Go to notes and disclaimers


Dark Angel's Fire
by Megaera

Part IX
Captive

I will fasten you with inextricable brazen bonds to this rock, far from men, where you will perceive neither the voice nor the shape of anyone of mortals.....The burden of your present suffering will continually distress you....
Prometheus Bound—Aeschylus (525—456 B.C.)

She watched Alex silently as he slept. He was reclining as best he could on the uncomfortably hard bunk, considering both wrists were fastened to the wall above his head. At some point last night, he had once again tried to free himself with brute force, and before he had given up the attempt in sheer exhaustion, he had badly cut and bruised his skin under the metal circlets. His young face was still shadowed with pain, even in repose.

He moaned slightly, shifting in his sleep, perhaps calling a fragment of a once beloved name, a man he yearned for more than any other. But she had taken that one away from him forever. He lay now with full lips parted, and she longed to kiss him, to slide her tongue into his mouth and taste him. But he would inevitably fight her. She expected it of one so strong. It would take many hours of patient, but enjoyable taming before he would accept her. But he was half human, so he would inevitably yield in the end.

He lay on his back, head slightly to one side, legs slightly bent, and spread apart a little. She enjoyed the sight of him this way. So vulnerable.

She let her eyes run across the long, firm legs, encased in tight jeans, the narrow waist, the thin cotton shirt that could not conceal the small roundness of tight nipples pressing out against the fabric. Again, it was hard to restrain herself from biting them until he cried out.

But he belonged to her now, and so she waited with inhuman patience. Why waste such a succulent prize by acting too hastily? There was an innocence about him while he slept, a lusciously tempting helplessness. She forced the feelings of hunger down with an effort. Alex would need to be cultivated carefully, to learn new loyalties. He must be made to forget about Kulain and his feeble human partner. A pity Kulain had never implanted control genes in his humans. It would have been so much easier to get what she wanted. But, there were ways...... She licked her lips. The re-education of Alex Krycek would be gratifying. But in the end, inevitably, he would serve her, as a human should.

xx

Alex dreamed of a time when things were good. When he lay cradled in Fox's arms and in Kulain's bed, every night. He felt Mulder's touch, the pressure of his lips across Alex's cock, the laughter in his eyes as he made his lover beg for more. The delightfully whimsical side of Mulder that only his lovers were allowed to see, and then only in moments of intimate trust.

Then the dream turned dark. The world swirled with blackness, and Mulder lay sobbing at his feet, turning a wretched face towards him in mute denial. And he fought with all his strength to pull Mulder against him and tell him it was a mistake. He battled the weight of his own treacherous body. It was useless, and even seemed to amuse the creature who forced his body to obey. It ignored his screams and his sobbing pleas. His protests were futile. In the end he, like Mulder, was forced to retreat to a snivelling corner of his mind, to try and stay sane.

There were dark hints of purpose in the alien's mind. It knew him, with a forced intimacy that bordered on violation, but its thoughts were a swirling maelstrom beyond his comprehension. There was a malice towards humanity that made his mind shrink as far away from it as possible.

The swirling hatred entered his dream, faces of his captors and Tiamat laughing cruelly at his helplessness. The only faces he saw in his long isolation.

They were almost fanatically careful to guard him, Tiamat's three lackeys. They even fettered him with a longer chain when he needed to use the bathroom, never ever giving him a chance to escape. He could only guess at the threats the mad demon woman had used to warn them to take care. They didn't even give him a way to kill himself. To deny the alien control over his body.

When he woke, his face was wet with tears.

xx

Mulder sat, as he had done for most days this week, on a comfortable leather chair, in the main room of Kulain's tower. He didn't move for most of the day, staring desolately into space, utterly miserable. Kulain had tried to speak to him once, but Mulder had turned away from his lover. Sean, Kulain's new lover, was surprisingly kind, bringing him food and coffee, gently urging him to rest when he needed to. The life has been drained out of him, though, by the loss of Alex. And the only thing he had ever wanted or needed.

Mulder watched out of the high tower window, as the sun set in brilliant reds over the city. It was a stunning natural sight, even here. Once again, as it had on countless occasions since the betrayal, his eidetic brain produced an image of Alex, arms wrapped around his lover, as they both leaned into each other, watching a southern states sunset. It had been one of the more memorable images of their last vacation together in New Orleans. And now it was all he had of Alex. The tears started again.

Dully, he stirred himself, when finally the pain had diminished a little. He decided to have a shower and try to focus his mind on something else. That was part of the problem. If he had his job at the F.B.I. he could have lost himself in paperwork or a case. But the directors of the F.B.I. had suspended him, claiming conflict of interest, when he had become Kulain's spokesperson. Demons weren't usually associated with justice, and having an infamous, gay, demon lover working for the Bureau wasn't the best public image for them.

And unjust though it was, he had few illusions about whether he would ever be trusted there again, since his very public relationship with Kulain.

He decided to try and get away tomorrow. Maybe visit Scully, take her to lunch. He needed someone to talk to.

xx

Sean was experiencing one of the strangest periods of his life. He had been brought back to Washington by his lover. The strange, wonderful, terrifying being who had been responsible for so much upheaval in his life. They had only spent a single night together, yet he felt as if he had come home. The demon had possessed him like no other ever had, taken him to the utmost heights of pleasure. Even now he wanted more. Then he had been all but abandoned, as Fox Mulder's life went into freefall. And he liked Fox too much to take Kulain away from him, even for a minute.

Even though he loved Kulain so much.

Mulder looked ghastly most of the time, his expression vacant, his eyes reddened, so haggard and haunted that Sean could only pity him. As far as he could gather, Alex had dumped him. It didn't sound like the Krycek he knew, who had sobbed in loneliness in his arms, longing for Mulder, the last time they had met. But what did he know about relationships, with a broken marriage behind him, and a new gay lover?

Sean had been so lost in thought that he hadn't hesitated to walk into Kulain's room, hoping for a glimpse of his heart's desire. The Lord of Washington was nowhere to be seen. But Mulder was there, fresh from the shower, sitting on the bed in only a towel. So the brutal scar marks on his back were plainly visible.

Sean must have gasped, or made some noise, for Mulder turned, startled. For a moment there was an almost unnerving hope there. Then Fox saw who it was, and his disappointment showed clearly. Mulder saw the direction of Sean's astonished gaze, and flushed slightly.

"I've had a few enemies over the years," he said softly.

"They.....look like bite marks!" Sean couldn't restrain his curiosity.

"Yeah!" Mulder assented. "A demon held me prisoner for months. Ash. He wasn't very gentle with me." Mulder sounded distant, uncaring. But the gleam of tears betrayed his emotions. "He raped me and I slit his throat for it." Green fire briefly glowed in his eyes.

Leaving Sean gaping at him, he went to dress. A small circle of gold caught the light on a fine chain round his neck.

xx

Alex Krycek's captors had come for him in the night. One moment he was asleep on his narrow bunk, the next, two of them were pinning him down onto the hard wooden surface. Then something wet and slimy was being poured onto his face.

The struggle was over almost before it had begun.

Tendrils of oozing darkness had entangled themselves inside his head and all hope disappeared. He felt his body stand, when the cuffs were loosened, but he was just a passenger inside his own head. There was no control, no matter how much he fought against it. And how he fought!

But in the end, inevitably, he could only watch and try to learn more, in the faint hope that he would find something to his advantage.

xx

Tiamat awaited her latest visitor with amusement. This individual had contested Kulain in vain for years now. The Lord of Washington had always proved himself to be more deceptive and manipulative even than this human master of the craft. But she had certainty that her species were supreme. Still, there was always room to think creatively, to use such a tool with care and gain advantage in the game of empire. This male was well connected in government circles, which was where Kulain was making his stand, and had useful inside knowledge. He also had the confidence of the alien faction, though they were no less cautious in using him than she was.

The door opened, and her alien entered, wearing Alex's body. She felt a small prickle of anger, that the alien should so thoroughly possess something which she thought of as hers, but she ignored the jealousy. She would use the oil alien just as she used the human, but in the end, she would be the winner over all. For was she not of demonkind, and so, superior to both alien and human.

Alex came and sat on her left, a smile playing about his lips as he became aware of her scrutiny. And, in truth, it was hard to avoid watching the long legs which she found inexplicably fascinating. The alien didn't object when she reached out and rested her hand on Alex's knee, slid it upwards to feel the firmness of his sensitive inner thigh. She wanted to bite it, but knew the alien wouldn't have tolerated physical damage.

Soon Alex

Her new human associate entered, and she enjoyed the look of consternation he displayed so much, she forgot about her plans for Alex.

xx

The Cigarette Smoking Man had intended to meet a new ally the aliens had recommended to him. A rogue demon, apparently, who could provide them with vital background knowledge of the demons and their weaknesses. But they had been careful to warn him how unstable she was. How delicately she must be handled, since, in their opinion, she was totally insane. But he hadn't expected to see Alex Krycek smiling, facing him as he entered the room.

For a moment, he wondered if Kulain had set him up. Then he noticed what Tiamat was doing behind her desk. Fondling Alex's leg.

No way on Earth was Alex interested in a liason of that sort. For a start, he hadn't been interested in women for a long, long time. And Krycek had far more sense than to get involved with an insane and dangerously psychotic female demon. He admitted to himself that the situation was intriguing.

Then the swirl of darkness crossed intense green eyes, and he understood.

It was quite a demonstration of her power!

And he didn't miss the implications of Alex's present condition. Demons could be taken over and their bodies utilised by the aliens! A ready source of slaves for them, stronger and more efficient than humans, which would satisfy their needs without having to take over all of humanity.

Tiamat was in some ways brilliant. It was a solution he had never dreamed of, for two thorny problems that had tormented him. The President was going to love it. He assumed a falsely charming expression and politely listened as she outlined her mad schemes for the future, trying to disguise his contempt for how wholly unrealistic they were. It would be easy to deceive her. And all through her tirade, she kept on absently fondling Krycek. He was transfixed by the slow movement of a long nailed forefinger down across the most sensitive part of Alex's inner thigh, an area of skin rich in nerve endings.

Even after the Smoker had left, hurriedly, she continued to play her little game. She became aware that she was creating a physiological response in Krycek's body that had little to do with ownership of his mind. Her hand strayed upwards, feeling the considerable hardness under her fingertips, straining against the rough denim fabric of his jeans. Chilling alien-tainted eyes watched her, intrigued.

No! She would not share Alex with the alien. She would not take the chance that the alien would get a taste for Alex's body.

Reluctantly, her hand withdrew.

xx

Alex came out of the latest bout with the oil alien, aching and weary. He was in the familiar surroundings that had been his world for the last three weeks. In his little cell, once again securely held, with no hope of release. It was getting harder and harder to stay in control of his emotions these days. He belonged to Tiamat and her alien friend in every way that mattered. He had a sudden flash of memory. Her hands touching him, caressing him. The nausea that doubled him over then, wasn't entirely the after-effects of the alien.

The revelation that she was working with the Cigarette Smoking Man had astounded him. Tia, the aliens and the Consortium. A frightening combination, and Alex feared he knew who their first targets must be.

That thought brought on another hopeless round of struggle with the shackles around his wrists. Every night, he tried to get free, and every night, it proved useless. Just made his wrists bleed again. But he had to try.

His efforts would not please his guards. One in particular was a class one bastard. He hated Alex, and often tormented him verbally. He also tended to make his prisoner wait until the last minute, to relieve his physical needs.

It didn't take long before the small camera that watched him alerted the guards to his latest self destructive bout. Tiamat herself entered with the guards, and Alex immediately stopped his struggles. Cold golden eyes surveyed him, assessed the damage to his wrists, then a look of fury crossed her face. She whirled towards his captors and her fist shot out in a powerful blow, connecting with the nose of one hapless guards.

"He is damaged! Again! You should have taken more care to protect him. Have the cuffs padded so he can do himself no further injury, or you will be punished."

Nice to know she cared. Then why did Tiamat's apparent concern fill him with nameless dread. He didn't fail to notice the hatred in the injured guard's expression, as he stared at his prisoner. It had to be that particular guard, the one who already hated him.

Alex didn't have long to wait, before the man got a none too subtle revenge on him. It happened when they chained him so he could visit the shower, as happened every couple of days. To minimize his chances of escape, his hands were pinned behind his back and his ankles were linked together, so he could only move in a slow shuffle. Easy then, for the guard to stick his foot in Alex's path, and shove hard with his shoulder at the same time.

Alex had no warning. One moment he was walking, the next, he was crashing to the floor, landing on his all too human right arm.

There was a sickening pain that jolted his upper arm. Alex screamed in agony, and his tormentor, with a smirk, ground his broken arm into the floor with a boot, wringing a shriek from his victim. Alex heard distant laughter, then he fainted.

xx

"He tripped! I tried to save him, but it was too late! I'm so sorry." The guard tried to play down Alex's misfortune. "It was an accident."

Alex huddled on his bunk again, shirtless, this time not wanting to move. Only one arm was cuffed now. The other felt warm and fuzzy, with only a distant memory of pain. They had drugged him to set the bone, and he felt almost intoxicated as a result. Whatever he had been dosed with made him want to giggle, and when Tiamat leaned over him to examine his injury, some devil inside him made him blow a flirtatious kiss at her. There was almost human warmth in her response, and a hand lingered on his head for a moment.

Then she turned to look at his tormentor. He returned the gaze levelly, barely hiding his contempt. The fool obviously hadn't a clue what sort of creature his boss was, only that she was well connected in the Mafia. Because what happened next came as a total shock to him and his colleagues. The small, golden eyed woman shifted and suddenly a huge serpentine demon with a woman's almost-face reared above them. Faster than a human could react, golden coils whipped round the guard, tightening rapidly, like an enormous boa constrictor. Crushing the man to a pulp. Alex watched, dazed, his mind trying to comprehend what sort of creature controlled his life.

The crunching of his bones and the blood spurting out between serpent convolutions rapidly sobered Alex. The other two guards cowered in terror. Tiamat's serpentine head reared upwards, like a cobra, then arced downwards in a blur towards her prey, long front fangs piercing the skull like an eggshell. No point in wasting a human delicacy. The two humans fled, shrieking, strong men reduced to abject terror by witnessing the demon's actions.

Alex had a good idea now what sort of creature wanted to subjugate him. Remarkable what the sight of blood could do to clear the mind. He still felt dizzy and his arm now ached sickeningly when he tried to move it. But adrenaline had wiped away the effects of the anaesthetic.

Tiamat finished her gory repast, then her eyes swung to look at her latest possession. Good, he was still there, beautiful and tempting. With a huge sigh, which sounded incongruous in a snake, the demon rested her gold scaled head on Alex's flat stomach possessively, and closed her eyes. Sleep was a natural consequence of a good meal, among her kind.

Alex froze when the demon touched him. Rested its deadly head so close. The fangs that had just committed an outrage, that protruded from the demon's mouth, were slightly indenting his bare skin He began to shiver, as much from hopelessness, as from the shocking events of the day. One gold slitted eye opened and regarded her comfortable pillow.

"Cold, Alex? I didn't think to get you a blanket. No matter, I will keep you warm."

Several coils curled across his body.

The worst thing was that the warmth was welcome.

Somehow, though he had always known there was something almost reptilian about Kulain, he and Mulder had overlooked its significance. This was what Kulain suppressed inside himself, when he fought to control his dark impulses. And what Alex and Mulder had yet to conquer inside themselves. He saw the darkness unveiled in Tiamat, and that was the most frightening thing of all. Pain and exhaustion drove the thought from his mind, as incredibly in the circumstances, he slept.

xx

Sean miserably watched Kulain and Mulder as the two of them sat, tangled up in each others' arms. He felt left out and alone. And what he felt for Kulain was driving him out of his mind. He had thought it was bad before, when being near the demon had filled him with a longing he found impossible to deny. But watching the two of them together was ten times worse.

Kulain hugged Mulder to him. His Fox pressed close to his side, clutching at him, miserable and needing his strength. He didn't mind. Mulder's dependence was pleasing. And comforting.

He sensed Sean's scrutiny. He raised his head, which had been buried in Mulder's hair, and saw the younger man watching him. Sean's face was flushed and he was breathing rapidly. Kulain could smell his arousal.

Hmmm. He had been neglecting Sean of late. Though keeping the human's needs unsatisfied would only make his lovemaking more intense when he finally indulged Sean. A hand slowly extended towards the human, inviting him into Kulain's embrace. Slowly, hesitantly, Sean approached, and sank down onto the couch next to his lover. Kulain drew him in close, and with a contented sigh, Sean leaned against him. Mulder stirred briefly, made a small questioning sound. Kulain stroked his back gently, and he sank back against his lover, burying his face in the soft fabric Kulain wore. The demon loved the sensual feel of expensive human designed textiles against his skin.

The warmth of the two bodies next to him almost convinced Kulain that he was still in blissful possession of his glorious Alex. It had been a spectacular partnership. Now he had one emotionally crippled agent, and one inexperienced bodyguard.

Mulder wasn't sure what feelings he should have about Sean. How could he feel jealous, when he had to take a lot of the responsibility for him. The blue eyed Englishman hesitantly smiled at him, and he reluctantly returned it. When they were within inches of each other, both held in Kulain's arms, he couldn't exactly tell him to get lost. Mulder sighed. Sean was like a puppy-dog. His adoration of Kulain was impossible to hide.

"It's okay. I know you need him too.." Mulder could understand that. "I guess we ought to talk." The puppy-dog looked absurdly grateful.

"Can I buy you lunch tomorrow?" Sean asked hopefully.

For the first time in ages, Mulder had to repress the urge not to laugh.

"Yeah. Alright. But make it expensive!"

Kulain watched the by-play between them with interest. It was the first time since Alex's departure that he had seen Mulder rouse himself from his self destructive depression. He had been right then, the two of them would eventually bond together. The attraction was definitely there. He meditated sadly that a certain other would have added so much fire to their interaction. How could he have been so mistaken about Alex? But never one to dwell on the past, he began to plot how he was going to get both of the two lovers he still possessed into his bed tonight.

xx

Alex dreamed, of a time when things were better. When it was his heart's desire to lie, wrapped in Fox's arms, after they had both satisfied their bodies in glorious lovemaking. Sometimes Mulder had rested his head on Alex's chest, then woken him when those talented lips strayed downwards. The sweetness of being enclosed in the hot mouth, of being worked by the muscles of Mulder's throat. He couldn't remember a time when he had felt as good.

Now he was distantly aware of being touched. Of a tongue swirling round the head of his wakening cock. Of a tightness enclosing him, sucking him in, busily employed in making him come

.......No..... something isn't right..........

The pressure redoubled, driving away whatever coherent thought he possessed. Drawing him in, closing around him, withdrawing in delicious torment. His hips pushed helplessly upwards against the other, against Fox.

.......But Fox can't be.......

He lost all control, his body bucking as he came, his semen jetting into the other's mouth. And came fully awake. Tiamat, once again in human guise, was busily licking him clean. A deeply satisfied smile on her face as she gently rearranged his clothes. For a long moment, he could only stare in horror at the demon, as she licked her mouth like a cat who'd had the cream. She rose to her feet, reached out almost negligently, and patted her pet's head. He was learning. Alex flinched, which only pleased her further. It would be so boring if he made it too easy. Pleased with herself and the world, she started to leave. Then paused for a moment at the door.

"I'll have a present for you later Alex, because you've been so good!"

Alex sank back onto the bunk, tears running down his face. All of his protests, all of his fighting against her had come to nothing in the end. He was as securely held prisoner as before, but now he had given her what she wanted. He felt as if he had betrayed everything in the world that he valued. A long time ago, when he was young and naive, the Consortium had valued his services as assassin and whore. And now, he had come full circle, offering his body once again, in exchange for his survival.

Desolately, he turned his face to the wall and huddled in misery, cradling his aching arm as best he could.

xx

Sean wasn't quite sure how the three of them had ended up in bed together. But then Kulain had always been able to lead him around by the hormone influenced parts of his body. Perhaps it was because he had gone for so long without sex with the demon. Or perhaps because there was a heady exhilaration in being so close to Kulain, Something utterly arousing in the smell and taste of him that made Sean rock hard and aching for the hot burn that he would feel when Kulain powered into him. He wasn't aware of quite when he had begun to touch Kulain, run his fingers across the strong body, but within moments, he was rubbing himself uncontrollably against Kulain, moaning helplessly, his brain turning to jelly. He had caught a brief glimpse of Mulder, wide eyed at the out-of-control sensuality of Sean's movements, and their rapidly escalating passion. And he had been subliminally aware that the display he was giving was turning Mulder on, despite his misery. The way Mulder had flushed, his lips parting, his hand unconsciously fingering his nipples.

Kulain too, was becoming aroused by Sean's delightful display. The younger man was one of the most responsive humans he had ever encountered, completely willing to surrender himself to Kulain's desires. And totally wanton in the way he moved his body. A demon's dream come true. No wonder he had wanted Sean so much. He felt himself responding to the human's touch, and in swift response, caught Sean's hands and drew him towards the bedroom. He paused at the door, and assessed Mulder. His other lover was watching him, half afraid, half longing.

"Fox. I don't want you to be alone tonight. Come here!" Perhaps he phrased it like too much like an order. But Mulder compliantly came towards him, ready to do what he wanted. Too scared of losing his other lover to protest. Kulain sadly reflected that he didn't just miss Alex's fiery spirit, his Fox had lost much of his enthusiasm for life now that Alex had gone. With astonishment, Kulain realised that he would have enjoyed Mulder's arguments more than this spiritless docility.

Kulain drew Mulder down onto the bed. Sean had pulled his clothes off in the few steps between door and bed, and lay on his stomach already, tempting and eager to please. He had a delectable ass. Mulder watched uncertainly. Now that Kulain had enticed him into the room, he wasn't exactly sure what he should do next. Kulain gently stroked a taloned finger down his cheek.

"Enjoy the show. And if you feel like joining in, neither of us would object."

Mulder blushed, enticingly.

Kulain turned to pay Sean some attention. The human was rubbing his cock, which was hard and fully erect. He raised one finger, glistening with pre-cum, to his mouth and licked it off, taking his fingers in deeper and suckling on them. Kulain would really have to do something about that particular habit. But at the moment, Sean was arching his ass off the bed in unmistakable invitation. Kulain decided to indulge him, and lubricating a finger, slid it into Sean's tightness. The human screamed, he was remarkably sensitive to stimulation. Kulain enjoyed teasing his writhing body for a while, then pushed Sean down, slipping a knee between firm thighs to induce the human to stretch his legs wider.

A quick glance at Mulder showed his other lover to be breathing heavily, his fist jammed in his mouth to disguise his moans of arousal. He gave Mulder an evil grin, that only seemed to make his Fox's condition worse. Mulder rolled onto his back next to them, trying not to watch, but failing, as his attention was drawn by Sean's uninhibited display. And his other hand was working away between his legs, independent and instinctive, grasping at a respectable erection.

Kulain decided it was time to give Sean what he was, by now, begging for. Easing the human carefully open, he thrust down into the bodyguard. Sean's screams became ecstatic, incoherent, his hips thrusting towards Kulain, frantically fucking himself on Kulain's large cock. He didn't last long, and Kulain gasped as Sean came his involuntary tightening almost bringing the demon to climax. But he managed to control himself with difficulty, and rolled on top of a very aroused Mulder, catching hold of firm thighs and spreading them further apart. Mulder gasped as Kulain's weight pressed down on him, feeling the hardness probing into him, before the agent had time to react. His lover kissed him so hard it bruised his mouth.

Kulain's swift and none too gentle penetration took Mulder's breath away. But he was too close to the edge himself to stop Kulain's glorious thrusts, and instinctively wrapped his legs around the demon, pulling him deeper. Feeling the hardness driving so intimately inside him that he wasn't sure where one of them ended and the other began. Within moments, he too came, and this time Kulain let his own body find release, as Mulder's semen spattered against him. He lowered his mouth, and began to lick at Mulder's essence, wringing a moan from the bullied lips, as he savored his Fox's taste.

Kulain lay between them afterwards, one of them curled into him on either side, warm and contented for now. Sean was sleeping, a blissful smile on his face. But Mulder was awake, though he hadn't spoken. Kulain understood.

"I see your pain, little one. I wish it could have been different. But you have to go on with your life." He fingered the ring Mulder wore around his neck. "This doesn't help you."

"I know." Mulder pressed closer. "But it's so hard sometimes. I can't just stop loving him, not after so long. I know I should hate him, but I can't....."

Kulain sighed. "Yes....... I know.....I wish he was here too!" He drew Mulder closer and held him until his Fox drifted into uneasy sleep.

xx

Alex awoke, uncertain of what had disturbed him. His body needed more rest lately, as a consequence of his injury. Tiamat laughed softly. She was sitting on the edge of the bunk, cradling something in her hands.

"Your present, Alex."

She held up a golden circlet, studded with what looked like rubies. A collar for him, linked to a fine metal chain. Alex shook his head, shrinking away from her.

"No way! You're not putting that thing on me!" It was more than just a token protest at wearing her baubles. When he looked at the collar, Alex felt a gut twisting nausea, as if there was something wrong, harmful about it. He didn't want to touch it. His instincts screamed at him. Fight or run. Unfortunately, he could do neither. He could only try to bring his injured arm up to fend her off, uselessly.

"Please. Don't put that on me...... I..... I'll do whatever you want......" He choked back a sob.

"But I want this, Alex!" She would not be denied, and was in fact enjoying his struggles. Disregarding his pleas, she fastened the collar round his neck, and stood back to watch the entertainment.

Alex screamed as fire encircled his throat. Somewhere he was burning, heat washing over his body. Trying to fight it only made it worse. It was as if his skin was blistering on the inside, and a point of fire stabbed with precision into a specific part of his brain. Vainly he clawed at the gold, and found to his horror that it had fused to his skin. The initial pain began to fade, slowly, but it seemed to leach some part of him away. Instincts and perceptions he had known as part of his demon self. They were gone.

"How does it feel to be human again, Alex?" Tiamat was amused. "As long as you wear my collar, you can't touch any part of what Kulain gave you. I invented it especially for you." She unfastened his wrist from the wall, and tugged on the chain that was fastened to his neck. "Come along my sweet, shall I take you for a walk?"

He tried to shift. To call on his other self. It was like crashing into a brick wall that had become a barrier around his mind. The harder he struggled, the more it hurt. A yank on the chain fastened to his neck brought him back to reality. Gold eyes assessed him coldly.

"You face a choice Alex. You can choose to live, and obey me. Or you can die spectacularly in my bed tonight. Either way I get to have you. So do you choose life or death?"

Terrified green eyes regarded her. At least he was learning the proper respect now.

"Life," he whispered.

xx

Infect her with fear and desire, for Cybele's pale. Lash at yourself with your tail knot. Drown the whole mountain with roaring. Let the red-mane dreadfully crowd the brute-neck. She looses the leash........

Catullus

xx

The Cigarette Smoking Man entered Tiamat's office that morning in eager anticipation. He wanted to check on her progress, to find out how close she was to making a deal with the aliens that would benefit them both. She had been observed by them for some time now, a trial period in which they worked together to eliminate opposition in the city of Las Vegas. As a major population centre near the secret government facilities in the Nevada Desert, it was a crucial staging post for their plans.

Alex Krycek was in the room, half-reclining on the black leather couch. He had his legs drawn up beneath him, and rested his chin on his hands, seemingly at ease. At least the bitch wasn't fondling him this time. He wondered what Krycek's alien master would have to add to this meeting.

He smiled falsely at Tiamat, and she responded in kind.

"Have you decided to join the aliens?" the Smoker asked. She nodded briefly.

"They have many advantages I find useful," she said. He glanced at Krycek, who watched him now, coldly.

"A pity we couldn't infect Mulder with one," he said. "But I owe his family a favour, so I'd rather find a way to deprogram him. If he can be taken away from Kulain's influence, I don't think it'll take too much to break him. Remake him as a good little government agent."

Astonishingly, something hot flared in Alex's eyes at that. To his complete surprise, Alex was apparently himself.

"You son of a bitch! If you touch him, I'll rip your throat out with my bare hands!"

"Alex! Silence!" Tiamat reached down and pulled on something at her side. With a yelp, Alex's head was jerked forward until his chin impacted with the side of the couch. Sudden terror registered in his face. The Smoker realised that Alex Krycek was chained like a dog to the arm of Tiamat's chair. And he was scared enough of his captor to do as he was told. The sight was delightful, and not a little fulfilling. He laughed softly, and the bitch smiled at him. He wondered how such a pretty little thing could scare Krycek, but then anyone would be intimidated by insanity, particularly in a demon. Not that he respected her, but then, he had never seen any evidence of her demon heritage.

"I would love to have one of those things round Kulain's neck, and make him come to heel for me!" the Smoker mused. Tiamat seemed delighted by the thought. The Smoker reflected that she hated her own kind almost as much as humans.

"Oh yes! Such a delectable idea! But he would be hard to tame, you would have to de-claw him, of course, unlike this pretty human of mine." Tiamat shook the chain, making Alex flinch, his green eyes very wide.

"I'm teaching Alex to be good. He's a slow learner!" She told her guest. Alex looked as if he was going to be sick. But he found enough energy for a murderous glance at the Smoker, when Tiamat wasn't watching. How amusing.

"Your pet isn't doing as he's told. He still wants to kill me!" This was an opportunity for revenge the Smoking Man wasn't going to overlook. But even he didn't expect the response he got, as he suddenly found out how dangerous an ally he had.

Tiamat's head whipped round, in a manoeuvre impossible for human bones to tolerate. The rest of her body followed, suddenly becoming serpentine malignancy. And in a single strike, she bit Alex on his neck, just above the collar, fangs sinking deep, pumping venom into his unprotected body. He convulsed, eyes rolling back in his head as toxins entered his bloodstream. She let his unconscious body fall. It was as good a time as any to accustom him to her bite. She had only employed a minimum of her venom, enough to partially immunise him, once he recovered from its effects. But the lesson would be timely, both for him, and for her human ally who watched, white faced.

Oh yes. She wanted to be able to bite Alex with impunity, so he may as well grow accustomed to it.

xx

Mulder woke that morning, curled into a delicious warmth, feeling the rise and fall of another man's chest beneath his cheek. Drowsily he snuggled into the other. A contented sigh came from his pillow, he felt the vibration of the sound through his skin. A hand came up and ran its way through his short hair.

"Fox......"

The sleepy response came as a complete surprise. Mulder realised he was lying naked in the same bed as Sean, holding him in an unsought for intimacy. Kulain had opportunely disappeared, and knowing him, it was probably part of some demon plot of labyrinthine complexity. Mulder raised his head and found blue eyes watching him, hesitant, filled with shy affection.

The puppy dog was back.

And Mulder blushed as he realised that he was enjoying it.

xx

The world was fire and ice, a turmoil of pain and indescribable fear. He was aware, subconsciously, that he had been hurt in some way that defied description. When he reached out for the part of him that was strong, there was an absence that tormented him. A sense of transformation. And somewhere a shocking pain that stabbed into his neck. It was as if he was living his life under a huge lens, as his body became acutely sensitive to every sensation, even the touch of a single strand of hair across his face. Yet at the same time, he was detached from his body, not in control any more. He moaned feverishly, as the venom surged through his body. A voice was whispering things in his ear that seemed to make no sense, disjointed phrases, a mixture of loving promises and hated filled curses. He shook his head, powerlessly trying to escape the madness that they represented.

Yes. Oh yes Alex. You're going to be so good for me. You're a whore of course. You're mine. Such a pretty face. Mine! Yes you are. HE can't have you.....

The speaker sounded familiar, a woman, but he felt an intuitive revulsion for her, without understanding why. The speaker faded out for a while, as he drifted between consciousness and oblivion.

The air near him shimmered, and Mulder appeared, a Mulder thinner and paler than he remembered, who was sobbing uncontrollably. He tried to raise his hand, to reach out, but his body failed him. Mulder's eyes became huge dark pits that swirled with blackness, then he was gone. Kulain stood there instead, snarling, striking at Alex with fully extended claws. Then he was gone too, and the Smoker was laughing at him, becoming impossibly snake like as he hugged Marita.

Alex hallucinated, screaming at his brain's conjurations, and begging Mulder to forgive him, on the brief occasions when his lover's face faded in from the mists.

His next awareness was of a rushing heat through his body, a fire of sorts, divorced from his mind. Then a distant surging pull on his body, familiar though his mind couldn't quite remember when he had known it. An overwhelming sensation of physical pleasure. A soul deep wrongness that made him whimper in despair.

He tried to claw his way to reality, but the venom still flowed in his veins.

The mad voice again, this time filled with a terrible gloating.

Yes Alex my love. We're going to have such interesting times together. You're so good. So giving....... So enjoyable.....

It all faded.

xx

Sean and Mulder pulled up at one of the most exclusive restaurants in Washington, on their lunch date. Mulder had driven them there in his expensive Porsche car, which was a present from Kulain. He tossed the keys to the parking valet, and promised him a good tip. Then he and Sean headed into the Foyer of the restaurant. What Mulder hadn't anticipated were the paparazzi in constant star watching attendance in places like this. The flash of cameras caught them both by surprise. Sean grinned challengingly. Mulder accepted the unspoken dare, and wrapped his arm around Sean's waist.

"You sure you want to join the circus?" Mulder murmured in Sean's ear.

"Yes. I want everyone to know. I'm not ashamed of loving Kulain. Or caring about you" Mulder smiled shyly. "Besides, they'll say what they like anyway, so why bother to hide anything. British newspapers have some of the worst muck raking journalists on the planet, they probably know all about the three of us already. I can just see the headlines... Three in a bed sex romps with demon lord, or Mulder demon-strates his affections... "

It gave Sean a good feeling to make Mulder laugh.

xx

Alex was cold. Vaguely, he was aware that he was stretched out on a big, luxurious double bed, wrapped in blankets, in the middle of a hot desert day, the sun streaming through a large glass window and heating his body. It must have been over eighty degrees in the room, but he was shivering uncontrollably, as his body fought to overcame Tiamat's venom. He felt, appropriately, like hell on Earth, and lay unmoving, trying to make sense of the conflicting messages his body was sending him. Pain, chill, a throbbing in his head that made every previous headache he had ever experienced pale into insignificance. He tried to sit up, and wished dully that he had died, it would have hurt less.

Then he realised.

He wasn't chained.

Tiamat had finally made an error, thinking him too sick to move. Alex forced his brain into gear. This would probably be his only chance at escape, who knows how badly she would injure him the next time she wanted to discipline him. He had to get away.

Easier said than done.

He tried to stand, and he felt as though he was riding a carousel. Everything in creation was spinning round. In the end, he gave up, his stomach twisting in reaction to the instability in his balance centres. He found himself crawling slowly, but determinedly, towards the door.

It opened as he reached it.

Tiamat stared down at the human as he collapsed at her feet, his strength all but spent. Alex had just enough energy left to turn his face towards her in despair.

"Please..... let me go.......," he pleaded. With a malicious smile she dropped what she had been carrying in front of him. Alex read the front cover of the National Enquirer, and with a little moan, buried his face in his hands and began to sob hopelessly. She gathered her possession into her arms.

"Shhhh Alex. I'm sorry but it's true. Your lovely Fox has someone else now. He's replaced you. Didn't take him long, did it? No matter, I'll look after you...."

Alex fumbled blindly with his hand as Tiamat lifted him with astonishing strength. He clutched the photo of Mulder tightly. Then he was back on the bed, and with a little click, the chain was once again fastened to his collar. With an amused smile, Tiamat left her Alex to contemplate his lover's apparent betrayal. And Alex cried himself to sleep holding on to the picture of Mulder and Sean, arms entwined around each other, as they smiled happily into each others' eyes.

xx

Kulain had left before Mulder and Sean were awake because he had an agenda neither man knew about. But not, as Mulder would have suspected, for his own gain. It had been hard lately, to watch the two of them, and know what wreckage he had made of their lives. To pin all of their hopes on a pair of green eyes, instead of taking many humans and binding them to him. As part of a collective though, Fox Mulder would have been bewildered and unhappy, unable to cope with the confusion of his own sexuality and desperate to escape. In taking so few humans, Kulain was regarded as eccentric in the extreme by his own kind. They considered humans numerous enough to be expendable. And his championing of human rights was just another point against him. As a species, he considered humans well worth preserving. A little modified.

But at its best, his love life had been glorious, his pair of lovers perfectly complementing each other.

Alex........

That particular human had clawed his way into Kulain's heart, passionate and stormy, an experience he had never known before.

Kulain missed him so much, though he would have found that emotion as strange as love, even if he dared admit it to himself.

And now he had to try and persuade the others of his kind to keep to their agreement and stay in the controlled zones, a task which he feared would end in a personal challenge against him. And who would care for Mulder and Sean if he lost?

xx

Alex sat, watching the world go by down in the city, from Tiamat's penthouse windows. Inch thick one way plexi-glass, unbreakable and hiding its secrets from the world. He had little else to keep him occupied, just endless cable reruns and current affairs programs. The sad highlight of the week so far had been a celebrity watching show that had shown five seconds of Fox and Kulain at some charity show. He would have laughed, if he had not felt such weary despair. Mulder's gentle guidance of Kulain's behaviour was evident. Not that the demon lord was in the least naive about the importance of image in human society.

Since he had recovered from her last amusement, Tiamat had been coolly solicitous, as if he was a favoured possession, but she had more important things on her mind. As if she had gained all she wanted for the moment from him.

He didn't want to examine the issue too closely. There were hints of something in the back of his mind that filled him with revulsion and despondency. A vague, treacherous memory of the venom induced fever he had suffered.

Alex thought that she had used him then. That he had been exploited while he was out of his mind, for her gratification. His memories of an outrush of pleasure couldn't mean anything else.

She had sex with him. And he couldn't remember any of it.

But that would mean a betrayal of his lovers that he didn't want to contemplate, so he kept silent, and so did she. So it came as a surprise for him, when the door was unlocked and his demon captor entered, plainly irritated by something.

He forced himself to ignore the demon as she came closer, pretending to watch the world outside. As if demon senses couldn't smell the cold chill of his fear. A long taloned hand caught hold of the chain that was linked to his collar, and jerked him round. Forcing himself not to react with emotion, his head followed the tug, and he found himself on the bed next to her. Tiamat smiled hungrily, and Alex realised belatedly that she didn't want to eat, she wanted to use him for sex.

The instinct that drove her to demand pleasure was that of a succubus.

Hands began to trace their way down his nakedness. Alex despised his body for its almost instantaneous response. The aching hardness between his legs that demanded fulfilment. She had trained him well.

"I hate you!" he said in an undertone. But she heard, and gave a slightly mad laugh.

"Hate is alright, Alex. Hate keeps you alive, it makes you spirited. It proves to me that I haven't broken you yet. Do you know how close to that boundary I want to take you? Fight me Alex, I like your struggles so much."

Alex gave a snarl of rage, and pushed at her with all his strength. Then he was on top of her, launching himself at her, hands around her throat. She laughed in exhilaration. Then she shifted.

Her body became a writhing, scaled, serpent, deftly slithering its length between his legs, wrapping round his torso, imprisoning him between its gold coils. And he found his erection painfully trapped between them. He moaned, uselessly trying to free himself, desperate to avoid the erotic friction of her embrace and the effect it was having on him.

"Be still," she held him immobile until he stopped trying to escape. Alex tried for long minutes to free himself, but the only noticeable result was an increase in the ache between his legs.

"Yessss." Tiamat sighed in pleasure, as her coils readjusted themselves around him, and suddenly he was enclosed in warm wetness. The warmth tightened reflexively around him. She was shifted and he was fucking her. It had been so very long since he had penetrated a lover, and it threatened to drive him out of his mind again.

He hated her with a passionate intensity that almost drove him insane. But... oh god it felt so good to be sheathed inside her like that. No human woman had ever felt like that, an almost masculine coercion. The assault on his senses was indescribable, the scent of her arousal was driving him to madness. His body was beginning to move independently of his mind. He began to drive himself into her, screaming hate at her with each thrust. Sobbing as the bitch clasped him with the taut steel of demon muscles, calculating in her use of pressure around his betraying cock.

He came, spilling himself inside her, to his eternal shame, and collapsed into sobs on top of her. A serpent tongue chafed his lips and the tip of a prehensile serpent like-tail rubbed intimately along his inner thigh.

"You see! So very obedient!" Tiamat relaxed her hold on him, and Alex sagged on the bed next to her, his waist still wound by the narrowest coil.

xx

He was hers now. He had begun to yield. The long weeks of isolation, of helplessness, and the enforced abstinence had taken their toll. Alex Krycek thought no-one in the world cared a damn about him except her. And even hating her was better than being alone. Classic Stockholm Syndrome. Not that she trusted him in the least. But as with every problem, a solution can be found. Though Alex would fight her every step of the way, he was going to help her to break Fox Mulder. She would not even need the assistance of her alien ally.

She suppressed a little twinge of jealousy at the thought of it sliding deep inside her Alex.

No. Alex Krycek would be engineered into hurting Mulder again, this time of his own free will. For she would make the alternatives infinitely worse.

And the way he would torment himself afterwards would make Alex wholly hers. She would make his mind as compliant as his body already was. The effects of her venom had altered his genetic code enough already to make his body respond sexually to hers.......

xx

"You want me to go where......?" Mulder shook his head, disbelieving.

Kulain repeated his suggestion. He wanted Mulder AND Sean to be his dinner dates at a diplomatic reception for world leaders. And one which Kulain had most surprisingly been invited to. Well, he liked to flaunt his humans! Yet there was something missing from their lives, and he knew what it was. Alex would have given one of his deep, sensuous laughs, that started a tingling deep down inside Mulder's body, and he would have accepted the challenge. Alex loved a party.

Kulain wasn't exactly a party type.

Sean was too sensible, except when he lay beneath Kulain as the demon made love to him. Then he would express his exhilaration with life unashamedly.

Mulder had never pictured Kulain in a tuxedo, though he would probably adapt to it quickly. That form of dress was so human, and Mulder thought Kulain would appear out of place in it. He sighed. Persuading a reluctant demon to be measured up for a suit was not something he was looking forward to. Assuming he could find a tailor who would make Tower housecalls.

His mother was going to give him hell about the scandal the three of them would cause.

xx

The Cigarette Smoking Man was relieved that Alex wasn't present at his latest meeting with Tiamat. Whether he was serving as a vehicle for the alien or not, The Smoker hated the idea of Krycek knowing the intimate details of his business dealings. It was too dangerous, and he hadn't reached the top of his profession by carelessness.

"Have you got what I asked for?" Tiamat purred. She looked utterly harmless and contented, relaxing in an expensive black leather chair next to her desk. He wasn't fooled any more. Her last display had been so horrific that he was reluctant to be in the same room any more. He wondered idly if Krycek was still alive. No wonder the young fool was so scared of her. Still, if he wanted victory over the demons, he needed her inside knowledge.

"Here it is. I'm curious to know why you wanted it."

He passed the slip of paper over her desk. Tiamat reached out and pressed her intercom button, summoning her pretty secretary into the room.

"Alyssa darling, here it is. You know what to do. Be ready in three days."

The brunette smiled in adoration at her employer, and turned to leave. The Smoker caught the flash of yellow malice in her eyes, as she left, and realised that she too, was not what she seemed. Tiamat leaned back in her seat, contentedly, then contemplated her visitor, before deciding to tell him her plans. And why exactly she wanted the address of Sean Worrell's family.

xx

"Alex, darling, there's something I want you to do for me." Tiamat gently stroked a taloned finger across Alex Krycek's bare chest. She loved to take her pleasure from him, then lie at his side, a secret part of her craving humanity. He flinched, more at the use of an endearment than at her touch. Something else he was becoming accustomed to, though he could never quite hide his hatred of her. And of course his fear.

"We're going to see Fox again, my love." THAT brought the reaction she enjoyed so much. The hope that he would see his beloved again, warring with terror that she would harm Mulder. In some ways Alex was quite predictable.

"No aliens this time Alex. Just you, in a room full of witnesses including Kulain. You're going to play to an audience this time. Just a little thing. I want you to tell Mulder how much you love me, and how you want to marry me...."

She enjoyed, too, the hiss of disbelief he gave.

"You're crazy! I won't hurt Fox again! I'll make sure Kulain kills you for what you've done!"

Tiamat laughed. Alex was about to find out how outclassed he was, in the hands of a master manipulator.

"You'll do what you're told Alex! You'll go up to Mulder and break his heart all over again, and he'll never know it was a lie. Because if you don't, My little secretary Alyssa will have Sean's family killed. She's been watching them for days, and I told her exactly when to do it. Unless she hears from me at exactly the right time, that is."

Tiamat watched the play of emotions across Alex's handsome face. The hope that crumbled into torment as he realised what he would have to do.

"Choose Alex. You could have your lovers back, and your revenge on me. But only if you destroy Sean. Is Mulder worth that much to you, Alex? The life of a woman and child you've never met, or the hatred of an ex- lover? Make your choice."

"What choice!" Alex whispered numbly. "You know what I'll do."

xx

Mulder grinned admiringly at Sean. The ex-bodyguard was rapidly becoming the best friend Mulder had ever had. There was something about sharing Kulain's bed that had brought down the barriers between them, so that they weren't afraid to show each other affection. Mulder actually liked Sean's hugs, the quick mind and the caring concern he displayed for Mulder. Yet they weren't lovers. That first time had scared both of them too much. And after Alex....... Well, there was no comparison.

He knew he would be doomed to contrast every other man he would ever meet to Alex, for the rest of his life, and they would never, ever equal him. There was no "after Alex." Maybe if he had met Sean first, there could have been something. But Sean seemed to understand, and his support had meant a lot to Mulder. Kulain kept Sean more than satisfied in bed anyway. And Sean loved the demon to distraction. They had even compared notes, one slightly drunken night.....

Yes, Sean looked good in a tuxedo. But Kulain! His dignity had been offended when both of his humans had burst out laughing after one glimpse of "the Suit."

If life wasn't exactly wonderful, at least it could be endured.

The diplomatic reception was being held at the White House. And Kulain was one of the guests of honour. Quite a public relations coup for the demon lord. Mulder wondered how he had engineered it. But he supposed that the President would have little choice but to yield to Kulain's demands. It wasn't often that Kulain used the advantage that demons had over humans. The control virus that most of the population had been exposed to. But when he wanted something badly, he had few restraints on his behaviour. Mulder just didn't know why this event was so important to Kulain.

Arriving at the White House at Kulain's side had been incredible. He and Sean had both looked good, but Kulain.....! He had forsworn human dress codes in the end, and wore something clinging and dark, so that he seemed to be clothed in shadows. Mulder had never felt the darkness that lurked in his lover so keenly. There was an aura about him that reduced even the boldest of the crowd of spectators to silence, as the trio walked into the reception. And the diplomats waiting to meet him had been reduced to stammering fear.

The demon lord disappeared within minutes of arriving at the reception, leaving Mulder and Sean to their own devices. Which, at the moment, appeared to be as objects of open curiosity and distaste by the guests at this social gathering. Mulder was glad that he had Sean to give him support. As a veteran of many such gatherings, in his former career, Sean knew how to stay calm and relaxed, and kept up a quiet dialogue about various guests and their scandalous private lives that kept Mulder from becoming anxious or bored. Finally the young bodyguard even became a little overwhelmed by the polite but empty conversations.

"You want a glass of good wine, Fox? I spotted an old friend over there who I know keeps a private stock on hand during events like this." He indicated the British Ambassador, who owed his life to Kulain and Sean. Mulder nodded, and Sean headed towards the old man.

No-one seemed particularly interested in talking to the "traitor" at the moment. Mulder didn't mind. He felt so out of place at events like this anyway. And he and Sean had outraged some of the more conservative guests by their obvious affection. Perhaps it hadn't quite been tactful for Sean to spend half the evening with his arm around Mulder's waist, but it had seemed necessary at the time. Supportive and understanding. Also open to misinterpretation, not that he gave a damn.

He scanned the crowd, looking for Sean, who had disappeared from view.

Then he saw an oddly familiar dark haired figure. His heart leapt. He couldn't see the man's face, but it could almost be........

Alex!

The figure turned, even as he stared at it. He had heard of people's eyes meeting across a crowded room, but he hadn't understood what they meant until that moment. Alex saw him. Something seemed to flash in those intense green eyes, then slowly, inevitably, Alex began to move through the crowd towards him.

xx

Alex and his lovely escort had arrived at the White House much later than Mulder, and in fact, had only been at the reception for a short time before Mulder had spotted him. Of course Tanya Bright, Tiamat's human persona, would get an invitation to an exclusive event like this. Especially with a campaign contribution of half a million dollars.

Tiamat had held onto Alex's arm from the minute they had entered the building. She had caused quite a stir when they entered the reception building, since her outfit, designed by a rising star of fashion, was made exclusively of gold chainmail. It most closely resembled the infamous costume Tina Turner had worn for her Mad Max music videos. She was definitely in control.

"I'm staying close to you Alex. Just in case you get any silly ideas. I can kill you and most of the people around me, before anyone can stop me. Even another demon."

Alex didn't doubt it.

It had been a shock to spot Fox though. He looked diminished somehow. Older and less sure of himself. With a hint of sadness that only Alex could have detected. It was incredibly hard to stop himself from running forward and pulling Fox into his arms. Only later would he realise that the moment their eyes had met, he must have driven his nails into the palms of his hands with force enough to draw blood. He heard Tiamat give a little chuckle.

"You're on Alex. But remember, I won't go far away."

The crowds parted, and suddenly there he was. Fox Mulder, the man he loved. They approached each other. Stood silently facing each other, neither wanting to speak first. Alex found that he didn't want to break into that moment either. When, just for an instant, the two of them could pretend all was as it had been. Mulder looked so sad.

"Alex....."

Just the sound of his voice was sufficient. The throaty sensuality of Mulder's voice was enough to unman him. Then he caught sight of Tiamat watching him through the crowd, smiling maliciously.

"It's been a while Mulder. You've been in the news a lot, I've noticed." It was easy to say that. To insert a hint of anger into his voice at Mulder's rapid cultivation of Sean. Mulder flinched, brown eyes widening at the barbed comment Alex made.

"You mean the National Inquirer stuff! Well I guess you can't have a romantic candlelit dinner in private these days, without the press getting the story!" Mulder retaliated coldly. Alex felt a pain as intense as if he had been shot.

"I never have a problem like that with my lover." Alex replied. There. Surely she would be satisfied with THAT. It had the required effect on Mulder, whose face slowly drained of colour.

"Damn you to hell!" he whispered.

Alex wanted to scream that he was already there. He opened his mouth, to tell Mulder everything and damn the consequences. It was Sean's return that saved him. The bodyguard appeared out of the crowd at Mulder's side. He took in Mulder's appearance, then he saw Alex. An arm snaked around Mulder's waist and he leaned supportively against the Englishman.

v "The rat's crawled out of the sewer then!" he said icily. His disgust was apparent.

"I was just......." Alex began.

".......Telling Mulder about me! Isn't that right, darling?"

Tiamat materialised from the crowd, and took Alex's hand. She smiled triumphantly.

"Tell them Alex!" Her fingers tightened warningly over Alex's.

"This is the woman I love. We're getting married!" Though he said it dully, neither of the two men noticed. Mulder shook his head in denial.

"Oh you bastard. You son of a bitch! How could you.....? With her of all people!"

Mulder leaned his head against Sean's shoulder. Sean didn't understand quite what was going on between Mulder and Tiamat. He didn't recognise her, but it was obvious that they had some kind of prior history. And that Mulder hated her. He was furious that Alex had hurt Mulder.

"What sort of abusive relationship did you have Krycek? You obviously don't give a damn about him!"

Alex flushed in fury. He had no idea! The sorry son of a bitch who had taken Mulder away from him. Didn't he know what Alex was giving up for him! Momentarily, his anger and frustration were overwhelming, and he lunged forward, intent on punching Sean as hard as he could. Tiamat's iron grip on his arm stopped him cold. Though Sean and Mulder saw his response, and Tia's amusement.

"C'mon Fox! Let's go get that burgundy I promised you. Leave the rats to play their games with someone else!"

Mulder didn't move.

"Just tell me one thing..... Krycek...." Alex had never heard Mulder so bitter. "Why?"

"Remember back in Hong Kong, years ago? When we were enemies. Well I feel the same way about you as I did when you brought me back in handcuffs. You shouldn't have forgotten how much of an enemy I was."

He turned to Tiamat. "Let's get out of here!" Pleased, she let him lead her away.

"Sean, take me home please," Mulder whispered. He could barely stand, he was shaking so much. Sadly his friend did as he was asked. How much more would Mulder have to suffer?

xx

Kulain had been meeting with several diplomats while Tiamat had been twisting the knife in Mulder's heart. He would normally have sensed the presence of a powerful demon close to him.

Normally.....

But not when he was sitting by the side of two other demons, who were his equals in power. The leaders of the Red and Blue Towers.

The leader of the Red Tower was, to human eyes, a pretty redhead. Kulain noted with approval that Fiamma had finally perfected her human form. Though the ruby eyes would, of course, fool no-one.

The blue eyed leader of the New York Tower, Azael, on the other hand, was apparently a handsome young man in his twenties. However, as befits the demon who had sired Ash, he was one of the most prolific killers Kulain had ever known.

The three of them had a message to pass on to many of the world leaders. Submit their populations to genetic testing, and give the information to the demons. Kulain wasn't anticipating any resistance from the humans. Not when it was only his presence that was stopping his allies from cutting a swathe through the human prey in this place.

xx

Tiamat had quickly hustled Alex out of the reception. Alex was on the edge of breakdown, and she didn't want to be in public when he lost control. In fact, within a few moments of climbing into her limousine, he broke down in tears. She pushed him away from her, onto the floor, mildly disgusted at his blubbering. She would soon cure him of his absurd devotion to Fox Mulder. It was disappointing that he still held some ridiculous hope that Mulder would take him back.

xx

Had he been in hell before? Then where was he now? Wherever it was, he found it almost impossible to bear the pain he felt. He had done what she wanted, though it broke his heart to do it. He would never forgive himself. Better to have died, than to cause that pain in Fox's eyes. But he was too much of a survivor for that. Her whore.

Would Mulder live up to his high expectations?

Fox Mulder was renowned as a brilliant investigator, who could put together the tiniest clues to make deductions. Would the risk Alex had taken be worth it? He had taken a desperate chance, referring to Hong Kong and its aftermath. It was a tiny hope, but the only one he had. So far, Tiamat hadn't spotted his rebellion. Could he hide his secret from her?

There was a tug on the collar he wore, and he realised he was once again chained.

Oh Fox! Do you love me so much that you'll see through the lies? Help me...... Please......

xx

Life is always surprising us—not by its rich, seething layer of bestial refuse—but by the bright, healthy and creative human powers of goodness that are forever forcing their way up through it. It is those powers that awaken our indestructible hope that a brighter, better and more humane life will once again be reborn.

Maxim Gorky—My childhood

xx

Sean gently offered Mulder a cup of his favourite fresh coffee. Anything to get a response from the silent, heartbroken man who sat uncaring in front of him. Mulder took the proffered cup, and stared into its depths, as if he could see the world inside it. Sean sat down next to Mulder, and put his arm around the agent. Slowly Mulder turned to face him, tears trickling, unstoppable, down his face. Then he was clinging to Sean, weeping desperately. Sean didn't know what to say, so he just held Fox until the latest bout of misery eased. Then, desperate for something to take Mulder's mind off that devastating self destructive spiral, he searched in his mind for a topic of conversation.

"Was it my imagination, Fox, or have you and that woman met before?"

Mulder gave a short, bitter laugh.

"Oh yeah! She gave me these!" He pulled open his shirt and pointed to the bite mark on his arm, and the small, very faint scar in the centre of his chest. Seeing Sean's puzzlement, he explained further.

"She's a renegade demon. She bit me while she was holding me hostage against Kulain. Then later, to get her revenge, she shot me with a crossbow bolt! I nearly died!" Sean drew him closer, ignoring his own comfort. Mulder sounded muffled against his shoulder. "If it hadn't been for Alex, I would have died....."

"Then I don't understand why he's with her now?" Sean was mystified. "Anyway, what did he mean by Hong Kong?"

Mulder straightened, watching him.

"It was years ago. Back when Alex worked for the Consortium. I took him prisoner after I caught him selling U.S. secrets to other countries." A ghost of a grin brightened his expression. "Yeah, Alex was pretty wild in those days! Anyway, what I didn't know was that he'd been taken over by this alien thing, it was using his body as a host. I rode around for nearly a day with a mind controlling alien and I never even spotted the change......... Oh my god..............."

He was on his feet, desperately shaking his head in denial. Sean gaped at him.

".......It can't be that simple! It can't be THAT!....... Tell me he didn't just try to warn us what was really going on!........ because if that's what happened to him, we've just let him spend months in their hands without even trying to help him......." He slammed his hands against the wall. "....Tell me he wasn't trying to get help, Sean........!"

The young bodyguard shook his own head in bewilderment at Mulder's babbling. His friend sounded almost manic.

"I don't know......" he replied. "How do you know Alex isn't just trying to fuck with your mind again? If he was in trouble, why didn't he just ask us straight out for help. Surely the three of us plus Kulain could have taken care of her!"

Mulder sank onto the seat. Sean saw the flash of uncertainty he tried to hide. Then Mulder gave a mocking little smile.

"Maybe you're right Sean. But I have to know. Don't you understand. I can't let this pass. If there's only the tiniest chance that he still loves me...... I have to find out!" He meditated for a moment. "Let's think this through..... Let's assume that Alex is in trouble. He's obviously in control of his mind, otherwise he couldn't warn us of anything. So there must be something else stopping him from speaking. He wouldn't give a damn about the diplomats, so it's not fear of her hurting them. What would keep him quiet.....?"

"Some kind of threat....?" Sean asked. He could see how much Mulder needed to run with this.

"Yeah! It has to be that! But the only thing Alex would be afraid for is........ us! Something that threatens one of us!"

"No-one could get through the security Kulain has on the tower! Take it from an expert." Sean said.

"Alex did, when he was carrying the alien!" Mulder said.

"That's only a hypothesis!" Sean protested.

"Okay. I'll grant you that the security is good. But Alex couldn't get back in now. So that leaves us. We could be her targets. Somehow, she has a way to get to us, to hurt us........ But how?"

Sean considered the problem professionally. "I was always taught that if they can't get at a primary target, terrorists will go for an alternative, someone as close to the source as possible!"

Mulder's eyes went wide. "Our families! Suppose Tia has someone who could get at them.....Kill them!....."

Sean shivered. "This is just supposition. It may even be Krycek's lies!"

"You want to take the chance with your daughter Sean?" The bodyguard shook his head. "Look, it's easy for me to get my family into a safe house, they're here in Washington already. I'll make sure they're safe, then I'm going to track down Alex. I'm going to make damn sure he's safe. I need to do this!"

"I know!" Sean clasped his hand. "It's obvious you still love him. But be careful!" In truth, he had never seen Mulder so animated, so alive and purposeful. He realised how much of a shadow the agent had been living under, now that he had hope again, and the darkness had lifted. Mulder frowned.

"If Kulain finds out what I'm doing, he'll be furious. Can you keep him out of my way for a while? He'd kill Alex if he decided I was being hurt at all by this."

"Maybe he can be my escort to England! I have to check on my daughter.... If there are demons there, I'll need backup." Mulder nodded.

"And if it's true, we prove Alex innocent!" His eyes shone with hope.

Sean reached for the phone. After the last time in the friendly country of his birth, he wanted a friend there to check on his ex-wife and daughter. Right now. His former colleague Liz Shore owed him a favour or two, and she at least, would understand his worry.

xx

Kulain arrived back at the Green Tower, irritated by his dealings with the other demons, and longing for the affectionate contact of his two sweet lovers. He was in for a surprise. Mulder seemed to have disappeared, and Sean was packing a travel bag. He grinned ruefully at the demon.

"Er...... I have to go on a trip to England. I could use your company." The demon folded his arms and leaned against the door frame, distinctly unhappy with the idea. Sean realised this was not going well.

"I need to take care of some unfinished business. Please. It's important to me!"

Sean tried his puppy dog act. Mulder had told him on several occasions how cute he looked when he tried to look innocent. The frown Kulain bore didn't alter in the slightest. Sean reflected that a few weeks ago, he wouldn't have dared stand up to the most powerful man in America like this.

"Please..... I'll do whatever it takes to make it up to you!"

A softening of the dark scowl.

"Anything?"

Oh shit! What had he got himself into? But he didn't have much choice, and besides, Kulain hadn't noticed Mulder's absence yet.

"Yes!" Sean blushed. He had no doubt that he would pay for inconveniencing Kulain. It was just how that worried him. Whatever the demon was planning, apparently amused him a great deal.

"Come here Sean!"

The young bodyguard apprehensively approached Kulain. He trusted his lover not to hurt him, but he knew how inexperienced he was. How intimidating it was to try and please as skilled a partner as Kulain. A taloned hand rested on his shoulder, a gentle pressure pushing him to him knees before his lover. Sean began to get an idea of what was required of him, and fearfully watched, as Kulain's clothes were discarded to reveal his large, newly erect cock. Kulain's smile was knowing, slightly cruel.

"You know that habit you have of sucking on anything that comes near you, Sean......... It's time you put your talent to good use! He gently drew the bodyguard towards him, tilted his chin up, and leaned forward to kiss him. Then he rested taloned fingers at the back of the human's neck and drew him closer. Tentatively, Sean leaned forward and gave a small lick to the head of his lover's cock. His eyes lifted in wonder. and he smiled brilliantly. Then he lowered his mouth, and Kulain began to instruct him in what was most pleasurable. At least, while he could still issue instructions.

Sean had been a little scared of this. The moment which he had been anticipating for some time. The first time he had dared to taste Kulain like that. He hadn't known what to expect from a demon. Certainly not this addictive masculine flavour that triggered a craving in him for more. But then, being with Kulain had always short circuited any link between his body and his ability to reason.

The world had narrowed to the hardness that he gripped firmly in one fist, as he drew it repeatedly into his mouth. He was still slightly afraid to take it fully inside him, but Kulain tasted so good. He felt his own body responding to his lover's closeness, to the small sounds Kulain made as he continued to suck on the demon's cock. He managed to cast a glance at his lover's face. Kulain's pupils were dilated more fully than he had ever seen before, making it obvious that he wasn't human. An undiluted green intensity, full of the wildness of nature. Kulain was pleased with his poor efforts. More than that, Sean's sensual mouth and hands were making him lose control. A long taloned hand wove through his hair, resting against the top of Sean's head, as if in blessing.

Kulain moaned, a deep growling sound that reminded the human how dangerous his partner really was. Paradoxically, Sean felt his own cock leap at the sound. His movements became less co-ordinated, as his arousal grew.

"Do it Sean!" A snarl of desire.

He was doing this! He was deliberately making a deadly being lose control, more than he ever had before with Sean. He must be crazy!

The grip on his hair tightened. This time it was Sean who moaned. Kulain's other hand reached down, and grabbed his wrist, claws sinking into it. He was forced to let go of Kulain's cock, gasping as small trickles of blood began to drip from where talons pierced his skin. Kulain's grip on his wrist tightened further. Then the demon pulled on Sean's hair, forcing the bodyguard to deep throat him.

He couldn't have stopped, even if Kulain had allowed it, which wasn't an option. It was the first time he had done this, but Sean wanted to please his lover. And, god help him, he liked doing it. Kulain's taste was driving him into a frenzy beyond his understanding. A physical need in the part of him that was demon ruled. And besides, having the Lord of Washington inside of him in any way was incredibly arousing. He had discovered quite quickly that just because he was on his knees, didn't mean he wasn't in control of Kulain's responses.

The demon exploded into Sean, and he instinctively swallowed the stream of semen that flooded down his throat.

Just that alone made him come.

Afterwards, he stayed on his knees, leaning against Kulain's firm body, resting his head against the flat belly. The hand tangled in his hair was gently loosened, and began to stroke the bodyguard's head gently.

"You're beautiful, Sean!" In aftermath, Kulain was warm and generous. Then he slowly lifted Sean's torn wrist. "I'm sorry I hurt you!" The demon raised the bloody scratches to his lips and licked off the blood. And Sean stared in awe at the healed skin that was revealed beneath the red stains when Kulain had finished.

xx

Got to get away! Got to find a way out! Hate her..... HATE HER!! Kill the fucking bitch...... Kulain, I'm sorry..... Please....... Need a weapon..... It'll never work....... She's so strong........ Fox....

xx

Tiamat was having her own troubles with Kulain's former lover. Alex wasn't behaving himself. Her pretty human had decided to rebel a little. She glared angrily at Alex, who was sprawled naked on her bed, chained and delightfully appetising. She wanted to pounce on him, hold him down, and enjoy his struggles, before she forced him to do her bidding. Unfortunately, the evening of hot sex and cruelty she had anticipated hadn't quite gone according to plan. Somehow, Alex Krycek had gotten hold of a weapon, a pathetically small knife, and he was desperately trying to scare her away. How pitiable it was! He could not possibly do her serious harm with it, and she felt no fear. But there was the remote possibility that he could try to harm himself with it. Someone careless among the guards must have left it within his reach, on his food tray perhaps. Or her jealous little secretary Alyssa could have engineered this.

Alex swung the small blade towards her, forcing her to retreat. The blade seemed to give him some measure of courage, and she found herself admiring the play of light on his firm young body, as he moved. He wouldn't be able to hold her off forever, and with a growing sense of delight, she anticipated how she was going to make him pay. After all, like a spirited Arabian stallion, the best bloodlines were always fiery and hard to tame. But they were always trained to the bit eventually.

He began to tire eventually, his efforts to keep her at bay becoming slower and less effective. And in a single impossibly fast movement, she knocked the blade from his hand, slamming his body down onto the bed and pinning the struggling human beneath her. Exquisite. For a few minutes she just let him fight uselessly, until finally, he seemed to realise how futile his movements were and lay still beneath her, panting with the exertion. She also delighted in feeling the rapid rise and fall of his chest, and the pulse of hot blood through his body. She just stared at him, letting him see her power, her irritation. Again, it was delicious to see the dawn of fear in green eyes, the low whimper he made as he realised that he was going to be punished.

"Please......" The tiniest of whispers, trying to stave off the inevitable. She relished it. A month ago, he wouldn't have been docile enough to think of begging. Because he had, she would make his chastisement a tiny fraction less severe.

"Alex!" She spoke his name warmly, filled with her affection for him. He was so good to satisfy her needs like this. With a devoted smile, she shifted to her demon form, and with exquisite tenderness, bit his nipple gently. And as her fangs pumped venom into his flesh and he began screaming, she was filled to overflowing with tender love for him.


........::whimper::..........


Sean and his dark lover had been met in a quiet corner of London by Liz Shore. His friend had called in a few favours, and had borrowed a limousine for the day, with dark tinted windows. At least there wasn't going to be the embarrassment to the government of having a demon running round the English countryside in full view of the public. If they ever found out, that is. Liz had left another friend in charge of his family's security, and she gave him brief details as they drove northwards. He hated to think of how many favours he would owe her by the time this was over.

Kulain was no fool. The moment Liz started talking about security, he had turned to stare unnervingly at Sean, his head tilted slightly on one side, as he assessed this new information.

"Who do you fear, Sean?" An explosive question, quietly spoken. The young bodyguard flushed. He had been dreading this.

"Mulder said I ought to check on my family. His have had some trouble...."

Green eyes narrowed to slits. Sean swallowed.

"Don't lie to me Sean. You don't do it well enough. Tell me!" Sean saw Liz turn to stare at him in surprise. Then Kulain caught hold of his chin, forcing the bodyguard face him. Sean shivered at the deadly anger he saw the demon display.

"He thought...... a demon was after my family!" Astonishment replaced the anger.

"So you thought of me! So I do have my uses then!" Kulain sounded bitter. If he didn't know better, Sean would have thought Kulain was upset. But surely a demon couldn't feel such a human emotion? "And how did my lover come to have this remarkable information?" Sean felt a reluctant respect for Kulain. Straight to the point, with unnerving intelligence.

"He... that is....."

"Yes?"

"Alex told him...."

Kulain flinched visibly. The hand that had been holding Sean was abruptly released, and the demon sank back into the seat. He closed his eyes, covered them with his hand momentarily, in what could have been pain or merely tiredness. Liz was trying not to draw attention to herself, but was plainly fascinated by this glimpse of demon emotion.

"So. My lovers are involving me in a conspiracy on the word of someone who betrayed us all?" Was Sean dreaming, or was there a world of grief in those words. Unfortunately, Sean couldn't tell whether it was for Mulder or Alex. Slowly, he reached out, and his hand closed over Kulain's, gripping it tightly. He had never wanted to hurt the being he loved. The intimate gesture was accepted.

"Mulder needed to know if Alex was in trouble. He thought there was some sort of conspiracy.... If we find a demon near my family, we'll know for sure....."

"Mulder has been chasing plots and intrigues for as long as I've known him." Kulain said softly. "Why am I surprised?" He shook his head. "Alright, Sean. We can check if they are safe. I can understand your worry."

He drew the bodyguard closer to him, so that Sean's head was resting against his shoulder, Kulain's arm round him. In the back of the limousine, lulled by the car's motion as it travelled the miles towards Northumberland, it was a comforting position. It never occurred to Sean that it wasn't just for his benefit.

xx

Alex huddled on the bed, as far away from the sleeping Tiamat as it was possible to move, considering she kept him on quite a short chain. Deliberately of course; it wouldn't do to have her pleasures interrupted by having to catch him first. He could still feel the after-effects of last night's little entertainments. His left nipple was painfully sore. The two small punctures left by her fangs were swollen and surrounded by purplish-yellow bruises. His inner thighs were also abraded in several sensitive spots by the scales that had slid across them.

Worst of all though, was the fear. He hadn't reacted that way the last time she had bitten him. This time he remembered everything. Being out of control, his body answering hers, the burning heat of desire that had consumed him. Her soft, manic laughter as he pounded his way into her. Her ecstatic screams as she came, talons sinking into his shoulders. Quite when she had shifted, he wasn't sure, and shamefully, he had continued to pleasure her, whatever her form.

Now, he just wanted to curl up and die. His body aching, his mind a turmoil of hate and confusion, he wondered what else she had planned for him. For it was obvious that he was her slave in all but name. The memory of a pair of hazel eyes, and their glowing green companions was becoming more and more distant. It was becoming hard to remember what it felt like to be with them. And worst of all, when he had caught sight of his reflection in the mirrored ceiling this morning, a pair of gold- flecked green eyes had stared back at him. He was changing again, as she modified his body with her gene altering venom. And he sobbed as he realised that he was helpless to stop it.

xx

Please Fox come get me..... Please Fox help me..... Please...........

xx

Mulder wondered once again, what he was doing here. He had arrived that morning in Vegas, trying to track down Alex. The cops Alex had worked with on his last case claimed not to have seen him for weeks, and they thought he had headed back to Washington. He hadn't been seen around the city, or particularly, in the large casino complex where the murders had taken place. It sounded like the sort of dirty business Tiamat would be involved in, but no new clues had materialised in the case.

So Mulder found himself prowling the complex, as Alex once had, trying to find some sign of his former lover. Some trace of his presence, or of the demon bitch who he feared had taken Alex captive. There was nothing. If the two he sought were there, he could find no trace of them. But his beloved Alex was worth more than one days searching. He wouldn't rest until he had answers.

Even unwelcome ones.

xx

Tiamat stared coldly at the surveillance footage. Oh yes, she had recognised him straight away! Fox Mulder. She felt a cold knot of rage ignite inside her. How and why had he tracked Alex here? Plainly he was in control, and far from the miserable wreck she had last seen in Washington. If his motive wasn't grief or madness, then somehow he must have found out the truth about Alex. But his foolishness in coming here alone gave her a chance to rescue some of her plans. She would have to leave Vegas for the moment, but it was an opportune moment to further her cause with her allies. Fox Mulder should have been broken by now. But there was still a delicious opportunity to make him suffer.

She slipped through the service corridors, and made her way to her penthouse rooms, entering silently. She paused in admiration at the sight before her. Alex Krycek lay naked on her bed, sleeping, his body bared in all its splendour to her appreciative gaze. One hand clutched loosely at the deceptively delicate silver chain that fastened at his throat. Despite her anger, she found herself smiling at her beautiful prize. Mulder wasn't going to have him. Oh no.

She rummaged in the detritus of her desk until she found the human device she sought. Then, finding a suitable viewpoint, she used the camera to take a picture of the vulnerable human, displayed as he was in her bed, chain and all.

Sleepily, Alex raised his head, rubbed his eyes, then stared at her apprehensively. She retrieved the other item which had been returned to her that morning, most opportunely. Alex whimpered when he saw what she held.

"Not for long dear one! But you have to take my ally to a place he wants to investigate. And he must stay concealed for the moment. She opened the container, and watched with a little regret as the black oil alien slid out from its container and towards Alex. He knew it was useless to protest, but tears ran down his face as he watched it approach. It took him with barely a sound.

A pity she didn't dare kill Fox Mulder, Kulain's angry retaliation would upset her plans. It never occurred to her that he could consider Alex more than an abandoned possession.

And Alex faced interesting times ahead.

xx

Mulder looked round in surprise and alarm, as his name was called over the public address system. With a sinking feeling, he approached the nearest information desk, and found a smiling girl who offered him a sealed envelope. Reluctantly, he opened it. Two things fell out. A photo and a piece of paper. He stared at the picture, his world turning to desolation, as the tears ran unheeded down his cheeks.

Alex lay chained to a bed, sleeping, looking so very innocent and unprotected, his skin marked by bruises.

And the note. Unsigned.

A present for you Fox. He's mine now! You're too late, by the time you read this, we'll be gone. Every time I enjoy him, I'll think of you

The gamblers in the casino must have thought he was mad, as his knees gave way under him, and he sat in the middle of the carpet, staring blindly into space, his white knuckled grasp around a picture, the only remnant he had left of Alex.

xx

Sean wasn't looking forward to meeting Donna, his ex-wife after so long. He had promised to keep in regular contact with his daughter, but the assignment in Washington had prevented him from keeping his promise. And her open hostility towards him.

They had married far too young, of course. He had been a young police trainee, and she had been an aspiring law student at London University. And though he hadn't realised it at the time, her pregnancy and their subsequent marriage had been a brief act of rebellion against her rich parents. It had lasted barely three years, long enough for her to realise how important money and status really were to her, so in the end, return to her wealthy lifestyle had been inevitable. The only remnant of that confused time in their lives was his seven year old daughter Claire, one of the few precious things in his life.

He wondered what their reaction would be when he turned up on their doorstep after so long, with a new lover, who had the dubious honour of being both male and non-human. It would certainly offend their conservative moral values. And more importantly, his choice of partner had put them at risk. This was going to be tough!

As they drew up the drive to the expensive Georgian mansion house, he noted with professional approval the security detail Liz had put in place outside the house. That would also be counted against him. He decided he would have to meet his family first, before he dreamed of introducing Kulain to them.

Leaving Liz and Kulain in the limousine, he slowly approached the entrance. He realised almost immediately that from the sounds of merriment coming from the back of the house, there was probably a garden party in progress. He could hear children's laughter and the buzz of conversation, in the hot afternoon sun. Following the sounds, he came upon a small group of adults watching as several children, among them his daughter, played hide and seek in the gardens. An idyllic scene.

"Hello Donna!" Sean said. His ex-wife whirled, and immediately grabbed his arm, steering him away from the party of guests, some of whom watched with interest.

"You son of a bitch! You're not welcome here after what you did! The press camped out around the house for weeks, trying to get Claire's picture. And we had to change schools to get some privacy. How could you? Sleeping with someone like Fox Mulder! A traitor!"

"It wasn't like that! It was only the once........!" Without knowing why, he found himself trying to justify himself to her. "We're just good friends....."

He should have expected the open disgust she displayed, but it still hurt. Then he drew a deep breath, ignoring her muttered abuse. "I just want to make sure Claire is safe, that's all."

"So you turn up at her cousin's birthday party? I hope you didn't bring that horrible American with you, I don't know what the family will say!"

"No I bloody well didn't! You're always so worried about what the neighbours will say, aren't you!"

"You could have had such a wonderful future Sean, if you hadn't turned down Daddy's offer of a place in his firm. You could have made such important friends!" Sean grinned finally, the irony of his life hadn't escaped him.

"I made a few significant contacts of my own, Donna!"

At that moment, his father in law caught sight of him, and his face flushed brick red in rage. He strode over towards them, and opened his mouth to give Sean a piece of his mind.

It was at that moment that Kulain emerged round the corner, wearing dark sunglasses, but otherwise totally recognisable from a thousand interviews and pictures. The words died unspoken in his father in law's throat. With an amused smile, Kulain strolled over to Sean, gently rested his hands on the human's shoulders, and studied the two frightened people in front of him.

"Having fun Sean?" The bodyguard was attuned enough to his lover by now to hear the rich amusement in the demon's voice. Oh yes, he loved to shock. The sudden warmth of arms around his waist as Kulain stood behind him was probably responsible for his father in law's goldfish impersonation.

"Donna, isn't it?" Kulain was at his most charming. "Perhaps you could let me sample your wonderful whiskey, Sean was telling me about it." She nodded, eyes wide and frightened, and then fled. By now, some of the guests had noticed their unexpected visitor, and many of them looked awed. He probably didn't seem very threatening, displaying open affection for Sean. The young bodyguard was having a hard time concentrating, Kulain was enjoying a secret amusement with slyly intimate caresses of Sean's body, hidden from sight along the length of his back. Sean felt his breathing getting faster, and tried to pull away, but the demon's grip, though carefully gently, was unbreakable. Oh god, he wanted to open himself to Kulain right here, in front of everyone, to back his ass in small circles against the hardness he could feel pressing into him, to bend and let himself be fucked senseless. He hoped people blamed his blush on the heat of the sun.

When did he get to be such a slut........?

Then with a squeal, his young daughter charged towards him. Mercifully Kulain released him, and Sean reached out to catch hold of her, and give her a hug.

The attack was totally unexpected.

The petite blonde nanny, who had been supervising the children's games suddenly lunged towards Sean and his daughter, long talons spearing towards Claire's head. Only the instincts that came from his demon heritage saved the child. It was a reflex deeper than conscious thought that made Sean grab his daughter and shield her from the ripping attack with his own body. He screamed as his back and shoulder were torn open by the impact of claws, even as he spun away from the nanny, whose eyes flared gold. And Kulain was there, moving past him at inhuman speed, pushing him out of danger, and seizing the demon woman by the throat. She howled her hatred of him, and tried to wrestle herself free, claws arcing towards Sean again. With incredible strength, Kulain flung her towards the black iron railings that bordered that side of the garden. She screamed in agony as she was impaled on their metal spikes, and twisted in a last, hopeless effort, before going still, the yellow glow fading to blackness in her eyes.

There was a deathly hush, only broken by children's sobs. Kulain gently reached out and took Sean into his arms, as Claire fled sobbing into her mother's arms.

"Get out Sean! Take your..... friend with you!" Donna was almost hysterical. "Don't ever come back!"

The bodyguard stared desolately at her.

"Please....... Donna...... You were all in danger." But her expression was implacable. Sean leaned against Kulain then, no longer caring, and clung to him. He doubted that he would get close to his daughter again for at least a hundred years. And the British Authorities weren't exactly going to be pleased with demon slayings in leafy suburbia. He tried to ignore the dull ache in his injured shoulder, then Kulain's hands were smoothing across his skin, taking away the pain and soothing the hurt.

Kulain looked perplexed by the events of the day. His eyes reflected his confusion, intensely green and stormy.

"Hypothesis proved Sean. Now where does that leave us?"

"We need to speak to Mulder...... He'll explain everything!" Sean replied tiredly.

Green eyes narrowed.

"I hope!" Sean muttered, as the gate fire enfolded them.

xx

It was early morning in Washington, when they arrived back at the Tower. And more news awaited them. The first thing the two of them saw, on entering the tower was Fox Mulder, sitting, head bowed, obviously upset.

"Fox?" Kulain moved towards his lover and gently knelt before him, taking his hand. "You're trembling?" Mulder reluctantly extended one hand, holding out a slightly crumpled photograph.

Kulain stared at the evidence he held. Alex. Naked and in chains, looking so very vulnerable.

"It was all a trick by Tiamat. He never betrayed us!" Kulain had frozen, utterly still, as Mulder began to sob. "He always loved us, and we abandoned him...... And now he's gone, she's taken him away!"

Kulain flung back his head and howled, an inhuman sound of pain and grief. If the two men had ever doubted that the demon could feel love, their worries were proved to be groundless. Kulain had lost control and screamed his denial to the skies. His human form wavered and vanished, as he shifted to his true form, and for a brief moment, gatefire outlined his body in a ghastly glow. Then Mulder was pulling him close, holding him tightly, as once he had been held, as the two of them grieved for what had been lost.

"I'll find him!" Mulder said. "I swear.... I'll never stop looking until I can hold him again!" Kulain's arms tightened almost crushingly around his lover, openly showing his feelings as never before. And he found human grief harder to cope with than the most dangerous of enemies he had ever faced.

His beautiful Alex. His sweet, sensuous, passionate lover was lost to him. He had tried to ignore the love he felt, the weakness, dismissing his feelings as human foolishness. Especially when Alex had betrayed him. He would not make that mistake again. Though he as yet poorly understood the concept of love, he would make Sean and Mulder more precious to him than any possession. And Alex......!

xx

Sean had forgotten what Kulain was. Not intellectually, but at that instinctive level where a prey animal is faced with a hungry predator. Now once again, he saw Kulain in his true form, for only the second time in his life. He ran. He had to get away from the demonic creature he saw before him. Kulain's love and tenderness were forgotten. There was only the gut wrenching panic that drove him away from the being he had thought he loved. That was the creature he had willingly spread his legs for, the lover he had knelt before and sucked dry. He had to think, to try and resolve the turmoil inside his head.

The two grieving lovers of Alex Krycek had both turned at Sean's shocked gasp and the rapidly receding sound of his retreat. Kulain sighed heavily, and pulled Mulder closer.

"Life's a bitch!" he said sadly.

xx

Alex waited impassively for her, as she completed the formalities, and entered the city. Humans would have found it strange that demons so closely regulated the borders of their city, but they were wary of their status as a conquering force in enemy territory. Every being who sought entry into the city was carefully vetted. And surprisingly many less savoury humans did want access to the demon zone. There would always be slavers who were willing to sell delectable prizes to the demons, and surprisingly high profits to be made selling human luxury goods to the demons.

Tiamat pulled on his collar, and Alex followed placidly, only the carefully concealed swirl of darkness in his eyes marking him for what he was, a host for an alien who already assessed this place for a different kind of conquest. Tiamat laughed softly in the ghastly blue radiance cast by the vast demon citadel that had arisen in the centre of the city.

"Welcome to New York Alex. City of demons!"

xx

Megaera@Megaera.demon.co.uk

Part X: New York

DATE March 1999
E-MAIL Feedback to Megaera@Megaera.demon.co.uk
FEEDBACK is life
RATING NC-17 SLASH
CONTENT WARNING m/m m/f sex, violence
SPOILERS None
SUMMARY Alex faces a new set of enemies and is held prisoner by an insane "woman."
DISCLAIMER All X Files Characters belong to Chris Carter and Fox, I've just borrowed them for a while. I am not making any profit out of this, it's just for entertainment. The character of Kulain is mine but you can use him if you like, Mr. Carter
COMMENTS This story is set in an Alternate Universe where demons can interact more freely with humans and can shapeshift. If you don't like my laws of physics, go find your own.
THANKS to Czara for the expert Beta reading and encouragement.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]