Moods III

Bonds
by Fleur


Piece of shit apartment.

I really hate my apartment. It's small, cramped, dirty, and god knows what lives in the walls and under the bed, it may sound childish, but I hear noises at night. The walls seem to be covered with inground dirt, because I can't see any two places which have the same shade or colour.

The carpet has bloodstains all over it, and I don't think any of them are from me. I don't tend to shoot people when they're standing in my apartment. But the stains are in various places around the floor, impossible to tell what they're from.

One day I might get the blood tested, to find out who the stains are from. Could be interesting. But I don't think I can be bothered. I don't really give a damn. I think I'll have that engraved on my tombstone, "He didn't give a damn".

If I even have a tombstone. Knowing me, I'll just have an unmarked grave somewhere far away from here. Lying where I finally stopped running, finally got killed. It's probably coming. I think I've been living on borrowed time for a while now.

Most people, I suppose, are spending this holiday with their family. I think I remember that that's what it's all about, being with your family. I can't remember when I spent a Christmas with my family; my mother committed suicide when I was very young, and my father, who I left back in Russia a long time ago, spent each Christmas getting drunk.

I don't want to turn into a sob story, the product of a broken childhood, because I really don't give a damn.

The phone half-beckons me, and I wonder why, wonder who I could call. The Smoking Man, I'm sure he'd love to get a call from me, considering how important I am to him and all.

I'd call Mulder, but I don't know why... he hates me, and I supposedly hate him, and anyway he'd be visiting family.

Well, his mother, at least. It's common knowledge what happened with his sister, and I know what happened with his father.

Right. Knowing Mulder, he'll be at home, lying on that couch of his and watching porn. That mental picture is... interesting, to say the least. I smile, despite myself.

I could go out, I suppose. What would the point be? No matter what my original destination, I'll always end up in a bar, downing glasses of vodka, and mentally complaining about the lack of quality.

The phone rings, and I startle. Moving over to it quickly, I pick it up.

"Yeah."

The voice at the other end has a distinctly Russian accent, and professional overtone.

"Alex Krycek, please."

Suspiciously, I glance at the reciever. "This is Alex Krycek."

"I'm sorry for the delay in informing you of this, Alex," the woman begins conversationally, "But records were very hazy, and we ended up only finding your name and number through a book belonging to your father."

Get to the point, I mentally will her.

"Your father Ivan was found dead in his house, two days ago."

What?

What the hell?

I frown at the phone, uncomprehending. My father, dead? It's been so long since I thought of him as a living person, that it hardly registers. I nod, without speaking, and hang up the phone.

He's dead.

Strange, that. I'm not sad... I just feel strange. It's weird. I never thought of my father as the dying type. I haven't thought of him as much, for a long time now. But now he's gone, and it's just leaving me with the weirdest feeling.

It's not that I'm disturbed by death, or not used to it, or anything else of the sort. I haven't had any close relation die, since I've been old enough to understand.

But now he's gone, and I don't know what reaction to have, how to respond.

I don't think I need to cry; I don't feel all that much like crying. I had nothing to do with him, and yet, now, when he's gone, and it's Christmas Day, I suddenly almost wish I did.

He wasn't exactly a nice person, I'm not going to lie. I didn't like the bastard much when he was living, and I don't like him much when he's dead. But he was a relation, my kin, and I can't deny that bond, which is now broken, for good.

The bond in itself has never been strong, always strained, and one gets the impression we both strained it too much, but it was always within range of mending. Now it's not; irreversibly broken.

He didn't know the first thing about me. Wasn't there to comfort me when I killed someone, or almost got killed, or when I lost my arm. He wouldn't have been sober enough to, anyway.

I didn't exactly mean much to him. A name in his book, a child long forgotten. He never bothered to find out much about me; wouldn't have known my job, even my physical appearance; he wouldn't have even known about my arm.

I don't give a damn about him.

I move to the phone, intent on phoning someone, if only to hear a voice that's vaguely familiar.

If I don't give a damn about him, why the hell am I crying?

The End
15/12/98

xx

Moods IV

angels@watercoloured.org or alexkrycek@innocent.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]