Go to notes and disclaimers


Dark Angel's Fire
by Megaera

Part VIII
Dominion

Those skilled in war subdue the enemies army without battle. They capture the enemies cities without assaulting them and overthrow his state without protracted operations...... Thus their troops are not worn out and their gains will be complete. This is the art of offensive strategy.
Sun Tzu—The Art of War

.........Therefore, we have no choice but to cede three American cities to the superior forces of the Demon invaders, in the expectation that this will save countless lives and protect as many of our civilians as possible from a terrible fate. From Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, The U.S. constitution no longer holds sway in Delaware and New York. The new overlord of Washington, Kulain nh'Amara guarantees all U.S. citizens civil rights, in a treaty we have established.......
Broadcast of the President of the United States
21/6/2000

xx

Mulder and Alex huddled together on their couch, staring at the t.v. screen. The world as they, and every other U.S. citizen knew it was coming to an end. They were no longer sitting in a democracy, but in a dictatorship. Run by their beautiful, sensuous and duplicitous lover. It felt strange, to be the only protection between humanity and the whims of a demon. Especially one who had just forfeited their trust so completely, by his actions of the previous night. Alex buried his head in Mulder's shoulder, needing to be loved and soothed, for once in his semi-independent existence. Fox Mulder unhesitatingly wrapped his arms round the younger man.

"Fox........He's got us exactly where he wants us! Damn him to hell!" Alex was caught between sobbing misery and rage.

"I love you Alex. I'll always be here for you. You know that!" He held Alex and the two of them watched the pictures of New York on the t.v. The appearance of the demons and the carnage that followed. Red fire exploded out of the ground in a huge arc, lashing across the city, scattering what seemed like sparks in its path. Then a column of fire erupted from the U.N. Building bomb site, cylindrical, shimmering as reality twisted around it. Impossible energies levelled the site down to the bedrock around the cylinder, and it resolved itself into a structure. A huge glowing sapphire tower, that dominated the city, and made both men recoil with an instinctive terror and loathing. Mulder realised almost immediately that the tower must be huge, if he could see it at such a distance on the cameras that watched from across the water. Like a lighthouse, a beam of light flashed out from it, not saving, but annihilating any humans who ventured too close to it. Not that many dared, after the few rebel army squads and cops had been summarily dealt with. A sudden movement behind them startled both, it was Kulain.

"What is it? What's happening to the city?" Alex whispered, his eyes wide.

"The end of your world!" Kulain said, and his two partners heard the anger he had tried to hide. "Or perhaps, the loss of humanity's innocence!" Both men were watching him, needing reassurance. He sounded so desolate.

"The demons have come to lay claim to your world. Not even I can stop it, though I have always known it would come to this. Three towers will appear tonight, and the people living close to them will learn how to live under our rule. Or die. The Blue tower in Delaware, the Red in New York, and the Green.....

The glowing sparks in the distance on the screen, resolved themselves into demons, huge, ravening, blue eyed monsters that tore into human victims in joy, then stopped eventually to gorge themselves on blood, as one of the braver or more foolhardy cameramen broadcast from the city. A cacophony of screams began in the distance, and gunshots trailed off into the darkness. Howling rent the night air, and loping wolf-like demon soldiers loped past, carrying the more delectable morsels, struggling uselessly, back to their masters.

Mulder surged up from his seat, desperate to do something. Kulain's grip tightened painfully on his wrist. "Fox, no! You can do nothing. This is the price your government has agreed to pay, to safeguard the rest of its people. Two other cities alone will be taken, and the demons will stay penned within them."

"And are you going to do that to Washington?" Alex whispered.

"Well, the two of you hardly constitute an army, though you can be quite rowdy when you're drunk, Alex!" Kulain smiled coolly, ignoring the sound of screams from the t.v. in the background.

"I hate you! For this, and for what you did yesterday. How could you want someone else after all we've sacrificed for you?" Surprisingly, it wasn't the volatile Alex that exploded in anguish, it was Mulder. The agent grabbed something, anything, from the coffee table next to him and flung it at Kulain. It was a long empty mug that had been abandoned, when they had seen what was happening on their t.v. screens.

Kulain , with reflexes honed to perfection, caught the missile deftly in one hand. His eyes darkened with anger, and before Mulder could move, he was held firmly by the throat, and he felt the effortless strength of the demon. Talons scraped lightly on his skin. He heard Alex gasp in horror, and felt the fingers tighten imperceptibly on his throat. Green eyes burned in fury, so close to his.

"Do you think I have made no sacrifices, Fox Mulder! My own kind call me weak and despise me, and it is only a matter of time before one of them challenges me! And all because I dared look at a human as more than prey! Every minute of every day on this world, I must fight my instincts. Because I dreamed of something better..... If I choose to give in to a momentary amusement, it hardly compares with what the rest of my species considers recreation."

Mulder was suddenly free, and sank, gasping onto the couch. As if to underline his point, the unknown cameraman on the flickering screen abruptly howled in agony, as he was finally pulled from his vantage point. The screen became spattered with something, and the tilted picture became tinged with red, even as dawn began to break.

Kulain turned to leave, moving in rapid strides to the door, as if he couldn't wait to be free of them. Them he turned, and stared at the two of them, the anger in his eyes abruptly smoothed away by some other emotion. "I left you a present in my room. Do what you want with it. Come to me in three days if you want to talk, it'll be obvious where I am by then." His footsteps died away, as he left.

"In a way, he's right," Alex said quietly. "He is kind of restrained, for a demon."

xx

The two men wearily went upstairs, after the news broadcast had ended. With the approach of dawn, the activity in the two demon controlled cities had died down considerably, although sporadic screams and gunfire could be heard. It was a good time to just go to bed and hold each other for the next few hours. At the top of the stairs, Mulder hesitated for a moment, then unwound his arm from round Alex's waist and opened the door to Kulain's big bedroom. He gasped aloud, and a curious Alex glanced round the door with him.

The young man lying in Kulain's bed was the same one they had seen him with yesterday. He lay on his back, one hand resting negligently above his head, deeply asleep. His naked body was bared to the waist, and he was smiling slightly, full lips parted, as if his dreams were pleasant. As they watched, Sean moved a little in his sleep, and the delicate play of muscles across his skin was revealed.

"Oh fuck!" Alex swore. "What the hell are we supposed to do now. I want nothing to do with that two timing bastard's bed-warmer!"

Mulder gripped his shoulder. "It's alright Alex. I'll get rid of him. You go and get some rest."

He walked over to the bed, reached out and shook the younger man's shoulder. "Hey! You've got to leave now!"

Sean moaned. Someone was calling him, touching him. The memory of Kulain's hands across his skin, the taste of him.... He struggled through layers of sleep, into drowsy arousal, and reached out to grab at the hand that was on his shoulder, bringing it to his mouth and sucking on the fingertips, tasting the lingering chemicals on Mulder's skin, absorbing the traces of Mulder's pheromones.

Mulder felt the young man wake, then he blushed crimson, as Sean took two forefingers into his beautiful mouth.

Well, I can understand why Kulain found him attractive! He always did like the direct approach!

"Let go!" Mulder pushed at Sean. With a whimpering moan of protest, Sean clutched at him, as Mulder tried to pull away. The younger man wanted this closeness, the haunting familiarity of those fingers across his skin. He pulled hard at Mulder's shirt, and the unexpected motion made the agent overbalance. He fell, and ended up sprawled over Sean, who gave a yelp and tried, unsuccessfully to sit up.

The experience of having Fox Mulder suddenly land on him woke Sean up completely. He abruptly realised that he was lying in a strange bed, with an only vaguely familiar man, with his hand between Sean's teeth. Enough was enough. He bit down hard, and Mulder screamed in pain, pulling his hand back.

"Who the hell are you?" Sean demanded of the body on top of him. "Where am I? How did I get here?" He aimed a low and dirty blow at the dark haired man's side. The man gasped, then his eyes flared green, like Kulain's. Then Mulder was pinning his arms down, astride him, furious. And the hands that held Sean shifted to taloned long boned fingers, pupils narrowing to slits.

Sean lay still, transfixed, suddenly too scared to move.

Mulder was too hyper after the night's events to stay in control of his demon instincts. He felt long controlled reflexes and feelings overwhelm him.

This one had tried to take Kulain away from him. He would soon teach this one to regret his presumption. This one would be his!

A predatory smile crossed Mulder's face, then he leaned down and slowly, deliberately, drew in air in a long breath, sampling Sean's scent, enjoying the smell of his fear and the traces of desire that still lingered there. With a growl, he brutally kissed Sean, forcing the lush mouth open, and tasting him hungrily. Mulder began to pull his clothes off, flinging them away. He made a grab for Sean's shoulders and deliberately pulled the human against him, ignoring the little sob the man made. Mulder kissed his prey again, and felt the human moan, as Mulder's demon enhanced body pressed close to him. There was that delicious scent of arousal coming from Mulder's body, the one that had so bound him to Kulain earlier. Sean began to react, involuntarily, to the powerful predator who was intent on taking possession of him. Instinct made him lie back on the bed, spreading his legs and bracing his body for penetration.

This was definitely getting out of hand. That was Mulder's last coherent thought, before the demon inside him took full control.

The prey offered itself, as was natural. This was what they were both designed for. Mulder was distantly aware of the human's fear and desire. He could smell the want that Sean felt, the hot fluids seeping from the tip of Sean's erect cock as he began to rub himself against Mulder. He caught the human's thighs and forced them roughly further apart, lifting the human effortlessly. He was so hard himself now, that he could barely hold back from ramming himself into the human's tightness. A last fragment of humanity made him pause, pull the lubricant out from the bedside table, and smear it on his hands, before he pushed his fingers inside Sean, preparing him for his entrance. The human began to writhe against him helplessly, his hands clutching convulsively at Mulder, his breath coming in small sobs of lust.

It was time.

Mulder pushed his way inside Sean, glorying in the virgin tightness. He knew Kulain had never been there. This one was totally his. The predatory instinct that was in play between demons could detect nothing of Kulain's presence within this human. The delicious, arousing scent of him was untainted by anything demon. The thought of that sent a new rush of blood to Mulder's cock, and he began to move inside Sean, even as the human wrapped his legs around his possessor, in the ultimate surrender, yielding himself totally to Mulder. He slammed into Sean, again and again, the human arching up to meet him, until Sean began to scream in glorious orgasmic pleasure. The two of them lost in each other, oblivious to anything except the movement of their bodies together. He felt the tension gather inside him, building to unbearable sweetness.

His. His. HIS

Sean had never dreamed of anything like this. He was out of control, unable to stop his body from reacting to the other man, from the first moment he had been kissed. The same incredible reaction as he felt in Kulain's presence, and as impossible to command. He would do whatever Mulder demanded of him. And when he first felt the other man's penis enter him, he was lost. There had never been anything so good, so right, so in tune with what his body was telling him. The initial pain was spiralling into a wild tornado of fire and heat, setting him ablaze. More passion than he had ever known. He had never felt so good Green glowing eyes, alight with hunger for him, gazing into his face with a mixture of lust and unrestrained craving. He answered the tide of lust as best he could, knowing instinctively, that it would take every ounce of strength and wantonness he possessed to satisfy this man's demands.

xx

Alex had waited for Mulder for at least twenty minutes, before he decided to wander tiredly downstairs and find Mulder. Surely his lover couldn't have come across any problems evicting that young fool from the house. He shouted Mulder's name down the stairwell, as he went, and surprisingly, there was no reply.

Then he heard the unmistakable sounds coming from Kulain's room. His first thought was that perhaps Kulain was back. His mind instinctively tried to shy away from the truth. Then he found himself level with the open bedroom door, and though he didn't want to, he made himself look in.

Mulder was in bed with the young man Kulain had picked up. Alex didn't want to watch, but found himself rooted to the spot, staring in terrible fascination, at Mulder, as he thrust powerfully into Sean's body. It wasn't just that Mulder was uncaring that Alex might see. He was shifted for sex. Something they had only ever tried between themselves. So dangerous that they always ended up bruised and sore afterwards, even with the demon blood in them making them so resilient to injury. The sex he was witnessing was rapidly coming to a climax. The younger man screamed wildly, his voice carrying a note of ecstasy. as he jerked uncontrollably in orgasm. With an inhuman growl, Mulder came, pumping the younger man beneath him full of his semen. Demon claws brutally scored the human's back, and Alex watched in disbelief as Mulder's head reared up and he bit deep into the fleshy part of Sean's shoulder, shaking his head like a lion gripping its captive quarry. Whatever the spell was that had made Sean cooperate so enthusiastically with Mulder was broken. He screamed in sudden agony, and Alex found himself looking into terrified utterly human eyes, that begged him for help. With a furious curse, Alex grabbed Mulder's shoulder, wrenching him away from the younger man.

"What the hell are you doing Fox? You can't do that! You'll hurt him!"

Glowing green eyes glared into his, nothing recognisable in them.

"Mine! He's mine! Get away!" Mulder's claws swung at Alex, and only his own fast reflexes saved him from the inhuman fury of the blow. Whatever control Mulder had retained over his demon blood had disappeared, and he launched himself off the bed towards Alex in reflex. His own momentum was his undoing. As he flew at Alex, the younger man stepped aside and let Mulder rush headlong into a poised fist, that hit his jaw in a perfect knockout blow. For an instant, shock and chagrin were reflected in his partner's face, then Mulder dropped like a stone, unconscious at Alex's feet. A few minutes was all it took to find some demon restraints and cuff Mulder to the bed. Then Alex turned his attention to the hapless young man sprawled on the floor beside him.

Sean's face was tear streaked and he looked utterly bewildered. Blood trickled slowly down his lacerated back and shoulder. He felt as though he was waking from a bad dream, only to find it had been real. He couldn't even remember coming to this house.

He had really let the stranger take him. Had wanted it with every fibre of his being. And his lover hadn't been entirely human. If the other man hadn't helped him, what would have happened to him?

Lost and desperately scared, he didn't fight when Alex gently led him away, and began to clean up his injured body. His mind couldn't quite accept what had happened to him. His own loss of control had utterly scared him. Reaction set in, and he huddled, shivering on the couch, not resisting Alex when he pressed something hot and sweet, probably tea, into his cold hands.

xx

This was a hell of a mess, and no mistake. The look on Mulder's face when he had tried to stop his lover had been so foreign, so inhuman. No compassion at all. Just a possessive lust that scared Alex more than anything else had that week. They both knew the dangers of losing control, had discussed it often enough, but seeing Mulder like that. Alex closed his eyes, tried not to think about those two beautiful bodies moving together. For the briefest moment when he had seen them, he had felt his own dark side stir, though whether in jealousy at Mulder or Sean, he didn't know.

Sean huddled, unmoving, where Alex had left him, staring dully into space. His mind just kept cycling over and over. Images of Mulder above him, of Mulder fighting Krycek, of the enigmatic Kulain, who was responsible for his present situation. He would have limped back to the embassy, or called the police, but what could he tell them? He wasn't a prisoner, had taken part in the sex enthusiastically. And besides, his job would be on the line if his less than sympathetic employers found out. Too easy to blackmail, that's what his file would say. No security jobs for him. Sexually ambiguous bodyguards were a little thin on the ground. His head was beginning to ache as much as that place between his legs.

xx

Alex sat beside Mulder on the bed, staring sadly at him. He could tell from the rhythm of Mulder's breathing that he wasn't asleep.

"I know you can hear me Fox. Talk to me, damn it! How the hell did you get into this mess?" Alex's voice echoed his indignant fury.

Mulder's eyes flickered open. Brown, once again. He shivered slightly, and shrugged in bafflement.

"I'm damned if I know. Alex....."

"Shut up and listen. You used him, Fox! He's sitting downstairs, not knowing whether to cry or walk. I've talked him into staying for the moment, but we need to get this sorted quickly, before he changes his mind." He reached over, and released Mulder's hands from the cuffs.

"Alex! Where does this leave us?" Mulder was uncomfortably close to pleading.

"I don't know! Just drop it, okay!" Mulder saw the pain in Alex's expression. Miserable, he turned and pulled on his slightly crumpled shirt, dressing hurriedly. He followed Alex downstairs and hesitantly entered the room where his most recent lover was sitting, wretched and alone. The blue eyes lifted, and a look of mixed misery, hope and fear showed there. He didn't speak, but the mug he was holding began to shake slightly, and a hand went up involuntarily to cover the dressing Alex had put over the bite mark.

Mulder felt the oddest desire to wrap his arms around the younger man, and hold him until the trembling passed. Something of that must have shown, because both Alex and Sean flinched, for different reasons. Sean edged further away from him, his face paling slightly.

"I don't really know what to say......" Mulder hesitated. "I'm sorry. That doesn't sound nearly enough to make up for what I did....."

Sean felt so strange. This man was facing him, trying to explain the inexplicable, and Sean didn't really want to listen. His headache was making him dizzy, and he felt nauseous. Shock, probably. He decided to get out of this place, go to his embassy lodgings, and call in sick for a week. He would try to forget all about this little incident. Oh yes, he desperately wanted to forget it. Especially the moment his own body had arched upwards in total betrayal, and hot cum had pumped out of his traitorous cock.

"Forget it! I want to. Just leave me alone and you won't ever need to think about me again!" Sean rose to his feet, intending to storm out of the house and find a cab to go home

The world tilted alarmingly, and he felt himself sliding, as if in slow motion, to the floor. Mulder leapt forward, a fraction of a second ahead of Alex, and he was once again in those violent, memorable, skilful arms. Somewhere inside him, Sean felt a hot spike of pain, centred in his abdomen, even as Mulder lowered his shivering body onto the couch. The pain seemed to redouble, hitting his nervous system like a charge of electricity. He felt his body arch upwards in a massive convulsion, and he screamed in agony and terror. He felt himself clutching at Mulder, his hands instinctively clawing at the agent. The ends of his fingers split, gushing blood, and long taloned claws emerged, even as his own eyes flared green.

"No! Oh no!" Mulder backed away in horror.

"Please! Help me!" The younger man's agonised scream wrenched at Mulder, as he stared disbelievingly at what he had accomplished. Sean lifted his torn hands in terror, reaching out in desperate entreaty towards Mulder. He froze. Alex pushed past his immobile partner, glaring at him accusingly as he forced his shock away, and knelt beside Sean. He wrapped his arms around the bodyguard, holding him, trying to reassure him. Smoothing his hands gently over the torn flesh as he tapped into that part of his mind that could, on rare occasions, heal. Mulder couldn't help himself, he turned and ran. Away from the life he had ruined, and the lover he had betrayed. The worst of it was that he had all the information he needed to work it out.

Kulain, not taking Sean, though he wanted to

Kulain biting Marita, and turning her into something else

Kulain's voice telling him that from the first moment they had been lovers, his change was inevitable.

Amara and her clues about his changed biology.

What Kulain had done to him was infectious in some way, that's why he and Alex had changed. Whether he was deliberately infected or not, he didn't know, but his actions that night had just changed Sean's whole life. The bodyguard was demon tainted, whether he wanted it or not. A hell of a price to pay for a night of passion. He and Alex had been fairly happy with their improved bodies, and had never chosen to investigate the mechanism of the change. Any edge in their search for the truth was worth the price. Or was it.....?

Mulder stumbled out of the house, intending to make his way to the park, find somewhere quiet and try to solve his problems. He received an even bigger shock outside his house than when he had been inside. The whole of the street was blocked by half a hundred police cars, holding back a crowd of about five hundred spectators, and the famous Washington media circus. Most of those eyes were now focused on him. Slowly, Mulder went down the steps and approached the barricade carefully, keeping his hands visible.

"What's this all about? I'm Fox Mulder with the F.B.I." Cautiously, Mulder offered his I.D. to the nearest police officer. The man, a lieutenant, laughed.

"You mean you haven't even noticed your new next door neighbours? I thought the F.B.I. were trained in observation techniques." The cop sarcastically gestured up the street to the empty lot next door to Mulder's house. Abruptly, Mulder felt like sitting down, and he found himself clutching the cop's arm in apprehension and awe.

"Yeah! It gets everyone that way when they first see it." The cop became sympathetic. "I'd hate to see what happens to your property prices!"

Mulder remembered what Kulain had said about it being obvious where he would be. Well, the other demon cities had a central tower, why shouldn't Kulain have one too? Next to his humans. The awesome structure in the formerly empty lot was slender and beautiful, in a strange kind of way. Glowing a pearly-iridescent emerald green, and tall as the tallest public building in Washington. It radiated power and a calm sense of control. And it seemed oddly comforting to him. Abruptly, Mulder longed for Kulain's arms around him, then perhaps things would be alright again. At least he wouldn't turn Mulder away.

Before the cop could stop him, he turned and ran towards the Tower, not caring that in New York, the tower had displayed powerful defences against invading humans. When the green light flashed out of the tower, it struck him head on. There was a moment's horrific pain, as if he was being turned inside out. Then, just as he was sure he would die, and maybe he deserved it, a curious sense of recognition seemed to steal over the agent. It knew him, and he was permitted to pass. In front of the awed eyes of half the world's media and their cameras, Fox Mulder entered the demon tower and the green light of the tower's defences died into watchfulness again.

xx

Darkness

Cold, terrible watchfulness that seemed to look deep into his soul

A distinct amusement that washed over him from somewhere distant

Mulder felt himself being lifted into the air, as if he was as light as a feather, then he was rising inside the tower, until he was suddenly level with a platform, where he was gently deposited. Shaken and slightly apprehensive, Mulder walked forward for the first time, into Kulain's domain. It was oddly human, nothing like the strangeness that the other side of the gates sometimes displayed. A comfortable and chaotic workroom, with incomprehensible clutter and a few comfortable seating areas. His lover was sitting on one of these, smiling benignly at him, as if he was a wayward child who had found the keys to the treasure chest. Kulain looked tired.

"You were stupid to take such a risk with the sentinel in place, Fox. It was .... dangerous! Why did you need to see me so soon? I told you I would need three days."

"I.... I....please..... Kulain...." Mulder's control vanished, and he flung himself forward, throwing his arms around the demon and clinging to him, sobbing desperately. This at least, was a constant in his life. To be held protectively and to have supportive, loving words whispered to him, when he needed them. The one thing he had always craved from his lover. No-one in the world could hurt him when Kulain held him so close.

"Little one. My Fox. Shakushu What is it?" Kulain gently soothed his desperately anguished lover. He held Mulder in his arms until he felt the trembling ease slightly. Fox Mulder, apparently so self reliant and strong, had a delicate fragility to his mind when his relationship hit rocky times. Kulain, slyly, had ensured that he was always there to provide support, and had lately made himself indispensable to the human. He loved Mulder. But control.....

"I did something so stupid. Alex hates me for it. I slept with him.... your friend Sean." Mulder felt Kulain tense slightly. "Then he changed...." Mulder felt Kulain draw back from him, and whimpered softly. But the demon didn't look angry or disgusted. Only regretful.

"That's.... ill timed. He needed protection from our smoking friend. My interest had been noted by his people. I never thought to warn you not to get too close to him. You probably realise by now that some, fortunately rare humans can trigger overwhelming desire in our kind. You and Alex felt it yourselves from Ash. A need to possess..... Did you never realise what you did to me when you were in my bed?" Mulder shook his head. Kulain drew him close again, and he nestled into his lover's welcome embrace. "It becomes less, with prolonged contact. But never entirely leaves you." He began to nuzzle Mulder's neck, letting his mouth trace a path along the hotly pulsing blood vessel that ran close to the surface there.

Mulder moaned, and tilted his head sideways, to give Kulain easier access to his throat, and the deliciously dangerous feel of his lover's teeth against his skin. The incidents with Sean all but forgotten.

"I know a way to take your mind off your troubles. Do you want me to show you?" Mulder nodded in reply to Kulain's words that whispered sibilantly against him, raising goose bumps across the tender flesh that he was kissing. Mulder didn't trust himself to speak, but Kulain could read his body well enough by now, to know his desire. Arms went around him, as he sat on his lover's lap, leaning his back against Kulain's chest. Nimble fingers reached down, and with his willing co-operation, soon managed to loosen his belt and pants so that they could be hurriedly wriggled out of by their owner. Mulder felt a growing hardness behind him, and opened his legs wider at the prompting of a hand that slowly caressed his firm buttocks. Kulain's other hand wasn't idle. Fingers began to pull and tease at his nipples for a moment, then slid up his chest and swept across his neck, finally finding his mouth and pressing inside its hot moistness.

Mulder eagerly sucked on his lover's two fingers, making his tongue stroke them and draw them deeper, mimicking the action he loved to perform on Kulain's cock. His lover responded with a throaty laugh close behind him and slowly drew the fingers away, ignoring Mulder's moan of disappointment. The agent was almost fully erect by now, his cock raised high in salute, glistening with pre-cum. One hand proceeded to grasp his appreciative penis at the base, and he groaned appreciatively, wriggling his body to try and thrust deeper into the tight fist.

"Shhh little Fox. Be patient. I can make you feel even better!" Kulain chuckled at his lover's small encouraging cries, and slipped his slickened fingers between Mulder's ass cheeks, finding his tightness and teasing him slowly open. His Fox was really quite delightful, when he lost his inhibitions, writhing like that as his prostate was gently stroked. When he had provoked Mulder into screaming wildly, he judged the time was right, and pushed the head of his large penis inside the agent carefully, then easing his full length into the sweet depths. Mulder sighed in satisfaction, then began the familiar thrusting rhythm that impacted his prostate with every stroke. In this position, the friction between them was spectacular. Mulder began to shout out wild incoherent pleas, as he was filled and emptied in turn, more than half in control of the sex. Then he came in a powerful surge that swept him away, so that he barely felt Kulain's own climax.

After that, at some point they both ended up in Kulain's bed. And yes, the tower had such a thing. Softer and lusher than Mulder was used to, but heavenly for lying, exhausted, in your lover's arms, the softness of the bed tipping their two bodies slightly closer. Kulain's arms were around him as he lay with his head resting on the demon's chest

"That feels so good." Mulder murmured sleepily. Lips brushed in a tender kiss across his forehead. Mulder pressed his body closer, enjoying the soothing warmth. He hated fights with his partners, but making up was always rewarding. Then a thought occurred to him.

"I think I just made our relationship public!" he murmured. "I came dashing in here in front of half a hundred t.v. cameras, and it's obvious I'm spending the night. Unless they think I'm lying dead in here!"

"How would you like to be my official spokesman?" Kulain's face held no trace of mockery. "At least I can trust you to speak the truth."

Mulder kissed a warm shoulder, enjoying the play of muscles beneath his mouth, as the strong arms tightened reassuringly. "Only if you promise me something important!" Kulain tilted his head to listen. "Talk things over with me or Alex, if you're going to make any big decisions about the city. I need to know you're going to care for all of us. That I can trust you."

"Do you think I take on the aggravation of a city like this for fun, Fox? I did this because you would never have forgiven me if I had let them all die. I govern the city, my love, but you govern me!"

Mulder proceeded to demonstrate his gratitude very enthusiastically.

xx

Pasht crept into the basement of the house almost silently. She could hear Alex murmuring something to a strange man somewhere above her. He sounded agitated. She felt only a mild curiosity. Kulain's games, as usual, were proceeding on track. Keep his lovers off balance so they would be controllable and more docile. Alex amused her. So passionate, yet so vulnerable to exploitation where his emotions were concerned. She also knew how enthusiastic he could be when given the right stimulus. And here she was, letting herself be used in one game worthy of the highest accolades.

Pasht crept to the side wall of the cellar, and pressed a coded sequence of bricks on one grimy wall. A hidden door slid silently open, as had been designed before the humans had ever moved into the house. She stepped inside the cavity that was revealed, and the door closed behind her. Only then did the concealed lighting in the ceiling brighten, revealing the entrance to a complex series of tunnels that stretched under the house. All the way to the great tower next door, in fact. There were at least a mile of them stretching out in all directions, and with the instinct of a cat, she chose one quiet, dark entrance, and padded down it quickly, until she found the chamber she sought. Amara leaned back against a high backed chair, reading some human nonsense. She looked up and smiled.

"You have the supplies we need?"

"Yes!" Pasht nodded. "When the accelerated gestation period ends in three weeks, we will be ready to care for the child, human style. Though why you should want to, I don't know." The demon medical technician smiled back at her sister.

"If the other demon leaders realise that I have allowed a half-human child of mine to live, she will be eliminated. The child must be hidden among the humans. They would not allow the potential for destruction she carries to rest in human hands. They must think of Kulain as the only inheritor of my power." The two of them turned to look at the human woman whose womb carried the child. Rachel Nichols slept on, oblivious to her fate.

xx

xx

"And therefore, whoever wishes to give men a truly worthy lord would have to choose him from another species, endowed with a nature superior to ours....they are reasonably bound to obey him, like a herd which obeys a herdsman...."

Castiglione—Book of the courtier

xx

Sean woke from a restless and dream haunted sleep, stretched out on the couch. He shivered reflexively, for a moment in his nightmare, he had been somewhere else, and he had seen an unearthly landscape, humans scurrying for cover as night descended and the demons came. The sky had been a muddy brown colour, and the Earth had been devoid of all plant or animal life. Just the human burrows, where the remnants of a once great people huddled for survival on a dying world. It had been so real. Even now he could feel the lingering dread of the darkness that had seemed so intense in that awful place.

Desperate for the sight of something living, Sean went over to the window and flung open the curtains, to stare at the glowing green tower that had appeared so recently on the Washington horizon. As usual, there were plenty of spectators. The people of the town had begun to relax a little, when no immediate threat had materialised, and those who had fled the city were beginning to trickle back in small groups. Now it was becoming a main attraction on tourist routes. Get your photo taken with a demon tower in the background. Getting out of the house was like negotiating a circus ring.

Boy, had it pissed off Alex!

Without knowing quite how, Sean had found himself installed in the household. He had lied shamelessly to his work colleagues, and told them he had found accommodation outside the embassy compound, a not uncommon practice. If he were to admit the truth to himself, the episode when his body had temporarily shifted had terrified him, and he felt reluctant to wander far from the imagined safety of Krycek's presence. Though whether to protect himself or others, he didn't know.

A part of him whispered that a bodyguard who could have weapons like those claws at his disposal would have a formidable advantage. And he had seen for himself how fast and strong the adaptations made a human.

And Alex. Beautiful, generous Alex, who had helped him so much. The agent was having a rough time of it at the moment. He had sided with the F.B.I. and placed the protection of civilians as his highest priority. Opposing Mulder, who now spoke for Kulain in an official capacity. Sean felt a pang of guilt. He had wrecked the two men's lives. Alex never smiled or laughed when Sean saw the agent. He just seemed to drift through life, miserable, and preferring to be alone. Alex tried to be kind, but it was obvious who he wanted to be with.

Mulder too, plainly hated his new position, but grimly tried to do what he thought was right. The few t.v. pictures Sean had seen showed Mulder a few times at Kulain's side, during his negotiations with the government, even caught a few rare displays of affection between them. Now the evidence of that had really scandalised Washington! A human and a demon as lovers.....!

But there was a haunted quality to Mulder's face that only someone who had known him before could detect. Sean remembered the relaxed, gentle man he had seen in the F.B.I. building, weeks ago, before he wrecked things. Who had looked at him so compassionately, when Kulain had touched him. And with a desperate shame, the fiercely passionate lover who had changed his life..........

Mulder and Alex were both too proud to give in to each other, to bury their differences, and now both suffered. With a sigh, the young bodyguard turned back to his paperwork. His sick leave was up tomorrow, and he would have to return to embassy life with its petty bureaucracy and backbiting quarrels, to guard the lives of men and women he no longer gave a damn about.

xx

The screaming woke Sean in the early hours of the morning. A desperate whimpering followed and he reflexively jerked his gun out of its holster and ran towards the sound. It was Alex. The F.B.I. agent was huddled in the corner of the room, curled tightly into a ball, hiding his face in his hands. He was shivering uncontrollably. Sean laid his gun down on, and slowly approached the distressed man.

"Alex? What is it? What's the matter?"

For long moments, the green eyes just stared at him, unseeing and terrified. Then they finally seemed to focus on reality. A bewildered expression crossed his face.

"That dream again!" he spoke very softly. "The bad one...... Where the demons catch me, chain me up and hurt me. And no-one can help me...."

He broke into shocking sobs and wrapped his arms round himself, trembling. And he didn't resist when Sean gently drew him closer, only rested his head against his comforter's shoulder and cried in despair. Sean held Alex carefully, like he was a fragile piece of china. There was something so desperate about his sobs, as if he was on the edge of an abyss. Finally the wretched weeping ceased, and Alex just stayed still, as if he didn't want to leave the soothing embrace.

"I thought I would hate you," Alex said quietly. "But I don't. Isn't that crazy!" He laughed, but there was a strained quality to the sound.

"When I get the dream, it's so real, like it actually happened to me. When Kulain or....... Fox were around, I knew I was safe, it wasn't so bad. At least I always knew Kulain would protect me from harm....."

Hesitantly, Sean reached out his hand to touch Alex, gently brushing his fingers across the smooth skin of Alex's face. Momentarily, Alex seemed to revive and respond, his eyes lighting with something more than misery, as loneliness and physical need warred with the agony of his loss. Then, with a curse, he pulled away from the bodyguard, shaking with an involuntary reaction, as his body reacted to Sean's.

"You're not Fox! You'll never take his place! Keep away from me. Damn you for being where you're not wanted! Just go!"

Alex pulled away, and fled to the solace of his own private corner of the house. Utterly miserable, Sean slowly pushed a bag full of his things and left the house. He found a cab and reported back, eventually, to the Embassy compound. To enter the soul destroying world of diplomatic intrigue and danger. He determined to request a transfer back to England. All that was left to him now was the desolate seclusion of his own traitorous thoughts, and the sexual longing that seemed to burn in his blood now. A hopeless craving for the thing that Alex and Mulder had known. Intimacy, and partnership. He could have accepted it, if one of the two men had offered him what he needed, but both had rejected him. Now there was only one who could make him feel complete, and that alternative was unacceptable to him.

Kulain!

xx

Alex had, for once, stunned Skinner. The A.D. had anticipated that a "power hungry rat" like Alex Krycek would be eager to seek his own advancement in the struggle for advantage that had taken over the lives of most Washington bureaucrats as the new power structure in the Capital was thrashed out. Though Kulain seemed content to leave most government departments intact, strange rumours were circulating about Defence and Scientific areas of government. And Alex Krycek could surely use his phenomenal contacts to get himself a top position, either off Kulain, or any department seeking a demon advisor. So what did the little rat do? He requested a job out of Washington! "As far away from Kulain as possible...," he had said.

With a sigh, Skinner had complied. As it happens, he needed an investigator to check out certain disturbing rumours circulating in the Las Vegas area, which was experiencing the boom of the century, as frightened citizens partied until they dropped, trying to ignore the uncertainties of the future. Apparently, there had been a number of disturbing disappearances, more than might be expected, even among such a heaving mass of humanity. Skinner suspected that at least one human predator was stalking the crowds, and Alex had proved himself a competent investigator on previous occasions. So Alex headed West.

xx

The President scowled at his advisors, his face purpling with rage.

"So you're telling me we have to let that slit eyed monster dictate terms to us! The American people won't stand for it. Changing the structure of government so that he gets to control all scientific research! Laws giving demons civil rights! A veto on all law and defence matters! It's outrageous. And this last one is totally bizarre.... legal partnership status for all homosexual and cross species relationships. What he really means is to give legal protection to the dirty traitor he's sleeping with!"

"Sir, you agreed to this." The Attorney General reminded his outraged superior. "We may not like the changes he's making, but at least he's willing to work within the legal system to get his way. There aren't really any devastating new laws here. And it's a small price to pay for his protection. We need him sir! He keeps the other demons in check, and besides which, I don't know if any of our forces could face him. The demons know how to control us now."

"It's okay!" The Texan Defence Secretary agreed. "At least he doesn't want a virgin sacrifice every day, or a regular supply of tasty mortals. Besides, I've known him for longer than anyone else here, and I think he can be trusted to keep us safe. He's also phenomenally clever, our scientists could learn an awful lot from him, maybe it'll even give us a strategic advantage."

The president bowed his head in defeat. "What about New York and Delaware?" he queried.

"There have been no reports of demons outside their zones. I'm not surprised though. They have enough people to keep them occupied for years. And the killing seems to be abating. They've started to build what we think are city walls, around the Delaware site. I should add that we can't even begin to match the technology they're using."

The Attorney General waited until the Texan had concluded his risk assessment then added, "Most Americans are just waiting to see what happens next Sir. They trust you. If you show any lack of confidence in Kulain, it'll be like lighting the blue touchpaper and standing back. The country would explode. There would be total anarchy, and the right wing militia would take over in a lot of states."

The President reached for his pen and signed the new articles of law. Congressional approval was not required, since, officially, Washington was no longer American territory. He turned, however, to the head of the CIA, after his two most trusted advisors had left.

"Bill, I want your researchers in Area 51 to see what they can come up with. I want a foolproof way to kill demons. Maybe something biological that will wipe them all out. And I want a cure for their damned virus. Take whatever resources you need, I'll give you carte blanche and an open purse. Let's nail those bastards!"

xx

Mulder nestled into the warmth of Kulain's side with a blissful smile. Last night, like the many before it had been spectacular. When Kulain was getting what he wanted, he really knew how to share his pleasure. If it hadn't been for his remarkably efficient, demon enhanced body, Mulder doubted if he could have sat down for a week. As sole recipient of Kulain's affections, it stretched him in more ways than one to satisfy the demon's appetites. The number of times he had come last night still astounded him. Alex would never believe him..... And there, the day seemed to darken, as he remembered that Alex wasn't around any more. He caught his breath in a sob.

Luckily, at that moment, his mobile phone went off.

"Mulder here!" He answered reflexively, though nowadays, it was rarely likely to be anyone other than a reporter or a sycophantic government official, seeking some kind of deal. They all approached him. Hardly surprising. At least he was human and Kulain still scared them too much. But this early morning call was personal.

"Fox. I need you to come and see me. It's your mother here. There have been some problems at home since you decided to....... er...... well..... Please. Your cousin Jo has been attacked. We need your help!"

Mulder listened to his mother's frantic pleading with growing alarm. It wasn't like her to get hysterical. In fact, at times she was the coolest head in the family. That was part of the problem. But he couldn't let her down. And Jo, the youngest member of his immediate family, was special. A clever and sparkling teenager, when younger, she had always followed him around like a devoted puppy dog. An easy victim for his many enemies.

"I'll be there as soon as I can Mom. Don't worry. I'm not going to let anyone else bother you!"

Mulder slipped his phone back onto the table and frowned. He was supposed to be meeting the Attorney General this morning about the new laws. Which he found, to his surprise, to be incredibly enlightened. Kulain had more of a grasp of justice than he had realised, and of the twenty or so new statutes, some even corrected flaws in the American justice system.

Kulain sat up, watching his thoughtful lover with sharpening interest.

"Problems?" he queried.

"Uh-huh." Mulder nodded. "I've got to get out to my family's home today. But I've got that business later. I'll never make it back in time!"

"You will, if I insist on an early meeting." Kulain smiled slyly. His suggestions had the weight of law among the scurrying bureaucrats. No- one wanted to risk the demon's wrath. "Then perhaps we can drive there in your new sports car," Kulain said softly. "I enjoy the feel of wind on my face, after all of the offices I have to visit."

Mulder smiled at his lover, the offer of support was generous, considering the pressure Kulain faced in the task of his self imposed governorship. "My family will probably freak out, but I guess you'll need to meet them sometime."

Boy, was his mother going to get a surprise. As if Alex hadn't been enough of a shock! She knew who he was seeing, of course, all of Washington knew who its demon lord favoured the most. And what exactly Mulder did to earn his trust. But to actually be face to face with Kulain himself, the demon lord of Washington, and the being who, figuratively speaking, held the government by the balls! It made for an interesting morning.

xx

Sean could remember better assignments. Lots of them, in fact. Due to his recent "ill-health", he was on a low priority case, guarding a Japanese business man who had pissed off some alleged cult in his home country. He was assigned as a watchdog, just in case..... It wasn't even in London. No, Mr. Takamoto had to complete a deal in the burgeoning North Eastern computer industry. So they were in Newcastle, trying to buy up the remnants of a closed down microchip factory which had been closed, less than nine months after opening, due to the latest recession. Sean hated the weather, the constant visits to night-clubs where the clientele were twenty years younger than Takamoto, and the frothy beer. Last night had been typical, a trip to a cruise liner turned night-club, moored on the River Tyne, where his charge had picked up a likely lass and thrown his money round like water. Sean was close to throwing in the towel and giving up his job.

Then this morning, his long time colleague Liz Shore had turned up on the doorstep with a replacement for him. A younger man, fresh from training, who would take over on the Takamoto job while he and Liz went on "special assignment." To be honest, at that point, Sean would have done anything to relieve the boredom.

xx

Kulain had been right in insisting that they took the new car that he had given to his lover. Mulder enjoyed cruising down the highways immensely. There had only been one doubtful incident, when a patrol car had buzzed them, cruising up close behind them and giving them a close inspection. Mulder had slowed the car to a more respectable speed, and allowed them to pull the car over. A swaggering, big bellied cop had come alongside, and had rested his hand on his gun butt, whilst he looked scornfully at the city boys in their fast car. Kulain had looked back for a long moment, then raised his sunglasses, so that slit pupilled eyes were revealed. Mulder had to admit that being with a demon was a great way to avoid speeding tickets. He doubted that the cop had ever moved so fast in his life. Anywhere, as long as it was away from the readily recognisable demon lord, whose face had been on a thousand t.v. reports, magazines and newspapers over the past few weeks. Mulder had driven well over halfway to his destination before he stopped laughing.

xx

Kulain looked with approval at his Fox. His lover was fairly stable and self confident at the moment, despite his problems. Mainly due to his heavy reliance on Kulain. The drive and the change of scene were remarkably restorative for his lover. It was the first time he had seen Mulder laugh in weeks, and there was a becoming flush to Fox's skin that stirred desires deep inside him. He reluctantly forced the feelings away for now. Later, he would ensure that Fox was reduced to whimpering ecstasy, but at the moment, he was content to watch the beautiful face light up in pleasure again. He would really have to get one of his other "humans" back, restricting his desires to one human was torture, Fox alone could not sate him, he needed at least two lovers for that. Alex could wait for the moment, but Sean urgently required a firm hand to gentle him. Too long away from his peers, and Sean would convince himself to believe the illusion of independence. And his education in the pleasures Kulain could offer him was pleasing to contemplate

Their arrival at Mulder's family home was unexpected in its repercussions. Mainly because they weren't the first to get there. A couple of squad cars and a t.v. van were already ensconced outside the Martha's Vineyard home where his mother had hoped to avoid a public spectacle. Mulder hadn't really given a thought to what would happen to anyone in his family when his liason became public knowledge. They were already calling him a traitor to humanity, in some of the more militant corners of the country. Despite the fact that Kulain had publicly disclosed Mulder's moderating influence on his behaviour.

It was obvious, from the first moment that Mulder pulled up outside the house, that there had been trouble. One of the windows was smashed, and had been covered by a thick wooden board. And someone had painted a message in bright red paint, across the front of the door.

Judas

As Mulder sat in the car, staring, he heard Kulain growl deep in his throat. Green eyes glowed in rage. At the same instant, the spectators caught sight of him. More than one face paled. Mulder couldn't really blame them. The sight of Kulain, angry, was more than intimidating, it was terrifying. He stepped out of the car at Mulder's side, and strode towards the frightened humans. The lead cop, quailing, looked into the demon lord's face and audibly swallowed. Brave of him to stand his ground.

"Who did this?" Kulain's snarl commanded a response. Shaking, the cop began to babble answers.

"I....er....That is.... Some men were caught last night. They were drunk......"

Mulder decided it was time to intervene. He quickly grabbed Kulain's arm and pulled him away from the luckless man.

"Please, don't! It wasn't his fault! It's not like the damage can't be repaired...."

"And your cousin?" Kulain gently detached Mulder's fingers from his arm. "Fox, they challenge my authority with this. There is a lesson they must learn."

He turned to the local t.v. reporter who was watching, agog at the unexpectedly juicy story that had suddenly materialised. Kulain beckoned the reporter and cameraman closer.

"Reporters like interviews, don't they? How would you like an exclusive interview with me?" Speechless for once, the nervous looking young reporter nodded frantically. "Go and see to your family Fox. I won't attack anyone! But I will have something to say to the people who threaten those under my protection!"

Leaving Kulain talking to the camera, Mulder went up to the door of his home and let himself into the house.

He walked straight into the sort of family argument that made him wish that he had a ravening demon or three to occupy him, it would be easier to cope with. The main cause of strife was Jo's father, his uncle, who was an active Republican, and had no time for fools, queers or enemies of the American way of life. Unfortunately, he considered Fox Mulder to be all three, and was enraged at having to defend his nephew and the family honour. His mother was, as usual, changeable and defensive. His aunt was tearful and Jo was sitting, facing the door with a face like thunder. She was the only one who actually supported Mulder. Why the hell did he have to have such a dysfunctional family?

Mulder's arrival on the scene did nothing to calm the situation. No sooner had he walked through the door, when his uncle, spying a new target, had launched into a tirade about Mulder.

"You sorry son of a bitch. Weren't you satisfied with breaking your mother's heart, with the last little shit you were sleeping with? No! You had to go one better. Find someone who makes Hitler look good, and fuck him in public so that the whole world knows you're a queer....."

"Please dear..... It's not his fault....." His mother feebly tried to defend him. Mulder's uncle looked as though he was going to explode, his face brick red with rage.

"Look what your perversions have done to this family!" He roared. "Jo had to have fifteen stitches in her face last night. Some kids at her school decided to express their opinions about you. The stupid little fool tried to defend you and got a broken bottle in the face for her trouble. You can't deny that's your fault. She might be scarred for life because of you!"

"Look......" Mulder started to protest. "I'm so sorry about Jo. But I haven't done anything wrong......"

"Oh that's a great help!" He opened his mouth to launch into another round of arguments. Fortunately for all concerned, at that moment the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it," his aunt said. "I expect it's those reporters again."

Mulder's uncle advanced on him, until he was inches away from Mulder. He jabbed one large finger into his nephew's chest. Mulder felt a sense of helplessness. The only response he could think of was to fight or run. Having demon blood didn't seem to help this situation.

"So how are you going to deal with this, you little fuck! Maybe you can offer your ass to your big, bad friend in Washington, and get him to fix things. How does it feel to whore for a living?"

Mulder flinched. He desperately fought down the urge to shift, to rend and tear at the source of the pain. It would be so easy to let go..... To open himself up to the darkness that surged inside him. The part of himself he had kept suppressed since that cataclysmic night with Sean.....

Jo gasped, and Mulder turned to see his aunt swaying, white faced, in the doorway.

"Fox....." she whispered. "Your friend is here....." She moved aside, and Kulain entered the room. His green, slit pupilled eyes swept over its inhabitants, and narrowed slightly in concern when he sensed his lover's distress.

The small group of humans stared back at Kulain, like deer caught in a hunter's headlights.

"So," he said softly. "You want me to fix things, do you?" He inspected Mulder's uncle coldly. "What exactly do you think I should do, in return for this admittedly delicious piece of ass?" He winked at Mulder, who sighed in relief. Kulain had, of course, heard most of their argument, but he was apparently amused by such idiotic bigotry. Mulder felt immediately reassured by his presence. Kulain moved towards Mulder, and gently rested his hands on his lover's shoulders. Mulder closed his eyes for a moment. With just a touch, Kulain had made him feel so much safer. It felt as though the demon was standing between him and disaster. He let the darkness sink back down inside him, and leaned against his lover, uncaring of what the others thought.

"Come on Fox. Why don't you get me some of your mother's famous coffee blend? I've heard so much about it....."

Mulder let himself be led into the kitchen, and made himself concentrate on the familiar tasks of making fresh coffee. Soon, he and his lover were both sitting with hot mugs of the beverage, around the kitchen table. One of the few human tastes Kulain had developed. Mulder felt as if he were in a crazy dream. Kulain must have felt it too. He smiled.

"I think this is what Alex would call a happy domestic scene." Kulain raised the mug. "He would of course laugh at us!"

"Yeah!" Mulder said softly. Someone at the door cleared her throat in query. Jo.

"I think I'm the only one with guts enough to come in here Fox." She glanced shyly at Mulder's companion. "Is it okay? They've sent me to parley..." Mulder nodded tiredly. Kulain looked at the girl with interest. He could see the slight family resemblance between the two humans. And both appeared to be the stubborn sort. He rose and walked towards the human. She paled, but stood her ground. A long finger reached out to touch the curving, stitched up wound that marred the side of her face. Dark fire seemed to blaze for an instant, then he drew back his hand. The injury was gone, as if it had never been.

"Ask your father if that will suffice," he said softly. "And I can provide him with a new house in Washington, if he places himself under my protection." Wide eyed, Jo nodded.

After she left, Mulder felt so relieved. She would be safe now, thanks to Kulain. Mulder found himself across the room and wrapped in his lover's arms in the space of a heartbeat. They kissed with increasing fierceness, as Mulder pressed himself closer.

Oh god, he wanted Kulain right now. Here. In his mother's kitchen. He was rubbing himself almost frantically against the demon now, aware of the effect he had. Kulain always made things better, always supported him. He carried the thought down into the dark place with him as he lost himself in the fires of Kulain's touch.

At some point Mulder had fallen to his knees before his dark lord, and Kulain drew his lover's head closer for that particular form of veneration that his human adored, with lips and the fierce furnace of his mouth. And when the door to the kitchen opened, Mulder didn't even hear it, surrendering himself to the taste of his lover's body.

Kulain gazed coldly at the spectator, then allowed a chilly smile to display itself. He fondled Fox's busy head, and as his eyes darkened in the heat of his passion, the horrified watcher fled.

xx

Alex lay naked on top of the covers of his bed, in a Las Vegas hotel. He had been contemplating the future with misery. A life without Fox was unthinkable, even if he had behaved adulterously with Sean. At least it had happened only once. Alex closed his eyes. He could see them, even now. Mulder thrusting vigorously into the bodyguard's inexperienced body, Sean's moans of ecstasy as he was taken so powerfully. It was no surprise to Alex to feel himself growing hard. Somehow the sight of them fucking like that had wormed its way into his fantasies. He hated himself for it. And he wanted to be the one writhing beneath Mulder, wrapping his legs around his lover. He could understand Mulder's fascination with Sean. The man was very attractive, perhaps because of his very inexperience. Alex wondered if he could share Fox with any other human. Perhaps. If there was no other way. His hand slid down to rub at his growing erection. It would be interesting to have Sean go down on him, whilst Mulder took him from behind. Yes, that did the trick. His cock rose in approval, and bobbed against his belly. Sighing in guilty pleasure, he began to stroke himself.

He could almost hear Mulder moaning, feel the muscular arms around him. And as his hand squeezed and pulled at the fullness of his erection, he could almost see the hot mouth he would plunge into. He would show Sean who was allowed to sleep with Mulder. It wasn't hate he felt for Sean, but he wasn't sure exactly what he would call this feeling. Jealously though, he would keep Sean busy so that he wouldn't have time to seek out Mulder....

Then with a hoarse sob, he came, rearing upwards, his body jerking rhythmically upwards as he rode the orgasm, semen jetting up onto his belly and chest. But it wasn't like loving Mulder. There would be no insistent tongue licking him clean tonight. No second round lying on his belly as he was fucked so deeply that his climax made him faint. No arms holding him afterwards in warm contentment. Not even in his dreams.

Alex sighed in loneliness, and flopped back onto the bed. It was then that the something on the low murmuring of the t.v. penetrated his mind. It was Kulain. Evidently, he was giving one of his rare interviews, and it had made the prime time news. Green eyes icily stared into the camera lens. Alex dived for the remote, and turned the volume up. Just the sound of his demon lover's voice was erotic.

"This is Ricky Martin here in Martha's Vineyard with the Lord of Washington himself, Kulain. Sir I understand you want to make a statement....."

Alex sat up straighter. Why was Kulain there, where Mulder's family lived? Had something happened? The camera panned outwards to show the damage to Mulder's family home, while Kulain's voice spoke.

"I place Fox Mulder's family under my personal protection. If anyone harms them again, or attempts to harass them, I will have them killed. I will take care of it personally. I have no quarrel with anyone else, but I will eliminate all challenges to my authority in this matter."

He sounded cold, precise and deadly. Alex shivered. That would make him even less popular among humans, though Alex agreed with the sentiment. But he had missed the rest of the report. Grabbing his bedside phone, he quickly called Mulder's ever present mobile. After a moment, Fox answered.

"Fox! It's Alex! Is everyone alright? I just caught the news...."

"Alex...... Yeah, we're okay. Kulain had to heal Jo, she was attacked. That's what all the fuss is about." Mulder sounded surprised, but then his tone became warmer

"But you're okay Foxy?" He couldn't keep the anxiety out of his voice.

"Apart from being bawled out by my family, yes, I'm alright. I..... Listen Alex, thanks for calling."

Alex sighed softly, knowing Mulder would hear. "I still care Foxy. You ought to know that. I'm still wearing your ring, aren't I. If I hated you, I would have thrown it back at you."

Mulder was very quiet. Then he laughed softly. "We do get into the craziest fights, don't we?"

"I don't want to fight any more," Alex said plaintively, "I want to make up. You know how good that bit is!"

"I'd like that!" Mulder said gently. "When you get back from Las Vegas..... Till then, it's just me on my own in this big bed...... Kulain's had to go on a trip to England."

"Tell me what you're going to do to me when I get back...." Alex purred huskily, and let his hand move down slowly again, towards his newly resurgent erection.

Sean had spent the last week in training with Liz and a group of five other bodyguards, training and honing their skills in preparation for the visit of a top secret VIP who was involved in some sort of treaty negotiations with the British government. Whatever it was, and most of his colleagues speculated that it was an Irish issue, it was highly classified. None of the bodyguards had been allowed to leave the training area at all for the past week, and personal calls were forbidden. The last time Sean had seen security like that was for a secret meeting between the Russian and American presidents. His group were being trained to act as a team, a single flawless unit, who would have total control over security for the person, whoever he/she was. They would be assisted on the perimeter by police and Special Branch. But in essence, they had to eat, sleep and breathe in the company of their charge. Total Immersion, it was called. Nothing was allowed to distract them from their single purpose.

To Sean's utter surprise, he had been placed in charge of the squad, though he would have to answer to his superior if anything went wrong. But the planned visit had an elegant simplicity that made their jobs easier. The "ambassador" would arrive at the ultra expensive country house hotel, and would stay there for two days, having the necessary negotiations in the building, and the only guests would be their charge and the ministers he was meeting. Sean wasn't sure how this individual was arriving, but once there, was his charge. And even he didn't know what the transport arrangements were, or who his charge was. All his boss would say was, "You'll see! And you'll immediately know why we have all the security precautions!"

Sean gathered his team at the assembled time, and they fanned out within range of the large hotel lobby, waiting the arrival with curiosity. The Deputy Prime Minister was waiting there too, which underlined the importance of this meeting. Sean had to admit that he was just as interested to know what the mystery was about. Perhaps it was the return of his status that had made him feel so much better, but lately he was beginning to find life interesting again. The strange longings he had felt for so long seemed to be fading, and Washington was just a distant bad dream. So unlike anything English. There were no demons here to disturb the peace of the countryside. Though a small, nagging voice whispered in the back of his mind that perhaps he was the exception to that rule.

The sudden flare of light, lightning bright in the hotel entrance, stunned him. His hand reached automatically for his gun. The light died, as quickly as it had appeared, and a dark figure walked in through the doorway. The newcomer surveyed the room before him, taking in all of its occupants at a glance. Sean gasped in recognition, and for a moment, found himself unable to respond to the shouted inquiries in his earpiece, from his team. Common sense finally asserted itself, when the Deputy P.M. moved forward, a patently false smile of greeting on his face. Sean managed to get his team back under control, and muttered instructions to them to check the ground floor entrances and the conference room. Then he followed the minister and Kulain into the meeting and bolted the big doors as per his instructions.

Kulain was amused. He had expected the Cigarette Smoking Man to take a hand in his life again soon, the man was nothing if not persistent. And the human's devious nature had asserted itself, true to form. He pretended to ignore Sean, who was leaning against the wall, periodically muttering queries into his throat mike, while he maintained security. As it happened, the way Sean had been deliberately given this assignment by his nemesis was exactly what he had been hoping for when he requested the meeting. And the British government, more attuned to its own advantage than the Americans, and also less well armed, were pleased to confer with him. He planned to extend his influence here in due course, so the timing of the meeting was beneficial.

But Sean.... Beautiful, sensuous Sean. Who was trying not to look at Kulain, though sharp demon senses could smell the beginnings of his arousal, even through the interference of cigar smoke and the slight odour of fear that clung to these humans. Briefly, Kulain allowed his eyes to flicker upwards, intersecting Sean's gaze as his eyes surveyed the room. Kulain let the trace of a smile show, and enjoyed the slight flush that rose across the bodyguard's cheeks. He loved the game of seduction, it was so much like a hunt. With a prize he could sink his teeth into at the end, metaphorically speaking. Kulain let the game continue.

Sean was finding it hard to concentrate. Twice he had missed a cue from his team, and Liz sounded irate. Kulain was playing with him, he knew it instinctively. And it wasn't hard to feel anger or hatred for the demon. Messing up his life like this. But that didn't stop the heat from slowly consuming him, the sudden tightness of his pants, and the constriction of his shirt. A disturbing urge came over him to pull his clothes open to expose his neck and upper chest. Awkwardly, he ran a finger inside his shirt collar, and out of the corner of his eye, saw Kulain's mouth twitch.

He knows

Angrily, Sean forced his mind back onto the job, and it was only by force of will that he stayed professional until the end of that day's interminable negotiations. Then he and Liz could take a break until midnight, to eat and rest, before they once again took over protection duties. But there was still the darkest part of the night to get through.

xx

A cold shower helped. Sean was beginning to dread being in the same room as Kulain.

Not that any of his team were cowards, but none of them wanted to be close to a demon. But someone had to guard the room he had been given. Sean had volunteered to do that particular duty even before he knew who he was guarding. And now he was stuck with the duty. To remain alone with Kulain in a hotel suite for six hours, in the middle of the night......

Oh god, how am I going to get through this....

Liz smiled sympathetically.

"He's really not so bad, Sean. The early shift reported that he seemed quite civilised. Even ordered room service for them!"

How could he tell the colleague who he respected that it wasn't the demon he was scared of, so much as himself. He shivered. The memory of being pressed down into the rubble by the weight of that incredible body. Of a tongue probing his mouth with casual force.

No. NO!

Somehow he forced his body to behave, and by the time he knocked at the suite, he was more or less in control. His colleague greeted him with relief, and Sean assumed his position inside the door. Kulain, mercifully, was behind the closed door of the bedroom. And so he was safe, for the moment.

xx

At three o clock in the morning, Sean's mind was beginning to drift. The periodic check ins by his associates were all clear. Sean was leaning back against the door and relaxing. He was tired, but not unduly so. But there was a nagging little voice inside him that told him he should really check on Kulain's safety. It was supposed to be his duty. Guiltily, he moved towards the bedroom door and opened it. In the darkness, he couldn't see a thing, so hesitantly he moved into the gloom of the bedroom. As his eyes adjusted to the dimness, he realised that the bed was empty.

"I knew you would come Sean." Kulain's voice sounded low and erotic, somewhere behind him in the darkness. And before the young bodyguard could move, a hand slid slow and provocative, down his spine and between his legs. And suddenly he was helplessly pressing himself against it, arching his back like a cat in heat, opening himself to the touch, moaning, powerless to stop himself.

"Yes! I know what you need" Kulain's mouth was near his cheek, close enough to feel the warmth of his breath. And hands were pulling at his clothes, his fingers and Kulain's. Baring him to Kulain's burning gaze, as glowing green eyes savoured their prize. How long had he waited in the darkness for Sean? As long as it took! Kulain's patience was inhuman.

Sean would finally be his. Already, as he pressed up against the human from behind, relishing the contours of his skin beneath taloned fingers, Sean was losing the last shreds of control. He began to make small whimpering cries, insistently pushing his ass against the demon in entreaty. Presenting himself like a bitch in heat, waiting for the stud to take possession. Kulain wasn't going to refuse such a tempting invitation. He pushed Sean towards the bed, and made the human kneel, upper body over the bed, his ass over the edge and his legs stretched wide. The tenor of Sean's cries changed, became more pleading, more insistent. Humans were so delightful when they were ready to be fucked within an inch of their lives. In a single powerful thrust, he penetrated the bodyguard, pushing himself all the way in. It was immensely satisfying.

Sean wasn't able to think, or reason any more. He was at the centre of a maelstrom of fire, his senses bombarded with conflicting sensation. The faint heady scent of his lover, that made him forget who he was, what he was supposed to be there for. The light, erotic trail of talons down his back. The strangely distant throb of his body where it had been stretched wide. But above all the virility that powered its way inside him in exquisite fiery thrusts, as strong arms held him down. He never wanted it to stop, but his body had its own agenda, which seemed to involve wild, screaming surrender. And enthusiastic co-operation, so that he was instinctively moving in harmony with his lover.

He had been lost the moment Kulain first touched him, and instinct had made his body yield.

This was not like Mulder. That had been terrifying as well as enlightening. He wasn't afraid of the demon, though he didn't understand why. It was glorious. Wondrous. Like finding part of himself that he hadn't known was missing. And he answered the call of his blood as best he could.

The human's movements had become frantic, and Kulain savoured Sean's tiny sobs as he pushed himself onto Kulain's cock with every sign of enjoyment. He decided to be generous this time, and increased his pace, to bring the human off sooner. No point in blowing Sean's mind open quite yet. Let him grow accustomed to being tamed first. Kulain would ensure that there were plenty more opportunities for his human to be tutored in the finer pleasures of demon sex.

For Sean, the world exploded. He felt his body slam against Kulain, as he came endlessly. He was soaring through space as fireworks detonated inside his head. A wetness surged against his belly, then he heard Kulain groan, and he was flooded with the demon's hot seed.

Utterly spent, he sagged into Kulain's embrace, as he was pulled closer, his head finding a resting place against Kulain's chest. As the aftershocks of pleasure faded he sighed in contentment. Kulain gently kissed his forehead, and he drifted in bliss, dimly aware of Kulain's murmured endearments.

Sleep came almost immediately.

xx

Tiamat rubbed her hands in glee. Her spies were most efficient, and she knew that Kulain was fully occupied in the seduction of another human. How weak, to actually persuade a human to co-operate. Why not just take what he wanted? But now one of Kulain's other pets was unguarded. It was finally time to take revenge on her hated rival. And it would be done in such a way that he would never suspect her involvement. Kulain was predictable, so he would bring about his own downfall. And perhaps she would even keep the little pet for her own amusing games. How delightfully he would scream....

xx

Unless there is genetic intervention by new technology or deliberate breeding programs over many thousands of years—both of which options properly ring alarm bells in our society—further evolution of Homo sapiens is probably at an end.

Richard Leakey (1992)

xx

Tiamat smiled seductively at the young man. He was a handsome blonde, in his early twenties, with a boyish charm and a slender yet muscular build that she found attractive. Though her tastes didn't normally run to humans, this one had an edge of innocence about him that she delighted in contemplating. Putting temptation in his path hadn't been difficult. He looked slightly shy, and was more than a little overwhelmed that this apparently sophisticated woman, beautiful and elegant, wanted him. It was simple to get him to follow her to a private suite. She smiled at him.

When a predator shows its teeth in any circumstances, friendship is not its intention.

A touch, leading into more intimate caresses. Kissing him. Tasting him Running her fingers through the pale blonde hair and wondering what colour the blood would dye it. Wrapping her legs round him, and forcing him onto the bed. Satisfying her body's craving for sex. Then shifting, becoming serpentine, and crushing the life from his so frail human body. Then she satisfied her other hunger, as she must do at least once a week.

The body would be dumped in the trash tomorrow by one of her loyal workers. No need to make drones of them, they were quite happy to work for money. And besides, though they didn't know what she was, they had seen the remains that came out of her room each time she fed. None of them would challenge her, they were not that foolish.

Kulain and the others had their towers. But she had her hotel. Or should that be "hunting ground."

xx

Alex Krycek frowned in concentration, silently absorbing the information held in the stack of reports, as he sat in the Vegas field office. Though a couple of the local agents seemed wary of his presence on this case, his reputation was apparently untarnished in this part of the world. No-one knew of his connection with Kulain, although they knew he was some kind of supernatural expert. It was probably just as well. He hated to think what the reaction would be. Although apathy and fear held most of the population in America in check, if barely, here in the sin capital of the west, life was lived on the edge. A sizeable percentage of the population seemed to think the Apocalypse was nigh, and the devil was coming to pull them down to hell. Alex could have told them it was underrated. But if the end of the world was coming, a lot of people wanted to end their existence partying. The city of Las Vegas was overflowing with vast crowds out to spend their money before it was too late. And gamble or fuck their way into oblivion.

The reverse side of the coin was present too. There were also countless harbingers of disaster, millennium cults gone mad, and prophets of doom. The churches were overflowing too, often with gamblers fresh off the tables, having lost their life savings, and now consumed with guilt and remorse. You couldn't walk a block down the street without being offered your heart's desire and your soul's damnation.

And somewhere in this maelstrom stalked a vicious killer, who had left bodies inexplicably crushed to pulp and half eaten into the bargain. Bones had been shredded into paste as it they had been wrapped in a giant hand. Most of the victims had been healthy, handsome young men who should have been able to fight off or run from a normal attacker. And oddly, several of the victims showed signs of sexual activity at the time of their deaths.

The agent in charge of the case, Vince Cassidy, had done a lot of groundwork on tracking the movements of the murder victims, and had come up with a promising lead. All of the men had been seen in the vast entertainment and gambling complex adjoining the Tropical Palace Hotel. This was a huge new enterprise that presented a jungle theme in its decor and shows. It was also one of the world's largest hotels, with over two thousand rooms and its own shops, churches and at least five swimming pools. All overflowing with guests at the moment, as hard to scrutinise as grains of sand on a beach.

"The management has kept us the surveillance tapes from the hotel, for the night of the last murder," Cassidy said. "But you can see how big the problem is. Three hundred separate cameras and three agents assigned to the case. Unfortunately, with this demon thing, crime rates have risen about three hundred percent, as every nut in the city decides to get some action. We're stretched to the limits just trying to keep order, let alone find a serial killer." He looked penetratingly at Alex. "I've been told you're an expert in the paranormal. You think one of our demon "friends" did this?

Alex shrugged. "Could be. But it would be a treaty violation if it was them. I don't even want to think about that"

"Yeah!" Cassidy said. "This treaty keeps them penned up, doesn't it. Except for the one in Washington. You ever seen one in the flesh Krycek?"

"Have I....." Alex hesitated, unsure of his response. "Yes, I've had a few confrontations that you might call interesting...."

xx

Sean drowsed, enclosed in pleasant warmth. He couldn't remember exactly how, but he had ended up in bed, with a body lying next to his, a muscular arm wrapped round his waist, and a strong presence pressed up against him reassuringly, along the length of his back. He had such a feeling of contentment. And he knew that it was Kulain.

Why had he fought so hard against this sweetness? He must have been crazy.

Something vaguely wrong began to impinge on his consciousness. A buzzing, crackling noise just on the edge of his perceptions. Not in itself alarming, but misplaced in the snug world of Kulain's embrace. Something he had forgotten...?

What was that noise?

It was no use. Now that it was on his mind, he would have to solve the mystery. His mindset demanded it. He pushed at the heaviness of Kulain's arm, intending to climb out of the bed and track down the noise.

The door burst inwards, and Liz, his partner on tonight's operation burst in, gun held ready.

Shit! He had missed the five o'clock check in. The full security sweep would have been initiated.

And he saw the small headset he usually wore, lying on the floor at Liz's feet, alive with the static of his team calling out responses to the security alert. He couldn't even remember losing it, in the heat of his passion.

Liz stood still, disbelieving, unable to take in what she saw before her. Her friend and supervisor in bed with his client, who just happened to be a demon, and one of the most infamous beings alive. She lowered her gun slowly, and spoke a quick assurance into her mike, letting the team know there was an all clear. No threat.

Kulain sat up langourously, and gently rested his hands on Sean's shoulders. He inspected Liz coolly, then gave a wicked smile. And placed a kiss on Sean's shoulder, just where it met his neck. Sean couldn't help it. Kulain knew how to play his body like a musical instrument, and Sean arched up sensuously against the conquering mouth, moaning at the surge of fire those lips trailed over his skin.

Liz gasped, and abruptly turned and fled into the outer suite.

Pulling away from Kulain was one of the hardest things Sean had ever done. And in the end, he knew he had only succeeded because Kulain let him go. Dazed at the speed events were taking, he fumbled on his clothes, and followed his colleague out of the room.

Kulain smiled fondly at his latest possession. Sean was one of the most responsive humans he had ever met. With a delightful naivete when it came to penetrative sex. But a vast enthusiasm once he understood what was required. Kulain eagerly anticipated the pleasures to come.

xx

Sean grabbed his colleague by the shoulder as she walked towards the door of the suite.

"Listen Liz. I can explain....."

"Explain! Sleeping with a client while you're on duty! Him! You must be crazy Sean!"

"No," he shook his head. "It's not like that at all. I love him!" The admission seemed to stun her. Hearing himself speak the three betraying words, Sean felt a growing wonder. It was true, he did love Kulain. When or how it had happened, he wasn't sure, but it was probably about the time Kulain had saved his life, fiercely defending him when he had hurt his leg. Had it really happened so quickly? Now what was he going to do?

"A one night stand, Sean! You are crazy!"

"Please Liz. Don't report this.... I need time to think this out....." He was close to pleading.

"You endangered us all Sean. I cant just ignore that. You're not the only one who needs to consider their position." Liz stormed out of the suite.

Liz Shore was furious. How could Sean throw away his career like that? She found it hard to believe that a man with an ex wife and small daughter could suddenly discover he preferred men. Was Kulain responsible for Sean's lapse, playing some kind of demon mind game to amuse himself? She felt out of her depth. Though she didn't want to betray her friend, she had to act, for his sake. Dialling the headquarters of the Diplomatic Protection Squad, and asked to speak to the head of their department. Such was their respect for her abilities that her call was forwarded immediately. Then began the hardest conversation of her career.

xx

The Cigarette Smoking man had an unexpected visitor. The one person he had never expected to see here voluntarily. It quite put the plot he was hatching around Sean out of his mind. He indicated to his attractive guest to sit, and steepled his fingers in front of him, waiting. Mrs. Mulder finally tired of his mind games, and glared at him in anger.

"You could have told me what my son was up to, before he got so involved with that monster in the Green Tower. It was bad enough meeting his first boyfriend, Alex. But I'm damned if I'm going to allow that monster in my home again. I saw what he wanted from my son. What he made Fox do, on his knees.....! Disgusting! I want him away from my son! I've given a daughter to the aliens, I'm not giving a son to the demons!"

"It's too late my dear. The moment Kulain touched Mulder, it was too late. I can do nothing."

"You've forgotten the pact we made all those years ago. The aliens swore to protect us. We paid a high enough price for it."

"They might listen. But they have their own agenda. You might not like their solutions."

"That's just another thing I'll have to live with."

xx

Alex prowled the vast amusement centre on the ground floor of the Tropical Palace Hotel, looking for anything at all that was out of the ordinary. He and the other agents assigned to the case could do little else at the moment. But two of the bodies had shown evidence of being here, they had both been carrying chips issued at this casino, one man having in excess of five thousand dollars worth. And the latest victim was a registered guest. So Alex had decided to check out the higher stakes area. Green eyes restlessly surveyed the milling crowds, extending senses to try and discern any wrongness. Alex knew that he would feel another demon, if he was close enough. And after seeing the pathetic corpses the killer had discarded, like cast off clothes, he wanted to catch the son of a bitch.

He made one wrong assumption though. Since, statistically, a huge percentage of serial murder was committed by male offenders, he was unconsciously looking for a man.

The killer watched him pass, turning to track the sleek, predatory animal who was Alex Krycek. He had changed since she last saw him. Kulain must have been tinkering with his genes again she mused. Last time he had been out of his depth and scared, as his body was just beginning to accept and adapt to its new modifications. But now, unconsciously, he wore his demon self like a cloak. There was an aura of danger that lingered around him, and his movements were supple and deadly. There was a new confidence about him though, that convinced her he had never faced an opponent quite of her calibre.

Oh, this was getting better and better. How easy it had proved to tempt one of Kulain's little pets here. And one as delicious as Alex Krycek. The stronger he was, the longer he would last when he was finally in her power. She turned away from the surveillance camera that was tracking his every move, and gave an instruction to one of her staff. An ambitious girl who knew how to please her boss in many ways, and whose loyalty had been assured. Then she rose and went to the window overlooking her domain. After she had convinced the local Mafia leaders to trust her, by various amusing tactics, she had gradually built up her empire. So that now she was the richest being in Nevada, and the owner of the Tropical Palace complex. Tiamat looked out over the buildings towards the setting sun and the desert. Where a new ally awaited, who had invited her to a meeting that night. And when she returned....... Alex!

xx

The call to report back to his head office in London was not unexpected. But Sean was disappointed nonetheless. Liz had chosen career over friendship. And he guessed that once the news of his small scandal leaked out, he wouldn't have any friends at all. Not because he was with a man, or even because he had let his squad down. But because Kulain wasn't human.

They hadn't even given him time to collect his things from the hotel. He was just bundled into a car and driven away at top speed, so that his disgrace couldn't embarrass the government any further. The men in the car with him were silent for the whole journey, ignoring his attempts to reason with them. They looked hard and ruthless, the sort of men that were asked to take charge of dirty secrets and dispose of them. Sean was unarmed, and he began to feel more and more uneasy as the journey progressed, ever southwards from the Northern counties, to the lusher, greener downs of Wessex. To the biological and chemical weapons research facility at Porton Down.

"What the hell....?" Sean stared at the signs on the security gate, as the car was waved past the checkpoint. He started to reach forward, intending to speak to the driver, something sharp jabbed into his arm and he knew no more.

xx

Alex had spent six hours prowling the public areas of the vast casino complex that was run by the hotel. And had come up with absolutely no leads. Now, as midnight approached, he was tired and irritable, and he decided to catch a couple of hours sleep. He had arranged for a room in the hotel, and had moved his stuff in earlier. At least he would be on the scene, if need be.

Just as he turned to head to his room, the sound of his mobile dragged his attention away from the much anticipated shower and rest. It was his contact, Cassidy.

"There's been another killing, Agent Krycek! This time they didn't even bother to move the body out of the complex. It was just left in one of the service corridors. Level E, zone 14. Just like the others, used up then crushed to death!"

"I'll be right there!" Alex slipped his mobile into his pocket and headed for the service lift. The killing had unluckily occurred at the other side of the complex.

Cassidy was a good investigator. Alex had little doubt that the latest murder was linked to the others. But he had sensed nothing amiss in all the hours he had prowled the huge complex. No tug of his senses or feelings of tension that would indicate something hellish stalked the corridors. Could it be a human killer? But his instincts all told him the opposite. His opponent was being careful then, avoiding attention, despite its taste for human flesh. It was almost as if it knew where he was, and deliberately kept out of his way......

His arrival at the crime scene interrupted that train of thought. Cassidy was bent over the pathetic, crumpled remains of a young blonde man, poking at them dubiously, puzzled by something. Alex joined him.

"See that!" Cassidy said. "It looks like whatever crushed him was covered with something rough, like sandpaper, maybe. He indicated the shredded shirt that partially covered the victim's chest.

"Not sandpaper!" Alex said softly. He lifted his head, as a trace of something other prickled at the edge of his perception. "Scales!"

xx

Alex rose to his feet, lithe and incredibly agile, his movements taking on an unmistakably inhuman quality. His eyes had flared green, and he felt the instinctive extension of demon talons from his fingertips. Cassidy had cried out in shock, had stared at Alex like the archetypal sheep ready for the slaughter. Of course! They hadn't seen demon abilities much in this part of the country. But he couldn't hide his instinctive reaction to his opponent, the hackle-raising involuntary reaction between two predators who clashed in the same domain. Demons were above all, territorial, and he was invading this one's space.

Alex grinned wryly at Cassidy, the effect not entirely reassuring, since there was a predatory air about him that made humans shiver in fear.

"Yeah, well! Some of us can pass as human when we want to." He lifted his head, eyes half closed, seeking the Other. A faint tug to the left. "Our killer is that way. He's finally showing himself. I'll try to track him."

Cassidy shivered, then pulled his scrambled thoughts together.

"Who are you really, Krycek? You cant work for the F.B.I."

Alex shrugged. "I do most days. But I guess the Lord of Washington calls the shots in the end." He realised that Kulain did rule him, in his heart anyway. Maybe when this was over, he would try to patch things up with his lover. He was always drawn back to those strong arms in the end.

"I'll let you know if I get him. Don't worry if you don't hear from me. I can look after myself quite well these days." Then Alex took off in a run down the corridor, shifting his body to tap into demon energy reserves, leaving the cops and crime scene workers gaping at him.

xx

Sean had awoken hours after his arrival at the Centre, naked and lying on an examination table, with a throbbing headache. He was in an isolation chamber, surrounded by doctors dressed in white bio-suits. A sign on the wall read "Level 4 Biohazard Area." Dizzily, he let the medical personnel do what tests they wanted, his sense of betrayal by Liz growing stronger. And twice, a needle was pushed into his arm, releasing an unknown drug into his body to keep him docile.

Finally, he was dressed in some blue garments that resembled paper but were far stronger. He guessed it was so that they could be burned easily. Dizzy and slightly disorientated by the drugs in his system, he was led by the same suited figures to an office, and was brought in front of an authority figure.

"Mr Sean Worrell," the man read. "A distinguished career in the Bodyguard business, until last night. Do you have any idea what you've done? You've put everyone around you at risk from a biological agent that the demons carry."

He flung some grim photos down in front of Sean. They showed a young blonde woman progressively turning into some kind of monster.

"Your boyfriend Kulain, His bite did that! It created some kind of infection that altered her genetic code beyond all recognition. We think all of his body secretions may be infectious. So you've been thoroughly checked out for your own good, and for Britain's safety."

He paused, and sighed. "I'm sorry Mr. Worrell. Our hypothesis has been confirmed. You've lost about twenty percent of your human genes already!"

Sean had known that he had changed, but there was something so stark about that statement. Slowly he raised his hands and extended his long claws, studying them.

The doctor's response was gratifying. He recoiled in terror, and pressed a button on the underside of his desk. Armed soldiers rushed in, and Sean found himself staring down the barrels of half a dozen rifles.

"So what happens to me now?" he whispered softly.

xx

Kulain stared coldly at Liz Shore, and she shivered under the intense gaze of the demon. Kulain was becoming increasingly hostile and his unfriendly expression had soon begun to affect the delicate negotiations that were supposed to be the reason for this meeting. So much so that even the Deputy Prime Minister, a consummate statesman and used to pressure, had soon begun to wilt under that inimical stare. A bit like a canary being watched by a cat. Kulain said nothing, merely listening to the humans' increasingly nervous babble. Finally, even the least sensitive of the politicians fell silent, swallowing nervously.

"Where is he?" Kulain said quietly.

xx

Alex prowled the service corridors now, trying to track down the irritating and elusive presence that he had sensed earlier. But like a ghost, the Other kept retreating before him, taunting him with its closeness one moment, then vanishing the next. Alex abruptly remembered his earlier suspicions about the killer, how it knew so easily where he was, even when they were out of range of each other's senses. Wary now, he glanced around him, and noticed what he had overlooked before, the internal security cameras for the hotel, that were tracking his every move. Doubt hardened into a certainty. Someone on the hotel staff was involved, possibly even the killer.

Alex headed for the control centre, the electronic heart of the hotel, for the moment ignoring the sense of the Other he felt near him. And within minutes, he felt the Other change tactics, and withdraw from his perception for the moment. Alex hesitated on the threshold of the Security Centre. Better not scare the humans round here. He quickly shifted back to humanity, hiding his demon self from view with more than a little regret. Like Mulder, he found himself drawn more and more to the exhilarating rush of demon blood, the enhanced demon senses that shifting brought. He could understand now how easily Mulder had lost control, and he was determined to talk out their problems when he got back to Washington, and home.

Predictably, the Security Chief was outraged when Alex questioned his staffs' veracity. As if he was personally being challenged. But something in his voice didn't ring true. Even if the man was telling the truth, Alex suspected he knew something else, that he was reluctant to discuss here in front of everyone. Then the Chief hissed quietly, "Meet me in ten minutes, outside!"

He was much more forthcoming in private.

"Something's going on around here alright. There have been big payoffs, and a few disappearances of people who get too curious. Someone powerful is involved. Go ask Tanya Bright, she's got plenty to hide!"

Alex finally had a solid lead, so he headed up towards the penthouse offices of Tanya Bright, the owner of the hotel. He had heard a lot about her in the few days he had spent here. A tireless worker and a thoroughly modern businesswoman, with a knack for twisting men round her little finger. So it was said. But he had sensed a nervousness about her, that he had dismissed as a wariness of losing their jobs, from the people he had questioned.

The penthouse offices were utterly luxurious. Deep pile carpeting, velvet drapes, and richly veined green serpentinite marble, imported from Cornwall, England. Beautiful, so why did it make him feel as if he was inside a lizard's mouth?

The secretary, a petite blonde woman wearing an exquisite Italian suit, was apologetic.

"I'm sorry, Agent Krycek. Ms. Bright isn't in at the moment. She had business to attend to, north of here. A new merger, I understand. She'll be back this evening though, if you want to schedule an appointment." Alex nodded, and turned to inspect the expensive artwork on the walls, as she checked her appointment diary. His attention was caught by a particularly repulsive old master on the wall opposite. It showed a representation of Dante's Inferno, something he remembered reading over Mulder's shoulder one day when his lover was eager to know more about demons. It showed a particularly nasty set of tortures devised for sinners by the imaginative mediaeval mind. Alex wondered what sort of mind would want that for their office.

"I can fit you in at six thirty," the secretary said with a sweet smile, when he once again turned towards her. She reached out her hand, and he grasped it politely, intending to thank her.

Something tiny jabbed at his right hand. Puzzled, he lifted it, to stare at the pin prick of blood on his palm. The secretary smiled sweetly, head on one side as she watched him. Her smile deepened, and abruptly, the sense of the other he had felt, returned in full force. Her eyes flared yellow. He moved towards her, intending to catch hold of her, cuff her.

But moving was like fighting his way through thick syrup, as if the air had turned solid. Then the office seemed to tilt. He found himself lying on the floor, with no clear memory of how he got there. His hand was throbbing, but even that was fading now. The last thing he heard was her charming musical laughter, then it too was gone.

xx

Alex awoke, disorientated. He couldn't seem to remember where he was, or how he had got there. Had he been drinking vodka last night? His body ached, and for some reason, his arms appeared to be stuck. Gradually his mind cleared, and he opened his eyes to stared around him. That was when he received the first shock. He was in a small room, utterly bare, with walls of exposed concrete blocks. It was quite chill, and in the distance he could hear the hum of a generator. He was awkwardly lying on a hard wooden bunk.

His wrists were both cuffed to the wall above his head.

For a moment Alex went wild, frantically tugging and trying to free himself. Trying to loosen the steel links that held him, like a wolf in a trap. He felt momentary panic, then sense reasserted itself. Mulder and Kulain would search for him if he didn't return Mulder's calls. Besides, if his unknown captors had wanted to kill him, he would be dead by now. He was obviously useful in some way. It wasn't the first time in Alex's career that he had been in such an unpromising situation.

Whoever had captured him knew how to hold demon prisoners, because they had used the special damned cuffs that the FBI had developed with Kulain and Amara's help. So his strength was useless.

The door opened. Alex looked up, intending to try and talk his way out of this mess. And found himself staring straight at Tiamat.

She enjoyed the way Krycek's eyes suddenly went very wide, his lips silently forming her name. He shrank back against the wall, as far away from her as possible. Of course his cuffed wrists limited his movement, and he couldn't go far. She savoured the triumph for a while, and sank onto the edge of his bunk, smiling in anticipation.

He moaned a little, delightfully. Someone should really teach him demon etiquette, he was unconsciously triggering all of her hunt/kill instincts by his frightened movements.

"Serve me Alex. I can give you half the world."

"Never!" he whispered. "Just kill me. Why don't you get it over with?"

"Alex, my sweet Alex. Serve me and I'll set you free...."

"You ought to know by now how loyal I am to Kulain! You know I'll never betray him."

Such defiance. Such fire. He would be so entertaining in the taming. She drew out the small container her ally had given her. Enough for one, he had said. Who better to act as an experimental subject?

"We'll see, dear Alex." She unfastened the lid of the container. "Sure you won't reconsider?" He spat out a denial, and laughing, she up-ended the container onto the bed.

Alex stared disbelievingly at the pool of black oil that formed on the wooden surface. His face blenched, and to her delight, Tiamat heard him whimper softly. The oil slowly began to run towards the agent. Alex shook his head instinctively in denial, then suddenly he was screaming in terror, desperately trying to escape, wrenching at the cuffs again and again, until his wrists were cut and bleeding.

The black oil touched his foot.

Abruptly, the oil took on a life of its own, splitting into dozens of leech-like units that slid across his skin and up towards its goal, his brain. Alex desperately tried to get them off him, scraping at them as best he could. All his efforts were useless. His whimpers increased, and to her delight he began to beg.

Alex felt as if he was in a bad dream. Not that foulness again. That terrible darkness that resided in his head and controlled him like a puppet. He sobbed again.

"Please, no............No. Oh God, no......"

It reached his face, and the opening it had sought. Alex tried to clamp his mouth shut, but then the foul oil was pouring into his body through his nostrils. He made one last feeble attempt, then his body was being invaded. He hadn't remembered how much it hurt, to have something force its way through sinuses, tubes and bone, into his brain. His body shuddered once, then all bodily responses were taken over, and the world receded to a floating misty blur.

That was the hateful thing about the oil aliens. That you could remember exactly what happened while they used your body

xx

But yesterday the word of Caesar might have stood against the world: now lies he there. And none so poor to do him reverence.

William Shakespeare—Julius Caesar.

xx

Sean was drifting in pleasant warmth, not really sure where he was, or how he had got there. He was lying on a soft, comfortable surface, and though he should have been bothered by his ignorance, his thoughts felt distant and vaguely confused. He felt the fog drift over his mind, and the sense of wrongness increased.

No..... Kulain....? Feels so strange....

"He's burning the Pentathol off at an incredible rate! More than three times as fast as a normal human! I'm going to have to up the dosage."

"You don't know what effect that will have!"

"It's the only thing we have that'll keep him quiet. None of the other drugs seem to work on his altered metabolism. We think he has a couple of extra genes added to his nervous system to enhance it, make it far more efficient than a normal human's."

The voices drifted through the fog. He wanted to tell them that yes, his body was better now. He wanted to show them how much he could please them. Then the sting in his arm again. It had come so many times now that he was beginning to feel like a human pincushion. He tried to protest.

No! I want to wake up...... Please....

Somehow, the words never reached his lips. Already the voices were slipping away into the distance again, becoming blurred and indistinct. And he no longer cared enough to try and follow them.

xx

Kulain sat, arms folded, curiously human, appearing distinctly annoyed at the machinations of the humans around him. Liz Shore had been assigned the job of head bodyguard after Sean's hasty removal. She was beginning to wish she had requested a transfer. Being near an angry demon wasn't an experience she craved. Kulain had simply sat in aloof silence after his icy demand for Sean's return. And she, for one, wasn't going to challenge him.

The head of security, her boss, had arrived, and had given Kulain some bullshit about Sean being transferred to another location in London. The green eyes had narrowed, and one hand had deliberately reached out to rest on the table. A long talon had extended before the wide eyed man, and had begun to carve a groove into the hard wood of the table. No words, no angry displays, but Liz thought he had made his point quite well.

The politicians had been the next to try and pacify the demon lord. It had been pointed out to Kulain that he had no jurisdiction over a British citizen, and one of the ministers had complained that Kulain was holding up the negotiations. Even Liz could have told him that the tactic was a mistake. Something hot flared in the demon's gaze, and he had smashed his fist deliberately down into the wooden table, splitting the two inch thick mahogany as if it was cardboard. The minister had cowered in fear, but the demon had merely stared.

Liz felt a reluctant admiration for his patience. Few humans could have put up with that cowardly lot for very long, especially when they insisted on spouting such bilge.

And it surprised her that Kulain actually seemed to care what had happened to Sean. She would have expected him to forget about his one night stand fairly quickly. Even she wasn't exactly sure what had been done with Sean, he certainly wasn't answering at his apartment.

Finally, a man she recognised as the head of the security services was ushered in. They were apparently bringing in the heavy guns. Green demon eyes appraised the new visitor with interest. Finally, Kulain deigned to speak.

"You have something of mine! I want him back. Or I could show you what an angry demon is really like. So far I have been patient, but perhaps a small demonstration is in order."

So it wasn't that he loved Sean. He seemed more interested in making a point, that he was due respect. Then a circle of fire appeared between his hands, and he drew his fingers wider apart. Something began to whistle, and a breeze impossibly tugged at her cheek.

"I have the ability to open gates, to travel where I will. But some gates open onto the darkness of space, and suck matter into its vacuum. Shall I open such a gate now? Air is only the first thing it will take!"

Liz realised that what she could feel was the air being drawn out of the room in a rush, through that smallest of gaps in his fingers.

"Alright!" The Security chief nodded. "We can bring him to you. But I need a day!"

"You have six hours!" Kulain closed his hands, and the warp in space disappeared. "Get out! Leave me alone, your human presence offends me!"

All the humans fled, grateful to be away from him. So none of them saw the look of utter exhaustion that he displayed, his body all but drained of energy by his spectacular but foolish demonstration.

xx

Sean felt the mists begin to clear in his mind, becoming lighter, as his level of consciousness increased. A voice seemed to be calling his name, distantly. He moaned slightly, trying to fight the heaviness of his body, the ache in his limbs from being immobile for too long. Painfully slowly, he felt his awareness of the surrounding world increase.

"Sean? Can you hear me?" A man asked.

"Uh-huh." he mumbled.

"There are some things you need to help us with Sean. You want to do that, don't you?"

The question seemed so reasonable. Sean nodded, opened his eyes and tried to focus on the speaker.

"Don't worry Sean. You've been sick for a while, but you're getting better now. But we need to know about Kulain...."

The voice resolved itself into a vaguely familiar face, and smiled reassuringly at Sean.

"O'kay.... Sure. 'Lane's so good....... Warm.....Mmmmm"

"No Sean. Tell us about the special things he can do. Like gates."

"Dunno. Never seen that." Sean frowned in puzzlement. "So good when he holds me....."

"What about the other demons Sean? What are they planning?" The man became more insistent

"Fox....? Wants Alex back...... Alex loves him too. Stupid mess because I got in the way.....Sorry..." A tear rolled down Sean's cheek. "Shouldn't have let him touch me...."

A hand grabbed Sean's shoulders, shook him roughly. "We don't want to know about your fucking love life, you damn traitor. What do the demons want in Britain. Tell me now!" A slap stung the bodyguard's face. "What does Kulain want here?"

Bewildered and disoriented, Sean stared fearfully at his interrogator.

"Me....," he whispered.

With a snarl of disgust, his body was released. "He doesn't know anything important Sir. With the amount of Pentathol he's had, he'd be singing like a canary by now, if he knew anything!"

"Dose him again anyway. It keeps him manageable."

xx

Kulain had sat, immobile and inhumanly patient for hours now, waiting for the time he had demanded that Sean be returned to him. Liz, predictably, had been given responsibility for the security detail. Though she knew by now that she could not have opposed the demon if he decided to kill a few humans. Maybe slow him for a few seconds, but that's all. Then the demon slowly lifted his head, as if he sensed something beyond her ability to detect. A faint smile warmed his face, which had been as cold and stony as a sculpture.

The door opened and Sean was brought in. Liz let out her breath in relief, though until then, she hadn't even been aware of how tense she was. Then she saw the condition Sean was in, and a cold knot of fury ignited inside her.

They had to drag him, his legs weren't working properly, and his expression was slack, and empty of the sparkling life she had always admired in him. He was dumped in a chair opposite the demon, and his head connected helplessly with the table, as he slumped forward. Two security men with armalites stood behind him. Sean's hands feebly scrabbled on the polished surface of the table, trying to push himself upright.

With a curse, Liz pushed past the two soldiers, and wrapped an arm around her friend, supporting him. His face flickered with gratitude, then he leaned against her side and closed his eyes

Kulain watched, unmoving and apparently unmoved. Then it was just a test on his part, to see if they would run to do his bidding. His emerald eyes turned to the Deputy Prime Minister, who was watching nervously.

"I am satisfied. You have returned what is mine. I agree to all of your terms. Now get out. And take your pet soldiers with you!"

Liz abruptly found herself alone with Kulain and Sean. The demon rose from his seat, inhumanly agile, and approached her. Gentle fingers carefully ran over the bruised face, and Liz gasped as the injury vanished totally. Then she was carefully, but firmly pushed away from Sean. Kulain wrapped his arms around his human, and buried his face in Sean's dark hair.

"Little one. You've come back to me!"

Sean raised his eyes, and the most joyous expression she had ever seen shone there. Yet Sean had never been one to give his trust easily. Feebly, he managed to hug back.

"I love you!" he said simply.

Then before Liz Shore's amazed gaze, Kulain lifted his lover, and the light flared impossibly around them. Then they were gone, and she was alone in the conference room.

xx

Tiamat laughed softly, and reached out to stroke Alex's cheek. The green eyed agent smiled back at her, wholly hers now. The alien inside him was proving to be a fast learner, and had quickly perceived her ambition to be at least the equal of its own. It was quite content to go along with her ideas for the moment. And cause the ruination of the two greatest threats to the domination of its own kind. The demon lord Kulain, and his far too inquisitive lover, Fox Mulder. Besides, Alex's body was proving to be far more intriguing than a normal host's. Such energy, and power for destruction. It examined its long claws thoughtfully.

"You know what I want?" Tiamat checked. Her ally nodded. "Go ahead!" she purred.

Alex dialled Mulder's mobile, and smiled when the hapless fool answered.

"Foxy, its me. Alex. I'll be back in Washington late tonight. I hope you're keeping everything on ice till then?"

"Oh yes!" Mulder sounded transparently happy. "Do you want anything special?"

"I'm going to need a really special effort from you tonight Foxy. Nothing but the best! Let's see if you can manage that, huh?"

Mulder's tone became puzzled and slightly offended. "If that's what you want Alex. Sure."

"Good. Let's not be so average tonight. See if you can spice things up a bit, this time!"

"I want to make you happy, Alex!" Mulder was hurt by his partner's slightly insulting tone. Troubled, he ended the call. He determined that nothing was going to give Alex the slightest cause for complaint tonight, and began to busy himself. Everything was going to be perfect.

Tiamat laughed softly at the grinning Alex. Blackness swirled through the agent's eyes. This was so good. They would twist the screws on Mulder, until he broke. She had long known that he was Kulain's one greatest weakness.

xx

Mulder was having a bad day. First his mother had called and all but chewed his ear off about, "that horrible demon you're living with." It had taken him hours to calm her down, finally promising to take her to lunch in Washington next week, "without Kulain."

Then he had that weird call from Alex. Such loaded statements. That somehow ended up making him feel depressed, despite the fact that he had wanted Alex back for so many weeks now. Still, everything was ready, From Alex's favourite vodka chilling in the icebox, to that sweet almond scented massage oil he loved. Surely nothing could go wrong now!

Wrong again. There was a sudden flare of brightness in the centre of the Tower room, and Kulain appeared, clutching Sean. Mulder stared at the demon in astonishment. Then Sean slithered out of his grasp and swayed unsteadily. He took a step towards Mulder, and then fell forward against him, giggling helplessly.

He was drugged out of his mind on something.

Mulder threw a questioning glance at the demon, who shrugged in bemusement.

"They gave him something to keep him under control," Kulain said. "It appears to have some side effects."

Sean snorted with laughter, then wrapped his arms around Mulder's neck tightly.

"You're cute! Wanna have some fun like last time, brown eyes?" Then he was kissing Mulder fiercely. Mulder pushed him away nervously, remembering last time. Then he realised Kulain was watching him with more than a little amusement. He glared back.

"Listen! Alex is due back soon. Keep him out of the way. Please.... I need this to work." He shivered, longing for his lover more than he had words to express. Kulain moved closer and his fingers rested supportively on his Fox's shoulder for a moment.

"You know I will. I'm not blind Fox. I know you love him most. I love him too!"

It was the closest Kulain had ever come to humanity. He gently brushed a lonely tear away from Mulder's cheek. We'll keep out of the way, but if you need me..... I'll always be here.

So Mulder sat in the half darkness, waiting in lonely vigil for his beloved.

xx

It was nearly midnight when Mulder's face lit up as he saw the door open and Alex enter. He radiated happiness and love, and flung himself forward, wrapping himself around his beloved, clutching him tight.

"Oh Alex! I've missed you so much! You don't know what it does to me when we're apart. When you called, when you were worried about me, I knew we'd be together again. I love you so much!" Mulder was so buoyant that he was almost babbling, exhilarated at having Alex back again. He rested his head against Alex's chest and held on to him.

Alex made no attempt to return the embrace.

Puzzled, Mulder lifted his head, and found himself watched with coldly appraising eyes. Bewildered, he stepped back, releasing his grip.

"Alex? I don't understand. Did I do something wrong? Are you still angry at me?"

"You could say that. You really think I'd ever want you again. You must be crazy!" Mulder flinched, disbelieving, and shook his head in mute denial. "I have someone else now. You're no comparison. Someone who can give me something you can't. A family." Fox Mulder had paled as Alex continued to taunt him.

"I've met an incredible woman. She makes you look so pathetic, its depressing to think about. How could I have wasted all that time with you? A demon's whore, that's all you are Fox. A pitiful offering from the government to keep Kulain happy and occupied. You disgust me!"

With each insult, Mulder shrank backwards, until he was up against the wall. His face was utterly colourless, and tears were creeping down his face.

"Please.....Alex......"

"Do you know something. I think you're so desperate you'd do anything to keep me. Am I right?"

Mulder nodded slowly, mutely pleading with Alex to stop his hateful scorn.

"Go on then, beg! Maybe if you do it well enough, I might stay with you!"

"I......I'll do anything you want. I'll let you do anything. What do you want me to do?"

Alex laughed cruelly.

"Let's see you on your knees Foxy. Are you any good at pleading?" Something seemed to crumple inside Mulder. His legs folded under him, leaving him sprawled on the floor in front of Alex. He bowed his head to hide the tears that flooded down his cheeks. When he finally found the strength to look at Alex, his eyes were reddened and he was shaking.

"Please....." Barely a whisper. "Stay with me...."

Alex grinned callously.

"You know Foxy. She didn't believe how low you would sink to keep me. I told her and she wouldn't believe me. We'll really have a good laugh about it later. My pathetic Fox. Get a life! You won't be seeing me again."

"No!" Mulder screamed in utter despair. He lunged forward, and wrapped his arms around Alex's legs, still on his knees. Alex watched the feeble display in open contempt.

"Let go of me! Why prolong the inevitable?" Mulder, whimpering, clung tighter. His world dissolving into tatters around him, he tried to cling to the one man who he had always loved. Alex.

"Where's your dignity Foxy?" Alex snarled, then drew his fist back and smashed it into his former lover's face. Stunned, Mulder let go, lifting his hand to his bleeding nose, aghast. He looked so bewildered, as he regarded the blood staining his fingers. The last of his strength vanished, and he fell, sobbing to the floor, and lay in a crumpled heap, his love all but annhialated.

Alex smiled in satisfaction. Perfect, and so easy.

"What....?" Kulain had entered, expecting to see his two humans wrapped in each other's arms. Mulder had seemed so hopeful recently. And now he was a wreck, huddled, unseeing and unresponsive, crying as if his heart was broken.

"Alex! What have you done?" Knowing his tempestuous young lover so well, Kulain found it difficult to believe that he would harm Mulder. Alex grinned cheekily, momentarily the delightful free spirit both of his partners loved so much. But the vicious kick he aimed at Mulder's side shocked his demon lover as a thousand demon slayings couldn't.

"You can keep this pathetic piece of shit. I've had a better offer. Someone not quite as used up and boring." In a dramatic gesture, he ripped the golden ring from his finger, and flung it into Mulder's face. If Mulder had been desolate before, it was nothing to what he felt now. With an animal noise of pain, he doubled over, rocking himself back and forth in distress.

Kulain's eyes went incandescent with rage. With incredible speed, his hands encountered Alex Krycek's neck, and the younger man was slammed up against the wall by the enraged demon.

"Go ahead, kill me if you want to!" Alex glared defiantly at him. "I'm not afraid of you any more. But you'll never have me again, And neither will he."

For a moment, it seemed as though Kulain would strike him with the long talons that had fully extended from his fingertips, in his rage. Readied for a disembowelling stroke .

"No..... let him go...." Mulder's tearful whisper was the only thing that could have saved Alex at that point. With a baffled look at his other partner, Kulain slowly released Alex.

"Get out Krycek! Because of what we once had...... you may live. I withdraw my protection from you. You are less than nothing to me. If I ever see you near us again, I will kill you where you stand, you filth."

"Big threat!" Alex said mockingly. "As if I cared." Jauntily, he made his way to the door. Just before he exited, he turned and surveyed the two who watched him.

"Just to set the record straight, I never loved you. You were useful, that's all." With a wink at Mulder, he left. Neither of his victims saw the swirl of black that momentarily covered his eyes.

Kulain turned to Mulder and dropped to his knees beside the huddled man. He drew his Fox into the comfort of his arms, not even moving from their position in the middle of the floor. His wordless comforting murmurs offered what solace he could to the distressed man. Mulder clutched at him, desolately, staring blindly into space, seeing unguessed at horrors. For a while, contemplating a final, certain end to his pain. Finally, when his body was growing stiff with discomfort at their awkward position, Mulder raised his eyes to his lovers'.

Why was it a surprise when he found Kulain's face marked with tears too? Kulain had depths of emotion within him that Mulder had barely seen before. The demon gently caressed his lover's cheek, smoothing away the salty wetness.

"I didn't know it could hurt so much to love someone." Kulain sighed, and brushed his lips across Mulder's forehead. "I need you!" A hoarse whisper, but Mulder heard it all the same. Found within himself a reason to keep on living.

Then Mulder's mouth captured his, as he rose from the floor, and the two of them pulled each other closer. Falling into a maelstrom of desire and a craving for each other that was born of the emptiness that Alex had left behind him. A place he had ripped open inside their hearts. Both of them, by common consent, finding their way to the bedroom. Falling together onto silken sheets, Mulder cradled protectively in his lover's arms. Holding each other as passion and tears mixed. Mulder rode on top of Kulain's body, impaling himself, deliberately using himself harshly, needing the discomfort to distract him from the other, more intense pain. Kulain seemed to realise what he desired, and for the rest of the night he was given no time to think, no time to brood. And especially, no time to dream. For the moment, only wanting a distraction which Kulain provided. Fucking Mulder over and over, whether the agent came or not, until Mulder was utterly exhausted, and even Kulain, with all his appetites, was sated. And himself distracted.

And throughout their lovemaking, Mulder's hand clung, in a death-grip, to a small gold circlet.

Finally, Kulain saw his Fox sag in fatigue, his eyes closing involuntarily. Gentle arms cradled him in protection, there was nothing Kulain wouldn't do to keep Mulder safe. To guard against all threats.

Yet the sleep that came in the end was far from dreamless.

xx

Alex doubled over in agony and vomited until he felt his insides would come loose, as vast quantities of vile black fluid poured out of his body. When the heaves finally ceased, he sagged back, exhausted, onto the familiar bunk, his arms once again imprisoned by the damned cuffs. The black oil gathered itself, and migrated into its container. Tiamat squealed in glee.

"Beautiful, wasn't it Alex! Such a good ally, this one. I will have fun!" She reached out and petted his cheek. The young agent recoiled, disgust warring with intense hatred in his eyes.

"So much fire Alex. Are you sure you won't serve me? Mulder and Kulain won't ever have you back now!"

"Never. I'll kill you, I swear it! For what you've done..."

"No, Alex. For what you did!" She tittered, a mad, unnatural sound, then licked her lips. I'm going to have you Alex. You're so much stronger than the other humans. We were just made for each other.... I've seen the way you look at me when you think I'm not watching. It's obvious you want me!" With another giggle, she left, carrying her dark ally.

It was then that Alex had a revelation. She was completely and utterly insane. There was no reason or logic to her beliefs. No way to predict her next action. And now there was no-one who could help him, because the two beings he loved most in the world had turned their backs on him. And after what the oil alien had made him do, he couldn't blame them. Even now, the thought of Mulder's pain filled him with a desperate anguish. He kept seeing those horror filled hazel eyes staring at him in torment, as his trust in Alex died. He wanted to run to Fox, beg him on his knees for forgiveness and hold him so tight they would never be apart again.

Staring into the bare little room that was the new limit of his world, Alex could see no way out, and no hope. Leaning his head back against the wall, and shifting his position slightly in a vain effort to find a more comfortable position, Alex Krycek began to cry.

xx

Megaera@Megaera.demon.co.uk

Part IX: Captive

DATE March 1999
EMAIL Megaera@Megaera.demon.co.uk
FEEDBACK is life
RATING NC-17 SLASH
CONTENT WARNING m/m sex, violence
SPOILERS None
SUMMARY Mulder and Alex are driven apart by circumstances.
DISCLAIMER All X Files Characters belong to Chris Carter and Fox, I've just borrowed them for a while. I am not making any profit out of this, its just for entertainment. The character of Kulain is mine but you can use him if you like, Mr. Carter
COMMENTS This story is set in an Alternate Universe where demons can interact more freely with humans and can shapeshift. If you don't like my laws of physics, go find your own.
THANKS to Bee Lan and Czara who had a lot to say....

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]