Half Moon Bay and Strawberries
by Nightcloud

Part Three


The young staff at the fast food franchise was used to the crowd and in no time at all the four agents were seated at a table meals piled on plastic trays. Mulder, Meyers and Roberts all dug into their meals, Krycek picked at his salad, until he noticed Mulder watching him then he began to eat, though without real enthusiasm.

"Meyers, you and Roberts should go over the alley where the last of our male victims was living. Someone there knows something, it will just take a bit to draw them out," Mulder said.

"Sure," Meyers answered. "Where are you going?"

"To the Shoreline Amphitheater," the older agent told him. "Krycek and I will see if we can find the woman who spoke to Sarah Hamsen. She might have seen more than she told the police."

Roberts spoke up, "Seen what? What is it we're looking for exactly?"

"Anyone who might have spoken to any of the victims. Anyone who might have been in the area the victims were known to frequent who might have been interested in them. Someone who was asking questions," Alex answered.

"Have you worked on the X-Files before?" Meyers asked.

"Once," Krycek told him. "But a cult would operate like this and I've more experience with some of them."

The younger two agents looked skeptical until Mulder said, "Krycek is right, this is looking less and less like an X-file and more and more like a group serial killing, as rare as that is. Sometimes it happens like that, what may seem extraordinary turns out to just be brutal. In either case we have a duty to stop the murders."

Roberts nodded his understanding. Meyers looked from Mulder to Alex a couple of times then he nodded as well.

"Well," Mulder said. "If we're done eating we should get started."

The four men stood, Roberts and Meyers, making comments about lunch, ribbing each other about their diets in the process.

"Hey, Mulder. Excellent choice for lunch," Meyers grinned. "We'll have to get my partner out more, open him up a little to true American cuisine."

Roberts rolled his eyes, "If I have to eat enough cholesterol to give an elephant high blood pressure, I think I'll just skip the education, thanks."

"Oh come on, Kev," Meyers chided. "Where's your sense of adventure? Your lust for danger? You gotta live a little, take a risk or two."

The other agent stared at his partner, then shook his head, "I get all the adventure I could ever want working the cases we get. Weirdo's, sickos and freakazoids provide me with all the brushes with danger I need or want." He paused, then mock snarled, "and don't call me Kev, Scotty."

His partner responded by placing one hand over his chest, somewhere in the vicinity of his heart. He let out a long sigh, then said, "That hurts, Agent Roberts, it truly hurts."

Roberts opened his mouth for a comeback; Mulder however cut him off, "Gentlemen?" He waited until they were both looking at him, he gestured to the side of the federal building where the rental the two younger men were using was parked. "We have a case to investigate, let's get started shall we?"

"Sure thing, Mulder," Meyers grinned. "Come on, Roberts. Let's see if you can charm the residents of that last alley."

Roberts followed his partner to their car, after glancing up at the sky as if to ask for assistance, or divine intervention. Mulder watched the two of them a faint smile curving his mouth. He turned to Krycek, "You know I'm not sure whether being given my own division populated by six of those was a reward or punishment."

Alex chuckled, "They are a little...um...high spirited."

Mulder snorted, "Scully calls them Mulder's demented school children. I get the feeling that she finds it an X-file of sorts to realize that I'm not the only one who thinks that there are monsters in the world. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that she has a secret file on all of us."

Krycek looked at him to see if he was serious then laughed when he realized that the older agent was joking. "I'll bet you've mentioned that to her, haven't you?"

"Yeah," Mulder grinned. "Should have seen her try to deny it."

Chuckling quietly the two entered the building then took the elevator down to the garage. "Let's take my rental," Mulder said, beginning to walk to where he'd parked the car earlier. "I don't want to give Skinner a heart-attack with an expense report that's lower than normal."

Alex chuckled, "Fine by me, my AD will be grateful to not have to look at another mileage report. We've racked up plenty of them on this case." He grasped the handle of the passenger door, only to find it locked. "Mulder, you locked the car? We're in the garage of the FBI building for God-sakes, who's going to steal it?"

Mulder shrugged, grinning slightly, "You never know. Moles, government conspirators...could be anyone."

"Uh huh," the younger agent nodded entering the now unlocked car, he fastened the seat belt, then looked at Mulder, "So, are we just going down to the Amphitheater, or stopping along the way?"

"The report the Berkeley PD wrote said that the roommate thought Sarah traveled to the concert at least partially on the BART system, meeting someone or switching to another form of transportation for the rest of the trip. There are a lot of stations between Berkeley and Daly City, someone might have seen her at one of them or might remember seeing her meet someone," Mulder said. Krycek looked skeptical, "I know, I know," the older agent added. "It's been over a month, but by now the report's on the news, it may jog a few memories."

"Maybe," the other agent agreed. "It's worth a shot anyway."

Mulder nodded but didn't say anything, he turned the engine on, pulling the car out of the garage and out into mid afternoon traffic. The roads weren't too busy this time of day and it wasn't long before they were heading toward the Oakland-Bay Bridge and UC Berkeley.

Mulder reached over and turned the car's CD-player, the voices of Pizzicato Five began to emanate from the cars speakers, softly but still enough to be heard over the road noise. Mulder began tapping the wheel to the music. Alex looked at him for a moment then stared at the CD player before looking back at Mulder.

The older agent feeling the scrutiny glanced toward him, "What?" he asked, puzzled by the look on Alex's face. It was a mixture of shock and revulsion.

"Mulder, I...Mulder, what is that?"

"Music, Krycek."

"From what planet?" The younger agent asked.

Mulder glanced at him again, "You've never heard of them?

"No."

"Well, we're going to have to see about broadening your musical horizons," Mulder smiled.

"Mulder," Krycek said seriously, "my musical horizons are broad enough. Believe me. If there is something out there that's worth listening to my family will make sure I hear it. Whether I want to or not."

"Family?" Mulder glanced at the younger man. "You know we never got to the part where we talked about families."

Alex grinned, "If I tell you about mine, will you turn that off?"

The older agent grinned back, "Sure, let's try this one." Mulder changed the CD, replacing Pizzicato Five with the harsher sounds of one of the English industrial bands. He glanced over at his companion who was cringing. "Oh come on it's not that bad."

"No. It's not bad, if I were working toward the over throw of a small nation, it'd be perfect rally music," he stopped then looked at the other man, "Would you be deeply offended if I tossed that out the window?" Krycek asked softly.

"Don't tell me you've never heard this before," Mulder asked. "What kind of music do you like?"

"Well, it depends. Most of the time soft rock from the 50's and 60's, The Righteous Brothers, Vikki Carr. Anybody I can sing with," he grinned at his companion.

Mulder started to say something about how horrible that sounded to him, then he thought about Alex's husky voice singing one of the Righteous Brothers' ballads, the thought made his pants a lot tighter all of a sudden. To distract himself from the thought he said, "Maybe something on the radio?"

After several vetoes over choice by both of them they finally found something playing slow ballads from several decades that they could both agree on. Once the question of music was taken care of, Mulder resumed their conversation, "So, tell me about your family. You sound fond of them."

Alex grinned, "for the most part. There are times when they can be exasperating. I'm a puzzle to them, and I think that they wonder where I came from at times."

"Why," Mulder asked, curiosity piqued.

"Because I'm in the FBI," the younger man's voice dropped dramatically. "My mother is a museum curator, her specialty is baroque art. My father is a professor of Renaissance literature; I have two older brothers and one older sister. One sister and one brother are both in professional orchestras, the other brother is a set designer, who paints professionally as well. They are all ultra and I do mean ultra liberal," he paused. "Well about most things. Being around them is like being in another world, one where there are no bad guys, no corpses, well my mother helped setup up a mummy for an exhibit once, but other than that...." his voice trailed off.

The other agent remained silent for a time, then nodded, "It can be difficult having any kind of relationship outside the job."

"Yeah...don't get me wrong though," Krycek said. "I adore the lot of them, but there are times when they just drive me straight up a wall. They think that if I leave the bureau and do something more creative with my life, I'll meet someone, settle down and have lots of kids." He shuddered. "I'd eat my gun in a month, just to have something interesting to do."

Mulder smiled, "I know what you mean, there's something about getting a new case...chasing down clues...

"Late nights hunting down leads," the younger agent added, smiling faintly. "There is a...I wouldn't call it good side to what we do, but I've never been able to explain it to my family."

"Exhilarating? That's how I'd describe it. It's a rush to win, to be smarter and more tenacious than the bad guys," Mulder smiled back. "Most people don't understand why we do what we do. I mean why would we deliberately work and live with some of the dregs of society? No one remotely normal would, but then what we do allows them to maintain their normal world."

Excitement lit the green eyes, "Yeah, exactly. It's weird though, my family doesn't see that part, what they see are the suits and ties, the badge, the authority," he used his hands to put quotations around the last word. "They feel that I'm stifling my creative side, that I'd be happier in their liberal world."

"Do they know you're Bi?" Mulder asked.

The answer came after a long slow exhale, "No. For all their protestations of liberal leanings, I've never felt particularly comfortable about broaching the subject."

The older agent nodded slightly, "kind of figures doesn't it? The most supposedly liberal people are often more don't ask, don't tell, than the ones who are more conservative."

"Yeah," the younger man sighed again. "Just wish sometime...."

Mulder reached over and patted the thigh closest to him, leaving it there for a moment when the younger man's hand covered his. The next few miles passed neither man saying anything further, the radio provided a backdrop to the sound of the tires on the road.

Their hands remained joined, until Mulder pulled his away to turn the car, "looks like this is our first stop."


Visitor Information Center, University of California at Berkeley
Tuesday 29 Oct. 2002
2:03pm

The UC Berkeley campus was much larger than the neighboring UC San Francisco was, so the two agents had agreed that their first stop should be to Visitor Information Center. There also wasn't much parking on campus, but Mulder pulled the rental into a marked slot.

"Mulder," Alex grinned. "How do you know this spot isn't reserved for a University vice president or something?"

"I don't know," the older agent grinned back. "We won't be here long, even if someone complains, they won't be able to get a tow truck here before we're done."

"You're sure?"

"No," Mulder admitted.

The younger man laughed and together they made their way up the stairs into the University Hall, signs pointed the way to the Visitor Information Center. Mulder let the other man take the lead as they approached the counter. Behind it was a young woman, long, curly brown hair tumbling from the large gold barrette she was wearing. As the two men approached she looked up, revealing an almost classically pretty heart shaped face, dominated by huge nearly black eyes. She smiled, "Can I help you?"

The smile transformed her from pretty to stunning, Mulder felt himself responding, glancing at his younger companion he could see that he wasn't the only one affected.

"Hopefully you can, Ms..." Krycek began.

"Jordan, Lauren Jordan," she smiled again. "What can I do for you?"

Removing his badge from the front of his jacket he said, "I'm Agent Alex Krycek and this is Agent Mulder from the FBI. We need to know which residence hall Sarah Hamsen was living in before her disappearance. Also she had a roommate; is she still living in the same place? We'd like to ask her a few questions."

Big dark eyes grew slightly larger, a suspicious shine beginning in them, "Is it true that they found Sarah dead this morning?"

Krycek glanced at Mulder, then spoke softly, "I'm sorry, but yes we did. Did you know her?"

Visibly trying to get her emotions under control the young woman dropped her head, nodding. After a few moments she looked back up at the agents, "I live in the same residence, just down the hall. Sarah was one of the first people I met when I came here, she was always so nice. I mean really nice, she was helpful and didn't look down on anyone just because they were new or something. Just really nice and friendly, everyone liked her, everyone. Why would anyone want to hurt her?"

Krycek's jaw clenched, he seemed to be at a loss for words confronted by the young woman's grief. Mulder stepped forward, "That's what we're trying to find out, Ms. Jordan. Maybe you can answer some questions for us yourself?"

"I'll help all I can."

The older agent nodded smiling a little, to reassure her, "Good. You said you live in the same residence, down the hall?"

"Yes."

"Before she disappeared, did Sarah seem different, did she talk about meeting anyone new, a friend or a new boyfriend?"

"No....I don't think...no I'm sure she didn't mention anyone, just the same people as always. She had a boyfriend, but he just transferred to UCLA, and they were only seeing each other once in a while. Sarah was going to transfer there next semester."

"Do you know the boyfriend's name?"

"Ben...Ben Traderson," Lauren told them, then added, "But he wouldn't hurt her, they were so close and they talked every night. He came up here for a while when she first disappeared, he wanted to find her."

The two agents looked at each other, Alex asking, "Has he been back since then?"

"No, he called her parents though, every night, just like he had been calling Sarah. He called her roommate too, Nancy."

That would be Nancy Safranski?" Krycek asked, reading from a small notebook he pulled from a pocket.

"Yes," the young woman answered, smiling again. "Nancy and Sarah have been...I mean, were roommates for three years."

Lauren's smile faded again, leaving Alex thinking that it was like the sun being hidden by a dark cloudbank. Forcing a smile to his own face he asked gently, "Which dorm does Ms. Safranski live in?"

"We're over in Foothill Student Housing," she answered, "it's on La Lorna, near the Hearst Greek Theatre."

"Can you give us directions?" Mulder asked.

"Sure," Lauren nodded, "You just take University east to the corner, just at the end of this block, then turn left on Oxford and go three blocks to Hearst Ave. Then you turn right on Hearst and go six blocks to La Lorna turn right there, it's the second building in that housing block."

Finishing copying the directions into his notepad, Krycek said, "Thank you Ms. Jordan you've been very helpful." He turned to join Mulder who was already at the door then turned back to the young woman again. "I'm sorry about your friend."

Dark eyes met his for a moment, as a tremulous smile touched her face once more, "Thank you Agent Krycek."

The younger agent nodded, then turned and walked away, joining Mulder. He was silent as the two made their way back to the car. The older agent could tell that the younger had been affected by the brief interview. He resolved once more to work as hard as he could to solve this as fast as possible.


University of California at Berkeley Campus
Tuesday 29 Oct. 2002
2:52pm

"Mulder we were supposed to turn right at La Lorna, not left," Krycek stated almost half an hour later. "Do you have any idea where we are?"

UC Berkeley?" Mulder quipped. "Looks like there's a place to turn around up here, shouldn't be too difficult to retrace our route."

The younger agent didn't comment, just raised one bemused eyebrow at his companion. He knew, as Mulder didn't the strange complexity of the streets that made up the campus.

His amusement had ceased to be silent forty-five minutes later as after passing the same open area for the third time they finally found themselves back in front of the Visitors Information Center. "Krycek, has anyone ever told you how very annoying that is?

"A few times, " the younger agent chuckled.

"You don't think that it might be a good idea for you to not do it anymore?"

"Nope."

Mulder glanced at him, Krycek's smug look making him smile, "When did you have a chance to call Scully?"

Krycek laughed, "Call Scully?"

"That's the kind of answer I'd expect from her."

"You don't think it might be you?" the younger asked.

Mulder grinned, "Nope."

The younger man looked at him, chuckling again, bringing a laugh from Mulder. As the two reached La Lorna Mulder looked at Krycek, "Left?"

The younger agent nodded, grinning broadly.

They made their way to the building Lauren Jordan had directed them to. The door let them into a large reception area, there was another counter behind which two young men and an older woman were sitting.

The woman looked up at the two agents, "Can I help you gentlemen?"

Both of them pulled their badges out showing them to the woman, again Mulder let Krycek take the lead.

"We're with the FBI, I'm Special Agent Alex Krycek, this is Agent Mulder," Alex stated. "We'd like to speak to Nancy Safranski, is she in?"

The woman's smile vanished, replaced by taut professionalism, "Nancy is upstairs with her roommate's parents. They've been here since this morning after the police called them."

"The police called them?" Krycek asked.

"That's what Mr. Hamsen said when they came," the woman answered. "They wanted to tell Nancy themselves, they didn't want her getting a phone call. The two girls ar...were very close."

"We've been told that Ms...?"

"Baxter. I'm Mrs. Sonya Baxter. I'm one of the house mothers here," she answered. "May I ask where you heard about Nancy and Sarah?"

"We stopped at Visitor Services to find out where Sarah lived," Mulder put in. "Ms. Jordan, told us about Sarah's relationship with her roommate."

"I see," Mrs. Baxter said. "If you'll follow me, I'll take you to their room."

"Thank you," Krycek answered.

Mrs. Baxter turned to the two young men, "Can either of you watch the desk while I'm gone, I shouldn't be more than a few minutes?"

Both of the men nodded, one of them saying, "No problem neither of us have a class for a while."

She smiled at them and then came through a door, joining Mulder and Krycek who were waiting for her. She led them to an elevator, to one side of a large central staircase. "Sarah and Nancy share, I mean shared, room 6201, she said entering the elevator and pushing a button.

No one spoke for the rest of the ride, when they reached the sixth floor, all three exited and the two agents followed Mrs. Baxter down the hallway.

They reached the door to room 6201 and the housemother knocked softly, nothing happened for a few moments then an older man opened the door.

"Mr. Hamsen," Mrs. Baxter began. "I'm sorry to bother you but these two men are from the FBI and they want to talk to Nancy."

"Actually we'd like to talk to all of you, Mr. Hamsen," Krycek said. He waited while the man thought about it, before moving back, allowing the two agents to enter.

"Thank you for your help, Mrs. Baxter," Mulder said, smiling slightly at the woman. He followed the younger man into the room gently closing the door behind himself.

The room was far more sunny than the one he'd had at Oxford, but in many other ways it was typical of dorm rooms the world over. Small for two girls, it was uncomfortably full with five people in it. A young woman, Mulder assumed to be Nancy Safranski, sat on one of the beds, an older woman with blond hair much the same as Sarah Hamsen's sat beside her. Mr. Hamsen sat in an armchair, watching listlessly while his wife attempted to comfort the distraught girl. Alex who was further into the room turned and briefly the two agents' eyes met and locked, then the younger man moved closer to the two women.

"Mrs. Hamsen? Nancy?" he began, when two pairs of red rimmed eyes looked up at him he continued, "May I sit down?"

Mrs. Hamsen gestured to the second bed, nodding her head slightly. Krycek sat down, his eyes softening as he looked at the two women. "I'm Agent Krycek, this is Agent Mulder, we have a few questions we'd like to ask you, if you're up to answering them?"

The older woman glanced at her husband before nodding her head slightly, "We'll help all we can," she answered timorously. "The police didn't say, but how did...how did Sarah...what.."

"The coroner has yet to determine that," Krycek said. "The police will be contacting you later. He changed the subject quickly; "We need to know everything you can tell us about the trip Sarah took to the concert. Do you know who she was going with, or if she was planning on meeting someone there?"

Mrs. Hamsen started to shake her head, beginning what was obviously a denial, but Nancy cut in. "She was meeting someone there. A woman," she added.

"Do you know who?" Mulder queried.

"No," Nancy shook her head. "It was someone she'd just met, at a coffee house or something. I don't know who. Sarah, didn't talk about her before hand, just that night, before she left she said she might be meeting...um I think she said her name was Julie, or Judy...no that's not right but it's something that starts with a J like that."

"Sarah met her close to the time of the concert?" the younger agent asked.

"A week or so before from what I remember Sarah saying."

"Do you remember if Sarah said anything more about this woman, does she work at the coffeehouse? Maybe she hangs out there?" Mulder asked helpfully.

"Sarah didn't talk about her much, just kind of mentioned her when she was talking about the concert, you know?"

Mulder frowned slightly, then asked, "Could she have mentioned this woman to someone else, to her boyfriend, um, Ben right?"

"Yes, his name is Ben," Mrs. Hamsen answered the agent. "But I don't see how he'd know...."

"Sarah talked to him didn't she?" Mulder insisted. "Isn't there a possibility that she mentioned the concert and who she was going with to him?"

"I suppose," Nancy agreed slowly. "You'd have to ask him though and he is in LA right now."

"He phoned and said he'd be here later this week," Mr. Hamsen told the agents.

"We'll want to talk to him later this week," the older agent said. He glanced at the other agent. "I can't think of anything else for now."

"You've all been very helpful," Krycek said standing. "If you think of anything else, please give Agent Mulder or myself a call."

The two agents pulled business cards from their pockets and handed them to Mr. Hamsen. The older man looked at one then the other of them, "Do you think you'll find who did this?" he asked softly.

"We're going to try, Mr. Hamsen," the younger agent answered. With a brief glance at the two women he joined Mulder by the door. Silently the two agents left the room, nothing was said as they made their way out of the building to the car. Mulder took the driver's seat, as he started the engine he glanced over at his younger companion.

Krycek sat with his head leaning against the headrest, eyes closed. The tight set to his mouth revealed the tension he was feeling.

"Are you alright?" Mulder asked softly.

The other agent inhaled deeply, bringing his hands to his face he rubbed his eyes hard, exhaling explosively he looked at Mulder, "Yeah. I'm all right. Just a little tired of interviews like that. Too many of them in the last year or so."

"Your partner...."

"Do you really think I'd let him do any of them? He all but accused one girl of being a hooker to her parents. After that I made sure to do all the interviews myself, I let him talk to the local cops. So far he's only pissed off a few of them."

Mulder shook his head, "sounds like there will be some fences to mend once this is over."

"Yeah."

Krycek rubbed his eyes again, then let out a deep breath, he looked out the window, spotting a gas station to their right he asked, "Could we pull in here a moment, need to use the boy's room."

Mulder nodded, "Sure." He pulled the car into the station, both men got out. Alex heading to the restrooms, Mulder went into the station proper, buying two bottles of ice-tea, a package of sunflower seeds, and a bag of bite size butter fingers. He went back to the car, waiting for the younger agent to come out of the men's room before getting back in. He started the car, handing the plastic bag with the treats and drinks to Alex.

Krycek took the items, grinning as he opened the bag, handing the sunflower seeds to Mulder he said, "I see you found the highway again."

The older agent grinned, "Yep. Do you have any idea how long it will take us to reach the amphitheater?"

"About forty minutes if traffic is light," the younger man told him, he removed the top from a bottle of tea and handed to the older man.

Mulder nodded, not saying anything further, eating sunflower seeds between sips of tea.

It was Krycek that broke the silence nearly ten minutes later, asking, "Do you think a woman could be behind this?"

"Behind it, or involved some way, " Mulder nodded. "It would be unusual, but not completely outside the realm of possibility."

The younger agent thought about it for a moment then said, "the low level of violence with my cases, would lend credence to a woman being involved, but if your cases are linked to mine, the violence escalates considerably. Do you still think a woman could be involved?"

"Yeah." Mulder glanced over at him. "I know all the statistics say that women are less prone to acts of this kind. However, no where does it say they can't do it, just that they are less likely to."

"And if it is a group of people we're dealing with," Alex speculated, "some kind of cult...a woman would be more likely to be involved."

"Exactly," Mulder agreed. "There may in fact be more than one. Getting name, a description will help us immensely."

"You think this concession stand dealer will be able to do that?"

"According to the police report from a month ago, they only asked her if she was with a man," Mulder explained. "If they had asked about a woman..."

"Then the dealer might have told them," Krycek finished, nodding thoughtfully. "It's worth a shot. At this point I'll take every clue, no matter how small or hard to get."

Mulder didn't answer, he could understand the younger agent's frustration with a case that so far had yielded nothing but one body after another.

xx


Shoreline Amphitheater
Tuesday 29 Oct. 2002
4:12pm

Mulder pulled the car into the parking lot finding a spot easily. There were a only a few cars there, but several large trucks made finding a place to park difficult. The two agents had already learned that another concert was taking place in two days. Which was why they were hopeful of finding the concession stand worker.

The two agents drew looks and a few hostile stares as they made their way into to the concession stands under the amphitheater.

"I think they've noticed we're over dressed," Mulder quipped.

"You mean people don't wear Armani to hard rock concerts?"

"They must not wear Brooks Brothers either," the older agent shot back, openly admiring the suit and the way it was filled.

A slightly embarrassed grin was his only answer, bringing a smile to his face as well as the two proceeded into the theater and to the underground concession booths.

Underground the lights were dim, with more roadies scurrying through the almost twilight conditions. Cabling lay on the floor, waiting to be connected to the sound and light machines that were being installed in the theater and on the stage itself. Mulder looked around curiously, he'd been to concerts before, even rock concerts, but never two days before. The amount of people and equipment along with the frantic atmosphere intrigued him.

Alex touched his arm, drawing his attention to the booth they'd been seeking. "Come on," the younger agent said. "I think the woman we want is in there now."

The booth was one of the larger ones, festooned with t-shirts, jackets, kerchiefs, caps and all the other paraphernalia a fan could want. A young woman with bright green hair and a studded leather collar was unpacking more jackets and hanging them as the two agents walked up.

"Excuse me, Ms..." Mulder got her attention.

"Yeah," she turned and stalked closer to them.

"I'm agent Fox Mulder, this is Special Agent Alex Krycek. We'd like to ask you a few questions about someone who bought a jacket her a little over a month ago."

"I wasn't here a month ago," she told him flatly. "You want to talk to Leone."

"Is she here?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, just a minute," the woman said moving deeper into the booth, out of sight of the two men, she pushed aside some of the merchandise and yelled, "Hey Leone, a couple more cops want to talk to you."

"Oh for the love of...." another female voice complained. The owner of that voice soon followed, she was a tall woman in her early to mid-thirties. A long mane of blond curls framed a strong-featured face that wasn't pretty, but striking all the same. She like just about everyone else at the theater was wearing shorts and a tee shirt. The brief garments accented a body that spent a fair amount of time in a gym. Seeing the two men she frowned, light brown eyes narrowing slightly, "I already told the cops everything I know," she stated.

"We're from the FBI, Ms...?" Krycek prompted.

"Mayfield," she told them, "Leone Mayfield. So you're FBI. I still told the cops everything I know."

"We don't doubt that," Krycek continued. "We have a few more questions, if you'd be willing to answer them."

She thought about that for a few minutes, then shrugged saying, "If it will let me get back to work sooner, I'll answer your questions."

"We won't take up too much of your time," Mulder answered. "You told the police that you didn't see Sarah with any men. Could there have been a woman with her?"

Mayfield thought for a moment, started to shake her head then looked straight at the older agent. "Wait a minute, now that you mention it and I think about it there was a woman with her. The other woman didn't buy anything or come close but the missing one, the one the cops were asking about she kept looking back at her and smiling like she was trying to draw her into the fun, ya' know?"

Krycek nodded, "Yes. Can you describe this other woman?"

"Well, ya know, ordinarily I'd have to say no to that, all these kids start to look alike after a while," she stopped for a moment then continued. "But this girl, well she was different, ya know. I mean, no black clothes, no peircings, plain brown hair. Like she wasn't in school, ordinary, like maybe a secretary of something."

"Would you recognize her again?" Krycek didn't really sound hopeful.

"Sure, like I said she stood out, being so umm...normal looking."

Mulder asked, "Do you think you could describe her to one of our sketch artists?"

The woman nodded, "I could. Would I have to come into an office or something?"

"It would be faster if you did," the younger agent told her. "The artist can use the computer to do it there."

She sighed, "I don't suppose I have any choice in this?"

"We'd prefer it if you came in voluntarily," Mulder answered, "We need to have this..."

The woman read the determination in the hazel eyes, turning to the younger agent she saw even more, with a slight shrug she nodded, "FBI building in San Francisco?"

"Yes." Krycek agreed.

"I'll be there at 10 tomorrow," she told them, drawing up to her full height. "But I have a business to run here and you'd better have this artist person ready, you hear me?"

The younger agent smiled at her, his expression visibly brighter, "We really appreciate this."

"Well, you can show me how much you appreciate it by making sure I'm not there all day," she told them.

Mulder smiled reassuringly, "We'll see to it."

"Thank you," Krycek added, glancing at the older agent, he cocked his head in question. When Mulder shook his head slightly, he looked back at the woman and continued, "We'll see you tomorrow morning, Ms. Mayfield."

"Ten sharp." she told them.

The two agents nodded then left the booth. Leaving the underground facility they passed a Men's room.

"Need to make a stop," Mulder said, heading inside.

Alex nodded, he waited until the older man was inside then pulled out his cell phone. He'd just completed his call when Mulder appeared, companionably they walked back to the car. Mulder started to get into the driver's seat, but Alex beat him to the driver's door, holding his had out for the key.

"What?"

"I'll drive," the younger agent stated, grinning slightly.

The older man looked into the deep green eyes for a moment, seeing for the first time since they'd awakened that morning the spark of mischievousness of the night before. Feeling that falling so easily into those eyes was maybe not the best thing, he smiled back and handed the keys over without a word.

Krycek smiled broader and got into the car glancing over at Mulder, he started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. They headed back north on hwy 101, however they'd only gone fifteen miles when the younger agent turned west on state hwy 92.

"Where are we going?" Mulder asked sitting up straighter.

"Someplace special."

"Special?" Mulder smiled.

"Yeah," the younger man nodded.

Mulder let himself relax into the seat of the car, watching Alex drive. The younger agent had turned on the radio, choosing an oldies station, humming along with the music. The older man knew that he should perhaps be a little apprehensive at the unstable nature of Krycek's emotional state, but so far no response had been inappropriate. It was just that each change was noticeable, Mulder reminded himself to keep an eye on the other agent's state of mind. Again he was shocked by his own feelings of protectiveness toward the younger man.

He looked out the window into the deep green landscape of the California State Wildlife and fish preserve they were driving through. When he found himself comparing the greens to the eyes of the man beside him, with the trees losing, he realized that sometime during the last twenty-four hours he had been well and truly smitten.

He chuckled softly, drawing a glance from the younger man, "You're in a good mood," Krycek said.

"Yep," Mulder agreed. He laid a hand on the firm thigh next to his letting his thumb caress gently.

Krycek glanced at the hand on his leg then back at the older man, "We'll be there in a bit," he said softly. "Keep that thought."

"I'm planning on it."

The younger man grinned again, accepting the contact as they drove through the game preserve.

xx


Pasta Moon Restaurant
315 Main Street, Half Moon Bay, CA
Tuesday 29 Oct. 2002
5:36pm

Alex pulled Mulder's rental into a parking slot near an older beige stucco building. Warm light glowed from arched windows in the building, mirroring the golden tones of the setting sun.

"Don't we need reservations for this place?" Mulder asked.

"Yep."

Mulder raised an eyebrow at him.

The younger man looked away then grinned shyly, "I called them from the amphitheater."

Mulder grinned back, placing a hand on the younger man's arm he stroked gently, "Thank you."

Together they walked into the restaurant, Alex had requested a quite table where the two men could enjoy one another's company.

"So you come out here a lot?" Mulder asked as the maitre d' seated them. "Yes, actually," Krycek admitted. "Not always just for the food. I..." He was interrupted by the arrival of their server, the young woman couldn't quite decided which one she wanted to flirt with, and gave both men her best smile while reciting the specials of the day as well. Both agents were possessed of the same imp, flirting back shamelessly, entering an unspoken competition to see which of them could cause her to blush first. It was a tie, Mulder got her to blush first, but the smile Alex turned on her made her forget her well practiced description and stammer.

As she walked away after taking their orders, the two men chuckled.

"That was very bad of you Agent Mulder," the younger man teased, taking a bread stick from the basket on the table.

"I was just thinking that I should be jealous," Mulder said, reaching for the bread himself.

For several heartbeats, Alex didn't answer concentrating on picking apart the piece of bread he held. He was remembering that he had decided not to continue the budding relationship with Mulder. He was practical enough to admit that he needed the man's help. He was also brutally honest enough with himself to realize that he was attracted to Mulder as well. Feeling a little like he was digging his own grave, he sighed then looked at the older man through his eyelashes. "Well, you know, she is very pretty, " he grinned.

"So's your ass," Mulder smirked softly. "Which is mine after we leave here by the way."

"Sure of yourself."

"Scully says it's one of my least endearing qualities."

"She's right," the younger man stated, raising an eyebrow. "I take you to dinner and you want my ass? Seems like it should be the other way around."

Mulder grinned, "That could work too."

Alex chuckled, he was saved from having to answer by the waitress bringing their appetizers. During the meal they spoke briefly about the case, Mulder changed the subject however, when the younger man's mood began to sink. The Pasta Moon was smaller and more open than the Theb Phemom had been, although there were as many couples, the two men were more cautious, contenting themselves with fiery looks and double entendre.

They lingered over meals of freshly made pasta and seafood for almost two hours. Leaving the restaurant, Krycek headed toward the driver's side.

"Do you mind if we go somewhere else before heading back?" he asked.

"Nope," Mulder smiled.

The younger man started the car going west for a while until they'd driven to where the ocean was visible. Then they went north for a few miles before turning off into small nearly deserted parking lot. The two men climbed out of the car, Mulder watched curiously as Alex went to the trunk and removed the emergency blanket kept there.

Carrying the blanket, Krycek lead the way across the lot down onto a beach made of coarse sand. "This is one of the deep sea research stations," he told Mulder. Lifting his chin he motioned to a small building sitting a short distance from the parking lot. The two moved along the sand for a while and then Krycek led the older agent between the large rocks which dotted the beach, the rocks were all that was left of the cliffs which had once stood here. Tidal pools and basins of various sizes lay among the rocks and the two men moved around living anemones, hydras and starfish. The shells of mussels lay everywhere, as did many other kinds.

"How'd you find this place?" Mulder asked after stopping to watch an anemone for a bit.

"I heard about it when I first moved here, not sure from where, took a drive up one day and well..." he shrugged.

"Come here a lot?"

"Mmmhmm," the younger man nodded, squatting to watch a starfish move over a rock in one of the basins. "Most of the time it's fairly deserted even during the day, the scientists do most of their work out a ways where the deep water is. So the beach is pretty much empty."

He smiled up at Mulder, "It's also generally cold, the sand, well, it's not really sand and it's always wet."

Mulder chuckled, "good place to be alone, huh?"

"Yeah," the other man nodded.

Still carrying the blanket he stood and moved further down the beach, Mulder strolled beside him, enjoying the quiet and the cold wind that blew on their faces. They came to a short incline, Alex climbed up with Mulder following. Reaching the top Mulder found that they were now on one of the large rocks that lined the beach, the top of this one was fairly level and a thin layer of dirt had evened it out further.

Spreading the blanket, Alex sat down looking out at the ocean, after a few seconds he looked up at Mulder and smiled; the older man accepted the silent invitation and sat beside him.

The sun had set a short time before, the sky was now that strange twilight blue, with streaks of crimson and purple across the horizon. As the two men watched it darkened more, but not enough to hide the fog which was making it's way inland.

For several minutes they sat in silent companionship, then Mulder turned to the younger agent, just as Alex turned to him. They both started to speak, then stopped, Krycek turned away almost guiltily, muscles jumped in his jaw as he forced himself to silence, clearing his throat he sighed then said, "Go ahead. What were you going to say?"

The grin that had been on Mulder's face faded, he could see that something was troubling the younger man; again. He shook his head, "no, you first. I wasn't going to say anything important."

Alex looked at him, when Mulder smiled encouragingly he began, "I...I come here to think."

"Yes."

"I...last night was great and everything...but I...there's this case..." Krycek's soft voice faded.

"You're feeling guilty about being with me last night, when Sarah Hamsen and that boy were killed?"

"Yeah. I guess."

Mulder heard the pain under the admission, feelings he too was familiar with. "Alex," he started, he waited until the other man looked at him, then continued. "The only way you could have stopped those murders was to have been there, The ME wasn't even sure it they took place last night or earlier. The reports on the others indicate they are killed hours before being left whereever they were found. If that's the case, you were at work, you were doing all you could to solve this case."

"My head knows that..."

"Your heart's another matter huh?"

"Yeah."

Mulder sighed, running a hand through his hair, he thought silently for a moment. He acknowledged that he was a little saddened, but he also had to admit that he would've been more disappointed if the younger agent wasn't concerned about how their possible relationship could affect the case. Solving this case was important to the younger man and Mulder respected that. Further, if he were truthful he had to admit that solving the case was just as important to him as well.

Breaking his silence he smiled softly at the other man, "Alex, I enjoyed last night as well. I'd be lying if I said I wanted it to end there. The case comes first though, it's part of being what we are. We'll be working with each other for a while, let's take it one day at a time. No decisions about anything other than the case until we solve it."

Alex chewed his bottom lip, he looked away for a moment then back at the other man, "What about sex, do we give that up until the case is solved?"

Mulder watched the other man, reaching out he rubbed a thumb across the bowed mouth in front of him. "Well, I wouldn't want to go that far," he said grinning slightly. "Let's just see what happens okay?"

Krycek's tongue reached out to touch the thumb that was still caressing his lower lip. He turned slightly and Mulder's hand cupped his cheek, Alex responded by kissing the other man's palm. He looked up at Mulder through the veil of his lashes, "Okay. One day at a time."

"Good." Mulder patted the cheek still under his hand. Smiling at the way Alex rubbed against his palm, a cat demanding attention.

"Can you live with this?" Alex asked, softly. "What if it takes another two years?"

Mulder laughed, "I spent years looking for my sister, I'm used to long term quests." His expression became serious as he looked at his companion, "I don't think its going to take another two years. I think at least one of the killers got careless and that by tomorrow this time we're going to have a picture of her."

"You think the woman Ms. Mayfield saw with Sarah Hamsen, is one of them?"

"Call it a hunch, but yeah I do."

It was Krycek's turn to laugh, "Still haven't ditched the Spooky appellation, have you?"

Mulder laughed, standing up he said, "Nope."

The younger man stood as well, picking up the blanket he folded it, then the two made their way back to the car. Mulder drove this time, Krycek smiling as he handed him the keys.

They made their way back up the coast, the trip was mostly silent, it had been a long day and both were tired. So Krycek was more than a little surprised when Mulder pulled off the highway in Daly City. He laughed as a few minutes later Mulder pulled into Jack-n-the Box.

"You have got to be kidding me," Krycek said.

"Why," Mulder grinned. "I'm hungry."

The younger agent just shook his head as Mulder drove into the drive through, he ordered a shake, French fries and onion rings. Turning to his companion he asked, "want something? I'm buying."

"I'll have t ask Scully how often that happens," Krycek smiled. "Shouldn't...what the hell, vanilla shake and onion rings, large onion rings."

"That's a good boy," Mulder grinned and placed the order.

A few minutes later the two agents were back on the highway, munching happily on fast food. The rest of the trip was spent quietly, the two men content with each other's company. Mulder had planned to drop Alex off and then go to his hotel, he didn't want to push the younger man. Those plans changed however when they drew near Krycek's apartment.

Getting out of the car the younger man suddenly doubled over, clutching his stomach. "Aww damn," he swore.

Mulder quickly turned off the ignition, exiting the car and going to the other man's side. "What's wrong?"

"My stomach," Alex panted. "Just get me inside."

Half carrying the younger agent, Mulder helped him up the stairs, taking the keys he opened the door and helped him inside. Alex straightened slightly one hand still holding his middle, the other flew to his mouth and he moved as quickly as he could to the bathroom. Concerned, Mulder followed to find the younger man bending over the toilet vomiting like he was trying to bring up the first meal he'd ever eaten in his life.

Moving closer to support the younger man, Mulder frowned when he noticed that some of what was coming up was tinged red. They'd eaten nothing red that night, besides the older agent had been around enough blood of all kinds to know it when he saw it. Not saying anything for the time being he supported Alex until the bout had run its course. He leaned forward and flushed the toilet then found a wash cloth, wet it with cold water then wiped the other's sweaty face.

"You want some water?" Mulder asked quietly, gently helping the younger man sit on the side of the bathtub. "Just to rinse your mouth?"

When Alex nodded, Mulder filled the cup on the sink, he steadied it when the younger man reached for it with a shaking hand. Alex rinsed his mouth, leaning forward to spit the water out into the sink, then did it again, after a third time, he pushed the cup into Mulder's hand.

"Thanks," he said softly. He stayed where he was for a few moments then stood shakily. Mulder reached out to steady him again, wrapping an arm around the younger man's waist, helping him into the bedroom.

"I can get there on my own, Mulder," Krycek protested.

"I know you can," Mulder replied blandly. "But you'll get there easier if you let me help you."

His only answer was a soft grunt, they made it to the bedroom and Alex was inclined to simply fall into bed, but Mulder coaxed him into removing his suit and shirt, leaving only his boxers. When the younger agent was lying under the sheet and comforter, Mulder pulled off his own shoes, jacket and tie began to lie beside him on top of the covers.

"You might as well get comfortable and get in here with me," Krycek smirked.

"I'm comfortable now."

"But I'll be more comfortable with you under the covers instead of on top of them, holding them down," Krycek said reasonably.

Mulder smiled at the logic and sat up, removing his shirt, he stood then removed his pants leaving on his own boxers he crawled into bed beside the younger man.

For several minutes the two were silent, then Mulder asked softly, "You do that often?"

"Not really," Alex said. "Started about six months ago. I shouldn't eat at fast food places, seems to make it worse."

"And skipping meals?"

"Shouldn't do that either," the younger agent confessed. "At least that's what's the doctor said."

Mulder didn't answer, instead he reached out and gently rubbed the younger man's back. He had ignored the advice of too many doctors in his own time to chastise Alex for the same thing. It would be far more productive to make sure the younger man ate and ate correctly than nag him. He smiled to himself, it would be a way to keep his two younger colleagues guessing. He continued to rub Krycek's back in soft circles, the younger man's breathing evened out and in a very few minutes he slept. Mulder lay awake for a time thinking, then he too fell into slumber.

xx


Alex Krycek's Apartment
Wednesday 30 Oct. 2002
3:17am

Fighting free of the tangled sheets, Krycek sat up quickly panting, covered with sweat he shivered as he fought to bring his pounding heart under control. Perversely he fought to grasp hold of the nightmare even as it slipped from him. He didn't know which was worse, not remembering, or knowing that it would be back, that he would wake in a panic, with the vestiges of terror at the edge of his mind again.

"Are you all right?" the soft monotone surprised him.

He nodded fractionally, then not sure Mulder could see the gesture, whispered, "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine."

"The case?" the older agent asked knowingly.

"Yeah."

Mulder remained silent, nightmares of one sort or the other were part of the job, every agent learned to deal with them in his or her own way. Those who couldn't didn't stay. He began moving his hand over Alex's back in circles again, offering his presence, after a few minutes the younger man laid down turning onto his side. Mulder lay beside him, looking into stormy green eyes.

"What do you want?" the older man asked.

"Fuck me."

"Alex..." Mulder frowned slightly.

The green eyes darkened, became predatory, a quick move and Alex had flipped Mulder onto his back. Kneeling over him, Alex purred, "Okay. I'll fuck you."

Before the older agent could form a thought, Alex's mouth lowered, latching onto his, demanding entrance. Alex swept into the other's mouth like a drowning man, his tongue found its mate twining sucking then moving away to stroke across teeth, palate before returning to dual once more. Mulder moaned, giving into the other's needs. The kiss ended when Alex pulled away. Both men were gasping for air, green eyes bored into hazel, seeking, demanding. Mulder smiled slowly then stretched sensuously, bringing a fierce grin to the younger man's face.

A soft growl and Alex dropped his head again, this time his target was Mulder's throat, he kissed and nipped down the arched column, to where neck and shoulder met. Teeth clamped on to muscle and Alex sucked hard marking the other as his. Briefly his tongue bathed the bruise then he moved lower across Mulder's shoulders his teeth and lips were every where. Again he raised his head, waiting until Mulder looked back at him.

Mulder looked up into eyes gone nearly feral, the intensity he saw delighted him. Again he smiled lazily, "Come on Alex, do me."

"Fox," the younger man hissed, "Fox..."

Alex's head dropped again, this time he sucked a nipple into the heat that was his mouth. Biting down for an instant, then soothing with his tongue just as quickly.

Mulder groaned his back arching as he brought both hands up to tangle in the other man's hair, trying to bring that mouth back to the nipple.

Alex had other ideas, and moved to the other one treating it the same way. Sucking the hard little nub into his mouth he grinned at the moans and whimpers coming from the other man. He released the tortured pebble of flesh to once again claim Mulder's mouth, pulling away he tugged on the full bottom lip with his teeth.

Mulder's hands roamed Alex's body, stroking over satin smooth skin, hard quivering muscle, the way made easier by the fine layer of sweat covering the younger man's body. His back arched off the bed again as Alex's resumed exploring his chest with teeth and tongue. Mulder's hips bucked, grinding his hardened cock against the younger man's.

Alex kissed, licked and bit his way to Mulder's waist, sliding his hands over the older man's sides and under the band of the black boxers. Mulder raised his hips and the boxers were slid down to his calves, were he impatiently kicked them off himself. Alex stood on his knees over him, pushing his own shorts down.

Mulder reached for the other's cock, grasping the steel hard shaft firmly, running his thumb over the head.

"Fox," Alex moaned. "Oh god...Fox." Bending he grasped the older man's cock holding it still he opened his mouth and sucked half the length into the hot cavern of his mouth.

"Christ," Mulder gasped. Words and the ability to speak them fled as Alex ran his tongue over the crown of Mulder's cock then along the under side.

For a moment Alex considered continuing, letting the older man come down his throat, but the demands of his own body, reminded him that what he wanted to do was fuck and now. Raising his head he pulled Mulder's hand away from his own aching flesh.

He grinned at the groaned protest, "Shh, Fox."

Leaning forward he kissed the older man, then pulled away, to open the drawer and remove condoms and lube. Mulder's groans became louder and more incoherent when Alex worked first one then another lube covered fingers into his tight opening. The younger man added a third finger and the older man's patience came to an end.

"Just do it," he growled. A perverse imp claimed the other man for a moment; Mulder saw it. "Don't even think it," he ground out.

A part of Alex would have liked to find out what the threat held, but he knew that he couldn't continue the teasing any further. Quickly tearing open the foil packet with his teeth, he rolled the condom over his rigid shaft. Slicking up he raised Mulder's legs up and back then entered him in one long slow thrust.

Sheathed in the heated, slick tight flesh of the older man's ass, Alex let the control he'd been holding onto slip from him. Grasping Mulder's cock in a slick fist he began pumping the older man's cock in time to his increasingly hard and fast thrusts.

Mulder caught the younger man's ferocity meeting him thrust for thrust, hips pumping up into Alex's fist, then back onto the hard shaft that filled him. His hands grasped Alex's shoulders leaving bruises of his own.

Neither man could long hold off the inevitable, neither really wanted to. Green eyes blazed into hazel as they raced together toward the end. Panting moans became shouts, growing louder and louder, erupting finally into screams.

Mulder came first, mind and body flying apart in a crystal wave, like a clean straight dive into ecstasy. Shattered, he drifted upward slowly becoming whole again.

A heartbeat later Alex followed, as the slow burn which had been building suddenly blazed up, consuming him, dying an instant and an eternity later.

Both bodies relaxed, Mulder's legs falling to the mattress, stretching out, Alex draped over him. The younger man reached and dragged the covers over them, without another word or motion they fell asleep.

end...

xx

Part IV

Nightcloud@worldnet.att.net

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]