Go to notes and disclaimers


Half Moon Bay and Strawberries
by Nightcloud

Part Four


San Francisco, CA. FBI Building
Friday 8 November 2002; 5:43pm

"Have the composites been sent to all the precincts?" Mulder asked Roberts.

"Yes," the younger agent answered. "We sent them to SFPD, Oakland, Berkley and Richmond."

"The smaller cities also got copies," Meyers added.

"Good," Mulder stated. "Do you have the transcript of Ben Traderson's interview?

"Sure," Meyers, started searching through the folders on the crowded table. "It's right here..."

Krycek stuck his head into the room where Mulder and the two younger agents were working. "Williams just called, says he's got a lead on that woman,"

"What kind of lead?" Mulder asked smiling at him.

Krycek shrugged, "Said he got a call from someone who saw the artist sketch we made from Ms. Mayfeild's description. He's going to meet this person."

"Backup?" Mulder frowned.

"Are you asking me if he's waiting for backup? Of course not, this is my partner we're talking about. If I leave now I can get there just a few minutes after him."

"Where's the meeting?" Mulder asked standing, reaching for his jacket.

"In the temporary building by the Conservatory of Flowers," Krycek said. "You don't have to come. Williams said it's just one guy, he didn't want me there."

Mulder hesitated, the tension between Alex and his partner had been growing over the last two weeks. The partnership was one of the worst matches he'd ever seen in the FBI and that was saying a lot. However, one agent going to meet someone in a deserted isolated area when it would soon be dark was just plain stupid. Mulder put on his jacket, "you're going because...?"

"He shouldn't be out there alone," Krycek stated. "Even if he's being too stubborn to accept it."

"Right," the older agent nodded. "Which is why I'm coming with you."

"You know, I don't remember you being this by-the-book," Krycek told him.

"I always follow the book," he said.

Meyers snickered, and Roberts stared at the older agent with raised eyebrows, Mulder ignored both reactions, telling them, "We can work on the dates our victims went missing tomorrow, you two get some food and then go back to the hotel. I'll see you in the morning."

Mulder smiled then walked with Krycek to the underground parking lot. They'd driven in separately that morning, now they went to the younger man's car. Climbing in and fastening his seat belt, Mulder asked, "How long will it take to get there?"

"Normally no more than twenty minutes or so, but it's rush hour," Krycek stated grimly. A few minutes passed in silence, then he snarled, "I wish he had waited."

The older agent didn't answer, although he agreed with his companion he didn't want to add to the antagonism between Krycek and Williams. He wanted to say something to relieve the other's anxiety, but he too, was worried about the other agent.

Traffic proved heavy and it took them almost twice as long to make the short trip between downtown and the park. There was one aluminum building left over from the Conservatory's renovation set off to one side in back of the Conservatory. Krycek parked in an area that was scheduled to be replanted after the construction was completed, then cut the motor. Exiting the car both agents swept the surrounding area looking for Williams, they could see neither the agent nor anyone else although another bureau car was parked a short distance away. They took a moment to check the car then began walking toward the structure.

Although many of the large trees had been destroyed when the Conservatory was damaged, the ones that were planted to replace them were fairly large already and shadows were thick around the buildings. The smells of eucalyptus, pine and rich soil filled the fog damp air, a slight wind carried the scent of flowers from the garden at the front of the Conservatory to them as they approached.

They could see that the wooden doors were open slightly pale light spilling from inside, forming a thin shaft in the rapidly darkening area. The only sounds were the wind in the trees, and their own footsteps crunching over the bare dirt. The single shot that rang out when they were only a few feet from the doors was obscenely loud.

Training took over. As one the two agents moved toward the noise at a run, Krycek reached the building first, drawing his gun he glanced at Mulder who nodded. Alex moved cautiously into the open doorway, weapon held ready.

Krycek glanced into the building, then without warning raised his weapon and entered, shouting, "FBI, drop your weapon."

Mulder followed quickly behind also raising his gun, Williams lay on the cement floor, a pool of something dark spreading under him. Another man, stood over him, holding a gun pointed directly at the downed agent's head.

"I said, drop the weapon," Krycek repeated, cautiously advancing further into the building.

The slightly built man holding the gun, looked up at the two agents. There was enough light that they could easily see the feral smile he gave them, before turning his attention back to Williams. The smile never left the man's face, as he steadied his aim.

Both Krycek and Mulder fired, Mulder a second behind the Krycek. Mulder knew he'd missed. The first shot had taken the gun man in the chest, spinning him around and dropping him.

The two agents moved to the two fallen men, Mulder checked the man Krycek had shot, Krycek moved to Williams. The man who had shot Williams had spun and fallen on to his side his face on the concrete floor. Mulder kicked the gun he'd used away from the body, then rolled the man over. The man's brown eyes looked into his, there was no fear in them. Mulder's gaze raked the man's body, Krycek's shot had taken him in the chest high and to the left of his heart. Looking back at the man's face he was only slightly surprised to see him smile, the blood filling his mouth coated his teeth.

"Have to protect her," the man gasped. "The Lady Jud..."

His voice ended on a choked gurgle, more blood spilled from his mouth and his brown eyes went glassy and blank.

Grimly, Mulder pressed the lids closed, then moved to where Krycek was trying to staunch the flow of blood from the wound in Williams' abdomen.

Mulder pulled his cell phone from his jacket and called for an ambulance, then called the office and reported their situation.

San Francisco, CA; St. Mary's Hospital
Friday 8 November 2002; 9:37pm

Mulder walked down the corridor of the hospital, following the directions given him by the admitting nurse. Williams had been rushed to the nearest of the city's hospitals. According to the nurse he'd been in surgery for over an hour. His partner, along with several other agents were in the waiting room outside of surgery, she'd told Mulder.

As he entered the room his eyes quickly found Krycek, sitting alone on one of the institutional couches. Two other agents sat across from him, while a third, stood looking out the window. At his entrance all the eyes in the room except Krycek's looked up.

"Agent Mulder," the man at the window moved toward him. "I'm AD Yamagishi."

Mulder shook the AD's outstretched hand. "Any word yet?"

"No," Yamagishi stated. "Can you tell me what happened, Agent Mulder. Krycek said that you and he followed Williams to some kind of meet?"

Mulder looked in Yamagishi's nearly black eyes which were level with Mulder's own. "Krycek came to the room my team is using a little before 6pm. He said Williams had called him saying that someone had contacted him about the composite we distributed."

"This would be the composite of the woman the last of victims was seen with?" Yamagishi interrupted.

"Yeah," Mulder confirmed. "I'm not sure how Williams was contacted, if the perp called the number posted. Krycek said he was going to join Williams at the meet, I opted to accompany him. We got there, saw Williams' car, and not finding him in it, we moved to the building. We were almost there when the shot rang out."

"After that..." the AD prompted.

"We reached the doors about the same time, Agent Krycek was slightly in front, he entered first. We saw the perp standing over Williams, pointing a weapon at his head. Krycek yelled for him drop his weapon. When he didn't we both fired."

Yamagishi nodded, "The preliminary report from the scene confirms this." I'm waiting for the final one..."

He was interrupted by the arrival of a doctor in surgical scrubs, "Excuse me are you the ones waiting for word on the FBI agent? I'm Doctor Paton, I performed the surgery on him."

"Yes," Yamagishi stepped forward. "I'm Assistant Director Yamagishi. Agent Williams works for me. How is he?"

"Extremely lucky to be alive," the doctor stated. "One inch lower and to the right and the bullet would have severed his aorta. His condition remains critical. He'll be in intensive care for a while."

Yamagishi nodded, "I'd like to be kept apprised of his condition Doctor and we need to speak to him as soon as possible."

"It will be several hours at least before he will be able to answer any questions," I will have the nurses notify you if there is any change or if he regains consciousness sooner than expected."

Yamagishi hesitated clearly unhappy about what the doctor was saying. "Agent Williams and his partner are working on a very serious case," he told Paton. "I'll leave one of my men here."

"That will be fine," the doctor told him.

The Doctor walked away and the AD turned to Mulder again, "Agent Mulder, I know that you and your team are here to work on another case..."

"My case seems to have more than a few things in common with the one Agents Williams and Krycek are working on," Mulder interrupted.

"I see," Yamagishi nodded. "Then you would be willing to continue working with Krycek?"

"Yes," Mulder stated.

"Good. Then if you wouldn't mind I'd like you to take Krycek home, the other agents and I will stay. I also would like your report by noon tomorrow, along with Krycek's."

Mulder stared into the AD's eyes for a moment then finding the sincerity he'd been looking for in the calm dark eyes he said, "You'll have them." He moved away from Yamagishi toward Krycek. The younger agent hadn't lifted his head during the entire time Mulder had been there, continuing to stare at the dull linoleum at his feet.

The older agent stood and waited until Krycek lifted his head. Hazel eyes met and held turbulent emerald, Mulder spoke softly, "Come on Alex, you need rest."

"I...I should stay," Krycek said hesitantly. "The AD...the AD will want my report."

"He wants it by tomorrow," Mulder stated. "Right now he wants you home."

Krycek glanced over to where his AD stood talking to one of the other agents, Yamagishi feeling the look, turned and then moved over to his younger colleague, "Go home, Alex. There's nothing more you can do here tonight."

For a moment Mulder thought the younger agent was going to argue, but Yamagishi gave him a look that would have done AD Skinner proud and Krycek nodded, "All right. I'll have the report to you first thing tomorrow."

The AD nodded, he didn't say anything as Krycek stood, reaching for the coat Mulder handed to him. He watched as the two of them walked out of the waiting room, the older agent staying close to the younger.

Mulder found himself wanting to pull Krycek into his arms and hold him. He'd noticed the tremors running through Alex's body when the younger man had reached for his coat. Mulder stayed as close to his companion as he could as they walked to the car.

"I should get my car," Alex said suddenly.

"Your car is in the FBI garage," Mulder told him. "It'll be fine there until morning."

"I..., " Krycek looked like he wanted to protest.

"I'll take you home, get you in the morning," Mulder said, smiling softly. He actually had no intention of leaving the younger man alone, even though he knew that's what Alex would want

Now he just wanted to get him home, taking Krycek's elbow, he steered Krycek to the car. After starting the engine, he turned to look at his companion. His concern grew deeper as he noticed the strained look on Krycek's face.

"Are you okay?"

"Stomach's acting up," Alex admitted.

"Do you have anything for it?" Mulder asked.

"At home."

"Okay. We'll be there soon," Mulder reached out and patted the thigh nearest him.

The two men remained silent for the rest of the trip. Mulder parked on the street outside of Krycek's flat. Exiting the car he moved to the passenger door, opening it he roused the younger agent who had fallen asleep.

"Come on, Alex. We're here." Mulder grasped the other man's upper arm and helped him from the car. After closing the door he guided Alex up the stairs to the front door.

"Keys."

It took Krycek a few moments to locate his keys in the pocket of his overcoat. He didn't say anything as he handed them to Mulder. Remaining silent even after they entered the flat.

"Where's the medicine?" Mulder asked after watching the other man wander from one room to the next.

"Bathroom and kitchen," Alex told him. "One of them has to be kept cold, it's in the refrigerator. It's kind of complicated..."

"I'm assuming that there are instructions somewhere?" Mulder prodded.

"Yeah," Krycek thought for a moment, "I left them...on the kitchen table."

Mulder raised an eyebrow at that then nodded, "Look why don't you go into the bedroom, I'll get everything and bring them to you."

"Okay."

The older agent watched as the younger man moved away, before walking into the kitchen. He found the sheet of instructions where Alex had said they were. He saw that they were dated from the night before. Krycek must have stopped after work yesterday to have the prescriptions filled. The younger agent was on three medications, all of them with different instructions. Following the schedule during a case like this one wasn't going to be easy. Mulder decided to do what he could to make it easier, feeling very sure that Krycek would never mention it.

Readying the required night dosage of the antibiotic, he went into the bathroom to get the Prevacid. Taking both and a glass of water he went into the bedroom.

He wasn't surprised to find that Alex hadn't made it into bed yet. The younger man sat on the side of the bed, staring into space. His hands were clinched into fists hanging between his knees, his shoulders slumped. As Mulder drew closer he could discern fine tremors running through the other's body.

"Alex," he said softly, when there was no reaction, he repeated it a bit more forcefully. "Alex."

Krycek raised his head, haunted green eyes finding Mulder's immediately. "I...he..he wouldn't drop the weapon. I didn't have a choice...I...Damn!"

Mulder watched as Alex turned away for a moment, jaw clenching, visibly bringing his emotions under control. Moving forward, he placed the meds on the nightstand then reached out to grip the younger man's shoulder massaging gently.

"Take your meds, and get some sleep," he said.

Alex nodded, he drank the antibiotic first grimacing at the taste, "why do they have to make this stuff so damn sweet? Not everyone taking it is a child."

Mulder grinned at him, "Scully says it's because they have to hide the true taste somehow, ultra sweet is the only way."

"I suppose," Alex said. He took the pill and chased it with the entire glass of water, ridding himself of the aftertaste from the antibiotic.

"Okay. Time for bed," Mulder told him, picking up the glass. He waited until Alex stood and headed to the bathroom, before returning the glass to the kitchen. By the time he returned to the bedroom, Alex was already there, lying under the covers. Mulder stripped to his underwear then slid in next to him.

At first Krycek lay rigid, muscles locked, but as Mulder began massaging his back he relaxed. It wasn't long before Alex began to shake slightly, Mulder remained silent, continuing with the slow massage. Finally Alex turned to face him and Mulder pulled him closer, feeling Alex's tears begin to soak his t-shirt.

Mulder continued to offer comfort and strength while the younger man wept, gradually the tears lessened, until with a sigh Alex snuggled closer and fell asleep. Mulder lay awake for a while longer thinking of what had clearly been the first time the younger agent had ever shot or killed anyone. After shooting Augustus Cole, Alex had managed to answer the questions thrown at him to the satisfaction of all the investigators. But as Mulder and he had driven away, he kept mumbling under his breath. It had taken the older agent a few minutes to make out the words, he'd been shocked to hear Krycek repeating over and over, "he was gonna shoot you. He was gonna shoot you."

Mulder had taken him home and after Krycek had thrown up dinner, lunch and breakfast, the older agent had poured half a bottle of vodka into him then put him to bed. Krycek had been clearly hung over the next day but grateful. Mulder had been looking forward to working with him again, but it wasn't to be. Two days later Krycek had been cleared of any doubts as to the correctness of the shooting and been reassigned to Seattle. Mulder had been partnered with another new agent, Karl Voiteh.

Voiteh had been involved in Scully's abduction; murdered Mulder's father and done everything in his power to subvert Mulder from the time they met on the Duane Barry case. It had been Scully who had killed the bastard. Voiteh had been waiting for Mulder in the Hoover garage shortly after they had returned from Antarctica. Neither Kersh or the Cancer Man had been pleased but Mulder could have kissed his feisty little partner that day.

Now, holding the peacefully slumbering Krycek in his arms, he smiled gently, part of him was amazed that both he and Scully had come through it all to be where they were today. He pressed a kiss into the dark sable hair, still smiling he let his mind drift and soon he too was asleep.

xx

San Francisco, CA; FBI Building
Tuesday 12 November 2002 11:43am

"Well?" Mulder asked falling into step beside Krycek, who had just walked out of the hearing on the shooting.

Krycek shrugged slightly, "I'm cleared. They said that I had no choice."

Mulder reached up and gripped his shoulder, squeezing for a moment then released him. "I know it's not easy for you, if it were, you wouldn't be working here. But sometimes..."

"I know," green eyes finally met his. "It's just that I wish things had turned out differently."

"Yeah," Mulder agreed. "Come on let's see if they've been able to identify him yet."

"Do we have a verification on the identity of the male victim found with Sarah Hamson?"

"Not the last time I checked," Mulder told him. "Roberts had some ideas he was going to pursue, we might have verification by now."

Identifying the male victim in the Sara Hamson case had proven to be more difficult than either of the agents had anticipated. It had taken a lot of digging and scores of phone calls before they had received a tentative identification from the owner of a vegetarian restaurant near the Stanford University campus. The owner, who'd only been shown a much retouched photo of the male victim, thought it might be a student he'd recently hired. But the hair color had been wrong he said.

The agents were encouraged nonetheless, as they knew the hair of both victims had been changed. Sarah's had been made slightly darker, while the male victims had been made several shades lighter.

Mulder turned this over in his mind as he walked beside Krycek to the elevator. He also took the time to examine his companion closely. Since the shooting Krycek had become much more silent. Mulder knew the other man was brooding, so far though he hadn't come up with a way to alleviate any of the stress affecting Alex. He had a feeling that only the solving of this case would do that.

They reached the elevator and stood waiting for it, Mulder didn't know what to say, and Krycek just wasn't talking. The elevator when it arrived already held several other agents, which made ride up four floors to the room they were using less uncomfortable than it might have been.

As they exited, Krycek turned to Mulder, "You said Roberts was checking the identity of the male victim. Is Meyers' working on the suspect?"

"Yeah, if we're lucky we may have both of them identified positively by now."

"We could use some luck," Krycek growled.

They entered the room to find Meyers and Roberts waiting for them, both the younger agents wore huge grins.

"Either you have good news for us," Mulder quipped. "Or someone has spiked the water."

"Krycek's male victim is Page Marken, a new transfer student at Stanford University, turns out there were actually two missing person's reports filed on him. One from the owner of the restaurant and one from an staffer at his dorm," Roberts' grin broadened. "Wait till you hear what Meyers found."

Mulder turned to the other man, raising an eyebrow at him.

"The man who shot Williams was also a student at Stanford, a John Donaldson, he'd been a student there for two and a half years," Meyers informed them, holding out a manila folder

"Stanford," Krycek mused, reaching for the file Meyers had been holding, "Could just be a coincidence."

"Could be," Mulder agreed. "It also might mean something." Looking at Roberts he asked, "Where's the file on Marken?"

Roberts dug through the several folders scattered on the desk he was using, finding the one he wanted he handed it to Mulder. Krycek had finished scanning the brief contents of the file he'd been given. "Not much here, although his GPA is impressively high."

"You'd expect that at Stanford," Meyers commented. "What's unusual is that it doesn't seem like he was involved in anything extracurricular."

"Why is it unusual?" Roberts asked, his native introversion coming to the fore. "Maybe he just liked to study."

"Why would someone who just likes to study, be luring FBI agents into traps?" Meyers inquired. "Stanford may not be a party campus, but they do have strong fraternities and sororities, as well as several other professional student organizations. Students are encouraged to join, to forge relationships that they can count on during their professional careers."

"Someone with this guy's GPA would be actively recruited," Krycek put in. "Unless there were other things about him that made him unwelcome."

Mulder nodded, "That is one of the things that we will need to look into when we get there."

"Get there?" Roberts asked.

"Yes," Mulder answered. "I want all four of us to go, up there today. You and Meyers see what you can learn about Marken. Krycek and I will see what we can learn about Donaldson."

"It's after noon now, Mulder," Krycek said. "It's not far, but taking time to pack, come back here, maybe eat, it will be late when we get there."

"We'll learn what we can today, stay nearby tonight and continue in the morning, that will save time tomorrow," Mulder told them. "I have a feeling that we need to move on this while we can."

Krycek nodded, "There seems to be some time table here that we're not aware of."

"So, we go pack a change of clothes and meet back here?" Meyers asked.

"Yeah," Mulder said, a bit reluctantly. "We'll stick together as much as we can. After what happened to Williams, I think AD Yamagishi would be happier."

"Okay," Roberts answered. "See you back here within the hour. Come on, Meyers you rode with me this morning, remember."

"How can I forget," Meyers answered, walking out of the room with his partner.

Mulder smiled as the two left, listening to their good-natured sniping as they progressed down the hall. "I'm not sure I'll be able to survive the two of them, for the drive to Stanford."

Krycek nodded distractedly, gathering together the files on Marken and Donaldson. "Do you think we'll be able to learn much in a day and a half?"

"We may need to stay longer," Mulder acknowledged. "Although four of us should make some head way in that time. At least that's what I'm hoping."

"Sounds like a plan," Krycek smiled for the first time that day. "I'll make a quick run to my place, and meet you back here."

"Okay." Mulder nodded. "See you here." Krycek turned away heading toward the door, when Mulder spoke again, "Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't forget your meds."

For a moment it looked as if the younger agent wanted to argue, then he sighed and nodded.

With an effort Scully would have been amazed to see, Mulder refrained from saying anything else, watching as Alex left heading to the garage and his car. Mulder made some phone calls, finding and booking rooms for the four of them near the Stanford campus for the night. Then he also headed to the garage and his rental.

xx

Stanford University Registrars Office
Tuesday 12 November 2002
4:11pm

The drive down to the University had been quiet, Roberts had driven, Mulder and Krycek spending the trip reading the files of the two people they were here to investigate. They stopped for a late lunch in Foster City, Mulder insisting that they actually eat something other than fast food. While Krycek appreciated it, he'd also chafed at the slight delay wanting to move forward with the investigation. Mulder put an end to his protests when he toke the younger man aside for a moment and warned him that if his health deteriorated, Mulder would have no choice but to inform Yamagishi.

Krycek knew Mulder was right, that didn't stop him from becoming furious with the older agent however. Roberts and Meyers were quiet during the meal, abstaining from their usual banter, aware of the tension between the two.

Mulder watched Krycek continue to read after ordering his lunch. Krycek didn't stop reading when the food came. Mulder announced, "Lunch is here." Krycek didn't answer, he slowly closed the file and placed it very carefully on the table. Picking up his fork he began to eat, during the meal he spoke to Meyers and Roberts about the case.

By the time they'd reached the campus, Krycek was not only completely professional he had also usurped Mulder's leadership with Meyers and Roberts. The two younger agents noticed, but wisely gave no sign of it.

As the four exited the registrar's office, each pair having received maps marked with the locations of the dorms Marken and Donaldson had been living in, Meyers looked at Krycek.

"You want us to meet back here?"

"Yeah," Krycek said. "Donaldson's dorm isn't that far. Shouldn't take you long to walk over. See what you can find out, friends, hobbies...you know the drill. Mulder and I will take the car to the dorm Marken lived in. If you're going to be late, use your cell phone. We'll do the same."

"Sounds good," Roberts nodded. "How long?"

"Let's plan on meeting back here at," Krycek glanced at his watch. "six-thirty. That should allow enough time for tonight."

"Okay. Let's go partner," Meyers said.

The two walked away purposefully. Mulder watched for a moment, then turned to the car. "You want to drive?" he asked.

"Yeah."

Both men got into the car, Mulder watched while Krycek settled in, fastening his seatbelt before putting the key in the ignition. "Alex?"

Silence was his only answer, though Krycek grew still, except for the muscle that twitched in his jaw.

"Alex," Mulder said softly. "I know you're angry. I don't want you any sicker. I couldn't always keep Scully out of harms way. I won't do the same to you."

Krycek looked over at him, green eyes flashing, until he saw the look in the hazel eyes staring into his. Slowly he let the tension drain away, "I don't like being threatened Mulder," he growled.

Mulder reached out and rubbed the younger man's shoulder. "I didn't want to get into an argument with you in front of the others. I should have been less confrontational."

"Williams had...has a way of making every one of our interactions some kind of contest," Alex smiled tightly. "I shouldn't have over-reacted."

"Can we both admit to being stubborn and go from there," Mulder smiled back.

"Yeah," a real smile lit Alex's face. "I'll admit that much."

"Okay. Good. Now, let's go see if we can find anything out about Marken."

Krycek nodded and started the car he pulled out of the parking lot, driving slowly through the busy campus to the dorm Marken had been living in. While Stanford had a much smaller student body than Berkeley, the campus covered nearly as much ground. Krycek had to drive to the other side of campus to get to the building Marken had been living in.

As the two agents entered the building they were met by a man in his mid-thirties, "Agents Mulder and Krycek?"

"Yes," Krycek frowned.

"I'm Vince Boehm, I'm one of the Resident Deans here."

"You were expecting us, Mr. Boehm?" Mulder asked.

"The registrar's office called and said you would be coming," the man admitted. "This is a small private University, we have a reputation to do everything to ensure that the students entrusted to us have the most positive experience possible."

The two agents glanced at each other, then Krycek addressed the man, his voice harsh, "Mr. Boehm, we fully appreciate and understand that you want to shield the students from as much unpleasantness as possible. The fact remains, one of your students is dead. The victim of a crime. Another was killed during the commission of a crime."

Boehm drew himself up, affronted dignity in every inch of his posture, "Now see here..."

"Mr. Boehm," Mulder put in smoothly. "Believe me when I say that we don't want to upset your students. We do however have to investigate both of these crimes. You would be doing your students a service if you encourage them to co-operate with us."

I understand that, Agent Mulder," the academic said. "I will do as you ask of course, this has been a shock. Page had only been here a short time, but he was well liked. He had many friends here in this dorm, and around campus. He was a very gifted, intelligent, compassionate young man. I don't understand how something like this could have happened."

Krycek spoke, "there was a missing person's report filed about five weeks ago, you were the one that filed it."

"Yes," Boehm nodded. "As I said we take our responsibility toward our students very seriously. When Page failed to come back, and no one had seen him for a few days I filed the report."

"And you heard nothing from the police after that?" Mulder asked.

I called several times, but they didn't sound too hopeful, or helpful for that matter," Boehm told them. "I tried to contact Page's parents, but they were out of the country. They still are actually."

"Yes," Mulder nodded, "We were given that information. What we need is to try and recreate the last day or so that Mr. Marken was here. Where he went, who he was seen with. To do that we need to talk to as many of the students here in the dorm, in his classes as possible."

"We also need to see his room," Krycek said.

"He has...had a roommate," Boehm started. "I'm not sure..."

"Mr. Boehm, this is a murder investigation," Mulder said interrupted him. "We'd rather avoid getting a search warrant and calling attention to our investigation. But we can will if it's necessary."

"No...no it won't be necessary," Boehm waved the thought away. "I'll take you to the room Marken shared."

The two agents followed the RD through the dorm and up a flight of stairs to the double room that Marken had shared with another student. "Carl is in class right now," Boehm told them opening the door for the agents. He pointed to one side of the room, "this is...was Page's part of the room."

Krycek nodded and moved to the desk on the side of the room indicated, he sat down and began going through the drawers one at a time.

Watching him Boehm frowned, "Is this strictly necessary? I mean what can you..."

"Mr. Boehm I know what we're doing seems intrusive," Mulder addressed him. "It may seem harsh, but the reality is that murder victims often have far more of their lives revealed than they would want."

"It seems so...." The academic began.

"I know," Mulder smiled. "Why don't you wait down-stairs. It would be better if the roommate didn't find us here with no warning. We'll have questions for you and him later."

"All right," Boehm said eyeing the silent Krycek, who was still closely examining the contents of the desk. "I'll be down stairs, just come into the main room, I'll be there."

"Thanks," Mulder told him. After the man left he shut the door and then went to the dresser that was near Marken's desk.

Krycek looked up, "Thanks. I let him get to me."

"Don't worry about it," Mulder smiled, "Too bad Scully wasn't here to see it though."

"Why?" the younger agent asked, finally smiling.

"I'm not known for being a diplomat," Mulder admitted. "That's usually her job. Or if I've really stepped in it, Skinner's."

Krycek chuckled then turned back to the desk, the two of them continued searching the room. Finally they'd looked in everything that had belonged to Page Marken. Finishing with the closet, Mulder looked at Krycek who was powering down the student's computer. "Anything?"

"No. Just a few things in his favorites list, mostly having to do with music sites. The system wasn't even password protected. There were a few email messages, nothing out of the ordinary that I could see. Only a few people in his address book, about what you would expect from someone who'd only transferred here."

Mulder nodded, "Let's go see if the roommate is back yet. Maybe he will know something."

"Maybe," Krycek answered, sounding less than hopeful.

The two agents retraced their steps to the first floor and the main room, they found Boehm there talking to a man in his mid forties and a much younger man who they thought was the room mate. Their guess was confirmed as they walked to the three and Boehm stood.

"Agents Mulder and Krycek," he greeted them. "This is Sean Waite, Page Marken's room mate."

"And..." Mulder prompted.

"This is my colleague, Dr. Edwards, he's the resident faculty advisor," Boehm told them.

"I see," Mulder acknowledged. "We have a few questions for Sean, if you don't mind."

"No," Boehm answered, he turned to the young man, "Sean, we'll be in the office. Come in when you've finished with the agents."

"Sure, Mr. Boehm," Waite said. When the two staffers had walked away, he turned to the agents. "Marken is really dead?"

"Yes," Krycek told him, sitting on the couch beside the student, "I'm afraid he is." Mulder took a seat opposite them, where he could observe the Waite.

"Man, that sucks big time," the student said looking at Krycek, then glancing at Mulder. "I mean who would kill him. He was this really nice guy. Almost too nice, you know?"

"No, we don't," Krycek answered, "Why don't you tell us?"

Waite sat slightly forward, he made a slight gesture in the air, "Well, it was like, he trusted everybody, I mean everybody. He was always seeing the good in people, no matter what."

"Were there people who took advantage of this?" Krycek asked.

"Not really, I mean that was the other thing about him," Waite mused. "Even guys who can be real pains, some of the jocks and a few of the others, didn't bother him. It was like they all just kind of agreed not to give him the same shit they give some of the rest of us."

Krycek raised an eyebrow, "You have any idea why they didn't give him a hard time?"

"I asked one of them once," Waite said. "This guy on the hockey team, I know. He said Page just wouldn't get it anyway. He said it would be like kicking a puppy. Didn't do anything but make you look like a jerk, and Marken would probably just forgive the person anyway."

"I see," Krycek told the student. "Did Marken have many friends? Was he a loner? We know he was new to Stanford."

"He was new, but I swear he knew half the student body," Waite smiled. "I mean we'd go out on campus, to the library or something, and we'd get stopped so often we were always late. Everybody would stop him to talk to him. And he'd talk to them."

"His major was Psychology, right?" Mulder asked.

"Yeah, with a minor in Sociology," Waite nodded. "He would have made a great shrink. He was easy to talk to, always made you feel like you were important, even if he was only saying hi and asking how you were."

"So, you can't think of any one that might have wanted to hurt him?" Krycek asked.

"No. I mean it just doesn't make sense."

Krycek stood, reaching into his inside jacket pocket he withdrew a business card, "All right listen, here's my card. It's got my direct office number. If you think of anything, anything at all, call."

"Okay," Waite said sincerely, "I will."

Mulder stood as well, "thanks for your time, Sean."

"Sorry I couldn't be more helpful," Waite stated.

"You helped as much as you could," Mulder said. "If you think of anything else call."

"I will."

The two agents smiled at the young man once more then headed for the door and their car.

"Where to now?" Krycek asked as they reached the car.

"Undergrad counseling," Mulder said. "Let's see if the two of them shared any classes, or anything else."

"Sounds good. Do you want to see if Meyers and Roberts are done at Donaldson's dorm, we'll be driving by there on our way to the UAC."

Mulder took out his cell phone, pressing one of the buttons, he waited then spoke, "It's Mulder. Are you finished at the dorm? Okay, we're on our way to..." he glanced at Krycek.

"Undergraduate Advisor Center," the other agent told him.

Mulder repeated the information into the phone, "according to Krycek we'll pass by your location, if you're done we can pick you up." He listened to the response then said, "Okay. We'll be there in a few minutes."

He broke the connection and put the phone away. Looking at his companion he said, "All right, you want to tell me how you know so much about this campus?"

To Mulder's delight his question brought a definite flush to Krycek's face. "Alex. You've been holding out. You went here didn't you?"

"Yes. Class of '89."

"Why didn't you say something?" Mulder asked.

Krycek shrugged starting the car and pulling it out of the lot, on to the street. "Didn't seem to be important."

"You don't think it might have a little to do with your attitude with Boehm?" Mulder inquired gently.

Krycek's jaw clenched, for a moment it looked like he was going to argue then he relaxed, "Maybe. This is a good school, it's a good place to come to learn. It's just not the academics it's the whole thing. A community, it's small and social, and I'll admit it a bit innocent. There's a lot of naïveté here; it's encouraged in some ways."

"You enjoyed it here." Mulder stated.

"Yeah. I did," Krycek nodded. "Marken was enjoying it as well, maybe Donaldson was, too, before whoever got him involved in whatever it is that's behind these murders."

"And that makes you angry?"

"Yes. It does." Krycek stated firmly. "These are some of the best and brightest. They should have a chance to excel, not end up cut up, or shot."

"None of the victims deserved what happened to them, Alex," Mulder reminded him.

"I know," Krycek snapped. "I would never think they did."

Both agents were silent for a few moments, then Krycek said, "I know what you're doing."

"Is it working?"

"Yeah. I can't let myself get angry just because things have moved to my alma mater," he sighed. "Sometimes....this case."

"You've been on this case for two years without gaining any ground, it makes sense that you'd start to feel angry," Mulder told him. "Just don't let it cloud your judgment or alienate those who can help us. And don't you ever tell Scully you heard those words come out of my mouth."

The younger agent laughed, "She'll never hear it from me. You know, I didn't think she liked me much back when we worked together."

Mulder grinned, "I think she just missed me. If she had to chose between you and your successor, I think you'd win hands down."

"Didn't she shoot him?" Krycek asked.

"Yeah," Mulder's grin grew wider.

"Mulder, you sound happy about it."

"I am, I was then, I am now," the older agent admitted. "Voiteh was a scum sucking piece of slime."

"I heard some of what he did," Krycek nodded. "Although no one heard the entire story."

"I think I said I'll tell you some time," Mulder said. "After this case, sometime when we can both get drunk, I'll tell you the whole thing."

"All right."

"Of course," Mulder continued deadpan. "I'll have to shoot you after I tell you."

They were pulling up to Donaldson's dorm and Krycek was laughing when Meyers and Roberts opened the rear doors and climbed in. Roberts looked at Mulder, eyebrows raised.

"I've just told him that if I tell him everything that went on with the Voiteh and everything I'd have to shoot him," the older agent said.

"That's right," Roberts said solemnly, "That is highly classified information, we're made to sign a very specific blood oath, administered by Scully."

"Does Scully know about this?" Krycek asked still chuckling.

"Of course not," Roberts continued, "she's been hypnotized to respond to a certain word and only then will she administer the oath."

"I see. And who knows this word, Mulder?" Krycek played along.

"No. We can't trust him. Skinner's the only one that knows the word."

"Wait a minute," Mulder protested. "What do you mean you can't trust me?"

Whatever response Roberts might have made was lost when Krycek pulled the car up and parked outside the UAC, "Gentlemen. May I remind you that we are FBI agents investigating a serious crime?"

"We'll table this discussion,...for now," Mulder quipped, exiting the car.

The others also climbed out, and together the four walked into the building. They already had the names of both Donaldson and Marken's advisors. After scanning the directory they split up. Roberts and Meyers going toward the elevator and Donalson's advisor, while Mulder and Krycek walked down the hall and around the corner to where the woman who had been Marken't advisor had her office.

The name on the office door was Lisa Wermerger, Mulder knocked on the frosted glass and a sultry melodious voice answered, "Come on in, it's open."

The two agents entered the office, to find an afro-american woman, somewhere in her mid-forties to mid fifties sitting behind an immaculately clean desk. A dazzling white smile greeted them, as she spoke again, her voice giving the simple words far more warmth than usual, "Please have a seat, how may I help you gentlemen?"

The agents found themselves smiling back as they seated themselves, Krycek introduced them, "Ms. Wermerger, I'm special Agent Alex Krycek, This is Agent Fox Mulder from the FBI..."

"Are you a special agent too?" she asked Mulder, dark eyes glinting with humor.

"Yes, ma'am," Mulder smiled.

"I see," she nodded, "How can I help you?"

"We're here about Page Marken," Krycek began.

"That poor child," she said immediately. "Who would do such a thing?"

"We're trying to find that out," Krycek said. "We're trying to find out if he'd had any problems, any run ins with anyone on campus."

"No." she told them, firmly. "I have a few others who rub people the wrong way sometimes deliberately. But not Page, he was just genuinely sweet. Everybody liked him, I mean everybody. He lit up a room, just being there. He was like a rainbow breaking through the rain."

"Did he have any academic problems?"

"None. He was bright, very intelligent, a good listener and an incredibly articulate speaker. I was trying to get him to go into teaching; he'd have made a marvelous teacher," she stated.

"Did he have any financial problems?" Mulder asked. "This isn't an inexpensive place to live."

"Page's parents are very well off, and they planned well for his education," she answered.

"Yet he was working," Krycek said. "His boss filed one of the missing person's reports."

"Page liked people," Wermerger told them. "Working in the restaurant gave him an opportunity to meet more people to interact with them while they were doing something real and basic. At least that's what he told me."

"So he didn't really need the money?"

"No. Although from what I hear, he was making a small fortune in tips," she smiled. "When I asked him about that, he joked that if he flunked out, he could always pursue a back up career as a waiter."

The agents smiled, then after glancing at each other for a moment they stood, almost together. "Thank you for your time," Krycek said, he took out a business card and handed it to her. "If you think of anything else, please call."

"I will," she said. They moved towards the door when she spoke again, "Agents?"

"Yes," Mulder said turning.

"I hope you catch whoever did this."

"We hope so too, ma'am."

They left, closing the door behind them. Neither spoke as them walked back to the front lobby. Meyers and Roberts were already there waiting for them.

"Anything?" Krycek asked.

"Maybe, come on let's not talk about it here," Roberts answered.

"Okay. It's late anyway, why don't we head back to the hotel. Get dinner and talk there," Mulder suggested.

"Sounds good," Krycek agreed. The others nodded, and together they went back to the car. They didn't speak much on the drive back to the nearby Holiday Inn they were staying in. By unspoken mutual agreement they waited until they were seated in the hotel's restaurant to talk about what they'd learned.

Roberts and Meyers were uncharacteristically quiet, although both kept looking around nervously, fingers making restless gestures. Mulder sensed they wanted to wait until the four of them were alone before they would talk about what they had learned. He waited until they had all placed their orders and the server had left before saying, "Okay guys, give."

"John Donaldson was not a very well liked young man," Meyers began. "We were able to talk to the Resident Dean of his dorm, his current roommate and two previous roommates."

"And a couple of others who live on the floor, plus three girls who also live in the dorm," Roberts added. "I get the feeling that if he hadn't been so intelligent, he might have been asked to leave."

"The Resident Dean and his advisor both said the same thing," Meyers continued. "That Donaldson had "socialization issues". The young agent used his hands to place quotation marks around the statement.

Mulder asked, "Did either of them have any ideas about where these socialization issues might have stemmed from, or what they might lead to."

"If either of them knew what caused the issues, they weren't saying," Roberts said. "I got the feeling that they were a bit nervous about where his problems were heading."

"I don't think they were too shocked by what happened," Meyers said. "Although they went through all the motions."

"His roommates were more honest, the current one flat out said he wasn't surprised," Roberts reported. "He said he'd put in a request for a room change. He said Donaldson's behavior was just too weird."

"Was he violent?" Krycek asked. "Threatening?"

"No. None of that," Roberts said. "Everyone we talked to, mentioned his ego. Which they said was enormous. Lately though he'd been secretive about something, although he'd make veiled threats to some sort of power he would be getting."

"Power?" Mulder asked.

"Yeah. We questioned that one too," Meyers looked thoughtful. "Only the other students mentioned it. One of the girls said, that when she had to turn him down rather forcefully, Donaldson told her that when he came into his power he'd be a force to fear and that she would be sorry she wouldn't be his chosen one then."

"Chosen one?" Krycek questioned raising an eyebrow. "Powers, force? What was he talking about?"

"No one knew," Roberts shook his head. "Only that his ego was bigger than ever, he was practically daring people to say something about it. To disagree with him. His advisor said he'd started challenging his professors. Being openly disrespectful, belittling and snide in class as well as out."

It was Mulder's turn to frown, "When did this start? I'm gathering that while he never was the most popular guy he wasn't always certifiable."

"From what the students said, it was only the last month or so that he started talking about powers," Meyers answered.

"Sounds like your theory of a cult may be true," Krycek told Mulder.

"Yes, but if it's a cult that's behind all the murders, a cult that's been active for two or more years, why would Donaldson just start talking so openly," Mulder queried.

"Maybe he wasn't a member before," Meyers conjectured.

"Or he wasn't a member at all," Krycek said. "If he was just joining, or trying to join."

Mulder nodded, "His behavior would be consistent with someone who was trying to fit in, to impress both the people outside the group and the people in it."

"Even luring Williams to a meeting and shooting him would fit," Krycek added. "Trying to impress the right people with how far he was willing to go."

"Christ," Roberts swore. "You don't think they ordered him to shoot Williams, do you."

"Not Williams specifically," Mulder said thoughtfully. "But one of us, one of the team that is working the case. After all Williams got the tip that took him to the Conservatory from the hotline number."

"This group could have more like Donaldson out there," Krycek said.

Mulder nodded, "Which means, that from now on, no one goes to any meeting or anywhere else, without backup. We already know these people will kill, and they've shown, at least one of them has, that they're not afraid to kill agents."

"We'd better make sure the local cops know that too," Roberts added.

"I'll call Yamagishi when we get upstairs, he'll be better at talking to all the local PD's," Mulder agreed.

"What about tomorrow?" Meyers asked. "Where do we start?"

"Do you have a list of the classes Donaldson was in?" Mulder asked, when the two nodded he continued, "Start with those. We'll check out the ones Marken was in. We'll also check out the restaurant where Marken worked. See if you can find any place that Donaldson liked to hang out and hang out there a while yourselves."

The two younger agents nodded not saying anything further as the server brought their meals. Mulder steered the conversation away from the case while they ate, wanting to ensure that Krycek ate well.

The four finished their meal, teased Mulder about having to explain the charges on his next expense report as he signed the bill, then made their way up to their rooms.

Roberts and Meyers were laughing as they walked into the double Mulder had reserved for them. "Have I ever told you how loud he snores?" Meyers was whining.

"Oh really," Roberts said indignantly. "And what is all that noise I hear from you at night."

"Self defense," Meyers said seriously.

Mulder snorted, "Good night guys."

"Good night Mulder, Krycek," the two chorused, then entered their room. Krycek followed Mulder down the hall a few feet to their room.

"I guess I better take my medicine," he said sighing.

"Your stomach acting up?"

"No, but...," Krycek admitted.

"Okay," Mulder smiled, beginning to undo his tie.

Krycek retreated to the bathroom, where his medicine was, Mulder heard the water run for a while as his companion filled a glass. Krycek came back into the room, "I'm going to take a shower, okay?"

"Sure," Mulder smiled from where he reclined on one of the beds channel surfing.

Krycek pulled off his jacket and suit pants, standing in his socks and underwear he grabbed a few things from his overnight bag and retreated into the bathroom again.

Mulder listened for a few moments until the shower went on, it crossed his mind to join the younger man, but Krycek hadn't invited him. He wanted to let the younger man know that he respected his wishes. Still just imagining that body wet and slick with soap, Mulder sighed, telling his awakening cock to relax and go to sleep. Fortunately, before he had to argue with himself too long, the water shut off, and after a few more minutes Krycek emerged, wearing clean boxers and a towel.

Alex sat on the other bed, still toweling his hair, Mulder glanced at him, then stood. "A shower sounds like a good idea." He quickly stripped off his pants, laying them over the chair with his already discarded jacket.

In the shower, Mulder leaned against the wall, letting the water cascade over his skin. He was torn, part of him wanted to jerk off, the other part wanted Alex. He knew that the latter wasn't going to happen not with Roberts and Meyers next door. He and Alex weren't exactly quiet and even over the sound of the shower he could hear the two younger agents talking next door. As he soaped his chest he found himself teasing his nibbles bringing the rose colored buds to tight peaks. His hand traveled down further across his ribs and belly, he imagined it as Alex's hand, Alex's tongue bathing him, instead of the soapy cloth. He let his hand drift further, skimming over his hips, down his thigh a bit, back up the other one, before finally taking his cock in his hand. Fingers lightly caressing, teasing himself, all the while imagining it as Alex. He couldn't keep up the teasing for long though, and remembering Alex's mouth around his cock, he gripped his shaft hard stroking, once, twice, again, again, until he came against the wall of the shower, biting his lip to keep from yelling.

He stood for a few moments, letting his heart rate become normal, then quickly finished his shower. Donning fresh boxers and a t-shirt he exited the bathroom.

Krycek was already in bed, covers pulled up to his shoulders, he'd turned out the lights, but Mulder could see by the light coming from the TV that the younger man's eyes were closed, his breathing even. Mulder thought about getting into the second double bed for all of a second, but after checking to make sure that the connecting and outer doors to the room were locked, he eased in beside Krycek. He knew he'd made the right decision when Alex turned over in his sleep and snuggled close. Mulder smiled, fingers gently combing through the slight damp strands of sable hair.

US HWY 101, California
Wednesday, 13 November 2002 7:36pm

Mulder drove the rental back, Krycek sitting in the passenger seat beside him. Meyers and Roberts were in the back seat, going over the notes they'd taken. Not that any of them had learned much more. They'd spent the day interviewing teachers, classmates, acquaintances, and Marken's employer, none of whom could add anything to what they'd already learned. No one new anything about some mysterious power that Donaldson had been waiting to receive. No one knew or would admit they knew anything about any group or cult on campus or close to it.

All four agents were tired and frustrated, they all felt that something was going to happen and soon. They had been hoping that Donaldson was a lead, something concrete that they could use, finally after all the time of no clues only bodies. That this one seeming break should come to a dead end, didn't sit well with any of them. But other than bringing in all sixteen thousand plus students at Stanford for intensive interrogation their hands were tied.

They reached San Francisco, and Mulder dropped Roberts and Meyers at their hotel.

"I'll see you at the office tomorrow morning," Mulder told the two. "We'll go over every statement, every word. There might be something we've missed."

Neither of the other two looked hopeful, but they nodded and walked into the hotel. Returning to the car, Mulder got into the driver's seat and buckled his seat belt.

"I need to go by my hotel," he told Krycek. "I need to pick up more clean clothes. That is, if you don't mind me coming back to your place."

"No, I don't mind," they younger man said. "I don't promise to be very good company though."

Mulder shrugged, "You're tired, I'm tired. We're both frustrated. We'll relax, get some sleep. See if we can come at this from a different angle in the morning."

Krycek nodded, but didn't say anything. The drive to Mulder's hotel was over quickly. It didn't take long for him to gather his clean clothes. Leaving his dirty clothes for the hotel to clean, he left, joining Krycek who had opted to wait in the car for him. The first of dinner hour traffic was on the road and it took them a little longer to reach Krycek's home.

After parking the car the two men entered the apartment, Krycek pulled his jacket off, and began on his tie, moving toward the bedroom. "Be back in a moment," he said over his shoulder.

Mulder watched him go, feeling a little envious, he hadn't expected to be in San Francisco as long as he had and he'd only brought working clothes, and a pair of speedos. The hotel had a pool, as did the FBI building.

Alex came back into the room wearing jeans, a faded blue t-shirt with a flannel plaid shirt over the top. He was carrying another set of clothes, which he offered to Mulder, "I found these, my brother left them the last time he was here. He's closer to your size than I am."

Mulder took what turned out to be a pair of jeans and a almost new sweat shirt, "You sure he won't mind?"

Krycek shrugged, "He shouldn't have left them here if he does mind. Possession is nine-tenths of the law, and I possess them now. Well you do actually."

Mulder grinned, "thanks."

Taking the clothes he retreated to the bedroom, while changing he thought that if he had a basketball hoop and take out Chinese he'd feel right at home. He was pulling the sweatshirt over his head when Krycek appeared at the door.

"I was going to order Chinese, anything you want specifically?"

Mulder laughed, he stopped when his head cleared the opening in the sweatshirt and he saw Alex's puzzled expression. "I was just thinking," he said. "That if I had a basketball hoop and Chinese delivery I'd feel right at home."

Krycek smiled, shyly, "I can't provide the basketball hoop, don't think my neighbors would approve, but ordering Chinese when I don't feel like cooking is a regular occurrence."

Mulder smiled, "Well then, I'd like Hot and Sour soup, Kung Bo Chicken...."

Krycek looked at him, eyebrows raised, "I can see I won't be sharing with you."

"Why not?"

"My stomach, remember," Krycek pouted slightly.

"Oh." Mulder looked chagrined. "Then I'll have umm."

Alex laughed, "No. Go ahead and order what you like."

"You're sure?"

"Sure," green gleamed with humor.

"All right, Hot and Sour soup, Kung Bo Chicken and Shrimp Fried Rice," Mulder told him.

"Okay," Alex moved to the other room, and the phone. Mulder stood and watched as their dinner order was placed. Turning to look at the older man, Krycek said, "it'll be here in about forty-five minutes.

"I think there's a game on," Mulder suggested heading into the living room.

Krycek followed, "Who's playing?"

"SuperSonics and the Mavericks," Mulder told him, picking up the remote and turning the set on.

"Seattle and Dallas," Krycek rolled his eyes sitting beside the older man. "This ought to be good."

"Let's sit here and see which is the worst," Mulder smiled.

"Since they're playing to see which will be the worst in the NBA, that shouldn't be too hard," Krycek sneered.

Mulder laughed. The two men sat watching the game, getting up only when the food arrived. Krycek had a Tivo and they paused the game, although they both joked that they couldn't possibly miss much. Settled with their food, they ate and watched the rest of the dismal game. Mulder tried a few times to steal some of Krycek's almond chicken, but the younger agent foiled every attempt. Mulder pouted when Alex refused to share his wonton soup as well. They'd both ordered fried rice, although Alex had ordered pork, not shrimp. That he was willing to share, but not anything else.

"You're no fun," Mulder said.

"Next time maybe you won't order everything that's spicy," Krycek told him.

Mulder sighed but didn't say anything else, secretively he was happy that Alex was actually enjoying his food since he had eaten next to nothing for breakfast and lunch. This relaxed meal was just what he needed. They finished eating, putting the food away during half-time. Then sat and watched the last of the game, Mulder sipping a beer, Krycek drinking bottled water.

It was almost midnight by the time the game ended, the score was 54 to 60, Seattle the winner. Mulder was chuckling as the two made their way to the bedroom, "The Knicks have nothing to worry about from either of those teams."

"My High-School team would have nothing to worry about from those two," Krycek snorted. "Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe them."

"True," Mulder smiled. Then changing the subject, "Did you take your meds?"

"Yes, Mom," Alex smiled a little, getting into bed and lying on his back. Mulder smiled back, climbing in beside Alex. His smile grew broader when the younger man yawned.

"Fox, I'm sorry," Krycek began only to be interrupted by another yawn.

"Go to sleep, Alex," Mulder told him. Reaching for the lamp he turned the light off. "It's late, and we have to be in the office tomorrow."

Krycek yawned again shifting slightly to get comfortable, it wasn't long before his breathing evened out and deepened into sleep. Mulder lay awake for a long while after, letting his mind turn to the bizarre case they were on. He turned the facts over one by one again, reviewing the statements of the people they'd spent the day talking to. Some where they were missing something, of that he was sure. He just couldn't find the one piece of the puzzle that would illuminate what it was. Two hours later he gave up and let himself fall asleep, still trying to find the answer.

xx

FBI Building, San Francisco, CA
Friday 15 November 2002 7:28am

"What's going on," Mulder asked as he and Krycek reached the room they'd been sharing. Meyers, Roberts were already there, but they walked out of the room as the older agents joined them.

"We've got another scene," Meyers said. "SFPD received the report from the MPs about half an hour ago. The MPs have secured the scene."

"MPs?" Mulder questioned.

"Yeah," Roberts spoke up as the four entered the elevator. "This time it's on the old Presidio Army base."

"I thought the base was closed. Wasn't it decommissioned several years ago?" Mulder asked.

"It was," Krycek confirmed. "But it's still US government land. And it's patrolled by a small group of Military Police. Not regularly, so it's become a place to sneak onto for local kids. In some ways it always was."

Mulder nodded, "So it would be easy for our cult to get in."

None of the others answered his statement as they reached the garage. They split up, Mulder and Krycek going to one car, Meyers and Roberts another. The agents drove swiftly through the early morning streets to the abandoned army base. At the main gate they were met by a MP and a uniformed San Francisco Police officer. Mulder flashed his badge at them and they were waved through. They followed the winding road through the eerily silent base. The fog shrouded the car lending an even greater sense of isolation. As they neared what should have been a quiet wooded area not far from the National Cemetery the fog was garishly lit by the revolving lights of emergency vehicles. Mulder parked the car, then waited until Meyers and Roberts parked next to he and Krycek. Glancing once at his companion, Mulder exited the car, followed by Krycek; Meyers and Roberts followed slightly behind them. As they drew closer all four agents caught the unmistakable stench of burned flesh.

The pathologist Mulder had met during the last autopsy approached the four, already talking, "this just gets weirder. Are these people completely insane? What's the purpose in killing someone like this..."

"Wow," Mulder stopped him, holding up one hand. "What do we have here?"

"I'm sorry," Hector said. Taking a deep breath he blew it out forcibly. "As near as I can make out we've got four corpses..."

"Four?!" Krycek questioned.

"As far as I can tell," Hector said. "It's hard to..."

"Show us."

"Okay," the pathologist agreed reluctantly. "It's not very pretty."

Mulder nodded and led the way to where there was a tarp spread on the ground, reaching it, he started to squat down, when Krycek stopped him with a hand on his shoulder.

"There's another one," green eyes gleamed with anger as he pointed to where another tarp covered mound lay several yards away.

"Direct line," Mulder said, nodded glancing at the second covered corpse.

Sitting on his heels he lifted the tarp they were near, his eyes widened slightly and he grimaced as the condition of the corpse or corpses was revealed.

"Shit!" Meyers swore, turning green and backing away.

Roberts glanced away, swallowing visibly, "Christ!" he stated.

Krycek's voice was ice cold as he asked the pathologist, "Do you have any idea how they died, beyond the obvious?"

"They bodies are too badly charred, I can make out ligature marks on the throats, looks like a rope of some kind, might match what's left around the wrists and ankles. There is some indication of suffocation, though I don't know what caused it. There might be poison as well, one of the other corpse shows signs of that. I won't know anything, including age and sex until I do the autopsies. But I'd say that we've got two men, and two women here."

"They've upped the anti," Mulder stated, letting the tarp fall back to cover the dead.

Krycek nodded, standing. "I've been afraid of this. That if we didn't catch them they would escalate. They didn't even make an attempt to hide either of them this time."

"More in the open," Mulder agreed.

"More in our faces," Krycek growled.

Glancing once more at the covered bodies, he turned and walked back to the car. The forensic specialist would search for clues, though if they found any he'd be surprised. For Alex Krycek, his nightmare had just come true, more bodies and still they were no closer to finding the people responsible.

xx

Nightcloud@worldnet.att.net

Title: Half Moon Bay and Strawberries- Part 4
Author: Nightcloud
Date: 8 July 2001
Rating: R-NC17: For Violence and solitary sex
Pairing: M/K
Archive: Ratb-K and Down in the Basement, everyone else please ask.
Summary: Basically a "what if", What if Alex Krycek had been the green rookie he seemed to be in Sleepless? What if he and Mulder met again after the demise of the Conspiracy et al?
Series?: Yes. Parts 1-3 are archived at Ratb-K and Down in the Basement.
Warnings/Spoilers: Not a one, this is an AU.
Author's Notes Not a lot of sex this time around. I've done as much research as possible long distance to get the places, campus etc correct. I want to thank Carol S. for beta as always. Any mistakes, inaccuracies are mine.
Disclaimer: Alex Krycek, Fox Mulder, Dana Scully, CSM, Skinner and Kersh belong to CC and 1013. Everyone else is mine. If you sue me you'll fulfill my life long dream of having some rich person pay off my debts.
Feedback: Yes please! Send to Nightcloud@worldnet.att.net

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]