Go to notes and disclaimers


Survival of the Species III
by Niffusa


The terror-streaked features of his face began to fade as the black convertible came to a skidding halt in the parking lot of the club. "Hey, Ex," Mulder began with a tremble still in his voice, "I like a good thrill ride as much as the next guy, but next time, I'm driving."

"Dream on, Foxy," Exstasy drolled. "My car, and you, my dear, are my toy... at least for tonight."

He sat in the back seat taking a few deep breaths while the two vixens prepared for their entrance into the club.

"Okay, Mulder, here's the deal. This is a very special kind of club. Not everyone inside is Kindred and, therefore, not everyone knows you're off limits. So for your own protection... and our amusement... while you are in the club, you will be wearing this." Dangling from the finger of the Bruaha Primogen, Mulder saw a collar—a leather, studded collar.

"Wait a minute! You don't expect me to... " the stunned agent began to protest.

"Hey, Ex," Eris interrupted, "it's not going to work with the turtle neck."

"Well, then I guess he'll just have to lose the shirt, won't he?" The two of them began working in tandem until Fox Mulder was suitably shirtless and collared. In fact, he didn't get a word in edgewise until the leash had been clipped onto the ring in the front of his newly acquired attire.

"Almost perfect," declared the babyfaced vampire, "but something is definitely missing. Any objections to getting your nipple pierced?" she asked with a flippant toss of her hair and a smile on her face that hinted at the child who had just stolen a cookie from the cookie jar.

He backed up as far as the tether around his neck would allow as Exstasy found a comfortable perch for herself on the trunk of the convertible, and lured her prey back against her body. She snaked her arms under his and then over the tops of his shoulders, all the while stroking him with one part of her anatomy or another... her hands, her body, her cheek... all were used as the tools she knew her physical form to be. Her legs wrapped themselves around his waist pulling him back tightly against her chest. And until the arms that wrapped around him had turned into a vice grip, Mulder was quite enjoying the attention being lavished on him—but at this point in time, he was more worried about the vampire hovering in front of him.

"Come on, guys... can't we talk about this?" Mulder begged as he struggled against the strength holding him down.

"Now, Foxlet... the more you fight the less, ummm, tidy the hole will be." The sight of Fox Mulder squirming in delicious dismay was enough to put the humor in Ecstasy's voice. She wouldn't really allow Eris to put one of her fangs, which was at the moment looming just a breathe away from his chest, through the mortal's nipple—the Baroness would be pissed—but it was fun to torture him a bit. "All right, Eris, let him off the hook."

A wave of relief washed over the agent's face and he began to relax back into the embrace of the Kindred sitting behind him. "Just as long as we're clear about one thing," Ex purred into his ear. He felt the cold slither of her tongue against the curve of his ear as it sent a shiver up one side of his spine and then back down the other until it settled completely in his groin. "Tonight you will obey me in all things. No questions. I'll protect you, but in exchange, you are mine to do with as I see fit. Are we clear?" The soothing caress of her words invaded his senses; he felt his resolve weaken only a hair before he heard the words... "Ah, fuck it. Bite him, Eris."

For a brief moment, the searing hot pain that rushed through his body left him as weak as a new born colt whose legs could not support his own weight. His strength drained as the pleasure flooded his mind and pushed his body farther into the touch of the mouth covering the delicate skin on his chest. The instant the chill of her mouth was gone, the overwhelming loss of sensation reduced any remaining coherent thought down to simple pleadings and whimpers.

Eris drew away, still savoring the taste of his life on her lips, and smiled. She watched him eye her as her tongue licked the long fang that had just pierced his body removing all traces of the blood left behind. She trailed one slender, dainty finger across his cheek and down the plane of his neck, feeling the pulse of his veins beneath the surface. "You want more, don't you, mortal?" Her voice had become seduction, and Mulder followed its lead.

"Please... " The one and only word his mind could still fully comprehend was followed by the sound of Exstacy in his ear once more...

"I don't need to be able to read your mind to know that you've wanted to play these kinds of games for a long time, Fox. Your body gives you away." The feeling of a chilled hand kneading the rope of muscle on the inside of his thigh and inching its way up to where his life's blood was pooled was enough to break his last remaining vestiges of self control. His back bowed in an attempt to find the friction his cock craved. JUST TOUCH ME! his body demanded, but demands are not to be made when you are the one owned. The next thing he knew, Fox Mulder was on the ground at his new master's feet, and the sudden lost of contact with the wintry body left him inexplicably colder.

"That feeling traveling through every part of your body and then settling right in your dick has nothing whatsoever to do with what we are... it's your own desires that are driving you now. But soon you'll see what it is to be ... dinner."

She led him by the leash through the door of the club and passed the on lookers that gathered there. It was always an event to watch Exstacy make her entrance and claim her club, but when she had a new pet in tow; suddenly the event took on epic proportions. All eyes turned to follow as they paraded in. Eris, trailing behind long enough only to pick up a toy for herself, found her way back to her Primogen.

The club itself could be described in a single word—dark—and in its darkness was its beauty. Rich wood tones were all around, covering the walls, the floors, and especially the large half-moon bar that was set on a platform against the back wall in the first of two large open areas on the first floor. The second was unique to say the least...

Plush velvet couches, upholstered in deep shades of blues and burgundy, surrounded what might be called a dance floor by some, but what the regulars of the club knew as the performance arena. Intermingled with the sofas were high backed chairs, reminiscent of thrones belonging to the king's of yore, that were ensconced on both sides with wide, draping cascades of silk, giving each a touch of privacy from which to enjoy the nightly show of flesh revealed.

And revealed the flesh was. In this encapsulated oasis, clothing wasn't optional, it was outlawed. Throngs of people, mortal and immortal alike gathered together in smaller circles to enjoy some of the pleasures of this world. Hot skin on cold, no one here was left untouched for long. There was booze, there were drugs—but the pleasure of choice in this place was sex in all its assorted forms.

Wide eyed with the spectacle before him, Mulder gazed on as the bodies writhing against each other stilled just long enough to watch while Exstacy took her seat in the largest of the chairs which was positioned at the center of the make shift circle.

She moved in such a way that her chair seemed all at once decorated by her body. Laid out in all her erotic splendor, it seemed only fitting for Mulder simply to take his place at the foot of her throne, and wait for his mistress's bidding. As if on cue, her stable appeared and surrounded them bringing refreshment in their hands and lust seeping from every pore of their bodies.

Meanwhile from the shadows, a brooding figure carefully watched... and waited. He was due for his meeting, but there was always time to enjoy a Fox being tamed. He smiled caustically as Mulder skirted a little closer and cuddled up to Ecstasy's leg, as if seeking the security of his blanket. Ah, what fools these mortals be...

When satisfied that all seemed well, he slipped from the club unnoticed, and went to see about saving the world once again.

xx

After stopping at the house for Morgan to become more suitably attired, they were on their way.

She looked over at the man seated silently to her left. Dressed in basic black, he looked as if he belonged in a different time and place all together. The suit coat he was wearing was long and hung down almost to his knees in a gently tapered curve from front to back. The white shirt beneath it was full, but not enoungh to be ostentatious, and was buttoned to the neck where there was seated a discrete onyx pin tie. He gazed out the window at the moving picture show of people, and looked for all the world like a man trapped between his needs.

Finally he turned to his guest and spoke. "I thought you might enjoy seeing the best each of our clans has to offer. Perhaps then you can gain the understanding you'll need to deal with our society."

Nodding her head in acceptance, she couldn't keep her hands away from the treasure around her neck. "Do you like it?" he asked with a guileless smile.

"It may be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. But somehow, I get the feeling that there is more to this bauble than you're telling me." Her face was open—her question true. She wasn't digging for anything... just trying to find a way to know this man who had taken her life and welfare to his heart.

"Let's just say that if there is one thing my years have taught me, it's that things are rarely what they appear to be on the surface." Deliberately changing the subject, "Tell me, my dear, what would you like to see first?"

"That's like asking what I want for dinner without showing me the menu, isn't it? I wouldn't know where to begin, so little of the clans have been explained to us." But then a thought hit her, "I guess the place to start would be your own clan."

"I assume you thought that was subtle, Miss Scully, but all the same, it does seem a logical place to start." Centuries come and go, but somehow the mind of a woman remains the same. "I am of the clan Gangrle, as is Sebastian. And though we are both followers of Dada, our faith is not shared by everyone in our clan."

"The Baroness mentioned that there are differences between the clans that make them unique... " she said encouraging him to explain further.

"I think it will be simpler to explain the Gangrle when we arrive at our first stop." He faced forward once again, and met the eyes watching them in the rearview mirror. "Edge, let's go visit the pack."

They traveled up the road that winded its way around the mountain till they reached it's peak and pulled up to the large imposing gates that acted as a porthole through the tall stone wall. When Edge got out and came around to open her door, she looked to Morgan in surprise. Nodding at the iron sign embedded into the wall that read Bear Mountain State Park Zoo, "What are we doing here?" she asked trying to hide the twinge of fear she harbored in the back of her mind.

"There is absolutely no need to mask your misgivings... they serve you well," Morgan replied with only the insinuation of a smile, and extending his hand to her, palm down, he led her toward the gateway.

"I haven't any idea what you're talking about," she began with a slight air of annoyance. Her face was impassive and her tone flat, "I'm not afraid of you.

"Pity... I gave you more credit than you deserved," he mocked openly, but then turned deadly serious. "You've come to the top of a mountain, late at night, with two beings higher up the food chain then you are... not another soul to be found for miles and no one to hear your cries... you should be afraid, Miss Scully."

"But, Father Morgan, you forget... I have your word on my safety," she returned the ridicule with a light-hearted tone that held no scorn or derision. "You've protected me without regard to your own safety in the past... why should I think you wouldn't protect me now."

She had to some degree assessed her position accurately—but more importantly, she had assessed him. He wouldn't allow her to come to harm and had made that unmistakably clear. But she was still a target and had to learn to think like one. "Though your appraisal is more or less correct, you've still made one fatal error. Even the most tame of animals can become deadly if presented with the right motivation." For a moment, his eyes glinted of a wicked menace that sent a chill down the back of her neck.

She seemed to shrink into herself when she realized the disguised threat, and she bowed her eyes toward the ground. "Your point is taken," she responded in a thoughtful tone. But her reticence never lasted for very long. Anyone would be hard pressed not to recognize the stubborn spirit of an Irish redhead that this woman seemed to embody. Ice struck sparks against ice as her eyes locked with Morgan's—challenging his very existence. She cocked her head to one side and returned his arrogance back to him tenfold, "But even the most violent of beasts can be put down... if the need arises." And he smiled, suddenly realizing that the target had sprouted teeth.

Edge had already opened the gate, and as they proceeded through, he shut it behind them. "I'll hang out here till you're ready to go, boss," and with a leap made himself comfortable on top of the wall.

"Fine... just be careful," Morgan threw back and then turned again to his companion. He chuckled at the startled expression on her face. "Surely you're not still surprised by the measure of our physical strength?"

"Actually... I think I'm more surprised that it's starting to be almost normal," she countered.

"Come, Miss Scully," he said softly, deliberately letting go of the banter they had begun, "there is someone I want you to meet."

He led her along the path, stopping now and again to gaze at the sleeping residents of various cages and caves. Eventually they arrived at a large rock formation set far back from the path and shielded by a tall fence topped with barbed wire. Scully peered into the darkness, looking for some evidence of life, and gasped softly when she saw a snow white ball of fur begin to move. And from virtually every nook and cranny, little flecks of white began to make their way toward the edge of the fence. "Will you excuse me a moment?" Morgan asked politely.

He stepped away from her, a look of impishness adorning the time earned wrinkles around his eyes. And when he vaulted straight up into the darkness, she nearly snapped her neck trying to follow him disappearing against the night sky. The silence was deafening until broken by the sound of soft pads and claws scratching on rock. Her eyes shot back, peering inside the fence, she came nose to nose with an immense, white, Siberian wolf.

After the little yelp of surprise, she looked more carefully at the beautiful creature that seemed to be observing her just as intently. He cocked his head to one side and let out an inquisitive bark, and the realization that she was once more looking into the icy-heat of Morgan's eyes began to sink in. At the recognition appearing across the dainty woman's features, the stunning beast's eyes began to glow with the same feral hue of red she had seen in her champion before in another time and place. But this time there was no reason to balk at the sight.

He turned with a bark and a wag of his tail and walked directly into the pack of similar animals.

She watched as the pack carefully began to gather around its newest member—inching closer and becoming reacquainted with his scent. When it seemed that they had extended their welcome, the enormous creature came back to the edge of the fence, and led her around to a gate.

Her eyes began playing tricks on her, or so she thought, as the beast began to change once more back into the man inside. He opened the gate for her and made a sweeping gesture, bowing slightly from the waist, offering her entry.

Scully stepped in cautiously; uncertain of what to make of the exhibition of power she had just witnessed. But choosing to put it aside rather than ruin a moment she knew she would only have once in her lifetime, she smiled at him teasingly, "We're gonna talk about that stunt later," the challenge in her voice giving portent of the conversation to come.

"Looking forward to it, I assure you," he replied, stepping aside to allow her passage.

They approached the pack slowly, and when he motioned for her to take a seat on one the rocks, she didn't question. He sat beside her as the animals converged on them creating a breathtaking sea of white.

Mysteriously, the pack began to separate, allowing a solitary creature to come forward... in its teeth, gripped by the nap of the neck, was one of the smallest of the most recent litter. Laying the cub down in Scully's lap, the mother stepped back just an inch, remaining well within a protective distance.

"You're being offered the gift of trust... your actions will show if it is deserved." He seemed to drift as if his thoughts led him to some distant place, "That's one of the pleasures of being among the beasts of the world—you're forced to remove the facade of civility society demands, and simply be whatever it is you are."

Scully began to stroke the cub, scratching its belly and watching it kick and giggle in glee. She turned to Morgan, the glistening of unshed tears in her eyes, and reached out to him—not with her hand, but with everything that she was. The moment would have been perfect—if her touch could have found him.

xx

It was an alley. Dark, dirty, Sometimes it seems I'll never get to come in from the cold , and smelling of things he had just as soon not be able to identify—like a thousand alleys he'd been in before. Krycek leaned against the wall waiting for the arrival of this city's information collectors. It's amazing how little time means when you have eternity to kill he thought to himself as he noted how late they were. But he didn't have an eternity to save the lives of the kine that had no idea just how valuable they were to the human race—and the race that fed on them—and time was becoming a valuable commodity.

He was expecting at least the Nosferatu to just appear from the shadows, but when the two of them began walking down the center of the alley—together—something jumped in his gut. He waited till the moment they were almost upon him which, by some coincidence, was one moment too late. He fought to hold his tongue as each of his arms, and the corresponding half of his body, were smashed mercilessly against the wall by the Kindred on either side of him. One, looking as if he could be the poster child for a young men's militia, beret and all; the other could have been any ordinary man—if it weren't for the bared fangs.

"We don't know you," the Toreador claimed. "We don't like talking to those we don't know. So now you have exactly five seconds to give me one good reason why we shouldn't string you up by your ankles, open your jugular, and drain you like a keg on prom night... "

"Because if you did, you'd have to explain it to your Prince... and I don't think he'd be real pleased to hear that you'd killed a Kindred he welcomed to his city." When he felt the bodies against him begin to relent, he pushed himself forward knocking them both back a step. "Now can we cut the pissing contest crap and get down to business?"

After a moment's consideration, Krycek watched as his attackers began to revert back from their vampiric forms.

"I'm Grendel," the Nosferatu stated in simple explanation. Gesturing to his side, "This is Max, Primogen of the Toreador clan in the city."

Alex looked them both over, noting that not once did their eyes waver from direct contact with his. "Max, huh? Maximillian Von Strieger... "

The smile spread across the Toreador's face, "You mean you've heard of me... I'm flattered."

"... there's a warrant out for your arrest ya know... something about the bombing of a government building," Alex finished. "You should probably make that go away."

"Why would I do that, sweet childe?" the chilling smile matching the veiled threat of his tone. "Don't concern yourself with my affairs, boy... you'd be out of your league." Suddenly he had lost all pretense at civility.

The voice of reason, sounding an awful lot like Grendel, chimed in before the battle of the libidos could digress any further. "I thought you said you wanted to get down to business. What do you want from us?"

"Information... " the request was left hanging until Krycek continued. "You two, according to my sire, can find out anything without anyone knowing it. I need to know who hired the Giovanni to attack the female Morgan is protecting."

"Why should we help you?" Grendel asked.

"I know you know why Morgan brought the mortals here in the first place... but I don't think he told you it was my request that alerted him to the situation. Don't help me because I asked you to, or even because Morgan asked you... think of it as self-preservation."

The Nosferatu considered carefully the explanation laid before him. Krycek had a point. Even if he didn't agree with Morgan's methods, the priority now was keeping the agents safe. With resignation in his eyes, he continued... "What do you think the Giovanni had to do with this? Could be that it was just a play against Morgan—politics are always an issue around here."

"The timing seems awfully convenient... the day after they arrive, she's attacked? Even if it's not connected to whoever wants them dead... I would assume you'd like to know who would so publicly disregard the law of your Prince. The fact of the matter is that the Giovanni don't care unless business dictates they care. They fundamentally had nothing to gain by this. But if they were hired for this... "

Krycek's chain of thought was clear. Any way you looked at it, it was in everyone's best interest to know who backed the attack on Scully.

"So you," Grendel interrupted to complete the thought, "want to know who in Dark City has the means to buy the life of a Giovanni."

"Precisely."

The two Dark City Kindred looked at each other for a long moment. "Give us a chance to do a little digging," Max assured. "We'll see what we can find."

"Thank you," Krycek replied with dubious gratitude. They completed their business with the niceties that go along with an alliance forged out of necessity, and the Brujha went on his way leaving the two to themselves in the alley.

Grendel began thinking out loud, "He's got it figured right, ya know. This bullshit stretches well past our boarders. How long should we wait to tell him what he wants to know?"

The Toreador's expression was flat, "Only as long as it takes to make sure he isn't the one who orchestrated this mess."

xx

Alex walked cautiously back into the club and surveyed the scene quickly. These places always seemed to have the innate ability of making a situation escalate fast—sometimes too fast. And in the short time he had been outside conducting business, this had proven to be the case.

When he left Mulder sitting at Exstasy's feet, he seemed to be a reasonable safe spectator... now he was the main event...

He was shirtless before, but now the tailored wool pants were gone as well, replaced by a swathing of black silk that draped precariously across his hips. His eyes were hidden by a similar fragment of cloth... a good thing, too, because when Alex saw the current state of affairs, his presence became known in a hurry.

He stopped a passing waiter and grabbed a pen and pad of paper from the tray he was carrying. He scribbled furiously then tore the sheet from the pad. "Where's Felix Knight?" he growled.

"The last time I saw him he was at the bar... sulking," the frightened server responded.

He threw the pad and pen back onto the tray, and made his way over to the bar. Felix was easy to spot—black leather biker jacket and boots, dark sunglasses, openly displayed weaponry, and a pout a mile long. He was watching the show, but his eyes weren't on the prey strapped to the table. Instead, his eyes were fixed on the predator who put it there. The voice from behind him brought him back...

"I have a job for you."

"Really? And who the hell are you?" The last word was nearly cut off by the forearm that wrapped itself around his throat. It wasn't the fear of suffocation, but rather the thought of having his head removed from his shoulders that made Felix go perfectly still.

"I would think that a Bruajha under my sire's command would know better than to piss off an unassessed opponent. " Krycek released his victim and spun him around on the barstool. "Like I said, I have a job for you... take this letter to the Seneschal. Give it to no one but her—understand?"

"Yeah... sure... but don't think we're finished here."

Krycek watched Felix go out the door before returning to the night's entertainment.

Who would ever have guessed that after just a couple of hours on a leash, Fox Mulder would end up strapped to a display table and become the palate for a painting in blood. Still there he lay, trying with every ounce of resistance in him to fight against the sensation of the sable-hair brush Ecstasy was drawing over his chest. The scarlet fluid that was slathered on his pale white skin made for a tempting morsel to any bloodsucker that saw him.

"Eat-able art!" she exclaimed to the crowd, and then offered her newly finished masterpiece with a smile to the vamp beside her waiting for a taste. "I should have been a Toreador... " she mused.

Mulder felt the chill an instant before the vamp descended on his sensitized and heated skin. He struggled to remain perfectly still, but every once in a while, when he would feel the drag of a sharpened canine, a fright-filled gasp of satisfaction would escape.

Alex moved toward the performance arena, the fodder of the night parting as he approached, until he was standing nearly at the foot of the table. He watched as Mulder's tension-strained muscles stretched nearly to their breaking point... the magnificence of the body in torment kept his eyes locked on the sacrifice being offered to the gods of pleasure. Just one look and it could not be denied that, despite the fight his mind forced him to put up, Mulder's body wanted craved? the ministrations of the hungry Kindred that surrounded him.

The eager vampire's tongue followed the last trail of vitae that ended just shy of the newly pierced nipple, where she planted a tender kiss. She suckled at the ring and tugged on the tag that hung from it and finally, when she pulled away, a moan could be heard from the bound mortal. "Merci, mon petit," she whispered into his ear. "That was one of the tastiest treats I've had in some time." She turned back to Exstacy and bestowed a small kiss of gratitude on her cheek. "Thank you, lovely. Fear and lust always add such a nice flavour... " she noted the delicately outlined form of Fox's erection... "and I do so like your choice of garnish." An affectionate little squeeze of the bulge as she continued her conversation, "You couldn't perhaps be coaxed into parting with such a pretty toy?"

Without allowing Exstasy a chance to answer, Krycek insinuated himself between them. He raised a finger to his lips instructing them to remain quiet, and then shook it from side to side. Even if the gesture left something ambiguous in its answer, the feral gleam in his eyes was answer enough to the silly vampire's question. So, with a simple smile, and no fuss, she bowed her head and backed away.

Alex stared down at the prone form of Fox Mulder, who had become quite nervous at not hearing a response to the earlier negotiation. He began to stroke the glistening torso, massaging each muscle, charming the body at his fingertips into a tenuous calm. A look of concentration contorted his angelic features to one of gluttonous rapture as he willed the blood in his body to rise to the surface, flushing his cheeks red and raising the temperature of his body till the heat could be felt coming off of him in waves.

He smiled at the thought If he had any idea whose hand just ran its way up his thigh... . He turned a decadent smile on Exstacy and lifted his hand so she could see the single claw spring from his finger.

Mulder felt the sharpness touch the dip between his collarbones and begin its slide down from neck to navel. It wasn't so much pain as pleasure to feel the warm fluid begin to come to surface and trickle down his ribs, but when a searing tongue touched the base of the incision, his shriek silenced the crowd that watched. He pulled at his bonds wanting to touch whatever it was that brought his body so easily to the edge of orgasm, his back arching as far as the restraints would allow.

He could feel the sting of the heat as the talented tongue wormed its way along the length of the open wound, sealing it with its touch and licking away all traces of the life force spilling from it. And when it was done, the aching in his cock was pure bliss.

Alex straightened back up and looked at Exstasy with a self-satisfied grin. I always wondered what he tasted like. Pulling her slightly to the side, he whispered in her ear. "Set him up as a display against the wall, and let him rest. He'll be going home soon."

xx

Without exception, every one of Angelique Gabrielle's charity fundraisers was a gala event to which it was an honor to be invited. Up and down the street the limousines waited for their turn to pull up to the front entrance of The Plaza hotel. Power brokers, political figures, and celebrities... the country's financial and social elite all congregated to show the world their politically correct global consciousness. And the children of the world would be the ones to benefit from their inflated egos.

She had arrived in plenty of time to be sure all the details were tended to. Were the place cards in the proper order? Were the fresh cut flowers that filled the room in flawless arrangement? Did each piece of Baccarat crystal shine? Such were the minutiae that were not left to chance to ensure a perfect evening... and she reviewed each one herself. The local police and FBI agents in attendance, as far as the mortals present were concerned, took care of security measures. The fact that each one of the members of law enforcement was under the direct control of her clansman was something they need not know.

One by one her guests made their grand entrances, each greeted personally in turn by their hostess. She greeted them all by name; she remembered each one in detail. "Eleanor, you look lovely. How's that beautiful daughter of yours doing in college? Such a pity she couldn't join us this evening." "Charles, I'm so glad you could make it. Has that golf swing improved any?"
"Lord Conrad! Welcome! There's a platter of those chocolates you loved at last year's Memorial Day barbecue on the table over there... ." the secretive whisper, "but don't worry, I hid a plate of them for you in the kitchen." Such was the meaningless banter all designed to make each one feel like the guest of honor.

Each hand shake was a publicists dream... a picture in any tabloid of their client shaking hands with one the world's best know humanitarians was enough to skyrocket their client's TVQ, and no publicist worth his salt would pass up an opportunity like that.

Once the party was in full swing, she could fade into the crowd until it was time to convince her guests once again that they could be even more generous than they had intended. But that time would not come until a lot more bottles of champagne had been emptied So there she stood, smiling for the camera and waiting for the parade of beautiful people making beautiful faces to end, when the maitre 'd, cell phone in hand, came to whisper in her ear. "Mr. Crane for you, madam."

"Thank you. Please see to it that the paparazzi outside are provided with some sort of refreshment—they're more agreeable when they have been fed." She took the phone and moved off into a semi-private corner. "Yes, Krane."

"Just wanted to let you know Morgan was on his way in... and he's bringing a guest." The thin edge of humor in his voice made her smile. Well this is a surprise. Maybe this won't be such a dull night after all.

"Thanks for the warning. Please let me know when his car enters the garage."

She wondered the room quietly until she felt a slight tug on her elbow and smooth, velvet voice followed. "A delightful event as usual, Baroness. But, then again, I've come to expect nothing less."

"Good evening, Cole," she responded affably. His tall, slender frame, was casual in his stance, but still held the distinct air of the socially privileged. Rich beyond the average man's wildest dreams, attractive to the eye, and charming to a fault, he would have been at the top of Cosmo's Most Eligible Bachelors list—if he had been mortal.

To anyone watching, they were simply two people, completely comfortable with the extent of their financial resources, who had nothing better to do than trifle with the air of sex. "I'm happy to hear everything meets your demanding standards. And in what capacity do I have the honor of addressing you this evening?"

"Don't think of me as the Ventrue elder, my dear... think of me as—your date." The startled expression of amusement he was answered with prompted him to continue. "It came to my attention that you would be without a formal escort this evening... the Prince being otherwise occupied... it would be my pleasure to offer my services." The look on his face reminded her of a cat she used to have who would wait on her bedstand to see her face when she found the dead rat under the sheets. .

It had always been Morgan's custom to accompany his Seneschal to these events if for no other reason then to ensure her safety. Fame had painted a rather large target on her, and he refused to see her sacrificed in the service of anyone or anything other than himself. This night however, he had entrusted her keeping to his Scourge—Crane ...but he's just got to check up on me. You'd think I lived in fear for the centuries before I met him.

"Well, thank you for your concern, and I am grateful for the offer, but I think I can handle this austere congregation. I could, however, introduce you about, though I'm sure you know a few of the faces here."

"That would be lovely," and he extended his arm. "Shall we."

They toured the room speaking to this one and that, until a note on a silver tray was presented to her. "Excuse me a moment," as she turned her back on the conversation and headed toward the rear entrance to the ballroom. Out the door and down the stairs to garage entrance where the Doosenburg was just parking.

"I'm so pleased you could come!" the Baroness bubbled as she met them at the door of the car. Taking Scully into an affectionate embrace, she looked over her shoulder into the somber eyes of the Prince.

She could see him open himself to her and, in an instant, read his concerns, Why didn't you tell me this before? but put aside that conversation for another time. "Come inside," the Baroness continued, ushering Scully towards the door. "At least now I know I'll have someone worth talking to."

Dropping into step with Morgan a length behind the ladies, Crane began tugging at his collar. "I hate wearing this monkey suit. Sometimes I think you make me do this stuff just to watch me squirm."

"Think of it as armor in a different kind of battle," came Morgan's reply accompanied by a devilish smirk. "Make sure all the Kindred present know that I am here and have declared Elysium. I don't want any spectacles tonight."

"Consider it done."

They entered the party with a minimum of notice, and soon, Scully found herself surrounded by the rich and famous. She scanned passed the faces that graced the silver screen and album covers, then came to a dead stop. "That's a Supreme Court justice," she gasped in astonishment.

"Why, yes it is," chuckled her hostess. "I would introduce you, but he really is an arrogant bastard."

A member of the Presidential cabinet, Britain's ambassador to the United Nations, and then... "Oh my God," under her breath as she saw him.

Morgan stepped to her side, "What is it, Miss Scully?"

"There, at the table near the statue in the center of the room... that's Senator Matheson." She looked closely, watching him talk to the tall, slender man on his left, "Is he... ?"

"No, he is not one of us, but the one he is speaking to is very old and very powerful," the Baroness explained. "He's just looking for some positive public exposure... it is an election year after all."

Scully turned sharply to face the three vampires. It was amazing how, even in the trappings of civilized society, she could see so clearly the savagery of the Beast within them. "He may recognize me. We've never met, but I'm certain he has reviewed my personnel file."

Crane stepped closer, "Why would he be interested in you?"

"Because he has been one of Mulder's benefactors since before I was assigned to the X-files. Senator Matheson has protected our work on several occasions... even pointed us in the right direction when he could. It seems logical that when I was assigned to work with Mulder, he would have researched my background."

"It's alright," Morgan assured in an even tone. "It's a very large party, so it's likely that he won't even notice you since he doesn't know you're here. We'll avoid him, but just in case, before he leaves tonight, we will eliminate any trace of you from his memories of this evening." A glance to Crane—a nod of agreement—and the matter was settled.

"Come, Miss Scully, the night is young," the Baroness offered, trying to lighten her guests fears. "Why don't you and Morgan go mingle—have a little fun." The stare of sarcasm from her Prince's eyes spoke volumes more than his words would have. "Oh, Morgan," she countered in uncharacteristic familiarity, "you can at least take her in to get something to eat... the poor thing must be starving."

He laughed with the kind of humor he rarely allowed to exist. The glib, "Yes, madam," was followed by a decidedly mocking, deep bow from the waist, and off they went.

Angelique the Prince and his guest merged into the crowd, then she noticed Crane pressing at his ear piece and listening intently. "I'll let her know," he said into the microphone in his sleeve.

"What now?" she asked with an inevitable sigh.

"It seems Felix Knight is at the front desk of the hotel and he says he has a message for you."

"I have a feeling I know what this is about. Would you ask Mike to bring the car around to the front entrance? I'll be back as quickly as I can."

xx

No one seemed to notice when the limousine pulled up to the door of the club, that is till the lady in black velvet got out and walked inside. Walking directly to the rear of the room, the Baroness could barely stifle the chortle at seeing Mulder displayed against the wall like a piece of performance art. When she spotted Exstasy in the midst of her stable, she composed herself and donned her most matronly demeanor before clearing the herd with... "Ehem."

Exstasy straightened up in her chair, a look of penitence spreading quickly across her face. "Oh, hi, Angelique. What brings you by?"

"I got a message saying that our guest, you know the one mounted on your wall, was in a, and I quote, compromising position... I would say that's a slight understatement. I thought I told you to behave?" the wagging of her finger, though not seen, could be heard in every word out of her mouth.

"It wasn't my fault, I swear," the scolded vampire defended. "You told me to ask him if he wanted to be played with—weellll... ," a shrug of her shoulders and the smile of a teenager made the picture complete. "Turns out, he did."

"So you tagged him?" the Baroness threw back, flicking the sign of ownership with a perfectly manicured finger

Angelique hung her head in defeat with a smile. There really was no arguing with the power of puberty—especially in its eternal form. "We are going to discuss this tomorrow, Ex. Bet on it." She turned to the flunkies on the floor, "Turn him loose."

He sagged heavily as they lowered him from his perch, but when they set him down he could still stand on his own. "You didn't give him anything, did you?" the Baroness asked sharply.

"NO WAY!" came the denial. "Come on, I'm not that stupid! He's just tired—that and our friend," Exstasy threw her head in the direction of the bar, "made a suggestion that he rest."

The Baroness looked over and saw him sitting on one barstool with his feet propped up on another. "Mike, could you take him out to the car. I just need to talk to someone."

"No problem," he replied and went to take hold of Mulder. When walking proved a slow process he turned back to the Seneschal, "It would be easier if I just carried him," his tone waiting for the go-ahead.

"Sure," she said with a smile. "Thanks, Mike."

She watched as Mulder was hoisted up like a rag doll over Mike's shoulder and then carried out the door. When they were gone she turned her attention to the smug night crawler at the bar. "I'm sorry if things got a bit out of hand this evening. Exstasy was just trying to show him a good time."

"hmph... it worked. Where are you gonna take him?"

"I have to return to The Plaza, so I can't take him back to the house... back to the apartment where you're staying, I suppose. Unless that's an issue?"

"No... I think that's a good idea. It's time he knew I was here." The wistful tone in his voice caught her off guard.

"Alex, is there something about this mortal you need to tell me?" She was tender and open and caring—everything a creature of the night wasn't supposed to be.

He let his feet drop off the stool and turned his back on her to lean on the bar. She saw the irreverent facade he carried fade just for an instant, and then the strength of his offensive hit her full force as he spun back and faced her squarely. "Before I was Embraced, I worked for the FBI, and he and I were partners. Let's just say it ended badly."

"I know there is more to it than that, but I also know this is not the place to discuss it. I'll send a car for you tomorrow at7pm. You and I need to have a very long talk." She waited for him to object, but instead she saw a nod of agreement. "Good. I'll get Agent Mulder settled before you get home." And then she left him to his thoughts.

Before heading to the car she stopped to say good night to Exstasy. "Do me a favor, Ex? Make sure anyone he feeds on before he leaves here is clean—I want his head clear when he leaves tonight."


"No worries, Baroness. I picked up a new tasty treat the other day... I'm always happy to share," Exstacy replied with her flippant trademark smile.

xx

The executive class limousine pulled up slowly to the brightly-lit glass atrium that served as a private entrance to this upscale high rise. The driver came around the car to open the door and extended a hand to the woman in the back seat. When the Baroness was safely out of the way, he reached back in to heft the limp form of Fox Mulder out of the car. "Thanks, Mike. Please wait in the car... I'll only be a few minutes."

For the kind of money the staff of this facility was paid, silence was unquestionably part of the job description, so when the seemingly sedated man was led to the waiting elevator by a leash, not one word was said.

When the doors had slid securely shut behind them, she inserted a special card key that would allow the elevator to travel to the penthouse floor, then turned to Mulder and smiled. "I think we can do without this now," she said letting the leather strap fall to the front of his body.

"Would they have hurt me?" he asked cautiously.

"Perhaps... but that's not to say you wouldn't have enjoyed it." The sly look on her face made him uncomfortable... made him feel as if she knew the dark secrets he guarded with his life. "From what Exstacy tells me, you didn't really put up much of a fight. But nevertheless, she should have known better... you should have, too." She chuckled, shaking her head with the humor of it all, and exited as the doors of the car opened to an expensive, open room surrounded by windows.

The lights of the city were bright enough to light up the room without help, but the candles seated in the free-standing candelabras around the room did add a comforting, warm glow as they were lit one by one by the servant who had entered the room quietly. She was frail, but by no means fragile; she looked to be about 25 years old, but somehow held the air of someone who had seen more than her years. She was pretty, but it was the serenity of her face that made her beautiful. When the candles were all burning, she opened the doors that led out to the balcony, allowing the mild breeze of an Indian summer night to pervade the room, then waited for instructions.

"I have no idea what came over me... it felt like... that is not the way I behave!" he declared to the composed figure who had made herself comfortable on the plush leather sofa.

"Have a seat, Fox... I think it is time you understood something." And as he sat, she rose and approached her servant standing in the center of the room. Even as the edge of her full, velvet skirt brushed by him, his own body began to betray him once again. "You see Elizabeth here; does she look even remotely afraid of me? Or does she somehow seem glad that I've returned?"

Mulder observed the dainty figure as the Baroness trailed the tips of her fingers across the short expanse of her chest and circled around to stand behind her. The slight tremble, the quick stabs of her pink tongue coming out to wet suddenly parched lips... the signs were unmistakable. And if there had been any doubts remaining, they were eliminated by the sound of hunger coming from the still form when the Baroness placed a small kiss on her neck.

"Is it starting to make sense yet, Fox?" she asked, but her attention was still focused on Elizabeth. "This sweet girl is a willing participant in this game of survival all Kindred must play. Some chose to feed on the helpless, some chose to feed and kill—I will only feed on those who are willing. And I dare say, they are well compensated for their gift to me." Without another word, she wrapped her arms around the supplicant's waist and allowed the woman to lean her head back on her shoulder till the vulnerable neck was given up as an offering.

Angelique looked up to meet the gaze of the man on the couch. As enraptured as the servant in her arms, he couldn't have looked away if he tried. "What do you see, Fox? Is it sexual? Or maybe it's more than that... "

He couldn't answer. He couldn't take his eyes off the woman... her breath shallow, head cast back wantonly as if waiting for some long sought after reward.

Slowly, the Baroness lowered her head till her mouth came to rest against the fiery skin hiding the vitae that sustained her. She looked up at him from under the cover of her lashes; the blazing glow of her eyes the only warning before the strike.

When her fangs appeared and pierced the quivering throat, it was the scream of pleasure that knocked him to his knees. And there he stayed—completely focused on the supple young body arching back into the touch of her master's mouth. It was erotic and exciting and repulsive. It was everything he'd ever wanted to feel and everything he was afraid of.

She pulled away; her cheeks flushed red with the new life coursing through her body. The only remaining evidence of the encounter was the expression of spent bliss on the servant's face and a single drop of her blood resting on the corner of the Baroness's mouth.

She laid the girl down on the floor gently and took the few steps that brought her before the man kneeling submissively on the ground. Crouching down to his eye level, she moved in close enough for him to feel the heat coming off of her lips and offered him the remaining drop of vitae. When his tongue flickered out and glided along the line of her bottom lip, she could feel the tremors of his body through that single point of contact. And when he reached the thick scarlet drop, he forgot that, even though she didn't need to breathe, he did.

"You feel it, don't you, Fox. You feel that pull in the bottom of your stomach? I didn't put that there." Her eyes sparkled with a knowing gleam. "You may not behave that way, but right now, you'd like to," and with a kiss she left him.

She returned to Elizabeth and lifted her like a sleeping child before she looked back to the confused man still on the floor. "In the bedroom down the hall you'll find some clothes that should fit you. Why don't you go put something on, then we can see about helping you understand this a bit better," and then disappeared down the opposite hall to put her breathing life force to bed.

He waited until he was sure his legs would carry his weight and then walked to the end of the hall. Opening the door slowly, he looked around the elegantly furnished room. It was obvious that someone was staying here, but just who was yet be discovered.

He walked over to the large oak wardrobe in the corner of the room and opened the doors—a section of drawers to the left, to the right clothes hanging neatly. He flipped through the hangers one at a time until he came across a patch of soft leather and pulled out the jacket. Old, worn, and comfortable... it was someone's favorite jacket, that much was certain. It even looked familiar.

He thought he was alone in this room—that is until he heard the low, whisper soft timber in his ear. "Bet it would look great on you."

Mulder wanted to turn, started to if fact, but when he felt the solid wall of chest behind him, he froze "I don't care what episode of the Twilight Zone I've been living in, you can't be here."

"Come on, Mulder. You of all people should know that anything can happen in the Twilight Zone." Alex reached around Mulder's statue still body and took the jacket from his hands. He brought it back between them and began to ease the confused man's arms into the sleeves.

"What are you doing, Krycek?" he knew trying to sound intimidating at this point really just made him sound ridiculous, but he had to try. He knew he failed when he heard Krycek smile.

"I'm trying to prevent the onset of shock. What were you doing in my closet?" not moving from his deliciously close proximity to Mulder's bare, not to mention well defined, back.

"Angelique sent me in here to... your closet?" Mulder stammered in reply. "Who... how do you... I don't even know how to begin to ask these questions," he conceded with frustration. He felt the chill of Alex's body leave him, and finally bolstered the nerve to turn around.

And there he was... the arrogant cocky bastard. The insolent grin, the pretentious air of his stance... the stone cold glare of his eyes... Mulder took it all in and felt the rage begin to rise inside him. "I could kill you now."

"I'll take that bet. Don't you think you should start asking a few questions... get your facts straight before you start shooting off your mouth."

"You son of a bitch... " If asked, he would never be able to tell you what made him lunge forward in attack, but when he felt Alex's hand wrap around his neck and lift him off the ground, he began to wonder himself.

With a few effortless steps, Alex had his chosen ward pinned to the wall, feet still dangling off the ground, when he heard her voice from the doorway.

"I see Exstacy isn't the only one who needs to learn how to play nicely with others. Perhaps you should put him down now, Alex." The Baroness was cautious, but nevertheless amused. It seemed that nether death or age could do anything to quell the male need to compete.

Mulder's body slid down the wall till his feet rested back on solid ground. And when Alex took his hand away and stepped back, he nearly followed... but not with the same intent he'd had before.

Angelique watched, as the two of them stared at each other... neither one willing to yield to the other by looking away. "Fox?" she called to him, but still his eyes never wavered. "Remember that pull in your stomach you felt before... I know you're feeling it again I want to help you understand it."

She knew he heard every word, but his focus now was on the green-eyed night crawler less than five feet away. "We are a seductive breed... " and suddenly she realized it was no longer a battle of wills, it was a fight for dominance - and Mulder was losing. She reached out with her mind to Krycek...

"Alex, don't."
"Why not?"
"Because this way, you won't make an ally, you'll make a slave."

She waited till the strength of his posture began to soften and he sat down heavily on the bed. Suspicious to the bitter end, Mulder dug in his heels and waited in vain for the other shoe to drop. He waited, but when it became evident that no information would be forth coming, he turned back to the window in the corner and stared out into the night.

"What is he doing here?" he asked with an air of acceptance. Why can't I get away from this guy...

He felt the glide of her hand across his back and then the scrape of her nails across the nape of his neck. He twisted under her touch, wanting more but fighting it every step of the way.

Reassurance seemed to take on a tangible form in her voice. "It's because of Alex that you're here and you're safe. I think he should tell you the rest; I have a party I need to return to, but you can have Elizabeth call me if need be." She turned on her heels and strode toward the door. As an after thought, "Agent Mulder, would you like me to send the car back for you?"

He leaned against the windowpane, letting it support him, the exertion of the night taking its toll and showing across every inch of his face. "No," he responded as he turned to look into the pliant, hopeful face of Alex Krycek. "I think I'd better stay here tonight."

Maybe they will learn to play nicely with each other she mused. "Very well... I'll have Miss Scully informed."

"NO!" the two voices sounded in unison. It could have been the smirk on her face, but it was probably the eyebrow shooting up that begged the question demanding an answer.

Looking back to Alex, Mulder gave quiet voice to his thoughts, "I think I'd better get the facts straight before I start shooting off my mouth." Then looking down at his state of undress, he added, "And maybe put on a pair of pants."

xx

Niffusa1@aol.com
Survival Of the Species part IV

Classification: XF/Kindred x-over; this is a WIP and the next chapter is already in the works; you will need to read the first two parts to understand what's going on here. Parts I and II can be found at https://www.squidge.org/terma/niff/niff.htm
Rating: finally worthy of an NC-17 (is that angels I hear singing?)
Author's Notes: Okay... I know this took forever, and to those who are still interested—thank you for being patient. Sue, Nic, Frankie... thank you for all your help and encouragement. This wouldn't have gotten finished at all if it wasn't for you. Aries, I promised you blood—you got blood <g>.
The vampire characters in this story come from a live action role play game. If you have any interest in knowing more about the game go to http://www.tiac.net/users/crucifix/index1.htm
Disclaimer: The characters you recognize belong to CC, 1013 Productions, and Fox. I have no claim to them and am making no money from this (damn).
All other characters belong to the people from Dark City who created them and have been used with their permission. Thanks guys! I hope I did you justice.

Feedback: Niffusa1@aol.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]