrow," and Alonzo bit his lip, thinking.

"If I keep the findings to myself, will he still be endangered?" The sound was more hesitant, somewhat conflicted, and Alonzo tried again. "He will still be endangered now, but later, may I seek such?"

The answer was a clear affirmative again, and Alonzo took the paper, tearing it into tiny pieces as she watched.

"My word, for his sake. Will six months delay suffice?"

A nod and an affirmative sound, and the cat visibly relaxed.

"I thank you for your cautioning, Goddess of Jade. I will wait six months. Now, have I your consent to leave?"

The cat made a deep dip with her head and gave a faint purr, then turned and stalked regally away.

Alonzo watched the cat for only a moment, then walked back to the wagon. Once he was seated, Alex could stand it no longer.

"Alonzo? May I ask what the Goddess wanted?"

"She merely needed to clarify some boundaries for me. She is most protective of you, Jade, as are all that know you. I can say no more, for she has forbidden it." This was a stretch, but not quite a lie, and so Alonzo justified it as an easy way to dissuade Alex from asking for more information. "Rest assured, little one, all is well."

Alex, taking his word for it gladly, turned his attention to the heated stones in their foot wraps, making sure that Alonzo's were positioned correctly.

xx

There was a small bag behind the wagon seat, within easy reach for Alex, and after an hour or so on the road, Alonzo directed him to bring it out. It contained their breakfast, and a flagon of milk, still icy from the chill air. After they'd eaten, Alonzo noticed Alex eyeing the reins thoughtfully.

"Would you like to drive?"

"I have not been taught on wagons yet, Alonzo."

"Then I shall have the pleasure of teaching you. Here, the seat is wide, sit between my legs, and I shall guide you until you have the feel of it."

Alex grinned, saying teasingly, "Aye, but the feel of what, my lord?" Alonzo laughed, and only winked for answer. Alex stood carefully, and slid under Alonzo's right arm, taking a place on the seat in front of him.

"Good, now hold the reins just in front of my hands. Don't grip them yet, simply put your fingers on them and feel the pulls, the shiftings." Alex did, and after a few questions, Alonzo talked him through a grip. After some minutes of question and answer, Alonzo let go, and Alex steered them.

"It is not so different than an individual horse, the basic feel is the same, only you must take your cues from your hands alone, more than your whole body."

"Exactly. You are doing well, Jade. But there is a difficult bit ahead, you'd best let me take back over."

Alex did, and carefully moved back to his own spot. There was indeed a rather steep descent on a curve, not far down the road, and Alex watched carefully to see how Alonzo handled it. As he did so, he became aware of the seneschal's hands, his long fingers encased in leather gloves, the fur lining merely hinted at from the cuffs. It led Alex's eyes up to the man's face, and the handsome, if stern visage.

"You are staring at me, which I do not mind, so long as you find the results pleasing." Again, Alonzo had not taken his eyes from the road ahead, yet he'd been aware of every moment of Alex's scrutiny.

"I was, my lord. And I found it very pleasing, Alonzo. Very pleasing indeed." So saying, Alex slid closer on the seat, and let one of his hands rest on Alonzo's thigh.

"Mmmm, little one, I think you are teasing me."

"Mayhap. And if I should be?" Alex let his fingers trail higher, loving the way the muscle tensed under his hand, the way Alonzo's jaw twitched slightly. He turned on the seat, and shifted, so that he could kneel up slightly, leaning over to press a kiss to Alonzo's cheek.

"Jade, I warn you, do you tease me overmuch, you will regret it." The words were spoken sternly, but Alex could feel that Alonzo was only teasing him back. He let his mouth move to the seneschal's ear, ever so gently trailing his tongue across it.

"How so, my lord?"

Alonzo shivered, and Alex smiled, loving the heady feeling of power he had, the knowledge that he could make this man react to him.

"I shall put you across my knee and warm your backside, little one. That is how." Alex hesitated, biting at his lip, and Alonzo turned just enough for Alex to be able to see into his eyes. The man was still playing. It would be a mock spanking, like the swats used to send him on his way.

"You would spank me, Alonzo?"

"I would." The mouth was quirking, and Alex let his own mouth move gently, first caressing the ear, and then lightly nipping it. Alonzo smothered a groan, and Alex's sense of victory was quickly ended, as Alonzo also stopped the wagon. Alex had not expected that, and now, with the reins tied to the brake, Alonzo reached out, drawing Alex carefully across his lap. The throaty chuckle that resulted from this reassured Alonzo that Alex knew it was all for play, and he didn't hesitate.

He drew the cloak out of the way, and smacked Alex's rear with a gentle precision. It didn't hurt in the least, and Alex didn't try to hide his snicker. A half dozen more, and Alonzo paused.

"Well, brat? Going to tease me anymore?"

"Not for some hours, I think, Alonzo." It was an honest answer, if an unexpected one, and Alonzo rubbed his hand across the rounded flesh, so enticing even in a covering of woolen trousers. Another few pats, and Alonzo rolled the boy over, sitting him up in his lap. "Kiss me, Alonzo? Please?"

It was not to be resisted, and Alonzo took advantage of the moment to kiss his companion mercilessly. He sucked on the bottom lip, taunted Alex's tongue, and Alonzo's hands weren't idle, either. One wrapped Alex's braid around itself, while the other burrowed into the cloak, finding the gap between shirt buttons easily, and sliding into it. The skin was warm, and the leather-tipped fingers chill, but it only added to the sensations as Alonzo thumbed a sleepy nipple into awareness, even lightly pinching the erect flesh.

Alex moaned into his mouth, and Alonzo let his hand drop to Alex's lap, finding the erection and cupping it through the woolen trousers. Alex bucked, and lifted his hips, wanting more.

"Please, Alonzo, please?"

"Open your pants." Alonzo commanded it urgently, before claiming Alex's mouth again. Alex obeyed, his hands nearly too shaky to do so, and Alonzo's hand gripped him lightly, stroking the flesh that hadn't shrunk, even at the nip of the cold air. When the pad of his thumb stroked across the head, Alex threw his head back, breaking the kiss.

"Alonzo, more!" It wasn't a request, it was a command, and Alonzo's heart was gladdened, even as he obeyed, stroking the young man's flesh with a steady rhythm. Alex clung to him and the wagon seat, legs spreading, hips moving up and down with the touch. He was panting and flushed and Alonzo thought he looked purely fairy, a wild, wanton thing. Unwinding the hair from his left hand, Alonzo slipped it into Alex's shirt, again teasing the nipples, even as Alex's panting turned into cries. He spilled his pleasure over Alonzo's glove, the essence steaming in the cool, and collapsed onto the seat. Alonzo managed to snag one of the hand towels from their lunch, and tenderly cleaned the slave up, adjusted his still twitching penis back into the pants, and fastened them with care.

"That made for a pleasant travel break." Alonzo offered it dryly, and Alex chuckled, then sat up carefully.

"What of you, my lord? Will you not allow me to pleasure you? Or, at least, to try?"

Alonzo bit his lip, thinking. They shouldn't take the time, and they were in the middle of a public road, for saint's sake; but then again Alex was looking up at him with pleading and need in those green eyes, eyes still hooded slightly with pleasure, the mouth a dark pink from being bitten in passion, cheeks flushed with the winter chill.

Alonzo said nothing, merely nodded, and Alex slipped to his knees on the floor in front of the wagon seat. He undid the seneschal's pants, freeing the organ. Alex wrapped his hands around it, the skin hot in his palm, the tip beginning to slicken under his grasp. He stroked, looking into Alonzo's face, finding the coal-bright eyes so intently upon him, that it made him shudder. Alex looked at their combined flesh, and for the first time ever, understood the appeal of the act represented. It rose in him like a slow tide, with every thrust into his palm, Alex knew true desire, shadowed by a touch of fear, true, but an honest want, nonetheless. The wonder of it captured him, and still lost, Alex spoke his thoughts aloud.

"Soon, my lord, it will not be my hand around you, but my body." There was determination and lust in the husky murmur, and it was all that Alonzo needed to reach his own completion.

Alex cleaned him with care, pleased beyond measure at being the cause for those sounds of need and hunger and release. When he'd replaced the clothing, Alex moved to sit on the bench again. Alonzo was still breathless, and seeing that the road lay straight and even for some distance ahead, Alex untied the reins and boldly began driving them along.

It wasn't long before Alonzo was recovered, and reached out, taking the reins from the boy.

"If I cannot perform this even, I will hear not one word of complaint from you, young one." There was a tinge of playful annoyance in the tone, and Alex threw his head back, laughing loudly.

xx

The rest of the journey passed without incident, small breaks for using the trees, a longer break for lunchtime, and to stretch cramping muscles.

After the last one, Alex asked, "How much farther have we to go?"

"Scarce an hour, I should think. Since we speak of arrival already, let me say a few things. I will not say them to insult you or to mock you, Jade, but only to instruct and protect."

"I understand, Alonzo. I will listen without offense." Alonzo smiled at the boy, looking at him so earnestly.

"Yes, you would, little one. Very well, the city we will enter is large. Not quite so large as a full court holding, and nothing like the capitol, but it is quite large, nonetheless. Have you ever been in a very large city, Jade?"

"No, Alonzo. Well, yes, but I did not leave the carriage."

"And did you see any of it on the way in?"

"No, my lord. The mistress had me blindfolded and gagged. She did not want me to know how long the journey would be, so that I would not know how much longer I would be used. Sh-she often said my despair was the most entertaining when it had no hope of being relieved."

If Alonzo had needed proof of the identity of Alex's former owner, nothing could have offered it more clearly than this small tale of torture. Only one woman was so unrelentingly evil and cruel with slaves not even her own. He knew the bitch, knew the man that let her sleep at his hearthstone. Alonzo's pity for this young one and anger at those who had hurt him threatened to overwhelm the seneschal, and he covered it by stopping the wagon on pretext of checking one of the hooves for a stone.

When he'd recovered, Alonzo again took his place, and continued.

"It was nothing, a stumble only perhaps. Now, as I was saying, a very large city is not the same as a small village grown big. There is a different feel, a different pattern of speech and behavior. People are no more cruel, but they are much more brisk, and can appear to be rude, when they but rush. Also, because there are more people in general, it follows logically that there will be more bad people in specific, in one area. So while you might have one petty thief in a town of a hundred, a city of one thousand might have ten, and a large city of ten thousand might have one hundred, and so on. Therefore, one must take extra care. Where is your money pouch?"

Alex showed it to him, tied to the laces of his pants.

"Not bad. Still, a shuffle in the crowd, the flicker of a knifeblade and your pouch is gone before you can miss the weight of it. Better to tie it to your shirt laces, and tuck it into the shirt itself."

Alex did so, and Alonzo cautioned him against making eye contact, against talking to those he did not know, against straying on his own.

"You must not wander off, Jade. I want you to stay within my sight, at all times, unless I give you leave otherwise. If you should become lost, there is no guarantee of your safe return. Most will respect a collar and tag, but still others will prey on anyone they can, and a collared slave is frequently worth a reward, or may be pressed into service elsewhere. I would also remind you that there are no less than three dark brothels in this city, Jade."

It was caution enough. The dark brothels were named so because they catered to the "dark trade" of the flesh world. Most brothels were clean, well run and respectable, all according to the price they charged and the quality of their women and men, of course. The church might frown, but there was no harm and little shame attached to such.

The dark brothels were the exception. Should a man have a taste for brutality and find himself too poor for a slave, he could spend but a single coin and have that taste satisfied. This alone would not have been cause for shame, as there were many a man and woman with a matching need, and so such tastes could also be satisfied without harm and to mutual pleasure, if costing a bit more, in an ordinary brothel.

What made the dark brothels so loathsome was that they satisfied these urges upon the flesh of the most innocent and helpless of victims. Those adults whose minds never reached beyond that of a young child, those who had been crippled and abandoned, orphans and widows, all were stolen away for the horrors of these hells. The weak, the vulnerable, the unprotected of society were all used by the slavers that fed the dark brothels. It was very nearly the worst place one could find oneself. Also, in a regular brothel, there would be an expectation of reasonable limits, of prearranged levels of violence that did not pass the tolerances of the intended victim. In the dark brothels, there were no limits. Murder and far worse were made legal in those places, a broken whore was a broken toy, simply tossed aside, and another taken from the streets.

Alex shuddered. He'd been inside a dark brothel once, and it had been the only time he considered his own servitude merciful. The pure evil of the place had never left him, and now, as he shuddered, Alonzo could see no more needed to be said.

"You are aware of the danger, good, that fear will aid your safety. Now, I would not have you so frightened that you do not enjoy your visit. Just as there are more bad people, there are more exceptional people as well, and these by far outnumber the bad people. There are things to see that you will find nowhere else save a large city. Only when you have such large numbers together in one place, can you sustain true wonders, and this city has them, Jade, true wonders. There is art here, little one, and music and food. There will be sights and sounds and smells, and each one different than the one before. It can be loud and overwhelming, yes, and we will discuss that in a bit, but I want you to trust me that it is worth it, Jade."

"Alonzo, will...will we need to face the guards?" Alex gestured to his tags, and Alonzo bit at his lip, trying to think of a way to reassure the slave without revealing that he now suspected the boy of being a runaway. Also, Alonzo was long familiar with the man he assumed to be Alex's real owner, if by reputation only. He knew that the man frequently sent his slaves to the guardhouses, and could guess why, though it was always presented as a gift, a reward for the King's men. If these men recognized the young slave beside him, Alonzo knew it would be very bad for them both. At last, drawing on his own past, Alonzo had an idea.

"Aye, little one, we shall. However, I remember from my own time as a slave how very intimidating they could be. It was frightening to be still and look yet not look into their faces as they checked my collar." This was true, Alonzo had ever hated the city guardsmen, and the jibes and taunts, the looks they gave him. "Jade, I can offer you something, but you may find it more frightening than facing the guards. Still it is an option."

"I cannot be harmed by the offer, my lord. I would hear it." Alex was desperate. He had no idea if the guardsmen would recognize him or not, but he dreaded taking the risk.

"Well said." Alonzo stopped them, and pulled out a large broadcloth square from one of his cloak pockets. "This may be folded, and you may enter with your eyes covered. I will be beside you, touching you, the entire time, Jade, my word on it, my hand will not leave yours without the blindfold going as well. I could then show them your tags, and imply that I brought you in so for my own pleasure. They would not see your face, little one." Alonzo held his breath, unsure if Alex could accept the offer or not. It was no easy thing to be blindfolded. Alonzo could not stand it yet, and he had been a free man for nearly two decades.

Alex chewed at his lip, thinking. At last, he gave a silent nod, as though to himself. "Blindfold me, Master." Alonzo caught the slip, well before Alex did, but was far less upset by it. "Alonzo, your pardon! I did not mean...I'm sorry, my lord, I know you do not wish me to call you such..."Alex trailed off, and Alonzo wrapped his arms around the slender form, holding tightly.

"Understood, Jade, understood. There is no need to apologize, you but name me master, and master I am, if lover as well. I took no insult, Jade. I am, until we return to Samstar Fields, your master, and both of us would do well to remember that, while in such a public place. While we discuss this matter, I should further warn you that city laws will require that I place you on a lead in some districts. If you have difficulty with being walked to heel, you may await me at the inn, locked safely in the room, of course. My sincerest apologies, little one, but I can do nothing else."

Alex, holding tightly to Alonzo's comforting form, hearing the truth spoken flatly, the better to be kind, gave a small chuckle.

"You call yourself a master and yet you apologize for giving me only one option? For shame, Sir, a good master gives his slave none, and never apologizes." It was humor, pure and simple, the irony of it all overcoming Alex's frustration and tension, and forcing a laugh.

Alonzo pulled back, looking at Alex oddly, then seemed to read the situation in the sparkling green eyes, for he, too, began to chuckle.

"Aye, but I made an even worse slave, so I suppose I must continue with this charlatan's act." A kiss on Alex's forehead, and on each eyelid, and Alonzo grew serious again. "Are you truly well, Jade, in spirit, as well as body?"

"I am, Alonzo. And I do wish to enter blindfolded. I would not like to face the guards. Do I become suddenly shy and tuck my face to your chest as we explore, scold me if you must for the crowd, but know that I have seen a guardsman or...another face I dread, and seek the comfort of my lover."

"Agreed. And now, let us have a sip of water and go on, for it is only over the next set of hills that we approach the gate. I shall blindfold you at the top of them, after you've seen the view, but while we are far enough so the guards will not notice me doing so."

"Yes, Alonzo." Alex reached for the water, handing it to Alonzo, then taking a drink himself. The seneschal drove them to the top of the hills, and stopped the cart. Alex had gasped as the view was revealed.

"There it is, Jade. Crystal Springs." There was indeed a river that could be seen flowing through the city, doubtless the source of the name. But it was the city itself that made Alex gasp. Sprawling, spreading both far and wide, the walls easily three buildings high. Were they not on the hilltop, it would have been impossible to see the city behind them. From up top, though, the maze of buildings and roads was easily seen. There were people crawling through it like ants on a dropped sweet. Every shape and size, stone and wood and plaster, rock and slab and greenery, all of it together, interacting, sharing the space and creating a unique feeling separate from each.

Alex recalled the way Fitz had described his first viewing of the sea port, the cacophony of sight and smell and sound. While he doubted this was anywhere near that scale, Alex had a glimmer of what that must have been like for the young boy.

"It's amazing." Alex murmured it out loud to himself, eyes staring hugely, nostrils flaring as he instinctively tried to scent the wind for more information. Alex stared for many long moments, until a movement at the top of the wall caught his eyes. The guards were making the round, and it brought Alex back to himself.

He turned, smiling his excitement up at Alonzo.

"I'm ready, my lord. Blindfold me, that we may enter. I am anxious for the experience of the city by your side."

Alonzo pulled the young man close, kissing him thoroughly, then winked before first showing Alex the folded cloth, and giving him a moment to adjust to the sight and idea. When Alex nodded, Alonzo carefully eased the cloth over Alex's closed lids, tying it snugly, but not too tightly.

Alex took a shaky breath. It had been months since he'd been blindfolded, but never had it been pleasant. Still, he could face this more easily than the guards. Alex felt a warm touch on the side of his face, and leaned into it, not aware he was doing so.

"Is it too much, little Jade? Shall I take it off?"

"No. I am fine, Alonzo. It shall be well until we pass into the city, so long as I can hear and feel you beside me."

"You shall indeed. And I give you permission, right now, to remove it at your need. Should I need to, I shall threaten you with severe penalties, but take it off at once if you begin to feel real distress, Jade. Should that be in front of the guards, then so be it, I shall find another way to keep you safe, my word."

"Yes, my lord."

"Then let us be on our way. The sooner we pass the gate, the sooner I shall have the pleasure of seeing those lovely eyes again."

Taking Alex's hand, Alonzo placed it on his thigh, and Alex squeezed gratefully, his hand hidden by the folds of their cloaks, so that the guards would not see.

The wagon continued on its way, and Alex took a deep breath, keeping himself steady, without closing off his emotions. He'd learned slowly that doing so, closing off his feelings to prevent fear, didn't really work anymore. True, it would keep him from fear, but it didn't allow for pleasure, either, and there was much more pleasure to be had than pain.

"We near the gate, Jade. I shall be both crude and severe, for the guard's sake, if I have to be. It means nothing, is only my way of showing the law enforced, in spirit, if not letter. You must not take what I say in earnest, or let my tone deceive you, Jade. You will react, that is unavoidable, but please, remember that I am hard with a purpose only."

"Yes, my lord. I do know, and understand. And when you hear me call you 'master,' you must not show regret." The mouth under the blindfold gave a slight and admittedly tremulous grin, but Alonzo could see the boy was not unduly upset by either blindfold or potential sharp words.

"I'm going to spoil you rotten, my lovely, as soon as we are in the city. You shall think yourself a princeling, not a slave, for that is how I shall treat you, this day and the next. And I would kiss you, but we draw too close. Remind me, later, that I owe you one?"

"I shall obey gladly, my lord." Alex let his thumb rub across Alonzo's tense leg muscle, for just a moment.

"We are next, Jade. Not a word from you without my direct order, is that clear?"

Alex nodded, and under the cloak, Alonzo squeezed his hand briefly. Then they were moving forward again, and when they stopped, Alex could sense the presence of at least two more men. A gruff voice made him startle slightly.

"State your names and your business here."

"I am the Seneschal de Singni, of Bluewoods Keep. I seek supplies for several building projects. I expect to stay overnight, and should depart early even on the morrow, the day after at the latest." There was the rustle of papers, and footsteps approached Alex's side of the wagon. A different voice, no less rough, and obviously curious, spoke now.

"And what of this one? Who is he? And why the covering?"

"He is a slave, mine for the present. He arrives blindfolded because I wish it so." There was a hint of steel in the answer, more than a bit of challenge, and Alex held his breath, but the gamble paid off. The soldier, long used to knowing the voice of command, spoke again, this time without the curious tone.

"I'll need to check his tags, my lord."

"I should hope so." Alonzo said it as though the man were an idiot, and then spoke in a sharp tone to Alex. "Right, boy. No funny business from you now, or you'll regret it. Lean over, let him see the tag, and you'd best not move."

Alex swallowed hard, ducking his head in acknowledgment of the order. He felt Alonzo's hand close on the back of his neck, seemingly shoving him forward, but in actuality, the touch was light, the hand giving comfort, as Alex felt the guard move close into his face, a hand taking hold of his collar roughly, examining the tag closely.

"This is a three-day tag."

"So it is." Alonzo's words were tinged with impatience and annoyance, and the hand holding his collar released quickly.

"It's in order." The man stepped back, and without a word, they drove through the gates. Alonzo could feel the hand on his leg trembling, and while the guard had held the tag, that hand had gripped hard enough Alonzo would be bruised. But still, there was not nearly the distress there could have been, and he was thankful to see that already Alex's breathing was returning to normal.

"Well done, Jade, very well done." They were around the corner now, and out of sight of the guards. Alonzo pulled to the side of the street path and secured the reins, then turned to his companion.

"I'm going to remove the blindfold now, Jade. Remember to open your eyes slowly, and only a bit at a time."

Alonzo untied the knot, pulling the cloth free. Alex blinked slowly, opening his eyes gradually, looking into that austere face, so increasingly dear to him.

"Thank you, Alonzo. For n-not mocking my fears. For finding a way to ease them. For being a good master, and a better man."

Alonzo's eyes welled, and the jaw twitched. It was all the warning Alex had before he was crushed to the man, and being kissed with near bruising force, despite the very tender regard inherent within the passion.

Alex gave into it with pleasure, the intensity exactly what he needed to banish the last of his fright and nerves. His own passion flared to life, and he clutched tightly to the man holding him, kissing him so.

A few moments only, as they were still on the public street, and Alonzo reluctantly let him go, eyes nearly black with his longing. But he only gave the equally hungry slave a steady grin.

"I think, perhaps, I shall be able to manage this evening after all." While Alex laughed, Alonzo put the wagon back in motion, and got them to the inn. He pulled up in the stableyard, checking with the lads that worked there to see that they would house the horses correctly. Alex had gathered their bags and belongings, and Alonzo allowed this, save one small sewn bag. Without a word he strode into the inn, Alex following behind him in an appropriate distance. His head and eyes he kept down and in front of him, knowing that he would need to be more mindful of his state than usual, lest he attract attention. It wasn't hard, the lessons were never really lost, as Alonzo said, and the strange surroundings helped him to revert, from nerves.

The innkeeper swept a practiced eye up and over Alonzo as they entered, and he immediately came forward to greet them.

"Ah, good sir, welcome! What service may I offer you this day?"

"I am stabling a total of four horses, and have already given the grooms instructions for their care. My instructions are to be followed to the letter." Alonzo had retrieved a coin purse and placed a silver on the bar standing between them. "Also, I shall require your best room for this night and possibly one other." Another silver was placed atop it. "I shall require the largest bathing vessel you can procure and the hot water to easily fill it three times over." Another silver added to the stack. "When I call for a meal, I expect a full meal, and double portions." Another silver, and Alex fought hard to keep his eyes down. Alonzo was speaking in level, neutral tones, but each word was carved from granite. The bored tone promised dire retribution if these conditions were not merely met, but exceeded.

The innkeeper, all but drooling at the growing pile of coins, was also listening sharply to each word. This was a pretty purse and the length of stay short. It would be worth the work to see this one satisfied. If another night could be had, so much the better.

"I require privacy, complete and total. If I desire something, I shall inform you of such. If not, I am not to be disturbed in any way, unless my very life is in danger. I tolerate no questions from my fellow lodgers, nor do I expect to be the subject of talk while I am here. My affairs are to be strictly my own."

Another glint of silver, thicker, as two silvers were laid down now. A very intense look accompanied this demand, and the innkeeper bowed deeply, showing it was understood.

"In addition, I shall possibly require the use of one or two young serving boys for the day. I would prefer slaves, but freeboys will do as well."

Another silver, and Alex tried hard not to show any reaction to the words. What could Alonzo possibly want with the hire of such? A flicker of fear and dread caressed his spine, and Alex resolutely reminded himself that the master trusted this man, that he trusted this man.

"Have the sheets and blankets taken out and washed, and hang the mattress on a line until my return tonight, at which time I will personally supervise the making of the bed."

Another coin, the stack not even wavering despite the increasing height. Alex mentally grinned at this request, knowing the master set very high standards for cleanliness, and guessing Alonzo had followed suit.

"Finally, and this is very important," Alonzo took Alex roughly by the arm, hauling him forward a few steps, and then put a hand on Alex's bent neck, all while looking straight at the innkeeper, "this is my slave. He is mine completely. Should I send him from the room on some errand, I expect him to be able to see to my affairs without fear of molestation or abuse. Meaning, anything done to him, any unkindness, I shall take as a personal affront. My slave is my property, and I expect my property to be taken care of, as it is mine. Any harm that befalls him will be visited upon your head threefold, the same is true for my horses and my other belongings. Something goes missing, you had best find it again, and quickly. I trust I have made myself very clear on this point?" There was no silver this time, only the brittle of frozen metal in Alonzo's voice and eyes.

The innkeeper nearly swallowed his tongue, and the man visibly paled, before bowing again, this time very deeply. "I- it shall all be as you say, good sir." There was a pause, and then some spine showed itself, as the man continued softly, "I run a good keep, Sir, always have, regardless of station."

Alonzo softened, just a touch. "I have heard that said. It was one of the main reasons I chose this place. I meant no disrespect, nor to imply that things would not be such without my words. I travel frequently, and am merely used to seeing it so, whether by luck or my own will."

The innkeeper chanced a faint grin, having relaxed a fraction. "And the liberal application of silver polish?"

Alonzo's mouth quirked, and he arched an elegant eyebrow. "I am no fool. Luck and will can only take a man so far. Beyond that, coin is required."

The innkeeper laughed, and rang a small bell pull. A fresh- faced lad of some nine years appeared. The boy was dressed cheaply, but the clothes were warm and clean, and the frame, while lean, wasn't underfed.

"Yes, Master?"

"Take the gentleman and his things to the tower bedroom, the full corner, lad. Then strip the sheets and bring them down. I'll send one of the girls up in a bit, and you can bring down the mattress, too, then wait for orders."

"Aye, Master." The boy looked puzzled, but turned at once with a deep bow to Alonzo. "This way, if it pleases you, good sir."

Alonzo followed him, and Alex shifted his bags slightly before following as well, keeping his eyes on the steps.

They passed one floor, and at the top of the next set of stairs was a wide landing, and only two doors. The boy opened the last door, and gestured them in with a bow.

Alonzo strode in, and Alex waited for the boy to precede him, then followed. His hands were cramping from their hold on the bags, and his right arm was nearly numb, but there was nothing he could do about it, not here. So he remained in the doorway, waiting patiently as Alonzo inspected the room.

"Yes, it will do nicely, and it's clean, good." Alonzo snapped his fingers and made a vague motion toward one wall. Alex moved at once to put the bags down, making sure he set them down with no obvious noise. Another click of those fingers, and Alex saw that Alonzo was motioning him down, all while staring out the window. Alex knelt, surreptitiously looking about through his lashes.

There was a shy knock at the doorway, and Alonzo turned, motioning in a young girl. The bed was quickly stripped and carried down. When the boy returned, Alonzo slipped the child a pewter, and dismissed him.

As soon as the boy was gone, Alonzo was standing in front of Alex, holding out a hand.

Alex put his own into it, and let the seneschal help him to his feet. Once there, Alonzo wrapped his arms around Alex, hugging him tightly for a moment, before easing back and smiling into those green eyes. Taking one of Alex's hands, Alonzo began massaging it.

"They were heavy, I know, but I could not rush my words below, nor my inspection of the room."

"I thought you were not going to show regret at playing the master." It was a gentle tease, and Alonzo inclined his head, kissing the back of the hand he still held.

"You are right, of course. I shall make a deal with you, Jade. You cease apologizing for being needful, and I shall stop apologizing for doing what I must. We will simply accept that the other is doing what is necessary, and assume all apologies. What say you?"

"That sounds good, Alonzo. You have your deal." They shook hands with mock solemnity, before chuckling. Alonzo put an arm around Alex's shoulders, turning him to face the room.

"So, what do you think of the room?"

It was huge, two rooms actually, a bedroom area and a living area. The mattress had been wide and thick, as well as long, the bedframe the largest Alex had ever seen. There were two large fireplaces, tall, if narrow windows set in the outer walls, and plenty of thick candles. The floors were thickly carpeted, and there were both chairs and tables scattered about. The wooden pitchers and cups were sturdy, but prettily made, and fresh flowers graced several places in the room.

"It is my first time in an inn, but I think the room very nice."

"You've never stayed at an inn?"

"Not inside the rooms, no. I was always chained in the stables, or to a pillory outside. Is it a nice room?"

"Very. Quite good details, and very clean. And look, note where the chamber pots lie."

Alex scanned, finally finding them on a low shelf inside the fireplace itself, resting just above the banked embers.

"That is a true sign of a quality inn. Placing it so helps prevent illness, the fire burns away sickness. The porcelain is not harmed by the extra heat, and yet it must be very clean before placed within, or the smell will fill the room. Tell me what you smell."

"Flowers. The cleaning oil for the furniture and floors. The fireplace. Spice, of some sort."

"That would be the hearth. They've tossed a few cinnamon sticks amongst the rushes. But you see my point, there is no unclean odor to be found."

Alex nodded, and then pointed to a small object on a table. "What is that, my lord?"

Looking over briefly, Alonzo grinned. "It is an inn token. Some inns give their guests a token to be used within the city, it carries some bargaining advantage."

"From what I saw earlier, you need no bargains." Alex asked it gently, unsure if Alonzo were the type of man to be offended by talk of wealth.

"I have more than I need, it is true. The master saves half- wages only. When he gave me my freedom, imagine my surprise to find that he'd gone back, and paid me the other half from the time his father bought me. When I asked him about it, he only smiled that sad smile of his and said that he'd used me many times during those years, and that even then, I'd belonged to him more than I ever had his father. It was true, so I yielded to his will without a fight. Besides," and here Alonzo looked at Alex conspiratorially, "Lord Fox then had no say over what I could spend it on, and so I was able to finally give him a great gift, one he'd always wanted, and never used his money for himself."

"What did you give him?"

"The window, for his bedroom downstairs. Before, he had a small pane, much like your own. I bought the glass and paid to have the labor done. He threatened me with all sorts of things, of course, but I was a freeman then, and about to go to university, so there was nothing he could do."

Alex smiled, liking the idea of the master being made to accept something that obviously meant so much to him.

Alonzo stretched, moving toward the window. "Speaking of windows, look, Jade. We have a wonderful view of the better part of the city."

Alex joined him, and it was true. The city stretched about them, and Alex let his eyes drift. They came to rest on a group of children, and Alex bit at his lip.

"Alonzo? I would ask something, but it is bold, and may be too much."

"There is no harm in the asking."

"Thank you. You said you might need to hire two boys. You told the innkeeper that you preferred slave boys. It is none of my business, Alonzo, and I trust you, honestly. But well, I cannot think what you would need such for."

Alonzo turned, looking at Alex inscrutably. "I have many reasons, Jade, not all of which I am at liberty to reveal. I will tell you that their duties will be light, and I shall see them rewarded. I can tell you nothing else at this time, little one."

"Understood." And it was true. Alex knew that just as the master kept things from them in order to keep his slaves as safe as possible, so too, did Alonzo have dealings best not revealed. Alex had struck the source of it earlier, when he'd asked if the master were freeing the slaves.

"Thank you, Jade. Your confidence in my motives is most reassuring. But now, it is time we set to work. We have much to do this even, Jade, and since I have plans for the night as well, I do not wish to dawdle. Make use of what you need, we shall leave in just a few minutes."

"Yes, my lord."

Alex used the time to wash his face and hands, feeling slightly grimy from the journey. He also undid his hair, taking out the ties and braid, and brushing it out. He startled slightly as he felt strong fingers take his brush, and the task, from him.

"May I?"

"Of course." Alex, only ever having had Sable do this for him, expected to be groomed again. Instead, the long draws of the brush over his scalp and through his hair was faintly arousing, as Alonzo used his fingers as well, massaging the scalp gently before stroking through the dark chestnut strands.

"You have beautiful hair, Jade. It flows through my fingers like silk, and shines like it, as well. And this fragrance, did Fitz make this scent for you?"

"He did."

"It suits you. Of course, Fitz would scarce make one that did otherwise. Now, tell me, Jade, how do you wish to wear your hair? For I must stop playing with it soon, or we shall get nothing done this even."

"A simple ponytail, Alonzo." Alex smiled as he felt the fingers deftly secure his hair in the rawhide ties. "Thank you, my lord. You did not have to do such."

Alonzo turned him, kissing him soundly, if briefly. "I wanted to do such, Jade. And I beg to differ, I promised to treat you like a princeling whenever possible, and so I shall. Now, if you have primped enough," here Alex blushed slightly, "we shall be on our way."

"I am ready, my lord. Though if you think me the primp, you have never shared a bathing chamber with Thomas." Alonzo chuckled, and they took their leave, the seneschal locking the door carefully behind them.

xx

When they arrived in the main hall, the innkeeper came forward at once.

"Do you require anything, good sir?"

"The boys, have they arrived?"

"They have, Sir, that's them there. Begging your pardon, but you gave no clue to size or age, so I had four sent for your choosing."

"Call them." Alonzo made no apology for the earlier lapse, but Alex had a feeling it had been intentional.

The innkeeper snapped his fingers, and called, "Boys!" His voice was mild, and yet all four young men got to their feet, approaching with only a trace of hesitancy, though Alex could see the wariness in their eyes.

They ranged from about four to about age ten, and looked like stair steps, from smallest to largest. None of them were more than slender, and they were all clean, but one boy had fresh stripes on his calves.

"You, boy. What were you whipped for?"

"I broke a crock of jam I was taking to market, Master." The voice was soft, faintly tremulous, and the throat bobbed with nerves.

"And how did you come to do such?"

"I was looking at a toy seller, and tripped over a loose brick in the pavement, Master."

"Ah. So I see." Alonzo moved behind the boy, and lifted the pants leg slightly more. There were only the three stripes, and they weren't true welts, only red marks. Satisfied, Alonzo did the same with each boy, and looked under their shirts as well. He then had them open their mouths, and checked their hands.

Alonzo looked them each over, and then nodded. "I shall use them all."

The innkeeper produced string and paper tags. Rented slaves changed temporary owners too frequently for metal tagging, and so paper tags were tied around the rings of their collar. These boys were wearing metal collars much like his own, but Alex was pleased to note they were adjustable.

When all four boys bore the paper tags, Alonzo gestured to the door. Three of the boys had a coat, but the fourth did not.

Alonzo led them all out to the stableyard, and once there, directed them into the back of the wagon. He told each child where to sit, and Alonzo noticed he placed the coatless boy in the middle of two others, their bodies and cloaks shielding him somewhat.

"Here, boy," Alonzo called the stable hand.

"Yes, Master?"

"Fetch me a horse blanket. A good one." The boy obeyed at once returning with a clean thickness of wool. Alonzo handed it to the coatless boy casually.

"Hold this for me. Wrap it around you, I want it well warmed when I put it on the horse."

"Yes, Master." The boy obeyed at once, and Alex carefully did not grin at Alonzo as he took his place in the wagon seat.

"Do any of you boys know the way to the spice market?"

"Master, I believe I may, though I cannot say for sure." This was the second tallest child, offering the words hesitantly, and Alonzo had him stand and face the street.

"Direct me, boy, and if you think you have erred, let me know at once. I do not punish for honest mistakes, lad, but if you get us truly lost through fear, I shall be annoyed." It was a threat, Alex knew the boy took it as such anyway, but vague enough that there was no promised retribution. Again, Alex caught the way Alonzo was working them, and knew an odd moment of seeing through the eyes of both the master and the slave.

The boys were silent, as was to be expected, only the softly spoken directions of the child and the murmurs from Alonzo to the horses breaking the silence. Of course, sound blazed all around them, horses, barkers advertising their wares, dogs and people all infusing the air with a drive that Alex could very nearly feel.

It wasn't too long before they were pulling up in front of a section of the city that added scent to the sound.

"There, Master. The spice markets." The boy was obviously relieved, even sighing softly, and Alonzo turned slightly, holding out a pewter.

"Well done, lad." The child looked at the coin with longing, but only spoke regretfully.

"Master, I thank you sincerely. But I cannot. It's forbidden, Master. I am not permitted coins." Alonzo's eyes darkened, but he only gave a small smile and put the coin away.

"Then I shall have to find a pewter's worth of reward and give it to you in another form. Is it only coins that you are forbidden?"

"Yes, Master. I believe so. It is all I have ever heard spoken of."

"Fair enough." Alonzo had tied the cart now, and he motioned to Alex. "You, help them down. I want no damage to borrowed goods."

Alex dipped his head, and moved to the back of the wagon. Lifting carefully, he set each child down, puzzling over the youngest. The child looked fine, but there was something in the smell that was off, somehow. Not that Alex had much experience with young children. He'd spent no more than a couple of hours in the children's ward each month, having too much to learn to be placed there immediately. Still, there was a feeling of wrongness, and Alex determined to try and discuss the situation with Alonzo as soon as possible.

Alex set him down, noting a faint tingle from the child, and again, felt that pang of wrongness. He felt Alonzo's gaze, and tried to convey his thoughts in a glance. He must have been semi-successful, for the seneschal gave a nod, and then spoke earnestly to the boys.

"We shall enter as a group. We shall shop, as a group. We shall leave, as a group. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Master." It was a young chorus, and Alonzo gave a sharp look to each boy, before pointing to Alex.

"You'll go last, and bear the packages. Keep the nimble feet between us." Alex gave a nod, and Alonzo thought a moment. "You have leave to speak. It will be crowded, I would hear you answer me."

"Yes, Master."

Satisfied, Alonzo led the way, pausing at every other stand, giving both Alex and the boys time to look about. And there was much to see.

Alex had never known there were so many types of plants in the whole world. Flowers, seeds, leaves, fruits, vegetables, powders from the dried plants and plants in entirety lined the narrow aisles. Foods, beverages, clothing, anything that could be made from the plants, were also for sale.

It was intoxicating.

People, in every form and fashion, throngs of them, and a multitude of languages flowed around him. It was a riot of sound and sight and smell, textures everywhere caught the eye, and Alex thought it wondrous. The boys, too, seemed stunned by all that was about them, though they tried hard to pay attention to Alonzo, and he made sure they were successful.

They shopped, Alonzo purchasing various spices and flowers, a list in his hand. At one point he looked puzzled.

"What was the plant Fitz mentioned being low on?"

"Kavassian root, Master," Alex spoke softly.

"That was it! Yes. Now, boy, think, are there any needs for Leona? Other things Fitz might need, but not have mentioned to me?"

Alex thought hard. "Fitz mentioned wanting some ylang- ylang, Master, and hornflower root. Leona was looking for cardamom and anise seeds, as well as lemons and cocoa beans." Alex frowned slightly. He didn't care for most beans, and when Leona had said she was searching for them specifically for him, Alex had been frankly puzzled.

Alonzo kept his face neutral, but there was mischief in his eyes. "And tell me, have you ever had cocoa, in any form?"

"No, Master, not that I knew."

"And what of chocolate?"

"Again, not that I knew."

Alonzo said nothing more, merely returned to the shopping. It was not overly long, the market was very well stocked, and soon each boy had a small bag, in addition to the large bags carried by Alex. Alonzo stopped by a stall, and selected six pewter's worth of sweet rolls, and a jug of milk. Motioning them back to the wagon, he had Alex store the purchases, and lined the boys up.

"You did well, boys. Jade, two wet cloths."

Alex brought them, and Alonzo had him wash each child's hands with one. Alonzo then handed each boy a sweet roll. They were large and warm, and dripped with honey and spices, chunks of currants and raisins studding the curled dough. Alex eyed them longingly, but knew he got such treats regularly. The boys were staring at it as though they'd never seen such up close.

Alonzo had the jug of milk, and now he held it out to the first child, supporting it with his hands.

"A good drink, now."

"Yes, Master." The child was stunned, but obediently took a drink. Alonzo wiped the jug's rim with the cloth, and then moved to the next child. When all four had taken a large drink of the milk, he nodded toward their sweet rolls.

"Eat, while it is still warm, but take small bites, and chew them well."

There was a moment when no one moved, and then as one, the boys managed a proper thanks.

Alonzo waved it off, pointing to the rolls, saying only quietly, "Eat, now."

They obeyed, and Alex thought he would remember forever the look on their faces as the dessert touched their tongues. They obviously fought their need to gobble, as it was with great deliberation that they took their time eating. Alonzo paused them once, giving them each more milk, and then again, when they had finished their rolls. Alex was then instructed to wash both faces and hands, and set the boys in the wagon.

There was a brief pause, and then the largest child spoke with some fear. "Master?"

"Yes, boy?"

"Th-thank you. From all of us."

"You already thanked me once, lad."

"Yes, Master. I-I wanted to do it again."

Alonzo's eyes, hidden from the boy by virtue of his position, softened immensely. "Understood."

Alex, who also understood, all too well, managed an unseen smile at Alonzo. The seneschal returned it, and then, with a wink, held out a small wrapped parcel.

Alex opened it curiously, and bit his lip to keep from laughing. It was another of the sweet rolls.

"Thank you, Master."

A nod, and they were driving back to the inn. They were nearly there, when suddenly there was a gasp from the back, and a commotion.

Alonzo pulled over, tying off the reins, and turned in his seat.

The littlest child was writhing and thrashing on the bed of the wagon, eyes rolled back in his head, jaw locked, head thumping. Alonzo immediately jumped into the bed, lifting the child to the center of the strewn hay.

"Jade, two blankets, one folded, quickly!" Alex moved as fast as he could, and Alonzo placed the child's head on the folded blanket, letting it bump without injury.

"Do any of you know this child?"

"I do, Master." There was sheer terror on the youngster's face, and Alonzo softened his tone and features.

"This has happened before, has it not?" Alex saw as the child considered lying, considered not answering, and then gave in to trust. It was the oldest boy again.

"Yes, Master. Please, Master, he cannot help it." There was a world of pleading in the few words, and Alonzo risked a small smile.

"I know, and I am not angered. I have seen this sickness before. He is in no trouble."

"Thank you, Master." The relief on the features said much, and Alonzo caught something else in the tone, the eyes, the way the hand reached and curled.

"How do you know him?"

"He is my brother, Master."

"You may go to him. Comfort him."

The boy flew to the small form. The episode was passing, the young child beginning to still, the muscles losing the horrible tension. As soon as the eyes blinked with recognition of what had happened, they filled with tears, darting a quick glance at Alonzo.

"It's okay, Gerard, he's not angry. You aren't going to be punished this time, shhh, do not cry, brother." The words were little more than whispers, but they cut through Alonzo. Alex, seeing the way the little one clung to his brother, was reminded of his sister, and felt the sudden sting of tears.

Alonzo reached out, helping the child to sit up.

"Did you bite your tongue or lips?"

The boy opened his mouth, allowing Alonzo to check.

"Good. Now, your brother is right, you are in no trouble, young one. I have seen your sickness before, and while there is little that can be done to help, it is nothing more than an illness, and one that cannot be given to another." At that, all the boys relaxed, and Alonzo spoke more softly than he had all afternoon. "Are you feeling better now?"

"Yes, Master. I'm sorry for the trouble, Master."

"Those are good manners, I like that in a slave." Alonzo placed a light hand on the boy's bent head, and then moved back to the driver's seat.

He drove the rest of the way in silence, and Alex could tell his mind was busy. At the inn, Alonzo distributed the packages and had the boys carry them inside. Once in the main hall, Alonzo spoke to Alex.

"Take these on up, and place them on the wall with the luggage, then walk the boys back down here."

"Yes, Master."

"And hold your tongue, it is quiet here."

Alex, stung slightly, only obeyed. He led the boys up in silence and pointed to where the packages should go. As he did so, Alex chided himself for being an idiot. Of course, Alonzo was trying to help him not be afraid. It was always easier to serve in silence, less chance of a mistake then, of drawing notice to yourself. Shaking his head at his own silliness, Alex placed the last package on the floor.

"Your master is nice." The youngest boy offered this, and Alex couldn't help but nod. "Does he whip you a lot?"

Alex shook his head, realizing that was safe enough. The boy hadn't asked if he were whipped, only if he were whipped a lot.

"Good. Because I think you're nice, too."

Alex smiled at the little boy, who was gently hushed by his brother, and they went back downstairs. Alonzo was copying something down from a paper held in the innkeeper's hands. It was the rental agreement for the boys.

"They served me well. I should like to pass along my compliments. How is that done here?"

"You can write a note on their tags, Sir, and you can send a coin, with the child that pleased you. The coin can't be kept by them, but they'll get an extra ration, or somewhat."

Alonzo looked skeptical, but the youngest boy was nodding at Alex, and at Alonzo's asking glance, they all nodded.

"You would not lie?"

"I would not, Master. Not to you." The oldest boy said this, and the innkeeper, perceiving insult, drew back to place a smack on the boy's head. The hand never reached its target.

"That boy is still mine, and no one touches what is mine, save me." There was deadly intent in the voice, and the innkeeper swallowed hard.

"Of course, Sir, I only meant to lesson the lad on watching his mouth." "The lad gave me an honest answer, and since I demand the truth from my slaves, he sought only to obey me. While some masters would have been insulted by his words, I am not. He pleases me by his forthrightness. I do not care for false politeness from anyone. It is especially unseemly in a slave."

Turning back to the boys, Alonzo took their tags, making a note on each of them. He spoke to the child that had directed him to the spice market.

"I have placed an extra comment on your tag."

"Thank you, Master." The other boys chorused it, and the oldest boy looked at Alonzo longingly, as they took their coins and headed toward the door. Suddenly, the youngest broke free and ran back, dropping to his knees in front of Alonzo.

"Yes?"

"I-I wanted to hug you, but I'm not allowed."

"No, you aren't. However, you are allowed this." And Alonzo placed his hand on the young boy's bent head, smoothing the hair ever so slightly. "Now go, it grows late."

"Yes, Master." The boy ran back to where his brother waited, looking for all the world as though he wanted to do the same. Out of sight of the innkeeper, Alonzo graced him with a smile and a wink.

Shyly, the boy returned it with caution, and then they were gone. Alonzo snapped his fingers, and Alex followed him up the stairs.

xx

Once in their rooms, Alonzo collapsed on a cushion on the floor, eyes closed, nostrils flaring slightly.

"Jade, I need you to remember some facts and a name and address for me. Are you ready?"

"Yes, Master." It was habit only, from earlier, but Alonzo gave a tiny wince at the word.

Going over to him, and kneeling beside him, Alex reached out, kissing the seneschal deeply.

"Thank you, Jade. I needed that." Alonzo stroked along Alex's cheekbone with the back of a finger, and Alex smiled at him.

"As did I, Alonzo. Now, I am ready to remember."

Alonzo gave him a brief description of the brothers, and some facts about them, ending with what Alex guessed was the name and address of their owners.

"There is nothing I can say definite yet, but I am going to send word, and see if Lord Fox will buy those two. I think he can, especially if Lang knows to mention the younger one's illness. I will then buy them from him, and take them back to Bluewoods Keep, to live with me. I have a couple needing a child, and those two would be worth the saving."

Alex was happy for them, but his brow wrinkled as well. "What made you choose them?"

"The boy still thinks, the older one. He has good instincts, and his heart seems to be malleable yet. The younger one faces a hard future, he is in peril even, perhaps."

Alex again felt that oddness, of seeing things as both the master and slave, before Alonzo's hands on his body drove it away. He pulled Alex down to lie beside him, and simply held him close for a bit.

"Do not get over comfortable. We have much to do yet, and must leave again in but a few minutes. But I missed touching you. I especially missed your voice, little Jade. You do know why I am keeping you silent, do you not?"

"Yes. It is to help me be invisible."

"Exactly. I am relieved you knew that. When I told you to be quiet downstairs, there was hurt in your eyes." Alonzo traced an eyebrow ridge, face regretful.

"True. I have grown spoiled. It has been months since I was hushed abruptly. I have feelings now, thanks to the master and Samstar Fields. And those that live there. Those feelings were stung, but only for a moment, Alonzo, only until I realized why you had said such. Then I berated myself for being so foolish."

Alonzo smiled, tugging gently on Alex's ponytail. "You are foolish indeed, to think I would hurt you, however slightly, without cause." Alex smiled at the false scolding, and pulled Alonzo's head down to his own.

A few kisses later, Alonzo sighed reluctantly.

"Come, Jade. We have much to do, and I would be done with all duty for the day."

Alex stood, not wishing the business to drag out overlong.

They went downstairs to the stables, but this time they would be riding.

"Hello, my fine lady," Alex murmured to Jessopa, stroking her jaw the way she liked. She whickered, nuzzling up to him.

Deviant came out of his stall and glared at Alonzo, who glared back, arms crossed on his chest.

"That's right, I used the wagon. If you have a genuine complaint that I do not have you yourself haul heavy loads, I can arrange that quickly enough." Deviant glared a moment more, snorted, then took a grudging step forward and lightly bumped Alonzo on the shoulder. "There, now, that's more like it. Besides, I left you this pretty little thing for company, did I not?"

Alonzo grinned as Deviant gave a low whicker, and nuzzled him more fully.

"You are a cad. And now if you're quite ready, I should like to ride."

Deviant cocked his head for a moment, then tossed his mane.

"Thank you." Alonzo said it with no little attitude, and Alex bit at his lip to keep from laughing.

Once mounted, they headed out at a steady, if moderate walk.

"You may speak freely until we get to the first stop, or I say otherwise. We shall go to the toolsmith's first, Jade. And it is one of the places where I shall have to walk you to lead. From there, we will visit the woodwright's, and after that, the boatwright, where again, you shall be on lead. From there we visit the jeweler. After that, we shall be free for the evening, what is left of it, anyway. Still, I'm hoping it will not be overlong."

As they rode, Alonzo took care to point things out to Alex, delighting in the younger man's wonder and excitement. When they rounded a bend and were suddenly confronted by a man juggling, Alex laughed aloud from delight. Alonzo, having seen jugglers before, noticed the placard placed in front of the man. There was to be a full performance of traveling acts in the common green this even, just after sundown, admission being five pewters a person.

Alex, captivated, leaned toward Alonzo. "What is he doing?"

"It's called juggling, he is a juggler." Alonzo spared a few more moments only, then spoke gently. "We must leave now, Jade."

"Yes, Alonzo." The green eyes held acceptance, but also cast a last, lingering look at the performer.

A few more blocks, and Alonzo was leading them to the door of a large building. There was the ring of hammer on anvil from behind the building, and the smoke from many forge fires rising slowly in the chill air.

Dismounting, they tied their horses to the rail, and then Alonzo reached into his pocket, pulling out a long, thin chain lead. Alex tilted his head back obligingly, and when it was clicked to his collar, Alonzo gave a gentle tug, testing the pull.

"Put your hands behind your back and keep them there unless I tell you otherwise. If they become painful, you may kneel to let me know you need to adjust. Once we enter the door, you will be silent until directly ordered to speak."

"Yes, Alonzo."

"I wish this were not necessary, Jade." There was anger, old and resigned, in the dark eyes, and Alex couldn't stand the thought of Alonzo being upset.

"Alonzo, do you not stop feeling guilty, I shall tell the master that, freeman or not, he should spank you." It was whispered, for it was easily the boldest tease Alex had ever dared. The dark eyes grew large, and Alex wondered for a moment if he'd gone too far, but then the seneschal threw his head back and laughed loudly.

"Oh, very good, little one, very good! Exactly what I should have said in your place. You are quite right, it is a waste. It shall not happen again. If it does, then you have my full blessing to play the younger brother and tattle to our father." Alex blushed at this, and Alonzo reached out, kissing him briefly. "Now come, Jade. We've work to do."

"Yes, Master."

They entered the building and soon were stalking down rows of shelves, each burdened with all sorts of tools. There seemed to be a tool for every imaginable task, and Alonzo made countless purchases. Alonzo drew out a long list, and supplemented it with a check of Alex's memory. It was a great deal, and many of the tools were heavy. Alex was beginning to seriously worry that he would be unable to carry them all, when Alonzo handed the man a scrap of vellum.

"This is where I am staying. Have it delivered to the stableyards, in the morning, I have a wagon there."

"A pleasure."

The business concluded, Alonzo led a much relieved Alex back outside. He unfastened the lead, and they quickly rode to the next shop. It took until nearly nightfall for them to finish, but at last, they did so.

"That is the last of our business, Jade. We were most fortunate. And now, we have the rest of the evening and all of tomorrow day to spend for pleasure. And I know exactly how we shall spend this first portion of it."

Leading a surprised Alex back to the commons, Alonzo made sure that both of them had their money secured, and then led Alex to the entrance of a large tent that had been set up.

He paid for their admission, while Alex beamed at him, delighted. Once inside, they took a spot on the smooth wooden planks set up for seating.

"You may speak again, unless directed otherwise."

"Oh, Alonzo, thank you!" The words fairly burst out of Alex's mouth, and Alonzo laughed, rewarded by seeing the joy in his companion's face.

"You are most welcome, sweet. Are you hungry?"

"Yes, my lord."

A motion of his hand, and a man carrying a large basket approached.

"What have you for food?"

"We've finger pies, meat or fruit, a skewered supper, and sugared almonds. For drink there's ale or wine."

"Give me two of the skewered suppers, two of the fruit pies, one of the meat pies and one of the bags of almonds. Two ales."

The man motioned to another, and they both began to dig through their baskets. Two small, cheap skins of ale were produced, and the food, wrapped in the waxed vellum, emerged in short order.

"That'll be eighteen pewters, Sir."

Alonzo drew out a copper. "Keep the other two and watch for my signal."

"Aye, Sir, many thanks."

Alonzo unwrapped the skewers first. "Have you ever had a skewered supper, Jade?"

"No, my lord. What is it?"

"Nothing but a meal roasted on a single small spit, but a wooden one, that they may be disposed of without cost."

He drew out one, and Alex immediately understood. A small fowl of some sort, two small potatoes, peppers and onions, all well roasted. It smelled wonderful, and Alonzo pried the thigh joint tentatively. It gave easily, and the color within was white.

"Excellent. It is cooked through, and more than hot enough. It should be safe. Enjoy, Jade." They both paused for the minute, the habit simply too important, and then began to eat.

"Do you like it?"

"It's wonderful! And I was getting hungry."

"As was I. The onions are very sweet, they've been soaked in sugar syrup, I'll wager. Good touch, that."

At that moment, in the center of the tent, boys began lighting torches and soon, the show began.

xx

Alonzo enjoyed the show, it was better than average for this sort of thing. But the real treat of the evening was watching the man beside him.

Alex was enthralled. If he'd thought the juggler a wonder, nothing could have prepared him for a magician. The acrobats were tiny, well-hinged things, faces exotically shaped and painted. More jugglers, and dancers, too. The dancers held a good deal less attraction for Alex, and he chose this time to investigate a sugared almond.

Alonzo, guessing that the fact that these were half-dressed women moving seductively was responsible for Alex's sudden lack of interest, took advantage in the lull. Under cover of his cloak and the dark of the tent, he slid his hand along Alex's thigh, teasing the boy the way he himself had been teased earlier.

Alex squirmed but smiled, his eyes sparkling in the low light of the torches. Teeth came out to worry at a bottom lip, when Alonzo's fingers skimmed the front of Alex's trousers. The hips made a faint thrust, and Alonzo grinned as he heard Alex's whispered plea.

"Alonzo! My lord, we are in public!"

"So we are." Alonzo grinned at him, and cupped the beginning swell in his palm.

"Please, my lord!"

Alex stifled a groan, but not easily, as Alonzo brought the hand up, only to slip it within Alex's cloak, and brush across a nipple.

"Alonzo!" It was a whimper, and Alonzo, seeing the act ended, gave in.

"Very well, my sweet Jade. But you must sit close to me."

Alex, not sure if he was relieved or annoyed at the end of the teasing, scooted closer. Alonzo wrapped an arm around him, and they watched the trained dogs leaping through hoops. A balancing act followed, and a short, funny sketch about a priest and a bawdy house. Alonzo, noticing that Alex was now absently eating the meat pie, motioned for the server. He purchased another ale, and another of the sugared almonds.

There were two large poles set up in the middle of the tent, a rope stretched taut between them. A young man came out now and scampered up the pole before stepping lightly onto the rope. Two men waited below to catch him, should he fall. The boy walked the rope, sometimes going forward, sometimes back. When he made a leap, Alex gasped and reached out, taking Alonzo's hand. Alonzo smiled, knowing the slave wasn't aware of what he'd done.

Gods, but this little one was beautiful. Alex was glowing in the low light, eyes huge and alive, cheeks flushed slightly from laughing and from the ale. Alex's tongue came out, licking at the corner of his mouth, where a trace of sugar from the almonds had fallen. Alonzo watched it, feeling the heat rise up within him. He wished they were back at the inn already, wished he had this man naked and laid out before him.

Closing his eyes at the picture being shown vividly to his mind's eye, Alonzo willed his body to go back to neutral. Instead, Alonzo focused on the joy in the deep green eyes, on the sound of the laughter, rich and full and surprised, the little sounds of wonder and curiosity that Alex, spellbound, allowed to escape.

When the performance was ended, Alonzo found himself hugged tightly, before the other torches were lit.

"Thank you. That was amazing, I've never seen the like."

"You're welcome, my sweet Jade," Alonzo whispered, and stole a kiss before standing and stretching. "And now I would very much like to visit the room I paid so much for. Out, move." A light swat to his rear made Alex blush, but he grinned and obeyed. On the way out, Alex saw one of the performers holding a hat.

"You may, if you wish, drop a coin in the hat, a thank you for the performers." Alonzo offered this in a whisper, and when Alex reached for his purse, Alonzo stilled his hand. "No. I will give you the coin. You may give it back to me at the inn."

"Yes, Alonzo." Puzzled, Alex took the coin, and dropped it into the man's hat.

"Thank you, good sir." The man spoke to Alonzo, of course, for Alex's collar was easily seen.

"You did a good show, and the food was well prepared. It was worthy of reward." Alonzo came up and put a hand on Alex's shoulder. "Besides, I wished to reward my slave, and he had never seen such. I was pleased to be able to show him a quality performance."

"May I, Sir?" The man motioned to Alex, and Alonzo nodded. "And did you like it?"

Alex looked to Alonzo's face, and the encouraging nod let him relax. "Yes, Ma- Sir..." Trailing off, not knowing how to answer, Alex looked to Alonzo for help.

"Think of him as a merchant man, and title accordingly."

"Yes, Master. I thought it was wondrous, my lord."

The young man, smiling at Alex's sincere joy, risked another question. "And what was your favorite part?"

"The man that walked the rope." Indeed, that part had seemed to especially captivate Alex, drawing his complete focus and attention.

"Ah, yes, it's a favorite, that. Goodnight, good sir, and thanks again for your patronage."

"Most welcome. Come, Jade."

Alonzo led them out, and to their horses. They rode through the streets, still busy and bustling at this late hour. Oil lamps and candles and torches were everywhere, the entire city seeming to glow with a red-gold light. There were still merchants hawking their wares, and Alonzo paused them once.

"Wait here, please." Alex dutifully obeyed, and soon, Alonzo was back out, a small parcel in his hands. He stowed it with care in his saddle bags, patently ignoring Alex's curious look. Once they arrived at the inn, Alex carried in their bags, and followed Alonzo inside.

Alonzo paused them, and Alex stayed close. The main hall had filled up with the evening, and now there was quite the crowd in place.

The innkeeper, seeing Alonzo, made his way to them. "Yes, good sir?"

"I should like the bath readied in my rooms."

"At once, Sir."

"Very good." Alonzo went upstairs, Alex following behind, listening as the somewhat elderly man roused a few of the kitchen help, informing them the tower room was ready for the tub and water.

They climbed in silence, and once inside, Alonzo sighed with relief. Alex, feeling the chill in the room, moved to the fireplace, beginning to stoke the embers. Soon, he had a full blaze going. He was just finishing setting the heavier wood, when there was a knock at the door.

"Enter."

The door opened, and four stout lads, obviously pulled from the stables, brought in the largest tub Alex had ever seen. It was huge, a wide oblong of gleaming copper, very deep. Two girls spread an oilskin on the floor in front of the fireplace, and then a thick sheet of toweling, before nodding to the young men to set their burden down in the center of it.

"Excellent! Perfect." Alonzo looked very pleased indeed, and at his nod, a string of girls appeared on the steps, passing up filled buckets and passing down emptied ones. It was the only way to fill the huge vat efficiently, and Alex wondered at how they would keep so much water hot. He got his answer.

Alonzo checked the water level and made a motion for them to stop. A girl came in then with a large pan. In it were glowing coals, and pieces of brick heated until they whined. She opened a small door in the side of the tub, and slid the pan onto a low shelf inside it. It was lined with a thin layer of brick, and the pan fit perfectly inside it. Using small forge tongs, she picked up two pieces of brick, and dropped them into the water, before shutting the door to the shelf.

"Now I had not thought of that, I must confess. Brilliant." Alonzo looked very intrigued, and immediately felt about his bags until he found a piece of vellum and a charcoal stick. He quickly sketched the whole thing, and added rough measurements, before tossing the paper aside.

The girl was back now, and unloading a stack of toweling, as well as soap.

"Bring more candles, too, please. And the makings of the bed."

"At once, Sir." She curtseyed, and was soon back with a thick bundle. "Shall I set them, my lord?"

"Please."

She quickly fit them into sticks all about the room, many of them built into the walls.

"The bedroom, as well." Alonzo said it quietly, still studying the tub, with one eye. "Jade, find the oils and soaps we brought, please. And take my yellow bag into the bedroom."

Alex obeyed, and when he finished, the girl was standing by the door. Another girl was with her, the mattress between them, and Alex instinctively helped them carry it, and place it on the frame. They smiled their thanks, and Alonzo entered, watching as they made the bed. Soon it was done, and the first girl curtseyed and excused herself.

The other turned to Alonzo, asking politely, "Is there anything else you need, my lord?"

"Not at this time. Now, how many helped you with the water and the tub?"

"There were an even dozen of us, good sir. 'twas quite the number needed." Her face was pretty and flushed from her efforts, and the humor sparkled in her blue eyes, beneath her serving cap.

"So it was. And tell me, are you an honest miss?"

"I-I try to be a good Christian girl, Sir." Confusion and a hint of insult came into her voice, and Alonzo soothed her with a smile.

"Of course, you are. I but tease. Here, then. Take these, there is enough for one for each of you that helped. Coins are not forbidden, are they?"

"No, Sir. Only for rented slaves."

"And will you be allowed to keep that which you have earned?"

"Oh, yes, Sir. The master's a good man, he believes we do better, do we know a bit of pleasure from our labors."

"He is most wise. Then be a good lass and distribute these, and tell your master that this tub and your work have earned him another silver."

"Thank you, my lord. You're most kind." A deep curtsey, and she took her leave, smiling brightly.

Alonzo turned the key, locking the door behind him. Alex was still simply standing there, and the seneschal spoke gently. "You may speak, Jade. We are alone."

"That is the biggest tub I have ever seen! A grown man could rest full in it, two grown men!" The words were heavy with incredulity, and the green eyes nearly as wide as they had been for the juggler.

"That was rather the idea." Alonzo's amused, laconic rumble penetrated the slave's shock, and Alex looked up at him, his expression approaching scandalized. It was most amusing, but Alonzo only let his lips quirk.

"We're getting into that? Together? To bathe?"

Alonzo studied the incredulous features before him, and began to laugh. "Jade, you tell me that the cat, who is also a goddess, wishes to speak with me before we leave, and do not pause. Yet the thought of sharing hot water with me in an intimate manner is beyond your reckoning?"

Alex blushed. It was sort of silly, he supposed. After all, he'd planned on doing many, much more intimate things with this man, why should a simple bath shock him? He was drawn out of his thoughts by Alonzo's hand, cupping his face and tilting it up gently. The dark eyes examined him closely.

"I did not mean to mock you, Jade. If you are uncomfortable, you have but to say. We need not do this."

Alex turned his head, kissing the palm that caressed him, and then reached up, kissing the mouth that was firm with sincerity. "I know, Alonzo. And I did not feel mocked, honestly. It is not discomfort, only something that I had never considered. And you must admit, my lord, that tub is quite enough to shock anyone." Alex finished this statement with a grin, and Alonzo made an appreciative face, wagging one eyebrow with suggestion.

"Isn't it, though? Shall we try it out, then?"

"It will be another first. If not the last." Alex offered it demurely, and Alonzo pulled him closer.

"I like the sound of that. But here, let us see to business." Alonzo reached into a pocket, and pulled out a small key on a string, pinned to the pocket. Undoing it, Alonzo reached for the equally small lock on Alex's collar.

Alex was truly shocked this time, not merely surprised by an excess. "My lord, no!"

"What is wrong, Jade?"

"You cannot! It is forbidden. If you unlock this, and I run away, you will be guilty of accomplice! They will hang you!"

"Are you going to run away, Jade?" The carefully whispered question made Alex blanche, and he swallowed hard, closing his eyes. Oh, Goddess! He could, couldn't he? It was a huge city, and the river was right in the middle. For just a moment, despite everything, Alex considered it. He would not have to ever tell Moss and Sable anything, his secret would be safe. On the heels of this came the reason for that safety. He would never see them again. Never see Samstar Fields again. Never see home again. That cold, barren future leached the very air from his lungs, and he fought to gasp.

"No, Alonzo. I would not run away. Not ever. I would not leave my home, my life. Those that I love. It would kill me, Alonzo, to leave in such a manner, and in truth, I would rather be dead. No, the master may sell me, I may be given to another, his will I accept. But I could not ever choose to run away. "

Alonzo, having been silent as he watched the play of emotions race over Alex's face, now stayed silent, but drew the shaken figure into his arms, holding tightly. After a while, when he felt the slender chest breathing normally, he eased back. Without a word, he unfastened the lock and removed the collar, setting it on a nearby table. He then massaged the skin of Alex's throat, soothing the slight irritation from wearing the snug metal all day.

"Much better. The collar does not suit you, Jade, though you know how to wear it well."

The words were laden with meaning, and Alex reached out, pulling the man to him harshly almost. It was a desperate kiss, and Alex controlled every moment of it. Alonzo allowed it gladly, knowing the boy was fighting a very deep and personal battle, fighting it on many levels and fronts.

"One day, Alonzo. One day, I shall have earned my freedom price and I shall be a free man. On that day, I will send word to you. One word. My name, my true name, and you will speak it aloud in your keep, perhaps whisper it to the battlements, or shout it from your windows. I will care not, so long as you send word back, that it has been spoken, by your lips."

It was Alonzo's turn to tremble now, and he made no effort to hide his eyes, and thus, his heart. "I will speak it thrice, for seven days, and know it for a holy thing."

Alex reached for the older man again, claiming his mouth gently this time, parting the lips with their hint of quiver, one hand tangling in the waving salt and pepper locks. It was only when the kiss changed, as did the response to it, that Alex released him.

"Jade, will you grant me a favor?"

"If it is within my power to do so, Alonzo, I shall."

"For tonight, I wish you to forget."

"Forget what, my lord?"

"That. Forget that I am your lord, that I am a master, that you are a slave, my slave for the night. Forget all of it, just for tonight. I would have you be who and what you are inside, not what you have been made. Please, my sweet? I have no need of a slave. It is my lover I seek, and he is my equal, in all things."

Alex, not daring to trust his tongue, stared into those black depths, lost in the need of the other man, the need that was so terribly focused on him. Alex nodded, and Alonzo closed his eyes, a sigh of relief overcoming him.

"Thank you, Jade. Thank you so very much."

"You are most welcome. But now, come. Our water cools, and if I am going to drown in an inn, I should at least like the water hot." A sniffle showed this to be Alex's way of getting them past the emotion that threatened to undo them both, and Alonzo, sniffling himself, managed a grin.

"If you will allow me?" So saying, he reached a hand to Alex's top button.

"If it pleases you." Alex was learning that while Alonzo was no man's slave, the seneschal enjoyed doing these small tasks for him. It was like brushing his hair earlier, Alex had enjoyed it, but Alonzo had enjoyed it much more, as though he took pleasure in seeing to Alex's most simple needs.

Alonzo unfastened a button, and then leaned forward, kissing the bit of skin exposed. The next button revealed more skin, and the dark hair trailed lightly over Alex's chest, as the lips sought to taste all of it.

Alex made a low hum of pleasure. He was sleepy and warm and Alonzo's lips were making him shiver with feeling. Half closing his eyes, Alex let his head fall back. Immediately, Alonzo's mouth was there, closing gently on the column of flesh with his teeth, soothing the mild sting with his tongue, and repeating the process a scant inch below the site of the first faint bite.

"I should love to draw on the skin here, my sweet Jade."

"Then do so."

"It would mark you."

Alex let his head tilt forward, looking Alonzo directly in the face. "I have seen many freemen wear the marks of passion. I have never been marked so, but I would know that feeling, of being claimed in love and affection. Do it."

Without another word, but with a surety, Alonzo began nuzzling Alex again, carefully building the passion back up. When the moment was right, Alonzo caught the flesh, holding it firmly, and sucking deeply at the tender junction of neck and shoulder.

Alex gave a small cry, the feelings sharp, but so very pleasant. Alonzo released his hold, rasping his tongue across the small bruise, eyeing it with pride.

"Lovely. Simply lovely."

"Your own throat would look good, so adorned."

Alonzo simply tilted his head back, making himself vulnerable to Alex.

"I have never done this."

"Then it will be another first." Alonzo's voice was smooth, and Alex reached out, then stopped, and shook his head.

"It will show tomorrow."

"I care not." Alonzo's eyes blazed, and Alex gave in, drawing the man to him and leaving his own mark on the skin. Looking at it, at his touch on another's skin, the evidence for all the world to see that he had touched this man, held him, kissed him, moved him to passion, made Alex's heart hammer in his chest. Alex shuddered, and closed his eyes. Alonzo was just about to apologize for insisting, when those eyes flashed back open, and his breath caught.

Alex's eyes were like emeralds, all green fire, and the mouth was curving into a grin that could only be called wicked, despite the purely lustful intent of the evil.

"Mine. For tonight, you are mine, and I am yours. We belong to no one but ourselves, and each other."

Alonzo, the desire a sharp flood, could only nod. Alex's face softened, and with no trace of shyness, he reached for Alonzo's shirt, drawing it up and over the man's head. His own shirt he threw off, and then he began to work on the fastens of Alonzo's pants. The seneschal, some measure of control restored now, returned the favor, and soon, both men were toeing off their boots and standing before each other, nude and erect.

Alonzo drank in the sight, and Alex let his own gaze wander slowly, wanting to memorize this first moment alone with a man of his own choosing. His lover, naked and waiting for him. It was a heady sensation, and when Alonzo reached out, taking his hand and drawing him toward the waiting water, Alex followed easily.

Alonzo used the tongs to remove the bricks, and then poured a bit of oil from the small jar he'd brought with him. A lovely, soothing scent reached Alex, not too strong, but clean and fresh, with a faint tinge of floral underneath. It was powerful if light, and seemed healing as well, a perfect balance between strength and delicacy.

"Fitz created that for you, didn't he?" Alex asked with a hint of a smile.

"Yes. How did you know?"

"Because it is just like you. He does that, sums up a person in a scent."

"Even Sable's roses?"

Alex chuckled, but nodded. "Yes. Even Sable's roses. They're strong, deep roots, and solid stems, well guarded by thorns, plenty of leaves for food. And once all of that has been seen to, then the plant spares some energy and space for blooming. And the blooms are so simple, just one petal folded atop another, the color a simple red. But within that strength and simplicity lies unexpected softness, and a pervasive perfume that can be singled out amongst so many others."

Alonzo was looking at him thoughtfully, and Alex ducked his head slightly.

"No, do not be embarrassed. It was lovely. You have the touch of the poet, Jade. It would not surprise me, once you grow at ease with your quill, did you try your hand at verse."

Alex bit at his lip. "That has never occurred to me, Alonzo. I love reading, but I have never thought to the other side, to the creation of the words."

"You could start simply enough. An ode to me." Alonzo's face dared Alex to laugh, and Alex nodded with a false solemnity.

"I could do that. I did have a sonnet in mind, something about dark locks, and eyes like the moonless night."

Alonzo, knowing there was a catch, played along. "That sounds promising."

"Yes, but should I read it to Jessopa myself or have Sable do it? I wouldn't want to appear vain."

The silence stretched only a moment more, then both men began to laugh.

"The point to you, Jade. And now, let us see just how deep this tub is, and how hot the water."

Alonzo stepped in, making a soft sound of appreciation. When he was settled in the tub fully, he gave a moan of pure delight.

"Oh gods, Jade, it is heaven! Come, enter, enter." Squaring his shoulders, Alex carefully placed first one foot, and then the other into the very hot water. Slowly, he began to sit down, feeling the warmth steal up him quickly. A light sheen of sweat broke out, but once he was seated, back to one end of the tub, facing Alonzo, Alex had to admit it felt good.

"Well?"

"I would not quite say heaven, Alonzo, but it is very nice, indeed." Alex gave a sigh, relaxing into the experience. Both men rested for a bit, eyes closed, head leaning over the edge of the tub.

"Jade?"

"Mmm?"

Alonzo smiled at the response, knowing that the slave was making a sincere effort to just be his friend and companion for the night, carefully putting away titles and rules.

"I would like to wash your hair. May I?"

Alex looked up, smiling. "If you kiss me first. And during. And after."

"It's a steep price, but I shall meet it." Alex turned in the tub, moving so that he had his back to Alonzo, sitting between those sturdy legs. Tipping his head back, Alex was kissed, then felt strong fingers card through his hair before shampooing carefully. It was a lovely feeling, even better than having his hair brushed, and Alex relaxed further still.

"That feels wonderful, Alonzo."

"I am glad you think so. I like it." "You seem to like many things of this type." Alex offered it without judgement, and Alonzo leaned around, granting the man the during kiss.

"True. I never enjoyed such as a slave, and I do not have my own slaves serve me in this manner. But when I have a lover, I enjoy spoiling that person, taking care of them in the most basic of ways. I enjoy feeding them, bathing them, tending their hair. It gives me a feeling of closeness, there is an intimacy to it that transcends the sexual. It is so plainly affectionate. I suppose that is the appeal for me. I've known many sexual touches, but those with genuine affection behind them are rare. It makes it special for me."

"It feels special, to me. I haven't had such done for me since I was a babe, save when I first arrived at Samstar, and was ill. But then being bathed by Sable was much like being groomed. It lacked this feeling, this closeness that your touch brings."

"He was likely trying to spare you that feeling, Jade. Rest assured, once you are his lover, a bath from Sable will no longer bear any resemblance to being groomed."

"Does it bother you? Hurt you? To know that I go to them?" Alex hadn't meant to ask, but the words could be put aside no longer.

"No. I am glad, Jade, that you will have someone, two someones, so very special. You deserve them, Jade, you are more than worthy of them and their company. They may have loved longer, but they do not love each other more than they love you. I know Lord Fox very well, Jade, and I tell you that your place in his heart is beyond secure."

Alex reached back and over, giving the seneschal a backward hug. Alonzo hugged back, savoring the feel of Alex's nude torso against his own.

"But I digress. You asked if it hurt me, and I have said no, but that is not the complete truth. It is the main truth, but not truth in its entirety."

Alonzo paused, picking up a small cloth and the jar of soap curds. He lathered well, and began washing Alex's face with great care, tracing the sculpture of Alex's face, appreciating the faint tips to the ears, a marker of his fairy blood.

"There is a part of me that wishes I could be the one for you. You are everything anyone could want in a lover, Jade. I could be very happy with you, and for quite a long time." Here he paused, rinsing with even more care, before moving to Alex's neck and shoulders. "But not forever. It would not work, and I know this. If you were not in love with the master and Sable, then perhaps, it would be worth the eventual heartbreak. But you are in love with them, and so I have not let myself think of a future beyond a few weeks. And they will be a few weeks I will never regret, Jade. But just as you enjoy me and my attentions, so do I enjoy you. I like what we have, I would not ask for more, when there is no more to be had. Do I love you? Yes. You have left a mark on my soul that far surpasses the one on my neck."

Alex, having half turned so that he could see Alonzo, reached out, tracing the shape with one hand, but did not interrupt.

"Am I in love with you? Only a little, Jade. Only a little." Alonzo's voice failed him at the end, and Alex reached out, drawing the man to him.

The embrace was for comfort only, and after a moment, Alex eased back. "It is my turn. Lean back."

Alex moved and Alonzo obediently lowered his head. Taking some of the soap, Alex lathered it in his hands, then began massaging it into Alonzo's scalp. He made every effort to bring the same pleasure he'd been given, and judging by Alonzo's sounds, he was succeeding.

"Alonzo, I would have you know, were it not for the master and Sable, I should be more than happy to give you my heart, as much of it as I could. It would be good between us. Not perfect, and never the depth of what I have with the other two, but very good, nonetheless. I feel so much for you, Alonzo, so many things, love among them. I will always feel my heart quicken at your mention. I have no regrets, Alonzo, only thankfulness. When I am with you, I feel the most a man I ever have. When I am with you, I feel unbroken, as though I am already freed."

Alonzo could not hold back the tears at this, did not even try, merely let them slip from underneath his closed lids, to mix with their bathwater. "You could say nothing to give me greater joy."

The words were choked out, and again, Alex took the older man into his arms, touching him first with reassurance, and then, with need. An embrace turned into a caress, and soon their mouths were exploring each other, tongues tasting and hands sliding easily over soap slick skin.

"Goddess, Alonzo!" The words were a hungry pant, and the seneschal's breath was equally rough.

"What do you want, Jade?"

"You. More. You." It was all the words Alex had to describe his state, it was too new for him to know any others.

Alonzo stood, and stepped from the tub, holding a hand out to Alex. It was taken, and after drying them off quickly, amongst touches and kisses, never letting the interest lag, Alonzo began drawing him to the bedroom.

"Wait!"

Alonzo stopped at once, concerned, but Alex only ran to his bags, digging through until he found the small cloth bag he sought. "What is that?" Alonzo motioned with his head, and Alex looked up, suddenly shy and a touch unsure, but not hesitant.

"Lambskins. And ointment. I bought them from Fitz, yesterday."

Alonzo was quiet, and Alex felt a moment of fear that he had assumed too much, but then the man only smiled softly at him.

"You are incredible, Jade. Had I demanded proof of your consent and the motive for it, this would have sufficed. Well, since you have already spent the coin, we had best make the most of your purchase. Are you ready to make love, Jade? To know what it is like to share a bed and a body and a need? To touch and be touched, without pain?"

"Yes. I want that, Alonzo. I need it, and I'm ready."

"I think, perhaps, you are." A soft, very, very soft kiss, and Alonzo took his hand, leading him to the bedroom. Alonzo lay back on the bed, and Alex followed him up onto it, heart racing, but with anticipation. Fitz had shown him there need be no pain, and Alonzo was a patient lover, this Alex already knew. Nothing bad would happen in this bed.

Alonzo, sensing these thoughts, reading Alex's green gaze with years of experience at judging what lay behind a man's eyes, reached for the cloth bag.

Taking out the tin, Alonzo set it on the table by the bed, opened. The skins he placed there also, unopened, not wishing them to dry. And then he began by simply kissing Alex again. Although there was nothing simple about a kiss from Alex.

Alonzo leaned over him slightly, mapping his way down the strong body, delighting in the little gasps and jerks of the muscles as he touched them, toying and teasing his way to where Alex's cock stood, flushed and anxious.

"Jade, I would taste you."

"Please!" Alex nodded, his original ambivalence fled in the thought of Alonzo's hot tongue rubbing across his glans.

Alonzo took the erect penis in his hands lightly, forearms very gently pressing on the slender hips to keep them in place. Starting at the base, Alonzo ran his tongue in a broad swipe up the length, stopping just below the crown.

Alex made a whimpering sound, and his hands were fists in the covers. "Oh, yes, oh please, Alonzo, do that again!"

"Shhh, easy. Easy, little one. You will be satisfied, my word." Alex fought himself back into control, only to have that control whittled away with each resulting lick of Alonzo's tongue. Always the man stopped just below the head, and now Alex made a sound of frustration.

It was the signal Alonzo had been waiting for, and he swirled his tongue around the very top of the head, all about the tiny slit.

"Oh, Christ!"

Alonzo, thinking idly that he'd never caused a man to switch religions before, grinned unseen, and then took the entire head into his mouth. Alex bucked hard, but the muscles above him were strong and braced. Alonzo proceeded to make love to the organ with every fiber of his being. He catalogued Alex's every sound, every gasp, learning the strokes that brought extra pleasure, the places where sensitivity seemed strongest, and using that knowledge to his best advantage.

It wasn't long before Alonzo noticed the shift in the tenor of the voice, the urgency of the cries, the increase in the bucking hips. Taking a deep breath, Alonzo took the entire length into his throat, hearing Alex's final, very loud cry before feeling the hot pulse, the shocks running through the overheated flesh. Swallowing, easing back to release the now spent organ, licking gently to savor the taste and prolong the pleasure, Alonzo moved up, lying beside the shaking form. Alex curled weakly into his embrace, body still thrumming with sensation.

"See? I meant it, when I said you would be satisfied."

"Alonzo, that was...I didn't know...I..."

Smiling indulgently at the overwhelmed young man beside him, Alonzo shushed him gently with a kiss. "Now, save your words. This was just the beginning attraction. The main act has yet to follow."

Alex, his newly functioning organ already showing signs of life at the thought, gave a short laugh. "If that is true then I shall not live the night, for anything better would kill me."

Alonzo kissed his forehead, amused. "While I thank you for the compliment, I think it likely that you shall see the dawn. I, on the other hand, have no such guarantees."

That was when Alex realized that Alonzo was still mostly erect, and untouched. Leaning up on an elbow, Alex began kissing the older man, feeling Alonzo's body respond to his touch. It encouraged him, and he was soon lost in his explorations, fascinated by the reactions to his fingers and tongue. A slight nip to one tight little nipple brought a gasp that changed to a groan when Alex calmed the skin with his tongue. When that same tongue found the hardened flesh of his groin, Alonzo moaned, loud and long. Finally, the seneschal could stand no more.

"Enough, sweet, only stop a moment, for I can wait no longer to have you."

Alex let the wide head slip from his lips, climbing back up to look into the older man's face. The eyes were huge and black, and positively on fire with desire. It should have frightened him, and he was a bit nervous, but in truth, Alex savored the look. This man didn't want to use him. This man simply wanted him.

"I am ready, Alonzo."

Smiling, one hand cupping Alex's face, Alonzo reached to the bedside table. "Fitz spoke with you at length, did he not, of preparation? Of being opened slowly, and with plenty of ointment, before being taken?"

"He did. I understand what will happen."

"Good. For I am most anxious to feel you within me, Jade." So saying, the older man lay back, spreading his legs wide, and bending one knee to open himself better for Alex. Holding out the tin, he asked, "Please, Jade? Take me?"

The voice was slightly shy, and full of want and need, and it combined with the words to render Alex absolutely frozen.

"Jade?" The question was coated with concern, and the slightly worried tone brought Alex back to himself.

"Y-you wish me to-to..."

"I wish you to enter me, yes." Alonzo spoke quietly, nearly a whisper, sensing that Alex wasn't upset, merely confused. He'd expected as much, but had needed to see for himself how Alex would respond to the imminent prospect of being breached. The reaction reassured him, but it was still too soon, Alonzo knew this, even if his younger lover didn't feel it so.

"I've never, I don't...Alonzo, why?" The last was said with a faint whine of hurt in the bewilderment, and Alonzo sat up, taking Alex's hands, and looking into his eyes.

"Sweet Jade, think you I should not want it?"

"But I don't want to hurt you." The phrase alone told Alonzo he'd been right, and he took Alex into his arms.

"You shall not, Jade. If you do as Fitz says, and as I say, then there will be no pain. You were willing to take, but you cannot give, because you fear pain? What does that tell you, Jade?"

"That I am not ready, not yet. That despite the fact that I want you, and want to give myself to you, I still fear the act." The words were a shamed mumble, and Alonzo held him tighter.

"And with good reason, based on your past. Jade, I had no intention of taking you tonight. I knew you would not be ready, could not be, it is still too soon for you. You are not yet healed within your soul enough."

"Why did you not say such?"

"Simply put, I was afraid. Afraid that you would only hear that I would not take you, and be hurt by the fact. Afraid to try and convince you, because I thought that you wouldn't have believed that you were not ready."

Alex knew the man was right, and had been right in how he'd done things. But he was still a bit upset. "You must think me a fool."

"No." The word was firm, but not harsh. Still, it brought Alex's eyes up. "You are not a fool, Jade, and I do not think you one. I think you a wonderful, caring, loving young man, that has worked hard to overcome much. If you misjudged your readiness, that is tribute to your passion and your bravery, and is nothing to be ashamed of, not in the least."

Reassured somewhat, Alex nodded, accepting the words. After many more moments spent holding, he drew back, looking at Alonzo intently. There was a glimmer of mischief in his eyes, and Alonzo prepared himself for something, though he knew not what.

"Am I your equal, for the night?"

"I have agreed to such, yes."

"Then I have all the rights any free lover of yours would have?"

"Yes." Unsure where this was going, Alonzo was unprepared for a pout to appear on the lovely mouth, or the sulky tone of the words that came out of it.

"Then I am going to tell you that you are a very mean man for tricking me. And I'm mad at you." This tiny tirade was accompanied by Alex crossing his arms over his chest and turning his nose up into the air.

Alonzo couldn't help it. He burst out laughing, the fake tantrum the perfect way to clear the air between them. Alex, too, was fighting not to laugh. He'd never dared act so before, though he'd seen his fair share of tantrums over the years. He watched unrepentantly as Alonzo struggled to regain his composure.

"Brat!" Alonzo reached out, tickling Alex, even as he bore him down to the mattress. Alonzo rejoiced in the sound of the easy laughter, grateful the night hadn't been ruined. Eventually, he slowed his fingers, no longer tickling, merely stroking. Alex, eyes full of his very real care and affection for Alonzo, reached up, pulling the dark head down to his own.

The kisses were slow, unhurried and sweet, deeply sweet, and every touch a lingering fire. Alex began to shift under Alonzo's weight, his hands stroking the seneschal's hips, and then, tentatively, his rear. When Alex's fingers dipped lightly into his cleft, Alonzo gave a soft moan, closing his eyes with the sensation.

"Yes, my Jade, touch me so." The words were a husky mumble, but Alex heard them clearly. Rolling them, Alex moved to lie atop Alonzo, kissing his way down the body as before. This time, before he took the organ into his mouth, Alex dipped his fingers into the ointment.

Alonzo nodded, panting his approval, as Alex began to draw on the hardened flesh, even he as slid one tentative finger down, as Fitz had instructed, and began circling the pucker.

"By the gods, Jade, that feels wonderful!" Alonzo had his hands tangled slightly in Alex's hair, the silky strands teasing his stomach, sliding around his thighs. A few more deep suckles, and Alex was sliding the fingertip inside. He tensed, waiting for Alonzo to react with discomfort, but there was none, only a whispered plea for more.

Alex followed Fitz's instructions to the letter, knowing the healer had meant to warn Alex of each step done to him, but they worked the other way as well, and now, with Alonzo thrusting up to meet three fingers, Alex knew it was time.

"Yes, please, Jade, please! I am ready, I am more than ready!"

Alex kissed him with promise, as he tried to open the skins. His hands were shaking slightly, and Alonzo took the pack from him and opened it, then retrieved a single skin, before closing the rest back up tightly. Together, they put it on Alex, tying it on just snugly enough.

"Now, Jade." Alex nodded, and with one hand, still unable to believe what he was about to do, positioned himself at Alonzo's entrance. Slowly, too slowly for Alonzo, who was biting his lip to keep from thrusting up, Alex sheathed himself. When his groin was touching Alonzo's, he stopped, staring down at their joined bodies in awe.

"I'm within you." It was a whisper, no more, and Alex felt his heart clench as he said it.

"Yes. And there is no pain, no hurt, only pleasure and happiness, Jade." Alex, seeing that it was so, took a deep breath, feeling his entire body quiver from the effort. Now that he knew that Alonzo was fine, Alex allowed himself to feel the tight glove of flesh around him.

He groaned, and Alonzo, unable to resist any longer, gave a small buck of his hips. The groan was louder now, and Alonzo's hands reached up, seeking Alex's chest and toying with the hardened pebbles he found there.

"Ease back, and then in again, Jade." Alonzo's voice was barely above a whisper, but the words seemed loud to Alex, compelling him to do so. A very slow, very gentle thrust, and Alex felt a bittersweet ache begin within him.

"Oh, goddess, Alonzo! I am dying."

"Then we perish together, little one, and happily will I go." A few more, and Alonzo could hold back his needs no more. Taking hold of Alex's hips, he gave a quick, hard snap of his own, and Alex responded with another, before stopping completely.

"That did not hurt?"

"Nay, Jade. There is no hurt. It is safe, Jade. You are safe and though I lie beneath you, riven with your flesh, I am safe. Safe, Jade. What we do here is safe. There is no pain, my sweet. None. You may thrust and thrust hard. In truth, I should like it very much should you do so. I should like it if we continue on in leisure and gentleness. And do you know why, Jade?"

"Why?" Alex's face was only inches above the other man's and it was easy for Alonzo to reach up, kissing the worried brow.

"Because I want only to make love to you. And that is not about technique nor speed nor strength. It is only about caring. Sharing our bodies, to share our souls. I wish to be close to you, Jade. I wish to know you, and offer myself for the knowing. And so if we do no more than lie here, the rest of the even, I shall be contented."

Alonzo waited until he was sure Alex believed him, then continued with a hint of affectionate tease.

"Of course, should your desire lead you to ravage my form, I should be equally contented." The stern mouth parted in a rare, full smile, and nothing could have convinced Alex the way that simple gesture did.

"You will tell me, do I hurt you?"

Alonzo heard the honest plea in the words. "I shall, my word on it."

"Then I shall follow my heart and my instincts, Alonzo, and stop only do you say so explicitly."

Thus agreed, Alex lowered his head to worry at Alonzo's neck and collarbone, while beginning a slow, shallow thrusting. It was good, very good, and Alonzo resigned himself happily to a quiet, yet poignant stroking. For several long minutes, there was only the pleasure of being taken by this man, of seeing the dark green eyes flicker in the candlelight, of feeling Alex around and about him.

Then there was a subtle change. Subtle, at first. Shifting the angle slightly, Alex began bumping that inner spot, and Alonzo's movements lost some of their smooth grace.

"That place within you, it feels more?" Fitz had told Alex of it, but now, Alonzo's face was showing him proof.

"Aye, Jade, it does indeed...oh gods, Jade, yes!"

Alex felt that same bittersweetness begin to sharpen, fingers turning to the bite of nails, and he quickened his pace, trying to outrun it, or to catch it, he wasn't sure which. Alonzo, no longer trying to remain placid, was giving with equal vigor and reached down, stroking his organ as well.

The sight was enough to let Alex find the middle of that keening hunger, and he began to move hard and fast, thrusting deeply within Alonzo.

"Yes, Jade, yes!" Alex, eyes half-closing, watched as Alonzo's hand pumped in counter-rhythm, and the nearly purpled head seemed to swell even farther, before the seneschal was suddenly spilling, shaking and writhing beneath him, his cries loud and deep.

Alex, already on the edge, felt the muscles around him begin to clench, drawing and pressing on his cock. The flesh seemed to be burning within its sleeve of oil and skin, and when Alonzo bucked up a final time, it let the fire erupt.

Arching, his head thrown back, his eyes closed tightly, and every muscle contorting, Alex found his first release with another. His sounds rang of wonder and hunger, only just awakened, only just fulfilled. He pulsed, feeling the tide of his own essence rising within the lambskin.

Gasping, suddenly weak, Alex managed to withdraw before collapsing onto Alonzo. The older man, knowing Alex would be overwhelmed, reached out, drawing off the membrane and disposing of it, before reaching out to the bedside and making use of the cloth and washbasin there. Alonzo tenderly bathed the quivering flesh of his new lover, cleaned himself briefly, then lay back down beside Alex, drawing the covers up over them as he did so.

Alex, still gasping, felt the warm arms come around him in an embrace, and summoned the energy to move closer, laying his head on the warm chest with its still rapidly beating heart.

It took Alex quite a while to notice that he was weeping. It took him even longer to figure out why.

This was what was meant to be, what the body was created for. Everything that had ever been done to him before, every rape, every touch, every forced caress and false affection, was suddenly twice the abomination it had been previously; because now, now Alex knew how it was supposed to be, to feel. For the first time, Alex truly knew the difference between sex and rape, and he grieved for his innocence, so long lost, for that part of him that had thought them the same.

He'd looked at married women, pitied them their own bindings of servitude, the closest Alex had ever come to thinking of them as human. Wives he'd always pitied, for not only must they endure rape, but they had to push a babe forth, after the act.

Now, now Alex understood why they would blush and sigh, why they would lay a hand upon their swollen bellies with pride. And now, more than ever before in his entire slavery, he could not understand how anyone could do to him, what had been done repeatedly.

Alonzo said nothing, merely held the young slave as he sobbed, silently at first, then in great, choking sobs. Alonzo said nothing, for there was nothing to say, no reason to give, no excuse to be made. He could offer the boy nothing, just as his own first lover had been unable to offer him anything except a strong shoulder and genuine understanding. Sable had ever been good giving comfort without words. And just as Alonzo had done with Sable, so many years ago, now Alex quieted, falling asleep with tears still wet on his lashes. Alonzo tucked them in warmly, and held the boy closer.

xx

Miles away, Sable was again using his body to bring comfort without words. It had been a difficult day, full of petty annoyances and one item of business after the other. The master had been working since dawn, stopping to eat only when Sable refused to eat until he did. Lord Fox had shot the man a foul look, his temper, as always, strained by the end of the year paperwork. Still, Fox had rung for two plates, and as soon as they arrived, he'd thrust the other plate into Sable's hands.

"Now eat!" The order was curt, but Sable only picked up his fork, and took a bite. Lord Fox chewed mechanically, staring into the fire and duly clearing the plate and draining his cup. He then slammed both of them onto the floor, and went back to work without a word.

Sable, stung but understanding the pressure his master and lover was under, finished his own meal, though it might as well have been vellum, and then cleaned the floor, sweeping up the broken pieces of clay and cracked wood, and wiping up the tiny splotches of food.

When he finished, he spoke softly, "Master, by your leave, I would return to my work in the stables."

"Granted." The tone was harsh, uncaring, and for just a second, Sable thought of Lord William. He actually, physically shook his head, banishing the thought and the image. The master's work was never easy, and at the end of the year, all the court papers and slave holdings had to be accounted for. Word had come just that morning that the royal tax assayer would be arriving in less than a week, nearly a half month early. Even had he not been coming early, Lord Fox always worked himself nearly to death those last days, wanting to be sure that nothing was amiss, that there could be no fault found, no reason to investigate or do worse to his beloved Samstar Fields.

Sable, knowing it was only Lord Fox's deep fears for them all, and his need to keep them safe that made him react so, had slipped from the room without another word, and headed for the stables.

Hours later, when the even meal was called, he watched as Lord Fox came to table.

After the moment of silence and the announcements, Fox turned to Sable. His eyes were pale and sparkled with regret.

"I'm sorry, my love. Very sorry." Fox took Sable's hand, kissing it reverently, before ducking his head like a schoolboy waiting to be scolded.

"No apology is necessary, Master. We all know how important this time is, and the fact that they come sooner than expected is upsetting, and makes it that much more difficult for you. I took no offense, it was the situation that vexed you, not me."

"That makes it worse, Sable. You're not just my slave anymore, though that is no excuse either, you're my lover, too. You should be quite cross with me. I deserve your anger." The master looked so sad, that Sable had to say something.

"You deserve a rightly done spanking." Sable had looked around, ensuring they wouldn't be overheard, and now those hazel eyes did the same, even as Fox's face flushed. "But since you have to be tied to that damn desk for the rest of the week, it would be better were you able to sit comfortably."

The brown eyes were warm and kind, faintly teasing, and Fox couldn't resist a crooked grin. This was an empty threat and they both knew it. Even though they were lovers, Sable was still a slave and could not raise his hand to the master, even should they both want it. There was no room in the law for chancing such. Still, it was a good scold, and let Fox know his behavior hadn't been ignored, but was still forgiven.

"Thank you, my love."

"You're most welcome."

"I should still like to make an amends of some sort, though I can't think what."

"Leave that to me. I'll come by your bedroom tonight, after the reading."

Fox looked faintly suspicious, but pleased as well. "I'll wait you eagerly. And now," here he sighed, looking down at his plate, "I must eat and return to work. Especially if I am to be free tonight."

A last squeeze to the hand he was still holding, and Fox quickly ate his meal and cleared his plate, before heading back upstairs. Sable, taking a bit longer in hopes of actually digesting this meal, went over what he would need for later.

The evening passed, and after the reading, Fox headed for his bedchamber, with Sable following soon after. A knock on the door, and the master let him in, an almost shy smile in place, though he was bold enough to claim a kiss as Sable passed.

Once the door was shut, Fox spoke softly. "I'm ready to make my amends. What shall I do?"

"Take off your clothes, and lie down on the bed."

One elegant eyebrow rose, but Fox obeyed. He lay down on his back, but Sable approached the bed, a small vial in hand, shaking his head.

"On your stomach, please, Moss."

The younger man obeyed again, though with a bit more hesitation. Sable had removed only his boots, and now he got on the bed, straddling the lean hips, just at the small of the back.

"Sable, whatŠ?"

"You're as taut as a lute string. I mean to give you a massage."

"But this is supposed to be my amends to you!" Fox turned his torso half way up, looking over his shoulder at Sable. The stabler gave him a firm look, and reached forward, sweeping one arm out from under the man, which in turn, immediately landed him back on his stomach, face first into the mattress.

"You are, Moss, by letting me do this for you without having to beg, or worse, pout to get my way."

"Are you admitting that you pout?" Fox, bound by his own word, had given in, and was now resigned enough to tease.

"Only on occasion. Not like you."

"I do not pout." This was said with much indignation, however false. Sable, drizzling oil from the vial onto the back underneath him, only snorted, then began to chuckle.

"Jade said that Moss was easily twice the brat he was." Fox, too busy being equal parts proud and amused, forgot to protest. Instead he moaned quietly as the strong fingers began to ease the knots of tension and stress.

"Oh, Sable, that's fantastic! Ooh, there, lower, yeah..."

"Hush, Moss. I know where it hurts you. Now, please, just close your eyes and try to rest."

"You're bossy, you know that?"

"Moss!" It was a low growl of warning, and comforted Fox nearly as much as the blunt fingers soothing his neck.

He subsided, accepting the comfort of Sable's weight, his sure touch, his solid presence. Without another word, Fox let himself go into the touch, and soon, was fast asleep, his mind exhausted and taking his body with it. Sable, moving carefully, hastily stripped and stretched out beside him, covered them both, and sought his own sleep. Morning would bring another day of frayed temper, childish petulance and tantrums. Smiling down at his sleeping lover, Sable knew it was a small price to pay for such love and devotion, not just to him, but to every slave on the property, and even beyond. If a god threw a thunderbolt, did you worship them any less if it struck a tree that they had created in the first place? No, Moss would get up in the morning and fret and worry and rail, and Sable would be there again to take his anger, his frustration, his fear. After all, it was no more than the master had done for him, so many years before.

Kissing the slumbering form, careful not to disturb that slumber, Sable sighed, content for the next day and the trouble it would bring.

xx

The dawn brought thoughts of a different nature to Alonzo.

He had awakened to the delightful sensation of Alex asleep next to him, the slave's head resting on his shoulder still, though now facing away. One hand was curled under the pillow, the other held firmly to Alonzo's arm about his waist. The legs were tangled with his own, and Alonzo could feel Alex's naked rear against his groin.

Ignoring the tracings of desire from this, Alonzo contented himself with just holding the young man. The body was lovely in shape and form, the skin sleep warm and soft. The hair hung free, pooling around Alex's shoulders and neck. It reached just to the tops of the man's shoulder blades, a very dark chestnut, bordering on black, and growing darker all the time, so Alonzo gathered from idle conversation. Doubtless the initial reddish cast was caused by malnourishment, and poor health. Soon it would likely match Alex's eyebrows and lashes, a thick, rich black color.

Those lashes... Alonzo sighed, and Alex stirred slightly, turning in his sleep, nestling closer to Alonzo's chest, draping a solid thigh across his hips. Alonzo grinned, arm now free to lightly caress his lover's back, to trace the face and line of the chest, to palm ever so lightly one sleepy nipple.

Alex made a tiny noise, and held more tightly.

Gods, the boy was responsive. It was amazing to Alonzo that Alex could have gone through so much, and still be able to come to this point. Thoughts of what Alex had gone through led Alonzo to thoughts of Alex's past, and his new knowledge. He'd given his word, six months before he would investigate, six months before he could even think of telling Lord Fox. Six months to figure out a way to remove Alex from that demon's possession once and for all.

Closing his eyes, Alonzo took a calming breath, and let the ugly and the bad out on the exhale. Not now. No, he would not spoil this morning. It was a beautiful day, he had a beautiful young man asleep naked in his bed, and he would give and receive every pleasure allowable while he had the chance.

He opened his eyes, and found that Alex was awakening. The lashes fluttered, and then green eyes were opening to his own.

Alonzo watched as happiness, insecurity and remembrance of the night before, all warred with need to take dominance in the verdant pools. Wishing to help, Alonzo gave him a small hint of a smile, letting his own delight in their situation show itself.

"Good morn, Jade."

Alex closed his eyes at the husky whisper, and held more tightly to the body within his arms. He'd awakened gradually, the warm solidity around him a pure comfort. Alex had felt safe, content, body still aware of the great pleasure it had known the night before.

"How do you feel, little one?" Alonzo, a touch concerned by the closed eyes, brought a palm up to caress Alex's cheek, the thumb dropping of its own volition to stroke across a luscious bottom lip.

The lip curved into a smile, even as the eyes opened again, and Alex said simply, "Loved. I feel loved."

Alonzo kissed him briefly, and let his hand drift from Alex's face, to his shoulder, to his hip. "As do I. You are a delight in bed, Jade, nearly as delightful as you are out of it. I enjoyed last night, very much."

"As did I, Alonzo. It was more than I could have imagined, and never had I dreamed of taking someone, only of being taken. You can't know what last night meant to me."

"Not exactly, no. But I have a very good idea." They simply held for a bit, each man enjoying the warm feel of the other, until Alex's stomach rumbled.

"My apologies." Slightly embarrassed, Alex was relieved when Alonzo's followed suit.

"None needed." There was dry humor in the warm voice, and Alex moved to get out of bed, only to be restrained by a light hand on his wrist.

"And where do you think you're going?" The seneschal asked it in a tone that implied the correct answer to be "nowhere".

"I thought to see to breakfast, my lord." The words brought a faint darkening to Alonzo's eyes, but he knew Alex was right. The night was ended, and so was their illusion of equality. It made no difference, not really, but gave Alonzo leverage to have his way.

"I rather think not. You may rise and you may see to your chamber needs, but after that, I expect you right back in this bed, Jade. Is that clear?"

"Your instructions are clear, Alonzo, but your thought escapes me." Alex looked at the faintly amused face of his companion with confusion. He knew this was nothing bad, that Alonzo was not angry, nor even annoyed, but he also knew that the man was serious.

"Then let me share them with you, my sweet lover." The word made Alex flush slightly, and it intensified as he realized that he was standing nude, and that Alonzo, now sitting up in the bed, was nude as well. Alonzo noted the lovely sweep of pink, but ignored it, only continuing in a firm, no nonsense tone, heavily laden with amusement and affection. "I said you were going to be spoiled and I meant it. We shall see to our respective needs, and I am going to ring the bell. When the servant arrives, I will place an order for our breakfast, and arrange to have the tub drained and refilled."

"And what am I to do in the meantime?"Alex asked it with his arms crossed over his chest, trying to look suspicious, but only managing shyly excited.

"You, my sweet, are going to do nothing but lie back and let me have my wicked way with you in the meantime."

The blush, only having just faded, intensified, and Alonzo laughed as the young man swallowed hard, then peeped up from under his lashes. "As you will, my lord."

"Go, brat. See to your needs, while I think on where we shall go first today." Alex turned to leave, and Alonzo noted that he was still nude. "Jade, have you a robe? The room is quite cool."

"No, Alonzo."

Reaching out to his yellow bag beside the bed, Alonzo drew out his own, a rich berry colored thickness of flannel. "Here, use mine." Alex looked unsure. "What is it?" Alonzo gave him a tender look.

"When I tend the fire, I might get it dirty."

"You are not to tend the fire, that is not your job this morn. But if it were, and you did, then I should have it cleaned. What really troubles you, Jade?"

"It is not right for me to wear your clothing casually, my lord. It is too much."

For the first time, Alex saw anger in the dark eyes, anger directed at himself. He winced, but the seneschal spoke quietly, though his words had a hard edge to them. "Last night you wore my body, Jade, but this morning my robe is too good for you? What confusion is this?"

Alex swallowed hard, knowing he'd made a mistake. Alonzo sighed, rubbing at a spot between his eyes, and spoke again, this time without the hard edge.

"See to your needs, Jade, and return here, please."

"Yes, my lord."

Alex left the robe laying on the bed, not sure whether it would be worse to wear it now or not. He went into the other room, and after seeing to his bladder, quickly washed his face and hands, and rinsed his mouth. On the way back, he saw his collar and the lock. He picked it up, taking it back into the bedroom with him.

Alonzo was standing at the window with his back to the room, looking out at the city before him. His eyes were troubled, and Alex felt a pang of regret, as he noticed the man had not bothered to use the robe either. Sensing Alex's return, Alonzo had his turn, and then was back on the bed sitting across from Alex.

"I'm sorry, Jade, I did not mean to be harsh. But I would know your reasoning, for I admit to being confused."

"As am I, Alonzo. I did not mean to anger you, nor did I intend to be rude. I do not know why I said it, save that it has always been expected that the master may choose to share his skin, but that his possessions were another matter. I have never, save Lord Fox, been allowed to even touch something of the master's without explicit direction to do so. I acted as I have been taught, Alonzo."

Alonzo relaxed then, nodding. "Of course. It would seem that way to you, little Jade, how could it seem otherwise? I'm sorry, Jade, I forget sometimes how new this all is to you. But listen to me, and heed my words, please."

Alex nodded, turning an earnest face to the seneschal.

"I am your companion. Your lover. You need not ask, when we are alone, if you may touch or not touch. I am yours, for the time, Jade, and I would give my body to no man that could not then wear my shirt also. It is difficult for you, as it is for any slave, to learn the ways of freemen, but I assure you, a freeman would have taken the robe without a second thought. Had I slumbered, and he needed it, he would have felt no wrong in simply putting it on and using it without asking. But that is not what made me angry, Jade."

Here, Alonzo's face turned to his own, and the man looked at him squarely.

"I was angry because in our time together, just as you have stopped feeling the slave, so I have stopped feeling the master. You said I made you feel free already. But, Jade, you have lifted me from that role, as well. When we are together, when I am with you, I am not the master, the seneschal. I am simply me, Alonzo, sharing company with my lover. I was angry because your words pushed me back into that role, drew a line around me and wrote 'master' atop it."

Alonzo sighed, looking away now that he'd faced the truth.

"I'm sorry, Jade, it wasn't your intent or your fault. I know that once we leave these rooms, that is what I am and must be. But I was not ready to be such again, not yet. You see, Jade, you must never forget that I hate being a master. I loathe it, with every fiber of my being."

Alex startled, gasped aloud. He'd never considered that, never had the idea occur to him.

"It's true. If I could step down this instant, I would do so cheerfully. But I cannot. I do what I must, to ensure an end to that which should never have begun. And on that blessed day, I will never again allow another human to call me such. To ally me, if only by name, with those that have hurt me and so many others. No. I am no slave, and equally, I am no master, not in my heart."

Alex saw the old pain on the lean face and reached out, wrapping his arms around the man. The seneschal clung to him, and Alex held tightly. "I understand now, Alonzo. I'm sorry I hurt you, and I won't do such again."

"Thank you, Jade." The older man took a deep breath and eased away, the vulnerability still visible, despite the attempt at a return to normal. "Now, put down that collar, there will be enough time to make you proper before we leave. For now, lie back in this bed and tell me what you would like for breakfast."

Alex smiled and obeyed, making a show of bedding himself down, seeing the light begin to spark in the near black eyes again. "What are my choices?"

"You may have whatever you like. They shall fix what I ask for."

"I don't know. I've never gotten to choose my breakfast before. In truth, I only started having breakfast when I came to Samstar Fields."

"That is not so unusual, for a slave. But perhaps there is something you've always wanted to try? Something you saw perhaps, or heard of?"

Alex thought, noticing that Alonzo had already rung the bell. Clad now in his robe, Alonzo moved to the doorway, closing the bedroom door behind him, as he went to answer the light knock of the front room door.

"Good morning. I should like the fire stoked, and the bath emptied, but leave the tub and arrange for it to be refilled. I will give you my breakfast choice in a bit."

"Yes, Sir. Right away." It was the boy that had led them to the inn, and he first got the fire going, then skipped out to pass along the orders. The bedroom shared the fireplace with the front room, a common wall, and now Alex gazed into the flames, trying very hard to think of a breakfast.

Alonzo came back in, and took a seat on the bed. "Well?"

"There is one thing, but it may be impossible now that winter is here."

"Nothing is impossible in a large city, Jade, not if you have coin. Tell me."

"The mistress, once, when we were at court, she had a plate brought to the carriage for a companion of hers. It had a very thin round cake, very thin, and there were strawberries and cream inside it, a white powder dusted on top. I'd never seen a strawberry before, only knew what it was because she took a bite of one and mentioned that she loved strawberries. The mistress hated them and made a face, but I thought it looked like the prettiest food I'd ever seen. I do not know the name of it, Alonzo, nor even if I shall like strawberries, but I always hoped to taste one."

"I do know the name, and it is an excellent choice. Leave it to me, Jade."

Another knock came and Alonzo answered it. It was a single girl with a length of tubing and a bulb handle, Alex could see her partly through the fireplace, it was large enough.

"I'm here to drain the tub, Sir."

"Alone? It took a dozen of you to fill it."

"Aye, but the master had this made. With your permission, Sir?"

"Please. I am most anxious to watch and learn." The girl crossed out of sight, and Alex heard the window open. Alonzo watched as the girl set the tubing outside the window, positioning it carefully into a gutter, then shut the window just enough to hold it in place.

She then walked back, stuck the other end of the tube into the bath, and squeezed the bulb handle several times quickly. The water, Alex guessed, was pumped out the window.

"Wonderful! Very clever, I shall have to remember that." Alonzo found the sketch from the night before and quickly added another to it.

The girl waited patiently until he was done, and then asked, "Have you decided breakfast yet, good sir?"

"I have indeed. It shall be a bit tricky, but as this fine establishment has yet to disappoint, I have full confidence you shall manage. I should like strawberry crepes, with well-whipped cream and powdered sugar. Mind you leave a few berries whole, on the side, and a side of the cream as well. In addition, I should like eggs, well beaten and filled with a sharp cheese, bacon and mushrooms. Tell me, child, does this port know of the Turkish tea?"

"Served hot and thick, in tiny cups, or thinned in the glass mugs?" There was a hint of tease to her voice, and Alex knew a moment of jealousy. But then he remembered that his mark was on the slender neck, and easily visible with Alonzo wearing only a robe. That made him feel positively smug, and he lay back, smiling.

"Very good, child, I'll have it thinned, please, but not too much, only about half. In addition I'll want milk and a jug of the orange pressings. That should do it."

"My lord, I should warn you, this will be most expensive. 'tis not the season for either the berries or the oranges."

"Thank you, child, but I care not for the coin."

"Then I shall hurry down with the order, my lord, and set the boys scrambling through the city."

A chuckle, a curtsey, and she was gone.

Alonzo came back into the bedroom, and his mouth quirked as he took in the image Alex made against the creamy beige of the bed clothes.

Slipping off his robe, Alonzo got into bed beside him, reaching out and pulling the young man close to him.

Alex went willingly but asked, "What of breakfast?"

"It shall take them quite a while to see to that list, Jade, and longer still for the water to heat. We have time, and I believe I mentioned having my wicked way with you."

"But you are not wicked, Alonzo." Alex teased it, murmuring it against the seneschal's chest, as his lips made their way to a dusky nipple.

"Perhaps not, but I can make the attempt." So saying, Alonzo rolled Alex over, so that the younger man was lying almost fully beneath him.

"That is all I would ever ask." The parody of the words so often spoken to him, made Alonzo pull back, looking into the mischievous green eyes with mock sternness.

"I can see we must begin with a definite change in your attitude, young one." So saying, Alonzo easily turned Alex over onto his stomach, playfully spanking the naked rear while Alex laughed. Three very light swats only, and then Alonzo was kissing the barely pink spots, hands caressing, mouth warm and gentle on the rounded flesh. "Jade, I should like to touch you intimately. I will bring you no discomfort, though it may feel odd, at first. Have I your leave?"

Alex nodded, a bit nervous, but trusting Alonzo completely.

"Thank you, Jade. Now, just relax, and take smooth even breaths." Alex did so, as he felt Alonzo shifting, moving slightly behind him, stretching out more fully on the bed. The kisses began at the base of his spine, and continued downward. When Alonzo parted his cheeks slightly, Alex stiffened, then yielded, and was rewarded by the feel of...

"Goddess, Alonzo!" Alex arched halfway off the mattress. "Is that your tongue?" Fitz had definitely not covered this in his lecture. Alonzo, ignoring the question, urged Alex up onto his knees, and then repeated the slow slide of his tongue along that sensitive flesh. The young man shuddered, gasping as the feelings raced up his spine.

Alonzo took his time, laving the little bud, swirling about it, feeling the tremors rock through Alex's body, loving the sounds the slave was making, savoring the knowledge that he was giving immense pleasure where only hurt had been before. He made love to the crinkled flesh with his tongue until Alex was writhing under his touch.

"Alonzo, please!"

"What is it, Jade? What do you want?"

"I-I do not know, only I know that I want something, please!" The voice was full of need, and Alonzo thought hard, debating.

"Jade, little one, I think you are ready for a fingertip. One only. The choice is yours, but know that I will go slowly and use plenty of the ointment. There might be discomfort, but no pain. Shall I try?"

Alex bit at his lip. A fingertip, a single fingertip. If it hurt, Alonzo would stop, he knew this, and Fitz had managed a full exam with no pain. Besides, his body was craving, and Alex wanted to fill that hunger.

"Yes, please! I want to try, Alonzo."

"Shh. Easy, lover, easy." Alonzo gathered the ointment, taking a generous amount for Alex, and a smaller portion for himself. With both hands anointed, Alonzo went back to massaging the orifice with his tongue, bringing Alex back to nearly the same level as before. Slowly, carefully, Alonzo began stroking over it with the well greased pad of his finger.

Alex stiffened for a moment, but it was nerves only, as it felt nearly as good, if not better than Alonzo's tongue had. When the seneschal felt Alex was ready, he slid his other hand around to grasp the hardened cock that Alex had been rubbing against the sheets. A slow pump, and then Alonzo carefully pressed, entering the slave even as he began stroking the erection. Alonzo was pleased to note that it didn't lag when Alex was entered, and now, Alex was trembling almost violently, yet frozen in place.

"Speak to me, Jade. Are you well? Should I stop?"

"No! No, do not stop, Alonzo, it is wonderful, only would you, would you move it within me?"

Alonzo did so, taking care to keep the movement fluid and gentle. As his finger returned once, he brushed Alex's prostate. The young man made a low, deep howling sound, and began thrusting almost violently into Alonzo's fist. Alonzo luckily brushed it again, and that was all Alex needed. He began to spill over Alonzo's hand, and collapsed into a boneless, panting, sated heap.

Alonzo gently cleaned the spent flesh and his hand, then took another of the clean cloths, and discretely cleaned his mouth, though he knew Alex had been clean from their bath before.

When he finished, he stretched out beside Alex, feeling very good about the fact that he'd reduced the younger man to a puddle. A puddle wearing a somewhat awestruck, slightly silly and very wide smile.

"I take it back, my lord." Alex managed the words, and Alonzo saw that youth was lending a hand, and the boy was nearly recovered.

"What would that be, Jade?"

"You are wicked. A very, very wicked man."

"For which you are most grateful." Alonzo smoothed sweat dampened hair from Alex's forehead as he said it, and Alex gave a blissful sigh.

"Most grateful, my lord. But perhaps I should show my gratitude, rather than tell you of it?" The face took on a slightly feral cast, and then Alex was atop him, the strong young body brushing full length along his own. The mouth was hungry and seeking, and the hands fondled and stroked. Before Alonzo knew what was happening, Alex was mouthing his chest and stomach, before moving to the man's sex.

"You need not. Your pleasure is enough for me." Alonzo meant it, but Alex only gathered his bravery about him and told him plainly to be silent.

Arching an eyebrow, Alonzo obliged, and was rewarded by his companion taking his erection halfway down a swallowing throat.

"Aah!" It took him slightly off guard, and Alex paused at the sound, but then a glance showed him it had been a good cry. Satisfied, Alex continued his attentions.

Many, many times in the past, Alex had been forced to perform such. Never had he enjoyed it, nor understood when others did. Now, he discovered that when there was no force, there was pleasure in the act, and not just for the recipient. Alex took great delight in every sound and movement he drew from Alonzo, and when the man could hold his passion no longer, Alex savored the taste of his success.

They rested, each man happy and sated, until there was a knock on the outer door. Slipping on his collar, turning the lock but not quite locking it, Alex stood.

"I'll get it, Alonzo." With a smile, Alex slipped into the robe and tied it around himself casually, and left.

Alonzo, still recovering from the erotic pounce of his lover, could only smile at the closed door.

The serving girl was at the door, and she had a large tray in her hands. Behind her, with an even larger one, was one of the boys from the stables. Alex stood aside, and they brought them in, setting them on the largest table in the room.

"Does your master require anything else?" The boy asked it, as was proper, and Alex went to the bedroom door, looking in, knowing Alonzo would have heard.

"No, but thank them anyway." Reaching over the bed, he found his clothing from the night before. He tossed a couple of coins from his pants pocket to Alex, and then settled back again.

Alex turned, handing them each a coin. The girl, remembering from the night before, spoke to the stable boy. "We're to share it with the runners and such." He nodded, and they called a thank you, then took their leave. No sooner had they left then Alonzo entered the room. Alex took off the robe, holding it out. He then took off his collar, placing it back on the table.

"No, thank you, it's quite warm enough now, I think, even with the window parted." A check showed the tub drained, and now Alonzo removed the tubing and closed the window, before coming back to the covered trays. Lifting the lid, he found the beverages and plates, utensils and glassware. The second tray held the food.

"Was this what you wanted, Jade?"

Alex was looking at it in wonder. "Yes. It is exactly what she had."

Alonzo, relieved, reached out, taking one large plump berry from the dish on the side. "You should taste this first, just as it is. Do not eat the green stem, only the fruit. There are no hard seeds, it has no pit, simply bite into it." Alonzo held it out, and Alex followed his directions. The taste burst across his tongue, sweet and juicy, and unlike any fruit he'd tasted before.

Seeing the surprised delight in the green eyes, Alonzo fed him another, the sight of those lips wrapping around the lush fruit sending an echo of remembrance through his groin. Sighing slightly at his own greed, Alonzo motioned to the tray before him.

"You take this one, I'll take the other. This is a breakfast that should be eaten in bed." Alex, no longer taken aback by anything Alonzo suggested, simply followed. Soon, they were propped on pillows, trading bites and kisses, feeding each other and licking the traces from fingertips and lips.

When the meal was ended, Alex sighed. He'd never had a morning like this one, and as he lay with his head against Alonzo's chest, the man's arms around him, Alex found himself wondering if he would ever know one like it with Moss and Sable. The thought of feeding Moss a strawberry, of lounging against Sable's large frame sent a pang of longing through him. A stab of guilt took him over, and he turned more fully into Alonzo's embrace. The seneschal, having noticed the slightly distant gaze, the brief pang, pressed a kiss to the dark head, before speaking softly.

"You do no wrong, to think of them now."

"But I'm here, with you, Alonzo, and you are the one that has given me such pleasure." Not caring how the older man knew his thoughts, Alex was relieved to be able to share them.

"Yes. And it is the fact that you did feel such pleasure and joy, that made you think of them. It does not hurt my feelings, little one, to the contrary. It reassures me that I am doing what I should, and that is prepare you for them, without confusing you or making you doubt your purpose. I do not interfere in your relationship, I merely augment it, make it more clear to you. I am here to help you find your wants, your needs, your desires, and to show you that as good as it is with me, it is even better with the one you love. Or ones, in your case."

Alex rolled over, looking into the kind, yet razor sharp eyes. "I would be like you, Alonzo. I would be wise and kind and generous. I would be free with my heart and my love, begrudging nothing through fear or jealousy. Think you, that I can achieve such, in time?"

"My sweet Jade, I think you have surpassed it, long ago." He stilled the young man's protest with a kiss, then reached out ringing the bell. "Come, little one, a bath and then we must, regretfully, leave this haven. We have much to do, including your amends." Alonzo mentioned it gently, unsure if the subject would upset Alex or not. He was relieved when there was only a clear eyed nod.

Soon, the tub was again filled, and despite Alonzo's words, they had a leisurely bath, though Alonzo sternly shook his head when Alex reached for his sex.

"Your desire flatters me beyond reason, Jade, but I am not so young as you, my sweet. Besides, we really must see to our business."

Alex, the seneschal noted with some amusement, actually had a hint of a pout for an instant. It gave Alonzo quite an ego boost, and the man whistled merrily as he got dressed. When they were both ready, Alonzo picked up Alex's collar.

"Here, Jade. I would fasten this Christ-be-damned collar." Alonzo spoke the blasphemy without a hint of remorse or anger, sounded quite cheerful, in fact. Alex chuckled, standing still and letting the man fit and fasten it, securing the lock. "Have you your purse?"

Alex reached into his shirt, showing it tied securely.

"Then let us go. We shall, with your consent, see to your amends first."

"I should like that, thank you, Alonzo."

"Welcome, sweet." They made their way to the stables, and soon were riding through the town. Alonzo had gotten directions to a crystal shop, and that is where they made their way. As they dismounted, Alonzo reluctantly drew the lead from his pocket. Alex, too, had seen the notice, that due to the extreme power of such places, all slaves must be kept on restraint. Alex would have preferred to look without the constraint, but he merely tilted his head back.

He startled when Alonzo's thumb brushed over the dark passion smudge that rested above his collar, then let his eyes show his thanks for the silent support.

"I will pay for your purchases, Jade, and you may give me the money back."

Alex started to nod, but then shook his head, whispering urgently, "I'm sorry, my lord, but I feel the crystals will not work correctly, do I not pay for them myself. I can give you my money pouch, and take the coins from you in that manner, as though you are having me pay for them, but I must handle the coins, my coins, and the stones, Alonzo, else it will not work."

Alex had no idea how he knew this, but he did know it. Biting his lip, unsure if he would be scolded for his refusal, Alex was relieved to find the older man reluctantly nodding.

"Very well. I know nothing of crystals, but I shall trust your instincts. My own fairy blood is well diluted, scarcely there with one exception, but you are fully half, are you not?"

"I believe so, my lord, no less than one quarter." Alonzo motioned, and Jade untied his pouch, handing it over.

"Jade, these places, they are strong, the signs have that aright. Please, be careful, and handle with caution. I may have little belief, but I have less desire to be proven wrong." The mouth quirked, and Alex gave a small grin in response. The seneschal's next words were scarcely a whisper. "I am sincere, Jade, you take a fool's risk and I shall punish you myself and gladly suffer the wrath of Lord Fox on our return."

It hurt Alonzo deeply to offer a real threat, but he was too concerned with Alex's safety not to do so. Alex, knowing it was only care that prompted such hardness, wasn't hurt in the least.

"Yes, my lord. I shall be cautious."

A last deep breath, and Alonzo led them into the shop.

xx

While Alonzo found the place instantly disquieting, Alex immediately felt a great sense of calm as soon as he entered. He inhaled deeply, shuddered once as the tension flowed from his body. Alonzo noticed but said nothing, reassured by the sense of peace and tranquility he could sense from his companion.

The shopkeeper, an elderly woman, had come to the front at the sound of the door, soft chimes announcing a customer. She spoke to Alonzo, after a quick glance between the two of them, but she gave a slight bow to Alex.

"My lord, with your consent, I should like to conduct business through your slave. I mean no disrespect, but only wish to facilitate the transaction."

"Granted." Very much relieved that she'd caught the situation clearly, Alonzo relaxed a fraction.

"I would ask one other favor, my lord." She reached into her pocket, and retrieved a wooden loop.

"The metal in the chain will make it harder for him. Please, if you could fasten his lead to the loop, and then hold the wood, that would be a great kindness, the vibrations will be neutralized by the wood."

Alonzo, catching Alex's faint nod from the corner of his eye, did so, though he understood none of what the woman had just said to him. Alex looked even more placid, if that were possible.

"Now, child, tell me what you need."

"I must find four stones. One for myself, and three for others. I must find them by heart, my lady, with no help or instruction. I shall then take them to one of the Sisters, to be judged."

"Ah. So I see. You will find the loose stones in the front, along the middle two shelves. Do you not find what you seek, I have others that must be kept apart, and will gladly show them to you."

"Thank you, my lady." Alex, normally so frightened and ill at ease with a stranger, graced her with a smile, which she returned, before calmly strolling to the front. Alonzo, trying hard not to mentally curse all fairies and their blood gifts, followed in silence.

It took no time at all, as Alex merely closed his eyes, passing his hand over the stones. He paused over a dark golden one with streaks of brown and paler gold through it, then picked it up gently, smiling softly.

"For Fitz." The lady, Alonzo noticed, was ready with a selection of tiny, colored cloth bags, scarcely bigger than an egg. She put the stone into a dark gold one, pulling the drawstring taut and setting it on the counter.

The next stone was a cluster of pebble like shapes, all a rich red with golden highlights."For the master." Alex smiled brighter at that one, and the shopkeeper tucked it into a red bag. Alonzo realized that this was to aid in knowing which stone was where, without having to take it out of the bag.

Moments later, a deep blue grey stone with a pale gray- white, vaguely star shaped pattern in the center was chosen. "For the Captain."

This went into a gray bag, and the shopkeeper smiled as she patted it lovingly, before turning to Alex expectantly. The dark gray, nearly black stone wasn't pretty, with its squared shape and rough edge, but Alex held it with deep reverence, and squeezed it tightly.

"For me." This went into a black bag, and was handed back first, then the others were gathered.

"May I assist you in any other way, my child?"

"No, grandmother, I have all I need for the present." Alonzo gasped, alarmed, but Alex turned to him, soothing him with a smile. "All is well, Alonzo. I have lost neither sense nor reason. I am not being reckless, my word. I call her such because she is of my blood line. We have a common ancestor, so my blood says."

Alonzo remembered then having seen those with strong fairy blood greet each other, and speak of this, of knowing from the blood who was of the same line as they themselves. And healing women were always grandmother, as healing men were always grandfather. Wishing very much that it would all just go away, Alonzo nevertheless relaxed, knowing that whatever else might happen, she meant no harm to Alex.

"My coins, please?" Alex held out his hand, and Alonzo put the pouch into it, removing the clip as he did so, and handing it back

"That will be three coppers, child, save for the last stone. That, I give to you freely, for all you have suffered in the name of our blood. May you serve each other well."

Alex paid her, uncaring that it took a full third of his money. When she'd taken it from him, she reached out her hand, and Alex bent his head, letting her place her palm on it briefly.

"Go in the peace you have discovered."

"Abide in the peace you provide." Alex gave her another smile, and they left the shop.

Alonzo gave a huge sigh of relief once they were outside, while Alex only looked wistfully at the doorway.

"I've never heard anything so lovely." He murmured it softly, and Alonzo's brows drew together.

"What was that?"

"The sound."

"What sound, Jade?"

Green eyes looked up at him, utterly without guile. "The sounds of the stones, singing. It was so very beautiful, my lord. Did you not find it so?" Alex studied the face before him, and felt a hint of disappointment. "You could not hear it, could you?"

"No, Jade. I heard nothing."

"I am sorry. I do not mean to make you uncomfortable."

"It is not you, it is the subject. I confess, I am frightened by the fairy gifts, though I have my own. I am not comfortable with the magical, the mystical arouses nothing more than skepticism and distaste within me. Still," he managed a smile for the sake of the young man before him, "I could see that you felt something very real and I am happy for you, Jade, that the experience was so positive. I am also glad that you have found some peace with your dual nature, as I know that you had bad experiences from it before."

"I did. I have always hated and feared my fairy blood, before I came to Samstar Fields. Even then, I was frightened at first. But it let me be of use, and helped me learned to read, and I stopped hating it. It at least served some purpose. Just now though, I realized something very important. It was never the fairy blood that needed to be feared, only the human reaction to it. My fairy blood is a gift, and if it has been misused in the past, that sin lies with those that sought to misuse it. I heard it, Alonzo, heard it speak to me for the first time, and now, I will never fear it again." The face was radiant, and Alonzo swallowed hard to control his reaction.

"I am most proud of you, Jade. And the master shall be, as well. You continue to amaze me, little one, and I cannot comprehend what you could possibly find in me in return, but I am grateful for whatever it is."

Alex gave a mock glare, after ensuring they were alone. "Were I a freeman and you said that, my lover, I should ensure you regretted it."

Alonzo's eyes grew wide, and to Alex's delight, he blushed, though Alex saw that the eyes were not displeased. Moving quickly to Deviant, Alonzo mounted.

"Come, there will be a line to see the Sister, and we have a later start."

Alex grinned, not fooled for a moment, but he only mounted Jessopa and followed Alonzo's lead.

xx

They arrived quickly, and Alonzo was right, there was a line, though it was not so long as either of them had feared. In fact, it was quite the shortest Alonzo had ever seen, only a dozen or so people waiting for their turn. Alex held his stones with care, and moved with confidence toward the line.

"Do you wish me to wait with you, Jade?" Alonzo whispered, having paused Alex, under guise of checking the collar.

"No, my lord. I shall be fine alone. I do not fear the Sisters anymore, either. Women or not, if they can teach me of the stones, how to know the voices, one from another, then I shall hope sincerely to be worthy of training."

"You suppose, then, you have a gift for healing?"

"No, my lord. I know I have. Think you, my lord, I can remember anything I hear, and I can hear the stones!" It was an emphatic whisper, Alex knowing he must be careful, but frustrated at failing to get his point across. The true impact of what Alex had said to him earlier came back now, and Alonzo suddenly realized just how gifted Alex must be.

Seeing the look on the seneschal's face, the recognition, Alex relaxed, and looked eagerly toward the line.

Alonzo scanned the surrounding buildings, finding a tea shop just across the green. "I shall await you there, Jade. Take as long as you need, though if you will be overlong, see if you will be allowed to send word, at least."

"Yes, my lord."

Alonzo motioned him to go, and Alex all but ran to take his place. Alonzo watched as the young man, earlier so full of fear of this moment, took his place with confidence and anticipation. Gods, he would have to tell Lord Fox of this, in full detail. There were things the slave wasn't thinking of, things that the master must. Alonzo would sooner lose a limb than destroy the eagerness and joy he'd seen in those green eyes, but this gift would not come without a price.

Sighing, Alonzo entered the shop, taking a seat near the window, so that he could keep watch over Alex.

The wait was nothing, especially not to a slave, and very soon, Alex was next in line. He stood between two columns, having seen that one waited here, until beckoned. The man ahead of him finished his business, and took his leave. Alex continued to wait patiently, as the figure behind the round wooden table made some notes, and took a drink from a pitcher beside her. Once she was finished, a lovely, lilting voice called to him.

"I will see you now." Alex made a deep bow, not sure of the manners required, and stepped forward, holding his stones carefully. The table had been in shadow from where he stood between the columns, but now, as he neared it, he saw it was well lit by the mid-day sun, and only the angle had been responsible for the darkness.

A woman sat behind the table, her features ordinary, some would even say plain. Her hair was short, coming only to the collar of the pale gray robes she wore, and was nearly its match in color. But it was her manner that drew the eye, and made her appear different than any woman Alex had ever seen. She had an elegance, but there was nothing cool or reserved about her. She had an obvious strength, but her face promised only soft comfort. Her blue eyes were alive with thought and clearly noticed everything, but Alex felt as though they only focused on him, and as lightly as a butterfly might tread a flower. Still, he had no doubt of having her full and undivided attention, and he was most comfortable within that concentration. Alex thought her the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

She gestured with a ringed hand to the chair across from her, and Alex again bowed, before taking a seat. She looked at him, and smiled more softly.

"I am Sister Paulina. How may I serve you?"

Alex swallowed hard, throat suddenly dry. This woman was welcoming and warm, but there was a power about her he could feel, just as he had felt the stones. She reached down, took up her own glass and offered it to him, full of cool water.

"Please." She indicated that he should take it, and Alex hesitated only a moment, before accepting the glass..

Gratefully, he took a deep swallow, and when he handed it back, she casually took another drink herself, ignoring his gasp. The last of his fear and mistrust vanished in that simple gesture. Nowhere but Samstar Fields itself, had Alex ever known a free person to eat or drink after a slave, and never from the same utensil.

"Thank you, Sister Paulina."

"You are most welcome. How may I serve you?"

"I am here as part of an amends."

Alex told her the story, surprising himself by leaving nothing out. She listened, eyes slightly off focus, just enough to keep him comfortable, but without ever making him doubt her attention.

"These are the stones I selected." Alex held them out, and she motioned to the tabletop.

"Open the bags, please, and take the stones out. Just set them on their bags, and then look at me, please."

Alex obeyed, and the eyes were bright with a hint of laughter. "I am most happy that I am the one called to serve today, and could help you, for I have an advantage the other sisters would not have had. I know Samstar Fields." She saw Alex's mouth open in surprise, and gave a quiet laugh of soft delight.

"In truth, I have been there many times. You see, it is our custom to visit with those we have trained, and I trained the Captain. I have also worked some with dear Fitz, but he has not the gift for stones. Now herbs, there he is very talented, while I can scarce tell a rose from a potato." She grinned, showing deep dimples, and Alex found himself grinning back. "The master, too, Lord Fox is well known to me, and a finer man I have never known. Indeed, I am familiar with many of those at your beloved home, and so I shall be able to give you a very good judgement of your stones. Now, tell me, are you ready? Have you confidence in your selections?"

"Yes, Sister Paulina. I have great confidence." And he told her of his visit, and how he'd chosen the stones, of the sound of their singing. "I could not hear the separate voices, it was as a choir only. Hints of each singer, but the sound was a whole." The story had leapt from him, and Alex suddenly worried that he had said too much. That lovely voice soothed him.

"There is no need for fear, Jade. You are safe. This is a safe place, and your companion watches from the windows. What is said to me, is said in confidence, just as it is to Fitz. I swear it."

"On what do you swear?" Alex could have bitten his tongue off, but she only raised a necklace by its chain, revealing the badge of her office, a piece of the sacred stone. It sparked with fire, and seemed to Alex to be alive.

"I swear on the Sacred Stone." Her voice was full of conviction, and the stone seemed to flash, before she let it drop. Convinced, but still ashamed of having asked, Alex raised his eyes only slightly.

"I am sorry, Sister Paulina."

"I am not. There are many that wear a robe and offer sacred silence, then fail to give it. You did the right thing, Jade. But now," and her voice lost the serious tone, a playful edge entering into it again, "let us see your crystals and stones, and see how you have done. Who should you like read first?"

"Fitz. For he is the one I wronged the most." Alex pointed to the golden brown gem, and Sister Paulina gave an encouraging smile to him.

"Now, you must look at me, Jade. I cannot wait to see your face as I tell you this one."

Alex looked up, somewhat shyly, and she winked at him. Normally, a woman speaking to him so would have terrified him, but Alex could feel nothing but calm from her presence.

"That's good. Now, the stone you chose has a very fancy name, but it actually comes from a very common family. It is called an Imperial Golden Topaz, and it is a stone of trust and protection, but what makes it perfect for Fitz is that it draws out any negativity, and helps ease exhaustion and tension, both of which the dear man suffers from. Quite well chosen, Jade." Her eyes actually seemed proud of him, and Alex sat a bit straighter. "Which shall we check next?"

"This one, please, Sister Paulina." Alex pointed to the one for the master.

"You chose this for Lord Fox, did you not?"

"Yes, Sister Paulina."

"It is called a garnet, and it is a stone of commitment, but more, of devotion and passion, of which he has plenty, but needs reinforced within himself. He spends so much of it on others, that to get a bit back, equalize the balance, will be very good for him. Again, an excellent choice."

Alex turned to the Captain's stone next. "For Captain Scully."

"This is a faceted Star crystal and it offers protection on any and all levels. In addition, it contains a dual male and female nature and energies. Perfect for a warrior and a Sister. Excellent, Jade."

"This is mine, Sister, and I would also know if I may wear it, for I like the feel of it in my hand."

"For yourself, Jade, you make the best selection of all. This is oxinite. It brings security and trust, helps the wearer to find proper direction for the soul, and to achieve their life's purpose. In addition, it makes times of change easier and helps one to adjust to new relationships. And you may, indeed, wear it or keep it in a pocket, to stroke."

Alex had replaced each stone in its pouch, and now he held them close to himself. "Sister, I should like to be tested, to see if I have a gift for the healing arts, and for the crystals especially."

"That won't be necessary." Her voice was firm with conviction, and Alex's face visibly fell. "Oh no, little one, you mistake my meaning. I am sorry, I said that badly. I only meant that I already know that the answer to both is yes. And it is possible for you to train. I could contact Lord Fox, and make arrangements for your teaching."

"Yes, Sister. Please, I should like that very much."

"I should like proof of your sincerity, Jade."

"What must I do?" He asked it sincerely, and she looked at him soberly.

"You must let me take your hand, for a moment, and study your soul. I warn you, I shall see all there is to see of you, every past deed and future plan. Nothing specific, simply the core of your being, your true nature, compressed into one or two sharp images, that you, too, shall share. I shall know your soul, Jade, as well as my own. And while I will never reveal what I see, nor act on it, once my decision is made in this manner, it is irrevocable. Think, Jade, and give me your answer."

He looked absolutely torn, and her heart went out to him, even as she kept her face neutral. Alex was stricken, unsure what his answer should be, terrified, either way. At last, he sent his thought to the goddess and imagined her there with him, batting at his hand...which meant her will was plain.

"Yes, Sister Paulina. I will let you test me."

"Let us begin. Take a deep breath, hold it as you count to three, and then give me your hand."

Alex obeyed, and the Sister's hand closed upon his own. He felt a warm tingle begin in his palm, heard bright laughter, saw sorrowful tears and felt a kiss upon his brow, the long forgotten feel of his mother's lips. It soothed his fears, and when her scent came to him as well, he knew a sense of release within his heart like none other. A thousand weights lifted, and he couldn't help but cry her name.

"Ama!"

His answer was a whisper of those lips on his cheek, and a hint of her voice, soothing him. There was a strong sensation of being loved by her, even now.

"Jade." The voice, doe soft and just as lovely, brought him slowly back to himself. He was stunned to feel that his face was dripping with tears, and that Alonzo was now standing beside him. But more, he was filled still with that same warmth of her love and presence.

"You shall have all the training you desire, Jade. I shall make the arrangements at once. Go in peace, little one, and know no fear."

"Thank you, Sister Paulina. Thank you...for her." Alex could say no more, and the woman only gave him a brilliant smile and turned to Alonzo.

"Thank you for answering my call so quickly. I apologize if I frightened you, but I knew he would need you. Get him somewhere warm, give him mulled wine and let him sleep for a bit. He is not harmed, I assure you."

"As you say." Alonzo, himself shaking badly, made a bow.

"Go now, Jade. Let your lover help you, and know that you will not lose this feeling. It will be there, when you awaken. You will not ever lose it again."

Alex, beaming through his tear streaked face, did the only thing he knew to do. He knelt on the ground in front of the table.

Hands, delicately shaped but strong, closed on his arms, and lifted him to his feet. She was nearly taller than he was, and now, as those in line gaped, Sister Paulina reached out, hugging him tightly.

"Blessings upon you and your love, Jade. Now, you must rest, and my time is nearly finished here. I have much to meditate on. Go with Alonzo, child, and rest."

"Yes, Sister." She couldn't resist smiling at him a final time, and then she turned and walked away, as another sister took her place behind the table.

Alonzo helped Alex to the horses. He was a bit weak, but Jessopa seemed to sense this, and docilely allowed Alonzo to take her reins and lead them back to the inn. When they arrived, Alonzo all but threw the reins to one stable boy, motioning to another as he passed.

"Help me with him." The boy understood at once, and together they got Alex upstairs and into the bedroom.

"Do you need anything else, my lord?"

"Mulled wine and some heated bricks. A hot water skin, do you have them."

"At once, Sir." The boy ran down the steps, and Alonzo quickly stripped Alex to his underclothing, and put him down to bed, covering him warmly, and lying down beside him, if on top of the covers.

"I am fine, Alonzo. Honestly."

"Hush, Jade, and that is a command, my sweet."

Alex subsided, nestling close in Alonzo's embrace. When the knock came, Alonzo simply covered Alex's ears and shouted for them to enter. The bricks were placed under the covers at the foot of the bed, and the water skin at his back. The mulled wine was settled over the fire and a cup of it poured and brought to Alonzo.

"Thank you. Close the doors please on your way out."

"Yes, my lord."

When they were alone again, Alonzo urged Alex to sit up, and held him as he sipped at the wine. Alonzo hesitated only a moment before stripping down himself and moving to sit behind Alex, letting the man recline back against his chest. With his arms and even his legs surrounding Alex, Alonzo began to relax. It was many long moments before he realized something.

"You may speak, Jade."

"Alonzo, I do not lie. I am fine, merely tired and a bit chilled."

"As soon as I am convinced of that, I shall warm you quite well." There was a dark warning in the tone, and Alex swallowed hard.

"You are going to punish me?" He would take it, of course, had no choice in reality, but Alex would not fight it in his heart, either. Alonzo would not do such without just cause.

"Yes." There was a pause, and then, tiredly, "No." A sigh of exasperation. "I don't know, Jade, I honestly do not know."

"What happened, Alonzo? What frightens you so?" For the man was trembling, and Alex could feel his heart beating too fast.

"You do not know? No, you would not, I suppose. Jade, I was sitting, having my tea, watching you, when suddenly, I heard a voice calling to me, bidding me come to you."

"She said something about that, about calling you suddenly. But I do not see how that could frighten you so."

"Jade, the voice was within my head! It was her voice, calling my name and came from within my own mind! I heard her as clearly as I hear you now. 'Alonzo, come quickly, Jade needs you.' That is what she said. Did you give her my name?"

"No, Alonzo."

"I thought not. And I did not give her leave to be within my mind, I assure you." The seneschal's voice was full of weariness, and Alex put down his cup, turning to look at the man.

"Alonzo, I am sorry you were frightened. And I will take willingly any punishment you set me. But I tell you the truth, that was one of the best moments of my entire life, and I will not regret it, nor will I apologize for it. I did nothing wrong, Alonzo, nothing. I took no foolish risk. Before I agreed, I sent a prayer to Danally, and it was her will that I submit myself to the Sister."

Alonzo, eyes closed, gave a deep sigh. After a moment, it turned into a chuckle, and finally into a full fledged laughter. Alex looked at him worriedly, but Alonzo took his hand, squeezing it gently. After many moments, Alonzo spoke through gasps for breath.

"Jade, I have never trusted in more than I could see and feel, if I could not hold it in my hand, I had little use for it. Then you come into my life, and I am suddenly taking orders from cats, straining to hear stones sing, and listening to the voices of mystics in my head. I have lost a great deal of control somewhere along the way, Jade, a great deal of control. And, with all that, I cannot find it in my heart to judge you anything but worth it all. Every frightening, soul disturbing moment I would pay and pay again for the privilege of calling you my lover, however briefly."

Alonzo was back in control now, and pulled the slave back into his arms, holding him tightly, and being held just as tightly in return.

"And I would not have you regret earlier. When I am less shaken, I wish to hear all about it, that is the truth, Jade. But for now, please, let us do as she says, and sleep."

"Yes, Alonzo." Alex kissed the man, and they settled down into the bed, arms still around each other, and let their fatigue have its way.

xx

An hour or so later, Alex opened his eyes to find Alonzo awake beside him, and staring up at the ceiling. It was just after the noon hour, judging by the light from the windows, and Alex saw that Alonzo was looking at shadows on the ceiling, the pattern caused by the limbs of a large willow tree outside their room, the long strands of green blown by the mild winds.

"Tell me, Jade. I am ready now to listen."

Alex honored the quiet request, and told Alonzo everything of his meeting with the Sister. When he finished, he paused and then could not help but ask, "Alonzo, is it still your will to punish me?"

"No, sweet, and I apologize for saying such. I have no excuse except my fear, and I assumed many things, most of them false. One of the dangers of being a man in my position, you can, occasionally, hurt those that you seek to protect."

"The master said much the same to me, once. He punished me, and then decided it was undeserved."

"That is some comfort, to know I am not alone in my failing of you."

"You did not fail me, Alonzo. If my time at Samstar Fields has taught me anything, it is that we are all but men, none perfect and yet, none without redemption, either. Simply human, and fallible. What matters is not whether or not we fail, but how we manage it when the failure comes, as it must."

Alonzo rolled over, looking deeply into Alex's eyes, so full of forgiveness. "You are a good man, Jade. One of the finest it has ever been my privilege to know, and I thank you for your affections. I will repay this kindness, one day, my word on it."

"There is nothing to repay. I but give what you and the master have taught me is right to give. You must thank yourself and Lord Fox, do you like what you get."

Alonzo reached out, kissing the young man tenderly, softly, with no motive save love. "So, you will train with the Sisters, and become a healer?"

"If Lord Fox and Fitz allow."

"They shall, have no fears of that, little one."

"Alonzo?"

"Yes, Jade?"

"Am I really worth the trouble?"

"Yes, Jade. Every moment of it. But it is no trouble, Jade. It is but an adventure, and one not to be missed."

Another kiss, and then Alonzo stroked the hair from Alex's face, looking at him with near adoration.

"What shall we do now, Jade? The day is yours, I would spend it as you will. Do you wish to shop? Hear music? See a show? Perhaps see the library, or th..."

"There is a library?"

Seeing he had the young man's interest, Alonzo nodded. "A good one. And while you must be restrained, slaves are allowed, though you must not let anyone see you reading, of course."

"Of course."

"Still, there are ways around that, Jade. Leave it to me. Come, let us dress and seek food, then I shall show you a true wonder."

They made ready, and as they were leaving, the innkeeper came up to them.

"Your pardon, good sir, but we were concerned for your slave. Is he better?"

"He is much better, my thanks for your concern. It was but a momentary weakness caused by the excitement of the city."

"Ah, yes, that can easily happen, especially on a first visit. I am glad to hear he is well."

With a wave and a bow, the man walked away, and Alonzo turned to Alex.

"It seems you have made a good impression, young one."

Alex smiled at the praise, and they rode out together.

xx

Chapter Eleven

Alex was quiet as they rode, mind still focused on the crystals, and Alonzo would have worried, had it not been for the smile the slave wore, a deep look of contentment on his face that said he was more than well.

Consigning the thoughts of earlier to a very deep mental well, Alonzo instead paused them, pointing to a large building made of white stone, a huge rotunda gleaming from the top. It was several streets over yet, but easily visible.

"That is the library, Jade, and an excellent one. I have spent many days within its shelves."

"It's so big. There are books to fill such a building?" Alex looked in awe at the stone structure, and Alonzo smiled.

"Many times over, Jade. But this library holds more besides. You shall see, as soon as we have eaten. Come, I wish to share a favorite food vendor with you."

On the next street, Alonzo stopped his horse in front of a small wooden building.

"Here it is, Jade. They serve a roasted lamb here, done to perfection, with vegetables and a sauce, all of it on a thick bread. Delicious. That is, of course, should the same people still own this shop. It has been many years since I was here last, and I doubt they would remember me, did they see me. But enough talk. Come, Jade."

Going in, Alex was careful to keep his head down and remain silent, but his eyes looked around avidly. He'd never been inside the main room of a food seller's shop before, and he wished to satisfy his curiosity before he had to leave again. Oh, he'd been in shops that sold bread or the like, on errands, but not a place that served the food made there. That was very different. He followed Alonzo to a table, and when the man seated himself, Alex knelt down beside him.

A serving boy came up, smiling at Alonzo. "Greetings, my lord. What may we provide you this noon?"

"I wish to know first if the rules of this house remain the same. Is it still owned by Matthew and Tilde?" He pointed, unseen, to Alex, kneeling, head and eyes down. The serving boy gave a proud smile, nodding.

"Yes, my lord, my parents are still the owners. Slaves are permitted to eat fully at table if accompanied by an owner. He may be served in any manner you wish."

Alex didn't move, but his slight gasp wasn't missed by either the boy or Alonzo, both of whom smiled kindly down at the startled slave.

"In that case, give me a few moments, then return for my order, please."

"Of, course, sir." With a slight bow, the boy withdrew, and Alonzo reached out, tilting Alex's face up, looking at him kindly.

"Come, Jade. Take the bench across from me. You dine as a freeman would."

Swallowing hard, Alex barely whispered an acknowledgment to the command, clearly taken aback. But he rose, sliding onto the bench and placing his hands in his lap, head still bowed.

"Now, young one, no freeman sits that way. Sit as you do when at the master's table. Relax, Jade. The owners that I asked of? They are free people now, but they were slaves at Samstar Fields once. There will be no trouble. Look up and around."

"You are sure, my lord?" Alex bit his lip at the temerity of questioning, but couldn't help it. This was flatly unheard of in his experience.

Alonzo chuckled, knowing the cause for his doubt. "I am sure, Jade. You need not fear. Look up now, lad."

Taking a deep breath, Alex did so. Alonzo was smiling at him encouragingly, and Alex spent a long moment simply taking comfort from his face, before shyly letting his eyes roam the inside of the large room. There were others eating, and Alex saw that one young woman, sitting at a small table with an older man, was also collared.

Relaxing slightly, he took in the details. A blackened board over the bar showed the items available and the cost. The bar itself showed a long history of use, the huge slab of wood polished to a high sheen. It was a light, pleasant room, with a big window across the front, and bright yellow paint on the walls. A fireplace was at the end of the room, the fire within crackling merrily, and now that he was relaxed, Alex noticed the mouth watering smell coming from the kitchen area.

"Well, Jade? What think you?"

"It smells delicious, my lord. And...and I am thankful to you again, for giving me such a gift. I never dreamed of coming into such a place, much less eating in one. Are there many places like this, where slaves may partake with their masters?"

"Not many, no. There are a handful of such establishments in this city, but the number is growing. And now, it is time that we order, for the day passes."

He motioned, and the boy was there in an instant.

"We'll have two of the lamb rolls, a platter of the potatoes and two dark ales, one watered to half."

"Right away, my lord." The boy hesitated just a fraction, and Alonzo turned, looking at him more fully.

"What is it, child?"

"My lord, my parents, they are here, and the shop not overly busy. If...if you would like, I would be happy to give them your name."

"That would be most pleasant, my thanks for the offer. Tell them Alon— No, that was not my name then, your pardon. Tell them Proteus would be honored to see them once more."

With a bow the boy left, and Alex eyed Alonzo curiously.

"What goes on behind those verdant eyes, Jade?"

"Verdant?"

"Another word for green, a dark rich green, most lovely. It calls to mind the grass in springtime."

Alex blushed, not used to outright poetic statements about his looks. "Thank you, my lord. As for my thoughts, I wondered something, but felt it might be hurtful to ask. Impertinent at the least."

"I see. You have my leave to ask, Jade."

"You started to give your free name, then had to give your slave name instead. I know you are not troubled by speaking of your past as a slave. But, well, to say you were once a slave, to one that knows you only as a free man, does that not disturb you, my lord? To have a man look at you with respect and courtesy, and then to tell him you were a slave, does it not..."

"Shame me?"

"Yes, my lord. Does it not shame you? Would you not do anything to hide such a past, rather than see the way men look at you, once they know what you were?" Alex asked it in hushed tones, unable to quite believe he was voicing such thoughts.

He was relieved when Alonzo shook his head slightly. "Nay, Jade. I am not ashamed of my past as a slave. Why should I be? The very nature of my past relieves me of all burdens for its existence. I am proud of my past and all it taught me, of what I have overcome to be who and what I am today." The seneschal paused, and then motioned for Alex to lean forward. In a very soft whisper, he confessed, "No, Jade, but when I must admit to a man that I own others, that I am a master of some forty-eight slaves, I know a burning shame that nearly stops my tongue. To confess to owning children and old women, to having paid coin for human souls, that is something I keep as secret as I may. I am ashamed only of being a master."

Alex looked into the dark eyes, seeing the painful truth there. Alonzo was ashamed of being a master, hated it with every fiber of his being, possibly more than he'd hated being a slave. If anything could have shown Alex that Thomas' words of the plans of Lord Fox were true, he was looking at it now.

Wanting to comfort Alonzo, but mindful of where they were, he merely lowered his head to rest on Alonzo's hand laying on the table.

Alonzo's other hand settled briefly on top of Alex's head. "Thank you, Jade. Your compassion means much. Now, up, I would have you sit tall."

Obeying at once, Alex saw a man and a woman approaching their table, both wearing aprons and slightly nervous smiles. He quickly dropped his eyes, and Alonzo turned to see who was approaching. Standing, he held out his hand to the man.

"Matthew, I'm not sure you remember me..." It was as far as he got before he was swept off his feet and hugged tightly, even spun slightly. Alex tensed, prepared to defend his master, but he saw the smile, heard the laugh, and accepted that they meant no harm.

Alonzo was released, and now the woman was hugging him tightly. "Oh, Proteus, it's been an age!"

"It has indeed, Tilde. But my name is no longer Proteus." Alonzo's voice was warm, and showed no offense was taken by the use of his former name.

"That's right, we heard you were a seneschal now, but didn't catch your name." This was the man, standing back with an arm around his wife's shoulders, now that she'd released Alonzo.

"I am the Seneschal Alonzo de Signi, of Bluewoods Keep."

"You are most welcome here, my lord, and it is an honor to serve you." There was a nearly formal sound to the words, and the man made a half-bow, his wife a curtsey. Alonzo bowed back to them, and then they all began to laugh.

Pulling up chairs, they gathered around the table. Alonzo turned to Alex, and he saw that the slave was still sitting, head bowed politely, eyes down.

"This is Jade, less than half a year at Samstar Fields, and a favorite of the master."

Alex blushed, hearing himself described so, and moved to kneel in greeting.

"Hello, Jade." The man's hand was in front of Alex, stopping him, and extended to shake. Alex chanced looking up, eyes making a swift check of the room, before flitting up to Alonzo.

"It is permitted, Jade, in this place, with these people. They served with me at Samstar Fields, and they, too, once belonged to the master."

Swallowing hard, Alex trustingly took the hand extended, and deliberately raised his eyes. "My lord, my lady."

They smiled at him kindly, and the man spoke first. "I am Matthew, this is my wife, Tilde, this is our shop. The young man that served you is our son, Josiah, and if I am not much mistaken, he comes now, bearing your food."

Alex saw that the boy was approaching, a laden tray in his hands. Setting it down on the table, the youth set one plate in front of Alonzo, and the other in front of Alex. The platter of potatoes went in the middle, and one mug was held up.

"The watered ale?" Alonzo pointed to Alex, and the boy set it down in front of him, placing the other ale in front of Alonzo. He set the forks to either side, and a tiny dish of salt, then removed the tray. "May I get you anything else?"

Alonzo looked at the food delightedly. "No, thank you, I am most content with this. I've missed your lamb rolls, Tilde, and your ale, Matthew."

"And we have missed you, Pr— Alonzo."

"Proteus does not offend, Tilde, you may call me either." He smiled at the woman, and Alex saw the slight pain in her blue eyes.

"Nay, I never use a man's slave name when I can do otherwise. I'll learn Alonzo, soon enough."

"Are you in town long, Alonzo?" Matthew asked this, watching as Alonzo took a sip of the ale.

"Matthew, your ale is even more wonderful than I remembered." Matthew smiled at the praise, and sat back in his chair. Alonzo began rolling up the bread around the lamb and vegetables. "I leave tonight, or tomorrow morn at latest. This will be my only chance to visit."

Alex had watched carefully, and now Alonzo motioned with his head toward Alex's plate. Rolling the bread up with only a slight awkwardness, Alex obeyed the silent command, taking a bite at the same time Alonzo did.

His face must have shown his delight, for Tilde began to smile shyly. Alonzo made a sound Alex had only heard him make in the bedroom.

"Oh, gods, woman, that is heavenly. I have craved this, and no matter how often my cook tries, the results are never quite right. I suspect there is a secret ingredient you have not told me that makes the difference."

"That would be true, Alonzo. It is the same ingredient I forgot to tell Leona, when I left." Looking completely unrepentant, Tilde beamed. She turned to Alex, asking quietly, "And you, lad, what do you think?"

"It is very good, my lady. I've not had anything that made the vegetables taste so good before." He blushed as soon as he said it, but she only smiled at him brightly.

"Thank you, Jade. My son used to say the same, that's quite the compliment." Alex returned the smile bravely, and Matthew eyed him approvingly, before turning the conversation to Samstar Fields, and those they'd known when slaves there.

The talk flowed easily among the three, and Alex listened avidly, yet there was a part of him that felt a deep pang of longing. These people, these three people had all been slaves for the master, and yet here they sat, at ease with their freedom, having made new lives. It could happen, he could earn his freedom and be released... but no. No, he could not, because his release papers would be false, just as his purchase papers had been false. His true owner would be out there still, and still in possession of Alex's real papers, the ones that swore him a slave for life.

For an instant, the rage against all that had happened to him reared up, and it was only when he heard a cracking sound and felt Alonzo's fingers gently close over his left hand, that Alex realized he'd broken the wooden shaft of the fork in his anger.

Eyes huge, he looked up at the seneschal, seeing only compassion, and then to the faces of Matthew and Tilde. Again, he found only concern, and even as his face heated with shame, Alex knew he would not suffer more than had he done this at the master's table. Still, he felt the familiar fear wrap around his throat, and he clenched his fists.

"My lords, my lady, I—I broke my fork. I was thinking of my past, and I grew angry. I am most sorry, for both my lack of control and the damage I have done."

Alonzo looked at Alex reassuringly. "Your confession does you much credit, Jade." He turned to his old friends, trusting that the lessons learned from the master had not been forgotten. "Well, my friends, what say you of his offense?"

"Mayhap young Jade can think of some amends?" Matthew offered it softly, seeing that the slave was clearly upset and more than a little frightened. He also sensed the trust Alex was trying to show, and was moved by it.

Looking around to see that he would not be overheard, Alex nodded, swallowing hard. "I have money, I will pay for the fork gladly, and should I not have enough money, I can mayhap do you some labor while I am here. Or...or, i—if..." Alex trailed off, the idea of being punished by strangers too much for him. Tears stung his eyes, and he tried to blink them back, ashamed already.

"Oh, Jade, do not fret so!" Tilde was looking at him with pity, and now she glared at Matthew and Alonzo both. "Bullies, the pair of you! It's an old fork, Jade, the wood splits easy in them sometimes, and you did nothing from malice. Nay, lad, you need make no amends. 'twas a little thing, and forgotten already." She took the fork from his hand, pocketing it and motioning to Josiah to bring a new one.

"Tilde speaks true, Jade, we need no amends. I merely wished you to know that you would suffer naught from us. Had Alonzo not kicked me under the table, I'd have said as much right off."

Alex looked up, confusion and a touch of hurt in his still damp eyes.

"You wonder why I would do such, Jade, do you not?"

"Aye, my lord."

"There was no cruelty on my part, not without purpose. I am charged with teaching you as the master would, and he never lets an opportunity for instruction pass. I needed to see what you would do, in this safe setting, had I not been present. Were you a free man, Jade, and you broke such, your offers of restitution would have been more than adequate. I wished to know how grave you found your own offense, how merciful you could be with yourself. You did well, Jade. Very well. The master will be pleased, as am I."

Alex thought this through, nodding as he saw the wisdom. It was a long way from where he'd been at the beginning of his time with the master. The thought of offering himself up for a beating over something so simple had not occurred to him until he'd offered two other things, and Alex realized he was beginning to think of himself as a man, and not an animal or a thing.

"Thank you, all of you. Your kindness and mercy are humbly received."

"Very welcome, little Jade. Very welcome." Alonzo reached out, squeezing his hand, and Alex gave a slight, shuddering sigh of relief. There was a chime from the streets, signaling the hour.

Matthew and Tilde stood, sending a final smile to Alex before turning to Alonzo. "I regret we must get back to the kitchens, Alonzo. We've a new cook we're training and the boy still needs supervision. It was wonderful to see you again. Please give our regards to the master, won't you?"

"I shall indeed. He will be sorry he could not see you himself."

"Jade, it was nice to meet you. We wish you a good life."

"Thank you." He shook hands with the man, smiled at the woman, and realized there was more he longed to say. But he was afraid, and so the moment passed, as they turned back to Alonzo who hugged them both, and they turned to leave. "My lord and lady?"Alex, unable to stand the thought of being a coward, made himself speak.

"Yes, young Jade?"

"I—I... forgive me, but I only wanted to say thank you. For...for letting me..." He looked down at the meal, at his place at the table, and swallowed hard, unable to finish the thought out loud.

A gentle hand touched his arm, and he looked up into the soft blue eyes of Tilde.

"You are most welcome, Jade." Knowing he'd been understood, Alex nodded, and they turned, leaving.

Alonzo was watching him with great pride, but the seneschal wisely said nothing, merely finished his meal. "Come, little Jade, eat up, I have a library to show you."

"Yes, Alonzo." Turning back to his food, Alex ate quickly, feeling very good about himself.

xx

When they'd eaten, Alonzo led them outside and suggested they walk for a few moments before riding further. Alex was a pace behind him, taking advantage of the slower pace of walking to look around. He stared avidly, not paying much attention to where he was going, too busy soaking up his surroundings.

At one point, Alonzo turned to the right, and Alex, busy looking elsewhere, failed to notice at first. When he did, he looked around in a growing panic, feeling the fear begin to swallow him immediately.

"Jade!" The sharp sound of his name, coming from just a few yards behind him, drew his eyes to the side street Alonzo had taken. The man himself was standing there, hands on his hips, a frown on his face, visibly displeased.

Alex had never seen anything so welcome in his life. He literally ran to the seneschal, throwing his arms around the man's neck.

Feeling the tremble, Alonzo realized that the young slave had been terrified, just in the few moments before Alonzo had noticed him missing. Stroking a hand up and down the lean back, making comforting noises, Alonzo turned them more into the alleyway and out of the main street.

"All is well, Jade, hush, little one, all is well." Alex, his composure returning rapidly, nodded against the seneschal's chest, his breathing returning to normal already. Sensing this, Alonzo kept a hold on him, but eased him back enough to look into Alex's face, eyes loving, if stern. "What happened, Jade?"

"I wasn't paying attention, my lord. I—I was looking at the sellers and such. I did not see you turn, my lord, I'm sorry."

Alonzo nodded thoughtfully, kissing Alex on the forehead. "Jade, you must not lose track of me. You must not. If you cannot follow without risk of being lost, then we shall head back to the inn now. I know there is much to see, but you cannot chance becoming lost, Jade, it is simply too risky. Is that understood?"

The scolding had the usual effect, and Alex swallowed hard at the lump in his throat. "Yes, my lord."

"Jade, I am sorry to threaten so, but the matter of your safety I take very seriously. You will not forget to pay attention to where I am and where I go, is that clear, Jade?"

Alex, hating that he'd so forcibly reminded Alonzo of his role as master, sniffled but forced himself to answer. "It is clear, my lord."

Alonzo nodded and reached out, pressing a light kiss to the forehead. Alex couldn't help himself, he wrapped his arms tightly around Alonzo's neck, clinging slightly.

"I'm sorry, my lord."

"You've been chastised, Jade, it's forgotten."

"No, Alonzo. I mean to say that I am sorry I got lost, but I am most sorry for making you have to scold me, knowing how you hate being the master."

Alonzo sighed, holding Alex tightly. "Oh, Jade, you are determined that I shall lose my entire heart to you." A chuckle followed this cryptic statement, and then Alonzo was easing him back. "You are not to worry about such things, my sweet. Not in the least. And now come, we are nearly there, and I do wish to show you the library."

"Yes, Alonzo."

With a smile and a wink, Alonzo led him the rest of the way, noticing that while Alex could not help but look around, he always made sure to pay attention to the seneschal. Soon, they were tying up their horses at the side of the huge building.

Alonzo drew out his leash, fastening it quickly, and then began leading him up the many stairs, instructing as he did so.

"Once we are inside, there is to be no talking. You are expected to remain completely silent, and that means to direct questions also. You may gesture, nod, shake, what have you, but you are not to speak. Do so and I will have no choice but to punish you right then and there, Jade. I shall have no other option, do we not wish you more trouble."

"Yes, my lord."

"In addition, while you may handle and fetch and carry books, you are not seem as though you are reading, is that clear as well? I need not tell you it would be best, did no one see you do so. I have a way around that, Jade, but you will need to be careful."

"I understand, Alonzo."

"Good." They were at the doors now, and Alonzo paused them. "One more thing, Jade." When Alex looked at him expectantly, Alonzo brushed a kiss across the full mouth. "Have fun, my sweet, and enjoy. You are expected to look around in wonder, none will think ill of that. It is safe to be awestruck."

Alex gave him a brilliant smile, and then they were opening the doors, and stepping into the building.

xx

Alonzo gave Alex a moment, watching as the slave looked in every direction, but especially up. The dome of the rotunda was made of glass, hundreds of the biggest panes Alex had ever seen. He'd noticed the bright reflection from a distance, but had assumed the sun glinted off metal, unable to conceive of so much glass. It was necessary, of course, to supplement the light, and now as Alex took in the stained glass at the base, the colors streaming down onto the white marble floors, the slave looked as though he'd seen an image of heaven.

"Goddess!" The reverent whisper was nearly silent, yet Alonzo gave the leash a light jerk. When Alex looked over, Alonzo put a finger across his lips in stern warning and looked pointedly at the door.

Alex nodded, ducking his head, and followed Alonzo further into the room. There were shelves all around the outer walls, with books and scrolls and vellums of all sorts. Alex's mind boggled at the sight of so many written things, such wealth filling the huge space.

Alonzo led him to a long counter across from the door, where a man wearing priest's robes stood.

"A private reading room, for the space of an hour."

"Of course, sir. If you will sign the ledger and deposit two pewters, I will give you the key."

Alonzo did so, and soon they were walking toward a small door that made up one corner. Opening it, Alonzo stood back, pulling Alex in after him and then shutting the door, locking it again behind him.

It was a small room, cozy and narrow, but with a table and chair and a cot of pillows.

"You may speak in here, Jade, but a whisper only. And it is in here that you will read and look at the books safely. I can hire the room for one hour only, they are much in demand, so now tell me, sweet, could you have a book explain about anything, anything at all, what would you know?"

Alex thought for a moment, but the answer came to him simply enough. "I would know of my Goddess. I would know her story, the better to show her my thankfulness for her many blessings. And I would know of my fairy blood, whence it comes, what it means. And I would know the land I am in, for I have little sure reckoning of where we are." He paused a moment, saying softly, "If you cannot grant that last wish, my lord, I will understand." Slaves were forbidden maps, naturally enough, for while words might escape a man, the land seldom did. A child could guess a river when seen on parchment.

Alonzo said nothing, only quickly scribbled a small list and handed it to Jade. "Take this to the counter where I paid for the room and hand it to the man there. Remember, no sound, sweet, none, and do not betray your knowledge of letters by any act. Do you tilt your head to see the letters better, it will be suspect, do you see a book on my list, and the man insist we do not have it when it lies in plain view, do not argue with your eyes. In fact, it would be better, did you keep your eyes down as much as possible. Be the most humble slave imaginable, Jade, and then when you return, I shall grant you what I may in recompense."

Alex nodded, smiling at the seneschal, then took a deep breath and put the handle of his leash into his mouth, a sign that his owner was available, and walked out the door, eyes down on the floor. He looked up just enough to manage, and handed the slip over to a man he'd seen no higher up than the chest. Following the robe, Alex accepted an armful of books, some seven, and he relished the feel of them in his arms.

"Did your master want a book of maps or a history?" The note had clearly requested maps, but Jade only made an apologetic shrug and cringed slightly, as though expecting a blow. The monk sighed, and put one of each into Jade's arms. "That's it then, go back to your master, and mind you go straight there."

Alex nodded, bowing, but felt a moment's panic. There were so many twists and turns, he'd lost track of where he was in the building. The monk, seeing this, spoke softly. "Lost?"

Alex nodded, and the man spoke even more softly. "You simply turn at the rack marked Ancient Songs, your master's room is the first on the left."

Alex, long used to hearing a trap in another man's voice, felt himself quiver. The monk was trying to trap him. Swallowing his anger and hurt at the malice, Alex only shrugged again helplessly, looking around in confusion, then dropping to one knee.

"Oh, very well." The man snatched the leash handle from Alex, and yanked him forward. He continued to yank and pull needlessly at the leash until they reached the door. A knock, and Alonzo opened it. "Your slave has your books, my lord. If there's nothing else?"

"There is but one thing." Alonzo's voice was very cool, and Alex noted the hardness in it.

"Yes, my lord?"

"You can explain to me why my slave's mouth is bleeding, and why his neck is reddened. And you can explain it with all haste and honesty."

The monk turned, looking at Alex, seeing the thin trickle of blood that was trailing down the side of Alex's mouth and off his chin. When he'd snatched the leash handle, he'd caught Jade's lip on his tooth, and cut it without noticing. Alex, hands full of the books, had wiped the smear onto his shoulder, not wanting to risk bleeding on the books.

"I—I... that is, the leash must have...um, a tangle or...or his reluctance to follow..."

Alonzo's eyes were glittering blackly, and now he stepped over to the monk. "If you wish to continue serving your god on this earth and not more directly, I would suggest you find me a cold wet cloth, clean, and fetch it here with all your speed. I do not tolerate my things being used carelessly, and that includes my slaves. Go."

The monk bowed and turned, all but running from the room. When he'd gone, Alonzo took the books from Alex, setting them on the table, then looked at the cut and then the pale neck. There were red marks still, and doubtless one or two would bruise.

"My apologies, Jade, had I any idea you would be at risk for such maltreatment, I would not have sent you out. The monks are generally kind to slaves."

Alonzo hugged him for a moment, pulling back only when the door opened. The monk stood there, a bowl of water and a cloth in his hands. He put both down on the table, and Alonzo immediately wet the cloth. He studied the monk's robes intently as he squeezed out the excess.

"Tell me, good monk, your order believes in the mortification of the flesh, does it not?"

"We do, my lord."

"Then I am sure, when I return tomorrow, I shall find your back well striped for your abuse of a lower creature, shall I not? Will you not feel compelled, by duty, to atone for this sin, as well as your damage of my property? Surely guilt will cause you to lay on at least six with your flail. Is that not what your abbot, should I question him, recommend?" Alonzo's voice was casual, extremely casual, as he bathed Alex's lip and neck, but Alex heard the threats clearly, and closed his eyes so as not to betray his thoughts.

The monk, also hearing plainly what was not being said, looked ill, but only nodded. "Yes, my lord. I shall lay on six this even, after prayers. I shall be striped on the morrow."

"I thought as much. Thank you for your service, you are dismissed." Alonzo did not even look up, merely passed the bowl and cloth over and reached for the first book. The monk let himself out the door, shutting it firmly behind him.

"Alonzo?"

"Yes, Jade?"

"I have never had another punished for treatment of me. I am not entirely sure that I care for the feeling." Alex had a complicated mix of emotions on his face, and Alonzo nodded.

"Doubtless. You are a kind, forgiving soul, sweet. But I will tell you something that will, perhaps, make you feel better. He was not punished out of simple vengeance for you. I wish to see he abuses no other slaves, as he did you today. I would have done no more than berate him for ill treating you. Anything more, for something this slight, would have been suspect. But a whipping, delivered by his own hand, mind, in accordance with vows he has already agreed to take, might give him pause before treating the next slave ill."

Alex did feel some relief at this, and nodded to show as much to Alonzo, who had raised the volume of common mythos, and found the appropriate section of text. He scanned it briefly, before saying softly, "Jade, I will gladly allow you to read this for yourself. But there are many words of some length here, and even this short overview contains passages a beginning reader might find difficult. With your consent, I will read this aloud to you instead. It will make the most of our time, as well as give you the information in a way suited to your gifts. Will that suffice for you?"

"I would be most grateful, Alonzo. Thank you, my lord." So decided, Alonzo took a seat on the couch, Alex reclining on the floor at his feet.

The dark, rich voice spoke softly, quickly, not reading for effect, but simply trying to pass along the maximum amount of information in the least amount of time.

"The Goddess Feline: An Overview of Basiks, Saharet, and Unmeyeir, the Three Sacred Cats in Image and Writings, and Their Common History."

Alex wasn't really surprised that the Goddess had more than one name, but he knew which version he was expected to follow in his own worship.

"Alonzo, I follow Saharet, that is the form of the Goddess as I know her."

Glad to know he could skip a full two chapters, Alonzo nodded. "I shall impart the overview's relevant portions, and then seek out that manifestation only in the text."

"The Goddess Saharet is the oldest of the three sects, and is believed to be the origin of the sacred feline religions. It was within the ancient city of Casakim that the very first images of men kneeling at the feet of a cat-like figure, obviously in the guise of worship, may be found. The walls of the cave are believed to show the origins of this most ancient religion, and indeed, many scholars feel the cave itself was used for the very first ceremonies celebrating the divine female embodied within feline form."

Alonzo turned the book, showing Alex the heavy pen drawing of the cave wall, with its illustration of some four men kneeling face down in front of what could only be a small, ordinary looking cat. It was a rough, crude sketch, and only minimalist in terms of line, but Alex gasped when he saw it, and immediately lowered both his head and eyes.

"It is too bright for me, my lord. Too strong."

Looking from the reverent slave to the drawing reproduced by quill in the book, Alonzo could only shake his head. To him, it was nothing more than stick figures, and poorly drawn ones at that. Still, it was not his place to judge. Taking a deep breath, Alonzo continued.

"The religion is based on a simple, yet baffling series of presumptions. The first of these is that she, the Goddess Saharet, is not alone in the world. Other gods may be acknowledged, even worshipped, without recrimination. Nor does the Goddess lay any claim to the creation of either world or mankind. The Goddess does not fortend the end of existence, either. In fact, the Goddess Saharet is alone in that, among the common pantheon, she appears to have no interest in making her presence known by either word or deed.

"Instead, her followers say that she is, by and large, a mere observer to this place and its inhabitants. Whether or not these observations have a higher purpose, or whether they are given to a more powerful being in turn, is not addressed, nor more shockingly, is it seen as relevant by her worshippers.

"She exists, she is here, and her purposes are her own, a mystery not to be solved, nor even pondered by those she worships. The Goddess simply is, to the proponents of her religion, and must be accepted on that level, for true worship to be possible.

"That this is extremely difficult to do in fact, if not in theory, seems readily obvious. But for those fortunate worshippers who manage to embrace and accept the Goddess in this deceptively simple and forward fashion, there is a reward. Not eternal life, that anyone can tell, nor youth, nor wealth, though it might be all of these. No, the reward is as mysterious as the Goddess' original and true purpose.

"In exchange for genuine belief and acceptance, without question, the Goddess will grant intercession. Small, daily intercessions, the nature of which appears at best to simplify the daily life of the chosen supplicant, is the most common form of reward. The Goddess will help the seeker find what is sought, will help the answers to questions of choice and purpose to be made clear, and so on.

"The biggest reward, however, is sometimes never recognized as such. For it is said, that in her wisdom, the Goddess will choose for the human one main intercession, that will forever change the life of the supplicant. It might be something as simple as making a man turn left instead of right at a given crossroads, and thus find that his path now crosses with a soulmate. It might be as grand as saving the human from death in a dramatic fashion, or making the transition from one life to the next possible.

"What separates the Goddess from other gods in this respect, is that the human has no control whatsoever in the choosing of their main intercession. The Goddess will, in her own time and manner, select the intercession on behalf of her worshipper.

"It is important to note that once the human has been granted the intercession, the Goddess will cease to appear to that human, in feline form. It is expected that her absence signifies an end to that human's need of her. Worshippers who claim to have received such an intercession say that, while the love and caring guidance of Saharet continues unabated for life, the exchange of worship and favor are completed. The human is thus freed from obligation to the Goddess, without loss of faith, benefit or affection, which further makes this Goddess unusual among the larger, high religions.

"In contrast to ancient Greek religions, for example..."

"Stop, please." Alex's voice was whisper soft, but his face was calm, almost neutral. Alonzo, having heard the faint words, paused, looking carefully at the slave. He said nothing, he could see the young man's eyes were whirling with thought, and Alonzo could all but watch Alex's thoughts as they scrolled past those dark green windows.

Finally, after a good five minutes, Alex looked up at Alonzo.

"I have heard enough, Alonzo. I need no more. I would hear of my fairy blood now, if your voice will hold and you are not discomfitted."

"No, I am fine, little one. I am, however, concerned for you. Are you troubled by what you have heard?"

Alex shook his head, a small, yet soul deep smile appearing at his face. "No, my lord. If anything, I am relieved. My path is clear for me now, I see the Goddess' will for my life as never before. Thank you, Alonzo, sincerely and on behalf of the Goddess, as well. But I may say no more, not yet. I will reveal all, in time, if I may."

"Very well." Alonzo put down the book and sorted through the short stack, finding the one he wanted. Opening it with some dread, he steeled himself to explore that part of himself he'd always shunned. His fairy blood. He knew no more than anyone else, blooded or not, would know, and he liked it that way. With a neutral face, he lifted the tome, only to be stopped by a hand on the book.

"I will read this for myself, Alonzo. I will whisper it, so it shall remain in my memory. May I?"

Alonzo, searching the handsome face, found no well intended deceit, and thus handed the book over gladly. He stretched out on the floor, where he was always more comfortable, and hid a grin as he watched Alex take the couch, stretching out among the pillows like the cat he worshipped. Reading a bit more of the Goddess book, Alonzo lost himself for several minutes before looking up to check on the slave.There was a small prism light set into the wall and another in the ceiling, like the type used on ships to cast light below decks, and a rainbow's edge of light played across Alex's face, not noticeable to him as more than sunlight, but from Alonzo's view, the colors banded his forehead.

Alonzo's brow furrowed, and he looked at the man's forehead more closely. There was something wrong, something different, it tickled the edge of his awareness, but Alonzo couldn't quite bring it into the center. Shrugging it off as a trick of the light, Alonzo turned back, then his head shot back around again. That was it, that was what was wrong, the light on Alex's forehead...

The colors of the rainbow were out of order where they touched his skin.

Not merely inverted, that could be explained by a basic understanding of refraction, which Alonzo had. But nothing could explain a ban that began in the right order, jumbled on Alex's forehead, and then resumed their normal rank once past it.

Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet; Alonzo had been taught the order and their cause at university. It wasn't a suggested order, it was a law of nature, a pure fact. Which was why he now stared, bewildered, at the blue, red, green, orange, indigo, yellow and violet band across Alex's forehead.

"My lord? What have I done for you to look at me so?" Alex's voice sounded small and frightened, not just startled, but honestly frightened, and broke through Alonzo's shock.

Blinking, the seneschal dropped his gaze and saw that the slave was tensed, cringing, eyes nearly closed and shoulders hunched.

Shaking his head to clear it, Alonzo made his face a study in gentle acceptance. "Jade, sweet. You have done nothing, my apologies. Please, Jade, do not be frightened of me."

Alex, having glanced up from his reading to ask for help with a word, had caught Alonzo staring at him with revulsion and horror. It had been the look clergy reserved for those found possessed of demons, and Alex had felt the fear claim him instantly. Now, hearing the soothing voice, Alex took a deep breath and forced himself to raise his eyes.

He saw the open acceptance of Alonzo's features, the warmth back in the black eyes. The seneschal was holding out his arms, and now Alex moved into them as quickly as possible.

"I'm sorry, my lord, whatever I did, I swear, I will do no such again, ever, only please, do not look at me so..."

"Oh, Jade, sweet little Jade, I am so sorry. You did nothing wrong, Jade, not a single thing, my look had naught to do with you. There was but a trick of the light that played across you as you read, and it startled me greatly for a moment, nothing more. It was that moment you saw. I swear to you, Jade, I feel nothing but the same love and care for you as I did before we entered this place."

That much was the truth, if what he'd spoken before was somewhat the lie, and Alonzo felt the boy relax slightly within his embrace.

"I did not mean to frighten you, Jade, and I am sorry for having done so. I was so taken aback... well, suffice it to say you have my apologies."

Alex nodded, not wanting to speak, instead merely holding gratefully onto Alonzo's lean form.

After several minutes, Alonzo spared a glance at his watch, biting his lip at the time. They had scare fifteen minutes left. Rubbing a hand up and down the slender back, he asked the young man softly if he was better.

"I am fine, Alonzo. It...it was only a moment's fright, for me as well. I acted quite the babe, my apologies." To his surprise, a very light spank landed on his rear. Alex eased back, looking up into loving, yet slightly stern features.

"You did not act the babe, Jade. You were frightened, that is nothing to be ashamed of, understood?"

"Yes, Alonzo." Quietly grateful for the reassurance of the mild scold and symbolic tap, Alex gave a small smile, then reached up and kissed Alonzo, pressing his mouth needfully against the seneschal's own.

The kiss was returned, with interest, but just as Alonzo was mentally placing a few of the nearby couch cushions under Alex's handsome hips, he caught sight of the watch again. Swearing softly, Alonzo gently released the slave.

"I look forward to continuing that conversation once we are back at the inn. However," and now he motioned to the watch, seeing Alex's slightly frustrated look shift to reluctant understanding, "I had best show you the map, and quickly."

Standing, Alonzo found and opened the book to the correct page. It was no crude drawing this time, but a finely crafted and well drawn map, no less than three colors having been used to sketch the kingdom.

"Right, I will go over this quickly, Jade. This is our kingdom, Exeland. That river you see drawn in blue, is the river that passes through Crystal Springs. It flows diagonally through the kingdom, with Crystal Springs thus, in the center of the kingdom. Samstar Fields lies north and to the west, here."Alonzo pointed to the large, roughly rectangular shape that took up the entire northwest corner of the kingdom. In the center of it was a dot, and it was this dot that Alonzo gestured to.

"What is that rectangle around us?"

Alonzo grinned. "That, dear Jade, is the part of the kingdom of Exeland openly owned and controlled by Lord Fox. It is not the extent of his holdings, mind you, but it is the part the crown knows, and nearly too large for that." There was a slightly worried look to Alonzo's face, and a quick glance at the rest of the map told Alex why.

"He controls the most of the land in this kingdom, does he not? I mean, his rectangle is not the largest, but the mountains here, and the lakes below, those are not tillable, nor as individually prosperous as his smaller square. And he lies in a corner, with borders on two other kingdoms. That makes him politically important as well, does it not?"

Alonzo looked very pleased, and indeed, pressed a quick kiss to the man's forehead. "And that, my very smart Jade, is part of why slaves are not allowed maps." He winked and went back to showing the features. "The capital lies here, some two days ride further south and east. The King's actual residence castle is nestled here, within the northeastern mountain ranges, for obvious reasons, but court is held in Diem Castle, and the surrounding sprawl in the southwestern corner, with no border save the sea. Diem Castle, of course, translates as the Day Castle, and was thus named because holding court there allowed for easier access by all, and was thus designated as the day residence for the king."

"Alonzo? Where is Bluewoods Keep?"

"My keep is here." He pointed to a series of small islands off the northeastern most part of the kingdom. "It is some ten days by horseback, do I travel alone, which I did this time, to the dismay of those back home. It was my first and last time to do such, I fear."

"Why? Was it not safe?"

Alex saw that Alonzo was blushing, and he couldn't help but grin as the man grumbled slightly, "I thought so, but the master and Leona both seem to disagree with my evaluation. They took turns scolding me upon my arrival and only stopped when I promised to show myself more careful in the future."

Alex couldn't help a slight chuckle, and Alonzo joined him before turning the page. "Here is a map of our Exeland, and the kingdoms surrounding it. To the left, the kingdom of Oilion, and above, the kingdom of Jedgar." Alex looked at the map closely, and suddenly saw what he was looking for. His former master's lands, a jagged, sprawling oblong of land on the border of Exeland and Oilion, with his lands making up nearly the bottom third of Oilion. Alex, seeing that he had, indeed, crossed over the border, relaxed a bit. His former master's estates were far from Samstar Fields, but the top most edge of them were very close to the lowest edge of Lord Fox's lands. Close enough to explain why his former master had always been so jealous of Lord Fox, and eager for any news of him.

Alonzo, too, was studying, but his text was the slave before him. The look on the slave's face when he'd seen the lands of Oilion merely confirmed what Alonzo already suspected, if confirmation had been necessary. Sighing, Alonzo covered his upset at the situation by gathering his watch.

"Our time is up, Jade. The monks shall be here any moment. Quickly, on the floor, on your stomach, and feign sleep. It is your best alibi. I shall recline, as well."

Alex swiftly took his place, lying on the warm woolen rug that blanketed the stone floor in this room. Alonzo gathered a few of the books, sprawled on the couch with them cast casually beside him, and propped his feet on Alex's back, crossing his boots at the ankle.

"Is that tolerable?"

"It's fine, Alonzo."

"Good. Not a word, not even a sound that could be taken as a word, until we are outside again."

Alex nodded and closed his eyes, feigning sleep. It had been a common practice for him, not so long ago, and he appeared to be genuinely napping when the door opened, admitting a monk.

"My lord, I am come for your key, the hour being up. You are welcome, of course, to continue your reading in the public areas."

"No, thank you, I am finished with these for the time. I will look about though. Shall I have my slave carry the books for you?"

"That is not necessary, my lord, though I thank you."

"Very well, here is your key, and my thanks." Alonzo handed it over, and used one boot to nudge Alex's rear. "Up, lazy, get up. I do not require your pleasant dreaming." It wasn't harsh, but was impatient, and Alex immediately moved to stand, head bowed, hands clasped behind his back. "Tell me, good monk, what would you do with a slave that slept while on his duty?" Alonzo saw that the monk, an older man in his mid century this time, looked gently at Alex.

"My lord, I must tell you, the room is sun-warmed and comfortable, the rug thick and the peaceful quiet deep in this room. Were I a slave, I could not help but drowse either, so I would hope my master would prove the value of his learning, and be merciful to the dog that but lies dreaming of the next hunt with his master."

It was a good answer, and Alonzo smiled warmly at the monk, looking happily at the man. "That is a very good answer, and shows easily the value of your own learning. Here, for your favorite charity, good sir." Alonzo handed out a silver, and the monk beamed.

"You are most kind, my lord. The orphans will be most grateful. They shall have meat for a fortnight."

Alonzo handed over a gold and spoke softly, "And for the winter." Turning, waving away the man's stammering thanks, Alonzo took Alex's leash in his hand and led him out into the main room.

He carefully refused to meet Alex's eyes until they were standing near a sculpture, all but hidden behind the huge stone carving. When he did, Alonzo saw that the green was smiling, and smiled back.

"Look about as we stroll, Jade, but at the art work only. I shall tap your arm when I wish you to raise your eyes."

Alex nodded, seeing the sense in this, and Alonzo led him around the huge vestibule, pausing them at art works, paintings, sculptures, tapestries and illuminations that took his breath away.

It was these that captured Alex's eyes the most, and since it was permitted for slaves to stare at the art works, Alonzo allowed him to look his fill. The amazing color and brilliant shapes, so intricate and delicate, yet bold and sure, filled Alex with wonder, and a thousand questions leapt to his lips. Finally, when he could stand it no longer, Alex knelt, in desperation.

"Jade, are you ill?" Alex shook his head, and Alonzo spoke again. "Do you need the chamber?" Another shake, and Alonzo, frustrated, snapped his fingers and motioned Alex toward the door. "Come. We shall step outside and you will tell me what you need." At Alex's brilliant smile, Alonzo paused. "You wish to leave?"

A nod, and Alonzo chuckled, leading him toward the door. Once they were outside, Alonzo faced him.

"You will now please explain to me why we are out here."

"I had too many questions, Alonzo. It was maddening to have such desire to know, and be unable to ask. I was afraid that I would forget, and blurt out my curiosity, did we see any more. I am sorry, lord, if I caused you to end your visit over soon. You could tie me out here and return." Alex motioned with his head to a low row of rings set into the stone wall of the building. At least four slaves were sitting there already, obviously waiting for masters to return.

"No, Jade, I am finished. That visit was for you, though I found it pleasant as well. But now the afternoon grows nigh, and I would tell you something. We are staying another night, Jade. I asked leave of Lord Fox to keep you two nights, did the first one go well. I did not tell you this before, because I wanted you to feel no pressure, knowing we had another night and morning to get through."

"We have the time as ours? You need do no more work?"

"My work is finished, was yesterday, Jade. This is simply for pleasure. The time is ours. And I wish to spend it spoiling you, pretty one."

Alex felt the blush, but he couldn't help but smile, too. "You are too good to me, my lord. You will return me far above my station. The master shall have to train me all over again."

Alonzo chuckled, then reached out, kissing Alex squarely on the mouth. "Somehow I doubt he would mind, Jade. But come, I have another place to show you."

"Yes, my lord." Alex followed him to the horses, and soon they were trotting leisurely down the street.

xx

At Samstar Fields, Sable was just putting the last of his day's papers away when he sensed a presence in the doorway. To his surprise, Danally stood there, eyeing him politely but with purpose. Not quite sure what to do, Sable gave a slight nod.

"Enter."

The cat strolled in and lightly leapt upon the desk, her gaze returning immediately to the stabler. Looking around furtively, wanting to ensure that no one was about to witness his departure from reason, Sable spoke quietly.

"You wanted something?"

A dip of the furred head, and Sable continued, darting another glance at the door.

"Something to do with Jade?"

The blue eyes clearly showed this was not the right answer, and he tried again.

"The master?"

Again, nothing.

"Me?" At the dip of the head, Sable felt his brows draw together. "What could you possibly wish with me?"

The cat mayrowed and looked toward his rooms.

"Something within my chambers? Shall...shall I follow you?"

A pleased sound of feline assent, and she gracefully launched herself off the desktop and into his room. Following, calling himself the worst possible type of idiot for doing so, Sable saw that the cat was waiting at the door of his bedroom. He followed her in and was instantly curious when she went to his smallest chest, the one with his few personal effects from his life before. Danally seated herself in front of it, tapping the lock imperiously.

Sighing, not sure whether to be annoyed or not, Sable obligingly unlocked the trunk and opened it. Danally reached in and began pawing a single paper in particular. He saw that the cat looked concerned almost, and that her eyes were very serious.

Taking out the paper, he found it was the only bit of the original ownership papers he had, just a scrap of the front descriptor, with his name and the name of the first man ever to own him. Putting it down on the floor, ignoring the feelings it evoked, Sable watched as the cat pawed the man's name.

"Him? This is about him?" A fast sound of assent, and then she was pawing the pocket where he kept his watch. Pulling it out, Sable opened it, and the cat touched the four. Then she touched the name on the paper and went to his window, the one that looked out onto the road leading to Samstar. Placing one paw on the glass, she mayrowed loudly and desperately, then came back and tapped the name and the watch again, on the four.

Sable, despite his lack of genuine belief, could reach only one conclusion, if one discounted the idea that both he and the cat were quite mad.

"This man, he is coming to Samstar Fields, at four o'clock this afternoon?"

The cat's face seemed to almost sag with relief, and she nodded vigorously, putting a paw lightly on his hand, before leaving the room.

Startled by the touch, as well as by the implications of all she was saying, Sable looked at his watch again. Two twenty. Swearing out loud, Sable got up, put the paper away and relocked the chest before heading to the keep.

He knocked on the master's door and entered nearly before the call to do so was finished. Shutting the door behind him, Sable looked at his master and began to shake, as the situation struck him with all its potentialities.

Fear.

Fear like he had not known in years, deep and sweeping, turning his heart to a forge hammer and his guts to water, pinned him to the door, staring hopelessly at Lord Fox.

Seeing that something was very wrong, Lord Fox had come around the desk at once, and now he was wrapping his arms around Sable, helping the man as he slumped to the floor, trembling violently.

"Oh, my love, what is it? What has happened?" Fox wrapped the man against him as tightly as he could, pressing kisses to the bent head.

"Moss, please..."

"Please, what, beloved?"

"Please, don't let him take me." Sable knew the man would die before letting such happen, but the words had to come out, could not be restrained any more than Sable's quivering nerves, and now, ashamed, he buried his face in the crook of his lover's neck, the safe shelter of his master's arms, and clung.

"Sable, I would kill any man that tried to rip you from my side, you know this. But who, love? Who would steal you? And what brought you to this state? What has happened? Answer me, love."

Fox, completely bewildered and greatly concerned, waited, but no answer came. Sighing, hating himself for it, he made his voice stern, a pure master's voice.

"Answer me, slave." Cringing at the word, not having used it in earnest with Sable in years, Fox held his breath to see if it had worked. He was greatly relieved when it did, prompting Sable, in halting and stammered phrases, to tell him about Danally's visit, and what he believed to be her message.

Having calmed as he spoke, his mind overriding his initial panic, Sable forced himself to sit up, easing back as he reached the end of the telling. He was still ashamed of his earlier fear, he knew that Lord Fox would never let anything happen to him.

Swallowing hard, Sable spoke softly, "Moss, I'm sorry about...earlier. I do not doubt you or your ability to keep me here and safe. It was only reaction to the thought of...him. I apologize for my cowardice."

"You were not cowardly, Sable, far from it. You were simply overwhelmed by memory, the memory of what he was, and what he did to you. It is only natural that hearing this so suddenly was a shock."

"You do not think me stupid, for acting on the word of...a cat?"

Lord Fox made his face as gentle as possible, smiling softly. "She is my cat, doubtless I value her and her opinions. I trust her will for Jade, we both do, why should this be different? Because she seeks to reveal her sacred nature to us, for our protection this time? Nay, she but protects the interests of her supplicant, for Jade would be most upset, did he learn you suffered when the Goddess could have prevented it."

Sable grinned, nodding slightly, and took a deep breath. He felt better now, and when Fox reached out, kissing him with pure love, Sable was himself again. "I'm fine, Moss, I have recovered myself. But what shall we do? I do not wish to hide, yet I feel it would not be safe to be seen by him."

"No, it would not. First things first, my love." Standing, releasing Sable with a kiss, Fox pulled the bell rope by his door. He grinned down at Sable, teasing the man gently. "You shall have to move that pile of muscle, am I to open the door for the messenger."

Sable managed a grin back and stood, moving to a chair by the desk. Moments later, a soft knock announced the arrival of Thomas.

"Yes, my lord?" A look at the master's face told him this was no time to be flip.

"Thomas, run to Lang, have him send out a scout bird, check for anyone approaching, about two hours or less away, have him report immediately. Repeat." Thomas did so, and Lord Fox nodded. "Good. Hurry, Thomas, please."

Fox closed the door on the boy's retreating back, and then turned to Sable.

"That should help either confirm or deny Danally's claims. Now, what to do with you. I have your papers, that is not in question, and in theory, since you are still a slave, you should be safe enough. However, I do not trust this man, never have. He seems to be at the heart of too much that is wrong or in dispute. My cousin, the Arch Duke, did not trust him, neither did my father. I heard him speak of the man with loathing, and that is saying much. No, it would be safer, did you not show yourself, but I fear there is not time to send you to safety. We do not know which way they approach, were you to take a wrong road..." Letting that very unpleasant thought trail off, Fox sighed, then suddenly brightened. "This man, he does not know you by the name of Sable, does he?"

"No, Master, but he will know my face." Sable knew that, while it had been many years since the man had seen him last, he'd not changed so much in feature.

"Then we shall have to ensure he does not see your face." A hopeful look on his face, Lord Fox motioned for Sable to accompany him, and soon, they were at Fitz' door. The priest was in, thankfully, and when apprised of the situation, he nodded.

"I will do anything I can to help, you know that, Master. What is it you wish?"

"Is there some sort of unguent or oil that you may put on him, something that will give the appearance of an illness, not serious, but requiring him to remain covered? Especially his face, for I doubt the man would recognize our broad shouldered stabler for the skinny youth of his past."

Sable, to the delight of the other two men, blushed. "Moss, please!" He was pleased by the compliment, but too nervous not to be embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, Sable. I shall refrain from teasing you, but it is a valid point. We need not hide you completely, that would seem suspicious. But a common illness requiring bandaging? Especially since this visit is a surprise, should not seem questionable."

Fitz, lost in thought, suddenly snapped his fingers. "Yes! I do know of something, my lord, most common and requiring a light bandage, easy enough to imitate. You know that many people are affected by the three-leaved ivy. Usually, it is but a mild rash, and that is all. But some people are severely affected; that, too, is common knowledge. We can claim he picked up a bad case from a horse, and knew it not until his face was broken out. I'll add a few spots along his arms, too, and he can be gloved."

"Perfect, Fitz! I will leave you here to begin work. Sable, I will send word around that you have been required by ivy sickness to wear bandaging, make sure it is the truth as all know it. The fact that the ivy sickness is of our devising, none need know save the three of us. Still, there are no lies at Samstar Fields, therefore, Fitz, I order you to give this man the ivy sickness, a most severe case, and then to bandage him accordingly. You are treating him for ivy sickness, upon my order. Sable, you are being treated for ivy sickness by Fitz, and he requires you to wear a bandage to guard the horses from the infection."

"Yes, Master," Sable answered, but Fitz was already leaning into his cupboards, dragging out the necessary supplies. Sable wasn't looking forward to this, but it would be better than trying to remain hidden outright, or facing the man.

"I shall see what word we have from Lang, and send runners with the tale of our stable master's unfortunate condition."

Fox was nearly to the door when he heard Fitz's voice, coming from under the bottom of a cabinet, head deep in the recesses. "Have Leona send up some eggs and a dish of boiled sugar water!"

Smiling at this complete lapse of station by his healer, knowing the man was already well into his mental plans, Fox winked at Sable, and left.

He met Thomas on the stairs, panting. "My lord, Lang was already on his way with a report to you. The hourly scouting flight has only just returned. He has already sent another bird, and he says that he shall report on both as soon as the bird does."

"Very good. Now, take some air, while I explain the situation." Fox did so, and soon Thomas was off again, passing the word about Sable along to the heads of the work stations, trusting them to distill it further.

Fox went to the kitchens, explaining to Leona and ensuring that Fitz's items were sent up. He'd just finished when Lang appeared in the doorway, scarcely winded by the long run from his aviary.

"Master, a party does approach, I was just on my way with word when Thomas found me. They are between ten and five miles away now and heading North. I cannot say whether or not they ride hard, if so, we have but a scarce hour before they arrive. If not, then nearly two. You have my apologies for not reporting sooner, Master. I missed the hourly scouting flight just before this one, due to a group of hatchlings. It cost us precious time, Master. I am most sorry for failing you." Lang looked visibly upset at what he perceived as his failure, though Fox knew the man had no one to work with him, and the hatchlings had to take precedent.

It was standard practice to send out the birds every hour. But, when there was a group of hatchlings, they had to be carefully moved from the incubating trays to the hatchling boxes, each bird carefully examined and tagged and settled. It was a delicate, time consuming process, and Lang had yet to find anyone that shared his love for the birds. Fox had heard him worrying aloud one day over a hatchling that he'd left to do the scouting run, not sure it would survive. The pain on the man's face had prompted Fox to make it a rule to see to the hatchlings first, unless an important visit was expected.

Fox glanced at his watch. An hour and a quarter would make it four o'clock. Sighing, he spoke softly, yet firmly. "You did nothing of the sort, Lang. The hatchlings come first, that is by my own order, is it not?" The thin man nodded reluctantly, and Fox smiled at him, putting a gentle hand on the man's shoulder. "Nay, Lang, there is no failure here. Were you dallying with one of the kitchen maids, then I would have cause to be upset. As it is, I am but thankful to have you and your birds. Is that understood, Lang?"

"Yes, Master. Thank you."

Fox waved it off, seeing that Lang was reassured. "Go now, keep an eye. You did good work, Lang, my thanks. Your birds have earned their keep today, as has my cat."

"Master?" Lang looked confused, and Fox waved it off.

"Pay that no heed. Ride to the Captain's hut, see what orders she has for you. And again, thank you."

"I live to serve." Lang said the words by instinct, unable not to do so, and Fox graced him with a smile, hugging him tightly for a moment.

"You make a far better falconer than you ever did a whipping boy, Lang."

"The birds are not nearly the trouble you were, Master." A grin, shared between them, and Lang was off.

Watching him go, Lord Fox found himself both grateful and awed by the man. Lang was many things, primary amongst them, intelligent. He had developed the scouting system himself, working with Frokey and even Fitz to devise a plan for knowing when riders approached from a distance.

It was very simple really. Along the road, in either direction, to North or South, were markers at five mile intervals, up to twenty miles away from Samstar Fields. Each marker had what, at first appearance, seemed the common pennants, proclaiming to travelers where they might find the famous horses, guiding them in from the outlying cities. However, each pennant was marked, showing both direction, and a five, ten, fifteen or twenty. Lang had already taught the birds to retrieve pennants, that being the form most of his messages took, and he had soon trained them the one step further.

Lang had taught his birds to search the roadway, and when they spotted someone approaching, to pick the pennant closest to the party, and return with it in their claws or beaks. It wasn't a terribly hard thing to train, a simple matter of riding himself on horseback and baiting the correct pennant, at first holding it, then with it inches away, and then feet, until the birds would spot him on the road and head for the nearest pennant, anxious for a bit of rabbit.

Soon, the birds would scout the road, secure the pennant and head for home with it, knowing the rabbit awaited them, in fair exchange for the small triangle of cloth. It was simple, nearly impossible to detect by anyone that did not know to look for it, and had saved them all a nasty shock on more than one occasion.

Going back upstairs to check on Sable, Fox passed Danally on the stairs. Pausing, he bowed slowly, silently, until she rubbed his legs, made a pleased sound, and wound her way on down. She deserved his respect, and if he could not quite believe in her as a goddess, he would be grateful for whatever force was at work, and show that.

Opening Fitz's workroom door, he headed into the infirmary. There he found Fitz, looking quite pleased with himself, if frustrated, an interesting combination on the pale features. Sable, on the other hand, looked thoroughly disgusted, his face set in a mutinous frown, brawny arms crossed on his chest.

"No."

"Sable, please, it will be the final touch needed, you must let me."

"No."

"What argument do I disturb?" Fox asked it warily, having come between the two men before. They loved each other dearly, but their ways and methods were so different, it sometimes resulted in friction.

"Master, I wish to apply his rash, it is all assembled and is ready to go on. He refuses."

"On what grounds?" Reserving judgement, Fox had learned, was always the best path.

"He wants to put...he milked..." Sable looked decidedly uncomfortable, and Fitz rolled his eyes, sighing.

"I am a man of the cloth and I speak of these things with ease. You warm his bed," here, Fitz pointed at Lord Fox, "and cannot bring yourself to say even the most basic of terms."

"If I cannot say them, then how, by all your saints, do you expect me to wear...that...on my face? My face, Fitz!"

Sighing, thinking that he really did not have time for this, Fox interrupted the exchange. "What is this mysterious thing?"

"I sent to the barns for a set of testicles from one of the bulls. I remembered they had castrated one just this morning. I emptied the contents into mixture, then made the mistake of telling our modest stabler what it was that gave it that proper pearly, milky essence. Now he refuses to allow me to put it on him, and it grows cold and begins to set. It will be ruined in a few minutes more and I shall have to begin again."

Lord Fox nodded. "Sable, my love, I speak as the master now. Close your mouth, and do whatever Fitz requires of you. His word, until we are finished, is to be law for you, does he tell you to mount that same bull next, I will seek you in the field being wildly unfaithful to me." Fitz snorted with laughter, though he tried to hold it back. Sable's mouth quirked with amusement, though his eyes were still unhappy with the situation. "This is Fitz, Sable, our good and kind healer, and man of the cloth. Would he do such for jest or for mischief, at a time such as this?"

Sable sighed, lowered his eyes, and shook his head.

"No, he would not. If he does it, then he has a reason for doing it, and we have not the time to question, and surely not the time to balk. He is but helping you, Sable, possibly even saving your life. You will obey him as you would me. No, better than you would me, for you are not to even question him, is that understood?"

Fox had been speaking gently, but it was a scolding nonetheless, and Sable's face showed he was aware of it. He nodded, eyes apologetic, and Fox placed a kiss on the man's mouth, before smiling at him.

"Besides, it does rather suit you..."

Sable couldn't help himself. Careful to aim far enough away there could be no accidental touch, he swung his hand in the general direction of his master's backside.

Laughing out loud, seeing that Sable was more than alright again, Fox stole another kiss, then nodded to Fitz. "We have perhaps forty minutes, mayhap a bit more."

"I need but twenty." Fitz was beginning to work now, using a small brush to apply a reddish cast to Sable's now volunteered forearm.

Leaving them to it, Fox hurried to his study. His papers for the king's accounting were spread over the entire room, and now he carefully gathered the piles into neat stacks, and locked them away in a chest. Making sure there was nothing out to give a snooping visitor any unintended information, Fox hastened to the children's ward.

He would not deny them their story if he could help it, and so he read them a few token pages, and early, informing the workers that they would be fed upstairs this even, and that the children should not be allowed out or below.

At last, he sent for Thomas, calling for all the reports from the different stations. Running downstairs, taking up the hammer, Thomas struck the bell some four raps, two short, two long, the signal to send the runners up with their report.

Within moments, boys and girls from all corners of the keep had assembled in a neat line outside his study. Fox heard their reports one at a time, eyeing his watch carefully. The last child had just assured him that the dyeing sheds were ready, when Thomas came in again.

"Master, the Captain says they are scarce a mile away, approaching moderately. She asks do you wish them halted, and offers her recommendation that you do not."

"I agree, it would seem suspicious did we, as a humble trading keep, forestall visitors. Tell her I concur, but that I would like her to be available to join me here most quickly, if needed."

"Yes, Master."

"And take a horse, Thomas, you are far too valuable to expire on me between here and there."

"Thank you, Master. I will."

The boy left, still at a trot, Fox noticed, pleased that Thomas grasped the seriousness of the situation.

He returned to Fitz and Sable, wanting to warn them. When he entered, he saw Fitz was standing back and eyeing critically the now finished product.

Coming around, Fox did the same, more than impressed with what he saw. Sable was wearing the cotton cloth gloves that all did when sores wept, and he could see a few small postules peeking out from the wrist area. The forearms were flushed with a series of raised, ragged sores, some hard and dry looking, some open and weeping into the thin, widely woven gauze bandaging wrapped loosely about them. Sable's face and neck were similarly covered, only the face had been wrapped more securely, with only the nostrils, a portion of the mouth and slits of his eyes visible.

"Excellent work, Fitz. It looks the worst case of ivy sickness I have ever witnessed. And it does look completely convincing as ivy rash. Well done, very well done."

"Thank you, Master. I am much relieved to hear you say that." Sable nodded, and Fitz continued gently, "Master, has he leave to speak again? The silence was welcome, but it grows wearisome."

Realizing what he'd accidentally done, Fox nodded ruefully. "I am sorry, Sable. I did not mean to forbid you speech, merely argument. My apologies."

"Accepted, Moss." Smiling as best he could, Sable lightly brushed the fingertips of his gloved hand over his master's face, caressing it lovingly.

"I love you." It was the first time Fox had ever said such in that manner, in front of another, and Sable swallowed hard, trying not to spoil Fitz's disguise with tears.

"And I love you in return, whether you be Moss, Master or Lord Fox."

Fox reached out, and very carefully managed to kiss Sable on the small part of his mouth revealed by the gauze. "When this is over, I shall make it up to you, my word."

Sable nodded, smiling as best he could with his skin stretched by the mixture.

Taking a deep breath, Lord Fox winked at Sable and went downstairs, preparing to meet his company. Even as he settled in his library, appearing casual to all observers, only one thought went through his mind about his guest.

Christ damn Lord Charles Spender of Morley to all hells, and then damn him again.

xx

"Here we are, Jade. Now, you must be on lead for this shop, and while it would not do for you to be caught actually reading, you need not be afraid of looking at the books, not here. It is expected that slaves will look about while their owners shop."

Alonzo had tied his horse and now he was fastening the lead onto Alex's collar, his eyes alighting on the slave's passion mark with a small look of satisfaction that did not go unnoticed by Alex. His own mark was born proudly on the dusky skin of the seneschal, a dark rich smudge of magenta that gave Alex a shiver every time he noticed it.

"You need not be silent either, though it is courtesy to whisper in any place where so many books reside."

"Yes, Alonzo."

His lead attached and the pull checked, Alonzo gave him a wink, and together they entered the book shop.

Alex looked about in wonder. There were three walls with floor to ceiling shelves, all filled with books. After the library, it wasn't the amount of books that put Alex in awe, rather the fact that they were all for sale. Any freeman or woman could come into this shop and purchase the book of their choice. That so many books might be purchased, made Alex shake his head in wonder. It looked like the library, the master's collection. That thought made him pause, and he whispered softly to Alonzo.

"My lord, please, I would like your help."

"If I may."

"I should like to buy a book for the master. I know I may not buy it for myself, but I will gladly repay you, do you purchase such for me. That is, if I have enough left. I know not how much a book costs."

"Some books cost a great deal, some only a copper or so. We will look about, do you see something you think would please him, I shall check it for you."

"Thank you, Alonzo."

"It is nothing, Jade. Now, you may roam in here on your own, but be cautious."

"Yes, my lord." Alex opened his mouth, and Alonzo gently placed the handle of his lead within it, finger lightly soothing the tiny cut from the earlier maltreatment. Alex was touched by the gesture, and bowed his head slightly, nudging the hand with his face. The older man smiled at him and motioned him off.

He wasn't going very far, at most he would be across the room from the seneschal, but Alex felt his heart pound slightly as he began looking at the rows of books. He'd seen another slave studying the shelves, so he wasn't so frightened as he might have been, but Alex still had so little experience with sellers that he couldn't relax completely. Darting a glance at the man behind the counter, seeing that he was occupied, Alex began to look.

He remembered to keep his head straight, not tilting it to see the spines, but many of the books had their names written the correct way for ease, and soon, he saw a book that he felt the master would enjoy. Turning, Alex spotted Alonzo squatting by a bottom shelf, and went to him, kneeling down beside the man.

Alonzo let a few minutes pass deliberately, before taking Alex's lead and whispering softly, "You have found a book for the master?"

Alex nodded.

"The title?"

"The Breeding of Individual Hounds. It sounded like something he would like and then give to Drell."

"Aye, it would suit the new kennels nicely, and I'm fairly sure that he has very few books on that subject. If it is in this shop, then it is new, and he is even less likely to have it. Excellent choice, little one. Where might I find it?"

"Third shelf, middle of the row, second set of shelves."

Alonzo nodded and, after a few minutes, wandered over, Alex in tow. He scanned the entire shelf, before going back and picking out the slender yellow volume. Opening the cover, Alonzo saw that it was two coppers.

"See, slave, this tome is but two coppers. Do I send you in future, you will know the value of such an item."

"Yes, Master." Alonzo had spoken softly, but it was for show, his way of telling Alex the price. He had two coppers, and though it would take significantly from his purse, Alex knew it was right. Nodding slightly to show it was affordable for him, Alex sent a tiny smile Alonzo's way.

Alonzo put the leash back in the young man's mouth, and with the book under his arm, continued to browse. Alex also began looking, simply enjoying the quiet space. There had been no quiet at his former master's keep, nowhere could one go for peace. Sometimes Alex felt that this was yet another gift from the master, quiet, stillness, and the peace to enjoy them.

Sighing softly, disturbed by his thoughts of his former life, Alex turned to see black eyes looking at him with great care.

Returning to the seneschal's side, Alex knelt, needing comfort and knowing Alonzo wished to give it. He leaned his head against Alonzo's leg and felt the man's hand settle on top of it, fingertips lightly caressing.

"Are you well?"

A nod, and Alex looked up, smiling his reassurance. Alonzo tapped the end of his nose playfully, and then eased away. He moved to the counter, laying three books on it, keeping Alex close by virtue of the leash. Having paid, he led them outdoors and took time to secure the books into one of his saddlebags, before turning to Alex and speaking quietly, as he unfastened the lead. "It can be hard, when one is reminded of the past. I know you took a startle earlier, with the Sister, despite the fact that it was good for you. It took a toll, Jade, as did our time at the library. You need not see the entire city in one day, Jade. I would not spoil your day, but I feel it would be best, did we return to the inn, share a quiet dinner there, and mayhap head out again once the night has fallen."

"I would like that, Alonzo. The thought of resting quietly with you sounds most welcome."

Leaning forward, kissing Alex briefly, Alonzo turned him toward Jessopa, patting his rear affectionately. "Let us go, then."

They headed back to the inn, and Alex sighed again, this time contentedly. He was tired, he was still feeling somewhat emotional, and the thought of dinner and being held by Alonzo's strong arms sounded exactly like what he needed. Comfort. Alex was craving comfort, and he had to smile at himself, that he'd grown so soft. Looking at the straight back of the man riding before him, Alex amended that. He was not soft, nor weak. No, he'd simply grown so alive, so whole, that Alex now had needs beyond mere survival. It was a pleasing realization, and Alex sent a prayer of thanks to Danally.

xx

Back at Samstar Fields, Lord Fox was standing on the main steps of the keep, watching as the small group rode up the lane. He'd made everything as ready as he could, and now he forced his face into neutral, if pleasant lines. The two front riders were armed, and doubtless guards for the carriage, as were the two behind. The carriage itself was a fancy affair of gilded wood and elaborate painting, but Lord Fox noted that the workmanship was shabby, and the materials cheap.

It stopped in front of the walkway, and Lord Fox motioned to the stableboys to come forward, and Thomas as well. The boys held the heads of the carriage horses, frowning as they saw the condition of the animals, a fact that brought a secret smile to Fox's face. Another stableboy held the door and Thomas, bowing fully to half, extended his arm, waiting to help, should it be needed.

A man's hand took it, the fingers long, and by the look in Thomas' eyes, gripping painfully as a tall, lean form descended imperiously, looking about with curiosity and a certain smugness as he took in the simple keep.

Lord Fox did not flaunt his wealth, knowing it would but cause him to be envied. Now, seeing his guest's face, the wisdom of this was brought home again. The man had already dropped him at least two notches, one for the keep, one for his simple attire.

"Welcome to Samstar Fields. I am Lord Fox William of Mulder Estates."

"Lord Charles Spender of Morley Estates. I knew your father, young Fox." There wasn't so much as a gasp from the well trained slaves, but Lord Fox saw that Thomas' eyes were bright, and he knew anger to be the reason. They were not used to hearing their master insulted, and never within the first words from a guest.

"I, too, know of you by reputation. I trust that the passing of time has left its mark on you, as well." It was said gently, with a smile, and there was nothing specific that could be said to have been rude, but it was an insult in return, and Lord Charles' face showed that he knew this.

"Of course. We all age, if we do not all mature." Smirking slightly, Lord Charles did not give Fox the chance to reply, but turned to the carriage, pushing Thomas aside, and reaching in his hand. "Come, my dear. I would have you met."

A graceful arm extended itself, and a dark haired woman alighted. Her features were passing pretty, but cold and hard, and Fox suppressed a shiver of repulsion as she gazed about greedily. Her gown was immodest to a near extreme, and her face overly done up. She might have been highborn, but Fox knew her instantly for the worst type of woman, and vowed to burn the sheets she slept on, did they insist on staying.

"This is the Lady Diana Fowley, my companion. This is the reclusive Lord Fox, my dear."

Fox gave a polite bow, holding it the barest minimum he could dare. "Lady."

"My dear Fox, Charles is right, you are quite the recluse. You have never once attended one of his excellent parties, we have had to track you down here, where you work." She made this sound like the gravest of insults, and Fox managed a smile, reminding himself that he could not afford to make enemies of these people. Yet.

"I doubt my presence was missed overmuch, my lady, though it is kind of you to say. I fear I am much enamored of my work, and it takes place of point in my time. Still, your invitations have not gone unnoticed, and I trust that my many gifts in reply have entertained you far more than I could have done."

It was a clever reply, in that it implied him to be a bore; and yet forced the lady to admit he'd made equal advance, and that there was no claim of insult. She saw this, too, and her eyes grew flinty for just a moment, before she emitted what was no doubt intended to be a flirtatious laugh. It sounded only shrill and annoying, and Fox just barely kept from flinching.

"Oh, Charles, you never mentioned that he had a sense of humor! This evening might be salvageable after all." Her tone suggested she very much doubted the truth of her own words, but she came forward, linking arms with Lord Fox.

"If you would care to enter, I will see to it that you are refreshed from your travels." Mentally vowing to find a way to see the food did not quite meet its usual high standards, Lord Fox led them into the keep and the main hall. He did not order their bags taken inside, and prayed that it would not seem necessary.

Seating himself at the head of the long table, he watched as the plainly furnished room was examined and found lacking by the guests.

"Your father entertained often, I recall. There is a room just to that side, is there not, for private dining?" Lord Charles made a motion with one hand, and Lord Fox noticed that the man was filling a pipe. To do so at table was a breach of etiquette, but Lord Fox simply smiled at him.

"There is indeed. It is seldom used anymore. It would seem that I have not the head for intrigue my father did."

"Oh, come now, Fox. Surely a man that runs his business as profitably as you do, cannot help but have some idea of how the political game is played." Lord Charles produced a thin, slow burning reed, and snapped his fingers at Thomas. "Here, boy, take this to the kitchens and bring it back lit."

Thomas threw a glance at Lord Fox, seeing the nod, and moved to obey. "Yes, my lord."

The man waited until Thomas was holding out his hand, and then gripped the wrist cruelly. Thomas gasped, but gave no other sign, merely stood, head bowed, eyes down, waiting.

"Your slave is lax in serving your guests."

"Release him." The words were pure steel, and colder than the winter's heart, and Lord Charles was startled by the shadow of Lord William, into letting the boy go. Thomas withdrew into the kitchen, taking the taper with him. "He is not a slave, Lord Charles, but a free youth, come to learn something of the horse business. In addition to his apprenticeship to me in that field, I found it helpful to have him act as a general errand boy. It was only natural that, since he is not a slave, he should look to me for approval before acting. However, you will find that I have no tolerance for slaves that do not await my will. Had he been a slave, he would have sought my leave first, much the same. That is by my instruction. Many men will judge another man by how his slaves act. I wish to be sure mine do not convey aught but my genuine will."

Thomas returned, and did not hesitate to move in range of the man again, offering the taper. It was taken with no notice, and Thomas gave a slight bow and withdrew to the shadows.

The man lit up, sending a cloud of noxious smoke swirling into the clean air. "What you say is true. A man's slaves can be seen as a reflection of himself. They say your stablemaster, Sable, I believe he is called, is near your equal...in terms of his abilities with horses."

The faint pause was accompanied by a too casual look, and Fox felt his stomach tighten, even as he gave a lazy grin. "The man is well trained, and has both skill and talent, but he is, after all, a slave, and only following the instructions given to him by his master. Me. Sable has been worth the money I paid for him, well worth it."

"I thought you inherited him from your father." The man looked confused, and Fox took a chance with the altered truth.

"It is true that he came with some other possessions, but I did not know him before, and I sold him not long after my father passed away. The priest I sold him to, a Clive, was unable to retain him, and when he was forced to sell the man, was kind enough to offer him back to me first. I had gone through my father's records by then, and realized that Sable was quite skilled and would be an asset, so I gladly bought him back."

Thomas was back now with a loaded tray, one of the older girls behind him bearing another.

"Ah, good. Set it on the table." There was a platter of cold ham and chicken, cheeses, fruits and breads. A selection of small custard cups, and wine and ale both were set out. It was good food, and hospitable enough, but it was cold fare only and, on a brisk day, was not very considerate.

Diana was filling her plate with a look of faint disappointment, and Lord Fox noticed as he passed her the bowl of fruits, that her hand was very cold. Of course, the woman had been wearing a very fashionable and very thin dress, and her cloak had been undone, to reveal the gown. She was doubtless chilled. Unable to stop himself, Fox motioned to Thomas.

"Have the cook send out the soup, as well. Tell her we will have words later over its absence."

"Yes, my lord."

Thomas obeyed, knowing the words would be Fox apologizing to Leona for countermanding his own orders. Putting his grin away, he returned with a tray holding three steaming bowls, and carefully placed the first in front of Lord Charles, then in front of Diana and then Lord Fox.

"I do not have guests often, my hosting skills are somewhat rusted from disuse. I seldom require more than a bowl of soup or some other basic fare."

"This is quite good soup, let us let the quality make up for the lateness of its arrival." It was nearly gracious, and Fox sent Diana a genuinely friendly look back. He still didn't trust the female viper, but he would reward appropriate behavior.

"Thank you, that is most kind of you, my lady."

She waved it aside, turning to her soup gratefully. It was a thick, hearty soup, based on Leona's rich stock, but made richer with wine and roasted mushrooms. Lord Charles picked at the food and refilled his pipe often, smoking throughout the entire meal, before tapping his ash onto the floor.

"You have been hospitable, Lord Fox. I think we should now see to business. A tour of your stables and introduction to your stabler would be next."

"I seldom give full tours, Lord Charles, I'm sure a businessman such as yourself can understand the wisdom in that. I shall be happy to show you the stables housing the type of horse you seek, and if he is not confined with a horse, I shall introduce you to Sable as well. If the lady has finished eating, she is, of course, welcome to join us, or she may wait here in the warmth of the hall. We will not be overlong."

"She will accompany us. She would not wish to miss the chance to view your fine horses, as we are here to purchase a new one for her personal use. Diana is looking for a large beast, fiery and bold. Something big and strong, but easily broken to the bit and whip. A stallion."

The words were laced with enough meaning, when combined with the lady's look, to make Thomas near blush. He looked ill at ease, for while he was ever the flirt, it was only amongst friends, those that knew him and would not be made uncomfortable by it.

Standing, making his face a mask of innocence so as to be spared commenting, Lord Fox stood. "Shall we?" He motioned out the front and led them down the path to the stables. He'd be damned if he sold so much as a hay straw to these people, but he had to go along with the illusion. He entered the smaller west barn, lying just to the left of the main stables. The stableboys all moved at once to attention, standing well to the side, and Fox noticed with pride that the older boys had moved the younger ones back and to the side, where they were least likely to be seen.

"Send Farel to the stables and tell Sable that, should his presence not be crucial, it is required in the westerly barn. Repeat." Fox had addressed the oldest boy, though Farel was the youngest one currently in the barn. Without hesitation, the oldest boy repeated his orders, and when Fox had turned his back and pointed his guests toward the horses, took the youngest boy and quickly ushered him out of the stables, telling him to remain in the main stable, and send an older boy back instead. It was what Fox had meant to happen, he'd made it clear by his speaking to the oldest boy, rather than the slave named.

The children at Samstar were protected, but the older youth were needed, their labors necessary, and so they were given extra training, beginning when they were nine or so, and continuing throughout their adolescence. This training happened in the early evenings, before last meal, but well after most of the chores were completed. They were taught many things, but priority among them, was how to act when others were present at Samstar. The master had them practice, had them drill, knowing that the behaviors had to be habitual for them to seem natural. They spent most of their time working as free youth would, but not a one among them could not pass for the most obedient, humble of slaves, when necessary.

And they were well aware it was necessary. They had all seen or heard what happened at other keeps, and had no desire to lose this haven. Most of them had been adopted by former slaves, and the scars their parents bore, ensured that they took it all most seriously. Code words, where to hide, how to stand and speak, it was all practiced daily, and with good purpose.

Sable arrived some moments later, and Fox winced when he saw the man. "Is that damned rash not dried yet?" He made his voice sound impatient, as though Sable's condition were a personal inconvenience. Fox threw in a hint of disgust, borrowing what he felt for the man and woman standing beside him.

Sable, knowing he had to be beyond humble, had already ducked his head, and now he hunched slightly. "No, Master. The healer says a few more days. I'm sorry, Master." The voice was soft, and slightly muffled by the bandages.

"What ails the man?" Diana had shrunk back behind Lord Charles, eyeing Sable with disgust, while Lord Charles did his best to peer through the bandaging.

"It is nothing of consequence, a bout of ivy rash, nothing worse, my assurances. A bad case, however, it appears he is sensitive to the leaf."

Lord Charles, seeing the redness and runny sores under the gauze, looked irritated, but only pulled out his pipe. "Lord Charles, I'm sure you understand that due to the nature of the stables, there is no flame permitted here. I am afraid your pipe must wait until we are outside these doors."

"Of course." Slipping the pipe back into his pocket, Lord Charles turned to Diana. "Go with the man, have him show you the horses. See if you find one to your...taste."

Sable stood slightly to the side, and Fox bit at the inside of his lip as the woman pulled a quirt from her cloak.

"Lady, you do understand that due to their confinement, whipping any of the animals cannot be permitted."

She looked confused and then laughed, holding up the quirt. "This? Oh, no, Lord Fox, I would not whip a stabled horse. But surely you do not expect a woman to go alone with a slave, and view stallions? I must be able to defend my honor, Lord Fox."

"Of course. Though you could not possibly be frightened with Lord Charles as chaperone, and since he has made it clear that he buys the horse on your behalf, he will surely wish to accompany you, and question Sable himself."

"Naturally. Honestly, Diana, that woman's head of yours." He tsk'd, and she looked up at him poutingly. "No, no pouting. You will have Lord Fox think you rule me, and that would be a gross misconception."

"I assure you, Lord Charles, I am well aware of just who is holding the strings...of your purse." Smiling in false comradeship, Fox motioned to Sable. "Show them the three best suited for the lady, we have no desire to waste their time."

"Yes, Master." Sable bowed and led them to the three horses he was currently deciding what to do with. One was bad tempered, despite careful handling, another was slowly going blind, so Fitz said, and the third had no life to him whatsoever, an accident had left him timid as a mouse, despite his size.

Still, they were good horses, and Fox would sell them honestly, but with the understanding that they were for breeding only. Diana eyed them critically, and returned to the bad tempered one.

"He has some spirit to be vanquished."

"Ah, yes. It is that spirit that makes him so valuable as stock. His cost is some eighty-two gold pieces." This was flatly too high a price, nearly double what he would charge in genuine trade, but Lord Fox was determined not to sell them anything.

"That seems a bit high, Lord Fox."

"Yes, most people would find it so. Nonetheless, as all will tell you, I do not bargain my horses. I determine their value, set their price, and do not budge from it. I never liked to barter, it annoys me. That is the price, and it does not, of course, include his fees. In addition, I feel it only fair to warn you that I consider him unsafe to ride, useful only as breeding stock, if very good breeding stock."

Lord Charles looked at Fox for many long moments, but it was obvious what the outcome would be. "Come, my dear. I think we will not find that which we seek today. We must be on the road again, if we are to make a decent time to the abbey, and Crystal Springs in the morning beyond."

Fox showed them the way out, and mentally filed away the fact that they were going to be at an abbey.

"I regret I could not deal with you more satisfactorily today, Lord Charles. I can only hope to seek satisfaction from you another day." It was said with a smile, a trader regretting the loss of a sale and seeking future business, but there was a pure threat underlying it, and both men knew it.

"A day I very much look forward to, Lord Fox."

"May I get you a jug of mulled wine for the road? You have come far to leave empty handed."

"That would be most welcome, Lord Fox, the winter, it seems, begins."

Thomas was out with it in a moment only, and heated bricks besides. Diana took them eagerly, Fox noticed, and when he moved to the carriage door to say his final farewells, he saw that there were rings set into the roof and floor of the carriage, where a second passenger seat would be. It sent a warning bell through him, but he had no time to think, for good-byes were being said, and in the relief of watching them go, it was forgotten.

Lord Fox sighed deeply, then turned to the western barn, nearly running. Inside, in one of the empty stalls, burrowed into the corner, he found Sable.

The man was curled into a ball, and the broad shoulders and back were again shaking.

Motioning for the stableboys to leave and quietly informing them that he didn't wish to be disturbed, Fox slowly entered the stall.

"Sable? Beloved?" The man made no sign that he'd heard, and Lord Fox moved to where he could see the man's face. He was thwarted by the bandages, and so he had no choice but to carefully reach out, placing a gentle hand on Sable's arm.

The muscles were like iron, tensed until the sinews strained, so Fox spoke gently.

"He is gone, Sable. Gone. You are safe, you are here, with me, and you are safe, my love. Sable? Sable, please, speak to me?"

"I'm not afraid." The voice was a tortured strain, and now the man turned slightly, and Fox saw his eyes. There was no fear, but rage aplenty. "That bastard caused my father's death, he killed my brother, he ruined my family, my lands, my name. Me, he ruined me! I hate him, Master, I hate him! I never forget that it was he that stole my birthright, he that stole my freedom, the first man to curse me, the first to show me cruelty, my first taste of the lash came from him...." Sable trailed off, eyes nearly dead now with remembrance, before he continued. "I thought I had gotten past it. Now, with you, with your love, with Jade, I thought I have the future, what harm can be left in the past? But I was wrong, Master. There is harm and hate and pain like I have not known since the man first ordered me tied to that wagon wheel. Worse. Seeing him, hearing his voice, smelling that smoke, it all came to me again, fresh and raw and bleeding. He is the reason I remain a slave, the reason we lost years, years of loving together. He was not even here and his evil touch threatened to break us. I thought of all he had done, the pain he had caused so many, I thought of it. All of it. And...and...."

Sable trailed off, and Fox saw that the gauze was now spotted with tears. His own heart was breaking, but Fox knew to be still and silent, until Sable was finished. The fact that the man had yet to call him anything but Master, told Fox how deeply his misery ran. It was often like that for a slave, when they met the one they first called master, after so long a time.

"Master, I have a confession to make." Turning more fully towards Lord Fox, Sable held out his hand, glistening with blood, running lightly with it down into the hay.

"Sweet Virgin, Sable, what happened?" Shocked by the bloody appendage, Fox reached for the grooming towels, wrapping them tightly around Sable's hand. "We must get you to Fitz, Come."

"I cut myself, Master." Continuing his confession, ignoring Lord Fox's concern for his injury, Sable's voice was even now, almost flat. "With that." He pointed with his other hand to a knife lying in the hay where it had been dropped, the edge bloodied. Next to it were the abandoned gloves.

"Why? Sable, why would you do this to yourself?" Fox, holding the towel tightly to the wound, asked, knowing that Sable wouldn't move until he'd finished telling.

"Because I was going to kill him, Master. I was going to murder him in front of you. I had the knife, palmed it, had it ready."

"What stopped you?" Hiding the horror he felt at this, knowing what it would have meant for them all, Fox managed to make the question come out softly.

"You. I would be drawn and quartered for such, and you wouldn't like that, Master. It would hurt you. And it would put Samstar Fields at risk. I don't mind dying if he dies as well, but I wasn't sure what would happen to the rest of the slaves. I thought you would protect them, but then I thought you might be too hurt. It would hurt you, wouldn't it, Master?" The dark brown eyes were heavily shadowed, and while Fox knew the man would be fine in a day or so, he hated hearing his beloved sound so unsure of something so very basic.

"Yes, my love, it would hurt me greatly." There were tears in his eyes, but Fox only swallowed them down.

"Are you mad at me, Master, for cutting myself? Did I make the wrong choice?" Sable looked up at him with a faint confusion, and Fox answered him as honestly as he could.

"No, Sable. It was the right choice, my love. It was definitely the right choice." Pulling the man's head down onto his chest, Fox held him close as the big frame shuddered and Sable began to weep.

Fox wept with him.

xx

"Alonzo?" Alex's voice sounded sleepy to his own ears. He'd been fed a wondrous dish of dumplings stuffed with cheeses and herbs under crushed tomatoes, and the wine had been nearly full strength, Alonzo watering it only a little. They had then fed each other dessert, a lovely cool lemon custard. When Alex had spilled a tiny bit on his chin, Alonzo had reached across to lick it off. Alex, emboldened by the wine slightly, had instead pulled the man's head up enough to kiss him.

It had led to their current condition, namely naked, drowsy with the effect of having loved, Alex taking Alonzo again, and now content to hold.

"Yes, sweet?"

"Why do you wear bright colors?"

"Two reasons. The first is that I like them. I enjoy beautiful things, Jade, and blue silk, the color of sapphires, is a beautiful thing. The second is that it is the sole way in which I pay tribute to my thankfully limited fairy blood. I have one gifting from it, Jade, and that must be enhanced somewhat by science. Nonetheless, it gives me pleasure to do so, therefore, I say thank you as I must."

"What is your fairy gift?"

Alonzo lightly tickled the ribs near his fingertips, hearing the protesting quiet laugh of the young man in his arms. "That is a surprise, Jade, but I will reveal it ere I leave for my home."

Alex sobered, sitting up halfway, looking down at the austere yet warm features. "I do not want you to leave, Alonzo. It will hurt, when you are not here."

Smiling up at him, Alonzo sat up to join him, putting his hands on either side of Alex's face, and speaking gently. "It will hurt both of us, little Jade. But that is part of your lessoning from me, I believe. Learning to say good-bye, to let go, without having to lose the person leaving. You shall have my heart and my care when I am gone, Jade, and you will know that, should I return or you visit my keep, I shall be happily reunited with you. Most happily."

Alex smiled, pressing a kiss to one of Alonzo's palms, but then his face saddened. "Even should we reunite, it will not be as this, will it? When you leave, you will no longer be my lover."

"Ah, sweet Jade, if only that were true." The words were the palest of whispers, but the black eyes were razor sharp with the truth. "We shall not bed together again, that is true. But I am now and will always be your lover, Jade, and you mine, in spirit, if not in body."

"Alonzo, d-do you have...someone? Is there a Sable for you? A Lord Fox awaiting you at your keep?"

"No. But I am not alone, either. I have many good friends and a few special relationships that provide for my needs." The eyes darkened, and Alex couldn't help but ask.

"Who is it you think of, Alonzo? I do not mean to pry, my lord, but there is someone that your thoughts go to when we speak of such things, is there not?"

Alonzo sighed and lay back on the bed, one arm over his eyes. His voice, when it spoke, was tinged with pain. "You do not pry, Jade, you but seek to help as a lover should. Yes, there is someone, a relationship ended some six years ago. A relationship that should never have begun." A faint hint of bitterness twisted the words, and Alonzo rolled onto his stomach, head resting on his crossed arms.

"What happened, Alonzo?" Alex felt that, as with the master, a small prompt was needed, for Alonzo needed to talk, needed the release, it was obvious. Reaching out, he began to rub a hand across the taut muscles of the lean back, gently encouraging.

"It was not so long ago that I became seneschal, Jade. After leaving Samstar, I went to the university, it is a requirement of Lord Fox's. Anyway, I spent three years there and then moved on, managing a small keep, no more than three houses, as interim seneschal, a favor for a friend of Lord Fox's. It was good practice, and taught me much. After my two years there, I apprenticed at another keep, an island one to prepare me for Bluewoods. We have special needs, being so isolated. It was a five year apprenticeship. I was part of a larger group, all learning the management of such a unique lifestyle. When my time was up, I was given Bluewoods Keep as mine, but it takes time to learn a place and its people, so I lived and worked there for a year or so before taking up the reins for myself."

Alonzo sighed, closing his eyes for a moment. Alex had shifted, lying down beside the man, and now he pulled the dark head onto his chest, pillowing it, so that he could run his fingers through Alonzo's waving hair.

"I had been seneschal for slightly less than two years, when I bought a slave that seemed most promising. He was a skillful carpenter, and showed himself adept at his studies with our boatwright. Soon, his labors were yielding quality craft, and he seemed more than content with his life. I went to praise him one evening, and found him alone in the workshed. He was standing, half naked in the summer evening, and as I stood watching him work the wood, his hands passing over the hull, seeking any flaw, I felt a great longing for him. I wanted him, and before I could think overmuch on that, he'd looked up, and seen me."

Alonzo turned slightly onto his side, letting his own calloused hand rest on Alex's stomach. The contrast between the paleness of Alex's stomach and his own pecan colored hand made him smile for just a moment, before he resumed his story.

"I was not a virgin by any means, but I had not had a real relationship since becoming seneschal. I was lonely and aroused, and he was lovely and sweet, and when he looked up at me, I did not bother to hide my desire. He seemed startled for a moment, but then he smiled and came to me, opening his arms in invitation. I was weak, Jade, I know that now, had I not been so tired even. I think I might have been sharper, more aware, but I was tired and I was hungry for him, and I am but a man, and fallible."

Alex's brows drew together slightly. "Alonzo, I know that no matter how tired or weak, you would not take by force, and you said that he offered himself freely. I do not see how you failed."

"I said he offered himself, Jade, but I did not say he did so freely." The pain was ripe in his voice, and now he looked up at Alex, face soft with sorrow. "I did not realize the cost until later, much later, when it was too late. No one had ever told me not to fall in love with a slave. No one had ever professed to being in love with me when I was a slave. I had no experience from either side. I knew the master, Lord Fox, did not bed his slaves, but he had always said that was a personal choice, and I knew his reasons and they did not apply to me. I thought there was nothing wrong with it because, as I said, he offered himself, came to me willingly. He told me that he wanted me, that he cared for me and that he would be pleased, should I touch him."

Alonzo's eyes were far, far away now, and Alex made no move to call him back.

"I knew not that he but said what he thought I wanted to hear. He led me to his bed, he initiated our love making, he began our time together, and with but one thought in his mind. He wanted to show me how grateful he was."

Alonzo's face twisted sharply at the words, and the source of his pain was now revealed.

"Every touch, every light word, every night spent in his arms, was a lie, Jade. For he had not been with us long enough to see that such was not only not necessary, but not acceptable. It was not all a lie, we did enjoy each other's company. He was fond of chess and we had some music and other such in common. It was that pleasure in our shared time that gave the lie for what it was. What man's lover is happier playing chess with him than lying in his arms? What lover eagerly speaks and laughs with you on a walk of the grounds, but goes quietly, if with a smile, to your bed?"

Alonzo felt a tear escape him, and when it splashed onto Alex's chest, the man took it up again with a kiss.

"He did not love me. He felt for me great affection, I was his friend, but our love making was a payment he made toward an imagined debt of gratitude. It hurt me, Jade, hurt me very deeply. Not because he did not love me, I would have been fine with that, had I but known from the beginning. It was the deception that broke my heart. Friends may be lovers, so long as all involved know the truth of what happens, but for a friend to falsely claim love, that is a double betrayal. It was a long time before I dared trust another with my body and heart. When I discovered the truth, that while he didn't mind making love to me, he neither desired it, I am ashamed to say that my first thought was to sell him. It was his fear as well, the only time I ever saw him afraid when he was with me. He actually went down on his knees before me, and begged me not to sell him. He would never touch me again, or he would touch me exclusively, it mattered not to him, so long as I allowed him to remain. I tell you, Jade, I have never felt the master more than at that moment, and I hated it with every bit of my being."

He sighed, and Alex leaned up, pressing a soft kiss to the firm mouth, which quirked slightly in an appreciative smile, before the seneschal continued.

"I did not sell him, of course, was never serious about it, it had only been the most fleeting of impulses, because I was in love with him, and knew that it would be so painful to see and act with him now, now that I knew the truth. I reassured him that his place was safe, that he would not be sold, and then I left for a few weeks. Time is the only cure for many things, and I needed time to grieve and rage when I could do no harm. When I came back, I had made my peace with what happened, and was resolved in my treatment of him. I greeted him warmly, I played chess with him, I was his friend. But I never again allowed him in my bed, nor would I accept his kisses or the touch of his hand, beyond the most casual."

"And that was six years ago?" Alex asked softly.

Alonzo nodded, resting his head on Alex's chest again.

"How did you learn to trust again, Alonzo? How can you be here with me now, and not worry that the same is true?"

"Time. I have had time to study and observe, time to learn to hear the difference in a man's voice, to feel his hand. I know when I am being given gratitude, and when I am being given sincere, if temporary, love. You struggle too much, Jade, for what you feel to be false. Did you seek to deceive me, I do not doubt that you could turn into the most experienced of bed partners, receiving, play the full act. You would be smooth and tempt me with ease and skill, am I right?"

Alex, remembering the times in the past when he had been forced to seduce someone, to play the whore for his master, nodded. "I can seem eager, do I have to."

"Exactly, Jade. But it would be an act. No one coming from your background is left unmarked, and those scars show as easily as do the ones on your body. I share some of those same scars, Jade, so it is easier for me to read. It was only love that blinded me so long to David, and the truth about what was happening between us. Instead, I saw what I wished to see, heard what I wanted to hear, until that inner voice would no longer be silent, and forced me to stop looking as a lover, and look as a master."

"Does he still live at Bluewoods Keep?"

"He does. He is our main shipwright, and remains, though he made his freedom price nearly a year ago."

"I am sorry, Alonzo. You deserve to be loved, the way the master and Sable love."

Reaching up, feeling better for having spoken his heart, Alonzo now drew Alex into his embrace. "It is what we all deserve, Jade. All of us. But do not feel sorry for me. You give me hope, Jade, that perhaps my heart is ready to risk being injured again. Certainly you have left me feeling happy with the thought, rather than fearful."

"I did ?" Alex looked stunned by this news. He'd known that Alonzo was helping him, had felt himself being healed with each touch, but never had he considered that he might be healing Alonzo as well.

"Yes, Jade, you did." Taking the full mouth with his own, tasting the sweetness of Alex's willingness, Alonzo let thoughts of the past and of David fall away.

xx

Fox had finally gotten Sable to his feet and led him to the keep, sending word on ahead to have Fitz ready and waiting.

As soon as they entered the healer's chambers, he led them into the examining room, where candles and a fire were ready to off-set the shock he expected to see.

He was correct in his assumptions. Sable was pale, from both the shock and loss of blood, and it took the master and Fitz both to get him on the table.

"Get some of the heated blankets, cover him, then ring for Thomas." Fitz, the master in this room, gave the orders quickly while he turned his attention to the cut on Sable's hand. Pulling away the towels, he was relieved that it was not overdeep. He didn't think stitches would be needed, though tight bandaging would.

When Thomas appeared, Fitz set him to work making a mixture of wine and broth, heating it well, and adding herbs for pain and sleep. Fox brought cloths and held Sable's hand as Fitz first cleaned, then treated it, smearing a thick ointment into it, before beginning the bandaging. He gripped both sides of the wound, pinching them close together and then pressing down on them, putting a cotton pad over the top and then wrapping it snugly with gauze. Thomas, long used to helping Fitz, busied himself getting the bandages laid out, placing the pins close by and carefully feeding the broth to Sable, a spoonful at a time.

At last, the hand was bandaged, and Fitz and Thomas both helped Fox carry Sable across the hall, to the master's old bedroom. It was close and would be near Fitz, should Sable need him. Besides, it would be foolhardy to try and make it down the stairs with a drugged, weak and unsteady Sable. The large man was swaying sharply, and his weight was only just being born by the other three men. Thomas ran ahead to open the doors and fix the bed, lighting candles and the fire, before returning to the infirmary.

Once they were by the bed, Fitz helped Fox strip off Sable's bloodied clothing, and laid him in the bed. Thomas came into the room, a bowl of hot water and the medicinal soap in his hands. Placing both on the bedside table, he began to help Fitz draw off the bandaging around Sable's head and arms. Together they washed the false rash from him, while Fox sent for a nightshirt from his rooms.

He would have washed Sable himself, but he knew that Thomas and Fitz would make the quicker work of it, and so he settled for lying beside Sable on the bed, being there when the dark eyes would flutter and seek his, before closing again. Soon, Sable was clean and dry and sleeping the shock away.

Whispering, Fitz gave his instructions, as Thomas gathered up the bandages and such. "He's not to use that hand for a while, Master, a few days at least. I will know more when I check it on the morrow. I've wrapped it in a stiff hide so that he cannot bend the fingers overmuch or accidentally hit it on something. He will likely wake in a few hours. When he does, have him eat and call me. I will make him a draught, but I would know how he fares before deciding the final ingredients and the strength."

"Understood. Let Leona know we shall need a tray later, please."

"Yes, Master. May I ask? What happened, Master?"

After only a moment's pause, knowing that Sable wouldn't object to the healer being told, Fox explained.

"Gods, the misery of this condition is neverending. Which is why this condition must be ended." It was one of the code words, "this condition" referring to slavery. Lord Fox agreed completely, but it would not do to get complacent with such talk. Code or not, it was far too dangerous. Reaching out, he landed his hand moderately on Fitz's rear.

"Hush, slave." The words were spoken gently, but they were all the scold necessary. Fitz colored brightly, but nodded.

"Yes, Master. I'm sorry, Master. It is only the sight of Sable lying thusly...."

Fox reached out, pulling the man into a tight embrace. "I know, Fitz. I know and I am not angry, only overly cautious for you."

"I thank you, Master. And for the hug as well, it was most needed."

Fox held firm for a moment longer, then tilted Fitz' face up. Looking down at his dear friend, Fox pressed a gentle, platonic kiss to the man's mouth, before turning him toward the door. "Go. Rest. I will stay with him and call you, should you be needed."

"Yes, Master." Fitz paused, his hand on the door knob. They were alone in the room, Thomas having gone long before, and now the pale eyes gave Fox a warm glance. "He will be fine, Moss, my word." A wink, and he was gone.

Fox returned to the bed, lying close beside Sable and watching him sleep. He meant to only watch, but the stress of the day combined with the hard work he'd been doing, ensured that very soon, Fox was snoring softly, too.

xx

"So, Jade, tell me, how would you spend your last evening in the big city?" They were in the tub, a place growing to be a favorite of Alex's, reclining in the last of the heated water. It had cooled considerably as they first bathed, then played in the fragrant wet, not trying to truly reach satisfaction, they were still sated from before, but only enjoying the touch of one another.

Even now, Alonzo was cupping and caressing the globes of Alex's rear, while Alex lapped at the seneschal's nipples, lazily running his tongue across the nubs, as though over a sugar stick.

"I do not know, Alonzo. There are too many choices, it but confuses me."

"I thought as much. I had the innkeeper send up a list of things that will be happening in the city this even, special events open to the public. If you will pause in your tasting of me, I believe I can even reach it from here."

Alex smiled, mischievously giving a tiny nip to the flesh under his tongue. Alonzo startled, then playfully pinched his bottom for it, winking even as he let the younger man up. Turning, Alonzo saw the list on the table behind them, and knelt in the tub, leaning over the edge for the paper.

Behind him, Alex watched the play of the slender muscles, and went with compulsion. Taking the backside into his hands, he squeezed gently, before letting his thumbs trail into the cleft.

"Is this comfortable?"

"A moment." Scooping up one of the towels, Alonzo cushioned the lip of the tub, then obediently settled back in place across it, nodding. He was smiling broadly, for Alex had not asked consent to touch him so, had merely taken the lover's choice of seeing him and acting on his desire.

Moving closer, Alex spoke gently, "You will tell me, do I act wrongly?"

"Of course. It is understood between us." Alonzo smiled over his shoulder, uncertain what the slave had planned, but fairly certain that it would be pleasant.

Reassured by the smile, Alex reached forward, sweeping the hair off of Alonzo's neck and shoulders, and then pressed a gentle kiss to the nape revealed. He began kissing his way down the scarred back, dragging his tongue along the nobs of the spine, hinted at under the muscle. Alonzo groaned and reached back with his hands, intending to caress Alex while he explored. To his surprise, a tentative grip on his hands moved them slowly and carefully back around front.

Hearing the unspoken request, Alonzo deliberately placed his hands on the lip of the tub and nodded, winking over his shoulder to show Alex it was fine.

The yielding meant something to Alex, though he could not for his life express what. He only knew that seeing Alonzo hold the position for him sent a wave of tenderness and love through him, and he continued kissing his way down the man's back, before parting the slight muscles and letting his tongue explore.

"Dear Saints, Jade!" Alonzo drew in a sharp breath as the sensations assaulted him. Soon, he was writhing under the touch, and Alex saw the man's erection frantically attempting to gain purchase against the slick side of the tub.

Reaching out, Alex drew one of Alonzo's hands down to his erection, and the man gratefully began to stroke himself to the timing of Alex's tongue.

With a loud groan of pure pleasure, Alonzo spilled into the towel that had been cushioning him, and then slumped back into the water, resting against Alex's chest, held up by his strong arms. Alex brushed the hair from the man's eyes, feeling the thumping of Alonzo's heart right through his back, as he lay there.

Kissing the side of Alonzo's neck soothingly, Alex felt it again, that tender regard and affection, and he knew now that it was because the man was trusting him. Not the trust they shared every day, but more than that. Alonzo trusted him as a free man, as a lover, as an equal. It meant a great deal, holding the panting, spent form and knowing Alonzo had given him this body freely, had not placed a single condition on it except those forbidden by law. It was a gift, and Alex suddenly realized that it was a gift he felt worthy of. He deserved this, it was his by right of being a man.

Smiling tenderly against Alonzo's head, Alex whispered softly, "My lord, you know my heart, so you know how I mean this. I love you, Alonzo. I am honored that the Goddess chose you to show me this part of myself. You have taught me so much, and while it is not my motivation, I am most grateful to you, my lord. You make me feel free, Alonzo, never more so than when you gift me with your body. Alonzo, you will ever be my lover."

Alonzo, feeling the tears sting his eyes, and unable to hold them back, half turned, and let Alex further hold him while he cried. Savoring the feel of giving comfort, Alex kissed the top of his head.

"But I still have no idea what I wish to do this even."

A choked snort of amusement came from the vicinity of his chest, and Alex smiled again.

xx

"I'm sorry."

Sable's eyes had scarcely more than opened under Fox's watchful, worried gaze, before he'd said the words in a whisper, sincere and full of regret. But his eyes, while still troubled, were clear now, and Fox was fairly sure that Sable was over his shock.

"You are forgiven." Fox leaned over, kissing the man tenderly. "How are you feeling?"

"Like an idiot."

Fox had to grin at this proof that the man was himself once more. "I was referring to your body, but that, too, gives me information." Reaching out, Fox cupped the man's face. "I am going to call Fitz, and then send down for a tray. You will let our dear Fitz examine you and you will follow his orders to the letter. You will also eat when the tray arrives. You will not work this even or the morrow and you will only work the day after with Fitz' permission."

Shame-faced, Sable nodded. "Yes, Master."

"No. Please, you have another name for me, and I long to hear it." Fox let a touch of his fear of earlier escape, and Sable drew him down onto his chest.

"Oh, Moss, I'm sorry, honestly sorry."

"Please, we can talk of that later, if we must. For now, only hold me, please, beloved."

Sable's arms came around him instantly, warm and solid, and Fox shuddered slightly with relief. He was okay. Sable was okay.

"Don't hurt your hand."

"I won't, Moss. Hush, let me hold you." Sable felt the man nod against his chest, and knew just how badly Fox must have been frightened. Reaching out with his good hand, Sable pulled the bell rope.

Soon there was a knock at the door.

"Enter."

If Thomas found it odd that Sable should bid him enter the master's chambers, he gave no sign of it. Indeed, his face showed his relief at the tableau before him, taking it as the good omen it was.

"Shall I inform Fitz and Leona that Sable is awake, Master?"

Fox nodded, not quite ready to speak. It was enough, and with a slight bow, Thomas withdrew.

"Moss? May I sleep here tonight? I don't want to be alone." This simple statement brought Fox back into caregiver mode.

"You will sleep nowhere else this even or the next. And you need not be alone, not for a minute, love. I will see to that."

At the soft knock, Fox called enter, and Fitz arrived. The healer smiled at both of them, but he could see that Sable was himself again. Reaching out for the bandage, he began to carefully undo the wrapping. As he did so, he looked up briefly into Sable's face, before speaking gently but very firmly.

"You are not to ever do such a thing again."

"No, Fitz." The stabler accepted the scolding, mild though it was, from his friend, and with a satisfied nod, Fitz continued to gently undo the wrapping. He pulled the pad away, knowing the ointment would have kept it from sticking, and was pleased to see the edges of the cut were remaining together naturally.

"You will not need stitches, I don't think, but it was a near thing. I will re-bandage this for you now, and again in the morning. In addition, you suffered no little blood loss. That takes time to recover from, and so I will prescribe a tonic for you for the next week. And rest assured, it will be as foul as I can make it."

"Yes, Fitz." Sable rolled his eyes, but again, accepted his due.

"You are not to work tomorrow. The day after you may do so, but you are not to use that hand. Do not wiggle the fingers overmuch, and do not flex, especially, nor lift. Do you cheat those instructions, I will bind your arm to your chest from wrist to elbow, is that clear, my dear friend?"

"Quite." There was a hint of Sable's normal growl in the word, and Fitz looked up, facing both men with a bright smile.

"How is it possible to miss such a contrary sound as Sable's growl when he is put upon?" Chuckling, ignoring the mock dark look from Sable, Fitz continued on. "You need not stay in bed beyond this evening, and that only because the medicine I am going to give you, will make you drowsy and mayhap dizzy. You may engage in quiet activity, and, forgive me, you may also engage in sexual activity, provided you do so slowly and gently, and let your partner do the work. You need to eat. While you do so, I shall fix your drink for this evening, and your tonic for the morrow. Take your medicine and then stay in bed this evening, and I shall check on you in the morning. Are there any questions?"

"I can't think of any. Moss?"

Fox shook his head, and Fitz gathered his things, heading out the door. He'd no sooner closed it behind him than it opened again. Leona brought a tray over and set it on the table beside the bed.

"Here you are then, the excellent supper you slept through earlier. Shall I feed you?"

"I'll do it, Leona, thank you." Fox stood, coming around the bed and drawing up a chair.

"Of course. Call if you need anything else. I'm working on a special treat for Alonzo, and will be up a good deal longer."

"You're making honey sheets?" Sable asked it with some hope, being nearly as fond of the treat as Alonzo.

"I am, and no, you may not have any until tomorrow, when Alonzo does. And no pouting, or I'll keep yours back entirely."

"Yes, ma'am." Sable responded, as always, to the motherly air of the woman by teasing, but in truth, he was very fond of her. She smiled down at him now, pressed a kiss to his forehead and left with a wave.

When she had gone, Fox helped Sable sit up, propping him on pillows and tucking a linen square across his chest. He lifted the tray lid, picking up a spoon and the plate.

"Moss?"

"Yes, love?" Sable realized that Fox had called him love or beloved more times in this one afternoon than in a standard month.

"How bad was I?"

The spoon shook hard enough to drop the contents back on the plate, and Fox put it down, scrubbing at his face with his hands. "Do you remember what you told me in the barn?"

"No."

"That's how bad you were." The plain fact that he'd blanked it out told Sable a great deal. "Sable, what's the last thing you remember?"

"He touched you."

"What?" Fox felt his brow crinkle, for he had no memory of Lord Charles touching him.

"When he was getting into the carriage, he put his hand on your arm. I couldn't...the thought of that bastard touching you...all I could see was his hand, holding that bloody whip, and his hand holding my papers, his hand directing his men to take my keep and lands, to kill all that had been with my family or served them, anyone that would know me. And it touched you. I couldn't stand the thought of it, the sight of it. I was terrified that he would taint you somehow, that if he touched you, your life would come to ruin next. The thought that you might suffer because of that man made me furious. It was like the air began to go red, and I could hear nothing, feel nothing. The next thing I knew, I was in the infirmary, and you were telling Fitz I'd cut my hand."

Fox swallowed hard. He'd come close, very close to losing Sable to his rage, he saw that now. It had been too long since Sable had spoken of his past. In fact, now that Fox thought on it, Sable had never spoken of anything but the merest facts. He'd told him of his treatment, but he'd never spoken of the feelings associated with his capture and fall into slavery.

Clearing his throat and picking up the spoon, beginning to feed Sable, Fox told the stabler what had happened in the barn, what he'd told Fox about his motives and what he'd done.

There was silence for long minutes, as Fox fed Sable, both men lost in thought. When the tray was emptied, Fox helped Sable with the chamber pot, and then washed both their hands and faces, before climbing back onto the bed with the man.

"Master?" Sable used the word deliberately, and Fox, having sensed what was coming, spoke resignedly.

"Yes, Sable?"

"Are you going to punish me?"

"That is complicated, Sable. I am going to make you do a few things, but they are not meant to be punishment. I wish you to meet with Fitz, once a week, and speak to him of that time. You may do it from the confessional, if that makes it easier for you. If he prescribes you a penance or a task to help you with a point, I will expect you to follow his directions. You have kept too much of your earlier past tight within you, Sable, and it has much power as a result. Too much power."

Fox moved so that he was now facing Sable, and his eyes were very serious.

"Sable, I must take part of the blame for this on myself. I have only just realized that there is much of your past we have not discussed. I know the facts, but not what lies behind them. Had I known what the sight of this man might mean to you, I could, perhaps, have prepared both of us better. I let you go too long without speaking to me. In part, that is because you were already my slave before I became the master, and so it is different with us. Plus, well, our love made it even more different."

He chewed briefly at his bottom lip, and then continued on.

"Sable, in the barn I told you that you had made the right choice, and for the choices you felt you had, you did. But you also failed to tell me or anyone what seeing this man again would do to you."

"I did not know, Master! I swear to you, I thought I was able to handle it."

"I thought so as well, Sable. I should have known from your reaction when you told me he was coming, that it went deeper. Again, that was my fault. And at the heart of this, Sable, is the fact that you were afraid. I never punish a slave for being afraid, never. I will not, however, let you continue being afraid. That is why you will speak to Fitz, and to whomever you need to, until the fear is manageable."

Fox paused, moving to the sideboard and pouring himself a cup of wine.

"Your anger is another matter."

Fox turned, looking at Sable with a frightening intensity. "Sable, you lost complete control of nearly all ration. You nearly took a man's life with me as witness, and you cared not for the consequences for yourself. That is unacceptable, no matter who the man is. Were you defending yourself, then yes, fine, by all means, take life if it is needful. This was not."

Taking a slow sip, Fox ran a finger around the edge of the cup thoughtfully.

"Sable, I know you were trained in arms as a youth, and you have had some training here, but when was the last time you seriously engaged in weapons training of any sort?"

Surprised by the question, Sable frowned slightly, thinking hard. "Aside from the yearly remedial course by the Captain, it has been nearly eight years, Master."

"I thought as much. Sable, I am ordering you, once you are well, to report to the Captain. Tell her I wish you to find a new method of fighting, something you are not already trained in, and begin training in it. You will also tell her that you need help with controlling your rage. That you are slow to anger but once angered, you lose yourself. The training may take any form, so long as it taxes you, and is a real challenge."

"Yes, Master." Sable wasn't pleased at the thought of explaining to the Captain about his anger, but he had to admit, he was more than a little excited at the thought of fight training again. He had always loved it, had only given it up when he'd had no choice as a slave but to focus on other things.

"And that is all I can do, Sable. Nothing else can I say or do, to try and ensure you never risk such again. Never again."

Sable was quiet, thinking over all that the master had said, and now he shook his head. "Master, you're very kind and very forgiving. And I know your reasons for not punishing me are valid. But I am in control of myself now, and I know what it is that I nearly did. Be honest, Master, had I killed him, what would you have done?"

"The truth? The deepest truth, that I shame myself to admit?" When Sable nodded, Fox spoke in a bleak whisper. "I do not know. I like to think I would have done nothing worse than hide you and seek a method for your defense. But I might as easily have killed the lady, as well, and hidden both our crimes. I cannot say, Sable. I cannot say."

It was a tense pause, both men full of fear at what had nearly happened.

"Master, I ask that you punish me. Mayhap you are right, and I do not deserve punishment, but I feel I need it. And not simply for myself, Master. For you, as well. I cannot let your love shield me from this, just as you have never let my love be your shield from doing what you must."

Fox sighed, rubbing a spot between his eyebrows. "And this is what I meant by the question of your punishment being complicated. Very well, if I must, then I shall, but it will be most severe, Sable, I can do no less."

"I understand, Master."

"You are confined to the grounds for the next two months. You are confined to your rooms, save for work purposes, for two weeks. That includes your meal times, and while I will allow you one visitor a day, as usual, you will have only fifteen minutes, not half of an hour. In addition, you will be docked the pay for your normal working hours that are lost to your recovery time. That money will instead be donated to the cause of your choice."

Lord Fox usually continued to pay the slaves that were injured, a half-wage only, but it was a security.

"You will write me a paper detailing your early life, in as much detail as possible, not stopping until you came to Samstar Fields. You will be as honest as possible. I want it all written out, every bit of it, Sable, leaving out nothing that you can think of. And not just the facts, Sable. I want to know what you felt, what you thought, how it affected you. Is that clear, Sable?"

"Yes, Master. I understand." And he did, and he dreaded it.

"I am also taking the knife you used. When the Captain tells me you have learned to control your rage, you may have it back, but not until. That is not forbidding you from using such, just not that particular knife."

Sable nodded that he understood the difference, and Fox continued.

"That is all, Sable. Your confinement will begin the day after tomorrow. Are there any questions?"

"No, Master."

"Then we are finished." Moving back to the bed, Fox sat down again, leaning forward to kiss Sable.

"Almost finished." Sable whispered it, and with a frustrated sigh, Fox motioned for Sable to turn over. He'd hoped to skip this part, but Sable was a man of honor, damn it all, and while he couldn't fault the man for wishing to be fair, Fox didn't have to like the outcome.

Drawing down the covers, raising the nightshirt, Fox placed a single, solid spank on the muscles, then covered him back up.

"And do not think of arguing it is not enough. You are injured and it is enough. Say otherwise and I shall add the flavor of soap to Fitz's tonic."

Sable, having turned over, gave a horrified shiver. "No, Master, anything but that!"

Grinning, Fox reached down again, and this time, Sable made no move to stop the kiss. Or the one that followed it. In fact, they were well on the way to foreplay, Lord Fox nearly having his shirt completely undone, when the knock at the door came.

Swearing as he recalled Fitz needing to give Sable a night time medicine, Fox drew his shirt close about himself, and called enter.

Fitz took one look at both men and grinned. "I shall hurry, Master."

Fox, to the amusement of both Sable and Fitz, blushed. He glared good-naturedly at his slaves, until Fitz had made the tonic and given it to Sable. Taking a deep breath and holding it, Sable quickly pitched it down his throat, trying to avoid tasting it at all.

He wasn't entirely successful, and now he made a face at the aftertaste.

"Not a word, Sable, not a single word."

"Not even thank you?" Sable's eyes showed he was sincere, and Fitz placed his lips on the man's forehead, checking for fever and being affectionate, with the same gesture.

"I would allow a thank you, were one necessary. Now, you must stay in bed, the tonic is strong and will work quickly. I will see you in the morning. Good night, Sable, good night, Master."

When Fitz had gone, Sable used his good hand to reach out to Fox. "Moss?"

"Yes, Sable?"

"Make love to me, please? Fitz has said we might, provided we are slow and gentle, and you must do the work for both of us. I need you, Moss, I need to be reassured of what I nearly lost. Please, Moss? Take me."

In all their lovemaking, Fox had only taken Sable the one time, that first time, needed to banish the memory of that horrible performance they had given for the Arch Duke. Every time since, Fox had been the recipient. Now, tonight, he knew this was right, that Sable needed to be the one taken.

Leaning down, he began by undressing the both of them and moving Sable to the center of the bed. He gathered the tin of ointment and placed it by the bed. They used no skins, both of them had been celibate enough through the years and careful enough with those few partners, that Fitz had given them his blessing to leave them off.

Lying down beside Sable, Fox began simply enough, by taking the man into his arms and kissing him. Fox sometimes thought he treasured this freedom nearly as much as he did the ability to have full relations with the man. To kiss Sable, to offer his mouth, to take Sable's tongue with his own, this gentle intimacy never failed to move Fox. He adored kissing Sable, could cheerfully spend an entire afternoon doing nothing but that, and he had.

His kisses this time were just as leisurely, just as unhurried, were still a thorough tasting and touching of that strong opening. But this time his kisses also had a purpose. Fox had sworn to make the day up to Sable, and so he would. And it would begin here, with his kisses, his mouth. At one point Fox even reached up with this fingertips, trailing them along Sable's bottom lip as his tongue explored the top.

He nibbled at the firm jawline, he tasted the delicate skin of each eyelid. Fox followed the intricate path of each ear, and down a strong neck, licking firmly across the scar line. He bit at Sable's Adam's apple, he mapped a collarbone with tongue and lips, he left a chain of marks across the man's neck, not caring, for once, if they showed above his clothing.

His hands, too, were busy, sliding over strong arms, tangling in the hair of Sable's chest, cupping the back of his neck. Fox's fingertips and palms and even the backs of his hands were used to stroke, to awaken, to ensure that no place was unloved.

When his mouth reached the pebbled nipples of Sable's chest, Fox merely lay down atop the man and began to suckle. It was nursing, pure and simple, and if there was no milk to fortify him, the tenderness and intimacy of the moment flowed freely enough to satisfy them both. Fox had turned Sable to the side now, and drawn one heavy leg up and over his hip, giving his hands access to Sable's thickened cock, the full testicles, swelling as their sack was teased with gentle fingernails, that delicate bridge of skin that separated the man front from back.

Fox ran his hands from Sable's neck to his waist, he caressed the slight flare of a hipbone. He turned Sable onto his back again and let his tongue trail wetly down the muscled abdomen, biting gently at the flesh when it contracted, lapping at it when it went lax. His fingers teased the pale crease of Sable's inner thighs, then slid down to the hollow at the back of his knee, when Fox's tongue claimed the higher ground.

Sable was quivering under his touch, like a mutinous stallion knowing he's going to be ridden but unwilling to wait for the rider, head thrashing, using all of his willpower not to close his injured hand. Fitz had braced the fingers, wrapping them tightly so that he couldn't, but Sable still had to be careful. It wasn't easy, Fox was driving him mad, and the man had yet to touch Sable's straining organ in more than passing.

"Oh, gods, Fox, love..." It was very rare indeed that Sable used that name, and Fox smiled against Sable's instep, nipping it lightly.

"Roll over, beloved." With a groan, Sable obeyed, and Fox began the trip back up. He loved the back of the man as thoroughly as he had the front, and when he'd reached Sable's scalp, he drew his tongue across it, as well.

Fox was lying fully atop Sable, knowing he wasn't too heavy for the stabler, the broad back and shoulders more than capable of supporting his weight, and now Fox's own erection was nudging at the very bottom of Sable's cleft. The solid thighs parted eagerly, and Sable squirmed, trying to get Fox to enter him.

"Shhh. Hush, love, still. Be still, remember?"

"I can't! Moss, please, love, take me!"

"Not just yet. It is time you allowed me my way with you, as you never have before. You know what I want, Sable. Have I your consent?" The words were an erotic whisper in his ear, against his overheated skin, and while he stiffened for just a moment, Fox's fingers were squeezing at his nipple, and the sparks were shooting past his head.

"Yes. Yes, you have my consent, only take me soon, Moss, please!"

"I will, Sable, I will, my love." Kissing his way back down, Fox began to nip and tease the rounded hind cheeks, parting them slowly, before letting his tongue flicker across the hidden inner core.

Sable's entire body flexed, but Fox had become skilled at keeping his larger lover in place, and he did so now, not intending to be denied this previously forbidden act. Sable had never allowed him to do this, had always let embarrassment keep him from it, but tonight, he was past all such false modesty. As Fox's tongue worked his opening, Sable switched from stallion to mare in heat. He parted his thighs wantonly, arched his back, and sounded his pleasure loudly with every touch.

At last, when neither man had the patience to wait any longer, Fox dipped his fingers in the ointment, and was not too surprised when the man opened to him easily.

"Moss, I'm ready, I need no tender preparation. Take me, damn you!" The man was fisting the sheets with his good hand, and the growl in his voice said clearly that he would wait not much longer. Taking Sable at his word, Fox positioned the head of his cock at the hungry opening and pushed, taking Sable in one long, fluid stroke, right up to his balls.

Panting, trembling, Sable didn't dare move, and neither did Fox, both men too close. After a long moment, Fox began a gentle rocking, before turning Sable, still impaled, over onto his back. The turning alone nearly did them in, but Fox bit his lip hard, wanting to be able to see into that handsome face, those dark eyes nearly black with passion.

Moving carefully, Fox lifted one of Sable's sturdy legs, balancing it on his shoulder, then the other, opening the man to him fully. Using his own weight to hold him so, Fox began to move with a deliberate, smooth rhythm, making sure he found that little spot within Sable on every stroke.

Sable was bucking under him, and Fox had to actually reach across and grip one of the posts of his headboard, to keep Sable bent under him. It pinned the larger man effectively, and Sable made desperate sounds as Fox's organ now penetrated him without pause or mercy.

At last, sensing his own nearness, Fox took Sable's heavy erection into his hand, pumping firmly in counter rhythm to his deepest thrusts. It did not take long for Sable to find his finish, crying out "Moss!" so loudly, Fitz heard it in his chambers across the hall.

Swearing softly at the sound and the imagery it evoked, the priest grudgingly opened his own robes.

For his part, Fox managed to keep his eyes open and hold off until the last of Sable's own spasms and sounds had finished, before finding his own completion in a single, further thrust. Spilling deeply into the stabler, Fox's cry echoed off the chamber walls, nearly a match for Sable's earlier roar.

Now, moving carefully, both men exhausted and spent, uncaring for wet spots, they clung to each other.

"Oh, gods, Sable, I could have lost you, love, lost you horribly. Please, love, you must never do such again, I need you, Sable, I must have you in my life, I cannot do this without you...."

The words were a mumbled rush, as Fox finally released his own worry and fear, his own pain, in a torrent of cries that took him into sleep. Holding him close, Sable offered no words, only let exhaustion and medication lead him to sweet oblivion with his lover.

xx

"You wish me to do what?" Alex was too stunned to be polite, and now, as he paused in brushing out his hair, Alonzo chuckled, low and deep.

"I wish you to dance with me, once we are there."

Alex had, after recovering from their lovemaking, picked up the list and read it carefully before choosing a musical performance. It was a group of traveling minstrels, and there would be both ballads and epic poems, along with dancing music.

"But I cannot dance, my lord!" Alex bit at his lip, worried. Alonzo was by him in an instant, and soothing the bitten lip with a kiss.

"Then you need not dance. This is for pleasure, Jade, nothing more. Relax, sweet."

"My apologies, Alonzo. I am still somewhat frightened of a crowd, and while I am most anxious to hear the music, I would very much rather we heard it alone."

Alonzo pulled the slight form into his arms, rubbing the slave's back comfortingly. "That is easily understood, Jade, but I fear it is not an attitude I can encourage. The master wishes you to become comfortable in all settings, to take the teeth from all things that frighten you. While I am afraid that task is too Herculean for even our venerable master, it is worth the effort, and some fears are more easily slain than others. To become used to a crowd, one must go into the crowd. The trick, little Jade, is to realize that people are no more watching your every movement than you are theirs."

Alex nodded, the wisdom of it was sound; it was the thought of the execution that left him concerned.

Alonzo, sensing this, knowing from experience that only time and repeated exposure would truly help the slave overcome, only kissed his forehead and patted his rear. "Come, sweet. It is time we left."

"Yes, Alonzo."

It was not far from the inn, and so they walked to the large open field, bigger than the commons, being here, on the edge of the city. There was a large rectangle of flooring, temporary only, but smooth and level for dancing, and a small stage, more permanent, for the musicians. A large crowd had gathered, and now Alonzo paid their admission, received two wooden tokens, proof they had paid, and led Alex by the hand through the throng, and to a spot near the center.

He could feel the boy shaking and so turned him, back to chest, his arms wrapping around Alex's arms and chest, not letting the boy hide his face, but reassuring him that he was safe. Leaning forward, Alonzo spoke quietly into Alex's ear, just making conversation, until the boy'd relaxed, and the musicians had taken their places.

The ballads and poems were first, and Alex was soon lost in the words, listening so avidly, Alonzo scarcely knew he was breathing. It was only after the first poem, when Alex turned and hastily whispered, "I cannot wait to teach that one to Thomas!" that Alonzo remembered the young man's fairy gift.

Of course. Alex would not only have the pleasure of these songs and poems this one night but for many nights after, and would share them happily with those at Samstar Fields. Soon, the keep's musicians and singers would have a new program to liven up the long winter evenings. Smiling, glad that Alex was clearly having such a wonderful time, Alonzo let himself drift mentally for the next several songs, until Alex nudged him gently.

"I'm sorry, Jade, I was wool gathering. What did you need?"

"I need to relieve myself, my lord." Alex hated discussing such things, but apparently, he'd drunk more ale than usual this evening.

Alonzo pointed the way to where a tented area provided modesty for the maidens and a target for the men. Alex smiled at him and headed over.

He was in line and waiting silently, when a rough hand pushed him down and onto the ground. "What the saint's do you think you're doing, boy?" The voice was angry, harsh, and Alex immediately knelt, dropping his head and eyes, hunching.

"I'm sorry, my lord. I was told..."

"You dare speak without being bidden?"

He never even saw the backhand coming, but it took him over and back nearly two feet. He didn't cry out, his body remembering that to do so only invited more pain. He lay still where he'd fallen, and a large boot drew back to kick him in the middle of the back.

It never landed, and Alex opened his eyes to see that his attacker was now lying on the ground. Looking up, Alex saw that Alonzo stood over him, every line of his body promising menace. In the coldest, hardest voice Alex had ever heard from anyone at Samstar Fields, the seneschal spoke.

"That is my slave you dared to put your filthy hands on. To touch him is to touch what is mine, and I do not like having my things touched." There was nearly a visible pause between the last few words, and Alex swallowed hard, looking around, knowing that he might have to help Alonzo fight his way out of here. "You will apologize to me, at once, or I shall break at least one, possibly two bones of my choosing, as recompense for your vile mistreatment of what is mine. Do you not concede then, I shall break as many as I feel necessary to convince you otherwise."

The man, built along the scale of Sable, was back on his feet now, and wiping at the blood that trickled down his face. He was nearly purple with rage, but Alonzo merely looked at him with cool patience, face made of granite, eyes made of flame.

"You think you can best me, little man?"

"I know I can best you, that is not in doubt, as I am, quite obviously, the better man. The question is only, will you apologize, as you should, for laying hands on another man's slave, or will you mull the lesson over as you wait for your hand to mend?" Again, Alonzo's voice held only the bitter chill of a winter's midnight, and Alex shuddered, frightened.

The larger man gave an ugly laugh, and spat in Alonzo's general direction.

Alonzo gave a small, tiny smile, that made the crowd they had drawn, cringe.

"Here, Alonzo!" It was Matthew, Tilde beside him and looking worried. The man came up beside the seneschal who had known better than to let his eyes move from his opponent. He continued to speak, while staring right through the man, despite the casual, almost conversational tone in his voice.

"Ah, Matthew, Tilde, good timing, my friends. Tell me, is your son with you?"

"I am, my lord."

"Excellent. With your father's consent, would you kindly escort your mother and my slave to the nearest safe shelter? I would be most grateful, as I have some business here, yet."

Matthew nodded, motioning to his wife and child. Alex stood, not wanting to make the matter worse, but unwilling to leave.

"Jade, do you value both our lives, you will not argue by so much as a moment's pause. I have the support of the crowd, the backing of Matthew and but this one sheep's ass to deal with. All will be well, Jade, I promise you so. But do not give the crowd reason to turn or doubt me. Obey me at once, and obey my friends until I return. Am I understood?" Alonzo had whispered it all to Alex as he fastened the lead to Alex's collar.

"Yes, Master." The words were the only ones Alex dared to use just then, and with a wink, Alonzo handed the leash to Tilde.

"Good boy."

Alex turned, walking away as fast as he could, and remained behind the woman holding his leash. He did not look back, even when a faint roar from the small crowd told him the fight had begun.

It was not very far to a small drinks shop, and Tilde led them into its quiet, well lit interior.

Alex knelt, as was required when Tilde sat at the table, her son keeping watch from the doorway. He longed to take the boy's place, but knew he would not be allowed. Tilde said something to the barmaid, but Alex wasn't listening, his mind on the fight he'd left behind him. Trembling, he startled violently when Tilde's hand lightly touched his shoulder. She had a cloth, cold and wet with the water she'd asked the barmaid for. She now pressed it gently to his cheek, where he'd been hit. Alex winced slightly, but her touch was light.

"Jade, was it?"

"Yes, Mistress." Alex was too frightened to notice which word he used, and Tilde hastened to reassure him.

"He will be fine, Jade. I do not think you have known Alonzo long, else you would not worry so. I assure you, he can handle far more than one drunken lout."

"May I speak?" After earlier, Alex was back on full manners, and Tilde sighed softly. The sound brought to mind that she, too, had served the master.

"Of course, Jade. You do not need my permission."

"Thank you, Mistress. I would not offend, but I would know, do you say such to stop my fear, or is Alonzo a skilled fighter?"

"No offense taken, Jade. I say such because I have personally seen Alonzo beat three men at one time, all of them larger than himself. He is lean, but deceptively so, and he does not miss a thing that might be to his advantage. Alonzo is quite skilled, he shall be here very shortly, I would think. In fact, I will wager he will arrive smiling smugly and looking as though he just had a marvelous time. For, though he is a peaceable man, once the fight is engaged, he takes great pleasure in winning it. He is not to be trifled with, Jade. He is, in truth, most deadly, does he choose to be."

Alex, relaxing some at the sound of truth and confidence in Tilde's tone, nodded. It was only a few moments later that she laughed softly.

"Look you, Jade."

Raising his head, Alex saw that Alonzo was now entering the shop, having seen Tilde's son, and was indeed, smiling most smugly. His hair was mussed, and he was the tiniest bit winded, but his eyes sparkled with a look Alex recognized vaguely from the bedchamber.

His relief was immense, and Alex could hold himself back no longer. He stood, running to Alonzo, and being embraced tightly.

"There, there, Jade. All is well. I promised you it would be so, did I not?" Alonzo's voice was light, teasing even, but Alex could only nod against the man's chest.

Matthew, coming in behind them, chuckled, slapping Alonzo on the shoulder. "You should have seen him, Tilde. He's lost not one bit of his skills. If anything, he is more skilled than ever. The man never laid a hand on him."

"Doubtless. And you, Alonzo, what did you do to that beast?"

"Exactly what I said I would do, dear friend. I always keep my word." Alonzo said this with a faint shrug, still comforting Alex.

"You broke his hand?" The boy, having joined his father, now looked up with wide eyes.

"No, I broke his hand and one foot. On opposite sides, of course. He had a family, else I would have done far worse. No one touches what is mine." At this, Alonzo tilted Alex's head back gently. "Let me see your face, Jade. Did he hurt you?" The voice and touch were gentleness personified, and Alex relaxed as he saw that Alonzo really was fine.

"I am unharmed, my lord. The mistress put a compress on it."

Alonzo's brows drew together slightly at the word, but he only smiled down at Alex, kissing the bright red print that marred his face. "She is a kind soul. I thank you, my friends, your arrival was most fortuitous."

"We were only glad to be there for you, Alonzo. I must say, it does take me back." Matthew chuckled, and Alonzo gave a conspiratorial nod. He gathered his family and they took their leave, with Alex barely managing to say his thanks loudly enough to be heard, but he smiled sincerely at them, and it seemed enough.

When they had gone, Alonzo purchased an ale, downed it easily, and then motioned to Alex. The barkeep nodded, and reached under the bar, where he kept the slave cups. He poured a small measure and handed it over. Alex drank it because Alonzo put it to his lips, but he had no taste for it. Alonzo paid the man, and then took Alex's face into his hands.

"Now, Jade. You will come with me to the tents, we shall see to our needs, and then we shall return to the music. I am owed a dance."

"Must we, Alonzo?" Alex, not quite daring to argue, asked it whisper soft, and Alonzo nodded regretfully.

"Yes, Jade. If only so that you may see what happened earlier as the fluke it was. It was the exception, not the rule, Jade, and you need to see this for yourself. We need not stay as long as planned, but we will return and we will take in the music. That is not a request, my sweet, but needful for your sake."

"Yes, my lord." Alex wasn't happy with it, but there was nothing he could do but follow meekly. Alonzo took the leash off, and led them back to the entrance. The seneschal showed the gatekeeper their wooden tokens, and once they were admitted, Alonzo walked Alex back to the privy tents, without hesitation. Alex noticed that the others waved them to the front of the line, and that Alonzo, once in the small cloth structure, looked quite pleased with that fact.

When they had finished, Alonzo paid a pewter for them to wash their hands and then returned them to their original place around the stage. Alex was clinging to his side, and Alonzo allowed it, for the moment. After two songs, Alex had eased back a bit, and after three, Alex was standing upright beside him, if not a hair's breadth away.

Another song, and Alex looked up, meeting Alonzo's eyes with a shy smile. Reaching down, Alonzo kissed Alex, kissed him deeply, a lover's kiss, uncaring who looked their way. Alex gave in to it eagerly, finding a great comfort in the touch.

"I am most proud of you, Jade. Most proud."

"Thank you, my lord."

With a wink, Alonzo again took Alex into his embrace, holding the man so that Alex's back was nestled against his chest. Alex's hands shyly wrapped around the arms holding him close, and he gave a small sigh. His face still hurt, but it wasn't bad. Still, it had been odd to be struck again after so long a time. It made it both easier and more difficult to bear. Easier, because he no longer wondered would the blows ever end, but more difficult because he now knew them to be unjust. Odd though it might sound to one that had never been a slave, the thought that a blow was unfair, had never crossed Alex's mind, until well after arriving at Samstar Fields. Until he knew that they weren't necessary to keep slaves in line, that they weren't needful to maintain control, that all masters did not, in fact, beat their slaves without care or reason. Not until he'd known that first touch of the master's hand in punishment, had all the other blows suddenly been revealed for what they were.

"Jade, sweet, if you need to return to the inn, we shall."

Alonzo's voice broke through his thoughts, full of tender regard. Turning in the man's arms, Alex shook his head. The fears of earlier were gone, lost in the slow realization that Alonzo was right. The drunk had been an exception to all those that had treated him well here, and would not happen again, not here and now, at any rate. Not that Alonzo would let him be hurt. He might not be able to prevent the first blow, but the seneschal would never allow a second.

Smiling up at the man, Alex boldly wound his arms around Alonzo's neck. "Nay, my lord, for you have promised to teach me to dance."

A long, sweet kiss passed between them, and Alonzo led Alex to the dance floor. It was fairly full, and Alex saw that there were already slaves on the floor, dancing with their masters or with each other even. Apparently, this was permitted, and Alex allowed himself to relax his guard even further.

"Watch the dancers, Jade. See, it is but a simple combination, repeated. One and step left, two and step back...." Alonzo talked him through it, and with the visual representation and the spoken words, it was not long before Alex felt ready to try it.

Waiting for the beat, positioning his arms the way Alonzo had shown him, they began. It was a bit shaky at first, and Alex allowed his natural shyness to make him reluctant, but soon, the pleasure of moving to the music overrode his awkwardness, and his usual grace asserted itself.

They had a wonderful time, with Alonzo showing Alex the various steps and patiently guiding him through them. Laughing, spinning, Alex was a sight to behold, and more than a few men and women looked at him appreciatively.

One gentleman even made so bold as to approach them. He was an older man, hair fully grey, as was his beard, but he had kind blue eyes and a gentle smile.

"Good sir, I could not help but notice your lovely young slave. I mean no offense, nor would I spoil this evening for your slave, if it is a reward, but it has been a long time since I saw a youth so lovely, and with the consent of you both, I should like a dance. But again, I would not spoil this even for either of you. Have I your leave, to ask your slave for a dance?"

Alonzo studied the man thoughtfully, at last, nodding slowly. "Jade, you need not, if you are not comfortable. I am not ordering you to give leave or withhold it. But he has my consent to ask. The choice is yours, Jade, do you understand?"

"Yes, my lord." And Alex did. Looking up at the man, he felt that same kindness he'd known when he first looked at Lord Fox and his men, Alonzo included. This man meant him no harm.

"Young slave, would you grant an old man a dance, of your own free will?"

"I am honored for the asking, and gladly do so, my lord." Alex lowered his lashes very demurely as he said it, but there was a faint smile to his mouth, as well.

The old man bowed to Alonzo and smiled at Alex, holding out his hand. Taking a breath for courage, for he was nervous despite his willingness, Alex let the man lead him out onto the floor. While they danced, the older man never stopped smiling at him, and he made no move to hold Alex too close or too intimately. When the dance was ended, he returned Alex to Alonzo, again bowing.

"My thanks. He is a delight."

"He is that." Alonzo looked over at Alex with much fondness, causing the younger man to blush.

"Thank you, my lord. That was most pleasant." Overcome, Alex turned his face into Alonzo's arm, just a bit.

"You are most welcome." Looking around cautiously, the gentleman leaned close to Alonzo and whispered softly, "You may tell Lord Fox that General Timous sends his best regards. You may also tell him that, after considerable study and effort, he wishes to help in any way he can, having seen for himself the quality," and here he let his eyes linger on Alex, and even briefly, on Alonzo, "of both his process and product."

Alonzo peered intently into the man's eyes, doing his best to see within. "I shall pass along your kind words, General. I am sure they will be most welcome. I shall also pass along your kindness to his slave, and his former slave."

They exchanged a bow, and Alonzo watched the man walk away. "Little Jade, the master's life is possibly made easier. It is, at least, made more intriguing." That Alonzo was speaking to himself was apparent, but Alex knew the name of the man he'd danced with. He'd recognized it as one hated by his former master. Unable to corrupt the man, his former master had fought long and hard to keep the General neutral. It would seem now, that he had failed.

Alonzo, too, was aware of the man by name, if not by sight. Lord Fox had spoken of him often, grateful that the man remained neutral, if he should not prove friendly. He would need to tell Lord Fox of this as soon as they arrived. Leaving those thoughts to the morrow, Alonzo looked down at Alex, giving a brief tickle to the ribs nearest his fingers. While Alex laughed and squirmed away, Alonzo spoke quietly.

"Would you dance more, Jade, or are you ready to seek one last pleasure with me, before we end the evening?"

"I am always willing to seek pleasure with you, Alonzo." Alex spoke it in a sensual whisper, leaving no doubt as to his meaning.

The seneschal felt his blood, still warm from the earlier fight and the dancing, heat even further. He drew Alex into his arms and kissed him with such passion that there were good natured cat calls from the men around them.

Alex, blushing furiously, hid his face in Alonzo's chest. The older man chuckled, even as he wrapped protective arms around Alex.

"I warned you about teasing me overmuch, didn't I, little Jade?"

"Yes, my lord. But this was not the punishment we discussed." Alex peeked up, managing a smile despite his embarrassment.

"So, you would prefer a public spanking to my kisses?" Alonzo asked this playfully, those stern lips twitching.

"Never, my lord. Never." Alex tilted his face up, offering his mouth, as proof. His eyes were sparkling in the torchlight and his smile rivaled the stars that were already well out.

Accepting the generous offer, Alonzo took a last deep kiss, before taking Alex's hand in his and leading him toward the exit.

They walked back to the inn, grateful for their cloaks now that the dancing was ended. They had removed them during much of the dance, and now, as they cooled, Alonzo motioned that Alex should put his back on, while doing the same. They walked in quiet, not needing any words for the moment, content with each other's company.

When they reached the inn, Alex was surprised to be led into the main hall. It was nearly empty, with most of the lodgers having gone to enjoy the music. Alex knelt by Alonzo's chair, and when the girl arrived, she spoke softly.

"Your pardon, my lord, but he is permitted to sit with you at table."

"My thanks, I was about to enquire regarding that very thing. That is service indeed." He smiled and winked at her, making her blush prettily.

Alex, where he knelt, felt a hot sweep of jealousy, and it shocked him so completely, he failed to hear Alonzo order for them.

"Jade?" The voice was accompanied by a light touch on his shoulder, and Alex looked up, then quickly away again, ashamed of himself. He knew Alonzo had meant nothing by his flirting. To be jealous, when he himself had two loves awaiting him, was both hypocritical and ridiculous. "What is it, Jade?"

"I am ashamed, my lord."

"And what have you done that is shameworthy?" Alonzo kept his voice low and neutral, and Alex sighed, placing his head on the man's knee, feeling a gentle hand stroke across the top of it.

"The girl, my lord. You...well, you winked at her, and when she blushed...I was...jealous. I'm sorry, my lord. I would not blame you, were you to punish me."

To his surprise, Alonzo's voice took on a pleasantly surprised tone. "You do not tease? You were jealous over me?"

Alex looked up and saw a faint hint of insecurity in the dark depths. Risking a smile, now that he knew Alonzo wasn't going to scold him, Alex nodded. "I was, my lord. It was foolish, I know, and I have no need to feel so, but I did."

Alonzo struggled to be objective for a full thirty seconds before his mouth curved into a wide grin. "You were jealous over me, how wondrous! Thank you, Jade, that is the most flattering thing I have heard said of myself in quite some time."

Alex laughed, he couldn't help it, and Alonzo leaned down, kissing him fully on the mouth.

"Take a seat, silly one. Our order shall be here shortly."

"Yes, my lord. Though if we are going to discuss who is silly...." Peering up through his lashes, Alex deliberately batted them.

"Oh, dear. I see you've become quite spoiled in these two short days, Jade. This will never do. And I've no one to blame but myself. Think you Lord Fox will be very cross with me, when I return him such an arrogant princeling, instead of the sweet natured slave he loaned to me?"

Alex made his face very serious. "Oh, indeed, my lord. He will doubtless be furious. But what can be done? I am already spoiled so."

Mouth quirking attractively, Alonzo appeared to ponder the question. "I suppose I could attempt to humble you before we arrive back."

"How would you do that, my lord?" Alex put on his most coy face, and watched as Alonzo struggled mightily not to laugh, clearing his throat with the effort.

"Yes, well, I could begin by taking you across my knee."

"You could, my lord, though I must warn you, I seriously doubt the effectiveness of such, considering the circumstances."

"What circumstances would those be?"

"Well," Alex lowered his eyes and voice demurely, "I would want your punishment to be effective, so I would, of course, need to be naked across your lap. Once that happens, I do not think I shall be at risk for much of a beating. I might, perhaps, be skewered...."

Alonzo couldn't help it, he burst out laughing, and Alex followed suit. "Gods, Jade, but I shall miss you when I am gone." Alonzo had lifted one of Alex's hands, and now he kissed the palm of it, nipping lightly at the flesh.

"How much longer will you stay?" Alex had avoided the question, not wanting to think of Alonzo's absence, but he had to know.

"I am unsure, Jade. I think no more than a week. My keep is so far away, and I have been gone many days already. Then there is the return time to be figured in. I have asked Lang to send word for me, see if all is well. He has one bird trained to each of the master's keeps, it helps tremendously, but in the winter, sometimes messages and birds are lost. It is but late fall, I know, however winter storms are not uncommon by this time at my keep. I have considered it from every angle, and I always come back to the same answer. I should leave in four days, but I must leave within seven. There is nothing else for it, I can linger no longer than that."

Alex nodded and he ducked his head, feeling the pain stretch tight across his throat. A hand reached out, fingers gently tilting the face up, and Alonzo read the slave's face, hating that he was gratified by the pain there. But he was gratified, he was going to miss this young man horribly, and it was some small, if greedy, comfort to know that the slave was going to miss him just as much.

Leaning across, Alonzo ghosted a sweet kiss across Alex's lips, not wishing to do more in the public room. It could be excused at a dance, full of music and hot blood; here, in a quiet inn's hearthroom, it was not as easily explained.

Alex forced himself to smile, wanting the seneschal to know he was fine, merely upset at the thought of Alonzo's absence. The message was received, and as the serving girl approached, Alonzo released Alex's hand with a squeeze and a promise for later.

The girl set a steaming mug in front of Alonzo, then another, smaller one in front of Alex. In the middle, she set a dish of heavy cream, well-whipped, and an empty mug and spoon each. A small dish with long, very skinny red peppers was placed, with a knife and fork, by Alonzo.

"Ah, thank you, child. This looks exactly what I had in mind." He paid the girl, and when she had gone, Alonzo spoke with a smile to Alex. "This is something I feel you will very much enjoy, Jade. You remember that Leona said she was looking for cocoa beans for you?"

"Yes, Alonzo. Specifically for me."

"Well, this is a hot drink made from those beans."

Alex couldn't help it, he felt his nose wrinkle and his face showed his distaste at the thought of a bean drink. The contents of the mug smelled good, he had to admit, but the thought was repulsive.

Chuckling softly, Alonzo picked up a pepper, using the fork. "I am going to prepare you a mug of this made the way I prefer it, Jade, but as I do so, you should try it plain first. Pour about half of your drink into the second mug, and then add a good spoonful of the cream. Do not stir it overmuch, just once or twice, then sip it, and tell me what you think." As he'd spoken, Alonzo had cut the pepper into tiny slices, the circles scarcely the size of a barley grain. Pouring half of his drink into his empty mug, Alonzo put a dollop of the cream into it and then added the chopped pepper, no more than a third. His own mug took a heavy dollop of cream, and the full rest of the pepper, another half besides.

Alonzo had watched Alex carefully, and the slave could feel the man's eyes intent upon him as he obediently prepared and then lifted the drink. Closing his eyes, hoping Alonzo wouldn't be too disappointed when he didn't like it, Alex took the first sip.

His eyes flew open, and he stared into his mug with delighted amazement, licking his lips briefly. Alonzo smiled, seeing that Alex had the reaction he'd hoped for.

"It is wondrous!" Startled by the creamy sweet taste, the presence of something bitter but delicious, the mix of strong and subtle tastes, Alex could only stare into the mug. "This is the most glorious thing I have ever tasted, Alonzo! What is it?"

"Chocolate. It comes many ways, this is but the most economical use of it, and therefore, the most common. Not the foul substance you expected, Jade?" This was said with a meaningful lilt to the rich voice, and Alex had the grace to look abashed.

"No, my lord. I admit to having let my preconceptions color me, my apologies." He paused, took another slow, savoring sip, and peeked up through his lashes. "Alonzo, you do not jest, this drink is really from a bean?" He was very serious, unable to believe something so good could come from so nasty a thing as a bean.

Alonzo chortled and nodded. "Aye, little one, it does indeed, as did the Turkish beverage you shared with me this morn. Both are roasted and ground, their essence leached out by boiling water or steam. But here, you must have a small sip of it with the pepper. It is not for everyone, Jade, so there is no offense, do you not care for it, thus."

Alex obediently took a sip of the seneschal's spicy mixture, and while the bite was sharp, it was not overly so, and it did add to the flavor of the chocolate. "It is good, my lord, and I can well see the appeal, but I prefer it plain."

"Fair enough."

They sipped in silence for a bit, and then Alonzo asked quietly, "Jade, is there anything you wished to do while we are here, that we have not done?"

Alex thought for a long moment, and then spoke very softly. "There is but one thing I had thought to experience, that I have been denied."

"What is that, my sweet?"

"I had thought to know what it was to be taken by you." Alonzo, had he been drinking, would have choked at this revelation. As it was, his sharp gasp drew Alex's eyes to him. "I am sorry, my lord, if I have spoken wrongly, or said too much."

Alonzo shook his head gently, and though there was a smudge of pain dulling the normally sharp eyes, his voice was full of great care, as though what he were about to say might somehow break the young slave. "I cannot, little Jade, however much I might wish to do so."

"Because I am not yet ready?" Alex asked it with the tone of a statement, and Alonzo nodded, but continued quietly, looking down into his cup.

"That is the heart of it, true. You are not ready for such yet, Jade, it would be harmful. But there is more to my refusal than that, though I have been loathe to mention it."

"Please, Alonzo, if it will not hurt you to do so, I would know the rest." Alex, brows drawn together slightly as he puzzled it through, was curious.

"Partly it is out of a sense of loyalty and respect for Sable and the master. You love them, Jade, and they love you, most deeply. You are foredestined, and should you tell anyone I said such, I shall be most vexed." A faint grin accompanied these words, but Alonzo's heart wasn't in the teasing. "You belong to them, Jade, and they to you. I may give bodily love to you in many ways, but your first gifting of your self, your whole self, should be to them, for a first gifting should always be made in love, and received in it, as well. It would be wrong of me to take it, though I do love you, little one. The meaning of the act is changed, do you engage with me, or with Lord Fox and Sable. Can you see such, Jade? Does the difference not resonate within you?"

Alex was silent for so long that Alonzo worried that the boy had somehow suffered in his words, but at last, those lovely dark green eyes raised, and the voice was sure. "It does, Alonzo. I did not see it at first, I could not find the reason for such, but I do now. It is like when I took you the first time. You gave me a gift, and that taking has great meaning to me, because of it. Had I not truly cared for you, the act would not have had that same meaning for either of us, but especially you, would it? It would be but pleasure, and nothing more, nothing after, when our bodies were spent. It would cheapen it, reduce it to whore's sport, little more."

"Yes. It would for me. I know it would for Lord Fox, and many others. Not everyone, and I do not judge them, it is not my place. But yes, it would make the act less, whereas if love is present, one to another, then it cannot but make the act more. The more and purer the love, the greater the gift." Alonzo had looked around, ensuring that the room was deserted and that they would not be overheard, or he would not have dreamed of beginning such a conversation in so public a place. But, they had the main room to themselves, they were seated in a back corner, and all was safe.

Alex nodded, understanding in his heart what Alonzo was saying. A kiss from Alonzo was a wondrous thing; to be kissed by the master was incomparable.

"Jade, there is another reason why I cannot take you. It is minor, and not by any means my main concern, but it is a factor and you should know it as such. I do not take you because I am forbidden from taking you by Lord Fox."

Alex's eyes flew up, and for a fraction of a moment, he felt a flair of resentment. It did not go unnoticed by Alonzo, the seneschal had needed to read men for far too long for it to do so, and he hastened to continue.

"Do not be cross with him, Jade. It is not a rule he made specifically for you. It is his rule for all of his slaves. Does another master borrow them, they may love as they like, but the other master is forbidden from taking the slave, unless they are at Samstar Fields and Lord Fox has spoken with both of them himself. He but seeks to protect his slaves, Jade, to ensure coupling is by right choice and willing only. On both parts." The words reminded Alex of Alonzo's former slave- lover, and now the soundness behind Lord Fox's decision was made clear.

"The master is wise. He protects both slave and master." Alex took one of Alonzo's strong, capable hands, and lovingly kissed it, kissing each fingertip and the palm as well. Alonzo knew where Alex's thoughts had gone, and he managed a genuine smile at the younger man.

"I thank you, Jade. And now, sweet, if you have finished your treat, I would adjourn to our rooms, for I wish very much to be taken by you again." The words were faint, little more than a whisper, but Alex could feel the sudden vulnerability and need in the older man, and determined to give Alonzo all that he could this night. Alonzo had need of him, his body, his presence, and if he could not give the man everything, there was still much Alex had to offer.

"I would like that as well, Alonzo."

Standing, Alex looked around. They were still alone and the stairs to their rooms only a short space away. Assured they were safe, Alex gave in to his compulsion. He boldly held out his hand to Alonzo.

"Stand, my lover, and let us find our true selves."

Alonzo, having instinctively looked about when Alex did, knew that they were alone, and he let his delight in Alex's hidden message show plainly. "Yes, my lord."

The words were merely mouthed, the older man too habitually cautious, but he gave his hand to Alex, and let himself be led upstairs.

xx

Sometime in the pre-dawn, Fitz was awakened by a soft sound at his door. Without having the light yet lit, he knew it was Sable. Coming close to cursing, the priest opened the door and found the stabler leaning against the it's frame. Helping him in silently, knowing the man needed to sit down more than he needed scolded , Fitz got him to a big chair near the banked embers of the fireplace, threw a blanket over Sable, and then lit a few candles.

"What is it, Sable?"

"I need to confess, Father."

Fitz only nodded and went back to his bedroom.

While not ordained, not a true priest, Fitz acted as such for much of Samstar Fields, and had not once felt a whisper of sacrilege in so doing. Pulling on his priest's robes and gathering his sleep numb thoughts as he did so, Fitz sighed. He'd expected this, but had hoped to wait until later in the morning. Still, one did the Lord's work when it was needed, not when it was convenient, so he took just long enough to relieve himself, and then went back to where Sable, now his parishioner, not his friend or patient, was waiting.

Drawing up a chair, placing its back to the one Sable sat in, so that the men could feel each other's shoulders but not see each other's faces, Fitz took a calming breath, and spoke with gentle objectivity. "I am ready, my child. Speak your heart, with no fear."

"Thank you, Father." Clearing his throat, Sable made the traditional opening statements, then let his head fall forward, and his voice soon followed, weighed down by guilt and regret. "Forgive me, Father."

"What is the nature of your sin, child?"

"I—I... Oh god, Father, I nearly killed a man today." Giving a choked snort of bitter humor, Sable shook his head. "No, Father, I nearly killed three, for his death would have led to my own, and it would have killed Moss' soul. That was my greatest sin, Father, no matter what God says. If I had killed his soul, broken his spirit, after everything...."

"God would agree, child, that would have been the worst of today." Fitz knew such talk would have had him excommunicated, had he been ordained. He could not care less, it was the truth, and he knew it as such in his heart.

"Thank you, Father. I find that thought a great comfort."

Giving his God a moment of praise for being so very wise, Fitz gave a tiny smile. "Go on, child. Tell me what you will."

"Yes, Father." Sable sighed, and then began. He paused several times, and once or twice, Fitz silently passed him cool water, but he did not interrupt, did not dare to do so. Sable made his confessions monthly, it seemed enough for the stablemaster. For him to seek the comfort of it between times could only mean the man was feeling heavily burdened. "Father, I have a further sin."

"Yes, my child?"

"Even as I ask forgiveness for this afternoon, a part of me still seeks his death. I wish him dead, Father, dead and burning with every fire eternal damnation can offer. I fear I shall never be free of this hatred, this need to see his existence nullified. The Captain may yet teach me to control my rage, my love for my master can keep me from outright murder, but nothing can stop the pain, the anguish his every breath causes. Forgiveness is not the issue, I cannot even begin to stop hating the man, much less hope to forgive him. Please, Father, I know this is not right, that it causes him no harm, only makes my suffering worse, but I cannot help myself. Tell me, please, how to stop hating the man that ruined my life."

Fitz was silent for a long while, not unusual when he was acting as priest, and not merely as friend. "My child, I can tell you a few things which might help you. I can remind you that his acts against you led you to your true love. That your life might have turned out for the worse, had he not sold you into slavery. I can remind you that you do much good here, and that your life has far greater value than most men ever achieve. I can offer you the self-knowledge that however much pain there was at the beginning, you now live a life that is fair beyond the measure of most men."

Sable nodded, all of these things were true, and hearing such said, did help some. He was taken slightly unawares when Fitz continued, in a whisper.

"I hope, my child, that knowing these things gives you more peace than knowing them does me. When I have learned the rest, learned how to let go of the hatred fully, I shall tell you gladly. Until then, it is the only comfort I have to offer either of us."

Sable reached over his shoulder, offering his hand, feeling it taken in a compassionate grasp.

"My apologies, child. I am, after all, only human myself. Now, please, continue."

"And it is your humanity that makes you a priest beyond compare, Father. Never think otherwise."

"I thank you, child. Those words are most welcome. But I would hear the rest."

"Yes, Father."

xx

Unseen by either man, Lord Fox let the door shut silently and made his way back to the bedchamber. He'd listened to every word, needing to know that Sable was truly well again. Sighing, he climbed into the bed, and moments later, Danally alighted beside him.

Absent-mindedly, for she was first and foremost to him a beloved pet, Lord Fox began to stroke her, speaking aloud as he did so, as he had done so many long nights before.

"What pain, what scars, abide in these stone walls. All of us, touched by a King's agreement to trade in souls, not caring what it would make of his kingdom. It shatters lives, breaks men by the thousands, causes children to become less than animals, old people to seek their own ends and those in the between years to beg without hope. How can men not see what lies so clearly before them? How can they think they are just and righteous when they barter in living, needful flesh? I am the master here, and Sable slave, and yet, the man is a master in his heart, just as I would willingly give my ownership to him, knowing what use he would make of it.

"This must end, it must. Things are changing, but it takes years, decades before this keep or that one no longer keeps men as things. We do not move fast enough, I fear, and yet, to move more quickly will doubtless cause all to be lost even more surely. There must be a way, there must."

Danally sat up and reached out, placing her paw on Lord Fox's heart, then leaned forward and butted him with her sleekly furred head, before rubbing her entire length along his chest, and leaving.

"Was that benediction or affection, my lady?"

Grinning despite the weight upon his shoulders, Lord Fox lay down and waited for Sable to join him again in their bed.

xx

raven@aeneas.net

Title: Moss, Sable and Jade, Part 10 & 11
Author: Raven
Email: raven@aeneas.net
Pairing: As far as pairings go, there will be Sk/K, Sk/M, K/O, K/M, K/M/Sk and maybe some other assorted variations.
Rating: NC-17
Author's Notes: While vaguely medieval in nature and setting, this does not take place in any known time or place. It is full of anachronisms at every turn from material things and manners of speech to philosophies that simply were not present in the real Middle Ages. Also, while this is a slave fic and carries some dire warnings, there are very few graphic scenes in this fic. This is not a typical slave fic in that it is ultimately about goodness, healing, hope and love. There may be more dark scenes before the work is completed, but right now, you will find very little of that sort of thing here. It is not a dark piece, nor a harsh story, so don't let the category "slave fic" mislead you. There is nothing wrong with that kind of story at all, I'm simply warning you that this isn't one of them.
Additional Author's Notes: This is a work-in-progress. Please be aware that I do not work on this story very often. It has taken over a year to get it to this point, it may take another year before it is complete. It is my pet project and I am writing it solely to please myself, therefore I only work on it when the mood, timing and setting are just right. That doesn't happen very often, I can promise. It's not a matter of inspiration or feedback, it's a question of loving a private world in my own head and playing there selectively, to keep it special. So, if you really, really, really need to know what happens next and just can't wait...please, do us both a favor and don't read it until it's done. [g]
Chapter's Notes:
A very special thanks to a very special lady. Thank you, Amy, for letting me borrow your spiritual likeness, and for always, always listening. A thank you to LAW for her continued encouragement and patience with me. And a thank you in general to all those who have waited so patiently for this update. Thank you, also, to all of you that have taken Alonzo to heart, it's meant the world to me that's he's been so well accepted. Thanks to Gaby, who willingly waded on into this when she was already drowning. You're still the best! Finally, for those of you that write to me and enquire delicately when I'll be putting in some hot man-on-man action (arches an eyebrow, looks at several people meaningfully) well, the answer is: now. Yes, folks, we have achieved sex. Don't kill me if you don't like how or with whom, I got tab A into fold B, that's what counts! I honestly hope you guys enjoy.
Warnings: Slave fic. Angst. References to non-consensual behaviors. Violence. References to Torture. Oh, yeah, and Angst.
Summary: Alex is a slave, but his new home and master are unlike anything he's ever known.
Disclaimer: The characters within these stories belong to Fox, 1013, et al. There is no profit made or intended from these stories, and they should be considered as being for entertainment purposes only.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]