Go to notes and disclaimers


Dark Angel's Fire
by Megaera

Part XII
Mindgames

Dreams of war, dreams of liars, dreams of dragon's fire and of things that will bite.
Sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight.
Exit light: enter night.
Take my hand, we're off to Never Never Land.......
Metallica—lyrics to Enter Sandman

It was supposed to be a joke. That was the worst part. Catch a couple of beers with the guys and have a laugh, scare the girls a little and reap the benefits later, when you could get an arm round your date and hold her close. Offer a little comfort and security, play the macho hero. Who it was that got the idea he would never know. Later on he would recognise it as one of the craziest things he had ever done. But at the time it made sense. Perhaps it was a trick from the start, something put into their heads by the evil buried in the old graveyard.

Carl was the one who brought the spade, and who laughingly began to strip the turf off the top of the ancient grave. They had all known the legend from the earliest stories whispered in childhood.

That's where the sorcerer is buried! Three hundred years ago he committed his vile crimes, and held the settlement of Prospect in thrall to his evil. Until the city fathers of the time had banded together and put an end to the terror, at the cost of over twenty lives it was said.

And it was Carl's idea too, to dig the old bastard up and take a few souvenirs. Maybe even hold a seance tomorrow with the skull placed strategically on a nearby gravestone. Mandy would be so terrified that he was sure he could talk his way into spending the night with her. Just in case the sorcerer came looking for his missing body parts, someone would have to protect her.....

The first problem came when they broke through the outer wood of the coffin, after a frustratingly long time digging in the tough clay. The corpse wasn't exactly skeletized. Maybe liquescent would be a better description. Still substantially fleshed after three hundred years, and boy was this corpse ugly And the smell.......

"Get the fucking head, Will, and let's get outta here." Carl aimed the spade at the rotting neck, intending to decapitate the corpse by cutting through the tendons that still attached it to the body. It was then that things started to get weird. A phosphorescent glow sprang up around the corpse, and one baleful eye swivelled in its socket, fixing its gaze on Carl. The other eye had long since fallen out of its resting place and was a jelly like mass on the half worm eaten cheek, its socket swimming with yellow ooze. Then impossibly strong fingers moved, even as Carl stood frozen next to the body. The corpse caught hold of the luckless grave robber and with incredible strength, ripped Carl's throat open. The other two young men had long since fled. So they didn't see the sorcerer's skin and muscle regenerating where his body was splashed with blood. Nor did they see the eager way it smeared more of the hot redness across face and hands.

The face that finally lifted to the night sky and uttered a howl of triumph was substantially human, if a little pale. The sorcerer would need more blood before he would be able to pass for human. But this was a start. And the sounds of frantic retreat across the graveyard told him where more could be found.

And then Prospect would pay!

xx

Kulain leaned back languorously on the bed. It had taken a little planning on his part, and the merest hint of pheromones, silently trickling from the pores of his human seeming skin. A trail of them in fact, leading here, to this place, his inner sanctuary, the heart of his tower. He stretched out on the lush silken covers overlaying his bed and waited patiently for his plan to be fulfilled. He had learned the value of such tactics in his recent dealings with Alex. A sweet set-up. The apparently distracted way he had moved past Alex and Fox, heading towards his hideaway, trailing his scent in the air behind him, deliberately teasing it past their senses. Both were unaware of their own responses. First Alex's nostrils had dilated a fraction, then his Fox. Alex had sighed softly, his hand tracing across his mouth in an unconsciously sensual gesture as he suckled lightly on the tip of his index finger. Mulder had stretched his body, catlike, and his nipples had begun to press in erect points through the thin shirt he wore. Mulder smoothed his hand across his chest, fingering one and had sighed.

Kulain had made sure to include Sean this time, not that it took as great a stimulus to wake the sexuality of his newest conquest. Just a trace of pheromones had been enough to make blue eyes glaze over, and pupils dilate widely. Sean had gently bitten at his lips, reddening them in an ancient signal of sexual readiness.

Kulain was planning an evening of fun. Not entirely ethical, to be sure, but he was feeling particularly in need of satisfaction tonight, and three willing partners would be very welcome. And it would not be at all difficult for him to satisfy them. He rarely felt the call of the blood these days. His aggressive impulses were all but subsumed by his constant supply of sexual partners. And yet tonight, he wanted, no, needed all of them to quench the heat within him. The thought alone made him hard and ready for them.

Sean was predictably the first. Alex and Fox had been ignoring him lately, ever since he had taken advantage of Alex's memory problems to satisfy his own needs. Alex predictably reacted in accordance with Fox's wishes and stayed away from the younger man. Sean was lonelier than he liked to admit, though no longer the totally defenceless victim of his own mind. Kulain watched as the young bodyguard slipped through the half open door, pulling his clothes off as he came, breathing hard, unaware that the acceleration of his metabolism was being caused deliberately by his lover. And that his breath carried more arousing chemicals into his brain with every gasp. Wordlessly, Sean sank onto the bed next to Kulain and bowed his dark head to satisfy the immediate problem that reared in Kulain's lap. The demon watched with amusement, as the lush lips parted and the rosy mouth began to minister to him. Exquisite.

He sensed movement at the door, and watched in satisfaction as Alex approached, face flushed with excitement. His first action was to scramble on his hands and knees across the top of the large bed and begin to irresistibly lick the demon's skin. He was particularly attentive to Kulain's own nipples, unaware that he was craving the taste of those devastatingly effective pheromones. Production of those chemicals, after all, was centred on Kulain's erogenous zones. Alex too, had shed his clothing as the chemical action on his brain had made him seem far too hot for comfort.

The action of two mouths across his body was exceptionally pleasant.

His Fox was the last to respond to his call. He stood for a long while at the doorway, his eyes puzzled, as if he couldn't quite comprehend why he was doing this. Then the call of his blood became overwhelming, and he strode forward, flinging himself down next to Kulain and enthusiastically beginning to kiss his lover's mouth.

Kulain had always desired the three of them together. Now they were ready, and if not totally comfortable with each other, at least they were all familiar with each other's bodies and would suffer no trauma from his manipulation of their minds and bodies.

He concentrated on their kisses for a while, then encouraged Sean to mount him. And Alex to suck on Sean. Mulder whimpered in frustration, rubbing his hardness against Kulain, until Alex fastened green eyes on him, though he never left off from his enthusiastic suckling.

Tonight was going to be exceptional!

xx

Mulder woke with a groan. He tried unsuccessfully to remember where he was, and what he had been doing last night. From the pleasant ache in his balls and ass, he had obviously spent the night in wild, utterly satisfying passion. He could feel a warmth beneath his head, fingers laced with his, and a body half draped across his back as he lay face down on the bed. He cracked one eyelid open cautiously, and found that the hand entwined with his was Alex's, as was the dark haired head close to his. The powerfully muscled torso that warmed his cheek had to be Kulain. Then who.....? He pushed carefully at the form, and heard it mumble something sleepily with an English accent.

What the hell had they got up to last night. He groaned. He was beginning to remember falling asleep like this after being fucked all but senseless by......... Sean! And the look of adoration he remembered in the blue eyes left no doubt as to what Sean felt. Mulder wondered how he had so misread the signs. Sean was hopelessly in love with him! Perhaps even with all of them? He closed his eyes again, silently wishing for the dream to go away. Unfortunately it was reality. A second vague recollection of being sucked by Sean as Alex took the younger man very enthusiastically. And a number of other combinations.....

And always Kulain had been at the heart of it, controlling, taking, caressing, licking, biting........

Reality wasn't going to go away. With a sigh, he pushed the still sleeping bodyguard away and sat up gingerly. The Englishman sighed, and shifted so that he was curled into the side of Kulain again, close to the demon's warmth. Mulder was stiff and aching a little.

Kulain was awake. And watching him with a look of definite amusement.

Momentarily, Mulder blushed. His gaze dropped, uncertain, then he finally found the courage to meet those too-penetrating green eyes. He couldn't exactly pretend to hate Sean any more. Not after last night. In fact the whole experience had been so good. The things he remembered...... His cock was making its appreciation felt, and slowly rose to attention. Kulain's smile deepened, and he loosened one arm from where it was curled around Alex, and reached down to grasp his own burgeoning erection. They had yet to exchange a word, but Fox Mulder knew exactly what his lover wanted.

Minutes later, impaled and moving his body slowly as he rode up and down on his demon lover's swollen member, making small noises of pleasure, Mulder didn't give a damn about his previous hesitations. This was too good, too addictive, in the end, too satisfying. His movements became frantic and he sobbed with satisfaction as the heat exploded out of him, carrying him away on waves of ecstasy, even as Kulain matched him and spurted deep inside him. How the hell did the demon always manage to keep pace with him? To match his needs so precisely?

Mulder sank back, shaking in aftermath, the fire inside him slowly stilling, and closed his eyes. Kulain's cock was still inside him, not yet soft, oddly comforting. He finally opened his eyes as he sensed movement, and gasped. Sean and Alex were awake, and busily licking what remained of his seed from Kulain's belly. And the demon was watching them all in satisfaction. The sight of the two dark heads busily working sent a renewed jolt through Mulder's body, and he found himself hypnotically watching the active movements of their tongues. He knew then that this was going to be one of those days when he would find it impossible to get out of bed........

xx

Alex was wearing only a smile and a small towel when he came out of the bathroom a few hours later. Mulder sighed tiredly, and reluctantly averted his eyes from the lithe form of his beautiful mate. He doubted whether he could raise one finger at the moment, let alone give that incredible body the attention it deserved. Demon blood or not. Alex predictably, was almost purring with satisfaction, and seemed not at all fatigued by four solid hours of sex, and that after a hectic night. Sean, on the other hand, was so exhausted that he hadn't moved an inch from his sprawling sleep on Kulain's bed. And Kulain had disappeared, which was probably just as well.

The insistent sounds of his cell phone broke into his thoughts. With a heavy sigh, he answered the call. And blinked in surprise as he heard the anxious voice at the other end of the phone.

xx

"So what does Kowalski want?" Alex asked, as he and Mulder passed through the big glass doors that led into the Hoover building. Though he didn't remember much about his time at the F.B.I., Alex had heard a lot of his lover's stories about the X files, and he was burning with curiosity.

"He said he had an X file that he wanted me to look at." Mulder couldn't quite pretend disinterest. He had been too long out of the loop, and the prospect of a case to interest him was all but irresistible. Kowalski knew him well enough by now to predict that this case would arouse Mulder's curiosity.

It was the first time that Fox Mulder had been back in the F.B.I. building in Washington since his very public affair with Kulain had caused his suspension. He faced the memories of happier times with stoicism. He had no time to waste on tormenting himself with useless dreams of the past. And he still had a few friends left in the Bureau. Like Kowalski, who had been given the unenviable task of taking over the X files in Mulder's absence.

What he hadn't expected were the openly curious glances of agents and co-workers in his direction. Living with Kulain, being in his company so much, Mulder was shielded from the reactions of most ordinary Americans to his situation. No-one dared provoke Kulain with openly hostile behaviour. But today, the resentment in many faces surprised him.

Alex too was attracting attention, though not of the same kind. Rumours were rife in Washington law enforcement circles that Alex Krycek had been turned into a brain damaged moron by some kind of accident. And Mulder found himself glad that Alex could show them how wrong they were.

He was unconscious of the beauty and grace that surrounded the two of them. Before, they had drawn many an admiring gaze. But now it was obvious to all but the most unimaginative of watchers that neither of them was completely human. No human had ever possessed that ethereal poise and self control, or that hint of otherness that neither of them could conceal any more. A suggestion of predator, of dangerous untamed beauty. Most of the men in the place felt inadequate in comparison, and the women felt an envy of Kulain.

Kowalski, of course , just gave a grin in welcome, as he met his two guests and escorted them down to the same old basement office.

xx

Mulder shook his head in puzzlement as he reviewed the details of this latest case file. Set in the little city of Prospect, a place founded in the seventeenth century by Puritans. It had been surprisingly easy to slip into his old role, lounge back in the familiar chair, with Alex perched on the chair arm next to him, a familiar pressure against his side as the younger man read over his shoulder. It made grisly reading, comparable to the worst excesses of the demons. A group of young men butchered in a graveyard where they had been drinking. And insufficient blood at the scene, despite the horrific injuries that had been inflicted on the corpses. Oddest of all, it seemed that the victims had interrupted a grave robbing, because an open grave was found in the vicinity, minus its long dead occupant.

"Why exactly do you need us?" Mulder puzzled. Kowalski was more than capable of handling either grave robbing or murder without help.

The middle aged cop tossed a new folder onto the pile of crime scene photos, in response. Alex hissed when he saw the contents, and Mulder swallowed as bile rose to the back of his throat.

"That came in this morning, just before I called you!" Kowalski said. He indicated the new picture. This body had been shredded as if it had travelled through machinery, muscle and bone torn apart by some immense force. "The victim is none other than the morgue attendant who was in charge of the first three bodies. And now they're missing too. Why the hell, if you'll pardon the expression, would any normal person want three bodies in moderately poor condition? And why take the risk of committing another murder? It feels all wrong to me. I could use your expertise Mulder."

Mulder glanced at Alex who shrugged. It was his call then.

"Alright Kowalski. I'm in! The two of us will head down to the city of Prospect tonight. Call ahead and tell the local police to expect us."

His eyes shone as he left the building, Alex by his side. A fact that didn't escape his lover.

"You're loving this!" Alex accused, gently teasing. Mulder thought about denying it, then sighed.

"I guess I miss the old life sometimes. I used to be so good at this......."

Alex wrapped an arm around his waist and leaned into him. After a moment he sensed Mulder relax against him. They headed back towards the Tower on foot, content to walk in each other's arms.

"You know," Alex said softly, "I swear I can remember that office! Something about you, Kulain and a desk.......?"

He grinned when he realised Mulder was blushing. Then a thought occurred to him.

"And just how do you plan on persuading Sean to stay in Washington? You know he'll want to come too."

Mulder sighed. Just when had life become so complicated?

xx

The three of them drove down from Washington that night. It was only a few hundred miles, about five hours driving time away, and Mulder let Alex drive, so he could catch up on his sleep. After last night and its aftermath, he needed it. Alex didn't seem at all tired. Sean lounged sleepily in the back seat of the hire car, rented to keep their presence inconspicuous. He had, of course, been unshakeable in his determination to come with them. Kulain had looked amused at their request, and hadn't objected to their absence for a few days. Well three demon changed men ought to be able to tackle most problems on their own!

The arrival at the local law enforcement headquarters was an event Mulder would remember for a long time. The three of them walking up to the front desk in the police headquarters and offering their I.D.s to the young cop behind the desk. Not F.B.I. standard issue, since Mulder and Alex were no longer officially part of the Bureau, but Tower identity cards. Marking them officially as demon personnel, and incidentally, bestowing unlimited credit privileges.

Not something you saw every day in a small place like this, miles from Washington. The young cop behind the desk gave a strangled sort of squawk and fled to find his superiors, casting a puzzled look at Alex as he left. Mulder heard Alex snicker softly, and tried hard, mostly unsuccessfully he had to admit, to repress his own smile. Then the Chief of police himself was coming out of his office to greet them, a look of shock on his face too. A quick invitation to his office followed, and Mulder found himself seated, facing the nervous looking man.

"Tower personnel! Here! I don't understand...... Look, anything you want, just ask. We want to cooperate with the demon authorities......." He blustered in increasing agitation.

"Didn't Special Agent Kowalski call from the F.B.I? I understand you have a problem at the moment with a serial killer. We've been asked to help. I've worked with the Profiling division, and my companions both have experience of working in law enforcement. We think we can help." Mulder tried to sound reassuring.

The atmosphere changed almost immediately.

"Well why the heck didn't you say so!" The Chief snapped. "Yes of course the F.B.I. called, I just wasn't expecting...... "

"Demon help!" Alex said slyly. He winked at Mulder. "Let us review the case files and see what we can do."

The Chief called in one of his men, a hard faced sergeant and instructed him to look after the visitors. He mopped his forehead, ridding it of the sweat that had begun to trickle down it, and let out a sigh of relief when the three visitors departed.

Tower! In Prospect! Unbelievable!

xx

Mulder and his companions had decided to get a good night's sleep and check out the town early the next morning. Nothing could be gained from exhausting themselves further tonight, so it seemed the best plan. Until they came to ask for a room at the local motel that is. Mulder had without thinking asked the clerk at reception for one room for the three of them. The widening of her blue eyes and the shocked look she cast towards him and his companions told him what sort of response he could expect in a small town like this, for the unconventional lifestyle he led. He heard Sean and Alex both dissolve into laughter, and with a sigh, offered to pay for three of the biggest rooms. They could always hope that one of them had a large enough bed for the three of them. For it was strangely necessary to sleep in their arms now. Comforting. Secure. Sustaining. He resigned himself with a sigh, to a time of sneaking like a teenager, between rooms.

xx

The sorcerer frowned at his undead servants. A motley bunch, poor quality material. He would have to find some better stock soon, the already days-dead young men were beginning to smell, and their skins were turning a mottled grey-blue colour and decay at the extremities of their bodies had begun already. He regarded his hands with irritation. Unlike them, he was able to regenerate his body, with the application of a certain life fluid, and he was almost human again. A very thin, gaunt human. Apart from some particularly worm eaten parts of his body, like his hands and belly. An ugly smile crossed his almost skeletal face as he contemplated how best to find himself another two or three humans who would gift him with what he needed. Each victim brought power and strength. Already he had woken his three first sacrifices from the dead to serve him. Soon, he would have enough strength to raise more zombies, to make an army. And then he planned to destroy the town!

He smiled even more as he contemplated the camper van coming down the road, heading towards the trap his servants had set. A blockage in the road, and an apparently hurt young man. A good thing the night concealed exactly how dead the servant was! He could sense the life force of at least four members of a family in the vehicle. Enough to fill the hole in his belly, as it were. Grinning at his cleverness, he settled down with the patience of the long dead, and waited.

xx

Mulder and his companions were woken from a sound sleep, curled up against one another in an untidy tangle, by the hammering on the door of their room. Alex, half asleep, yelled at the caller to wait, then Mulder blearily made his way to the doorway and opened it. The police sergeant who was their liason stood there, plainly surprised at their all being in the same room at this hour. A man of small town sensibilities. Schooling his features to neutrality, he gave the three men the latest news.

xx

"Three more bodies torn apart!" Alex shook his head in disbelief. He had seen some horrifying sights in New York. But never this degree of savagery before. Sean looked distinctly ill. Mulder forced himself to ignore the implications of the evidence around him. The detritus of human lives, the evidence of the age of some of two of the four victims. The signs of a desperate struggle, that showed in the wreckage inside the camper. One victim at least had fought before being dragged outside the camper. Mulder gestured to Alex to be quiet, and tried to absorb the atmosphere within the van. The character and probable behaviour of the victims, the savagery and disregard of the killers. All was important in profiling this serial killer. Or as he was beginning to suspect, more than one individual had committed the crime.

An immensely strong murderer, who left little blood at the scene of the crime. Was it because he had some awful use for the stuff? And why attack groups of people? Surely that would make the killing harder. Unless of course his need for the act of murder was overwhelming. And why the emphasis on graveyards. One empty ancient coffin. Three empty mortuary slabs. Bodies then were also a vital part of the killer's needs. It had been known for serial killers in the past to take body parts as souvenirs. But rarely the whole corpse. Then again, there had been that extraordinary Nielsen case in London, about ten years ago, when over a dozen corpses had been kept for weeks before being dismembered and partially flushed down the sewer. The killer had only been discovered by the action of a luckless sewer worker......

His musings were cut short by the yell from one of the crime scene personnel who had been combing the area. Under one body part, as it was being removed to the morgue, something unusual had been discovered. Mulder and Alex went to look at it. The partial forefinger of a several days old corpse, already slippery with the slime of decay. Apparently brought here by the killer(s). The police chief, who had made an appearance, shook his head in disbelief. He put a voice to the thoughts all of them were having.

"Why the hell would he bring body parts to another murder? Is he trying to leave us a clue? Or is he just plain insane?"

And though they spent most of the day combing the area and talking to local residents, in the end, no-one could answer him.

xx

It was a human invented pleasure that he didn't often indulge himself in. But driving along the open road with no other traffic in sight, Kulain felt free to let the car accelerate to its design limits and speed at over a hundred miles an hour down the highway. His reflexes were more than adequate to handle any crisis, but his senses told him that there were no obstacles to fear.

He had decided to join his sweet triad on their investigation. But there was, for once, no urgency about this and he had revelled in the freedom of the road. Fast cars were threatening to become an addiction, despite the fact that he had only bought a Porsche to please Fox. But now that he had moved into the rarefied levels of human society where cars were a status symbol, a unique, sleek Italian model was more to his liking. In black of course.

He frowned in annoyance as a sudden sound distracted him, the wail of a police siren. A cruiser was rapidly advancing on his sports car as he slowed for an approaching town ahead on the highway. How irritating! Since he had little to fear even from the most hardened cop, he gradually, teasingly slowed, and finally pulled over. He could see the lights of the nearby homes in the distance, just appearing as the dusk came. Presumably the long sought destination of Prospect.

The lone cop climbed out of his car and advanced cautiously towards his quarry, hand close to his holstered handgun. Kulain watched the figure approach and smiled slightly. He loved to watch humans' faces when they realised who he was. A small quirk in his character, which Fox would have called devilry, no doubt. The officer who converged on his car was young and slim, and Kulain smiled appreciatively. Then the cop spoke.

"Keep your hands where I can see them! No tricks!" The cop drew alongside. "Let me see your driving documents..... move slowly!"

Kulain grinned slyly and handed the required papers to the cop, not entirely accidentally letting his talons show a little. Then he lifted his slit pupilled eyes to check out the cop's expression.

He was the one that gasped in shock!

xx

Officer Ricky Caruso had been almost ready to call it a day. He was hot and tired, and longed for a cold beer and a shower. It had been a long day, and every cop in town was on edge since the killings had started. Then he had spotted this joker in the black sports car, gunning his way across the landscape. He was more than a little annoyed by the time he had caught up with the car, which seemed to take an insolently long time to stop. This guy was going to get a speeding ticket no matter what!

He cautiously approached the driver, careful to leave no opening for the guy to pull out a gun. The man was powerfully built, and looked dangerous, although Ricky couldn't have said why this was. The perp seemed co-operative, and handed him the required documents. He caught sight of the name on the papers he held and his breath hissed in shock. This was a face he knew. In fact you would have to be dead not to know it. It glared out at you from news stands and t.v. screens everywhere.

Kulain.

The familiar face turned to look at him, impossible, inhuman eyes and an amused smile curving onto that generous mouth. Then a look of astonishment to match his own.

Kulain found himself staring into a face to match the one he had taken as his lover for over two years. Perhaps half a dozen years younger than his Alex, but just as sweet and kissable. A firm body and a glow of green eyes in the half light of the dusk. Impossible, but true. Alex had a double, a young man who by coincidence closely resembled Kulain's lover.

Kulain rose sinuously out of the car, and leaned against the hood, casual and apparently relaxed, as the young cop fled back to his patrol car, composure forgotten, and somewhat frantically radioed his base for instructions. Kulain kept his movements carefully casual. It wouldn't do to alarm this unexpectedly delightful human.

The young cop began to stammer his apologies, momentarily confounded by the position he found himself in. As if every human on the planet didn't know that Kulain of Washington could take out half a dozen opponents in the blink of an eye. The demon felt want uncoil within his belly as he watched the human. One hand crept unobserved towards the tyre behind him, and he quashed a momentary regret about how much this would cost him in dollars. Then a sharp talon pierced the tyre carefully, not allowing the hiss of escaping air to become audible.........

Green eyes watched Kulain cautiously. Officer Ricky Caruso flushed under the demon's scrutiny, and scowled at his own obvious fear. The human's back straightened, and he assumed a nonchalant pose, though he couldn't quite conceal a shaking hand as he gestured to Kulain's beautiful sports car.

"You can go....... I'm sorry...... Oh!"

Kulain followed the cop's gaze, then glared at Caruso. "The damn tyre is flat now! How the hell am I going to get a replacement around here. The tyres cost a thousand dollars apiece. I'll have to ride with you into town!"

The young cop blanched. Then reluctantly nodded, affecting a scowl. What choice did he have?

He didn't see Kulain's satisfied smile. It would have sent shivers down his spine.

xx

Mulder sighed tiredly, and headed for the rather fly blown diner on the corner of the street, opposite the motel. He didn't feel much like eating anyway, after the sights of the day, but his demon half demanded nourishment, as red and rare as possible, and the place did have thick steak on the menu, its one redeeming feature. Alex had gone ahead to order, with Sean, while he finished typing up his profile for the investigators. Not, as yet, a long document.

He didn't notice the very thin man who passed him on the street, and who turned to look at the handsome man as he passed by. Mulder's unconscious grace and the sleek power of his movements made the sorcerer realise that this man was dangerous. Mulder was watched until he passed out of sight. Then the sorcerer continued thoughtfully along the street. He had seen such things before, once, long ago, in certain forbidden areas in the Far East, during his own delvings into forbidden knowledge. You could say that it took a predator to recognise another hunter. He decided to be far more careful about covering his tracks. At least until he had secured his power in this place and time. Whether the beautiful demon man was hunting him he didn't know. But he was no easy prey.

When the forefathers of Prospect had buried the undead sorcerer in a secure coffin, bound by holy and unholy charms and seals, they had never anticipated the folly and ignorance of modern man. A situation the sorcerer planned to exploit to the full.

xx

Ricky felt like he'd fallen into a black hole and come out in another universe. Things like this just didn't happen to him! He never met anyone famous, and he never, ever had supernatural things happen to him. It was as if the whole town had gone crazy lately. What with the whispers of something haunting the graveyards, and the recent killings...... And now this! He was beginning to regret his recent transfer to this town. Things had been simpler when he had lived up north, less complicated.

He glanced in the mirror at the passenger who rode in the back of his car. It gave him the creeps to be so close to this particular being. Though he was determined not to let the demon see how nervous he was. He swung his eyes back to the road, just in time to see something humanoid, white and vaguely luminescent, cross his path. With a sudden curse he slammed on the brakes and felt the car skid to a halt.

"What the hell....?"

Not an entirely apt choice of words in the circumstances. His passenger was out of the car within moments of its coming to a standstill, peering into the dusk with a distinctly puzzled expression.

His eyes..... Oh god!

Luminous green eyes with wide, enlarged slit pupils, scanning the darkened brush at the side of the road, looking for the fast moving thing that had crossed their path. Kulain shook his head.

"Gone! Whatever it was, it moved fast!" A frown. "Too fast for a human!"

Kulain watched the human flinch at his words, and shiver violently.

Ricky felt more than afraid at the moment. He was an experienced officer, four years out of the police academy, and with a commendation to his name. He wasn't easily bothered by night terrors. But it was an isolated spot, and here he was looking for some apparently unnatural creature, with a demon standing so close beside him. Perhaps Kulain was the one responsible for the murders. His hand crept down to rest in false reassurance against the cool grip of his gun.

It was a surprise then, for Kulain to smile at him gently and gesture towards the car. Pretending disinterest, the young officer slid into the driver's seat. Warily, he glanced at his companion. Kulain sat next to him in the front passenger seat. He should have felt more nervous, being closer to this deadly being. But oddly, it was reassuring.

xx

Ricky Caruso didn't think he had ever been in such deep trouble with his superiors. Not that he had been in town for very long, but he had already been reprimanded twice. Once for getting a little too enthusiastic with the pursuit of a suspect. Well, maybe not so little..... And once for denting his car bumper in a small accident. Not major league stuff like this! Bringing a demon into the town. That particular demon, who had heads of state and presidents running around after him like headless chickens.

He sat uncomfortably in the Chief's office, staring at the floor, trying not to watch his inhuman companion, who rested one hand casually on the desk, and was tapping disconcertingly, with one half-retracted talon on the wooden surface. Irresistibly, while he waited for the Chief and his staff to decide on a course of action, he found his gaze straying towards the big demon. What the hell did you say to someone like that for smalltalk. His fellow officers had given Ricky and his companion a wide berth as they entered the station. Word had got around then. Even wearing dark glasses to conceal his identity, not very successfully, Kulain was dangerous looking. Ricky was beginning to fear that he would be stuck with the responsibility of keeping Kulain out of trouble.

Yeah, sure! No problem! Let the new boy take all the heat!

The Chief returned, wreathed in false smiles. Kulain could make himself comfortable in the office until his companions could be found. The word was that the other three Tower operatives were staying over in the Mandrell Motel, and had been assisting the investigation all day. Someone had been sent to contact them. Officer Caruso would, predictably, take care of his needs until then. Anything Kulain wanted........

Ricky Caruso scowled at his superior. Not that it did any good. The word was that Kulain's companions were not at the motel. It looked as though Ricky would have to stay with the demon until they could be found.

xx

Ricky stared, transfixed at the demon's hand, that rested on the table next to him. In the two hours since he had arrived here, it had become more and more difficult to avoid glancing at his enigmatic companion. After all, he was breathing the same air, and staring at the same four walls as the demon. The demon's hand was long fingered, and by all accounts, immensely strong. With a hint of the non-human heritage of its owner, a hint of pointed fingernail with just a trace of green in the bed of the nail. He didn't realise how intently he was staring at it. Slowly, irresistibly, he reached out to touch the hand, needing to know whether it felt in the least human.

Warm! Not cold or clammy or anything else he had imagined. If anything slightly warmer than human. He lifted the hand and examined the nails, pressing on one and gasping as it slid, unresisting out of its retractable housing. Like a cats! For some reason, he felt the urge to raise that hand to his face and rub his cheek against it. It would feel good, he knew......

"Officer Caruso?" There was just a trace of sharpness in the demon's voice. "Do you plan to hold hands with me all evening? I grow hungry, and I don't think you want me to hunt for food round here. Not when good steak would be a perfectly satisfactory alternative! I'm sure you can direct me to a suitable restaurant....." He smiled wickedly at Ricky, enjoying the sudden realisation that entered the feisty young officer's face.

Ricky jerked back as if he had been stung, dropping Kulain's hand, his eyes wide, as if he couldn't quite believe what he had just been doing. Shocked green eyes watched him, and Kulain saw with satisfaction, the rapid, agitated rise and fall of the young cop's chest.

Seduction was such fun. The hunt, the chase, the bringing down of beautiful prey.....

xx

The sorcerer gave a hiss of pleasure as he looked upon the offering his servants had brought him. A female, pretty and unsuspecting. Who had entered into a nightmare world when the zombies had kidnapped her from her isolated home on the edge of town. Her life would buy him much power, if the proper rituals were observed. Pain, blood and suffering were paramount. The longer his sacrifice lasted, the more occult strength the blood sacrifice would provide. He would raise a cone of power sufficient to reanimate at least five other zombies. Smiling, he raised the knife and made the first of many cuts.

xx

Reaching out, grabbing for something you've got to feel,
Closing in. The pressure upon you is so unreal.........
.........Reaching out for something you've got to feel,
While clutching to what you had thought was real.
What the hell?

Metallica—Lyrics to The struggle within.

xx

Sometime tonight his world had tilted on its axis, the familiar bounds that limited his horizons had disappeared. Quite when it had happened, Ricky Caruso wasn't sure. But as he sat drinking at a local bar in the city of Prospect, he knew that it all came down to the force a certain enigmatic being had exerted on his life. Kulain. Demon, killer, dark lord. Whatever he was, his wicked smile haunted Ricky still.

It had seemed simple enough. Take the demonlord to the hotel where his trio of personnel were staying, and transfer him into their tender care. Let them deal with him. He had protested of course, and he had known that his superiors would make him pay, in the end for that mistake. But being near Kulain was disturbing in a way he couldn't explain. He hated Kulain for making him feel so very....... powerless.

He lifted up green eyes, fringed with long, dark lashes, and tried to muster up a smile for the pretty girl who was behind the bar, serving his latest drink. He was a regular in this place, and normally needed little encouragement to flirt with her, ever optimistic about his chances for romance. Tonight though, his usual casual banter felt so insipid and pointless. He could pretend to himself for the rest of his life that he wasn't affected by what he had seen. But it wouldn't be true.

The door to room 34 of the Mandrell Hotel had been unerringly approached by Kulain, almost as if he could sense his colleagues. Then he had opened it, without even knocking. Ricky, following behind, had heard gasps, then someone cried out in joy! Kulain had staggered back a few steps, into Ricky's line of sight, his arms wrapped around a man in his twenties, with piercing blue eyes. The guy had obviously leapt at Kulain and was presently twining himself around the demonlord like a snake. Ricky couldn't imagine anything he'd hate more. To be intimate with Kulain! His mind conveniently forgot his own strange behaviour. But that's exactly what Blue Eyes had done next. And what a kiss, open mouthed, tongues probing, arms slipping down each other's bodies in sensual caresses. In that moment, Officer Ricky Caruso learned more about the demon world's interaction with humanity than he ever wanted to know. But it was what happened next that had terrified him. Two other men had come into view, both smiling, evidently as happy to see Kulain as their companion. One of them was a handsome dark haired man, tall, apparently in his early thirties, very self assured. And the second one..........

He must have made some sound of shock, for the three men were suddenly staring at him, and he had the brief but disconcerting impression, probably because of their almost-glowing eyes, that they would have killed him if he had been in any way threatening. They had reacted so quickly. As if, for a moment, they weren't quite human.

The third man...... It was like looking in a mirror, and seeing himself as he might be in about five years!

Kulain met his gaze, and gave quite the most wicked smile he had ever seen. And Ricky realised that from the beginning, Kulain had been playing a game with him.

His nerve finally broke, and Ricky Caruso unashamedly fled the scene, his flight taking him back towards police headquarters.

And there, at headquarters, he was given the news. There was the ultimate disgrace of being partnered tomorrow with Grace Mayberry, Ms. Traffic Ticket herself, as if he was still a probationer, because of his poor performance in the field today. Because he hadn't managed to get rid of Kulain. Something the President of the United States himself found impossible to do. The whole responsibility for Kulain's presence in the town would be Ricky's. He had been so freaked out by the sight of his double that he hadn't even offered a word in his defence.

The pretty barmaid's voice broke into his troubled thoughts.

"Want another, Ricky?"

He shook his head. Not even the prospect of a pleasant flirtation could dispel his sense of foreboding.

"It's been a hell of an evening. I think I'll just call it a day."

Yeah. One Hell of a day

xx

Kulain was playing one of his infrequent but disturbing games with his lovers. The last time they had gone through this, Mulder mused, they had ended up with Sean in their bed, when Kulain had decided to increase his little harem by one. What the hell did he intend now? The three of them had been more than a little surprised to see the young cop who had escorted the demon to the Hotel. His resemblance to Alex was disturbing, to say the least. And the way Kulain had smiled at the young man had rung alarm bells inside Mulder's skull. Like he was the big bad bear who just wanted to eat the cop up or ........

Or something just as predatory.....

Fox Mulder was beginning to understand a lot of what motivated his lover. And one of Kulain's principal instincts seemed to be the need to hunt. There was an aggressive side to him that was generally satisfied by assertive and dominant sexual activity. But like a lion caged, he still had those same inner desires, that could never entirely be satisfied, or concealed. Like all males of his species, he had a powerful urge to spread his seed as wide as possible, to maximise the chances of reproductive success. In essence, to have sex with as many humans as possible, to spread his DNA far and wide throughout the gene pool.

Understanding his big lover didn't make it any easier to accept Kulain's desire for yet another man. But there was no changing Kulain's nature. Kulain had a new target in sight, and the fact that the cop looked like Alex would only make things worse. And besides, whatever the demon did, Mulder was by now too closely bound to his lover, too addicted to the feel of Kulain driving into him. That brief thought alone made Fox Mulder moan and rub at his hardening nipples, trying to simulate the feel of the demon's teeth nipping at his flesh. He whimpered anew at the sensation.

Kulain had heard Mulder's small noises of need, and was moving towards his possession, dark lust in his eyes. Mulder automatically dropped to all fours before him, bracing his body so that he could withstand the power of Kulain's penetrating thrusts. He caught sight briefly of Alex and Sean writhing together on the bed. Then he lost interest in everything except the demon's more-than-human shaft driving deep into his body, at a pace that drove away all thought and reason. Tonight was going to be taxing for all three of Kulain's lovers. There was a dark hunger inside the demon, and Mulder knew why.

Maybe if he and the others exhausted Kulain tonight, the demon would forget the young cop.........

Sure! There was about as much chance of that as of the Smoker helping them defeat the aliens.

He felt a momentary pity for the undeniably pretty human. But his own acquisitive instincts whispered betraying things........ What would the cop be like in bed? Would he really be like Alex.......? Hating himself for such beguiling thoughts, he threw himself into the self appointed task of distracting Kulain.... and himself.... from the young cop.

And Alex watched the face of his unusually thoughtful partner with an uneasy frown.

xx

The Sorcerer was almost ready to strike against the citizens of the little town when he became aware of the presence of another powerful being close by. He had not spent years studying dark occult forces without being able to sense the proximity of a demon. For who else could have created the enhanced human he had seen in the town earlier. It presented an almost insurmountable problem for him. Two hunters in one small area, both looking for humans to serve their needs. Conflict would ensue, unless he took the greatest care. It was time to change his plans, to become more subtle in his approach. He damned his luck in being detected so quickly by those who had the power to stop him. But all was not lost. The priority now became the gathering of intelligence on this enemy.

Things had indeed changed over the years, if demons now served the law in this country. So he must look to the law to supply him with information. And seek new allies in his quest for power. Or rather, one very old, very sly ally who would do much for the promise of blood.

xx

"You ought to go back to Washington, Sean." Mulder grinned at the expression of disappointment that his partner showed. "I'm serious. We need to find out more about the character who was buried in that old grave. And the woman at the county courthouse claimed that a whole stack of papers relating to the history of the town were placed in the Library of Congress about twenty years ago. We really need to know more about the town legends....."

Sean sighed. Fox Mulder had a way of getting what he wanted that was almost foolproof. Perhaps it was the way he smiled, or the husky tone to his voice when it became low and persuasive. But Sean knew he would comply. As ever.

"I'm going to take Alex and check over the last crime scene again. Maybe there's something we missed. Then we'll check the other graveyards in the area to see if they've been disturbed. Call me if you find anything."

Assuming of course, that Sean was going to do as he was asked. Which of course he would. But driving to Washington and back in one day was going to be exhausting. Mulder abruptly dispersed all of his resentment and irritation by reaching out spontaneously and hugging him, and for a moment, they leaned together, in an instinctive strengthening of their bonds of affection.

Sean wondered how they had ever gotten to be so close, the three of them. But were they Kulain's lovers or his concubines?

xx

Ricky Caruso sighed and prepared for the most boring afternoon of his life. The delectable Grace, one of the most irritating women he had ever met, and also one of the most muscular, was writing up her twelfth traffic violation in the two hours since they had started this shift. The woman was a tiger when it came to bureaucracy. Which made him wonder how differently she would have handled yesterday's fiasco with the Demonlord. Not that it mattered. He was being put firmly in his place by the powers-that-be. As if a mistake about a random traffic check was within his control.

This ticket was being written for not using the correct car lights, because even though it was only early afternoon, the fog had descended over the town, as it frequently did at this time of year. And Grace saw the carelessness of drivers in the fog as a heaven sent opportunity to beat her all time record of twenty tickets in one afternoon.

Ricky felt like handing in his notice and seeking another job. Maybe on the West Coast. Yeah. A job with the California Highway Patrol maybe, riding one of those spectacular bikes in the warmer climate of Malibu, with the hedonistic lifestyle it implied. He allowed himself to daydream, forgetting for a moment the reality of his situation. That is, until Grace climbed back into the passenger side of the patrol car and gestured peremptorily for him to move on. Suppressing anew the surge of irritation he felt, he obeyed. One of these days he was going to make the arrest of a lifetime and become famous..... Visions of guest slots on daytime talk shows materialised, and he imagined his face on the cover of more than one magazine. Maybe he should have arrested Kulain. That would really have made his name a household word.....

He barely managed to slam on the brakes in time as a terrified woman emerged from the fog, her clothing torn, bleeding from a dozen lacerations on her face and body. Only a piece of smart steering directed the patrol car away from her. He and Grace emerged from the patrol car simultaneously and rushed forwards. Ricky vaguely recognised the woman as a nurse from the local hospital. He remembered checking her out one time. But in her present condition, she wouldn't be winning any beauty pageants for a while. With an incoherent whimper, she pointed a trembling finger towards the swirling fog that cloaked the entrance to the hospital grounds. That co-incidentally or not, ran parallel to an old cemetery.

"I was walking home....... Someone.... something..... attacked me......" She barely managed to stammer the words before sagging in a half faint against the side of the patrol car.

"Stay here Ricky. Look after her! I'll check it out while you call for back-up." Before he could raise an objection, his new partner disappeared into the fog, weapon drawn. Within a few steps, he couldn't even hear her any more, not clearly. The fog seemed to refract and intermingle sounds so that he wasn't sure any more what direction his partner had moved in.

Then he heard the shots, six fired in quick succession. There was a momentary silence, then a terrible scream, rising out of the fog, going silent with a horrible gargling that choked off abruptly.

Ricky didn't remember drawing his gun. Only that it was in his hand as he ran forward. He had shoved the nurse into his patrol car and locked the door quickly, then took off in the direction he thought the scream had come from. But after only half a minute, he knew he had mistaken the position of the victim in the fog. Either that, or he had become disoriented himself. For he was no longer in the well manicured grass of the hospital grounds. The earth underfoot was muddy and rank weeds were poking out of the ground, brushing the legs of his pants with slime. Then he stumbled against something on the ground and fell to his knees. He put one hand out and found himself touching a long fallen grave marker, half hidden in the long grass. Even as he knelt, he heard something move close beside him, and before he could react, something barrelled into his body from behind, knocking him flat on his face against the cold marble of the memorial. He tried to twist round, but there was an impossibly heavy weight on his back and he found it almost impossible to move.

A foul smell began to percolate through the damp air, and he choked with disgust at the loathsome odour of decay that filled his nostrils. He fumbled for his gun, which was inches away from his fingers, but then a foot descended on his hand and he realised that not one, but two attackers were present. The second one chuckled, an obscene sound that made him shiver, there was something not quite human about that sound, as if it came from a throat that had long since ceased to make human speech. Dully he raised his head, trying to make out the identity of his attackers.

An unholy sight met his eyes. A grinning long dead corpse, skin greenish and oozing unnameable fluids. With eyes that burned a hellish yellow. A maggoty tongue emerged from the peeling lips and licked them hungrily. And Ricky screamed as he realised he was on the menu.

Kulain had watched his three humans go their separate ways without complaint. He wanted, for once, to be alone, so he could examine the evidence brought by his sharp senses. There was something about this place that bothered him. Some hint of darkness, old, past living memory, that suggested an evil had once dwelt there for a long time. Perhaps the sorcerer of local legend. Whatever it was, the power was stirring again.

The power he sensed had a hint of almost Stygian evil. Some power connected to the time when demons and other malign forces had freely walked the earth. To a time when human sacrifice was common and a hunger for blood had ruled. He was old. But not that old, and despite his power, he knew enough to be wary in seeking out this opponent.

Slowly, he extended his senses, and began to search for the source of the evil. As the other was no doubt doing with him. And when he had a bearing for the source of power, he moved out to seek it, heading west, out of town towards the other side of the valley. Almost immediately, he felt the power stir as it sensed his hunt. And the power dimmed as its owner withdrew from such a flamboyant display of energy. It made the hunt far harder, but at least Kulain had a better idea of where to look.

Then he felt a brief, almost imperceptible stir as the other used magic to cover his trail. Fog began to pour down the sides of the valley.

So be it. The hunt was on, and Kulain would not allow himself to be defeated. He continued to search, moving far faster than a human. At least the fog the enemy had created had some benefits. For he could move far faster than humans without hindrance, in its concealment.

"Blood........" the Zombie hissed, the word barely recognisable in its misshapen mouth. Eagerly, it reached for Ricky, grabbing at the young cop's hair, and pulling his head back. The other zombie that knelt on his back hissed in agreement. Ricky cried out hoarsely, and struggled uselessly. They were far stronger than human, the force that animated their decaying bodies more than made up for their disintegrating condition. Ricky suddenly realised why there had been odd body parts left at the scene of two of the recent atrocities. The killers weren't human. At least, not any more.....

The zombie chuckled again and a bony finger was extended to press painfully into his throat, as if testing the succulence of the flesh. The zombie nodded to its companion. Then Ricky saw the second one's hand, with its long curving nails, reaching down to caress his throat. He swallowed convulsively as the nails stroked his throat. Then he saw the bowl that was placed under him and he realised that he was going to die.

"No!"

The word wasn't his, someone else had spoken. Before Ricky could take in that fact, the weight was wrenched away from him and flung with incredible strength against a grave marker. As it feebly struggled to rise again, a dark form lunged past Ricky and he had a brief glimpse of long talons arching downwards. Then his attacker was literally torn to pieces. The form moved to the still stirring second attacker and finished him off.

Ricky pressed his forehead against the cool marble beneath him, too stunned to move, drawing in long, shuddering breaths as he realised how close he had come to death.

"A life!" The voice was low but authoritative. It cut through the fog in his brain, and the young cop lifted his head to look at his rescuer. Kulain leaned in casual amusement, against a tomb. He casually seated himself on it. Ricky stood up shakily and moved away from the foul smelling corpses. He stumbled forward, unconsciously moving closer to the safety of Kulain's commanding presence.

"You owe me a life, Officer Caruso. In my culture, that means you must do me a service in return. Serve my body's needs and there will be no debt between us."

Ricky shivered as he watched his rescuer. The thought of being left alone in this terrible place was more than he could bear. He nodded finally.

"What do you want from me?" Ricky said hoarsely. His green eyed gaze intersected with Kulain's The demon gave a wicked smile, that made Ricky tremble with more than cold or fear.

"Something I don't get from any other being, little one....... Worship me!" There was a low undertone of darkness in the demon's voice that made Ricky momentarily dizzy. He found himself staring at the erection that had suddenly begun to rise between his rescuer's legs. Before he could analyse his reactions, he had fallen to his knees before the big demon. His legs felt incredibly weak and shaky, so the young cop had little choice but to obey the unspoken demand. The position put him a foot away from Kulain, with his face level with the demon's bulging maleness. He moaned in fear, his eyes drawn unwilling to the huge swelling of Kulain's erection. Kulain leaned back on his marble resting place, and one hand reached down to free his erection from restrictive human style clothing.

Ricky Caruso moaned when he saw the size of it, longer and thicker than a human's, surely at the limits of human tolerance. He backed away slightly, saw the demon lips curve in amusement.

"Well, pretty one? Show me how much you owe me for saving your life...."

Ricky shook his head in terror, momentarily speechless.

"..... I can't....." he whispered.

Unexpectedly. Kulain laughed. Ricky flushed, and as the demon's amusement intensified, the young cop glared at his rescuer, fear forgotten.

"I'm not scared of you!" he snarled, bravado momentarily overcoming caution.

"Prove it!" Kulain challenged.

Ricky knew what Kulain wanted. Some form of sex as payment for a life. He had agreed to this. But he hadn't thought the consequences through. In the end, he didn't actually know how to pleasure another man. He had never even contemplated such an act.

"How?" Ricky said nervously.

Kulain watched the human try to figure out how to avoid the situation he found himself in. Did Ricky know how obvious he was making it that he was a virgin with men? Probably not, though his desperate exertions on behalf of his virtue were only serving to make Kulain want him more. The urge to play with one's prey, after the capture, but before he moved in to finish the game.

Finally, Kulain relented a little.

"Use your hands, little one. That will satisfy me...... for now."

Ricky Caruso's eyes narrowed a little. But when it became obvious to the young cop that he wasn't going to be nailed to the floor and raped within an inch of his life, he relaxed slightly. Hesitantly, nervously, one hand reached forward to touch another male's erection for the first time. Ricky gasped at the heat thrown off by Kulain's stiff member. It felt heavy in his hands, so hard that he felt a little shiver run down his spine at the thought of what it must be like to have that powering its way inside you. The demon hissed at the feel of the young cop's inexpert touch.

Hesitantly, Ricky ran his fingers along Kulain's cock from base to tip. The demon closed his eyes and sighed in pleasure. The singing of his blood from his earlier hunt was still present. It would take little effort at the moment to satisfy him. Then Ricky Caruso began to pull at the erection he held, in imitation of the masturbatory strokes he used when he sought his own pleasure. Then he began to rub at the glistening tip, spreading the glistening droplets of pre-cum across the swollen head and trailing his fingers across the veined length of it. Kulain moaned, barely able to hold himself back from plundering the human, and finding out what treasures his blue uniform concealed. Right now, Ricky's face was fixed in concentration, perhaps not as indifferent as he pretended.

xx

It was strange to be doing this. In a way awesome. That one of the most powerful beings in the world was in his hands, sensually stirring as he was brought to satisfaction by Ricky Caruso, small town cop. Yet it was also terrifying. Ricky had never done this sort of thing before. Why only the sort of street scum he arrested daily gave hand jobs to men in public places. Why did the thought make him breath faster? Why did he stare in fascination at the drops of liquid that formed at the tip of Kulain's cock? Why did his mind keep producing the most erotic, blasphemous images of himself, lying on white, silken sheets while Kulain.......

He found himself breathing hard, panting almost, as his hands moved ever faster in their busy task.

Kulain cried out hoarsely, and a shudder ran through his big frame. Hands reached out and caught at Ricky, claws momentarily emerging and catching in the dark fabric of Ricky's jacket as Kulain came. Jets of pearly semen spurted from the tip of Kulain's penis, with more than human force, and splattered across the younger man's face and hair, momentarily catching the light like a line of glittering jewels. Kulain gently stroked the bowed head, hearing the shuddering breaths gradually steady as Ricky's heartbeat slowed, and his body recovered from the unexpected exertion. Kulain ran a taloned hand through the human's hair, finely combing it with his talons. The human allowed the caress. He looked dazed, as if he was sleepwalking. Irresistibly, Kulain kissed him, a hard, demanding kiss that made the human moan, and cling to him momentarily, before he regained his composure, and pushed the demon away from his lips..

Ricky lifted a finger, and wiped a sticky droplet from his cheek. The finger slowly descended towards Ricky's kiss reddened lips, carrying a pearly droplet. The lush lips parted, the finger closer than ever to them. The droplet started to trickle down Ricky's finger, and the young cop turned his hand, watching the motion. The human's head tilted as he started to slide his finger between those responsive lips Kulain tensed slightly, his lips curving in pleased anticipation of the total possession of Ricky Caruso. The moment that his essence would enter the human and bind him, body and soul to the demon forever.

But some feral instinct in the human must have sensed Kulain's tension. The green eyes suddenly widened as if Ricky suddenly realised what he was doing.

With a gasp of horror, Ricky Caruso jerked away from Kulain, flinging his hand wide. The droplet flew away from him, splattering against marble, as he shook his head, eyes wide in denial.

"No.....!"

He was on his feet and running away from Kulain, terror at his own actions making him flee as far away as possible from Kulain, panicked and uncomprehending. He wiped his hand frantically against his thigh, trying to wipe away the feel of the demon seed on his fingers.

Kulain sighed as he watched Caruso flee. The human really was exquisite. The best ones were, of course, the hardest to capture and tame.

xx

Ricky stared dully at his reflection in the men's room mirror of the police station. He had called for backup, when he had finally found his patrol car, but no trace of Grace could be found. The search still continued, despite the fog which was thicker than ever. He had been sent back to the station to give a statement, but it was clear that his confused tale of zombies and demons wasn't believed.

Despite his efforts to conceal the evidence, the droplets of semen had dried to whiteness on his skin and clothing within minutes. He thought, briefly, that he looked like a whore. It was in his hair, on his blue shirt and his one and only dark police jacket. And worse still, the Police chief, his boss, had noticed something amiss. Ricky had seen the eyes widen, and something suspiciously like contempt had crossed the older man's face. Ricky closed his eyes and rested his head for a moment against the coolness of the mirror. God knows what they thought he had been doing when his partner had disappeared. He doubted somehow, whether his career was going to survive this.

He tugged the jacket off, intending to scrub at it in the sink. He could smell the demon's essence, a musky aroma that carried with it a hint of some dizzying scent, one that made his heart beat faster and sent a wave of heat through his body. Other parts of his body stirred, as almost unconsciously, he buried his face in the dark fabric and rubbed it against his face. Then jerked back as he realised how easily he was being carried away once again by his most secret desires.

He began to frantically scrub at the deposits, trying to hide the evidence of his encounter. Too little, too late. He was shocked to the core at his own compliance with Kulain's desires. Deeply and utterly ashamed of his own actions. How could he have sunk so low? To touch another man was horror enough for the young cop, having been brought up in a deeply conservative home. But with a demon! And afterwards, to automatically reach out to lick his hand clean .......

He doubled up over the sink and began to void the contents of his stomach. And he continued to retch, long after he had done just that.

xx

Another disappearance. And as luck would have it, at the opposite end of town from where they had been searching. Mulder sighed, and sank down on a bench in the outer office of the Police Station. He was tired from spending most of the day walking through tangled undergrowth and swampy edge-of-town wasteland. He could really use a shave and a shower right now. Then something hot and juicy from the steak-house, maybe. Alex, as always, had more energy, so had followed the cops to the scene of the latest outrage. If there was anything there, he would find it.

Mulder rubbed at his eyes tiredly, then leaned back and surveyed the room. He saw a door swing open and to his surprise, the young cop they had seen earlier emerged. He really did look like Alex. He also looked just about as tired and miserable as a man could get. He really did look so much like Alex. It was uncanny.

Mulder found himself almost reflexively moving towards the human. Later he would reason with himself that he was acting as though this was Alex. But somehow, he had to comfort the unhappy young cop. He stood in front of Ricky, and reached out towards the seated man. And perhaps because he was so tired, so confused by the day's events, Ricky didn't try to resist Mulder as he tilted the young cop's chin up to peer into slightly dazed green eyes. Ricky looked adorable, slightly flustered by Fox Mulder's touch, yet instinctively responding to the compassion in the Tower employee's eyes.

Innocent green eyes, Mulder realised in surprise. When had Alex ever been without that knowing smile or the dangerous edge brought by a life of hardship unimagined by most people. Ricky's distinctive naivete was like an aura about the young cop, something Mulder realised he could perceive only because of his inhuman instincts. There was a lingering trace of Kulain's scent, overlaying that of the young cop, a spicy hint of maleness and sex. Kulain had been amusing himself already then. But not fully. Mulder couldn't sense any demon quality within Ricky. Not yet.

Was this how Kulain saw the world? No wonder he sought out beautiful men like Sean or Ricky. To taste of their sweetness. Before he could reason how or why, he was moving forward to kiss the utterly fuckable lips, covering them with his own in a kiss that took control of the perfect mouth, plundering it, sliding his tongue inside and taking what he desired. Ricky moaned, and for a moment kissed back, unable to resist the singing in his blood, as he reacted to the demon presence close to him.

Then he was slammed against the wall, as Mulder's kiss became more fierce, more intense. Ricky gasped, and the sound was smothered by the pressure of the mouth covering his. He wanted to cling to the other man with every fibre of his being. He could feel Fox Mulder's arousal, and almost instinctively, he arched his body against Mulder's, grinding his own hardness against the others thigh as it pressed insistently between his legs.

Fortunately or not, it was at that moment that the Police Captain emerged from his office with some of his men and it was his cry of shock that broke the spell. An aghast Ricky saw a group of his colleagues staring at him as he very publicly flushed his career down the drain.

With all his strength, he pushed Mulder away, and fled, ignoring the puzzled glances of other, as yet ignorant colleagues as he ran down the hallways and out into the early evening darkness. The story would get around soon enough about what Ricky Caruso got up to when he should have been on duty.

Mulder closed his eyes and leaned against the wall. How could he have been so stupid? Not only had he compromised the professional relationship he had with another law enforcement colleague, but he had also tried to betray Alex. A fine time to decide he liked his sex in public. For he had been ready to fuck the young cop through the wall, and nothing else had mattered in those few moments except the feel of the warm human body against his.

As prey?

xx

Ricky ran, his heart thundering, stressed beyond his limits by what Kulain, and now Fox Mulder, had tried to do to him. They both wanted him. And to his eternal horror and shame, he had wanted to be taken. He had wanted to accept their kisses and more..... And it had been so very hard to resist his own traitorous body. He had to get away. He ran desperately towards the darkened parking lot that lay nearby, intending to drive to his small apartment and shower again and again until he felt clean again. Until he didn't smell of demons and sex any more. He never saw the figure climbing out of the rental car, only felt the impact as he collided clumsily with Alex Krycek and both of them fell in a tangle of limbs to the ground.

Alex smothered a curse and struggled free of the weight pressing down on him, barely noting the firm muscularity of the other's body. He knew who it was, his night vision was adequate to that task. His hated rival. The cop who looked so much like him that he had piqued the interest of Kulain. Alex also had a dawning suspicion that Mulder was following his pack leader's example, and was more than a little curious about Officer Ricky Caruso. But perhaps he was just being paranoid.....?

Maintaining an expression of neutrality, he dusted himself off and then raised his eyes to scan the cop's face. He hadn't intended to show any reaction to the other. But that was before he caught the scent of Ricky Caruso.

A heady mixture of human pheromones, nowhere near as potent as their demon counterparts. But enough to broadcast lingering traces of the human's arousal from so close a distance. And something else, that made Alex's nostrils flare in annoyance. The familiar musky scent of Kulain's seed, faint, as if hours old.

And most impossible of all, the recent, delectable scent, sweet to him as a perfume, of Fox Mulder.

Something dark uncoiled within him, and before he knew what he was doing, he had raised his fist and punched Caruso full in the face. He had a brief glimpse of wide eyed shock, then Ricky Caruso, blood streaming down from his probably broken nose, aimed a smart right cross at Alex's face. There was nothing wrong with the cop's reactions, stunned or not. The blow impacted on Alex's cheekbone, and would produce a spectacular contusion in hours to come.

Then the two of them were wildly fighting, throwing punches at each other, Alex letting out all of the anxiety and insecurity he felt, while Ricky was only too glad to ease his frustration in a good old fist fight. Within a few moments, however, he began to realise that he was more than outclassed by the phenomenal strength of the Tower employee. It was when Alex was astride him, Ricky's head between his hands, pounding his rival's skull against the tarmac that Ricky began to worry. Alex Krycek's fists were like steel, hammering again and again into his chest and stomach. And suddenly, it was no longer a fight to win, but a contest for survival. It was hard just to hold the other man at bay, to block those fists from the more delicate areas of his body.

With a snarl of frustration at the human's defensive tactics, Alex shifted. And suddenly Ricky was beneath a green eyed demon, and the fists were now claws. He shrieked as long sharp claws tore into the thick fabric of the jacket covering his forearm, then tried to score along the side of his face. With a last, desperate effort, he twisted his body so that he could reach a rock lying on the ground nearby. And he brought it up in an arc whose intersection was Alex Krycek's head.

Ricky saw the green eyes go very wide, then the light died in them as Alex slumped unconscious to the ground.

Oh shit! Now what was he going to do?

A solution presented itself. He would drive the other man back to the hotel and leave him there, where he could get proper help. Then Ricky decided he was going to hand in his notice and get the hell out of town.

By the time he had driven half way across town, there were signs that Alex was stirring. The older man groaned, and his clawed demon hands scrabbled at the upholstery in a reflex action. Ricky swore softly to himself, and pulled the car over a block away from the hotel. He somehow managed to get Alex in through the service entrance and left him. As if he didn't already have enough trouble without this!

xx

Alex really felt odd. There was an ache in his head and his brain felt full of the fog that had been swirling around the valley all day. Groggily, he sat up, trying to remember how he had got there. All he could recall was being in the car coming back from a crime scene, then...... Nothing. If only his head didn't ache so. He stumbled into the lift car and made his way back to his room, his inhuman vitality lending him strength.

Kulain looked up when he entered, his expression quizzical when he saw that Alex's appearance was so rough and unkempt. Then his nose wrinkled. There was, for a moment, a hauntingly familiar scent about Alex. But the stink of human blood was the dominating factor that overwhelmed his senses. It was one thing his race excelled in detecting. He approached Alex, who watched him with an odd look of confusion in his eyes. Kulain reached for Alex's hand, and traced his fingers across the splintered talons.

"Alex?" Kulain expressed gentle concern for his beloved partner.

Mulder chose that moment to enter. He whistled as he took in Alex's rumpled appearance.

"Tough day, love?"

The pain in Alex's head abruptly intensified, as a fragment of memory emerged.

"Get off me!" He yanked his hand away from Kulain. "Don't touch me! You don't want me anyway. You want that cop!"

They were both staring at him now. And he knew something else with certainty.

"You kissed him Fox. You both want him! You don't want me any more!"

Before either of his partners could react, he lashed out with his claws at Kulain, and connected, the claws sinking deep into the other's cheek, lacerating. He heard Mulder's horrified gasp.

Then Alex saw something dark and deadly rise up in the demon's eyes, and he screamed in terror. He flung himself backwards with demon fast reflexes, and crashed out of the hotel window, falling from the third floor window to the street. Only those same reflexes making him land in a catlike stance saved his life. Then he was running in a blind panic, away, anywhere distant from Kulain. And it was only the pain in his head that finally stopped him, as he fell, clawing at the agony in his skull. Bright, impossible images swirled around him in the fog, and he whimpered in confusion and despair.

xx

Mulder had watched Alex's bizarre behaviour with disbelief. And then he had seen in dismay, what Alex had done. He had never seen such a terrible cold anger in Kulain before. It made him want to run and hide himself. But then he had seen the demon tense, as if to follow Alex. And before he could consider the danger he was in, he had leapt in front of Kulain, blocking his path. For a brief instant, he looked death in the face. And forced himself to reach out a trembling hand to touch Kulain in appeal.

Incredibly, Kulain turned aside his wrath. The demon turned instead to the hotel room, and began to systematically destroy the fixtures, working out his rage on inanimate objects instead. What the hell had made Alex behave like that. Surely he couldn't have seen......

But what if he had?

xx

There is a rigidly established social hierarchy, with a dominant male in charge of the group, and the others ranged below him in varying degrees of subordination. As the group stays together all the time, his role as a group tyrant is incessantly operative. He asserts himself when something crops up that cannot be shared, or when there are signs of a revolt or unruly fighting amongst the younger males.

Desmond Morris—The Naked Ape

xx

Alex Krycek had spent last night and most of the morning huddled miserably in the basement of an old warehouse. He sat on the dusty floor, leaning back against the wall behind him, knees drawn up with his arms wrapped around them. His head was throbbing with the most exquisitely torturous pain, and he possessed no greater ambition at this point than to stay where he was and let his enhanced metabolism cope with the injury the little slut had given him. How the hell had an untrained human got the better of him? He hadn't been beaten by a human in a fight for a long, long time. And then to so mess up things with his lovers. He ought to know by now that Fox was his. His whole knee-jerk reaction had been based on a single whiff of Mulder's scent on the cop's clothing. But the thought of anyone with his Fox was unbearable. He found it easier to understand Kulain's desire for the cop. Kulain was..... well..... assertive when it came to sex.

But it would have been so much better to have killed the cop.

Now Kulain was angry with him; he shivered at the thought. And Fox was probably so worried.

If only his headache would go away, he might feel like trying to straighten out his life. But for the moment, he would stay there. Let Kulain calm down and let Fox become a little more anxious, more appreciative....... Time could only work to his advantage. Tomorrow would be soon enough to sort this mess out

With a self-pitying sigh, he leaned his head against the welcome coolness of the wall behind him, preparing to enjoy a good sulk.

xx

Alex Krycek hadn't returned all day. Not that Kulain expected him back at the moment. Their fierce dispute had scared his beautiful, challenging Alex and it would take time for the green eyed assassin to regain his equilibrium. Mulder was out searching for him right now, but when Alex didn't want to be found, there was little likelihood of Mulder being successful. There was no-one who could match Alex Krycek for slyness. Alex was like a skittish thoroughbred, finely tuned, sensitive to a threat. Hard to gentle such a one.

He knew that Alex had smelt of blood and pain. He knew also, the pressures Alex would feel as his instinctive territorial desires came into play. Demons often fought over hunting space, and availability of prey. But still, Kulain had been caught unawares by the violence of his lover's reaction. So foolish, even careless of him to assume his control of Alex was total. Like stepping in the path of a tornado. Not necessarily fatal for his kind, but assuredly painful and destructive. There had been a torment in those eyes as Alex was driven beyond the bounds of sense or reason. And Kulain had been there to blame for all Alex's many insecurities.

Alex was so beautiful, but so disrespectful. And Kulain's instincts warred with reason, as he felt the surge of the beast within him. He had disciplined Alex once before, and lost himself in the sweetness of that lush body. And now it was so much harder to repress the urge to find his wayward lover, and teach Alex his place in the scheme of things.

Which would always be subordinate to his pack leader.

The urge to press that body beneath his and bite, to take and hear the ecstatic whimpers after Alex grovelled and begged forgiveness, and was generously pardoned....... Eventually!

Kulain sighed. With thoughts like this, he was more than ready to ready to sheath himself in the delectable flesh of a willing human. But Mulder had gone after Alex, and Sean was still in Washington. Which left only his pretty little cop, who was alas not ready for a demon in his bed. Unless an unexpected stroke of luck delivered him to his master on a platter.

Ah well, perhaps if he fed, it would take the edge off more than one of his appetites.

Kulain slipped out into the darkness and began to hunt.

xx

The scent of demon invaded the very air around this accursed town. Or so it seemed. The sorcerer could sense his most dangerous opponent nearby, moving in a hunting pattern, seeking prey. Oh yes, he knew quite well this type of being. He had encountered them before in the dim and distant past, when he was weaker and less confident about facing one in combat. He had prudently withdrawn and his presence had remained unknown to the demon. But the failed combat had made him plan for the day he would meet such a formidable opponent again. The stakes were high this time. His very existence depended on gathering sufficient resources to survive in this unexpectedly hostile world, full of threatening demon kin.

He would have to call upon the dark gods who dwelt in the deepest reaches of the Netherworld. The pre-human, primeval evil from the limits of hell that even a demon would fear. The thought of it chilled even his undead flesh. But there would also be benefits to such a partnership. The human servant of such a being would be granted so much power, if the dark one was released from the place where it was incarcerated.

He called his zombie servants to him, and issued a series of commands. Certain preparations were under way. Ten screaming captives were about to be sacrificed, and certain passages would be solemnly intoned from the forbidden book, the Necronomicon. And one of his captives would be chosen by the dark forces he called upon, reanimated as a host for the nameless one.

The demon would die. And then there would be no force strong enough to withstand him.

He drew the book towards him and began the ritual.

xx

Ricky cursed Kulain. He cursed Fox Mulder. And most of all, he cursed himself for being so weak and stupid that he had yielded to their advances. Publicly! The last time had been right in the Police Station, in front of his own Police Chief. If he had wanted to commit social and career suicide, he couldn't have chosen a better method. This morning when he had talked in the Chief's office, last night's little incident hadn't been mentioned. The chief didn't really need to give a reason for suspending Ricky from duty for a week after the young cop had lost his partner. But the contempt had been there in the chief's face, and more than one of his fellow officers had sniggered when they saw him. The most humiliating moment had been when he had gone to collect his gear from the locker room, and he had found a half dozen packets of condoms taped to the front of his locker. His face flaming, he couldn't get out of there fast enough. And the sly comments from his colleagues as he made his way out of the building. He couldn't get out of there fast enough.

And after that he had just walked, needing to get his thoughts straight. He felt so desperately confused over his feelings for the two attractive men who had entered his life. Except one of them wasn't a man, but something much darker and more frightening. Ricky swore softly, and shivered at the sudden chill he felt. Well, at least his nose wasn't broken. For a moment, he had thought Krycek had broken it, but the bruising was spectacular enough, and just another source of speculation for his colleagues.

He ended up outside a construction site, a few minutes walk out of town, and sank down onto the edge of a steel girder, to sit and work things out.

His father would be the first to turn his back on his son. For years, John Caruso had called his son effeminate and spineless at the slightest hint of weakness. Now he would claim that he had known all along how the young fool would turn out. Nothing Ricky had ever done had pleased him. Wearing a police uniform was a poor second to joining the Marines and proving himself a man like his father had in 'Nam and many other conflicts, as a serving military officer.

Ricky pulled out his shining Police shield and stared at it in hopeless misery. Failed yet again! Just like his father said he would! With a low cry of grief, he flung the badge as far as he could, and heard it clatter among some nearby sewer pipes that were piled up, awaiting installation in a nearby trench. What was the point of it all? His career was finished, and he was sure that the Police Chief would spread the word about his failures if he tried to get another job in law enforcement. For a moment, he felt the hot sting of tears against his cheeks. Damn Kulain. Damn them all.

The distant sound of thunder seemed to echo his dark mood. Odd, so soon after fog. He didn't pursue the thought. His mind was still trying to sort out his troubles. What choices did he face in the end? Two of them. To go back home, tail between his legs, or to brazen things out with his fellow officers. Neither option would be easy.

He wasn't a damned quitter! Why the hell should he let them drive him out of town! He could at least try to repair his faltering career. Then at least he would have done his best. Besides, facing his father was by far the worst option!

Shit! He had just thrown his badge away! He cringed at the thought of explaining away its loss to the already furious Chief. With a sigh, he scrambled over a pile of gravel, and began to search for the lost badge. It took a lot of searching, but at last he found it. More or less. He only found it when he noticed a tiny gleam of something reflecting the distant streetlight, from deep inside one of the narrow sewer pipes.

Ricky cursed softly under his breath and shrugged off his jacket. Perhaps if he made his body as small as possible, he could reach it. He stooped and began to worm his way into the narrow pipe. It just seemed wide enough. He was sure he was going to make it, if he kept his shoulders as close as possible to his body. He strained forward with his arms, finding one or two imperfections on the inner side of the pipe which enabled him to inch himself forwards. His shoulders and chest were now inside the narrow tube, squashed painfully close to the side of the pipe. His police shield was now within a few inches of his left hand, but in order to reach it, he would have to stretch that small distance. There was only one possible solution. With a kick of his feet, he managed to edge those extra few inches, leaving his feet dangling off the ground, and greatly reducing the leverage his body had.

Got it!

He began to wriggle his body backwards, to exit the pipe. And found to his complete disgust, that he was stuck fast. The pipe must have imperceptibly narrowed, because his shoulders were immovably wedged in the cramped space. And now with his legs and lower body dangling out of the pipe, he was unable to gain any purchase at all to help his movements.

Shit!

xx

The sorcerer had completed the ritual. Ten human bodies lay in contorted positions in a huge circle, as he raised a cone of power, using their pain to call on the dark gods. He knew, almost from the instant that he had begun, that it would be a success. And the moment he spoke the final syllables of the ritual, he felt the nameless one come in a blast of icy cold air that knocked him off his feet. And with the downdraft, there was an almighty detonation of thunder as the other crossed over into the human world. For a moment, there was a stunned silence, then the sorcerer saw a strange luminescent glow hovering in the air. With a suggestion about it of writhing tentacles and teeth in a mouth that resembled a giant squid's beak. The sorcerer felt even his dark soul begin to wither at the sight. Then the light plunged towards one of the recumbent bodies, and the corpse stirred and sat up.

The sorcerer's eyes widened in surprise. An unexpected choice of host. But on second thoughts quite masterful. There was advantage in this. He grinned savagely, and went to make his respectful obeisance to the god-possessed body of Officer Grace Mayberry.

xx

Ricky had faced more than one humiliation in the last few days, but this would definitely end his career. Full stop! Not that he would be censured. No, worse. Trapped head and shoulders in an old pipe, ass in the air! He would be laughed out of town. He pressed his head to the concrete floor of the pipe and silently offered the powers-that-be anything to get him out of this mess.

Long minutes of yelling for help later, he knew that there was no one within range of his increasingly desperate shouts.

Worse, it was getting cold as night fell, and he was probably going to be in bad shape if he had to stay the night here. Another desperate wriggle only served to jam him tighter in the pipe. Surely some passer by would see his body sticking out and investigate. It wasn't every day you saw a uniformed cop in this sort of situation.

The hand that slowly stroked its way down his outer thigh was totally unexpected. He yelped in shock. Then relief flooded him; he had been found. He wasn't going to spend the night on the damn construction site.

"Help me! Please. I'm stuck fast!" Ricky's voice was still slightly shrill from panic.

"So I see, Officer Caruso." A darkly velvet chuckle followed his rescuer's remark.

Oh god! Kulain!

Of all the people who could have found him, it had to be the only one Ricky didn't want to be touched by. He wriggled again, desperate now. If things had been bad before, then now he was really scared. He would rather have spent the night here than stay another moment in Kulain's utterly disturbing presence. Eventually, he subsided, stifling his totally useless struggles.

Fingers slowly traced down his thigh again. This time he knew who was touching him, and the implications of that particular being touching him like that didn't escape him.

"Don't.......," he pleaded, but somehow his voice had faded to a whisper. "No...."

The response was laughter.

"Do you know what a pretty offering you make, Officer Caruso? How tempting your body looks like that? The hand strayed across him, unavoidable, no longer on the outside of his leg, but stroking the inside of his thigh now, working its way oh so slowly upwards. He squirmed, but the hand followed his movements. Inescapable. Relentless.

So very good.

He felt his body begin to react, the swelling hardness that seemed to be his body's inevitable response to Kulain. And this time he was helpless to get away from the demon. The touch was a velvet softness at the top of his thigh, straying along the crease at the top of his leg.

No!

He could feel that so-delicate caress against the base of his balls, across his perineum. He couldn't escape it, could only submit to the demon's attentions. If only that touch wasn't driving him out of his mind! Without realising it, he was panting now, part of him responding to Kulain instinctively, wanting to offer himself. He moaned in denial.

The light tease of semi-clawed fingers continued until they found the evidence of his body's betrayal, then there was another chuckle.

Oh no! Anything but this!

Ricky Caruso squirmed in humiliation. Tried to pretend this wasn't happening to him. Tried to force away his unwilling arousal by thinking of zombies, monsters, whatever his mind could conjure up.

........Spreading himself on silken sheets..........

"So, little one. That's the way of it!" The demon caressed the bulge between Ricky's legs. He could almost perceive the way Kulain must be smiling wickedly. He had to try one more time to persuade Kulain to free him.

"Please...... Help me out. Don't do this, I'm begging you...."

"I can help you out..... Oh yes!" Kulain was almost purring. Ricky realised with sudden horror, that what he had said could have a double meaning. And they both knew which interpretation Kulain would prefer. With an incoherent sound of dread, the young cop struggled wildly.

Then he felt it, the gentle touch of long fingers undoing his belt and then removing it.

It was going to happen then, as he had feared for so long. And he was helpless before it. He began to quietly sob, trying to ignore his hated physical reaction to Kulain. The want that even now was making a mockery of all his protests. It was worse that the demon's touch was so unexpectedly gentle. Almost considerate.

Arms went round his waist, and momentarily he could feel the warmth of Kulain's body pressing into him from behind. With an unmistakable maleness that felt iron hard, between his ass cheeks. Ricky hated it that Kulain's warmth felt so good in the cool night air. He hated the wave of anticipation that made his own erection surge, and most of all, he hated the hand that gently drew down his zipper and slipped inside, freeing his erection from the painful constriction of his clothes.

Kulain began to slowly and methodically strip his prize and there was nothing Ricky could do to stop it.

And his cock was so hard now that it was bobbing against his belly, already oozing wetness, cool against the evening air.

There was an absence of sensation for a few minutes, then the warmth was back, delicious and so much hotter than before, as Kulain's body again pressed against his from behind. Ricky realised that now they were both naked, and he whimpered softly. He would find out then, what that great erection that he had seen before felt like. That was even now a probing hardness against him.

"Relax little one. I don't want to hurt you....... Surrender to me......"

Ricky shook his head, before he realised that Kulain wouldn't see it. But the movement of his body must have told Kulain his prey's intentions, because there was a soft sigh. He felt the warm breath exhaling against his back.

"So be it!"

There was a finality about the response that made Ricky whimper. Then the fingers were back, something cool and slick on them making him shiver. Then he realised Kulain's intent and screamed, even as the first finger began to slide inside him. He went wild, trying to get away, not only from the trap he found himself in, but his own betraying body. For the touch that was gently working open his tightness was like nothing he had ever experienced before.

So very good

Eventually, he stilled, when he realised that he was in fact making it easier for Kulain, his struggles somehow taking on the rhythm of the unhurried strokes that were repeatedly entering and withdrawing from his body. Then two fingers were in him, opening him. Then three. Moving inside him with exquisite thoroughness. Touching sensitive virgin flesh, indescribable, not hurting now, but drawing his body and mind into that leisurely rhythm.

Kulain smiled in satisfaction. Ricky was his now, his beautiful body moving in time to the sliding fingers that were stroking his prostate. The young cop was moaning wantonly, seeking the touch that was driving him crazy, trying to follow the demon's caresses, his legs fallen open and his ass raised high. For a while, the demon had doubted whether this fiery young human could be tamed, but the happy accident of finding Ricky in such a compromising position was greatly to his advantage. Nor would the human be able to deny his own pleasure. Kulain stared down at the lush body beneath him, so open and ready. And with another of his wicked grins, resolved to ride this human to his limits and beyond while he had the opportunity. For his latest feisty lover would be more than a little annoyed when he was freed. Though by then he would be firmly in Kulain's possession.

What was happening to him? Why couldn't he keep his body still? He wanted....... wanted.........

Ricky moaned, long and deep, no longer fighting. It was as if there was something incomplete inside him that craved this. And he no longer had the power to resist. In fact, the slow movement of Kulain's hand was driving him out of his mind. Then the touch was withdrawn. Ricky wailed at the sudden emptiness, begging incoherently for the touch to begin again. He heard distant laughter.

"Do you want me to stop now, little one?"

Sobbing with need, before he could stop himself Ricky pleaded for more. Then, suddenly, something huge and diamond hard was forcing its way inside him, with a relentless pressure that made him scream in pain.

NO. This wasn't what he had begged for. This wasn't pleasure. This was......

Kulain's pretty human was ready for his initiation into the mysteries of demon sex. There had been time to engage in a little mindfuckery. Making the human beg for his own conquest. It was more satisfying, and the young cop would have no way of denying his own consent.

Ricky was so very hot and tight as the big demon pushed his way in. Kulain was as gentle as possible, considering his latest partner was being taken for the first time. He carefully worked his way deeper, until finally, he was impaling the other. He could hear the small noises of distress Ricky was making, and stilled his movements, so that the human could grow accustomed to his larger partner. Then finally, moving cautiously at first, he began the human's initiation into undreamed of pleasures.

It hurt.

Despite the surprising care he sensed from Kulain, Ricky twisted in discomfort, unable to escape his fate. He was only half-aware of his partner's gently soothing caresses, and the strong arms holding him steady. His trapped fists clutched the badge convulsively. Then mercifully, Kulain began to withdraw. Momentarily, Ricky gasped in relief. Then the demon was pushing back into his prey, in the start of an indescribable rhythm. And on the third stroke, the demon changed the angle of his attack, and Ricky screamed, as a pleasure beyond anything he had ever experienced exploded into his body.

He lost whatever sanity he had for long minutes after that, as he was taken so expertly that he would have sold himself without a thought to stay in those strong arms, feeling that incredible fire. Wanton once again, he spread himself as wide as he could and begged deliciously for more. He could no longer hold back his moans of passion. No one had ever hinted it could be like this!

Kulain sheathed himself repeatedly in the luscious body, feeling his conquered new pet writhing and shameless, his previously demure disposition forgotten. He felt the human's body begin to tighten convulsively around him and speeded up his thrusts, to match the human's timing. Ricky began to scream. The sound was like a trigger to Kulain, a signal that ignited inhuman instincts to plunder his prey ever deeper, and strive for release.

Ricky came, jetting semen splattering his stomach and once again staining part of his shirt. And felt a sudden hot surge inside him, even as he slid into a dead faint.

Kulain sagged forward over the unconscious human, momentarily spent, then kissed the younger man's shoulder. Ricky moaned softly.

With a satisfied expression, Kulain exerted his immense strength to free the human from his temporary prison. He laid Ricky on the ground and knelt by him, gently stroking the human's tousled hair. And yielding to temptation, quickly licked the human's seed away off his plaything's flat belly. There was of course the problem of the human being infected by his seed. He pressed his fingers to the sides of the human's abdomen, and traced black fire along the smooth skin in a release of energy. He had acted to suppress the change for a while, since he had the power to delay infection for a while, if Ricky was kept close to him. An evolutionary advantage. No point in frightening the already nervous human any further. Then with a grin, he gently bit the warm shoulder, marking his prey as his.

Green eyes flickered open eventually, and dazedly looked up at their new master. Kulain leaned forward and kissed Ricky, enjoying the human's dreamy response. He knew that Ricky would taste himself, and he was amused when he saw the human flinch in sudden realisation of what the flavour was within his mouth. The human awoke fully and tried, too late, to rid his mouth of the taste.

"Son of a bitch!" Ricky's face went white, then red with anger. "You rotten, twisted bastard....!" The anger at his treatment at Kulain's hands took over. Ricky recoiled from his lover, and shook his head in denial. Then, as Kulain watched with amusement, Ricky fumbled desperately with the pile of clothes near his feet, his dignity hopelessly compromised. His hands shaking, the human fumbled until he had covered his body up again, then fled the scene in revulsion. Already, somewhat predictably, the human was trying to deny in his mind the arousal he had felt, the way he had begged......

No matter. The little human would soon learn who his master was. And what a useful purpose he served, as a vessel for Kulain to quench his lust in. And more. As soon as Ricky began to change, as demon DNA altered his body, he would have no choice but to yield to more powerful males in Kulain's pack. It was interesting to contemplate whether the feisty young cop would compete for dominance with his other altered humans. Kulain's possessions would, in the end, establish a pecking order, or hierarchy of dominance, with Kulain at its head.

Ricky and Alex would fight. Delightfully spirited, both of them. So much more entertaining that way, and if he manipulated the situation in the right way, both would compete against the other to please him. And of course the other demons would be envious of him if he appeared among them with a matched pair of altered humans. With that pleasing thought, he started to move towards the hotel, to clean his body of the scent of sex.

xx

Ricky sank down, shuddering, onto a convenient pile of sand at the other end of the construction site, out of Kulain's sight. Then he flinched as tender tissues in his rear protested at the rough treatment he gave them. The stab of discomfort served to remind him exactly what he had just done, and with whom. To his horror, he could also feel the slight wetness and stickiness between his legs, where a demon's semen was slowly oozing its way out of his body. Sobbing, he drew his knees up and tried to ignore the state of his body, the numerous abrasions and bruises left by his various encounters that day.

Why had he done that? When the demon had finally offered to stop, why had he begged for more? Why hadn't he fought harder?

His thoughts a whirlwind of confusion and despair, he buried his head in his hands and cried. How long he did that would ever elude him, but it was probably only a few minutes. What brought him out of his state of self induced misery was the sound of footsteps as more than one person approached.

He couldn't face Kulain again. Not like this! Instinct took over, and scrambling to his feet, he dived behind the pile of sand. Not a moment too soon. A quick glance told him he definitely didn't want to meet this particular group. Half a dozen of those horrific zombies and two hooded figures. A thin individual whose face was hidden, and a shorter person, who had a suggestion of femininity in her movements. The group headed towards town, even as he watched.

Ricky was momentarily frozen with horror. The memory of the previous encounter he had with the creatures was fresh in his mind. But he couldn't just sit by and let them ambush some poor sap in town. He had to follow and try to counter whatever they were going to do. Carefully, he rose from his hiding place and began to follow at a distance, occasionally cursing to himself as his feet encountered some bodily detritus that had fallen from one of the not-so-fresh walking corpses.

xx

Kulain frowned. Something was not right with the night. Something undefined and nebulous that set his instincts on edge. A suggestion of evil. He, of all beings in the town, was most sensitive to its influence. There was some force at work that night that was inimical to his kind, and it bothered him that he couldn't pin down its cause. He should have been able to detect any threat easily enough, his power was strong enough. He stopped and cast his mind and senses outwards, trying to detect the wrongness.

Nothing!

Just the normally beneficial darkness of the night.

It wasn't right!

And his humans were out there, unguarded.

He turned and began to hurry towards the place where he had left Ricky. As the most vulnerable, it made sense to collect the young cop first. He smiled slightly despite his worry, Ricky would no doubt have to be persuaded to obey, which would be more than a little enchanting.

The weight that hit him between the shoulders and brought him crashing down was totally unexpected. He sensed the foulness of a zombie, and twisted with desperate strength to throw it off him. It was sent crashing into a nearby wall, but he knew it would be on him in a moment. It couldn't, after all, be killed. He started to shift so that he could deal with it in the traditional way. Using his claws to rip it to a million pieces, so that it could never rise again. And his mind crashed into an unexpected barrier. A spell or force of some kind had been cast around him, preventing him from assuming his most efficient form.

How?

And how hadn't he detected the zombie long before its odorous approach? The answer was quick in coming. Two shadowy forms stood watching him. The authors of his misfortune. With a growl of rage, he reached out his mind to draw upon the power that could blast worlds into dust.

The smaller of his opponents gave a small laugh, and matched his power with an immense force of its own. The struggle began.

xx

Ricky had given a sigh of relief when he had first seen Kulain. Now things would be alright. His demon would fight and defeat the other, and everyone would be safe. Kulain was the Lord of Washington, one of the most powerful of the demons. Nothing could defeat him.

But before he could yell in warning, things had begun to go wrong. For some reason, Kulain hadn't even seemed to notice the zombie until it attacked. Then stranger still, he had just stood still, staring at the smaller of the two hooded enemies.

No, not staring exactly. It was more like he was watching a struggle without physical form. And even as he realised this, things began to go wrong for Kulain. Ricky saw the demon's face suddenly register the shock of recognition, as if he had only just realised who his opponent was. Then there was the flare of lightning, wreathing both opponents for a moment. And a sudden, explosive detonation, light flaring for an instant as bright as the sun. When the dazzled Ricky finally regained his sight, he saw with disbelief, Kulain lying still on the ground at the foot of a wall, unmoving. The hooded woman gave a mad cackle, and gestured with her hand. The wall cracked from top to bottom, and in slow motion, toppled onto the motionless body, hiding it from sight.

Frozen with horror, Ricky could only stare in disbelief, as the zombie masters and their pack moved away, triumphant.

xx

His hands were cut and bleeding from pulling at the sharp brick fragments, but Ricky continued to dig frantically into the pile of debris, desperate to find Kulain. It must have taken him over half an hour, but finally he unearthed the demon's body. He didn't even understand why he cared. Why the tears were running down his face as he dug, tracking through the dirt on his face more than once.

He stared desolately at the unmoving body, then tugged with all his strength, dragging Kulain free of the rubble. Then somehow, he managed to turn the demon over so he could look at the other's face once more.

Why? With never a thought of finding the help he knew would be useless.

Why was he pressing his forehead to Kulain's, weeping hot tears as sobs racked his body? Why did he cry Kulain's name and clutch at the strong shoulders, shaking the other in an almost frantic need? Why did he feel as though he had been abandoned like a youngling? He found himself clinging to Kulain, with the other's head resting on his lap.

It was his hot tears dropping onto Kulain's face as he clutched the demon that finally brought a response.

"........Ri......Ricky......"

The softest of whispers, a ghost of a smile. With an inarticulate cry of relief, the young cop found himself clutching Kulain tighter.

".....Not so ...... easy to......ki..... kill...."

"I have to get you to a hospital! I have to......" Ricky was babbling in his relief.

"No!" Kulain's response momentarily became stronger. "Hide me, little one. I need time to...... to regain my strength. If they find that I live still......."

His youngling looked so unprotected, so vulnerable. For a moment, Kulain thought Ricky would balk at what he was being asked to do. The bonds between them were as yet so new and untried. The demon DNA that even now was making minute alterations in the human's blood and brain. A biological creation of new instincts. Then a new look of determination appeared and the young cop nodded slowly.

"Alright!"

The cop hurried away and returned a few minutes later in his beat up old Volvo. Then with a display of desperate strength, slid his arms around Kulain and began to drag the big demon towards the car. It was exceptionally difficult to manoeuvre Kulain's weakened body into the back seat, but after that it became easier. Within half an hour, Kulain was lying in Ricky Caruso's bed, deep in exhausted sleep.

xx

This was crazy! How the hell did he end up with a demon in his bed? Why had he felt such a deep loyalty to the one who had so recently used him........?

It was just right, that was all. It felt good to have Kulain's approval. It felt very good to touch his lover's body, even like this.

He wasn't aware that minute changes were taking place in his body chemistry, even now. That endorphins, the addictive natural pleasure chemicals produced in his brain, were being released into his bloodstream when he was close to Kulain, training his body in subtle fashion to respond to Kulain's desires.

And though he would feel consternation later at his own actions, it felt perfectly natural when he crept into the bedroom and curled up on the bed next to Kulain, and slept.

xx

Megaera@Megaera.demon.co.uk

Part XIII: Resistance

August 1999
E-MAIL Megaera@Megaera.demon.co.uk
FEEDBACK is life
RATING NC-17 SLASH
CONTENT WARNING m/m sex, violence, death.
CATEGORY M/K/Other, Ricky Caruso/Other
SPOILERS None
SUMMARY Mulder goes back to work on an x file. Kulain has fun.
DISCLAIMER All X Files Characters belong to Chris Carter and Fox, I've just borrowed them for a while. I am not making any profit out of this, it's just for entertainment. The character of Kulain is mine but you can use him if you like, Mr. Carter
COMMENTS This story is set in an Alternate Universe where demons can interact more freely with humans and can shapeshift. If you don't like my laws of physics, go find your own.
THANKS to Czara as always for the beta reading and the encouragement, and Rowanne for the home on Terma

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]