Fox
by Mona Ramsey


"Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm wonderful. I throw up all the time." Beth Locke was sitting on the edge of the bathtub in her brother's bathroom. My brother. I'm never going to get used to that.

Fox Mulder peeked around the corner. She looked pale, and slightly embarrassed. "Sorry, I just didn't think it was that bad."

She stared at him. "You've got to be kidding me! It was awful. She called me Samantha all afternoon!" She rubbed a wet towel over her face. Alex Krycek came in, stepping around his lover. He took Beth's hand, an arm around her waist to steady her, and led her out to the living room. A pot of tea was on the coffee table. Mulder followed them slowly.

"And you know that she doesn't believe that it's me!" Her shoulders slumped. "I'm not even mad at her. I'm just mad in general."

They had visited Sarah Mulder that afternoon, the first chance that she had to see her long-lost daughter. It had not gone well. Despite the fact that she called Beth by her daughter's name, it was obvious to all that she didn't really believe that it was her. She had told her son as much when they were alone in the kitchen.

Everything after that was polite, but strained. Beth had stayed as long as she could stand, then excused herself. Her brother came out to find her in the car, shaking. She wanted him to drive her back to her hotel, but he insisted on bringing her home with him. He was glad that he did. She had barely made it in to the apartment before she rushed to the bathroom.

Alex was rubbing her shoulders sympathetically. "I'm glad you didn't say 'I told you so'," she said to him.

Mulder envied the connection that his lover and sister had managed to forge. They had spent a lot of time together when she first arrived, and had continued to be close. Alex had just started his new job this past week, and they had lunch together two or three times a week.

"'I told you so'?" Mulder asked.

"I warned her that it might be difficult with your mother," Alex explained. If anyone, he should know. Sarah Mulder had not accepted her son's lover with open arms. She refused to see him if at all possible.

Mulder sighed. "We've just got to give her some time. She'll come around when she sees the evidence—"

Beth snorted. "Yeah, that worked really well with the Simpson jury, didn't it?" She managed a smile. "We really are all related, aren't we? We're all pig-headed, stubborn, and single-minded. Talk about a case for genetics."

Alex laughed. "Why do you think we get along so well? I've had months of practice."

"You should stay here tonight."

"I don't want to impose. You don't need to babysit me."

"Don't be silly," Alex said. "That's a great idea. We actually have room now, so stay. We'll get something greasy for dinner."

"How could I refuse an invitation like that?"

xx

The apartment that Alex and Mulder had moved into was a big improvement on Mulder's old place. They had discussed moving into Alex's place, but it held too many bad memories for him, so they decided to get a fresh start. It had taken them over a month to find something they both liked.

They had three bedrooms, high ceilings, a fair-sized kitchen (although neither of them cooked much), and a huge living room. They splurged on new beds, a big-screen tv, and some tasteful framed posters for the walls. It was bigger and brighter than Mulder's old place, but masculine and comfortable. And, most of the fish had survived the move.

Alex offered to go out to get italian and a couple of movies. He also wanted to give them a little time together.

Beth was staring at Mulder.

"What?"

"Alex told me that I look like you. I'm trying to figure it out."

"Don't you need a mirror for that?"

She smiled. "It would probably help. Do you think any of us really have any idea what we look like?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, in my mind I'm at least ten pounds lighter, two inches taller, and five years younger than I really am."

He shook his head at her. "I've never considered that."

"Must be a girl thing."

"Well, personally, I think you're a lot prettier than I am."

"I don't know. Alex thinks you're pretty."

He looked at her. "He said that?"

She backpedaled. "Maybe not those exact words—"

"I'm going to kill him."

"Uh-oh." She sidled over to him. "Please don't tell him I told you. I need all the allies I can get."

He took her hand. "You've got me, you know," he said, soberly.

She looked at him. "I know," she replied quietly. "I'm sorry I was such a bitch before. I get mean and sarcastic when I'm upset. I tend to open my mouth too much."

"I think it's a good thing. I have a problem with not opening it enough, or at least when I should."

She gave him a look, then shook her head.

"What?" he asked.

"Don't you wonder how we would have turned out if Samantha hadn't disappeared?"

"All the time."

She sighed. "And we'll never know what happened, or why."

"I don't know." She looked curiously at him. "I'm still looking for some answers." He shrugged. Beth looked a little disturbed. "What?"

"Just thinking about something Dana told me."

"Which was?"

"She thought that you wanted answers about Samantha more than you wanted her."

He looked a little stunned. "She said that?"

She nodded. "She tried not to, but it came out. That's pretty much what I thought, too."

"It's not true. Well, not entirely true." He tried to find the words. "I wanted to know what happened, and I may have fixated on that a little." He snorted. "I know I fixated on that a lot. It kept me going sometimes through things that should have stopped me. But just because I'm still looking doesn't mean that I'm not glad that you're here, and that you're all right. I don't want it to have to come down to a choice."

"I don't blame you for any of this, you know."

"I know."

"Do you? Did your parents?"

"No. I don't think so. Maybe unconsciously, my mother," he said. "I don't know."

"And you've been doing this for twenty years. I can't imagine. I certainly wouldn't stop you from trying to find your answers." She looked at him wryly. "And, if you're anything at all like me, you wouldn't let that stop you even if I did."

"Poor Alex."

"What?"

"There's two of us."

xx

Alex drove around a little before heading back to the apartment. The two stops he had to make were a lot quicker than he anticipated. He hoped it wouldn't be too obvious that he had killed some time on the way back. He touched the food on the seat. Still hot.

He despaired of Mulder and his sister ever being able to find some common ground. Beth was great, but she was exactly what she said—stubborn and opinionated and single-minded, in a completely different way than the man he loved. She said what was on her mind most of the time, whereas he had to pull teeth sometimes to get Mulder to talk to him at all. He could see Mulder searching desperately for the sister that he had lost, a little girl with pigtails.

Still, he had to give the man credit. His entire world had turned around in a matter of months—from confusion and disaster, stumbling blocks at every turn, to having almost everything that he had ever looked for, and then some. Alex had known for a while that their relationship was possibly the least problematic thing that Mulder had going for him.

And yet, it was the little things—like Sarah Mulder. It wasn't as if Mulder could turn his mother around single-handedly, but to help her a little, insist that Alex be included in some things, would help.

He shook his head and turned down their street. One thing at a time, one day at a time. There's got to be a twelve-step group for lovers of stubborn FBI agents.

xx

"I love you."

It was three am. After a long night of greasy food and bad horror movies, they had finally all drifted off to bed, Beth discreetly taking the far bedroom from theirs. She borrowed a pair of pjs from Alex, eschewing the bottoms for the oversized top.

Mulder was holding Alex, running his fingers through his hair. Alex looked up at him. "I love you, too."

"You hardly ever say that."

"Don't I?"

"Uh-unh. You usually say, 'I know.' I just took that to mean the same thing."

"Well, it does, but I'm sorry. I'll remember that."

"I kind of liked it, actually. I know you love me." Alex smiled at him. Mulder was rubbing his neck, now. He was silent for a moment, before asking, low, "Who hurt you?" Alex stiffened. Mulder felt it and kept rubbing his neck, slipping his fingers down to his shoulders and up again. "I mean, I know—me, and the job, and everything like that. I meant before."

"You didn't hurt me—"

"No dodging the question. You know more about me than I do about you. You can hardly have had a normal childhood to end up where you did."

Alex was quiet, thinking. He could feel Mulder's fingers touching him, reassuring him, loving him. He wanted to tell him everything, but sometimes there's just too much to say, and no way to start.

"I don't know what I can tell you. I want to, I want to tell you the whole story of who I am, but I don't know what's important. What can I say that will tell you what you want to know? Immigrant parents, my father died when I was ten, my mother—" he stopped, searching for words. "I always got the feeling that my mother didn't like me. She loved me, she took care of me before and after my father died. But she didn't ever tell me—that I mattered. Does that make any sense?"

"Yes." Pause. "Did she tell you that she loved you?"

"Every day. It just never seemed like more than a string of words, somehow. She meant it, and she wasn't cruel—she just didn't care, I guess." He sighed. "It was hard for her—hard to find work, and feed us sometimes, and get me to school. She just didn't have enough time left to coddle me."

"Making your child feel loved isn't coddling. Even when I was young, and after Samantha was gone, I never had the feeling that my parents didn't care about me. Even when I didn't care about me, I knew they did. I felt it too much, sometimes, but it was always there." He kissed Alex. "I mean it when I say it, you know."

"I know."

Mulder smiled. "That's better."

xx

The scream woke both of them out of a sound sleep. Mulder was up, gun in hand, in an instant. Alex followed him, with Mulder's second gun.

They found Beth huddled in middle of bed, shaking. She took one look at their artillery, and put her hands up. "Remind me never to have a bad dream at your place again," she said, with half a smile.

Mulder put his gun on the nighttable, and sat down beside her. "What happened?"

She shook her head. "I don't know. Just a dream. Probably indigestion."

He looked at her skeptically.

"Okay, okay. I had a nightmare. No big deal. Probably a combo\ of too much food and really bad movies."

"Do you remember what it was about?"

"Nope." She said that much too fast. He and Alex looked at each other, then Alex made for the door. "I'll make some tea," he said.

"You don't have to," she started, but he was gone by then. "I don't remember," she said to Mulder.

He nodded at her. "We should start a support group."

She looked at him curiously.

"We all have nightmares," he explained. "Although Alex and I have been pretty good lately, you never can tell what will bring them on. Have you been having them a lot?"

"No. Just lately. I think it's seeing all the pictures, hearing the stories. It's a little eerie."

"Do you think you may be remembering?" he asked, trying not to sound too eager.

"I don't know. I don't think so. Will I be able to tell, though? Maybe I'm just dreaming about things that you've told me."

"I couldn't tell you everything. It's possible that the stories that you're hearing are triggering memories of your own. If you remember something that I haven't told you—"

Alex came back to the room. "We're all out. Would Yoo-Hoo do?"

Beth laughed. "It's okay. I think I'm fine, now."

"You sure?" Mulder asked.

"Yeah. Hell, I should sleep wonderfully now, knowing there's two well-armed men prepared to defend me." As they were leaving, she called out, "Oh, and don't worry. If I hear a yell from your room, I won't come running."

Mulder yelled back, "Brat."

They could hear her giggling.

xx

The next morning, they woke as usual, tangled up in each other. It was Sunday, a lazy time for them, a rare morning they weren't rushing to get to work, when they were both actually in the same city. Mulder's work with the X-Files was taking him less and less out of town, but with Dana planning to leave the department for Quantico after her wedding, Alex had a feeling it would only get worse.

They were kissing when they heard the phone ring. Before either of them could get it, it was answered. "Got it," Beth called from the living room.

There was silence for five more minutes, then a knock at the door.

"Are you guys decent?"

"That's a loaded question," Alex muttered.

"I heard that."

"Yes, we are, come in," Mulder said, snuggling up to Alex.

Beth strode in. She was showered and dressed, and looked more refreshed than she should have after the late night. She perched on the edge of their bed.

"That was Dana. She wants me to meet her for brunch with her mother to talk wedding plans. Apparently Mrs. Scully won't let her get away with as much of a shotgun wedding as she'd hoped."

"Poor Scully," Mulder mused. "Thank god Mom didn't say the same about us."

Alex punched him. "Yeah, but you'd've looked great in the dress."

"Me? You have the figure for it."

"Hey—"

"Boys, boys, really," Beth raised a hand. "I'm out of here. I made coffee, if either of you are planning on surfacing this morning."

"How are you getting back to the hotel?"

"Called a cab. It should be here soon. I'll call you later on and let you know if Dana survived."

"Give her our sympathy."

After she had left, Alex turned to Mulder. "What were we doing?"

"I don't remember. You have any ideas?"

"Not one. I suppose we could get up."

"Hm. I've got some files I need to read over for the morning, and a report to finish. You?"

"We need food. And the drycleaning should be done by today."

Mulder kissed him, passionately. "We could stay home and have sex," he said, nibbling on an earlobe.

Alex pretended to think this over. "We could," he said, letting out a moan.

"Well, then?"

"Oh, hell," he said, climbing on top of Mulder and locking their hands together. "Who needs food?"

xx

Beth spotted Dana and her mother sitting in the glassed-in patio section of the restaurant they had chosen. "Sorry I'm late," she apologized. "I have got to get a car."

"We've only been here ten minutes," Dana said. "Mom, this is Beth Locke. Beth, my mom."

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Scully."

"Please call me Margaret," the older woman said. "I hope you can help me talk some sense into my daughter."

"Mom—"

"Dana, I don't know how you expect to put together a wedding in two weeks. Don't you agree, Beth?"

"I'm afraid I'm the wrong one to ask. I eloped." She shrugged. "It wasn't fancy, but it got the job done."

"See?" Dana said. "I'm not eloping, I just want something small. I'll get a dress, and have some flowers, but no church."

"And you're adamant about that."

"I'm afraid so, mom. Walter's not even Catholic. A civil service will be easier all the way around." She patted her mother's hand. "Maybe later we can talk about some sort of church service. But right now, we just want to get married and get on with our life together."

Her mother nodded. "It's your decision, Dana. I'm just glad that you've found someone to be with."

She had been worried about her daughter for a while now. Even over the phone she could tell that she wasn't happy with her work, and her life was at somewhat loose ends ever since she and Fox had cracked open the government conspiracy. She had hopes that the two of them might realize their attraction to each other, but that had dashed away once Fox had become involved with Alex Krycek. Still, Walter Skinner was an extremely nice man, even if he did take a while to warm up to. And she had no doubt that her daughter would be happy. Best of all, she was going to be out of the firing line—a good teaching job at Quantico. All around, the wedding would prove to be a good thing.

"Well, if you're sure, I guess we can look at these to get an idea of what sort of dress you want."

"Oh mom, not bridal magazines."

"You have to read these," Beth laughed. "Even I read them, and I got married in jeans." She started flipping through the pages. "Look—'How to Make Your Wedding Night a Success.'"

Dana groaned. "Waiter," she raised an arm. "I need a drink."

xx

Alex writhed in the bed, head thrown back, digging his hands into the mattress. "Please," he cried out.

Mulder was torturing him. He would actually die, he was sure, before he was allowed to come.

"Mulder, please," his voice was getting more shallow, the tone more desperate. He was again brought to the edge, and again denied any release. The mouth on him would move away, suckling at his thighs, up his stomach, before coming to rest once again on his straining erection. Finally, he could take no more. He grabbed Mulder by the arms and pulled him up to attach their mouths together. Rubbing himself against Mulder's hip, he came desperately hard.

When he could catch his breath, he opened his eyes to see Mulder looking at him with amusement.

"Better?" he asked.

"You," Alex was panting, "you are a cruel man, Fox Mulder."

"Ah, you see," he said, kissing him. "I said I was fair, and I said I was honest, but I never said I wasn't cruel. Besides, you have no idea how beautiful you are when you're out of your mind with passion."

"So the next time we'll take a picture."

"You didn't enjoy it?" This was said with mock-hurt.

"Oh, I enjoyed it." He pushed Mulder over, slid their bodies together, and suckled at his neck. "I just have to try harder now, that's all. It's going to take me a while to think up something as good to do to you."

"I can't wait."

"With any luck, you won't have to."

xx

The three of them spent most of the rest of the day in a bridal shop, Dana trying on progressively more and more elaborate wedding outfits, her mother critiquing, and Beth attempting to referee. Dana had started out with a simple cream-coloured Armani suit.

"You're not wearing white?"

Beth bit her lip to smother her smile, and looked politely away. She knew if she caught Dana's eye, they'd both be done for.

"Mom, I don't think Armani makes a white suit."

"Well, why does it have to be a suit? You look—normal, for you. Couldn't you try something a little dressier?"

"Mom—" she sighed. "Okay. Find me something with a skirt, then."

She had absolutely drawn the line when it came to veils, and hats always made her face too round. Beth suggested a simple opal barrette to hold some of her hair off her face. After going through several outfits, they finally all agreed on a three-quarter length dress, cream-coloured, very slim, in silk with a matching jacket. She managed to find some shoes that didn't have to be dyed. She settled in a chair, exhausted.

"Now for you two."

"I have some perfectly nice dresses that I could wear," Beth protested.

"Yes, dear, it doesn't matter what we wear. The attention is all going to be on you."

"Oh, no, if I'm trying on dresses, you're trying on dresses. Now start!"

They looked at each other and headed for the racks.

xx

There was a message for Beth at the hotel when she got back at six.

"Hey, did the three of you get kidnapped by a deranged wedding planner?" There was a little too much glee evident in her brother's voice. "It's five-thirty, and Alex and I are heading for Milano's. Join us if you manage to get away in one piece."

"That's it," she said, slipping off her heels and rummaging in her closet for a pair of clean jeans. "I have definitely got to get a car."

xx

Milano's was a boisterous sports bar, featuring cheap pitchers of beer and an enthusiastic crowd on Sunday nights. Beth found her brother and his lover at a table, cheering on the basketball game being broadcast on several tvs in the place. She snagged a mug off the bar and sat down.

"Who's winning?"

"We are, of course," Alex said. "We always win."

"Ah, and which team would that be?"

"Whoever wins," Mulder smiled. "We always back the winner."

"Smart choice."

"So, how did your day go? Is Scully still in one piece?"

"Thankfully, yes." She grabbed a couple of bowls of peanuts off the bar. "She and her mother managed to reach a detente over the dress. We are all suitably attired, all we have to do is get the alterations done in time."

"I suppose we should talk to Skinner about what he wants us to wear."

"I cannot believe how lucky you guys are! Go out, rent a tux, get some shoes, and you're all done. That'll take what, an hour? There should be places that rent out women's clothes."

"Hungry?" Alex asked. She had demolished one bowl of peanuts, and started on another.

"Yup. I ate light for breakfast, so I could be skinny to try on clothes. I'm starving."

"If you keep eating like that, they're going to have to alter your dress ten times before the ceremony."

"Waiter!" she deftly stopped one in passing. "Two orders of suicide wings, and another pitcher. It's on them," she indicated the men.

"Suicide wings?"

"Oh, Alex, you haven't lived until you've tried suicide wings."

xx

"What are your plans for tomorrow?" Alex asked her, after they'd eaten.

"Well, I'm definitely going to rent a car, first of everything. I hate having to wait for cabs all the time. And, tomorrow afternoon, I get to go to Immigration."

"I'd forgotten all about that. Do you want me to go with you?" Mulder asked.

"No. I'm expecting an exercise in futility. I'll probably be sent back and forth through dozens of different departments trying to figure out the mess of my citizenship. You'd think it would be simple, wouldn't you? I'm American by birth, lived here for ten years, then went to Canada for twelve years and married a Canadian. I should have dual citizenship. Except that I've got a Canadian Social Insurance number, and a passport that says I'm Canadian. And I've been paying taxes there for twelve years."

"I don't envy you."

"I don't envy me, either. I've gathered together all the records that I could find, and I'm just going to have to let them tell me what to do. I'm just hoping that they don't kick my butt out of the country."

"If they try anything, I have one or two contacts in high places that I could call upon to smooth things out for you."

"Oh, good. I may need you to contact them for me, if the going gets rough."

"Consider it done."

She looked around. "Have you considered where you're taking Walter for the bachelor party?"

"Bachelor party?" Mulder asked.

"You're the best man, it's your responsibility." A wicked gleam came into her eyes. "I've heard they do a nice strip show at Bottleneck," she said, before taking a sip of her beer.

Her brother glared at her, while Alex tried not to laugh. Bottleneck was a popular underground gay bar, with all-male strippers three nights a week. "Somehow, I don't think that Skinner would consider that to be a suitable venue for the end of his bachelorhood."

"You never know," she said, demurely.

"You'd probably have a better chance of getting Dana there." Alex was laughing now.

"They don't let women in, silly." She sighed. "The level of discrimination is shocking, don't you think?"

"And you've been there and tried to get in?" Mulder was getting more interested in this conversation.

"I—I—I think I've got to powder my nose." She made a beeline for the ladies' room.

"Did you take her there?" he demanded of Alex.

"I'm not getting in the middle of this. We haven't spent every night with her, you know. She's probably been out on her own."

"It sounds like she knows D.C. better than we do."

"Speak for yourself. I just never thought you were particularly the gay bar type."

"And you are?"

"Well, I used to go out once in a while. But that was different, Mulder. I've been gay my whole life, pretty much. It's where you meet people."

"Do you miss it?"

"The meat market? Hell, no. It was mostly pickups, you know. Nothing serious. And if I never have to do it again, I'll be happy."

Beth came back from the bathroom. "So, are we done here?"

Mulder raised an eyebrow at her. "I guess so. We really should get home."

"Me, too. I've got a busy day."

"I'll call you tomorrow night. Let me know if you have any problems before then."

"Cool." She bent to kiss both of them goodbye. "See you tomorrow."

xx

Mulder was quiet on the drive home.

"What?" Alex finally asked.

"I don't know. I'm worried about her."

"The nightmare."

He nodded. "That, and different things. She's handling everything a little too well, don't you think? I'm worried that she's going to crash soon."

"It's certainly enough to send anyone over the edge. If she's starting to remember things from her past—"

"Exactly. I think I'm going to talk to her about seeing someone."

"A therapist?"

"I think it would help. At least we could find out if these nightmares are just dreams, or repressed memories. She could be a good candidate for hypnotherapy."

"She may not agree."

"I don't know. I think she wants to find out the truth as much as I do, now that she knows that there's something to look for. Before, it was just a big blank. Now that we're filling in some of the pieces, it would be easier for her to tell if what she's remembering is real."

"I do think you should talk to her. Just be prepared for her to say no. It will be frightening for her if she does it, and it may not even lead to anything."

"I know. I wasn't even going to bring it up, except for the nightmare." Mulder sighed. "At least if we get her to a therapist, he may be able to help her with those."

"Sounds like a good idea."

xx

She awoke suddenly, covered in sweat. Gasping for breath, she sat fully up, only peripherally aware of the tears streaming down her cheeks.

She looked at the clock. 3:17 am.

The dream had been so real—just like the other ones. She was falling, falling a long way, in a long flannel nightgown. She was a little girl—scrawny, scared. She couldn't find anything to hold on to.

She was Samantha.

xx

monaram@yahoo.com

Part Six

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]